Bankers Life & Casualty Long-Term Care Insurance

• 2 stars3
    • 1 stars27
      73%

Compare Long Term Care Insurance Providers

Research top Long Term Care Insurance Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

347people found this page helpful

Record a review about your experience with Bankers Life & Casualty Long-Term Care Insurance:

Login to record a Video Review

Consumer Complaints & Reviews

We paid into our long term care policy for 16 years before my husband got sick and had to go to a Assisted Living Facility. I have been trying to deal with Bankers Long Term Care customer service since then. His payments are usually wrong and it takes several telephone calls and much stress to finally get it taken care of. I feel that I have to fight them every month to make them do the right thing. Customer service stinks and a manager won't call you back. In 10 days my October payment will be due, and I am still working on getting Bankers to settle up on the August payment. They are a very hard Co. to deal with. My advice would be to take your money and business to a more reliable company and not have the stress every month, not to mention dealing with a very sick spouse.

We have met all of their requirements, had two nurses state that my mom cannot be left alone because of her vertigo and dementia which has her confused. They keep finding excuses to not pay, they paid for a few months and for some reason think my 86 mom's doctors and nurses that they sent to evaluate are both not telling the truth. Mom has been paying on this policy for over 13 years and for what, she needs help now and can't be left alone. We don't have the means to pay out of our pockets and need to work to pay bills. Scared and frustrated, please can someone tell me what to do??? This is both wrong and evil!!

I have spent 4 months trying to get Bankers Long-Term Care to pay for my 85 yr. old father's care in a qualified care home. I have proof that all the documentation was faxed to Bankers when he was put in the care home. 4 months later they still will not assign us a representative for our claim. Customer service just bounces you from one person to the next. And all they can say is they still don't know if he is qualified or if the facility is qualified. And every time I call they move their answer date back another 6 weeks.

I am turning them into the insurance commission and contacting my lawyer. As my parents will now have to sell their house just to afford my father's care. Mind you they bought this policy in 1996. And Bankers won't pay off on the claim but they still want my mom to pay them every month for a policy they won't honor. You are better off same bagging your money to pay the care home direct when your time comes. Bankers Life and Casualty is taking advantage of senior citizens. Please don't let it happen to you.

My parents both took great care in their early 60's to research and purchase long term care insurance. They both were issued policies from Bankers Life. My father paid on his policy for over 13 years before he became so ill we needed to make a claim. Bankers Life took way too long to set up payment, would send letters saying claims would not be paid (even though some were) and then finally, after we thought we had worked all the kinks out (which was like a part-time job) they sent a letter saying we were near our max claim (but would not tell us what that max was) and that my father would no longer have care. They had the audacity to write in the next line that they "were here to help."

My father will now have to pay for care out of pocket for 6 months before they will review another claim. "Customer service rep" when asked if he would likely be covered if he had to have a foot amputated or had a stroke replied "probably not." This company just plays games with people. Your loved one may die waiting for their care. If you want to pay for years to only get a year of coverage then you might not think it's so bad. Buyer beware.

When I set up my account they were able to answer all of my questions and accurately. I don't remember the policy options due to I was in the navy when I signed up for the policy. But it was easy to set up at the time which was about ten years ago. It is to cover my expenses when I pass away and leave it to my kids. I remember that the plan that I chose was a high amount of pay out for so little of a price that I pay monthly. The value of the plan that I chose I felt was best for me at the time of purchase of the plan. I feel that my family will be in the best interest of my family.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bankers Life & Casualty Life Insurance?

Coverage is easy to choose and select because you can choose what policy is best for you and what will cover for you or your family and their options are great. They are helpful and informative because they answer any and all questions you may have concerning your policy and coverage. The customer service is always friendly and nice and wonderful.

I did call to verify I was paying the right amount and they seemed nice enough. It was offered through my work and I only had 2 options so I can't really say that much about them other than I took the one that costs the most in hopes when I need this it will provide the best. I have heard from others that Bankers Life is very good but I have no personal experience with them. I hope that when the time comes they will provide what they are suppose to. It is much more reasonable than what I was paying at my last job and as I have stated others seem to think it is one of the better companies that provide long term ins.

