2. Finance
  3. Life Insurance

2.2/5 (12 ratings)

Find Life Insurance Companies partners near you

About Brighthouse Financial

Brighthouse Financial is one of the largest life insurance companies in the United States. The company states its mission is to help clients achieve financial security, and it offers two core products: annuities and life insurance. The company is listed on the Nasdaq stock index under the symbol BHF.

Find Life Insurance Companies partners near you

Pros

• Competitive rates
    • Minimal fees
    • Extensive coverage
    • Cash value buildup

Cons

• Requires extra steps
    • Limited offerings

Bottom Line

Overall, Brighthouse Financial is a good choice for annuities or life insurance coverage. Consider the Brighthouse SmartCare product if you’re planning your financial future.

Brighthouse life insurance

Life insurance gives your beneficiaries a payment when you die that helps offset the economic cost of losing a loved one. Brighthouse offers three life insurance products:

• Term life insurance: This product provides coverage for a set amount of years and pays a death benefit if you pass away during the covered term. Common terms for these plans include five, 10, 20 or 30 years. Term life insurance is ideal if you want to ensure you have coverage for a specific period of time or if you need a lower-cost financial protection solution.
    • Permanent life insurance: Unlike term life insurance, permanent life insurance provides coverage for your entire life. Many permanent life insurance products accrue cash value that can be used to supplement retirement income or fund your child’s education. Permanent life insurance products include whole life, variable universal life, universal life and indexed universal life.
    • SmartCare: Brighthouse Financial also offers a hybrid policy option called SmartCare, which combines a death benefit with long-term care funding. SmartCare features permanent life insurance (indexed universal care) that lets you choose between a fixed account or an equity index account to invest the cash value. This option gives you tax-deferred financial growth for retirement and provides a guaranteed death benefit as long as you maintain the premiums. You can choose to pay for a SmartCare policy in a lump sum or in installments across a determined payment schedule.

Brighthouse annuities

Brighthouse Financial annuities are designed to help you save for retirement and provide a steady stream of guaranteed income payments. Payments can be set up to start right away or at a future date, and they can last a specific number of years or for the rest of your life.

Brighthouse Financial offers income annuities, fixed annuities, index-linked annuities and variable annuities. You can only purchase Brighthouse Financial’s annuity products through a financial professional. Financial advisors can be found through your financial institution or through the FINRA BrokerCheck website.

Brighthouse prices

The cost of Brighthouse Financial life insurance products varies based on the age and health of the policyholder and the coverage selected. Policies with longer terms cost more than those with shorter terms.

Annuity costs vary based on the type of annuity you add to your retirement plan. There are several fees associated with buying an annuity, including administrative, add-ons/riders and mortality and expense risks. These fees vary by company.

Brighthouse Financial FAQ

Is Brighthouse part of MetLife?
    Brighthouse Financial is an independent company that is no longer part of MetLife. The two companies are not affiliated.
    When did Brighthouse Financial spin off from MetLife?
    Brighthouse Financial completed its separation from MetLife on August 4, 2017. A few days later, on August 7, 2017, Brighthouse Financial was listed on the Nasdaq stock index under the symbol BHF.
    Will Brighthouse Financial pay a dividend?
    Currently, the company does not pay dividends on its stock.

Is Brighthouse Financial a good company?

There are hundreds of life insurance and annuity offerings on the market, but Brighthouse Financial does a good job of combining both products. Though the company requires you to hire a financial advisor, its team is helpful and provides additional assistance. Because Brighthouse Financial has competitive rates, minimal surrender fees and strong financial ratings, we think its straightforward products could be a good fit for many people.

Brighthouse Financial Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Brighthouse Financial?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Brighthouse Financial?

Original review: July 29, 2021

I have a 15-year term policy that was previously underwritten by Met Life. The cost is very high and term expires in 6 years. Very little interaction with the company since initiating the policy 9 years ago.

