Bankers Life & Casualty Long-Term Care Insurance
1.48/5

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Bankers Life & Casualty Long-Term Care Insurance

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Bankers Life & Casualty Long-Term Care Insurance Reviews

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

I am working with Bankers Life (BL) as my mom's power of attorney, processing claims and reimbursements for approved home health care. Well. expect to have your claims REJECTED with canned verbiage as to why. I'm on month number 4. 4 claims placed with all the required documentation, and BL Rejects. Try calling customer service you say. I've phone in many times trying to get more reasoning than the canned form letter verbiage of what I'm doing wrong on the claims (likely nothing). Well BL customer service will be HAPPY to read you, verbatim, the language from their form letter with NO FURTHER detail no matter how many times you ask. Escalate to a supervisor you ask. Tried that too, nope no way can you get anyone other than the person who originally answered the phone.

Avoid this company at all costs. Get refunds for all your premiums NOW, and look for a much better rated company. I'm a telecommunications executive in my late 40s. My mom, 82 yrs old. If my mom was trying to fill out forms and get a claim approved much less reimbursed, she'd be dead a decade and OUT all her premiums AND dead broke since BL won't ever reimburse you no way no how. Next stop is calling the local news station and get more spotlights on this company and its shady business practices.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

Their customer service is beyond awful. My father passed away 9/12/19 and the local agent cancelled his policy as of 9/1/19 even though a death certificate was provided. None of his medical bills between 9/1/19 and 9/12/19 are being paid by insurance that he has paid a monthly premium for for a very long time. I have been trying to get this resolved since learning of the cancellation. As of today, 11/18/19 it has yet been resolved. Every time I call (more than a dozen times), I get a different person with a different answer. They refuse to assign my case to one person. I have spoken to one manager who did nothing to help me. I have not received one phone call back or follow-up call back or any correspondence informing me that they are resolving the issue. I would never recommend this company to anyone.

Get expert buying tips about Long Term Care Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

My 90-year-old mom has paid premiums for years on this policy and yet when needed, they have covered every possible exception to deny and delay any reimbursement! The first time I submitted a claim it was denied on the basis her in-home private caregiver was not certified through the state. Now she has been in a memory care facility, paying out of pocket for 96 days as of this date of 8/2/2019....which would be 96 days. However BL is denying 5 days in the hospital and subsequent 4 days in rehab. She still payed for all days at the facility, but BL denies paying citing they do not pay "bed reservation" days! So not only was she paying out of pocket for the facility, but also the rehab days at $170 per day! This is wrong. And I want to know what Federal or State agency will take complaints on this.

Original review: July 29, 2019

Both parents had and used long term care insurance to be reimbursed for independent caregivers. We briefly used a caregiver company suggested by the Bankers Life agent, Visiting Angels, that was unsatisfactory due to poorly managed and poor quality caregivers. IF not for me, their son, I believe they would not have been able to be reimbursed for their caregiver expenses as they would not have been able to deal with the extreme stalling tactics employed by Bankers Life.

My story: It took 10+ phone calls talking to a different person each time, multiple letters containing requested documentation, extremely long turnaround times to get an answer, to start getting paid. Then some claims would be denied for various bogus reasons, such as my father signed the check to the caregiver, and your mother should have signed it, SERIOUSLY, this actually happened! Their standard answer when I asked how long it will it take until we see a check was, "Well, it takes 30 days from the time we approve the claim to send the check out". What they ALWAYS neglected to add was they didn't know how long it would take to approve the claim AND then it takes a week to put it in the mail, then it takes a few days to reach us.

In other words, they can stall, and stall, and stall they did. After months of back and forth, literally hours on the phone and providing various written documentation, not to mention the extreme frustration I threatened to complain to our state insurance commissioner, magically, they started to be more helpful and we started to receive checks. Ultimately they put me with a 3rd party online caregiver hours reporting system that did work well. Why didn't they do this in the beginning?? Ultimately, we were reimbursed for our caregiver expenses but getting there was extremely difficult, to say the least. My parents would not have been able to navigate it.