I signed up. Got add to Ins for long time care. Had surgery & started getting bills. Told no worries medicare will review & delay. After several bills I paid it. Never got a refund. Had to cancel my checking account & debit card. I have all my paperwork. I have called and been to office in Laguna Hills 3 times now, phoned left messages, faxed info as required, now they need one more thing. Searching the companies on my computer reflects similar comments. Taking advantage of seniors.

Think about it before you invest in this company & coverage or lack of it. Wish you luck. I'm in my 3rd month keep copies of everything, record conversations with company. Protect yourself with some other company is my advice. I can face or put on my phone & send photos of all I have done on my behalf to get funds paid. On my third visit to doctor I was told they knew nothing about it. Wonder egos making money on this & would like to see how many people have had same experience.

After all the horror stories about BLC in consumer reviews and in the media, I was about ready to hire an attorney before we ever filed the first claim in late December 2015 (for assisted living) for my 91-year old cognitively impaired mother who entered an assisted living facility in mid-April 2015. I sent a copy of her POA with the claim, but they contacted her for information anyway.

I wrote a blunt letter in late January of 2016 telling them not to contact her again and sent another copy of the POA. I then heard nothing else until last week. It was a letter dated mid-February stating that she qualified under the terms of her coverage as of mid-April 2015 (the beginning.) The next day I got a $12,000 check in the mail for October 15 - January 16 bills.

I called today to check on the other months and refund of the premiums for the retroactive months during which we had paid the $400 per month in premiums. The customer service representative said the check for mid-July - September of 2015 has been processed and mailed out and a separate one is in process for the refund of eight months of premium payments. The total of the payments for the retroactive coverage is $26,000. This miracle has occurred without any intervention on my part beyond the one letter I sent.

My brother and I were hoping they would start paying as of now, but figured we would have to fight for it. We certainly had not dared to hope they would backdate her eligibility (even though the policy said they might). After this unbelievably positive experience with Bankers Life, I felt I owed it to that company to write this review.

Twenty five years ago when my parents retired they set about making out their will, pre-paying funeral expenses, etc. They met a salesman from Bankers Life who told them about their amazing long term care plan for only $110 a month! The clause my parents liked the best was that it would pay a family member up to $100 a day to provide care for one of them should they need help at home. Well, who know if this is true or not! We have been sending forms, claims, medical records, documentation, for over 18 months and Bankers Life always has a reason to refuse the claim or close it out due to "insufficient information" then we need to file another application and open the claim again. Now my 89-year-old mother is at home with me in the final stages of lung cancer with hospice support. Those of you who have gone through it can attest to the emotional and physical toll it takes on the caretaker - so let's add Banker's Life to the mix.

We live in a suburb of Boston - the latest letter regarding our application for reimbursement for home care services provided states "we were unable to locate a Licensed Home Health Care Agency near your address." Are you kidding me? They're all over the place being so close to a metropolitan area with numerous world known hospitals!!! The consequences are that I'm paying out of pocket for home health care support because any "Licensed Home Health Care Provider" that I spoke to would not work with Bankers Life and requires private pay.

The agency is being great providing me with documentation every week to try to meet the requirements. I'm going into debt so I can go to work part-time to avoid too much FMLA unpaid time. These stories would make good fodder for a John Grisham novel. 5 red stars in all areas (the system would only allow 2 for dissatisfied) - my parents' money went down the drain $110 a month for 25 years - now nothing but stress and possibly attorney's fees to show for it.

I have struggled with Bankers Life long term care insurance for 4 months now concerning my 80 year old mother's claim. This company uses a phone bank for correspondence and you never get the same person. I mailed, faxed, and uploaded to their website all forms needed and for two months they lied and said never received correspondence. I finally got a employees email and scanned to her. So then I had proof of items sent. Took another month for approval and now they saying September is not her 30 day grace period and November is so avoiding to pay us thousands we paid the nurse.

I have contacted the SC insurance commissioner and launched an investigation for Bankers purposely prolonging claims and cheating the ill elderly. This company will do anything not to pay. Worst company I have ever in my lifetime dealt with. It's a shame they don't pay what people have paid for all their life. It's stressed and upset my mom to the point she has lost too much weight so I had to tell them not to contact her. My mother is in her last stage of renal kidney disease and is on dialysis 9 hours a day to stay alive. I cannot believe we have a company like this in operation. It's a total nightmare.

We have Bankers Long-Term Care for 15 years. Lived in Mo. at time. Has been nothing less than a nightmare. Started with 5 years, just got a new $1000.00 rate increase. Will now have only about 30% of what we started with. Bankers agent told us any rate increase must be approved by state insurance dept. This was not true. What a waste of money.

I signed with one of your agents Sheppy. I already had Colonial Penn but I needed home health care. I signed up. She deposited my check too early and I started the month over 100.00 in the hole. Tried to explaining it to her but she would not listen. Secondly I told her I was in immediate need of home health care. First I was told I had to wait two months. During that time I had to pay someone for the help I needed. Then I was told they needed proof I paid her which she supplied. Now they are saying if I filed a claim within two years I needed a referral from a doctor, medical records for five years, and when they received all of that it would take at least ten more days to get it approved and another 45 days to start payments.

In the meantime I have spend all of my savings paying someone. At the rate this be handled I might be dead before you people do what you said. I have a policy and have read it three or four time looking for the information you said you needed. If my claim is not processed and paid by 12/10/2015, I am filing a claim with the Better Business Bureau and writing the Insurance Commission about shady business practices. Who would do a sick senior citizen like this?

My parents purchased a long-term care policy from this company years ago and automatically deducted premiums for that entire time. My mother, suffers from dementia and Parkinsons and was placed in a long-term care facility. We filed a claim with Bankers Life and I sent them a stack of documentation from the facility and her doctors, they than said they needed "more documentation" from the facility and her doctors. It took over 60 days for them to finally certify and send a check.

Once we had that taken care of, we were told to send the monthly invoices we received from the facility (after they were paid, of course) to Bankers Life claims department and they would reimburse us. We did, and we have received nothing but stall tactics, headaches and frustration. This company will try ANY trick in the book to deny the monthly claim. I have begun documenting EVERY representative that I speak with and my mothers long term care facility has as well.

My experience has been nothing but frustrating and full of headaches. Today the representative told me that they STILL need more information and I was happy to be calling from home and not my desk at work because I let loose and after almost 10 minutes on hold and me providing the date, time, and name of the person the nurse spoke with and the last check magically went out yesterday. I told her... "I'm in Wisconsin and you're in Indiana and if that check isn't here in 5 business days I will be calling again!"

When my mother was 85 and my father was 88, a Bankers Life agent, John developed a friendly relationship with my small town parents. He would drop in time to time just to visit and check on them. The other times when his sales numbers were low, he would sell them annuities, home healthcare policies, life insurance. This guy was a repeat offender. He even had my 89 year old father with Alzheimer's "witness" a document. This is just to give you an idea of how shady this company is.

We left a lot of the benefits in place because Mom like John and she didn't suffer from acute Alzheimer's like my father, but she did have mild dementia and when the insurance company gave her the runaround she was not equipped to stand her ground or meet their redundant requests. That's when my sisters and I took charge. It is the same story that many of you share here. Refused claims even when paperwork is in order, loopholes, rude customer service agents, endless transfers and excuses. It took us almost a year of constant battling to get their claim approved and benefits in place.

My father died before he could use all his benefits, but mom exhausted her care allowance and has to pay premiums again for six months before she can make another claim. We knew this ahead of time and called to make arrangements to restart policy premiums and to start we did not want to risk losing this policy. It is all that stands between her and a nursing home. We faxed the documents. I have the fax log confirmation. I faxed it again requesting information. Nothing came in the mail, and honestly I forgot to get back with them. I thought I would be reminded by something arriving in the mail. I should have known better. I already know their tricks.

