2. Finance
  3. Life Insurance

2.0/5 (15 ratings)

Find Life Insurance Companies partners near you

About Brighthouse Financial

Brighthouse Financial is one of the largest life insurance companies in the United States. The company states its mission is to help clients achieve financial security, and it offers two core products: annuities and life insurance. The company is listed on the Nasdaq stock index under the symbol BHF.

Find Life Insurance Companies partners near you

Pros

• Competitive rates
    • Minimal fees
    • Extensive coverage
    • Cash value buildup

Cons

• Requires extra steps
    • Limited offerings

Bottom Line

Overall, Brighthouse Financial is a good choice for annuities or life insurance coverage. Consider the Brighthouse SmartCare product if you’re planning your financial future.

Brighthouse life insurance

Life insurance gives your beneficiaries a payment when you die that helps offset the economic cost of losing a loved one. Brighthouse offers three life insurance products:

• Term life insurance: This product provides coverage for a set amount of years and pays a death benefit if you pass away during the covered term. Common terms for these plans include five, 10, 20 or 30 years. Term life insurance is ideal if you want to ensure you have coverage for a specific period of time or if you need a lower-cost financial protection solution.
    • Permanent life insurance: Unlike term life insurance, permanent life insurance provides coverage for your entire life. Many permanent life insurance products accrue cash value that can be used to supplement retirement income or fund your child’s education. Permanent life insurance products include whole life, variable universal life, universal life and indexed universal life.
    • SmartCare: Brighthouse Financial also offers a hybrid policy option called SmartCare, which combines a death benefit with long-term care funding. SmartCare features permanent life insurance (indexed universal care) that lets you choose between a fixed account or an equity index account to invest the cash value. This option gives you tax-deferred financial growth for retirement and provides a guaranteed death benefit as long as you maintain the premiums. You can choose to pay for a SmartCare policy in a lump sum or in installments across a determined payment schedule.

Brighthouse annuities

Brighthouse Financial annuities are designed to help you save for retirement and provide a steady stream of guaranteed income payments. Payments can be set up to start right away or at a future date, and they can last a specific number of years or for the rest of your life.

Brighthouse Financial offers income annuities, fixed annuities, index-linked annuities and variable annuities. You can only purchase Brighthouse Financial’s annuity products through a financial professional. Financial advisors can be found through your financial institution or through the FINRA BrokerCheck website.

Brighthouse prices

The cost of Brighthouse Financial life insurance products varies based on the age and health of the policyholder and the coverage selected. Policies with longer terms cost more than those with shorter terms.

Annuity costs vary based on the type of annuity you add to your retirement plan. There are several fees associated with buying an annuity, including administrative, add-ons/riders and mortality and expense risks. These fees vary by company.

Brighthouse Financial FAQ

Is Brighthouse part of MetLife?
    Brighthouse Financial is an independent company that is no longer part of MetLife. The two companies are not affiliated.
    When did Brighthouse Financial spin off from MetLife?
    Brighthouse Financial completed its separation from MetLife on August 4, 2017. A few days later, on August 7, 2017, Brighthouse Financial was listed on the Nasdaq stock index under the symbol BHF.
    Will Brighthouse Financial pay a dividend?
    Currently, the company does not pay dividends on its stock.

Is Brighthouse Financial a good company?

There are hundreds of life insurance and annuity offerings on the market, but Brighthouse Financial does a good job of combining both products. Though the company requires you to hire a financial advisor, its team is helpful and provides additional assistance. Because Brighthouse Financial has competitive rates, minimal surrender fees and strong financial ratings, we think its straightforward products could be a good fit for many people.

Brighthouse Financial Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Brighthouse Financial?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Brighthouse Financial?

Original review: Nov. 21, 2021

It's been a horrible experience trying to contact Brighthouse Financial, and when we do, we're shuffled around like cards. No answers and never received our annual annuity. Called their hub in Charlotte who told us to call MetLife in Troy, Michigan. Person said they'd investigate, and of course heard nothing back. What is going on?? Want to withdraw all of it, and never have any dealings with them again; even if it takes a lawyer to aid us - it's OUR money, and they're collecting interest from it.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2021

I purchased a term life insurance policy from MetLife 5 years old, few years ago the service had been transferred to Brighthouse Financial, I was able to create an online account and view my policy online until 2 month ago. Then suddenly I was not able see my policy on my account. I called website support. They told me my policy was "restricted." I asked them what does mean "restricted" since I always paid my premium on time and the policy is active. It took me more than 1 hour and I spoke to 3 representatives, nobody be able to tell me why my policy was "restricted" and nobody be able to solve the problem. I requested to talk to a supervisor, they said no! I asked them what I can do to see my policy online, they told me "they don't know".

Life insurance company should be reliable and trustworthy, but Brighthouse Financial even cannot tell his customer the status of a policy. I cannot imagine if there is something happening to me, when my family file a claim, they could tell them that they cannot locate the policy. Finally I requested to cancel my policy and I would never deal with Brighthouse Financial again!

Get buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

You know how smoothly you can access and perform the various inquiries and transactions with Amazon? Or see all of your transactions with Starbucks on their website? Yeah, well that's not what I experience with trying to access my Brighthouse annuity accounts. Another infuriating financial organization is Synchrony. Don't waste your precious time and patience doing business with the slow-witted, flat-footed companies.

Original review: July 29, 2021

I have a 15-year term policy that was previously underwritten by Met Life. The cost is very high and term expires in 6 years. Very little interaction with the company since initiating the policy 9 years ago.

Original review: July 22, 2021

I had a term policy from Brighthouse for about a decade. All of a sudden they asked for a large amount of money to “maintain my Death Benefit Guarantee Rider”. I sent the $3000+ money in. Two months later they asked for another $3000. They increased my premium significantly without warning me. The customer treatment is beyond terrible. The premium went from 324/mo. to 980/mo. Some surprise.

Original review: July 14, 2021

Agent was professional and found a time to meet with me that was convenient for me. The product is affordable. She found a plan that works for my budget. It was very easy to get things set up and my agent has followed thru with me on other products also.

Original review: June 22, 2021

Do not get a life insurance policy with Brighthouse Life Insurance Company. After taking my money for 10 straight years that mailed me a letter increasing the monthly amount by 1000% percent. No one will answer my questions, I was placed on hold for 45 minutes when I asked for the Legal department. The Customer Service here is awful! No one should have to FAX a complaint to them! There are better Life Insurance companies out there - don't buy from them. You are rewarding bad behavior.

Original review: April 25, 2021

Brighthouse is a great company. My family and I have had only positive experiences dealing with the representatives from Brighthouse. They have highly competitive rates and an easy purchase experience!

Original review: April 23, 2021

Brighthouse is a fantastic company! I own a Brighthouse Financial life insurance policy and am very happy with it. Very easy purchase experience and always easy to make routine updates like address changes!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2021

Purchased an annuity thru Metlife in 2015, Metlife sold to Brighthouse. Payments always on time however for past 2 months payments have been late. Today is 1/22/2021 and still waiting for payment that was supposedly sent out on 1/5/2021. Spoke with representative who was no help but did say she was emailing me information regarding my contract. Still have not received the email. I am extremely dissatisfied with Brighthouse.

Take a Life Insurance Quiz. Get matched with an Authorized Partner.

Brighthouse Financial Company Information