Find a Health Insurance partner

Help me decide

3.9/5 (193 ratings)
Find a Health Insurance partner

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

About Blue Cross of Illinois

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Blue Cross of Illinois Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Cross of Illinois?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Cross of Illinois?

Original review: Aug. 11, 2021

I called and was told they would cover my chiropractor visits except for 2 specific services which was fine as I was not doing either of those. Now after many visits there, they denied my claims! Unbelievable that these companies can get away with stuff like this. To get MY money there is never a problem but when one needs their help, they come up with all sorts of loopholes to deny your claims.

Original review: April 14, 2021

My wife had an endoscopy due to low blood cell count. After this, the doctor said a capsule endoscopy was needed. The doctor got the okay from BCBS to do the procedure. They denied the claim. Bill $2300.

Get buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

I have my health and dental through Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois. I have had the same dental plan for the last 2-3 years, which I have to renew every year (along with my health insurance). I paid my monthly premium through the automatic payment system for both dental and health, which I have done in the past, BUT for some reason, Blue Cross took my money and put it all towards my health insurance (so I had an over-payment/credit), then cancelled my Dental plan, because they said I didnt pay it!

I have been on the phone with them numerous times, (1 phone call lasting 1 and a half hours!!!) ...and all they do is give me the run around to different departments, and blame me for not paying my dental premium! There was no apology, and no way of fixing the cancellation because they said it was my fault for not paying! (Why on earth would I send more money towards my health and nothing on my dental?)

Their customer service is a joke with no one knowing what the hell is going on! They put you on hold numerous times, for long periods of time, and have no answers or apologies, especially when THEY CLEARLY MADE THE MISTAKE! So now I have no dental insurance, and am forced to look elsewhere! I definitely DONT RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2020

I have been harassed from Linda ** from Blue Cross Blue Shield for a number of months now. She has Integrity issues. Consistently lying and flipping words around. Accusing me of lies and throwing out all Evidence of the truth. I know I am not the only person that she has been harassing and lying on. This woman should be disbarred. I have proof of everything I say in emails. If this lady is harassing you please come forward and file a complaint against her.

Original review: July 29, 2020

I trusted Blue Cross to review/vet the providers that they resell to their customers. I am a BLUE CROSS customer and I expect BLUE CROSS to be responsible for the quality of the providers/plans they sell. Their function in the marketplace is to use their expertise to ensure that I get my money's worth. I have a laundry list of legitimate complaints ranging from full mailboxes, long wait times for treatment approval, over-stretched staff that forgets to forward info to specialists, etc. and the contribution from Blue Cross is to transfer my call to an overseas "case manager" who is only authorized to apologize and cannot provide remedies.

Original review: July 9, 2020

I work in a Doctors office. The treatment for patients and the public in general is priority. We work hard to help everyone that walks thru the door or call the office. That's why it is sooo hard to come across with an organization that is "there to help" and get treated like this. I feel bad for the patients that has to deal with these people, I really do, I've been on the phone since 10am, my first call, is now 12:25PM. They hang up the phone, they put you on hold without notice, they ask for a call back number but never call you because they hang up, the worse customer service. I cannot believe the health and well being of the patients are in such hands.!!!

Original review: June 22, 2020

Company switched to BCBSIL to save a few bucks. This next year is going to be a nightmare as every claim submitted is denied as "not medically necessary" or "the doctor's office submitted it wrong" or some other lame excuse that denies payment without hours and hours of phone calls/writing letters. Plan documents show one thing and their EOB benefit determination show something else. If you call to try to straighten it out, be prepared for an ENTIRE day on the phone, speaking to different people who do NOT have a clue about what they are doing.

This process has made it very difficult to get any screening services done. PPO is no better than an HMO, and prior auth is required on ANY and ALL services you do, or expect to pay out-of-pocket. If I had a choice to use a different insurance, I would in an instant. I have 4 dispute letters to write and we have had this plan for 20 days! I have lost 7 hours of my day today on the phone with this company. RUN from BCBSIL!!!

Original review: March 14, 2020

Apparently a change was made on 1/1/20 that the insurance company did not notify me about that has left me without my blood pressure and Cholesterol meds in the middle of this Coronavirus outbreak. I pay 15k per year for my plan and here I stand at the pharmacy having my covered prescription denied because of an unannounced plan change that required me to have a 90 day subscription. REALLY!! This government constantly talks about how they can do better than Obama did. I can say this I NEVER had this happen to me before. Good riddance to private insurance. It is too expensive and inadequate.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2020

My husband was to have surgery and called to ask how much of his deductible in network and out of network had been used. It has been going on a couple of weeks and they still are unable to give us that info...so we would know how much we will have to pay out of pocket. They have lied and given us the runaround. They say they will call back and do not. I have never ever had such a bad experience with a health insurance company. And they charge a lot for their coverage but their back office is completely a mess.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

I have never been so frustrated trying to reset a password. It took an absurd amount of time to reset because it kept denying all my new password attempts saying when I was CLEARLY following the security guidelines. It kept saying foolish things like "you can't use this special character" or "you can't use the first three letters of days of the week" and I WASN'T EVEN DOING THAT!! So frustrating almost to the point of tears.

Blue Cross of Illinois Company Information