American General Life Insurance

Compare Life Insurance

Research top Life Insurance recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

My family member traveled to the Philippines. He stated on his Facebook page that he was hurt on the airplane. He was taken from the airport to the hospital by his friends, where he later died. Oh My... AIG said he died of "Natural Causes" and had he not die from his injuries on the airplane, they would have paid out. There are several mistakes on the death certificate, including no time of death and no doctor's address. The doctor who is also the Medical Examiner said he died of a heart attack. But he was take to doctor because he banged his knees on the airplane. I'm trying to get the autopsy report. Read the fine print. He had to die as a result of an accident. Right now we are just writing back and forth. I am dealing with a foreign country, a language barrier and an insurance company.

I've been paying life insurance premiums to AIG for 35+ years. When the agent sold me the policy we were told it was a $50,000.00 Whole life policy with a fixed rate of $48.50 per month. We received a letter mailed on April 20, 2017 telling us that our policy coverage would be terminated within the next twelve months if we didn't increase our premiums.

I called AIG this morning and was told our policy was a "Universal Life " not Whole life and that our premium rate was flexible not fixed. The lady that was helping couldn't tell me what the new premiums would be so she forwarded my issue to the accounting office for a new quote. I'm supposed to be contacted by accounting within 40 to 72 hrs. No offense to the lady helping me, she did her best, but I don't consider 40 to 72 hrs timely response from Accounting. I just made my 71st birthday so I can only imagine what the quote will be. I've already paid in around $20,000 in premiums. Has anyone had or is having similar issues???

This company is a scammer. I cashed in two policies and they continue to deduct money out of my account. I called them and they would not help me giving me the excuse because I no longer had insurance with them and no policy number. They could not help me. BUYER BEWARE!!! TAKE YOUR MONEY AND RUN!!! I now have to go to the bank and go through an extended process to get this stopped.

I was a long time customer of American General Life Insurance. The company left our small community. I had trouble getting any service. You had to call New York to get any help. I needed financial help from the company. I was told that I had to 100 years old before I could receive any benefits from my policy. I got limited amount from policies which I had been paying on for a long period of time. I am waiting to get some money back from the one policy. I am extremely unhappy at this moment in time.

My dad has purchased long term care insurance from this company years and years ago to make sure the burden of payment for care providers would not be on his children. Now we are fighting with this insurance company to pay out one cent. This has been going on for at least 1/2 year. We have faxed them reams and reams of information. Every time they keep requesting more. It is a ploy to not pay a cent. We have had to pay the providers ourselves, still fighting with AIG. The frustration level of dealing with this company is over the edge. Do NOT buy insurance from them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American General?

Beyond Poor Service I received from American General Insurance Company/AIG. My Mother Passed July 15, 2016. I was told two of her policies was sent to the Ga Unclaimed funds. She was alive paying policy payments to her agent at the time the money was Sent. No one notified her about her fund. Now the State has been slow and difficult to get my mother's money. Now the State is requesting American General to send them the Beneficiaries on the money that was sent to the State. I asked AGI to please fax the information. They said they would have to call me back??? With computer in their face and with my; claim # ** they would Not resolve my problem.

To this date no one from has tried to call me back. I keep calling AIG with the same excuse someone will call me back. Note they have closed all local offices. I cannot go in to resolve my problem. I do believe they have in my opinion Stole my mother funds. I would not refer them to insure anyone on Earth. Buyer Please Beware!!! Somebody help me Please!!!

I received a letter from AIG 11/2016 stating that my son policy was canceled and I could pay $300.00 dollars to reinstate. I called the 800 number and was told to send in proof of payment. I mailed in copies of my bank statement for the last six months which shows AIG received payment. Today I received another statement saying the same thing! I would like AIG to give me an explanation about the payments they have been given and what happened. Why am I having a hard time trying to get answers from this company. What can I do? I have been with this company since 2005. Please help! I call this AIG at least every two weeks and AIG tells me that they are looking into the situation.

I been with American General over 20 years, payment was 38.00 then 69.90 and I got letter it will be going up to 116.45. I am 68 yr old on fix income and now they're making it that I have to choose between food, meds, roof over my head or insurance to be buried. What do seniors do? All the money that I have paid them, it just not right. I don't know what to do.

I paid my life insurance on three different accounts before the due date. Got a letter it was not paid. I call, get a very rude guy that I try to ask questions. He basically tells me to find another insurance company. No he does tell me to find another company because I asked to speak to a agent. I've had this insurance since 1998 and never had anyone to be so rude in any company. I am not happy with not being able to talk to someone when I have questions.

