2. Finance

American General Life Insurance

American General Life Insurance
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.63/5

American General Life Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American General Life Insurance?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about American General?

Original review: July 8, 2020

We had the policy since 1994 and they made us sign for direct debit from our bank account. We did not change our bank since then. When the policy reached the term, they increased premium and continued to debit my bank account without informing us. However, we changed address, but, our email address was the same and we did not get any notification via our email, even though they had it on their file. After 6 months of them deducting $1300/month, we contacted them and inquired about it. We told them that we did not agree to continue the policy after it reach the term, but they said we have to inform them.

So, told them to terminate it immediately and 4 weeks later, they went back and requested the debit from the bank. Thank God, I have already blocked their payments with the bank, so they can't continue with this scam. The worse company ever and we keep writing to them letters after letters and emails after emails and waiting to cancel it. On my online account, it still shows as it is active. They are taking advantage of people who were their customers for more than 20 years and that clearly shows that they are not at all trustworthy.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

This is an awful company. I had paid my monthly premiums for 19 years. It has come to a point where insurance will increase ridiculously. I have tried to cancel policy since October of 2019. I was told policy was canceled last month and that I would receive a reimbursement. Well, policy wasn't cancelled, I got charged this month and apparently in about 15 days my bank will be deducted for 15 times what I was paying. This is ridiculous. Do not get involved with this company.

Get buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

One of the worst company to deal with. I pay my life insurance policy in 6 months installments. December 2019 I made another 6 month advance payment. They cashed my check then sent me a letter stating, I had a lapse in my policy. They stated they were not accepting my 6 month premium in advance anymore and was returning my premium of $348 within 10 days. It is over a month and I haven't received the payment and they refuse to send me a month statement as requested.

I tried to login my account online and they locked the account. They have not cashed my January 2020 payment. I previous has a automatic debit from my account. They stop debiting the account and sent me a cancelation notice without any line of communication. The reason was they changed systems and did not advised the customers of the change. After threatening to file a complaint/lawsuit against this company they reinstated my policy. Be very cautious with this company.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

I have yet to experience a company equally as bad as American General insurance when it comes to customer service. I have called on three separate occasions trying to speak to a representative but all I get is "We apologize for the delay." Is American General so cheap that they cannot afford to hire sufficient representative to take care of customer needs?

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

AIG: Welcome to the Comcast of Life Insurance Companies. Great: Price. Not-so-great: Impossible to get anyone on the phone. They are always "experiencing higher than average call volumes." That is mathematically impossible unless you are continuously getting worse in staffing your call centers, or managing reps in providing effective service efficiently. When you finally do get someone on the phone, to help you with your internet password, or answer a question about your policy or payments, don't expect to be able to understand them. English-speaking ability is apparently not valued, even though the company name is American General Life Insurance, or also branded

Original review: Oct. 6, 2019

My mother had a life insurance policy that was to be split between my brother and myself. Mom passed away on July 1,2019. We filled out the necessary paperwork and sent it in for payment. My brother whose check was dated August 21, 2019 received his check on August 26, 2019. Not bad,but----I waited the 10 business days from August 21 as I was instructed to do by AGL, still no check. I called again Sept. 13, 2019 and was told that they would stop payment on the August 21, 2019 check and would issue another that should arrive in 5-10 business days. They verified they had correct mailing address, etc. Today is October 6, 2019 and still no check. I strongly recommend not getting policies with AGL.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

Long hold times and then poor help. The reps are obviously reading from notes and don’t know how to solve basic concerns. After supplying what was asked for multiple times for my claim, each time they would send a form letter after about 10 days saying the claim was incomplete with no description of what was needed. Then the whole process starts over... I’d quit if they didn’t owe us money. Maybe that’s what they are aiming for?!

Original review: July 19, 2019

My mother passed away in March 2019. After flying over for her funeral I am trying to sort out her affairs from the UK., and claiming on our policy. After approx 30 hrs on the phone to date being held on the line and being told conflicting information still not settled my claim. I have returned 4 claims forms all recorded delivery at huge cost (which they have sent me) now to be told have not returned correct form! The escalation manager would not take our call after holding for 52 mins on international call yet again today. Shame on you AIG in dragging this matter out. My sister filled in same form and her cheque arrived!!!! Please post if anyone can suggest how to make formal complaint against this dreadful company. I should have time to grieve not spend endless hours and at considerable cost on what should be a straightforward process.

Original review: June 12, 2019

I have been paying quarterly for almost 30 years. Insurance for my now adult kids. I got a payment returned to me this month. I contact the company and they tell me that I hadn't made a payment since November 2018. I send them proof of payment all the way through March 2019, that they kept by the way. I never received an email, letter or call concerning this. They canceled without any notice at all. Now I have to fill in paperwork to reinstate something that should not have been canceled at all.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I have had lots of trouble with AIG reimbursing home health expenses. I was out of pocket $5,000 and they kept asking for POA, dates of nursing home admission, etc. all of which they already had. There are too many people that don’t know what they are doing and tell you it will be resolved within a week, which never happens. I finally resorted to threatening legal action and that seemed to work as I got partial payment within a week. My advice to anyone is not to buy LTC insurance... Set up your own private savings account and let it accumulate for this purpose. I have $1 million tied up with them and I know I’ll never get it back. It is a rip off.

American General author review by Neal Frankle

American General was founded in 1850. They do business with 13 million customers worldwide and offer a wide range of insurance products and annuities.

• Competitive: American General is often very competitive.

• Online tools: The website has a very helpful interface for customers.

• Ratings: American General has received high scores from many rating agencies.

• Parent company: AIG, which was bailed out by the U.S. government, is their parent company. AIG made risky investments that few people understood, and were at the very center of the 2008 financial crisis.

by Neal Frankle Life Insurance Contributing Editor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.

American General Life Insurance Company Information