American General Life Insurance

Compare Life Insurance

Research top Life Insurance recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I am getting in touch with you all because I have been with American General since 1999 but lately since they closed the local branches in my area, they seem to be misplacing all my payments on this account. I have other life insurances with them, so they closed my policy. I have sent copies of my payments. I feel that I am being treated unfairly, because I have been with this company too long and paid too much money to let my policy be closed. It seems as if they can not explain where my money has been going.

When I had a agent he would send me a card of how much I was to pay but since they let the agents go everything is being misplaced. Please will you all look into my situation and get this resolved. They also stated that I didn't open all my policy up at the same time that is also false. All my policies was purchased at the same time in 1999, but now they are saying it was gotten in 2008. That is not true. One of the agents told me to get in touch with Consumer Affairs to get this resolved before I speak to my attorney.

Unauthorized Monthly Draft and Policy Changes. I've been paying for my dad's monthly premium for $80 and never missed any payment since it was taken out automatically from our checking account. Then this month I received an 'overdrawn account' notice from the bank. There was an almost $1500.00 drafted from the acct. and came to find out it was American Gen Life Insurance who took this money out! Now my account is in negative balance and my other bills were not paid! Tried to call the Insurance company but I was on hold for an hour but still no person to talk to. I need my money back!!!

I have had my policy for 9+ years. Premiums are electronically paid on a monthly basis, so my payments have NEVER been late or missed. Because there has been an addition to our family I must make some changes to my beneficiaries, an address and telephone changed for my records. I had seen several American General Offices in town, but for some unknown reason, they have disappeared and trying to find a valid telephone number to contact the company has been horrible.

If I cannot contact someone today, I will file an official complaint with the New Mexico Attorney General. When loyal customers cannot contact your company, scamming customers is the first thought that comes to mind. FIX your problem. An order number?? Where on earth can I find it? It should automatically print out on the section.

My policy is up to date with each statement they have me behind by 2mos. They even sent me checks, apparently thinking I would cash them. After waiting on the phone for quite a while talking to them to no avail, I sent them back, with my next bill. They continue to send me statements that shows me 2mos. behind. What are they up to? It seems suspicious. I have to get in touch with someone. This is totally unacceptable.

Worst company ever. Automatically renews a term policy (that came to the end of the term) without permission or notification, quadrupling my rate. Now, despite repeated phone calls and repeated assurances that they have cancelled the policy, they continue to charge me every month. I can't get them to stop!!! If there's a hell, I hope there's a nice toasty spot reserved for the employees of AIG.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American General?

I have had a Universal-Fixed policy with American General since 1990 for Face Amount $100,000. On October 11, 2016 I received a letter indicating that my policy was now changed to a Flexible Premium Adjustable Life Policy for $50,000. I immediately went to the website to see if the Policy had changed. It had not, so I called the Customer Service Center. After a long wait I was finally able to speak with a person based in Manila. He had the same information contained in the letter. My account is up to date. However he could not explain why the policy had changed. I don't know the status of this company, but based on the other reviews they must have some financial difficulty. Please help!

I would give them a zero too if I could. Thinking American General? RUN AWAY!!! Disgusting customer service. Waited on hold for almost an hour to find out they no longer have local agents. They're sending the payment notices by mail from the corporate offices... to a 20 year old address! Then they tell me they have to have the insured call to have the address changed (and let them wait an hour?). We have two policies one for my wife and one for our stepson. My stepson hasn't had anything to do with this policy. My wife took it out to cover him and we've been paying on it for 26+ years. Can't sign up and use the AIG Eservice because their information is outdated/doesn't match. Sends me back to the 1-800 number to go back on hold... Arrgh!

No notices sent out about going online only. No verification of information before they do this. Somewhere in Nashville there's brilliant corporate executives who should lose their jobs for this poor service. Yet they're sitting happy in their offices. And it's not just me. Check out the other CA & Yelp reviews.