Original review: March 18, 2019

My father had three policies with Bankers Life. The first issues we had were with Convalescent Care. First they didn't want to honor the policy, until my father fought it. Then, later I had problems. It seemed they were deliberately trying to keep from paying, as they would not communicate with me and would not answer calls from me or the facility. They skipped out on paying several thousand dollars. Then I found out the agent gave me incorrect information that could have cost me several thousand dollars if the IRS had not been forgiving. Now I am trying to resolve another issue and was told it WOULD be resolved last Thursday, then last Friday, now I am being told it SHOULD be resolved this week, but they don't know when for sure. I asked why I was not told this. No answers. No offer of help. When I finally stated I would be contacting the BBB I was told they would have someone contact me. Been sitting by the phone waiting. Nothing. Lied to again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bankers Life & Casualty Life Insurance?

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT WASTE YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY ON THIS COMPANY. It is heartbreaking that my father passed away with him thinking Bankers Life was taking care of everything. I had to lie to him that all was well to give him some peace of mind as he lay dying. He put so much faith in this ridiculous company and paid in tens of thousands to them to have a secure senior life for my mother and him. Take away point: as my East Texas father would say in that slow drawl; "You would do better to stuff your money up a hog's bottom than use Bankers Life". Thousands of dollars paid out of pocket for long term care for my parents. Always one more document needed and zero payout from Bankers Life. Always sent requested docs posthaste. They sell not LTC, but sadly, a false sense of security.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

If you're looking for LTC insurance DO NOT CHOOSE BANKERS LIFE. If you're in the unfortunate position of either attempting to get BL to pay on a policy or acting for someone who has a policy GET AN ATTORNEY IMMEDIATELY. I hold my father's POA and have been representing him for 5 years and it takes monthly multiple calls to BL, monthly multiple resubmissions of documentation and frequent referrals to our attorney for BL to fulfill their policy agreements. Perhaps profitable for stockholders and CEO but appallingly poor service for policy holders.

Original review: April 16, 2018

When submitting Whole Life policy information (application, policy, "congratulation" pay off letter) to Bankers Life & Casualty customer service 800-525-7662, they told me they have no record of existence. Just wanted to warn others that policies taken out on their newborns will most likely be "lost". Put your money in a savings account for them. Most children are not aware of (60+ years) existing policy OR paperwork will be lost on such policies. Ultimately this is what B&CL is counting on. Either way, policy will not be paid. Policy pay off letter signed by Frank ** at Bankers Life - Oct 1975.

Original review: March 27, 2018

My mother paid huge monthly premiums for many years, now she is dying and livening in a skilled nursing facility so I have been trying for 6 months to get them to pay on this policy but they keep finding excuses not to pay. For the last 3 months I and my Mother's Dr. office have faxed, uploaded and called in the requested information but then every time I call they claim "they have not received any documents"!!! They gave us the fax number to use, and we verified the number (faxed it again X3) then uploaded the documents to their website - as they instructed (we did this X3). Finally the Dr. called and gave them the information & resent the forms.

Then the Nurse called the following week and was told they received the documents except 1 page, so she re-send the missing page. I then called the following week to check on status but was told that they received... NO information at all!!! The people are crooks. They just do not want to pay. People can't be this incompetent without actually trying to be that bad. I try to speak to a supervisor and am told "someone" will call me back, which does not happen. I ask to file a complaint and told I have to "mail them a letter" --- which I'm sure they will lose too! Do NOT purchase this insurance. My Mother's Dr. office tell me they have had lots of problems with this company many other times. This should be illegal.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

If I could give this company zero or negative stars, I would do it. Never have I been treated so poorly by any company. They are inefficient, uncaring, disorganized and downright deceptive. I can’t believe they are still in business. If someone ever tries to sell you or your loved ones one of these policies, run away and don’t look back. I can only imagine how they treat the elderly who have one of these policies and need to file a claim but doesn’t have a child or advocate to battle for them, I can only imagine how they are treated.

