American General Life Insurance
1.36/5
Based on 177 reviews that contain star ratings

Looking for a life insurance company?

American General Life Insurance

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

197 American General Life Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I am a mother of 6 children. I called to file a claim May 17, 2016 for the father of my children. I was told that I am no longer covered with that policy. I must say I had 5 other policies other than that one. The problem was that policy they refuse to pay is $300,000.00. The other's was for $75k, 50k, 50k, 25k, They stated my policy wasn't covered since 10/14/2014. I furnished them with receipts showing proof. For the pass 2 years they was receiving my money. May 13, 2016 Jeffrey was robbed & life was taken at his place of business case unsolved. They refuse to speak with you but immediately states you no longer have coverage. Somehow they're asking me for $1,500.00 for my other policies to get back into good standards OMG!!! This is scary for a company be so confident to screw over and still be in business.

This leads to many questions who is running this company and how for so long with the BALLS TO SCREW OVER SO MANY PEOPLE WITHOUT AN OUNCE OF COMPASSION??! I contact the Louisiana Insurance Commissioner. It's obvious in bed with them. The local office was located on N. Causeway Blvd. has been closed down right after being relocated & renovated. After spending thousands of dollars they suddenly was shut down. My agent who was relieve asked me to come with the company he soon to be working for. This office was unaware of this sudden release of job duties. I called my agent. He was not speaking. Then one day just told me I still had coverage information I already knew. They have this consumer division Ms. Sunny ** who never return your calls bogus just to buy time like they looking into it. Within 14 days you will receive a letter stating the same as before your policy has lapse.

I'm still currently going through American General refusing to pay off my claim. This is a horrible mental beakdown for any persons after losing a love one to endure this kind of treatment. All our stories are the same, when will something be done? Why as American citizens we have to go through such matters when the Government is focus on all the wrong things. The crimes are committed right here in the United States every second someone die and these insurance companies are getting away with nonpayment of claims. Here is what the attentions is needed to be focus on resolutions to families such as the ones who crying for help from this. I'm out of words when will this stop. We need help right here.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I took out a $250,000 accidental death or dismemberment policy 20 years and four months ago. I auto-paid every month for 270 months. Now I get a termination of policy letter saying "American General has decided to exit the group insurance marketplace." They've accepted well over $10,000 from me and yet now they are terminating my policy. I think I'll contact the Attorney General! They should offer a refund of premiums!

Get expert buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

My mother passed recently. Her and my father had life insurance for 50 years. Their policies were bought out by AIG. Trying to contact and get these people to pay these very small insurance policies has been a nightmare!! I would not advise anyone to purchase any insurance from them!! Purchase from a local agent like State Farm etc...

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

6 years ago I was sold an accidental death policy by this company for $200,000. I used auto-pay, so this company has received their money on time for 72 months straight. I now have found out that at some point the policy was switched to a health policy that covered hospitalization only. This is not what I signed up for. In the beginning I filled out beneficiary forms, stating who would receive benefits in the event of my accidental death. Obviously I have not had a death claim, however, I am upset that the product I purchased and paid for faithfully for 6 years was switched to something else without my knowledge or consent to a product I neither needed or wanted.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

My 102 year old father has an annuity with American General. We attempted to change the address of the bank that the annual check was forwarded to. Customer service had absolutely no idea of what to do and shuffled me through multiple people with 30 minutes on hold. Finally talked to a supervisor who requested several types of documentation. We provided all the documentation promptly. We placed a follow up call 10 days after American General received the documentation to make sure the change of address had been processed. Again, extended hold times until we spoke to another supervisor who stated that the documentation had not been process but would be within 24 hours.

We called back 4 days later, spoke with another supervisor and was told that both prior supervisors were wrong and that another type of documentation must be provided. We provided this documentation within 8 hours and had to wait another 8 work days to get the change of address process - after being guaranteed that the change of address would be processed within 72 hours of receiving the second package of documentation. This people have absolutely no idea what they're doing. Nor do they care. I strongly recommend that you take your insurance needs elsewhere.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American General?

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

My original life insurance policy was created in 1994 with AIG Life Insurance Company. I have paid my Life Insurance since 1994, without EVER missing a payment. Apparently AIG Life Insurance Company merged with another company... when that happened is unclear. About the same time I am guessing as the merger, my electronic payments stopping going through (or so they say)... My policy was terminated in June 2018.