Four months later we are getting close to making another claim. I'm getting ready with doctor's evaluations, statement of receipt, certified CNA's, daily care logs and proof of care. I am meticulous because I have learned what they want. I looked in her bank to count how many ACH withdrawals have been made from Bankers Life- ZERO. No evidence of any activity from Bankers Life in the checking account. I call their customer service dept to learn the policy had been cancelled due to non-payment. Wait, what?

They said they never rec'd the fax. Even though I said I have the fax confirmation, the reps response was "that only proves you sent it, it does not prove we rec'd it." It is past the deadline now and the policy has been cancelled. I could submit a letter requesting reinstatement was the response I received when asked what I needed to do to fix this situation and get things back on track. This information was not freely given. I had to ask several times. So now, I am sending the fax confirmations, the ACH paperwork and a request to reinstate via fax, upload and snail mail to be sure they received the info. I am also sharing this with my Senator Bill Nelson who was key in expediting VA spousal benefits for my mother when the VA was taking a year to process her claim. I am hopeful for good results.

You have to understand their goal is to make it SO difficult to submit a claim that most older people just give up. Get involved with your parents care, document every fax, phone call, email. Save everything. Record the phone calls and tell them that you are doing it. If you have done everything you're supposed to and you still feel cheated please email your senator. Involve your local politicians, that's what they are there for, to help you when situations seem hopeless or unfair. I wish I had an ending for this story, we are still engaged in a battle.

I have made monthly payments since 1992 for 2 policies. One for nursing home care and one for in-home care for my wife and myself. During mid 2014 I initiated a request for in-home care for my wife and selected a local caregiver company. After complying with Bankers Life application requirements we were finally approved for benefits but were told that we had to pay the caregiver for the first 14 days of care, (an elimination fee). We did that and then stopped care to go to Florida from 01-13-15 to 03-26-15. When we returned to Ohio and asked to re-start care, we were told we would have to apply all over again and pay another 14 day elimination fee. I protested, to no avail because of a clause in my policy requiring this any time care was stopped for 6 months or more. Is this fair or justifiable when it's my money they are using?

I am now in the process of trying to get Bankers Life to pay for the long term care that my parents purchased years ago. My mother is in an assisted living facility as of June 4, 2015. I have submitted, FedExed and called the company once a week since her admittance. I have yet to receive a check for her two months that my dad has paid out of pocket. I have read nothing but negative reviews. You have to have them in the facility in order to submit the claim, however after they are admitted, you can't get the claims paid. I was told it takes 25 days after receipt of everything they request.

Well 25 days has come and gone and we have yet to receive an answer or check. I will not give up. My dad has paid on this policy for 20 years and he will receive the benefits promised. I am up for a class action suit or a private suit. But I will not give up. I will call the agent and the claims department everyday if I have to. This is ridiculous. They promise the moon when they are selling the policy but won't give you a light bulb when the time comes to cash in on the need.

We have been frustrated with Bankers Life/Transamerica for a claim we file for my 94 year old mother who needs full time care. They are good at stalling on the claim and come up with all these things they have to do before they will make a decision. My mother needed Home Health Care first and that was a nightmare also. After 6 months, they denied the claim. I turned it into the Insurance Commissions office and they got them to pay the claim. I think they are hoping people will give up and then they will not have to pay the claim. My mom pays 10,000.00 per year and this is how they treat her. Not a company I would recommend.

Bankers Life Agents prepared two policies for my husband in our home. One for Life Insurance and the second for Long Term Care Insurance. The Life Insurance in the amount of 25K was replacing an existing policy for 10K the Long Term Care Policy a new Policy. We submitted to all medical review questions and provided the names of my husband medical doctors, tests labs etc. The policies were issued and premiums were deducted accordingly.

The Long term care claims were denied because my husband attended his doctor during the week the policy was being processed. Policy denied. Now my husband has passed away and I'm told this policy is being contested as well. The policy was underwritten by professionals and we complied with every request to provide access to all medical records. Now when I need help the most I get the cold stare from the agents and the company.