On 6/24/16 my husband's life insurance was due. We pd $1,277.84 for a year. He passed on July 13, 2016. Do you think I should get 11 months of the premium back? They don't. They said no way. He had the policy since 1986. He was 76 years old.

She answered all my questions and helped me understand the benefits to my policy. I feel much better knowing where my money is going and how their policy is helping me. I would highly recommend this company. Rian deserves a customer assistance award for her hard work and knowledge and ability to explain the policies to her callers.

I was calling for someone who wants to buy a policy, but wants to speak to a PERSON in a LOCAL office in certain cities in Texas. I called several numbers from the websites, and was on hold so long on each line, I would go try another. All these numbers actually seem to direct to the New York number. Someone finally answered one of them and wanted a policy number etc, after I told them I simply wanted to be able to contact a local agent. She did not have that info, but would redirect me to AIG's general number. NOOO, don't, I don't want to hold again. She punched something, and that line was... BUSY. And then disconnected. I think she hung up on me. I have read the reviews on this page, and I think if their service is worse than speaking to someone, FINDING someone, perhaps we should search elsewhere.

I have a life insurance policy and an accidental insurance policy. Both are paid with one check and billed on the same billing. In October I received a check for $120.00 marked "Suspension" at the top. I called the customer service number, got India. After holding off and on for four hours I was told they would void the check and apply it to the Life policy. Next month I received a late notice and an email telling my that my account was valuable to them, pay or they would cancel. Called again to customer service, got India. There does not seem to be a single person living in the US that works for Customer Service. I have called every 800, 866, 888 number listed anywhere on their website and billing and each time I call I am told my account is up to date, no problem, I have overpaid the account.

Today I received an email telling me my account is important to them, but they will be canceling my insurance because I have not paid. It gets worse. The accidental is now "late", but the life insurance is current! Again, paid with one check on the same billing statement, but the accidental insurance is going to be canceled for not paying the bill. Worst company I have ever had to deal with.

I called to take a loan against my policy for Christmas. They told me NO PROBLEM! We can even do it next day for $20. I did this on Dec 14th. I called on the 18th. Sorry it takes up to 4 days to process the check. Really??? Because they didn't explain that to me. It Dec. 26th and still haven't received the check! I had to give my 3 boys an IOU for Christmas! Never trust them!

I have been a customer since 1995. My account is paid up to date. On or about November 15, 2016 I requested a loan from the accumulated cash value. I was informed after waiting over two weeks for the loan check that the name of the account holder is incorrect and that a name change was requested but could not be processed because they have yet to locate my file. With this account I used both maiden and married names. Note, the insured (me) has my name in the right order yet the account name does not. How is it they cannot locate my file yet will and has accepted a monthly payment on this account with an incorrect name? As told by customer service no one has responded to a request for an update from the department who handles where the files are located and the name change.

The request for an update was sent electronically and no one in customer service is able to verbally contact anyone in the handling department via telephone. How is it that customer service cannot communicate verbally within the company? Because of the poor customer service I received, I have cancelled the other policy in which I was the account holder and intend to do the same with this account once the loan request is processed. A company that values it customers/clients would provide thorough handling of services that it offers. This company has exhibited poor customer service with the handling of my request that remains unresolved.

After year of dealing with this company in my town of Meridian, Ms having two policies one in the 80's and the other in the Feb of 1990 at first everything was fine for years. After they closed the office here in our town it started sending out a worker who stayed in Newton County. I started receiving letters stated my insurance was going to lapse and I continue to send money and they wound even send me some money back, then continue to send more letters about my insurance lapsing. So now after all the stress of it I have just finally decided to cut my loss in cash in my two policies and it really is a loss, because once again they have messed me over.

I have had a policy whole life with American General for 50 years. In 2012 they told me because I had taken some money out that it would expire and I needed to take out a new policy. Well my husband just died and they did not take my premium out so when I inquired why I was told it was my husband's policy I was just a rider, I didn't even have insurance, but then he said I would need to do a new policy. At a much higher rate I am sure. How low down can you get? You know this is lower than low considering I have been insured here for over 50 years. And you can't even find an agent. Just have to make a call to some other far away place. Bad business all around. Sorry service completely. But geez. I sure bet the CEO has a lot of insurance, if he wants it or she. Considering their salary doubt if they need it. This company will not get a good word from me.