Original review: July 22, 2021

I had a term policy from Brighthouse for about a decade. All of a sudden they asked for a large amount of money to “maintain my Death Benefit Guarantee Rider”. I sent the $3000+ money in. Two months later they asked for another $3000. They increased my premium significantly without warning me. The customer treatment is beyond terrible. The premium went from 324/mo. to 980/mo. Some surprise.

Get buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 22, 2021

Do not get a life insurance policy with Brighthouse Life Insurance Company. After taking my money for 10 straight years that mailed me a letter increasing the monthly amount by 1000% percent. No one will answer my questions, I was placed on hold for 45 minutes when I asked for the Legal department. The Customer Service here is awful! No one should have to FAX a complaint to them! There are better Life Insurance companies out there - don't buy from them. You are rewarding bad behavior.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2021

Purchased an annuity thru Metlife in 2015, Metlife sold to Brighthouse. Payments always on time however for past 2 months payments have been late. Today is 1/22/2021 and still waiting for payment that was supposedly sent out on 1/5/2021. Spoke with representative who was no help but did say she was emailing me information regarding my contract. Still have not received the email. I am extremely dissatisfied with Brighthouse.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

On December 8, 2020 my checking account was deducted for a loan payment. The same draft number was deducted again for the same amount on December 9, 2020. I contacted customer support four times and Research and Resolution three times in an effort to have this problem corrected. To date this problem has not been handled satisfactorily. With each call I am told that "they" are working on it. I have asked for a manager's name and an email address and was not obliged. I was given a manager to speak to this morning (my 7th call) and he gave me an email address to send a copy of the draft from the bank as evidence that the money had been deducted 2 times. I emailed the requested information. It has been 2 hours since I sent that email and no response yet. I am extremely frustrated and stressed by the lack of action to correct this error that was discovered and reported to Brighthouse Financial/MetLife a month ago.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

I purchased a 10 year term life insurance policy with MetLife. MetLife used to offer an affordable rollover to whole life insurance. Now that Brighthouse has taken over it seems this is no longer the case. After paying ten years of $63.81 per month for a $500k ten-year term policy, I expected to roll my insurance into a whole life policy for around $150 per month. That was the estimate when I bought the policy. With no explanation Brighthouse now wants $361 per month to continue the policy. I am 51 years old, fit and healthy. It seems we are simply numbers to Brighthouse. Don’t buy their insurance. I have another $50k policy that I purchased thirty years ago with MetLife, now Brighthouse. I will now be cancelling this policy too out of distrust and distain for this company. Don’t put up with corporate bad behaviour.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2020

After numerous calls, emails and even talking to a customer service representative I have still not been able to have two issues resolved. First, I haven't been able to log in and look at my account. Last month I was told there was an update and to try again in October. This is October 20 and there is still an 'error' while trying to log in. Secondly, I want to take advantage of the option in the CARES act this year an not take my RMD. No doubt it is as simple as completing a form but I haven't been able to speak to a live person who can help with this. I have been on hold today for 47 minutes so far this morning. As a customer I should not have to continue to reach out to get these issues resolved this many times!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

Have had an annuity with Met Life for years, never a problem. Changed to Brighthouse Financial and nothing but problems. For over a week trying to get information regarding my annuity, computers are down, call customer service and they can't give us any information. Problem transferring computer system. This is absurd.

Original review: July 31, 2020

Ever since Brighthouse Financial took over Life insurance from Met Life, their service, quality and caliber of people has decline. We are on our 4th call after several disconnects and wait times to do something as simple as getting the billing address on a policy changed. The people are all polite and patronizing but not very competent or their systems are inefficient. You should not need to go through 20 questions on identity just for them to confirm their own records that they are sending the bills to the wrong place - They admitted that - just can't seem to fix it. I shudder to think how these people would handle a legitimate Claim when someone really needed help.

Take a Life Insurance Quiz. Get matched with an Authorized Partner.

Brighthouse Financial Company Information