My daddy died 2 weeks ago. AGL told my mother that they had to do a manual search for his policy because it wasn't in their computer system. She had to file a formal request for them to search for it and send them copies of her bank statements showing where they were taking out the payments. She did just that, sending them 3 years worth of bank statements. Now they are telling her they can't find the policy and are refusing to pay for my daddy's cremation leaving my poor momma to pay for it on her limited income. I told her to get a lawyer and sue them. She is now trying to get her payments back so she can pay for his cremation. Do not do business with these people.

One star is not even good enough for them. Having same issues as other reviewers have written about. Do not do business with these people. I can promise you that you will regret it if you do. They are horrible to deal with. Have been waiting on a check for my mom (took them 2 months to get around to sending it) and after many phone calls, they finally sent, and it is almost half of what it is supposed to be. Now trying to find out why. Of course they are not returning phone calls. Always say they are going to call. You will be waiting for hell to freeze over!!!

They put me on hold for 45 min. on the 800-888-2452, and when they did answer could barely understand the person I was talking to. Tried contacting the offices in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Ft. Oglethorpe, and Ringgold, Georgia. Both numbers were disconnected, and each office had the same phone number 423-499-1583. I am ready to start a civil class action law suit to expose the conduct of this company before they take advantage of anyone else. They hold on to the money they owe me and make me go through a lot of double talk so they can draw the interest on it. I want to cash in my policy and be done with that corrupt company that it has turned into since it became American General Life instead of National Life, an accident insurance com.

I contacted AIG after my mother passed in April to submit a death claim... They held on to her claim until July and told me a check was mailed on July 19th... Of course I never received the check and when contacting them, they told me they would have to put in a request for another check and that would include a 12-15 day review period and as of August 30, I have not received a check or a response regarding the review period! I contacted the Attorney General's Office on August 23! This is outrageous and when you call them you are placed on hold only to speak with someone from the Philippines! I am so sick and tired of this and we need to create a "Class Action Lawsuit" against this company and I would love to start a petition! I have $127,000 and have not received a dime! AIG is holding my inheritance HOSTAGE!

If I could give this company a negative number review I would because a 1 is too generous. The reason for this review is for others to be aware. In May 2016 I called to cancel an Accident Insurance policy with American General Life Insurance (NEVER should have been started, but that is another story). Their representative advised they could not cancel without policy number.

I advised "I never received a policy, but I can give you my name, the credit card number you are charging, date of birth or my social security number." The representative advised only way to cancel was with policy number. I advised the representative that I would call and dispute with the credit card company, which I did that day. In early August the issue was resolved with credit card company and they credited May, June & July 2016 premiums. Now that is customer service!

On August 22 I received a letter dated August 15th from American General Life Insurance stating this is a "Notice of Payment Due" with my policy number, which previously they could not find by my name, date of birth, social security number or credit card number. I called the phone number listed on the notice, states number has been changed, called new number, Sat on hold for 22 minutes. American General Life Insurance representative stated policy is cancelled, but system automatically sends these notices out in case you want to continue coverage.

I stated "that is not what the letter says", and "I don't want to receive them." Representative stated she would send request to stop, but cannot guarantee because as she stated before they are system generated. I advised software does what people direct it to do. I advised if they don't stop I will contact Attorney General next. If anything I have learned a valuable lesson here. I will NEVER again sign up for ANYTHING over phone. The new scam is to get your credit card number first and explain the details later. PLEASE BEWARE! Thank you Consumer Affairs for being an advocate for the consumer!!

I first bought Life Insurance in 1986 at the age of 29. In 1990's I was convinced to buy also for my children which I did. So for 30 years I have had 3 policies with American General. I learned from a friend who is a Financial Planner that my policy was not sustainable at the current premium, so we began the process of trying to determine at what premium it WOULD be sustainable and good at the time of my death. It has been 2 YEARS I have been trying to get this question answered and to no avail. Even with the help of my friend - an Insurance Broker - we can't get answers to very simple questions. On the phone (after no less than 1 hour on hold each time I call) I have talked to at least 6 different people, all in the Philippines except one who was in Houston and actually disconnected our call and never called back.

