1.38/5
Based on 167 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

187 American General Life Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 12, 2018

We are simply trying to receive the small life insurance benefit after the death of my mother-in-law on a policy owned by my father-in-law, with which he is the policy owner and beneficiary. After sending in the claims paperwork and death certificate, and after they confirmed they received everything, someone in the Phillipines... YES, IN THE PHILIPPINES... is now saying my father-in-law now needs to send them proof that he is the beneficiary. He doesn't even know where his policy is, but wouldn't they have the policy he has been paying on for years??! Very unsettling and extremely unprofessional, bordering on FRAUD.

I would not recommend anybody purchasing an AIG life policy, as it seems they just sell them off to a 3rd party that looks to rip off the insured. Now it is getting to the point where we will be filing a complaint with the Insurance Commissioner. I would never do business with AIG. Another small policy with a reputable company was paid out in about 2 weeks! Taking advantage of the seniors, especially after the death of a spouse, is criminal.

Original review: April 6, 2018

In mid-February 2018, I submitted an insurance claim to the AIG Processing Department. I’ve made five phone calls since, to learn when I would get the check. Today, April 6, 2018, I am very frustrated with AIG’s lack of professionalism, and poor customer, handling my claim. I continue to hear, “I’m so sorry Mr ** for this situation.” I don’t want apologies. I want professional customer service. Folks, who use AIG, be prepared for a period of frustration, until, hopefully, AIG handles your issues.

Get expert buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

American General hired Alliance One Supervisor Joss. Alliance One is totally incompetent unable to give most basic whole life policy information. American General Life Ins, should get rid of AllianceOne. AllianceOne are completely incompetent, and have no basic information, they keep on sending me to American General, and AM General tells me they do not have my policy to answer any questions.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

My experience is exactly the same with this company. I will spare you the long read and move directly to my solution. I contacted my State Insurance Commissioner, who in turn, demanded action from AG. To date, I have received a response from AG. They have not yet responded to the Insurance Commissioner. That deadline has not expired. However, my response was one of attempted placation. They again had the gall to try to pacify me. This complaint is still in process though. When I received my response, I contacted the Commissioner's Office to express my disagreement and disappointment with the response I received. The agent was very reassuring and told me once their office receives the required response, it will be reviewed and a determination will be made as to whether or not AG acted in good faith and appropriately, or NOT.

I am optimistic as it is evident AG is trying to screw me out of the actual settlement amount due me. So, PLEASE, do not hesitate to contact your State Insurance Commissioner's Office. If enough of us complain against the disgustingly, unfair and unethical practices performed by this company, something WILL be done. If you are in Oklahoma, contact the Oklahoma Insurance Department, Consumer Assistance/Claims Division, (405) 521-2991 or (800) 522-0071. They have been EXTREMELY helpful to me. PLEASE, do not hesitate to take action against this company's practices and, hopefully, make right the wrong this company is attempting to distribute!!!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Trying to process a death claim on a 20+ year old life insurance policy. I called them and told them I was doing so. About a month ago. It took a while to get all 8 beneficiaries to sign individual forms as the company required. Since contacting the company they have sent confusing letters to all 8 beneficiaries stating they feel the insured may be deceased, but have not been notified as of yet! Then they contacted me and said the policy was an annuity! They even had the policy number correct.

I called them and corrected them to be sure the policy is actually life insurance. They were to call back and verify this within 24 hours, which they did via voicemail. However the voicemail did state it was an insurance policy as if they were telling me something I didn't know and left no status on the actual claim. So I called them and they don't have any record of a claim!!! Now worst of all I worked for them for 35 years and originally they were a good company with outstanding customer service. But since AIG took over they have really gone downhill. Every time I contacted them I not only spoke to different people but also different countries!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American General?

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

I started paying on a loan an American General Insurance in February 17th last year and the loan was for $1,144 and I've been paying on it and paying the interest $25 a month and I paid the interest up on it that was due last year. And so I have paid a total $300 on the loan and American General say I still owe $900 and 45 dollars on the loan. Now mind you is started out as a thousand now still at $945 for the loan that I pay over 300 some dollars for.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

My father passed away last year and my youngest brother had taking all the that father insurance policy that was on his remaining children and trying to cash in on. Also Anthony ** address is **. And brother also came to my address and stole my SS# out of my mailbox and then put it back in my mailbox and glued it back up. I also called American General Life Insurance company and they said that the policy was surrender on February 2, 2018. I Darlene ** didn't submit my policy and my phone number and address is still the same at ** and # **.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

