Bankers Life & Casualty Long-Term Care Insurance

Bankers Life & Casualty Long-Term Care Insurance

3.9/5 (193 ratings)

About Bankers Life & Casualty Long-Term Care Insurance

Bankers Life sells term, permanent and universal life insurance policies. Term life insurance covers policyholders for 5, 10 or 20 years, and the whole and universal policies provide coverage for life. Permanent policies automatically include individual riders. Customers must speak to a local representative for quotes and coverage options, then apply with that representative. The company does not let customers apply online.

Bankers Life & Casualty Long-Term Care Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bankers Life & Casualty Long-Term Care Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bankers Life & Casualty Life Insurance?

Original review: July 11, 2022

Their Customer Service when calling their 800 # is extremely frustrating. We have been told different things each time we call to cancel mom's long-term health insurance. She is 96 years old and diagnosed with Alzheimer's. Even with Power of Attorney, they want mom to personally sign a cancellation letter. OMG, so we did that. When I asked to speak to a manager, no one is available. I requested a call back. I was told manager Jean ** would call me back same day. Nothing, no call back. Mom was paying $200 monthly for 20+ years and when she could finally get help through this insurance (home health care), the agency charges so much that it drained mom's investment money. We have to sell her house to afford her care. THIS COMPANY IS A RIP-OFF. DON'T BUY LONG TERM HEALTH INSURANCE.

Original review: July 6, 2022

The policy in question had been paid on time for decades. We went to claim on long term care for two elderly people. The experience was and still is abysmal. Everything takes 10 business days. Everything. They use contractors to do assessments but they appear to have no idea who those contractors are. It took a month after the assessment for the paperwork to appear and then only after multiple calls and follow ups. They take no responsibility for anything. Even when the action is on their part. They have found a number of administrative reasons to delay payment to the point where it became a financial burden.

Escalation of anything is an exercise in extreme frustration and their second level “supervisors” are aggressive and extremely unhelpful and will go so far as to tell you that you are “lucky” to have a policy with them. A month and a half in and they just paid the first payout on a policy with no waiting period. Even that was not the full amount. Avoid at all costs.

Get buying tips about Long Term Care Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2022

My mom has dementia and has been in nursing care since June. She became qualified mid September. She spent a few weeks in skilled which delayed the three month period. Since that time they first only paid a small portion and were behind. Each time they said paper work was not filled out properly or they did not receive it. Finally after multiple calls and threats they caught up and she received money just before my dad ran out of money. This facility is small and is familiar with the paper work and what is needed. It Starts again. They say they have not received the paperwork. My sister has been involved but now I will. I will report them to the Kansas Insurance commissioner and going to start calling the local television stations. I know they are lying. They need to be investigated.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2021

I "ditto" all the issues that people have written Consumer Affairs. Bankers Life seems to need more and more information and threatens to close my request for benefits. When will it end? Their client service agents are polite, but not skilled, and you really need to talk to someone higher up to get true information. Do not believe their client service agents, your claim being "approved", just means you are eligible to file a claim. They don't have "everything" because they will have another request one week later. They work with faxes, so don't expect efficient emails. They will not copy you on requests to providers, yet you are responsible for making sure Bankers has all information. It requires hours and hours on the phone.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2021

Banker’s Life refuses to accept bills from a nursing home saying over and over that the forms are not filled out correctly. They are a nightmare to try to work with. Do not give them any money. They only want to keep what has been deposited with them and not return it to the client.

Original review: June 30, 2021

I purchased a long term care insurance in 2015. Unfortunately while on a trip on July of 2019 I suffered an acute ischemic stroke and became handicapped for life. After two years of endless Physical Therapy, Occupational therapy, Speech therapy, Vestibular Therapy sessions I suffer from all ADL,s plus neuro cognitive and memory issues.

Since day one I have had a struggle with first getting approved. Fighting with them daily from August 15 after I was finally released from the hospital after 14 days and two major surgeries to approve my long term claim. I needed a caregiver since day one of my stroke (paid out of pocket). The first check I saw from them was in October. Three months of telephone calls and frustration. I have been harassed time and time again. Crucified by them. They have not paid me for a year of services. Each time a different excuse. I have appealed my claim more than ten times. Each time taking two to three months. I am sick. I am on medications. I am on antidepressants and Bankers Conseco killed me this past year. They are ruthless. Heartless. Even though I have brought them countless letters from my attending drs that I Am chronically ill That I have issues with all ADL’s they still find a different reason to harass me and not pay my caregiver.