After receiving the termination letter, I called American General Life Insurance and they say they need proof from my bank of the 3 electronic payments were processed by my bank. They also told me my last electronic payment they received was Jan 2018... (this is important info to remember). I faxed them copies of my bank statement, showing all 3 electronic payments, made to AIG and processed by my bank and paid.

Today I called them because I received a letter from them stating I needed to "apply for re-instatement" of my policy... I sent them 3 payments to the same address as the January 2018 payment... but yet they say they know they received the money but can't find it. The person in the PHILIPPINES that I spoke to was very pleasant but when I asked to speak to his supervisor or manager, he said he was it, that there was no one else I could contact. I just cannot believe that they are trying to blow me off like this. I have been paying on a policy since 1994 that is now worthless. I have filed a complaint with the Virginia State Corporation Commission’s Bureau of Insurance to find out if they can have my policy re-instated and the extra payments refunded to me.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Updated on 12/06/2018: I purchased a Fixed Universal Life Policy over 20 years ago. I have been paying quarterly premiums since that time. I have an online account with the company, which, even though I use Automatic payments, I check regularly. I have kept my address, email, and banking information up to date. A few months ago, I noticed my quarterly premium was not deducted from my bank account. This is when the trouble began. I was advised that the company used all my cash reserve to keep premiums paid when they raised my premium with no notice to me. I began writing and calling, and no one could tell me how much my premium had increased. Just that it stated in my original policy (Over 20 year ago) that this could happen.

Although, the original insurance agent that sold me the policy told me my premiums remain the same throughout the life of my policy which is why I chose the company in the first place. However, he is long gone and numerous calls to my new agent have gone unanswered. After numerous calls, complaints, I am finally told that my premium has more than doubled, I am behind a sum of money, and if I wish to continue I need to raise my premium and pay the money. I asked why I was never notified, I received no response. I asked why the website was not updated to reflect this change, I was told they have no idea, and to this date, it has not been updated.

Fast forward to today, four months later, after I paid them all the money they asked for, paid the increased premium last quarter, etc. Once again, the recent quarterly premium was not deducted once again, they want more money... once again, no notice, and YES, once again, no one can tell me how much more they want. The website still shows that my quarterly premium is what it was over 20 years ago. I am now to the point where I have been waiting over three days for an answer.

I am fairly certain that this company is doing something that cannot be considered legal, and am fairly certain that there must be a number of people being scammed. I am a second away from walking away, canceling the policy and losing all the money I have put in over these 20+ years. Mainly because I am POSITIVE that my beneficiaries will never see a penny of this when the time comes because this company is definitely NOT ABOVE BOARD! My recommendation is to STAY AWAY!

Original Review: Had an issue with my policy premiums. Totally on them, as they never notified me that my premiums had increased and that they were taking all the money out of my cash value. Then they put a message in the document section of their website, instead of the message center and never notified me that the message was put there. If not for me going onto the website to update banking information. I would never have known that they were planning on terminating my policy. Started contacting customer service, first by phone.

The agent was arrogant and rude and did nothing to solve my issue. Then start using the message system on the website. Still no answers or assistance. At this very minute, after numerous phone calls and emails, my account still shows my old premium amount, I have not received an answer as to why they took my cash value without notifying me, and still have no answer as to why and when my premium essentially doubled. I will tell everyone: FIND A BETTER COMPANY!

Original review: July 19, 2018

My husband passed away on April 3, 2018, I filed a claim on his life insurance. They received the death certificate and claim paperwork on May 16, 2018. They told me it would take 10-14 business days to process once they had all the paperwork they needed. I called them after the 14 days and they said they didn't have his records from the hospital so I called the hospital and they gave me a number for them to call. I called the insurance company to give them the number and was told they received the paperwork the previous day.

So I again wait the 14 days and called them and was informed they still hadn't received anything from the hospital (they supposedly requested this information on May 16th but the hospital never had a record of any contact). So I proceeded to get the medical records and I faxed them to them on May 29, 2018. I again was told 10-14 business days, so I again wait the 14 days. When I called I was told that the claim was with the underwriters to be investigated so it will take even longer. When I asked why it took to do this all they would say was that I would have to wait longer. I will never purchase anything from this company again.