Minimal communications - the lady on the phone said something will be mailed to me. I submitted this policy to the funeral home in good faith. This company is a sham. I'm cancelling my existing policy because I don't want the same thing to happen to my loved ones. Consumers have no protection against these slick agents and underwriters. They have access to your medical records and doctors and can deny a policy at will.

I recently filed claims with Bankers Life & Casualty LTC on behalf of my mother. The process went very smoothly. I used their web-based document upload service. They were quick to respond and let me know what was lacking (e.g. the plan of care from the LTC facility). Once all of the requested information was submitted by all of the parties (me, Mom's physician, and the LTC facility), we were notified within a couple of weeks that the claims were approved. About 2 weeks later, we received the first reimbursement check. We received the 2nd check last week. The LTC facility faxes them the itemized bill each month. I am going to see if they provide a direct deposit option (which is how I stumbled on these bad reviews of Bankers Life and decided I need to let people know that someone has had a positive experience). But even if they don't offer direct deposit, I will still be pleased.

My father-in-law has Alzheimer's disease and was diagnosed 3 years ago. Our nightmare with Bankers began in January 2012. I have read all of these complaints and feel as if I am reading our own story. I will try to keep this short and share some possible strategies that we are trying.

We began meeting with the first agent in January of 2012 after my father-in-law went missing and was thankfully found. We started the claim process at that time. After numerous delay tactics, mismanagement, and incompetence on the part of Bankers, we were finally, one year and two months later in March 20, he was DENIED money for his daily care. We were asked numerous times to provide information that we had already provided. It went on and on. In addition, our caregiver was told to take classes for her certificate and she would be covered. She spent over 700.00 to complete the course, but they refused to pay on the grounds that she was an independent caregiver. Nowhere in the policy does it stipulate that the caregiver needs to be associated with an agency. I wrote to the NJ Insurance Complaint Department, but to no avail.

Just recently, my father-in-law stayed at a local facility for respite care, which was covered in his policy. The dates were 12/24/14-1/5/15. Of course the facility faxed 33 pages of information to Bankers, then completed another 10 pages deemed necessary for the claim process to continue, which it hasn't. That was not enough. They required an itemized bill, which the facility does not complete. I'm sure Bankers knows this well.

However, the facility has been very helpful and is trying to meet all of Bankers' requirements. The facility stated that they have NEVER dealt with this problem before and they deal with companies all the time. I have called Bankers repeatedly. The last time I asked how many people were handling our claim and the man said, "Quite a large number of people." This is absurd. Every time I call now I am taking names and writing what they tell me about the claim so I can keep track. I get someone different all the time. They appear to be reading from a script. I could go on and on. This claim still has not been resolved. But let's do something.

Please help me do the following: Write a letter to the president of the company - Mr. Scott Goldberg. It looks like the HQ is in Chicago. 111 E. Wacker Dr. Chicago, IL 60601-3713. Write to the insurance complaint department in your state. Nothing will help unless we make this more public. My next step will be to contact 7 On Your Side, our TV station in NYC. Please contact your local station. Please send letters to your local newspapers. CNN also has investigative reporters such as Drew Griffin. Write to the BBB of Illinois. You can do that on the BBB website. I am appalled at how much time this takes. But the bigger issue is that this company is getting away with making promises and knowing full well that unless an elderly person has someone to fight for them, they will never get a penny.

I put in a claim for my father in September 2014 and expected a claim check to start in December of 2014. We have not gotten a check for December, January and now February. I have spent many hours on the phone and each time they tell us that some other information for him all of the requirements from the beginning of this process but they did not. After many lies that the check will be sent out, we still have no payment for his care. I would never take out any insurance from this company. They take your money but do not pay their claims!

After a stroke, and they provided no help. Now my step mom is in a nursing home and I am going to try to get the policy reinstated, but after reading all of the reviews, it still looks like there is going to be a battle to even get them to pay anything. She is being forced to spend down her assets/life insurance policy and lose her home to apply for Medicaid when she had a long-term care policy in place. This is not right. Shame on these insurance companies preying on the elderly.

