Term Life Insurance Quotes

Protect your loved ones. Check rates against other carriers.

Compare Rates
  2. Finance
  3. Life Insurance

American General Life Insurance

American General Life Insurance
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.78/5

Term Life Insurance Quotes

Protect your loved ones. Check rates against other carriers.

Compare Rates

American General Life Insurance Reviews

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

One of the worst company to deal with. I pay my life insurance policy in 6 months installments. December 2019 I made another 6 month advance payment. They cashed my check then sent me a letter stating, I had a lapse in my policy. They stated they were not accepting my 6 month premium in advance anymore and was returning my premium of $348 within 10 days. It is over a month and I haven't received the payment and they refuse to send me a month statement as requested.

I tried to login my account online and they locked the account. They have not cashed my January 2020 payment. I previous has a automatic debit from my account. They stop debiting the account and sent me a cancelation notice without any line of communication. The reason was they changed systems and did not advised the customers of the change. After threatening to file a complaint/lawsuit against this company they reinstated my policy. Be very cautious with this company.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

I have yet to experience a company equally as bad as American General insurance when it comes to customer service. I have called on three separate occasions trying to speak to a representative but all I get is "We apologize for the delay." Is American General so cheap that they cannot afford to hire sufficient representative to take care of customer needs?

Get expert buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

AIG: Welcome to the Comcast of Life Insurance Companies. Great: Price. Not-so-great: Impossible to get anyone on the phone. They are always "experiencing higher than average call volumes." That is mathematically impossible unless you are continuously getting worse in staffing your call centers, or managing reps in providing effective service efficiently. When you finally do get someone on the phone, to help you with your internet password, or answer a question about your policy or payments, don't expect to be able to understand them. English-speaking ability is apparently not valued, even though the company name is American General Life Insurance, or also branded

Original review: Oct. 6, 2019

My mother had a life insurance policy that was to be split between my brother and myself. Mom passed away on July 1,2019. We filled out the necessary paperwork and sent it in for payment. My brother whose check was dated August 21, 2019 received his check on August 26, 2019. Not bad,but----I waited the 10 business days from August 21 as I was instructed to do by AGL, still no check. I called again Sept. 13, 2019 and was told that they would stop payment on the August 21, 2019 check and would issue another that should arrive in 5-10 business days. They verified they had correct mailing address, etc. Today is October 6, 2019 and still no check. I strongly recommend not getting policies with AGL.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

Long hold times and then poor help. The reps are obviously reading from notes and don’t know how to solve basic concerns. After supplying what was asked for multiple times for my claim, each time they would send a form letter after about 10 days saying the claim was incomplete with no description of what was needed. Then the whole process starts over... I’d quit if they didn’t owe us money. Maybe that’s what they are aiming for?!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American General?

Original review: July 19, 2019

My mother passed away in March 2019. After flying over for her funeral I am trying to sort out her affairs from the UK., and claiming on our policy. After approx 30 hrs on the phone to date being held on the line and being told conflicting information still not settled my claim. I have returned 4 claims forms all recorded delivery at huge cost (which they have sent me) now to be told have not returned correct form! The escalation manager would not take our call after holding for 52 mins on international call yet again today. Shame on you AIG in dragging this matter out. My sister filled in same form and her cheque arrived!!!! Please post if anyone can suggest how to make formal complaint against this dreadful company. I should have time to grieve not spend endless hours and at considerable cost on what should be a straightforward process.

Original review: June 12, 2019

I have been paying quarterly for almost 30 years. Insurance for my now adult kids. I got a payment returned to me this month. I contact the company and they tell me that I hadn't made a payment since November 2018. I send them proof of payment all the way through March 2019, that they kept by the way. I never received an email, letter or call concerning this. They canceled without any notice at all. Now I have to fill in paperwork to reinstate something that should not have been canceled at all.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I have had lots of trouble with AIG reimbursing home health expenses. I was out of pocket $5,000 and they kept asking for POA, dates of nursing home admission, etc. all of which they already had. There are too many people that don’t know what they are doing and tell you it will be resolved within a week, which never happens. I finally resorted to threatening legal action and that seemed to work as I got partial payment within a week. My advice to anyone is not to buy LTC insurance... Set up your own private savings account and let it accumulate for this purpose. I have $1 million tied up with them and I know I’ll never get it back. It is a rip off.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I am a mother of 6 children. I called to file a claim May 17, 2016 for the father of my children. I was told that I am no longer covered with that policy. I must say I had 5 other policies other than that one. The problem was that policy they refuse to pay is $300,000.00. The other's was for $75k, 50k, 50k, 25k, They stated my policy wasn't covered since 10/14/2014. I furnished them with receipts showing proof. For the pass 2 years they was receiving my money. May 13, 2016 Jeffrey was robbed & life was taken at his place of business case unsolved. They refuse to speak with you but immediately states you no longer have coverage. Somehow they're asking me for $1,500.00 for my other policies to get back into good standards OMG!!! This is scary for a company be so confident to screw over and still be in business.

This leads to many questions who is running this company and how for so long with the BALLS TO SCREW OVER SO MANY PEOPLE WITHOUT AN OUNCE OF COMPASSION??! I contact the Louisiana Insurance Commissioner. It's obvious in bed with them. The local office was located on N. Causeway Blvd. has been closed down right after being relocated & renovated. After spending thousands of dollars they suddenly was shut down. My agent who was relieve asked me to come with the company he soon to be working for. This office was unaware of this sudden release of job duties. I called my agent. He was not speaking. Then one day just told me I still had coverage information I already knew. They have this consumer division Ms. Sunny ** who never return your calls bogus just to buy time like they looking into it. Within 14 days you will receive a letter stating the same as before your policy has lapse.

I'm still currently going through American General refusing to pay off my claim. This is a horrible mental beakdown for any persons after losing a love one to endure this kind of treatment. All our stories are the same, when will something be done? Why as American citizens we have to go through such matters when the Government is focus on all the wrong things. The crimes are committed right here in the United States every second someone die and these insurance companies are getting away with nonpayment of claims. Here is what the attentions is needed to be focus on resolutions to families such as the ones who crying for help from this. I'm out of words when will this stop. We need help right here.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I took out a $250,000 accidental death or dismemberment policy 20 years and four months ago. I auto-paid every month for 270 months. Now I get a termination of policy letter saying "American General has decided to exit the group insurance marketplace." They've accepted well over $10,000 from me and yet now they are terminating my policy. I think I'll contact the Attorney General! They should offer a refund of premiums!

American General expert review by Neal Frankle

American General was founded in 1850. They do business with 13 million customers worldwide and offer a wide range of insurance products and annuities.

• Competitive: American General is often very competitive.

• Online tools: The website has a very helpful interface for customers.

• Ratings: American General has received high scores from many rating agencies.

• Parent company: AIG, which was bailed out by the U.S. government, is their parent company. AIG made risky investments that few people understood, and were at the very center of the 2008 financial crisis.

by Neal Frankle Life Insurance Contributing Editor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.

American General Life Insurance Company Information