My mother has been paying premiums for long term care through this company for over 17 years. Paid over $170,000 during these years. Now she is in need of these benefits and we have been given the runaround. Each time we call in we are given different information that they need. This policy has a 100 day waiting. We have been following direction. Released from acute hospital Dec 9, 2017 to skilled nursing. Released to 24/7 home care Dec 16. Got all this information to them. We were told they had all they needed. I called to check when benefits would start thinking 100 days from Dec 9, 2017 about mid March 2018. No. Told no benefits until May 3, 2018. 160 days. We were told then we needed to produce bills for the 24/7 care while living in her apartment. We produced that, now we are told we need all medical notes for the days from Dec16 2017 to present. Now why were we not told this the first time I called Dec 5, 2017?

Today we were also told they do not know when her 100 days would be met. They would decide at a later date. How can they run a company like this??? I can tell you, by not paying the clients benefits, they pass away and they keep all the premiums. My mother I am sure is not the only one going through this. They are keeping the insurance company open on the deaths of our loved ones who trusted this company they would follow through.

Also if you call in and get Vanessa, ask for her supervisor. Such a rude person to handle problems for people dealing with parents money and health problems. Threatened to hang up on me yesterday because I started crying and asking for an explanation as to why their clients can never speak to claims manager and why we are given different information each time we call in. So rude and patronizing. I did not appreciate her tone when I am worried about my Terminal mother and now thinking she will never get any of the benefits Norm Bill ** promised her when my dad passed in 2000.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

I have had a policy for over 10 years. This year when I mailed my premium on 11/28 I was told it was never received. I then mailed another premium on 1/5/18 and told on 1/12 and then again on 1/17 that neither payment had been received and my term life insurance policy was going to be cancelled. My ONLY choice at that time was to give them payment over the phone. Reluctantly I did so. Then on 1/23/18 they CASHED the check dated 1/5/18!! When I called, the first customer service representative hung up on me after stating it was MY fault the check was lost. The second representative was very professional, apologized and requested refund. NO WAY it is a coincidence that TWO checks went missing. There is an issue!!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I put my daughter in American General Life Insurance, they reduced it from 25,000.00 to 3,450.00 because I will not let them take the payment 22.56 a month out of my bank account. Then I was told I would have to pay 28.00 if I do not let them. My bank pay them every month. This is called extortion and that is a crime.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

Staff is very rude, does not listen to customer before attempting to give an answer, which is incorrect most of the time. Sending forms to be filled out, and are the wrong forms. Does not understand questions being asked, this includes the supervisor too. When I'm telling them that I have accident and critical care insurance, the staff wants to debate about what type of insurance I have; each time I call, I have my policy in front of me, because I know that I'm going to have to read my policy to the staff person.

They really need to be educated on how to pull up the customer information before blurting out incorrect information. And once you get it through their head, then they want to put you on hold to see what type of policy you have. Someone in upper management really needs to review the recordings to see just how incompetent the staff really is, this is why the company is getting the poor reviews. And this is how you loss customers. This review is for American General Life Insurance.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Over 10 years ago my agent Kathleen ** spoke with my wife and myself requiring my policy. At that time it was valued at 1/2 million dollars. She gave us options to review and she was to come back. I never heard from her again. I've called her office, I sent Fax and wrote letters to her and their company. The first letter I received from AIG stated there was no policy. After I sent the policy number I received a letter stating they are trying to resolve the problem and they would sent me a letter in 10 days. That was in October. 10 years is a long time to wait for a cash surrender. I also requested to speak with my agent and was informed that the Greensburg office was close and they has no idea where she was transferred to.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

We have been trying to get a Power-of-Attorney form in place for OVER SIX (6) MONTHS! The customer service department is refusing to comply. They refuse to give us a phone number or mailing address to their legal department to submit a formal complaint to. They want us to keep submitting to the customer service department that clearly has no clue what they are doing. Each time we contact them, they want something different. Client has Alzheimer's so every time we have to go back and request something new, it causes distress and anxiety. They wanted an INTERNAL affidavit of POA to go along with his Ohio POA. So we submitted it. (He was a resident of Ohio, then moved to assisted living in Florida near his children.) Once the affidavit was submitted, they decided they wanted a NEW, POA form with Florida witnesses.

So once again, we go through the stress of getting a new POA. Well guess what, now they are saying they want yet ANOTHER affidavit AND claiming the POA is still signed in Ohio when the signature page CLEARLY shows Florida notary and witnesses. This company is the worst I have ever dealt with in my 20+ years. Constantly on hold, constantly being transferred, and every single person we have talked to has told us something completely different. All of this to get an address change in place because they are mailing RMD checks to the wrong address... and wrong STATE! Talk about identity theft exposure here? Every time I have to call this company my blood pressure rises to stroke level.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I am disgusted with this insurance company. We got it for my husband during a period of time when he was uninsured. They set it up to make automatic withdrawals from our bank account, and when he became insured they made it almost impossible to cancel our plan. When we called they claimed they could not confirm or deny he had coverage with them. During the time he had it he did have to go to ER and get stitches after cutting his hand. Exactly what emergency health insurance is for... they sent me this ridiculous PDF that I had to print, then bring to emergency room, and try to get the doctor that saw him to fill it out and send it to them. They make it almost impossible to actually use their coverage. Of course the doctor never filled out the form. We called the ER many times asking the status on it and eventually got a letter in the mail from a collection agency, messing up my husband’s credit.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

Policy purchased in 1976. AIG states policy was changed from term life to deferred annuity in 1988. Policy was signed in Ohio and it's not my signature. In 2005 we requested a change from term to whole life with the balance as a surrender cash. In 2007 and 2008 we were in contact with our agent Kathleen **. We never heard from her again. I've been trying to get satisfaction from AIG from over 10 years. They just keep finding ways not to surrender my policy. I would not recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

I have had life insurance with this company since 1993. Like other reviewers my premiums continue to wrongly increase and like others for the past two years. I have made $175 payments each month more than my premium starting at $50 then $75 then $90 then $115 then $160 which my policy shows it was to NEVER increase. Now again they've increased it to $185 and have tried to cancel me twice, even though I have never been late with a premium payment. They finally sent me this week 08/14/17 a history of payment for the past two years wrongly showing my payments have continually posted as $115/month when I've sent payments of $160/month for this time period.

CUSTOMER SERVICE IS ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS!!! A HUGE JOKE, and a GOD AWFUL WASTE OF MY VALUABLE TIME. How can we get a Class Action Lawsuit going against these scammers? I'm in if anyone wants to start one or a petition. 71 is too old to be dealing with this. After being a valued customer for some 24 years and they've used up my cash value the same as stolen it... As of 2005 I had $4,486.00 cash value, now 2017 it's $3. Where it went and used for what??? WHO KNOWS? They are scammers and robbers. HOW CAN WE GET A LAWSUIT GOING?

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

Approximately 32 years ago I purchased two universal life policies. One on my husband the other on my son. I was led to believe these policies were taking the place of whole life. Also, I was led to believe they were retirement plans. I was not told the fact that even though my monthly premium billed would remain the same the real premium would increase. After discovering my husband's policy would end much sooner than told I tried paying extra each month. This extra money was so mishandled I was told my accounts were behind. I had to contact the Insurance Commissioner’s Office in the state of Alabama before they would correct the error and even then they only applied the money to premiums not to the cash value. The beginning of this year I noticed their statements indicated I was paying a month behind. I called the company and was spoken to very rudely. They would not offer any help.

I finally asked for a payment history. When the payment history arrived it showed my payments up to date. I called the company again and they refused to change even looking at their own records. I had to go to my bank and get records which they still would not accept. I again contacted the Insurance Commissioner’s Office. They finally admitted my payments were up to date but during this time in looking over their paperwork I discovered when my son who was 14 when I took out the policy turned 18 they made him a smoker and charged higher rates. I questioned this and they replied that unless forms are filled out when a child turns 18 they are considered a smoker. They lied and said forms were sent. I never received any forms. My son turns 47 this year so not only have I paid higher premiums but it has cost me interest through the years.

They refuse to do anything other than change the policy to non smoker now if I filled out forms. If anyone has taken out insurance on a child please check your premium because they will take advantage of you without you know. This company has caused me nothing but heartache. We discovered 13 years ago my husband has congestive heart failure, he has a mechanical valve and a CRT for his heart. Also 6 years ago he had a stroke so now after paying for over 30 years on his policy I will end up with no insurance if he dies before me. I would never tell anyone to buy insurance from this company. Please be warned! Look at your policies and know what you are paying for.

Original review: July 15, 2017

My 94 year old mother is in an assisted living facility, with fees of $4900.00 a month. I am her POA. These funds are needed to pay for her care in that facility. I called them about the process to obtain these funds on June 14, 2017. American General then faxed me a form called "Affadavit to Affirm POA." I was told their "legal department" would decide, upon receiving the required information, in 7-15 business days about receiving these funds. This form was notarized, and the form and POA papers were faxed June 19, and June 20, 2017 (one sheet was omitted and had to be sent on June 20).

I called them again 6-28-17 and was told the information was not yet "acknowledged" by their legal department. Called again 6-30-17 and was then told not yet acknowledged, and when (if) it was, it would be mailed to my mother's address, even though I have had all her mail formally changed at USPS to come to my home address, as I handle all of her correspondence, bills, etc. The woman I spoke to on 6-30 was difficult to understand, and only stated "I' sorry," numerous times.

Called again 7-12-17 to check status and was told that I would now need a "withdrawal" form to be signed and notarized. This form was notarized and faxed to American General 7-13-17. I have been in communication with this organization for one month, and do not appear to be any nearer in obtaining these funds. The individual I spoke to on 7-12 asked me to call back the end of the month to check the status. I am amazed at the poor customer support from this group. Can you help? These funds are needed NOW. Thank you for your time.

Original review: June 14, 2017

I called with policy number to get some information and was told the account was closed and they could not help me. I asked to speak with someone who could and he sarcastically asked me who I would like to speak to. Frustrated and getting nowhere I said "thank you" and hung up. I still do not have the answers to my question. The English was fine but the accent made it hard to communicate. I really don't think that was the problem but maybe my questions were not worded with the correct terminology to get the answers I was trying to obtain.

Original review: May 23, 2017

My husband and I have had life insurance policies with General Life Insurance from AIG for some 20 years. Occasionally, we have been late with a payment because we have both been out of town working. We ALWAYS paid the bill immediately upon our return and there were never any problems with that. The same happened in October of 2016 and, again, we paid the bill when we returned. Only this time, the payment was never booked (or something) and from that point on there has been nothing but trouble. We continued to pay the usual amount (which they were happy to take) but kept telling us the account was in arrears. Even when our bank called and confirmed to them that the payment was made, they didn't let up.

After months of telephoning and talking to a different agent every time, SOMEONE finally told me that they were holding $658 that we had paid into the account (duh) and as soon as I filled out a REINSTATEMENT HEALTH REPORT (!!!) I would be reinstated. I found this very strange. They can't get their bookkeeping straight and I have to fill out a health document? But, to get this out of my hair, I filled it out. I receive a letter last week telling me that I would be reinstated once I have remitted $822.50 by May 29th. WHAT??? No explanation of how they arrived at that figure, just pay it. I wish I knew how to get through to the CEO. I'd read him the riot act! Any ideas from any of the posters here? If you are reading this and contemplating a policy with AIG, DON'T DO IT! They just want to bleed you.

Original review: May 17, 2017

I have been with the company since about 1969 (48 years). I started with a family plan and then changed to a plan of my own. They referred a universal plan which I got and they told me the premiums would never change. My $100,000 policy was $50/month. I have paid that all these years and now I receive a letter that states my cash value is not sufficient to meet the current monthly deductions and coverage will terminate 06-11-17. I called and was told that my premiums are now $173.48/month and along with my direct payment of $50 from my bank account they have been taking the remainder from my cash value.

This is the first I have heard about this! There was no communication found in their system stating they had contacted me and they don't show ever having sent statements. So what now? I am at retirement age and can't afford such a high premium. I thought all this time that when my kids needed it the money would be there. How can a so called reputable company like this one get away with these things??

Original review: May 4, 2017

My family member traveled to the Philippines. He stated on his Facebook page that he was hurt on the airplane. He was taken from the airport to the hospital by his friends, where he later died. Oh My... AIG said he died of "Natural Causes" and had he not die from his injuries on the airplane, they would have paid out. There are several mistakes on the death certificate, including no time of death and no doctor's address. The doctor who is also the Medical Examiner said he died of a heart attack. But he was take to doctor because he banged his knees on the airplane. I'm trying to get the autopsy report. Read the fine print. He had to die as a result of an accident. Right now we are just writing back and forth. I am dealing with a foreign country, a language barrier and an insurance company.

