3.7/5 (49 ratings)
Find a Health Insurance partner

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

About Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield of New York

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield of New York Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield of New York?

Original review: April 25, 2022

This company *knows* the Biden administration mandated the full reimbursement of expenses regarding Covid testing, including RT-PCR tests. Yet, they keep pulling old tactics to get away with their shameless scam: pay in only in part, and ignore the customer in hopes that we will eventually give up and stop complaining. I am insured with Empire BlueCross BlueShield through my employer, not directly. However, I just contacted HR and let them know of this irregular activity. I will also seek alternatives in the near future, as I expect my insurance company to be minimally honest, among other things. Stay away from this company.

Original review: March 10, 2022

They keep processing claim from an in network doctor as out of network. They did it in 2021 first time. They are still trying to fix it and reprocessed the claim 5 times. No one has got any money yet. For the same doctor they made the same mistake in 2022. Processed his claim as out of network again. There is a huge disconnect between departments and BCBC in different states. Every time I call I get conflicting information. Same is true for emails. I think they do it deliberately to rip innocent subscribers off their hard earned money. Pathetic company. Wonder how they became so big. Bribed their way up.

Get buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2021

Don't use Empire Blue Cross...They didn't come to my aid at a time when I desperately needed it. After corrective jaw (orthognathic) surgery to address facial deformity, I was left with some severe sequelae: difficulty eating/chewing, swallowing, breathing, sleeping, and severe asymmetry of the back of the jaw (on one side, the ramus of the jaw was terribly flared out). My occlusal plane angle was severely out of the range of normal, causing my biting difficulty. My airway was still severely narrow and obstructed, leading to sleep apnea and breathing problems. Both of my jaws were still retruded (too far back) and vertically underdeveloped. I also had a prognathic chin.

I chose a world-renowned surgeon for revisionary corrective jaw surgery, and he wrote a clear letter to Empire Blue Cross explaining why this procedure was medically necessary. However, Empire Blue Cross refused to cover the hospital fees, and I had to pay Baylor Medical Center $30,000. After having had this surgery, my condition is now significantly improved. Not to mention...after appealing the initial denial, the subsequent denial letter left blank the entire area where the explanation for the denial was supposed to be shown. After I contacted Empire Blue Cross (over several attempts) to try to get this resolved so I could access the explanation for the denial, it took an unreasonably long time for a revised letter to be sent to me. I was in bad shape and needed the surgery. My family had to assist me and I took out loans.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

Accepted in most places, and coverage is very good, also their customer service is very friendly, I have them for a while now and have absolutely nothing to complain about it and other people I know are very satisfied as well.

Original review: March 29, 2021

My partner signed up for this insurance during open enrollment last year because it looked like it had sufficient scope in terms of coverage and doctors. Unfortunately he was then diagnosed with cancer. Then, thankfully we thought, the insurance had an oncologist nearby. After a few sessions, we started to get large bills and the doctor's office stated that the insurance was claiming they were out of network. As it turns out, many of the listed doctors on their site, and the ones their agents tell you are in network, are actually out of network. Now we are without an oncologist. With a deadly disease. They cannot seem to be able to join a call to resolve the issue, and now after reading the other comments here, it appears that this is some sort of very large and deadly scam. We pay over $1,300 a month for this. And there is no doctor that he can use that is in network.

How do we create a claim to have this insurance reviewed and either cleaned up or shut down? Who should we contact? At this point we are going to have to figure out how to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars out of pocket, just to stay alive. What other insurance will take us now? With a preexisting condition? No one please ever use this insurance. Save your money, your time and your life. Because they will take it all otherwise.

Original review: March 23, 2021

This place is a giant SCAM. Do not do business with these people. I've been getting my medicine which is 4 pills for 10 years now and they reduce it to 3. They offered to me to pay out of pocket. I tried and the pharmacy said I can't. Expensive insurance that I pay every week and now when it's their turn to pay they want to deny me my medicine which I need to survive. Agents don't do anything to help the cause, they put you on hold and tell you the same runaround which never leads to solving the problem at hand. I have had it with the little man always getting screwed by these insurance companies. I wish I could give it a 0 rating cause 1 is way too good.

Original review: May 21, 2019

Totally useless information and customer service. Listen. If I've submitted the same claim four times, denying for four different reasons (and I had to call and email multiple times EVERY TIME just to get a little information about what I was doing wrong, and there are no instructions anywhere), but it's only on the last claim that you tell me I won't be reimbursed because the provider is NOW out of network (although when originally choosing the provider I was told he WAS in network, but, "Oh, sorry, that must have been a mistake")... Your company is unethical. Your customer service is inconsistent and unreliable. And you don't provide the necessary accurate information in order for the insured to make informed decisions. Worst of all, you are costing yourselves MORE money by only paying for expensive things instead of making it easier to get less expensive care and prevention. This is a great example of what's wrong with the system.

Original review: April 28, 2019

LOOK, My humble opinion and I believe the following thoughts: I WILL NEVERRRRRRR**** GET EMPIRE AGAIN. January 16, 2018 MRI and left Empire January 18, 2018. They refuse to pay. After dealing with from October 2018 to now. Now I will file complaints with NYS and US Attorney General's office, NYS Governor's office, Health Bureau, FTC, many government entities and websites. They also violated HIPPA regulations I believe. 518-367-4737 Bridget ** management and supervisor Ayanna ** at extension ** reference number ** – ** . It's disgusting they kept jerking me around for months saying it was in appeals and then appeals didn't review all doctor's documents for some reason. I think I was denied because my insurance ended couple days later like it feels to me malicious. I also filed reviews on Twitter and Facebook. Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance. I wish there was a way to give zero stars.

Original review: April 17, 2019

We were covered by this company for a little more than 20 years. They handled every claim promptly and fully. In all, our family had 14 surgeries during this time. Our out of pocket expenses were minimal and there were never any "hassles."

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

If I could give this company 0 stars, I would. They denied my ER claim because they deemed my massive internal infection in which I was hooked up to IVs for 7 days not a “medical necessity.” Finally, the ER doctor called them and said I would’ve died without treatment. I got a letter afterward from them afterward saying, although they don’t agree with the doctor, they will pay my claim, but it’s a one time thing. What???

Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield of New York Company Information