I feel just sick as I read all the stories here about people trying to get claims processed, get clarity on coverage... just pathetic that they can take our money all these years and not be held accountable for the despicable way they treat their loyal customers. I'm so sorry to everyone who has endeavored to protect their families, buying insurance in good faith, only to be left emotionally depleted with no recourse - no sign of help or resolution - because of the greed of this organization. If I were an attorney I'd gather us all the broken people here and file a class action lawsuit!! Surely there are plenty grounds for retribution. Shame on you American General - for taking advantage of the aging population. For taking any opportunity to cancel policies. You got all your money upfront, and now when those who've paid their premiums for years can't even SPEAK to a representative or someone of authority to try and help sort out the issues!

Despicable! Unprofessional is too nice a term for a company who treats their decades loyal customers. Shame on you! I still haven't resolved my issues. Will get back on the phone when I can manage my patience and gain some tolerance for the poor people you've hired to answer your calls as you're just cowards and won't take the calls yourself. Good luck to all those looking to resolve problems with American General. PLEASE - all this thinking of actually spending money with American General or any of their affiliate companies... DON'T DO IT! Thank you for the opportunity to be heard ConsumerAffairs.

In the mid year of 2015 I starting a new health insurance which the costs were being drafted from my bank account on a monthly basis. This included health, dental, and vision. After reviewing my bank statement many months after I noticed American Insurance was also drafting $97.00 out also. I initially thought it was part of the health insurance that was purchased. I had concerns so I called and checked on it through my health insurance plus American Life. I found out that I was purchasing Accident Insurance. I never received a policy for this nor did I speak to an agent concerning this policy nor sign for it. I called and spoke to an agent which I waited over an hour or more to speak to a live agent. She said she would cancel the policy.

The next month again $97.00 was drafted out of my account. I called again and waited forever to speak to someone and was told before I could get a refund I would have to write a letter first. Then I wrote another letter asking for a full refund because I hadn't ever asked for this policy and knew this by speaking to the health insurance agent that I had coverage with at the time, plus speaking to American Life. I found out through questioning that an agent by the name of Daniel ** signed to have the policy generated. I have not ever spoke to this agent before in my life.

Even after the policy was generated there was never a policy sent to my residence nor did I sign an agreement to this policy. I never heard from American concerning the full refund. On August 2, 2016 I spoke with several agents concerning this. The last agent was Nersee which said that the letter asking for full refund was in file but for some reason was ignored. She said that she would give this for it to be reviewed for refund plus have someone talk to Daniel ** as the reasons he took in this matter. And that I should hear something within 48 hours from them or I should call back requesting status. It appears this is fraud and a crime in my book. Taking money out of a bank account for a policy that a person didn't request. Thank you for your time, I hope to hear something from one soon concerning this matter.

I obtain this policy 11/1990, which is 26 years ago. I have borrowed on this policy around $4000.00. I have been sending my payment in of $38.00 for insurance and $10.00 toward the loan. My insurance policy was cancelled and lapsed in May of 2016. I have not missed any payments. I was told to reinstate my policy that I need $118.00 and that my payment needed to increase to from $38.00 to $59.30. I have paid over $11,856.00 into this policy. I will be 65 this year. I do not believe this is correct. I am to invest into another whole life policy with the death benefit of $50,000. I am a former insurance agent so I have some basic knowledge. Please help me.

My husband and I have a cancer policy. Extreme dissatisfaction with customer service. If we were to come down with cancer, filing a claim with this company would kill us before the cancer. Am reporting to anyone I can in the State of Florida Attorney General's office. Have a suspicion something fraudulent is going on. No company could have this bad customer service and survive. You can sit for a hour and finally give up talking to a person, or in most cases get disconnected.

