1.05/5
Based on 93 reviews that contain star ratings

105 Blue Cross of Illinois Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I am in disbelief at the length I have had to go to (unsuccessfully) receive the coverage I was under the impression I had (dearly) paid for. After talking with six different representatives (just today) I still do not have a filled prescription after one week of effort. I understand from my doctor's office that this is not unusual. Is all this effort to not fill a prescription without Herculean ‘compendiums’ and ‘proof of manufacturer recommendations’ for my benefit, or for the intention of eluding responsibility for coverage?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

First of all, I can't even select 1 star above. If there was a "0" star, I would select it. Left corporate world to start my own business. In Februray 2010, we got a high deductible HSA 5000 plan to protect my family from catastrophe. Our original premium was $640.00 with a $5000/10,000 deductible. Expensive, I get it (but just wait!), but protection of the family from financial ruin was accepted. Today I received another premium increase. In the past 8.5 years we have now had 15 different premium increases with very few claims (only met deductible 1 time when daughter had ACL surgery). My premium is now $2,010.10, An incredible 214% (over 25%/YEAR ave inc). How can this not be price gouging. I have written 2 letters to BCBS of Illinois and had 2 conversations with a so called executive (have name but will only use with official complaint) with regards to the increases over the past several years.

I get the same canned response "with advances in technology, RX drugs and ways to treat injuries and illnesses, we must adjust your premium to stay in line with increased costs..." Again, how can this not be price gouging. I have nowhere to go to get another plan in this state and the best they can say is to join ACA, which isn't much different, and you can never leave once you are in and during my research I would be unable to keep my own doctor or our pediatrician. 15 premium increases shows an average of nearly 2 increases a year. In fact, the year I took one of my children off the plan as she got her own job and insurance, my premium went down...for one month...then the next increase came which was 27% increase. Tell me this was legitimate?

Comments above are just about premiums. Customer Service is the worst I've ever seen. Been put on hold for hours, been hung up on several times (wonder why they ask for your phone number in case we get disconnected) and never called back, most the reps are extremely incompetent and rude as was their executive that called me back after several messages. Continue to get riders that take away benefits...most recent was that they no longer pay for screening colonoscopies. Wife and I both had our over 50 yo colonoscopies within a week of each other only to learn they no longer pay for these...cost me nearly $5000 out of pocket. We appealed them both only to be denied...twice. And, we received the letter acknowledging our appeal AND the letter denying our appeal.

Get this...on the same day and both the letters (one happily announcing "we received your appeal" and the other "denying the appeal") were dated the same day. Wonder if they really did the appeal? I called and got escalated during the second appeal and once we were denied I attempted to call back the escalation agent numerous times with no return call whatsoever...despicable! Something has to be done. Insurance no longer fits into a capitalistic society. If so, I could go somewhere else to protect my family. I truly don't know how these people and this company can look at themselves in the mirror. Cannot think of one area of living expense that has increased this much in such a short time.

This complaint is the cliff note version of our issues. I have dates, details, names, etc. and its time to blow the whistle. Will be contacting Illinois Dept of Insurance. I know BCBS could care less, but something has to be done. A very sad time for a very rich company who takes advantage of those of us trying to make ends meet. They have ultimate control over us as a consumer. This should NOT occur in this country.

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

If I could give this zero stars I would. I recently signed up with BCBS the Blue Choice Preferred PPO... I am currently 20 weeks pregnant and just dropped from my current doctor. I have been on hold for hours with BCBS Illinois! I asked for a doctor that works with my insurance and they literally gave me a list of about 50 doctors. I spent hours calling about 17 doctors on the list and guess what? Half of those numbers that were given were either disconnected, wrong number or the office let me know that they do not take the Blue Choice Preferred plan! So I called BCBS back and the customer service rep gave me another list with the same disconnected numbers. This is unbelievable!

I ask to speak with a manager and they will not let me speak to one. I asked them to actually update their list and they say “it is updated”. Well how if the numbers are disconnected? I was then told to keep calling and that they cannot call to confirm a participating doctor and hospital for me. One of the reps simply said, “Well I can give you another list” and guess what I called the 5 doctors she gave me and the doctors are no longer there and another number was to a Rec Center, not a doctor’s office! They have terrible service and not in the business of helping customers. They just try to quickly get you off the phone and could care less if you are been taken care of.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

This is the worst health insurance I have ever had. Very few doctors will take this insurance. So few, that the list also contains doctors in suburbs and Indiana because there's about 8 cardiologist in the city I can see and they all except for one, have horrible ratings on the internet. The one that has a good rating didn't want to take me as a new patient because he no longer wants to deal with Unified. Do yourself a favor and steer clear of this insurance. I have BCBSIL, Blue Focus Care, Unified Physicians Network. The worst.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Extremely expensive dental plan. Only covers 50% of all dental services. Only covers 2 cleanings/year, 100%, IF you go to an in network dentist. If not, they cover less than 40%. Blue Cross of Illinois also has a limit of $1,000.00 benefits per year. Just think that a simple crown nowadays is about $940.00 per occurrence, if you need two done you are fried. Then you have to pay one full year or premiums before you can qualify for any major service. This insurance is worthless. Do not fall for it. I had to switch to Physicians Mutual Insurance dental plan.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Cross of Illinois?

