Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans
1.18/5

Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

Blue Cross of Illinois Reviews

Original review: Oct. 27, 2019

I have been very satisfied with the Blue Cross FOR years until 2019 when I started to get premium bill showing nonpayments and threatening me with cancellation of my health insurance. After calling and writing to Blue Cross showing them that my payments were made on time and sending proof that I have been paying on time, this month, October 2019, the same threats continues. Not only is the bill wrong (with threats !), it was received by me on 10/26/19! My payment is due by 11/05/19.

I am a very healthy 87 year woman, seeing my doc only once a year for annual checkups. I am not complaining about the very high monthly bill, although it should be lower based on my health record. I know that, we old but healthy are not afforded Blue Cross's "health records review" to determine premium amount. Yes, I am old so anything can happen even if I am very well today. Sabina **

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

My Doctor ordered an MRI for a painful back condition. The test was denied. Last year I switched from United Healthcare to Blue Cross Blue Shield because it was a little cheaper. In retrospect that was a BIG mistake. It is benefits election time at AT&T and I will be sure to tell as many of my 300,000 coworkers to avoid BCBS and stay with ANY other medical insurance provider.

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

In 2019, dental claims processing can and often has taken months. The claims handling people don't seem to pay attention to anything your provider sends and things that used to be handled and paid easily are now routinely denied or multiple requests for more information are sent to your provider and then seem to not be looked at or considered at all. In fact, we even had a denial on a procedure for a tooth that BCBS claimed was missing (it is absolutely still in my mouth lol). We're waiting to see if calls to correct the mistake result in a correctly processed claim or another denial in the near future... So underwhelming experience to say the least. I wish we could switch to a different company because BCBS dental claims handling is so incredibly frustrating and poorly run.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

A bit pricey, but top notch service and coverage. Am looking into mutual of omaha as their rates are significantly lower. Service and coverage are purported to be the same, so why pay more if you don’t have to?

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

I had Blue Cross Blue Shield for well over the past thirty plus years. The coverage is really the best. Especially, for a skin cancer removal for coverage with a specialist Dr. ** and staff at park ridge illinois, and Presence team for the day too, the care, the overall cost was 13,000 i was responsible for 1800. A Blue Cross Blue Shield Medicare Advantage representative contacted myself and my sister Lena, for a preview of the plans and questions of our senior living. That really was heart-warming.... Thanks.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Cross of Illinois?

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

Waste hours on the phone. Unable to accurately tell me if I am covered. Quick to pass the buck. ** and in the end run me around without any help. Bleeding out the bowels but I know you do not give a rat's **. Say 'go to the ER', but the ER has also been very indifferent, more concerned about their liberal social agenda than medicine. I am dying, but not at the hands of you scum.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2019

Another insurance company driven by $$$ with no regard for its members health and well being. I recently started a new job, I had to switch from BCBS of Minnesota to BCBS of Illinois. Several important prescriptions that I need to take routinely were covered previously for a very low copay, mostly $60, $30 or $15.. These same medications with BCBS of Illinois are "covered medications" however the cost is 100% the responsibility of the member. Prescriptions that were very affordable with my previous insurance are now over $400 and $500 out of pocket.

This insurance company has NO regard for the health and well being of its members, it's all about how much money they can make. It's a joke.. our healthcare should not be loading the pockets of insurance companies with billions of dollars while we suffer with ridiculous amounts of money coming out of our paychecks just to be covered and then to find out the services and medications we need are priced so high we cannot afford them. This is the country we live in!!! When will someone stand up!!! They should be ashamed. But they're getting rich and that is their only concern.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

All my previous Health care providers have helped cover the cover cost of ** nasal for migraines. This is a med is absolutely something that must be taken immediately when stricken with my type of migraine. It costs $512.00 for 6 vials at Walgreens. I tried a generic brand they covered and had awful side effects for several days. I called BCB Sheild today and since I read on this site earlier about a woman that wanted her recording of conversation and they told her she would have to get a lawyer, I announced to each rep I spoke to that I'm too am recording the conversation because "My husband isn't home and he needs to hear it."

Could tell they weren't happy to hear it. But what's good for the goose is good for the gander! They asked me what the Procedural Code is for a shot I now need. I'm like slightly stunned because they are the ones that set and have those billing codes are they not? Anyway I feel screwed over and have been quite ill without my med. So let them know YOU are recording them. Makes it a bit harder for them, and YOU have proof.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

My daughter had dental implants done in May and our dentist office mailed in the claim shortly afterward (there were Xrays included). I called to check on it and was told they never received it. I found this odd because that happened to me twice earlier this year when I submitted large claims through the mail (I don't have a fax machine) and they "never received them".

I asked my dentist's office to resend the claim and they did. I called back weeks later and was told they didn't have anything for that claim. I made a 3 way call with my dentist's office manager and BCBS claims department and BCBS said the best way to submit a claim is electronically. The dentist office got the information, which they already had, and filed it electronically. Again, I called two weeks later to see if it was received and I was told it had not been. Of course, BCBS asked if my dentist office had the correct information on where to send it. Yes, they got it from BCBS and sent it while the woman was on the phone! I got the dentist office on the line with them again, and the BCBS rep said it's really best to FAX the claim. So the office faxed it right away and it is now a week later and they still don't have it. At this point, I don't know what I can do to file this claim. It's extremely frustrating!

Original review: July 31, 2019

My experience with Blue Cross was never good, it was terrible. Endless calls, customer service disconnects you all the time, you need to call numerous times and maybe, just maybe you will be in luck to find somebody who will actually pay any attention. So frustrating that you can have a nervous break down just to deal with BCBS of Illinois, at least. I was denied more than twenty claims for a treatment because they stated that I did one which required preauthorization which I actually did not, I did the standard one.

Their mistake... but my time, endless hours on the phone lines trying to talk to customer service of BCBS. Hundred times explaining, faxing materials, proving my point, no help. Got the call from debt collector. They just do not care to actually hear what you have to say. Until unfathomable miracle happened... When I started the appeal there is. In a matter of a week everything was straighten up and paid. Now I am at the square one, with one claim omitted in the appeal. Today I did call three times.

First call I got disconnected and nobody called back (even if they beautifully take your phone number, so you, silly, are hoping that they will call back), than called second time, was transferred to somebody else, supposedly higher with rank but ended up at the starting point, automatic voice command , just at the beginning of your call to regular customer service. Third one I spoke with after long holds, finally, told me to do another, external appeal. Lost another couple of hours today but it is nothing comparing to the previous Gehenna. Worst of all is that there is no hope that this will improve. There is not enough competition.

Blue Cross of Illinois Company Information