Have been trying to get this bank draft authorization taken care of and have called since Jun 29, 2016 about this. Nothing taken care of. Every time I have called they never get the fax that was sent. Yet I get an answer thru the fax that it was received. I have never talked to anyone so many times and still do not get it taken care of. I just worry because this amount is taken out from my credit union every month and I do not want my insurance policies that I have with American General to lapse, just because of your end. So dissatisfied with customer service and I will not recommend anyone to call them because of their bad service.

I have had a policy with this company since 1999. Since its closing of local agencies, I have had nothing but problems. I have never missed a payment. Well, upon its closing customers was given the option of sending payment in my check once they send you a coupon for payment or have it electronically withdrawn from your bank. Glad I didn't do that!!! When they fail to send the coupon, I had to call the 800 number three days in a row, because no one would answer the phone.

When I finally reached someone, I was informed one of my policies was past due. I was furious and told whoever the person was, they had the wrong person because payment had been sent in. Well, I went ahead and sent in the months of April and May as the ones supposedly overdue. I turned around and sent payment for June. Now I am being told June payment have not been received but, the check has been cashed. I have contacted the Alabama Insurance commissioner but it seems as though he is leaving it up to me even though evidence was presented. I am frustrated and tired. What can I do before I take legal actions?

I have been trying to contact American General Life Insurance {AIG} for weeks and have stayed on the telephone line for hours and never got a response. I finally reached the agent and she told me not to call the company but to call her. My policy is for $15,000 but when I finally got a recording and put in the policy number it didn't exist. The recording said the policy was $977.32. Please help me.

My late father took out his policy in 1963 and paid every month since. Now after his death we are having to jump through more hoops than any grieving family should ever have to. Even the funeral home has sent the requested information, twice. Constantly being told there is missing information that needs to be resent, even after it is done. Get Your act together. This stalling technique is unprofessional.

My experience was the same as everyone else's here: HORRIBLE. I called my Financial Advisor who said the company is in good shape and not to cancel the policy, as he felt certain it would be paid when the time came. He called the following phone number and stayed with me on the line: 800-247-8837 which is not intended for policyholders, however they transferred us and got the problem taken care of. The other phone number which they claim is for policyholders is 800-888-2452. It's still in the Philippines, but give it a try. Hope this helps!

We sent annual premium to American General Life in July 2015. In September, we were notified that payment not received, will need to reinstate. We checked with the bank, and the payment cleared to bank two weeks after payment was sent. We called AGL and they informed us that they moved offices and paperwork was lost in move. (Apparently they do not have digital files.) They would check and get back to us. I asked if wife is still insured, and the answer was yes. In April 2016, we get a check for annual premium back, saying it was insufficient to cover the policy. Impossible. That is our amount due! They say send check back and they will process reinstatement.

After many calls, on holds, and agents we have trouble understanding, we never get satisfactory answers. We then get a form to reinstate the policy. Only it is an application form for a new policy. We call local agent to see if he can help. He is great, does some calling and gets back to us with information that the form we sent will take a month to process. He surmises that we should get reinstated due to AGL error. Today, June 2016, we get letter, and returned check for premium amount, that we are denied new policy. My wife got policy 16 years ago. Funny how all this happened after her 65th birthday. It appears they are reducing their liabilities of people who are older. We cannot recommend this company for any of your needs.

My parents have an annuity account thru American General set up by Huntington Bank. In March, we requested a withdrawal form because they moved to assisted living and needed the funds. The account was to mature the first of April and we figured we would try to get all the paperwork ready ahead of time. Two requests and no withdrawal form was mailed. Finally in May, I went to the local branch of Huntington Bank and ask for them to get a faxed withdrawal form. They were very helpful and I finally got the form. On May 12th, we faxed the completed form along with the Power of Attorney papers. Two weeks later we received a letter saying we had to complete their internal POA papers before they could complete the withdrawal. On May 26th, the completed form and change of address was faxed back to American General. I was told once this was done the check would be in the mail in 5 to 7 days.