Original review: May 29, 2018

A company so bad it received an "F" rating from the Better Business Bureau. If your company contracts with them for your health care, you might want to switch companies. But then, all American health care is rotten due to the cozy relationship our government maintains with insurance companies. So, if you're young, you might want to immigrate to a country with better healthcare (which is pretty much all other western countries). Good luck.

Original review: April 18, 2018

If I could give a negative 10 I would. Wife has severe injuries to both feet that required an MRI as ordered by her specialist. BCBS denied the test 3 times and it took 4+ months to get the approval. They have unqualified morons that pretend to be doctors and put the patient's health in jeopardy. Finally had the MRI done after repeated arguments by her doctor with BCBS. The MRI shows that she has tears in tissue of the main tendon. She now has a cast on one foot for 4-6 weeks and if not healed, then removal of tissue of another tendon from somewhere else in her body. Then repeat the same on the other foot!!!

If the morons at BCBS had allowed the MRI at the time of the injury as noted by the doctor, this could have been a simple treatment procedure of just wearing a brace at night on each foot for a couple weeks. Real idiots at this insurance company. Now not only may it potentially be a major life altering event and multiple surgeries, but a very costly event going forward with no promises of her ever having both feet work properly once again. There should be open avenues for a patient or family to sue insurance companies for incompetence and also demand that future requests for specific tests, etc. From specialists, be reviewed by real and actual specialist doctors instead of some hourly paid customer service rep. Awful - just awful.

Original review: April 3, 2018

Total Nightmare trying to get anyone to help me at BCBSIL over the phone. I talked to one agent with heavy foreign accent and asked him about HSA's. He didn't even know what an HSA was and was googling it while on the phone with me! Seriously! He told me he was googling it. Days later, and 2 hours on a phone with a "customer advocate" to find out why my wife's PET scan isn't medically covered, when the policy book they sent me says it is. Forget it. The phone operators reach intellectual dead ends, don't know what I am asking, do not understand anything related to health insurance in the USA, won't talk anymore if you keep asking them questions, and then hours later, with my BP through the roof, I was dumped into a disconnect dial tone.

It's going to be a very, very long year with this health insurance organization which takes great pride in taking premiums, while not being willing to help us over the phone, yet claiming to be a "health" insurance company. I wonder if cardiac arresting while talking on the phone with one of their "Consumer advocates" is covered under my policy?

Original review: March 27, 2018

Their online system doesn't retain information. Log into your account and check your "My Documents" and nothing is there... Imagine that! Looking at previous billing history is non-existent and I only canceled my account 2 months ago. Then, when you talk to someone, they refer you to the Health Insurance Marketplace because they're lazy... Then they gouge you on the fees. Navigating through their pamphlets and brochures, coverage plans and plan brochures is like reading an alien language. Their billing system is completely backwards and generally not up to date.

Original review: March 26, 2018

I am on IL Medicaid; & also am required to choose a community healthcare plan. I was on Meridian Healthcare Plan; & using the local Comm. Health Clinic as my primary care provider. This was fine; but was hoping to get a 'real' private Dr. as my care provider. So when open enrollment came around this 2018; I got a letter in the mail from IL State saying they have more options to choose from for required insurance. So; I chose Blue Cross/Blue Shield, & it stated that a well-known local Dr. does take the plan.

So I went into the IL Healthcare online portal, & switched from Meridian to BC/BS. Well - what a mistake! Not only does that Dr. not accept it; neither does any other Dr., hospital, or Clinic in my County take this plan! I am screwed till next year's open enrollment; even though we ARE allowed to switch back one-time during the year. After many hours on the phone with BC/BS, IL Human Services, & emails to our local State Representative - I still was unable to switch back to my old plan.

Original review: March 3, 2018

I have not been on my medication for 6 days while Blue Cross of Illinois denies my prescription. When I was online at healthcare.gov picking a plan for 2018 the healthcare said the medicine is part of my plan. Yesterday I was told that Prime Therapeutics has me trying medicine that did not work before. I wish Blue Cross has more PPO competition in Illinois. Blue Cross is not honest!!!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

I called BCBS IL this morning and was on hold for a very unreasonable amount of time. When I finally spoke with customer service, I could not understand her and asked if I could speak to a supervisor. She could not understand me and I could not understand her. We finally got disconnected and I thought surely she will call me back and she never did. So I called back again and the same thing happened. I called back a third time and asked to speak to someone in customer service and they wound up connecting me with somebody in the marketplace that wasn't even affiliated with Blue Cross Blue Shield. I was dumbfounded. The guy I spoke with said this has happened many times. He was from the United States and he worked for the marketplace for Obamacare.

I called back a fourth time later in the afternoon and was persistent about speaking to a supervisor. I was on hold for 25 minutes and finally spoke to a nice person named Stephanie and I got my question answered. They did not cover the procedure I needed them to cover. Go figure. For $1,000 a month nobody should have to go through this. They are a horrible insurance company and they do not care about their customers at all. All they care about is the money. There are no other choices and they know it. I never had these unreasonable prices or horrible service before the (un)affordable care act.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

The absolute worst. Foreign cust service. Can't understand the long wait times and frequent premium increases. Obama you really screwed up health care in this country and BCBS of Illinois is taking full advantage.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

VERY POOR customer service. I have not been able to get my explanation of benefits for this whole year. BC/BS tells me that I have to get them from the doctor but the doctor's office says, no BC/BS should be providing me with them. I have repeatedly called, been transferred all over, disconnected (even though they ask for a call back number, which they never call you back on). The doctor's office suggested I call and ask to speak to a supervisor. I did that but they won't let you speak to a supervisor until you explain what the problem is. Even after you explain they would not connect you to a supervisor. I was kept on hold twice for over 45 minutes and then without coming back on the line to explain anything they transferred me to my doctor's office. They are rude, and terrible. Maybe if we had more choices for health insurance they would be a little nicer. They only care about getting your outrageously expensive premium. They don't care about people at all!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I had private BCBS of IL. I was livid because I had a test done for asthma and it sent them a trigger that pulled my old medical charts. There were things that were wrong in my chart. I fought the appeal and won. So I thought it would go back and pay the bills that they stopped payment on till I won. Which by the way was over $15,000. They said they would only pay them if I reinstated my insurance since they had already cancelled my policy... Ready for this I had three days to come up with $1200. There was no way. So it stayed cancelled and now I have huge medical debt. I feel ripped off that I paid these people money for months and for what? They didn't pay for anything. My friend who worked there told me they are told to deny then process. BCBS of Illinois is a joke and rob from people.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

As I write this, I am on hold with BCBSI. Information about our plan was supposedly mailed to us on Oct. 17. It still hasn't arrived. This is my fourth call to try and get a duplicate. The advocate on the phone just now told me to wait for it to arrive in the mail. Meanwhile, the enrollment clock is ticking. We were told last Wednesday someone would email the information we needed. That has also not arrived.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

I had a really bad experience. This is the second time having similar issue. No coordination between Sales department and Customer services. I had a similar issue last year started in Nov 2016 and resolved in April 2017 making 100 of calls. Every time a new story. Same thing happened to me again. My wife and I had a different policies. There was a addition for newborn in family on July. As per them there is a sixty days period to add a newborn in the plan and for the first 30 days baby should be covered by Mother's insurance.

I made call within 60 days in September to add my newborn and also requested to add my wife as well terminating her current plan. The sales person told me that, "From first of October you all are in same plan," and took the money. She said for time in between 30 days and start of new policy in October you will get a prorated bill for newborn. I started getting call from doctor's office that, "your insurance is inactive" even though I paid in full for all previous months and advance for month of October.

I called to check what's going on and they told me that I have to pay 1600$ for policy starting from the birth of child. I told them, "Why I would be paying for 2 insurance policies. I already have the policy for that period and you guys are charging me for second policy for the same time period." The customer service is horrible. Made multiple calls. The system is so inefficient that the automated system ask for the member's details and when you connect to Customer service they again ask you the same stupid information. Just to get there it takes 10-15 min.

I been calling for 2 weeks now. Every time they have a new story, put you on hold for hrs and then automatically call goes to customer survey. Ask for details and callback number and they don't have the courtesy to call you back if call you drops or terminated by their system. With no patience left I specifically asked for the supervisor and told the issue. They messed up at their end the policy. What's I asked and told at time of purchasing the policy was totally different what was done. It's a mistake at their end and now they can't fix it asking me to pay 1600$ to activate the policy until they fix their mess. No timeline to fix the issue and they cannot completely fix the mess what they made. One of the worst in their business.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I pay $1,000/month for this garbage 'insurance'. They'll allow you to see a primary care doc, ok, but if, God forbid, you have to see a specialist? Forget it. You're screwed. That means no oncologist if you have cancer, no physical therapist if you have an injury, no dermatologist if you have so much as a wart. It's the most God awful system ever devised. Literally, I pray for you if you have this insurance, because God knows, you won't be getting the help that you need. Oh, and when you ask why the hell this is happening? They'll say, well, it's cause you're poor and have state insurance (even though you're fully aware the 'state' has NOTHING to do with it). WTF?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I am the office manager for a chiropractic office and find it very frustrating I can never get through to talk to anybody. I have claim questions for multiple patients and I sit on hold over 45 minutes. Actually probably longer because I always have to hang up. I've spent countless hours on hold. You would think someone would pick up within 5 minutes considering you have to jump through hoops to even get patched through to someone. There are always "high call volumes" no matter what time of day you call. Someone actually answered last week just to tell me to call back later... super frustrating. There are patients who put off care until their questions are answered and your company makes that very very hard.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

I had an appointment with a eye specialist in December 2016. He had to refer me to an eye retina specialist, but he warned me that Blue Cross Blue Precision Silver was dropping out of the Market Place and they were not informing any of their customers. He advised me to wait until after the first of the year and when I'm on a new carrier then follow-up with my retina appointment otherwise I might get stuck with an unpaid bill. Well he was right about the unpaid bill. Blue Cross kept playing around with my bill from the eye specialist and after six months it is still unpaid and now they are nowhere to be found. I've spent hours calling one number only to be told to call a different one. I'd forward the bill to them and it would come back saying wrong office. I hate to think how many other people got stuck with bills. I paid all my monthly premiums and what good did it do me. Will never purchase any Blue Cross insurance again.

Original review: July 10, 2017

I am a member with this horrible company customer service... what can I do.? Nothing. Every time I call for a question I have to wait several minutes before any rep. answers, when they answer they put you on hold more than 25 minutes only to answer my question. On 7-10-17 I called around 1:25 p.m. and Shaney answered, after 10 minutes, I asked her to check for me something on a claim, asked me if I am on the policy, she repeated my phone number she had on file twice and she said AFTER 25 minutes that she can't find my name still. 25 MINUTES a BCBS cannot find my name on the policy? Come on. I called before hundred time and they always have my name. I decide to complain about their horrible service. You may deal with them, they take your money but they will give you a ** service.

Original review: June 13, 2017

False Statements and bad customer service - When you get your insurance statement of services, be aware that the insurance portion of the billing - The so-called reimbursement to the provider is 100% false. In most cases, for smaller services like chiropractic care, there is no reimbursement at all! It's just price fixing and way for you to think you received a benefit. Or, in a best case, a small portion of the number posted was sent to the provider. There is no such thing as insurance anymore - Only managed service contracts that are essentially marketing tools to push patients to providers accepting the bad terms of the insurance company to bring in patients that believe it will be financially good for them. You are much better off paying cash prices which will be less than your out of pocket with insurance! Most providers take cash, especially those trying to build a practice.

Original review: May 18, 2017

I've had BCBSIL PPO for at least two years. I took a buyout in 2012 from a multinational telecom company, who sold off our division. Shortly after retiring from that company, I had an injury, which led to a disability, which was finally approved in 2016 and retroactive to 2012. Due to the retroactive approval, I was being forced to take Medicare, as the SSDI was covered for more than two years. Shortly after the SSDI was approved, I received a letter from the benefits dept. of my previous employer stating that all retirees who had become disabled, regardless of age, would no longer be covered under the existing plan and then be forced to use their broker, AON Exchange.

But, when I called AON, I was told I had not been on the transfer list and could renege my existing BCBSIL plan for 2017, which I did. My SSDI approval was made after the transfer list had been sent to AON. So I renewed my plan and waived Medicare and BCBSIL told me I would have coverage as usual. Now, it's May 2017 and BCBSIL is not paying my medical providers the contracted 90 percent IN and nothing or very little on OON. They are telling me I should not have waived MC and it's my fault! THE ONLY REASON I waived MC was because I couldn't buy supplemental insurance and was told I could keep my current coverage, for one more year.

