Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans
1.11/5

Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

Blue Cross of New York Reviews

Original review: May 21, 2019

Totally useless information and customer service. Listen. If I've submitted the same claim four times, denying for four different reasons (and I had to call and email multiple times EVERY TIME just to get a little information about what I was doing wrong, and there are no instructions anywhere), but it's only on the last claim that you tell me I won't be reimbursed because the provider is NOW out of network (although when originally choosing the provider I was told he WAS in network, but, "Oh, sorry, that must have been a mistake")... Your company is unethical. Your customer service is inconsistent and unreliable. And you don't provide the necessary accurate information in order for the insured to make informed decisions. Worst of all, you are costing yourselves MORE money by only paying for expensive things instead of making it easier to get less expensive care and prevention. This is a great example of what's wrong with the system.

Original review: April 28, 2019

LOOK, My humble opinion and I believe the following thoughts: I WILL NEVERRRRRRR**** GET EMPIRE AGAIN. January 16, 2018 MRI and left Empire January 18, 2018. They refuse to pay. After dealing with from October 2018 to now. Now I will file complaints with NYS and US Attorney General's office, NYS Governor's office, Health Bureau, FTC, many government entities and websites. They also violated HIPPA regulations I believe. 518-367-4737 Bridget ** management and supervisor Ayanna ** at extension ** reference number ** – ** . It's disgusting they kept jerking me around for months saying it was in appeals and then appeals didn't review all doctor's documents for some reason. I think I was denied because my insurance ended couple days later like it feels to me malicious. I also filed reviews on Twitter and Facebook. Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance. I wish there was a way to give zero stars.

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 17, 2019

We were covered by this company for a little more than 20 years. They handled every claim promptly and fully. In all, our family had 14 surgeries during this time. Our out of pocket expenses were minimal and there were never any "hassles."

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

If I could give this company 0 stars, I would. They denied my ER claim because they deemed my massive internal infection in which I was hooked up to IVs for 7 days not a “medical necessity.” Finally, the ER doctor called them and said I would’ve died without treatment. I got a letter afterward from them afterward saying, although they don’t agree with the doctor, they will pay my claim, but it’s a one time thing. What???

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I am a Medicaid patient and I always have hypercalcemia while the doctor ask me to hospitalize and have IV. I have CKD and my old primary doctor prescribed me vitamin D and ** while not realizing my high calcium level. I went to my kidney doctor and asked me to hospitalized urgently to lower my calcium level. On the next day, I received a letter from them that my hospitalization was not approved and have to file an appeal. My kidney doctor is helping me filing it. I would say good luck for those who have this insurances. They don’t work based on fact and evidence at all.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Cross of New York?

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Called up to ask about why I was unable to update something on their system for my account. Was told that "Jews like me needed to be more patient and stop pushing". Complained and never heard back from company.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Always something they not cover. Customer service helpless and I wish company will change it. It was Aetna before Obamacare started and company must gave up Cadillac plan. Switched to BCBS which is real BS.

Original review: July 11, 2018

My hip replacement surgery was denied as not medically necessary, and my surgery was cancelled, last minute. I have severe arthritis. My doctor was baffled and appealed, and the appeal was denied. I also sent an expedited appeal, and did not receive a response. My family has had the same Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield policy since 1992 through my husband’s union, Metal Trades Local 638. I believe BCBS has not followed their contract.

Original review: April 11, 2018

My mother, who is a cancer patient, has this horrible insurance. She pays sky high premiums every month, while they approve the services the doctor bills to them and then don't pay, pay different amounts of money for the same approved service (ex.: $400 one month, $1000 another month, $0 another month). They have no explanation for doing this. They also sent a letter that states all these services have been approved. It has now been over a year of phone calls and emails back and forth. They have pre-approved multiple services, just to claim later that the approval was never given. Now they are telling me the approval numbers they have sent to me are not in their records. This company is basically extorting money from clients with their premiums, and then refusing to pay for services they are supposed to cover.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

Blue Cross of New York is not a good health insurance. It do not cover much and the cost to families and when you call to get help with anything not very helpful. I wish my company would find another Health Insurance because this keeps going up and less services and poor customer service.

Blue Cross of New York Company Information