My father took out one of their Long Term Care policies back in 1993 and set up the premiums to be paid directly out of his bank account. In August of last year he had a major stroke and would now be needing long term care at a local skilled nursing facility. Even though he had Medicare and supplemental through his work, I started the process of alerting Bankers that I would likely be filing a claim after the first two options ran out. I didn’t have in my possession the actual policy that he had taken out with them and couldn’t find it at his house. I alerted Bankers Life and they told me they would resend the policy to his residence and not mine since they didn’t have my existing POA papers. I said that was fine since I was having his mail forwarded to me anyway and that I would send the POA papers to them. I uploaded the POA forms and waited for the policy.

Weeks later I realized I hadn’t received them, (my bad, but life got in the way). I called again, spoke to someone else who said they had no request on file and they had no record of my POA being uploaded. OK, stuff happens, so I re-uploaded the papers. Waited another couple of weeks, no policy. I call again. They have them. They’re being processed. Several more weeks pass and I receive a confirmation letter that my POA has been recorded in the name of my mother, who had passed 5 years previous. Another phone call to the agency that now is supposed to be servicing the policy since the original agent is now long gone. Agent tells me that they didn’t receive second page of POA. I resend everything again, including my mother's death certificate, but this time to the agent.

Weeks go by, receive another letter finally stating me as the POA. Still no policy. Call again, speak with phone rep, Unique, in of all places, their call center...in Jamaica. Still no request on file for sending me a policy. Request a policy, but they have no record of my POA. Tell her I have a letter stating me as the POA. She says it doesn’t matter, she has no record of it. I am now thoroughly pissed and not certain what to do.

On Nov. 20th, my father passes away. At the beginning of Nov. the nursing home was kind enough to fill out the majority of the claim and submit the claim. This is a service they offer to all their patients' families. She had questions about the claim as well and calls Bankers numerous times and couldn’t get straight answers and could never talk to the same person twice because Bankers doesn’t assign a single person to handle your case, you have the misfortune of having to talk to whomever is available...in Jamaica. She tells me that they keep asking for the same information from the nursing home again and again and again. It is now well into Dec. and they keep asking for the same info yet again. They are sending me letters now, telling me what they are asking for and it’s the same thing as the time before and the time before that etc. The nursing home has now sent the information 3 times.

Oh, and Bankers also doesn’t deal with 21st century technology, everything is done by snail mail. One of the forms I received from them was dated 18 days prior to the date I received it. All of the information from the nursing home had to be snail mailed....again and again and again. The nursing home is now calling me to see if I can call Bankers, since they will give out no information to the nursing home, (and this is after I have told them twice to give the nursing home any and all information that they need), I am furious at the stall tactics and call Bankers yet again.

Spoke with another rep in the Jamaican call center. Can’t understand a darn word she’s saying. They transfer me to another rep. Ann. She can only tell me that the claim is in process and they are waiting on the nursing home. I tell her she’s lying because I just got off the phone with the nursing home and that she has sent all the necessary information 3 times with the last time being 2 weeks ago. I again demand a copy of the policy, she refuses because, guess what? They don’t have me listed as POA??!! And now they don’t have to send me anything because POA ends at death! Oh, that’s right, Bankers didn’t even have that little tidbit of information in the file! I had told everyone I had spoken with after Nov 20th that my dad had passed. I got a condolence letter in Dec, but no one had recorded it in the file. How pathetic is that? And now I don’t have a leg to stand on to get a copy of the policy or any other information.

I demand to speak to her supervisor. I also now am demanding to know where the call center I am speaking to is located. She dances around the issue until she blurts out “Jamaica. We are on the island of Jamaica.” Way to go, Bankers Life. She also was not wanting to tell me her supervisor's name, since he “was out of the office at the moment.” She finally told me his name was “Willy” and that she would have him call me. Yeah, right. No call back that day, or the next.