Original review: July 16, 2018

DO NOT BUY A POLICY FROM THIS COMPANY. I have been getting the runaround on a claim for 6 weeks. No agent or claims team to talk to, only a call center. A different rep each call whose info will contradict letters they send out. There is one reason after another as to why they will not process claim. For example, I have a letter stating they acknowledge receipt of an assignment for a specific policy, but tell me by phone they don't have the document. A insurance claim specialist at the funeral home is equally frustrated in lack of communication and confusion.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I called AIG on 7/11/2018 to inquire about a payment that I had scheduled on 6/30/2018 for 7/3 for my policy, needless to say the customer service rep proceeded to tell me there was no scheduled payment. I told her a printed a receipt for it and she totally ignored the fact. She sounded tired, totally detached, uncaring, rude, aggravated, and quite unpleasant to deal with. I ended making a phone payment with this person who should not be working at this position as she did not seem someone you would even like to have a conversation with!! This is not a company I would refer ANYONE TO.

Original review: May 12, 2018

We are simply trying to receive the small life insurance benefit after the death of my mother-in-law on a policy owned by my father-in-law, with which he is the policy owner and beneficiary. After sending in the claims paperwork and death certificate, and after they confirmed they received everything, someone in the Phillipines... YES, IN THE PHILIPPINES... is now saying my father-in-law now needs to send them proof that he is the beneficiary. He doesn't even know where his policy is, but wouldn't they have the policy he has been paying on for years??! Very unsettling and extremely unprofessional, bordering on FRAUD.

I would not recommend anybody purchasing an AIG life policy, as it seems they just sell them off to a 3rd party that looks to rip off the insured. Now it is getting to the point where we will be filing a complaint with the Insurance Commissioner. I would never do business with AIG. Another small policy with a reputable company was paid out in about 2 weeks! Taking advantage of the seniors, especially after the death of a spouse, is criminal.

Original review: April 6, 2018

In mid-February 2018, I submitted an insurance claim to the AIG Processing Department. I’ve made five phone calls since, to learn when I would get the check. Today, April 6, 2018, I am very frustrated with AIG’s lack of professionalism, and poor customer, handling my claim. I continue to hear, “I’m so sorry Mr ** for this situation.” I don’t want apologies. I want professional customer service. Folks, who use AIG, be prepared for a period of frustration, until, hopefully, AIG handles your issues.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

American General hired Alliance One Supervisor Joss. Alliance One is totally incompetent unable to give most basic whole life policy information. American General Life Ins, should get rid of AllianceOne. AllianceOne are completely incompetent, and have no basic information, they keep on sending me to American General, and AM General tells me they do not have my policy to answer any questions.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

My experience is exactly the same with this company. I will spare you the long read and move directly to my solution. I contacted my State Insurance Commissioner, who in turn, demanded action from AG. To date, I have received a response from AG. They have not yet responded to the Insurance Commissioner. That deadline has not expired. However, my response was one of attempted placation. They again had the gall to try to pacify me. This complaint is still in process though. When I received my response, I contacted the Commissioner's Office to express my disagreement and disappointment with the response I received. The agent was very reassuring and told me once their office receives the required response, it will be reviewed and a determination will be made as to whether or not AG acted in good faith and appropriately, or NOT.

I am optimistic as it is evident AG is trying to screw me out of the actual settlement amount due me. So, PLEASE, do not hesitate to contact your State Insurance Commissioner's Office. If enough of us complain against the disgustingly, unfair and unethical practices performed by this company, something WILL be done. If you are in Oklahoma, contact the Oklahoma Insurance Department, Consumer Assistance/Claims Division, (405) 521-2991 or (800) 522-0071. They have been EXTREMELY helpful to me. PLEASE, do not hesitate to take action against this company's practices and, hopefully, make right the wrong this company is attempting to distribute!!!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Trying to process a death claim on a 20+ year old life insurance policy. I called them and told them I was doing so. About a month ago. It took a while to get all 8 beneficiaries to sign individual forms as the company required. Since contacting the company they have sent confusing letters to all 8 beneficiaries stating they feel the insured may be deceased, but have not been notified as of yet! Then they contacted me and said the policy was an annuity! They even had the policy number correct.