We began filing a claim for my father who is 94 and needs 24 hr care because of various health reasons. We first began the process in Sept. of 2014 and have yet to receive any funds, though he is well qualified, we have met all requirements, and he has met the deductible easily. Every time we call, we get a different agent in all countries around the world. Each agent has different information and every time we are told that we need something different to meet the requirements. My parents both have a considerable amount invested in LTC and I am ready to help someone bring a class action lawsuit!!!

This company preys on the elderly who can't defend themselves. It is as bad as the scams you read about with people taking money from the elderly. I will keep on this company until something is resolved!!!

My mother-in-law took out a policy for long term care with these people 15 years ago and now wants to use the policy and it is a nightmare. I'm surprised there hasn't been a class action lawsuit against them. They are happy to take your money for years but they DO NOT want to pay any claims. They keep harassing us and calling us trying to find a reason why they don't have to pay. The agencies they use have extremely POOR workers providing care. We have had 5 different employees in a few months period because they keep quitting.

They tell you you can go with whoever you want, but that is pretty much a lie too because they will look for ANY reason not to pay a claim. They keep calling to see if they can find something in your recorded conversation that will let them off the hook. If you're even considering this company - run - don't walk. I would NEVER get a policy like this and especially NOT from Bankers Life, after seeing how difficult it is to use it. It was definitely a waste!

I will be 86 in a couple of months. My husband has Parkinson’s and I have been caring for him now starting our 70th year. When we took out the policy in 1999 everyone’s so helpful. Little did we realize what laid ahead when we needed to start using the policy. When we used Visiting Angles they told us they would not recognize them. The agency sent documentation to no avail. We then got private girl only to be told that Home Health Aid would not work. Finally got a CNA. Reading previous complaint on this site it is what I have gone through. They would say they didn't get pages etc. It has been a nightmare.

Finally I have been getting help with an office locally. She would fax to them my paperwork so no excuses. They have been wonderful but now the headquarters say this is not enough. I would send them for the last couple of years a copy of the back and front of the check. Now they want the banks cancelled check so we are talking waiting a month before I get my statement and a couple weeks for them to process. I am tired out fighting this awful company. Would love to quit but that is probably what they want. Can't something be done???

My Mother (who is 80 yrs. old) has had this policy since 2002, and has had $90/month deducted from her checking account for the past 12 years! In May of 2014, she suffered a stroke, and was unable to stay in Senior Housing. I moved her into Assisted Living (which Banker's Life does cover). I requested paperwork to submit a claim, and once received I diligently filled-out all paperwork & faxed to the # listed. I had to call numerous times to check on status, couldn't understand any of the rep's I spoke with (terribly heavy accents - made me think I was calling Dell Tech support). They repeatedly sent out paperwork asking for the same information over and over. Everyone I spoke with said they'd make Notes of our conversation, but they never did.

She did a brief stay in Rehab, while in Assisted Living (which Medicare & supplemental Insurance covered). We just got a letter in the mail stating that they've now overpaid us (since they paid for the Rehab stay--which we told them OVER & OVER that we were NOT claiming for that care), but they refused to listen & cut the check anyways. Now they are requesting reimbursement. We finally received one check and have submitted additional invoices for her care thru October 2014. In the meantime, we've spent well over $24,000 for her care, and her move to a permanent Long-term care Nursing Home. We're waiting for reimbursement of Sept. & Oct. charges to continue to pay for her care. We cannot put her on Mass Health as long as there is Insurance Money that can be used.

Now, we're scrambling to make another Month's payment to the Nursing Home. BUT I have to get on the phone & explain to them AGAIN, that they paid for care they shouldn't have, and that we're still waiting on payment for her Assisted Living expenses, and Nursing Home care. They very readily took her $$ for 12 years, but when it comes to submitting a claim for reimbursement, they make it extremely difficult - and if it wasn't for me, her daughter handling this, she would've given up on submitting any type of claim - due to her age & health. Oh yes, and as her Power of Attorney, it took over 3 phone calls to get them to even talk to me. They wanted an Original copy of the PoA which I don't mail out to anyone. I wouldn't recommend anyone buying LTC Policy thru them, unless you don't plan on using it.