Finally frustrated to the point of tears, I call the union liaison that Navistar has appointed to help its retirees with insurance claims. He proceeds to tell me how much trouble he has had with them and that maybe the reason they don’t want me to see the policy is because some of their policies he has dealt with offer a refund of premium if no claim is made. I’m now righteously angry.

I now call the agent again, in Waterloo, IA. I explain the issue to her and I’m not speaking softly. She offers to call the home office if I calm down and stop yelling. I apologize and give her a synopsis of the problem. I can tell she thinks I’m exaggerating. She calls back in about 30 mins. Lo and behold, they won’t give her any information or fax her a copy of the policy. This is the AGENT THAT IS SUPPOSE TO SERVICE THE POLICY AND THEY WON’T GIVE HER ANY INFORMATION! She is stunned. Does tell me that as soon as the higher ups return from their New Year’s retreat, (yes, by now it is 2018.) I am done waiting.

I draft an email to her (although to her credit she is the only person at Bankers that actually tried to help me and showed some modicum of empathy towards me). The email stated that I wanted a copy of the policy in my hands in 2 days and that I had already contacted my attorney and was filing a bad faith lawsuit. I also stated that I had already opened a case against them in the State of Illinois with the Department of Insurance. The next call would be to my State Senator and a local Circuit Judge. I get an immediate response from the agent that she is forwarding my email to the powers that be regardless of what retreat they are on.

The next day, I get a call from Rob in the home office...in Chicago. He is stunned and amazed by how Much trouble I have had...But he still can’t send a policy directly to me!!! He assures me that he will personally oversee the rest of my claim...that it is in process and they are only waiting on the nursing home!!! He assures me that he would make sure a check is cut to the nursing home as soon as the claim is completed. He says they will overnight the policy to my father's address, in Central Illinois, 4 hours away from me. He says they will forward it after I tell him there is no one there to receive it. No problem, he says they will definitely have it forwarded. Guess what? It wasn’t forwarded! Fed Ex left it in the freaking DOOR!!! My husband drives 8 hours round trip to retrieve the policy. Finally received a check from them for the claim on February 2nd, when I had begun the claim process on Oct. 4th. Yes, that’s 5 months.

My husband, who works for a major insurance company, was appalled by how badly this company runs its claims. The final icing on this wretched cake came with the check. In a small statement on the stub, the comment was written, and I quote this, “patient has not met the required waiting requirements. Your insurance does not pay for losses to the extent that they are covered by Medicare. However, as a valued policyholder, and to provide you with the best possible service, we are applying Medicare covered days towards your elimination period. You have met 20 of 20 days of your elimination period to date.” Yes, thank you Bankers Life for being so gracious as to afford me the finest possible customer service, you pathetic excuse for a company. If this is the best possible service, I would sorely hate to see their worst.

Bankers Life & Casualty Life Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Doing business since 1879, Bankers Life and Casualty has long been a trusted name in life insurance. With a core value of creating affordable insurance, it is no surprise that this company has branched out to include long-term care insurance and Medicare supplemental plans.

• Total health package: Bankers Life and Casualty offers a complete range of health insurance packages for the elderly. It includes supplemental Medicare coverage, long-term care insurance and in-home coverage.

• Home health care is covered: For many, the idea of moving into an assisted living facility or nursing home is unpalatable. This company offers an alternative by providing coverage paying for in-home health services.

• Extensive options: Many insurance policies only cover nursing homes or specific types of care, but Bankers Life and Casualty has several tiers that work well for all ages. The company offers both short- and long-term care options in a variety of settings.

• Exceptional customer service: Bankers and Life Casualty boasts of its superior customer service, which is available through phone or email.

• Comprehensive retirement planning: In addition to their long-term care insurance products, they also assist with life insurance and annuities to help secure your financial future.

• Best for: Parents, retirees and the elderly.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky