3.7/5 (94 ratings)
Find a Health Insurance partner

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

About Blue Cross of Illinois

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Blue Cross of Illinois Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Cross of Illinois?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Cross of Illinois?

Original review: May 7, 2022

After having 4 year membership (it is group insurance from employer), wanted to move out to individual & family insurance from different insurance company. They didn't even support me with loss of coverage letter. Kept me for 20 mins on the line, did cut the call later. On top of that the call is not eligible for giving review/feedback.

Original review: April 19, 2022

I have submitted NUMEROUS out of network claims that have been processed incorrectly, with the provider being wrong, the claim being lost entirely or the claim being processed, paid and then disappear. In total, I've spent more than 5 hours on the phone with their customer support department. DO NOT SELECT BCBS IL if you don't want to be frustrated. Worst insurance company EVER. Would give them 0 stars if that was possible.

Get buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2022

I had a mammogram which should have been covered under Obamacare but wasn't. I had to pay out of pocket $527.48. I called 2 times. On the first call, I was told it was covered, but this last time I called I was told it wasn't. It was considered preventive. I was on the phone for an hour and when I asked to speak to a manager I was told they'll call me back in 48 hours. How does Bluecross not have a manager available?!?

They also didn't cover my ultrasound because they claim it's preventive. My mammogram did not pick up a lump they found during the ultrasound. One would think Bluecross would want to cover this because it will cost them more if I get breast cancer (which runs in my family and I've had lumps) or die. Then they would get no money!! I AM SO ANGRY because I know for a fact that Obamacare covers 100% of a mammogram...GUESS JUST NOT WITH BLUECROSS!! The fact that I called and had 2 different answers and that they are plain out denying coverage is so wrong!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

My company provides us with Blue Cross Blue Shield HMO insurance. Great insurance. The medical networks available to choose from are the best in Illinois and I pay very little out of pocket when I stay in network. Now, may be an issue if I wanted to go to Cancer Centers of America, but I am very satisfied with the plan.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2021

I called and was told they would cover my chiropractor visits except for 2 specific services which was fine as I was not doing either of those. Now after many visits there, they denied my claims! Unbelievable that these companies can get away with stuff like this. To get MY money there is never a problem but when one needs their help, they come up with all sorts of loopholes to deny your claims.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2021

I recommend BCBS Community as their coverage is great as my secondary to my Medicare. It seems everything is covered. Their customer service is also good. Nice, competent people who are patient, knowledgeable and kind. I also feel confident traveling as I have not yet found a place that does not accept it so that's comforting, too. The website is easy to navigate and the verbiage on their site is simple which I am sure helps a lot of folks who are overwhelmed at the thought of insurance and bills.

Original review: April 14, 2021

My wife had an endoscopy due to low blood cell count. After this, the doctor said a capsule endoscopy was needed. The doctor got the okay from BCBS to do the procedure. They denied the claim. Bill $2300.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

I have my health and dental through Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois. I have had the same dental plan for the last 2-3 years, which I have to renew every year (along with my health insurance). I paid my monthly premium through the automatic payment system for both dental and health, which I have done in the past, BUT for some reason, Blue Cross took my money and put it all towards my health insurance (so I had an over-payment/credit), then cancelled my Dental plan, because they said I didnt pay it!

I have been on the phone with them numerous times, (1 phone call lasting 1 and a half hours!!!) ...and all they do is give me the run around to different departments, and blame me for not paying my dental premium! There was no apology, and no way of fixing the cancellation because they said it was my fault for not paying! (Why on earth would I send more money towards my health and nothing on my dental?)

Their customer service is a joke with no one knowing what the hell is going on! They put you on hold numerous times, for long periods of time, and have no answers or apologies, especially when THEY CLEARLY MADE THE MISTAKE! So now I have no dental insurance, and am forced to look elsewhere! I definitely DONT RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2021

I just changed over to BC/BS for 2021. The main reason was pricing. When I called the CS line to check up on payments I was treated with respect and was given the information I needed. So far, so good. What happens this year, remains to be seen.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2020

I have been harassed from Linda ** from Blue Cross Blue Shield for a number of months now. She has Integrity issues. Consistently lying and flipping words around. Accusing me of lies and throwing out all Evidence of the truth. I know I am not the only person that she has been harassing and lying on. This woman should be disbarred. I have proof of everything I say in emails. If this lady is harassing you please come forward and file a complaint against her.

Blue Cross of Illinois Company Information