My mother purchased a Long Term Home Health Insurance Policy on April 12, 2002, from Agent Kip **. Since then she has become legally blind and they refused to pay for care. In August 2012, I traveled to Washington to help take care of my mother as she had become a danger to herself. Being there 24/7, I realized that she was having periods of confusion/paranoia. These became severe enough that she was diagnosed on January 9, 2013 with Dementia. I could no longer take care of her, so we moved her to Patriots Landing Assisted Living. She had to have help bathing, being taken to meals, dressing, given medications and so on.

I contacted Banker's and asked what they needed for me to file a claim. They gave me a list, reminding me that this was supposed to be a home policy and therefore they would only pay the amounts for the services themselves, not the "room and board charges." I assembled everything they asked for in a packet and sent it to them. They continually requested the same information from me and her doctor and Patriots Landing numerous times, then denied the claim. I contacted Kip, the agent, who said he didn't know why they would deny it and that he had also sent a copy of the info to them. Since then, the Claim Dept has told me to file for an appeal, as my mother's Dementia has progressed to the point where she could not stay in Assisted Living (she attacked other residents) so she was sent to Highline Medical Hospital's Specialty Campus, where she was evaluated again for a two week time period with a final diagnosis of Dementia and Alzheimer's.

Since Patriot Landing had no opening in their Memory Care wing, she was transferred to Emeritus @ Harbour Pointe, in Ocean Shores, WA. My sister had built a house there, and would be able to visit with her there. I filed and sent all the paperwork again, this time as an appeal. After weeks, I called to be told they wanted it filed as a new claim since she was at a new facility (meaning we would not be reimbursed the amounts they should have paid from February 2013 on). And finally, we get to today, when I received a call telling me the claim was denied. Emeritus hadn't sent the documentation to prove Dementia, nor other statements of itemized billing and their Facility License, and that even if they had, we need to go to a different company called "Personal Service Providers" at ph (360) 538-1540.

The claim was denied. I have been around and around with this company, supplying the paperwork time after time, and they are still taking money every month for this policy they refuse to pay on. I can't be the only one they are doing this to, and I am ready to do whatever it takes to get them to honor their contract or refund all monies they have collected from my mother, with interest calculated at the 2002 rates.

After paying for years into this insurance policy and finally placing a claim, the seller assigned us to an agency that was very ill-prepared to care for much of anyone. It has been a struggle from the word go. More so, no one provided a list of agencies from which to choose and the one recommended threatened us with the idea that no other agency, locally, would be able to bill the insurance directly. No care to the elderly. Just a machine to feed the loop of insurers, providing agency, and the less than helpful staff.

Don't understand the "no account rep" complaints - I have had an account rep ever since I bought a policy 7 years ago. In fact, I get called by reps and managers at least once a year here in MA, and the same in CT. I have not - thankfully - needed to access it yet, so I can't additionally vouch for them. I have a high-deductible "MediGap" policy with them and I get tons of contacts from them on that.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Doing business since 1879, Bankers Life and Casualty has long been a trusted name in life insurance. With a core value of creating affordable insurance, it is no surprise that this company has branched out to include long-term care insurance and Medicare supplemental plans.

• Total health package: Bankers Life and Casualty offers a complete range of health insurance packages for the elderly. It includes supplemental Medicare coverage, long-term care insurance and in-home coverage.
  • Home health care is covered: For many, the idea of moving into an assisted living facility or nursing home is unpalatable. This company offers an alternative by providing coverage paying for in-home health services.
  • Extensive options: Many insurance policies only cover nursing homes or specific types of care, but Bankers Life and Casualty has several tiers that work well for all ages. The company offers both short- and long-term care options in a variety of settings.
  • Exceptional customer service: Bankers and Life Casualty boasts of its superior customer service, which is available through phone or email.
  • Comprehensive retirement planning: In addition to their long-term care insurance products, they also assist with life insurance and annuities to help secure your financial future.
  • Best for Parents, retirees and the elderly.

Compare Long Term Care Insurance