They have put me through hell. They have roasted my heart and soul and in addition they cancelled my insurance even though I paid for it with no reason at all. What a waste of my precious money this past 6 years where I blindly paid them. I have already spoken with an attorney and I will start taking proper action. I have given them way too much time and opportunity. Main point for G-Da sake do not purchase a long term insurance from Bankers, Bankers conseco, Washington mutual. All are the same company. Different names. Same waste of your money. I have cried so many days because of them.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

My two sisters and I have spent countless hours contacting Bankers Life about our mother's long term care insurance. We have made I'm sure, more than 50 phone calls to them trying to get payment for my mother's care in an assisted care facility. As so many others have found, they delay and delay, and stall using many different tactics. Most often they say they have not received the documents even though we know they have been sent. Phone calls are not returned and promises to resolve are not kept. They will do anything to prevent paying out! Stay away from this company.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2021

Banker's Life and Casualty Company does not pay legitimate claims and if they do pay, they do not pay on time. They lie straight to your face with no remorse or concern. If you do not track the payments, they will just happen to skip a payment. They intentionally were saying, "...your October and November claims..." They intentionally left out the September claim payment; had I not asked about it, they would have intentionally not paid it. Here it is Jan 5 and the September and October payments are nowhere to be found. This is normal and quite frankly is abusive to my 87 year old mother that in good faith signed a contract and made all of the payments on time. Is this different than other LTC insurance, sadly for the American people, probably not. So beware! Keep good records! You are going to need them. If anyone reading this has the email addresses of CEOs and the like, please post.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2020

I am my mother's power of attorney. She has been diagnosed with dementia, and also suffers from seizures. She doesn't eat unless she is reminded and can not cook for herself. Her short term memory is gone and has difficulty reading and understanding what she reads. After being her primary caregiver for several years, I was unable to continue. I started the process for assisted living back in March and it has been nothing but red tape and lies since then. Her claim was denied and we are now having to get a attorney.

This company is a rip off. Doing research I have to come to find out they have been sued multiple times in several successful class action suits. They are not going to help you, so be prepared to jump through hoop after hoop and listen to lie after lie. I am contacting both state and federal agencies along with the media. We are obtaining letters from specialists, and hospital records to begin our appeal. Please please save your money. You are better off without this, it is a complete waste of money and should you ever need to use it, you will fight tooth and nail and still not see any benefits. Anyone else having problems I urge you to reach out to the media, and any agencies you can so we can get this company investigated.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

Banker's Life is not a customer focused company. They are only in it to get your money and now with a new long-term care administrator, they have figured out how not to pay claims. Their communications arrive 3 months from the date shown on the "change to a new administrator" letter and 2 months after the effective date of change. They do not tell you how to make a claim in the letter about the change so you have to call and talk to their claim people who are trained to be robots and show no empathy or care about the situation this company has put my family in.

They say they've mailed 4 separate checks but none have arrived. They owe us $9000 now but we can't submit any claims until they get things set up on their end. A person has been assigned to our account and is supposed to call me. The timeframe for a return call is 10 days...and he's out of the office this week. You can't make this stuff up! RUN, RUN, and DO NOT PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM THIS COMPANY.

Bankers Life & Casualty Life Insurance author review by Matthew Brodsky

Bankers Life & Casualty offers a complete range of coverage packages for the elderly, including Medicare supplement insurance, supplemental health insurance, life insurance, annuities and long-term care insurance.

• Comprehensive long-term care insurance: The company provides comprehensive coverage for both nursing home facilities and in-home health care expenses.

• Facility-only long-term care insurance: Bankers Life & Casualty offers coverage for costs associated with long-term care facilities, nursing homes and Alzheimer’s facilities. The company offers both short- and long-term care options in a variety of settings.

• Medicare supplement insurance: Customers can purchase supplemental coverage to lower out-of-pocket costs and travel expenses related to care. The company has plans that let you keep your doctor and visit any hospital.

• Retirement planning: In addition to its long-term care insurance products, Bankers Life can also assist with life insurance and annuities to help secure your financial future.

• Get a free consultation: Talk to an expert long-term care insurance agent to find the right solution for you.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Advisor