Now June 11th I received a letter that was sent to the old address dated June 1st saying they received the POA and would need written notification to discontinue the POA. Still no check. We have jumped thru all the hoops and they still have not released my parents' funds. My parents are 91 and 90 my father just suffered a stroke and they need their money. Do NOT ever put investment funds in American General. They will take your money but not release it. They are TERRIBLE to work with.

My uncle took out a life insurance claim with American General Life Insurance September 13, 2013. He passed away on August 10, 2015. A month and 3 days prior to the contestable period. I am his niece and the beneficiary for this policy. I have complied with all the requests of the company. They have received medical information from all but 1 facility. They have been contacting the facility since December 2015 but to no avail. As of this date American General refuses to process the claim. Not only that but they have been discourteous and disorganized. You call customer claims and get information one day and next week you get a different response.

I feel my hands are tied and there is no end in sight. I am currently writing the CEO and other representatives of American General Insurance Company to try to get a resolution done. I understand policies and procedures but I have done due diligence in forwarding all required information to this company to get this claim settled. I would not want anyone to go through what my family has gone through since the death of my uncle.

I have tried for weeks to cancel my policy ago no avail - all the numbers reach a dead end and get disconnected.

I've been trying for weeks to get through to them to make a payment. Average wait times are 50 minutes and up. I WOULD NEVER SIGN A LIFE INSURANCE WITH A DYSFUNCTIONAL HAD I KNOWN THIS BEFORE. Buyers beware!

I have had a life insurance policy with American General Life Insurance Company for a long time, paying my premium yearly. This year being out of Country for 6 weeks, my premium notice came and was overlooked by my daughter paying my bills in my absence. When I returned I found the notice and paid immediately. American General sent me forms saying I was dropped due to nonpayment and to reinstate fill out forms and return. I did as asked and now have received notice of my being dropped and no longer have a policy with American General.

Thanks for the good years you paid but bend over and let us treat you the way we feel toward all of you as a customers. No understanding and/or quality which I will say does not exist at American General. Mind set is one more policy we do not have to honor. Take notice American General, beside holding on the telephone for over a hour numerous times with no response, I will suggest to all I know to not do business with you, your parent company and associates until I pass with no Life Insurance Policy thanks to you.

What the Heck is going on at American General? I called several times yesterday, to each and every phone number that I could find for AIG. Recording said you were receiving a high volume of calls. One of the times I held for 97 minutes before my call was dropped. Now today, I have started the process over again, and still can't get through. Is AIG out of Business, or are all Employees on Vacation?

I work for a funeral home in which part of my job is contacting life insurance companies to report a death to start a claim. This is done so that an assignment can be processed. I have a problem every time I try to contact American General. On 5/17/2016, I was on hold for 52 minutes and never got through. Today 5/18/2016, I have called three times and the phone drops my call after 8 minutes. It does not give me an option for the claims department. I have called 800-888-2452 & 800-521-2773 & 800-321-3655 and can't get through to any of the phone numbers listed as contacts. Was trying to find a email to send a message, but not available. Has American General gone out of business?

I've been on hold for over an hour. I want to cancel my coverage with American General. How can I trust a company who doesn't have good customer service? I'm not sorry, I'm disappointed. I need to cancel and they don't pick up. Ask yourself why is that...

Expert Review

Neal FrankleLife Insurance Contributing Editor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.    More about Neal→

American General was founded in 1850. They do business with 13 million customers worldwide. They offer a wide range of insurance products and annuities.

• Competitive: American General is often very competitive.
  • Online tools: The website has a very helpful interface for customers.
  • Ratings: American General has received high scores from many rating agencies.
  • Parent company: AIG, which was bailed out by the U.S. government, is the parent company. They made risky investments that few people understood, and were at the very center of the 2008 financial crisis.

Compare Life Insurance Companies