After being patronized on the phone by BCBSIL customer service rep., I asked for the resolution dept. who said they would listen to the recorded conversation I had with their rep in Dec. 2016 and call me back the next morning. That was on Monday, today is Thursday and still no callback! Be very cautious when speaking to BCBSIL and take notes of who you spoke to and when. IF YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND A TERM OR ARE NOT FULLY CLEAR OF WHAT THEY ARE TELLING YOU, HAVE THEM EXPLAIN IT, UNTIL YOU DO! I never had such issues with UHC!

Original review: May 12, 2017

In need of cancer treatment side effect surgery. Pain from side effects could be relieved but the Director of medicine at BCBS of Illinois Exelon said it is not medically necessary and for cosmetic only. Are you kidding me? Two University of Wisconsin doctors and a top Surgeon get a peer to peer and what does BCBS say in the peer to peer, "Sorry this is out of my realm." What a joke, how are they allowed to make decisions? All about the money and numbers, who cares about the people. Director of medicine go back to your cozy office and charity dinners and never put a name to a face, and do us all a favor and don't call yourself a doctor.

Original review: April 11, 2017

I have been paying for their mediocre coverage for years, well over what my surgery would cost, never bringing in my kids for things unless absolutely necessary and now that I am disabled from my job due to a low back problem they deny my surgery 1 week before due to their MD who probably sits in a cozy office all day says it is not necessary due to the MRI not showing enough narrowing to pinch the nerves. Not taking into account the painful discogram I went through that showed two large tears in the discs. Able to get my MD to go peer to peer and still lost. Now I am out of a job, paid a HUGE COBRA payment so there would be no lapse in coverage for this and they deny me at the last minute. I am now on long term disability, which will only last me 24 months, then what. The narcotics dull the pain but I still can't move the way I should. I could easily live another 60 years but this is not living.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2017

I have canceled my health plan on December 16th, 2016 and is February 2nd, 2017 and every time I called customer service they tell me my refund is denied. I need help getting my money back. I got health insurance thru my job starting January 1st that's why I canceled but I was paid. I even got the letter stating it was canceled. BCBSIL got me very upset. I can't believe it. All I want is my $414.32 back!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2017

Back in mid-December of 2016 I canceled my individual PPO plan through Blue Cross to keep it from renewing in 2017. I honestly didn't have a problem with Blue Cross last year, I was just offered insurance through my job and had to choose that because it was significantly cheaper, what with insurance premiums in Illinois skyrocketing this year. During this phone call, the representative assured me that my plan and auto-pay had been canceled. Maybe a week later a $368 premium had been taken out of my account for the plan I had canceled.

Long story short, I have since spoken to about 4 different representatives to get this money back. After being on hold for nearly two hours the first time trying to sort this out, the woman I spoke with said I needed to allow 10 business days to receive my refund. After significant time had passed and still no refund, I called and it turns out she had made a mistake which caused the refund to be denied.

January 18th was the last time I called to set up the refund process once more, and now 11 business days later, still no money. I'm infuriated because it's not easy to go without that kind of money for me and I feel there should be more urgency to correct their mistake, rather than taking over a month now to refund me. I've also had problems with a claim from October that has yet to go through their system, but I'm still unsure why. I do have to say all representatives I've spoken to have been kind. It's their system and flaws that's creating this mess.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2017

This insurance company has the most horrible customer service as far as I know. I spent more than five hours on the phone waiting for them to answer. There is no answer at all. The reason of my phone call was to have an answer why they charge me $289.94 on January 3 and $212.88 then they charge me again $154.95 on January 9. The agent appointed is neglecting me because he does not remember conversations involved during the process. As far as I know BBS is neglecting customers because of the horrible customer service they have. Besides that it is impossible to register online if you do not have an ID#. I do not like this health insurance at all. I hope the Obama Care will take care of this right away.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2017

Right now... I've been on hold for 51 minutes and counting. This is after I waited 25 minutes for rep to call me back. It's 1/26th... and BCBS can't find my plan that I signed up for and Paid for to be active 1/01/2017. My son has severe flu and we just paid $137 for Tamiflu because BCBS hasn't confirmed our policy or sent out cards w/ a member I.d. #. Our premiums are just under $900/month. We've been w/ BCBS for years... It's always the same story when you call in for customer support. You're either on hold Forever, you can't understand the person/or they can't understand you, rep is inexperienced and gives you misinformation... or they disconnect you when they don't have an answer for you. They refuse to let anyone speak to a supervisor.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2017

I having been trying to get pre-authorization for surgery but BCBS of Illinois is very slow in replying. My surgery has been delayed by one week and still no response. I have been messaging them since last week, my messages get a reference number but still no call. What happened to this insurance company; it used to be a good company. Premiums are outrageous and customer services sucks.

Blue Cross of Illinois Company Information