I am getting in touch with you all because I have been with American General since 1999 but lately since they closed the local branches in my area, they seem to be misplacing all my payments on this account. I have other life insurances with them, so they closed my policy. I have sent copies of my payments. I feel that I am being treated unfairly, because I have been with this company too long and paid too much money to let my policy be closed. It seems as if they can not explain where my money has been going.

When I had a agent he would send me a card of how much I was to pay but since they let the agents go everything is being misplaced. Please will you all look into my situation and get this resolved. They also stated that I didn't open all my policy up at the same time that is also false. All my policies was purchased at the same time in 1999, but now they are saying it was gotten in 2008. That is not true. One of the agents told me to get in touch with Consumer Affairs to get this resolved before I speak to my attorney.

Unauthorized Monthly Draft and Policy Changes. I've been paying for my dad's monthly premium for $80 and never missed any payment since it was taken out automatically from our checking account. Then this month I received an 'overdrawn account' notice from the bank. There was an almost $1500.00 drafted from the acct. and came to find out it was American Gen Life Insurance who took this money out! Now my account is in negative balance and my other bills were not paid! Tried to call the Insurance company but I was on hold for an hour but still no person to talk to. I need my money back!!!

I have had my policy for 9+ years. Premiums are electronically paid on a monthly basis, so my payments have NEVER been late or missed. Because there has been an addition to our family I must make some changes to my beneficiaries, an address and telephone changed for my records. I had seen several American General Offices in town, but for some unknown reason, they have disappeared and trying to find a valid telephone number to contact the company has been horrible.

If I cannot contact someone today, I will file an official complaint with the New Mexico Attorney General. When loyal customers cannot contact your company, scamming customers is the first thought that comes to mind. FIX your problem. An order number?? Where on earth can I find it? It should automatically print out on the section.

My policy is up to date with each statement they have me behind by 2mos. They even sent me checks, apparently thinking I would cash them. After waiting on the phone for quite a while talking to them to no avail, I sent them back, with my next bill. They continue to send me statements that shows me 2mos. behind. What are they up to? It seems suspicious. I have to get in touch with someone. This is totally unacceptable.

Worst company ever. Automatically renews a term policy (that came to the end of the term) without permission or notification, quadrupling my rate. Now, despite repeated phone calls and repeated assurances that they have cancelled the policy, they continue to charge me every month. I can't get them to stop!!! If there's a hell, I hope there's a nice toasty spot reserved for the employees of AIG.

I have had a Universal-Fixed policy with American General since 1990 for Face Amount $100,000. On October 11, 2016 I received a letter indicating that my policy was now changed to a Flexible Premium Adjustable Life Policy for $50,000. I immediately went to the website to see if the Policy had changed. It had not, so I called the Customer Service Center. After a long wait I was finally able to speak with a person based in Manila. He had the same information contained in the letter. My account is up to date. However he could not explain why the policy had changed. I don't know the status of this company, but based on the other reviews they must have some financial difficulty. Please help!

I would give them a zero too if I could. Thinking American General? RUN AWAY!!! Disgusting customer service. Waited on hold for almost an hour to find out they no longer have local agents. They're sending the payment notices by mail from the corporate offices... to a 20 year old address! Then they tell me they have to have the insured call to have the address changed (and let them wait an hour?). We have two policies one for my wife and one for our stepson. My stepson hasn't had anything to do with this policy. My wife took it out to cover him and we've been paying on it for 26+ years. Can't sign up and use the AIG Eservice because their information is outdated/doesn't match. Sends me back to the 1-800 number to go back on hold... Arrgh!

No notices sent out about going online only. No verification of information before they do this. Somewhere in Nashville there's brilliant corporate executives who should lose their jobs for this poor service. Yet they're sitting happy in their offices. And it's not just me. Check out the other CA & Yelp reviews.

My daddy died 2 weeks ago. AGL told my mother that they had to do a manual search for his policy because it wasn't in their computer system. She had to file a formal request for them to search for it and send them copies of her bank statements showing where they were taking out the payments. She did just that, sending them 3 years worth of bank statements. Now they are telling her they can't find the policy and are refusing to pay for my daddy's cremation leaving my poor momma to pay for it on her limited income. I told her to get a lawyer and sue them. She is now trying to get her payments back so she can pay for his cremation. Do not do business with these people.

One star is not even good enough for them. Having same issues as other reviewers have written about. Do not do business with these people. I can promise you that you will regret it if you do. They are horrible to deal with. Have been waiting on a check for my mom (took them 2 months to get around to sending it) and after many phone calls, they finally sent, and it is almost half of what it is supposed to be. Now trying to find out why. Of course they are not returning phone calls. Always say they are going to call. You will be waiting for hell to freeze over!!!