Original review: May 1, 2017

I've been paying life insurance premiums to AIG for 35+ years. When the agent sold me the policy we were told it was a $50,000.00 Whole life policy with a fixed rate of $48.50 per month. We received a letter mailed on April 20, 2017 telling us that our policy coverage would be terminated within the next twelve months if we didn't increase our premiums.

I called AIG this morning and was told our policy was a "Universal Life " not Whole life and that our premium rate was flexible not fixed. The lady that was helping couldn't tell me what the new premiums would be so she forwarded my issue to the accounting office for a new quote. I'm supposed to be contacted by accounting within 40 to 72 hrs. No offense to the lady helping me, she did her best, but I don't consider 40 to 72 hrs timely response from Accounting. I just made my 71st birthday so I can only imagine what the quote will be. I've already paid in around $20,000 in premiums. Has anyone had or is having similar issues???

Original review: April 7, 2017

This company is a scammer. I cashed in two policies and they continue to deduct money out of my account. I called them and they would not help me giving me the excuse because I no longer had insurance with them and no policy number. They could not help me. BUYER BEWARE!!! TAKE YOUR MONEY AND RUN!!! I now have to go to the bank and go through an extended process to get this stopped.

Original review: April 1, 2017

I was a long time customer of American General Life Insurance. The company left our small community. I had trouble getting any service. You had to call New York to get any help. I needed financial help from the company. I was told that I had to 100 years old before I could receive any benefits from my policy. I got limited amount from policies which I had been paying on for a long period of time. I am waiting to get some money back from the one policy. I am extremely unhappy at this moment in time.

Original review: March 30, 2017

My dad has purchased long term care insurance from this company years and years ago to make sure the burden of payment for care providers would not be on his children. Now we are fighting with this insurance company to pay out one cent. This has been going on for at least 1/2 year. We have faxed them reams and reams of information. Every time they keep requesting more. It is a ploy to not pay a cent. We have had to pay the providers ourselves, still fighting with AIG. The frustration level of dealing with this company is over the edge. Do NOT buy insurance from them.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

Beyond Poor Service I received from American General Insurance Company/AIG. My Mother Passed July 15, 2016. I was told two of her policies was sent to the Ga Unclaimed funds. She was alive paying policy payments to her agent at the time the money was Sent. No one notified her about her fund. Now the State has been slow and difficult to get my mother's money. Now the State is requesting American General to send them the Beneficiaries on the money that was sent to the State. I asked AGI to please fax the information. They said they would have to call me back??? With computer in their face and with my; claim # ** they would Not resolve my problem.

To this date no one from has tried to call me back. I keep calling AIG with the same excuse someone will call me back. Note they have closed all local offices. I cannot go in to resolve my problem. I do believe they have in my opinion Stole my mother funds. I would not refer them to insure anyone on Earth. Buyer Please Beware!!! Somebody help me Please!!!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2017

I received a letter from AIG 11/2016 stating that my son policy was canceled and I could pay $300.00 dollars to reinstate. I called the 800 number and was told to send in proof of payment. I mailed in copies of my bank statement for the last six months which shows AIG received payment. Today I received another statement saying the same thing! I would like AIG to give me an explanation about the payments they have been given and what happened. Why am I having a hard time trying to get answers from this company. What can I do? I have been with this company since 2005. Please help! I call this AIG at least every two weeks and AIG tells me that they are looking into the situation.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2017

I been with American General over 20 years, payment was 38.00 then 69.90 and I got letter it will be going up to 116.45. I am 68 yr old on fix income and now they're making it that I have to choose between food, meds, roof over my head or insurance to be buried. What do seniors do? All the money that I have paid them, it just not right. I don't know what to do.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2017

I paid my life insurance on three different accounts before the due date. Got a letter it was not paid. I call, get a very rude guy that I try to ask questions. He basically tells me to find another insurance company. No he does tell me to find another company because I asked to speak to a agent. I've had this insurance since 1998 and never had anyone to be so rude in any company. I am not happy with not being able to talk to someone when I have questions.

American General expert review by Neal Frankle

American General was founded in 1850. They do business with 13 million customers worldwide. They offer a wide range of insurance products and annuities.

• Competitive: American General is often very competitive.

• Online tools: The website has a very helpful interface for customers.

• Ratings: American General has received high scores from many rating agencies.

• Parent company: AIG, which was bailed out by the U.S. government, is the parent company. They made risky investments that few people understood, and were at the very center of the 2008 financial crisis.

Profile picture of Neal Frankle
Neal Frankle

Life Insurance Contributing Editor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.

American General Life Insurance Company Information