2. Finance

Find Life Insurance Companies partners near you

About American General Life Insurance

Find Life Insurance Companies partners near you

American General Life Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American General Life Insurance?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about American General?

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

My grandmother recently passed. She had a policy with this company since 1996 and apparently it was only for $3000.00. What gets me is my grandmother paired 91.00 a month since 1996 for what? $3000.00. I’m so at a loss that a company used my grandmother and didn’t help her in anyway. The funeral cost are way more than what they paid my mother. It makes me sick to know there are probably more senior citizens out there that could be taken advantage of.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

My grandma had a policy through AIG. They tell you what to send and several weeks later say they never received it. They reference information they could only have if they got the original forms though. Customer service is ready to argue with you about everything. Death claims shouldn't be this complicated especially with a will! I've submitted the will and administrator of estate letter. Even after also sending a notarized heirship affidavit at their request (will and administrator document was not sufficient). Now they want me to send the funeral bills and I'm at a loss as to why they need it. It seems to me they will keep asking for documents so they don't have to pay the claim. I cannot with a good conscience tell anyone to purchase a policy with such a disorganized and deceitful company.

Get buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 22, 2021

If I could give this company a zero rating, I would happily do so. My mom had a life insurance policy with another company which was bought out by American General (AIG) in the early 2000s. Sadly, my mom died last year. I contacted AIG about the claim process; they said they would send paperwork which I never received. I had to contact them again a month later to get the paperwork. As secondary beneficiaries, each of my siblings and I had to fill out forms, which I mailed in one large envelope, along with my mom's original policy and her and my dad's death certificates (my dad had been the primary beneficiary, but he predeceased my mom). Each of us kids got mail from AIG last week indicating that AIG had never received the claim paperwork. This is an outright lie because AIG could not have sent out these letters to us if they did not have our mailing addresses, which we had to provide on the paperwork we sent to AIG in the first place.

I talked to a representative who said that AIG never got the death certificates, which is also a lie because I included them in the paperwork I sent them. I'll have to resend the death certificates, which in my state are $25 apiece. I'll include a self-addressed, stamped envelope in the probably vain hope that they'll return the certificates. Meanwhile, AIG has personal information about my siblings and me, including our Social Security numbers, our mailing addresses, and even our bank account information. We had to provide all of this as part of the claim process. If AIG is so careless with my parents' death certificates, what guarantee do I have that the personal information my siblings and I sent them is safe?

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

After being awarded both life insurance policies in a divorce, I have been trying for 2 years to get it changed. First they mailed the wrong form, then they lost the change of ownership form. They requested supporting documentation which I promptly sent. I was then told they lost several of the pages. This has been an absolute nightmare, and the policy has still not been changed. Customer service is totally not helpful and basically puts the blame on the customer. I would never use this company for ANYTHING!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2020

After reading numerous reviews, I was very worried after my Mother passed and her life insurance was with AIG that she paid into for 40 years. A lot of the reviews were so awful. I felt I needed to leave this review because my experience was much different. My mother passed in late September and I called AIG and filed a claim. I assigned the policy over to the funeral home so all of their expenses would be covered and I would receive the remainder. The representative I spoke to was so nice and within a few days I received all the paperwork. I overnighted everything to the funeral home to send in with their paperwork. In two days they contacted the funeral home and said they did not notarize their paperwork and needed to resubmit it. The funeral home and I did what needed to be done and faxed it.

A few days later I called AIG and again the representative was very nice and helpful. She said, all the paperwork looked good and it would process and be paid within 7-10 days. It was 7 days when my balance after the funeral home payment was automatically deposited into my bank account. I feel foolish for worrying so badly about this because the process was simple, the representatives were all amazing, and I received the payment quickly. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about AIG and I think they were nothing but professional. I hope someone who is filing a death claim can read my review and feel some peace knowing it will go through smoothly!

Original review: July 8, 2020

We had the policy since 1994 and they made us sign for direct debit from our bank account. We did not change our bank since then. When the policy reached the term, they increased premium and continued to debit my bank account without informing us. However, we changed address, but, our email address was the same and we did not get any notification via our email, even though they had it on their file. After 6 months of them deducting $1300/month, we contacted them and inquired about it. We told them that we did not agree to continue the policy after it reach the term, but they said we have to inform them.

So, told them to terminate it immediately and 4 weeks later, they went back and requested the debit from the bank. Thank God, I have already blocked their payments with the bank, so they can't continue with this scam. The worse company ever and we keep writing to them letters after letters and emails after emails and waiting to cancel it. On my online account, it still shows as it is active. They are taking advantage of people who were their customers for more than 20 years and that clearly shows that they are not at all trustworthy.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

This is an awful company. I had paid my monthly premiums for 19 years. It has come to a point where insurance will increase ridiculously. I have tried to cancel policy since October of 2019. I was told policy was canceled last month and that I would receive a reimbursement. Well, policy wasn't cancelled, I got charged this month and apparently in about 15 days my bank will be deducted for 15 times what I was paying. This is ridiculous. Do not get involved with this company.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

One of the worst company to deal with. I pay my life insurance policy in 6 months installments. December 2019 I made another 6 month advance payment. They cashed my check then sent me a letter stating, I had a lapse in my policy. They stated they were not accepting my 6 month premium in advance anymore and was returning my premium of $348 within 10 days. It is over a month and I haven't received the payment and they refuse to send me a month statement as requested.

I tried to login my account online and they locked the account. They have not cashed my January 2020 payment. I previous has a automatic debit from my account. They stop debiting the account and sent me a cancelation notice without any line of communication. The reason was they changed systems and did not advised the customers of the change. After threatening to file a complaint/lawsuit against this company they reinstated my policy. Be very cautious with this company.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

I have yet to experience a company equally as bad as American General insurance when it comes to customer service. I have called on three separate occasions trying to speak to a representative but all I get is "We apologize for the delay." Is American General so cheap that they cannot afford to hire sufficient representative to take care of customer needs?

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

AIG: Welcome to the Comcast of Life Insurance Companies. Great: Price. Not-so-great: Impossible to get anyone on the phone. They are always "experiencing higher than average call volumes." That is mathematically impossible unless you are continuously getting worse in staffing your call centers, or managing reps in providing effective service efficiently. When you finally do get someone on the phone, to help you with your internet password, or answer a question about your policy or payments, don't expect to be able to understand them. English-speaking ability is apparently not valued, even though the company name is American General Life Insurance, or also branded

Take a Life Insurance Quiz. Get matched with an Authorized Partner.

American General author review by Neal Frankle

American General was founded in 1850. They do business with 13 million customers worldwide and offer a wide range of insurance products and annuities.

• Competitive: American General is often very competitive.

• Online tools: The website has a very helpful interface for customers.

• Ratings: American General has received high scores from many rating agencies.

• Parent company: AIG, which was bailed out by the U.S. government, is their parent company. AIG made risky investments that few people understood, and were at the very center of the 2008 financial crisis.

by Neal Frankle Life Insurance Contributing Editor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.

American General Life Insurance Company Information