They put me on hold for 45 min. on the 800-888-2452, and when they did answer could barely understand the person I was talking to. Tried contacting the offices in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Ft. Oglethorpe, and Ringgold, Georgia. Both numbers were disconnected, and each office had the same phone number 423-499-1583. I am ready to start a civil class action law suit to expose the conduct of this company before they take advantage of anyone else. They hold on to the money they owe me and make me go through a lot of double talk so they can draw the interest on it. I want to cash in my policy and be done with that corrupt company that it has turned into since it became American General Life instead of National Life, an accident insurance com.

I contacted AIG after my mother passed in April to submit a death claim... They held on to her claim until July and told me a check was mailed on July 19th... Of course I never received the check and when contacting them, they told me they would have to put in a request for another check and that would include a 12-15 day review period and as of August 30, I have not received a check or a response regarding the review period! I contacted the Attorney General's Office on August 23! This is outrageous and when you call them you are placed on hold only to speak with someone from the Philippines! I am so sick and tired of this and we need to create a "Class Action Lawsuit" against this company and I would love to start a petition! I have $127,000 and have not received a dime! AIG is holding my inheritance HOSTAGE!

If I could give this company a negative number review I would because a 1 is too generous. The reason for this review is for others to be aware. In May 2016 I called to cancel an Accident Insurance policy with American General Life Insurance (NEVER should have been started, but that is another story). Their representative advised they could not cancel without policy number.

I advised "I never received a policy, but I can give you my name, the credit card number you are charging, date of birth or my social security number." The representative advised only way to cancel was with policy number. I advised the representative that I would call and dispute with the credit card company, which I did that day. In early August the issue was resolved with credit card company and they credited May, June & July 2016 premiums. Now that is customer service!

On August 22 I received a letter dated August 15th from American General Life Insurance stating this is a "Notice of Payment Due" with my policy number, which previously they could not find by my name, date of birth, social security number or credit card number. I called the phone number listed on the notice, states number has been changed, called new number, Sat on hold for 22 minutes. American General Life Insurance representative stated policy is cancelled, but system automatically sends these notices out in case you want to continue coverage.

I stated "that is not what the letter says", and "I don't want to receive them." Representative stated she would send request to stop, but cannot guarantee because as she stated before they are system generated. I advised software does what people direct it to do. I advised if they don't stop I will contact Attorney General next. If anything I have learned a valuable lesson here. I will NEVER again sign up for ANYTHING over phone. The new scam is to get your credit card number first and explain the details later. PLEASE BEWARE! Thank you Consumer Affairs for being an advocate for the consumer!!

I first bought Life Insurance in 1986 at the age of 29. In 1990's I was convinced to buy also for my children which I did. So for 30 years I have had 3 policies with American General. I learned from a friend who is a Financial Planner that my policy was not sustainable at the current premium, so we began the process of trying to determine at what premium it WOULD be sustainable and good at the time of my death. It has been 2 YEARS I have been trying to get this question answered and to no avail. Even with the help of my friend - an Insurance Broker - we can't get answers to very simple questions. On the phone (after no less than 1 hour on hold each time I call) I have talked to at least 6 different people, all in the Philippines except one who was in Houston and actually disconnected our call and never called back.

I feel just sick as I read all the stories here about people trying to get claims processed, get clarity on coverage... just pathetic that they can take our money all these years and not be held accountable for the despicable way they treat their loyal customers. I'm so sorry to everyone who has endeavored to protect their families, buying insurance in good faith, only to be left emotionally depleted with no recourse - no sign of help or resolution - because of the greed of this organization. If I were an attorney I'd gather us all the broken people here and file a class action lawsuit!! Surely there are plenty grounds for retribution. Shame on you American General - for taking advantage of the aging population. For taking any opportunity to cancel policies. You got all your money upfront, and now when those who've paid their premiums for years can't even SPEAK to a representative or someone of authority to try and help sort out the issues!

Despicable! Unprofessional is too nice a term for a company who treats their decades loyal customers. Shame on you! I still haven't resolved my issues. Will get back on the phone when I can manage my patience and gain some tolerance for the poor people you've hired to answer your calls as you're just cowards and won't take the calls yourself. Good luck to all those looking to resolve problems with American General. PLEASE - all this thinking of actually spending money with American General or any of their affiliate companies... DON'T DO IT! Thank you for the opportunity to be heard ConsumerAffairs.

Compare Life Insurance Companies