I called them and corrected them to be sure the policy is actually life insurance. They were to call back and verify this within 24 hours, which they did via voicemail. However the voicemail did state it was an insurance policy as if they were telling me something I didn't know and left no status on the actual claim. So I called them and they don't have any record of a claim!!! Now worst of all I worked for them for 35 years and originally they were a good company with outstanding customer service. But since AIG took over they have really gone downhill. Every time I contacted them I not only spoke to different people but also different countries!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

I started paying on a loan an American General Insurance in February 17th last year and the loan was for $1,144 and I've been paying on it and paying the interest $25 a month and I paid the interest up on it that was due last year. And so I have paid a total $300 on the loan and American General say I still owe $900 and 45 dollars on the loan. Now mind you is started out as a thousand now still at $945 for the loan that I pay over 300 some dollars for.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

My father passed away last year and my youngest brother had taking all the that father insurance policy that was on his remaining children and trying to cash in on. Also Anthony ** address is **. And brother also came to my address and stole my SS# out of my mailbox and then put it back in my mailbox and glued it back up. I also called American General Life Insurance company and they said that the policy was surrender on February 2, 2018. I Darlene ** didn't submit my policy and my phone number and address is still the same at ** and # **.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

My mother has been paying premiums for long term care through this company for over 17 years. Paid over $170,000 during these years. Now she is in need of these benefits and we have been given the runaround. Each time we call in we are given different information that they need. This policy has a 100 day waiting. We have been following direction. Released from acute hospital Dec 9, 2017 to skilled nursing. Released to 24/7 home care Dec 16. Got all this information to them. We were told they had all they needed. I called to check when benefits would start thinking 100 days from Dec 9, 2017 about mid March 2018. No. Told no benefits until May 3, 2018. 160 days. We were told then we needed to produce bills for the 24/7 care while living in her apartment. We produced that, now we are told we need all medical notes for the days from Dec16 2017 to present. Now why were we not told this the first time I called Dec 5, 2017?

Today we were also told they do not know when her 100 days would be met. They would decide at a later date. How can they run a company like this??? I can tell you, by not paying the clients benefits, they pass away and they keep all the premiums. My mother I am sure is not the only one going through this. They are keeping the insurance company open on the deaths of our loved ones who trusted this company they would follow through.

Also if you call in and get Vanessa, ask for her supervisor. Such a rude person to handle problems for people dealing with parents money and health problems. Threatened to hang up on me yesterday because I started crying and asking for an explanation as to why their clients can never speak to claims manager and why we are given different information each time we call in. So rude and patronizing. I did not appreciate her tone when I am worried about my Terminal mother and now thinking she will never get any of the benefits Norm Bill ** promised her when my dad passed in 2000.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

I have had a policy for over 10 years. This year when I mailed my premium on 11/28 I was told it was never received. I then mailed another premium on 1/5/18 and told on 1/12 and then again on 1/17 that neither payment had been received and my term life insurance policy was going to be cancelled. My ONLY choice at that time was to give them payment over the phone. Reluctantly I did so. Then on 1/23/18 they CASHED the check dated 1/5/18!! When I called, the first customer service representative hung up on me after stating it was MY fault the check was lost. The second representative was very professional, apologized and requested refund. NO WAY it is a coincidence that TWO checks went missing. There is an issue!!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I put my daughter in American General Life Insurance, they reduced it from 25,000.00 to 3,450.00 because I will not let them take the payment 22.56 a month out of my bank account. Then I was told I would have to pay 28.00 if I do not let them. My bank pay them every month. This is called extortion and that is a crime.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

Staff is very rude, does not listen to customer before attempting to give an answer, which is incorrect most of the time. Sending forms to be filled out, and are the wrong forms. Does not understand questions being asked, this includes the supervisor too. When I'm telling them that I have accident and critical care insurance, the staff wants to debate about what type of insurance I have; each time I call, I have my policy in front of me, because I know that I'm going to have to read my policy to the staff person.

They really need to be educated on how to pull up the customer information before blurting out incorrect information. And once you get it through their head, then they want to put you on hold to see what type of policy you have. Someone in upper management really needs to review the recordings to see just how incompetent the staff really is, this is why the company is getting the poor reviews. And this is how you loss customers. This review is for American General Life Insurance.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Over 10 years ago my agent Kathleen ** spoke with my wife and myself requiring my policy. At that time it was valued at 1/2 million dollars. She gave us options to review and she was to come back. I never heard from her again. I've called her office, I sent Fax and wrote letters to her and their company. The first letter I received from AIG stated there was no policy. After I sent the policy number I received a letter stating they are trying to resolve the problem and they would sent me a letter in 10 days. That was in October. 10 years is a long time to wait for a cash surrender. I also requested to speak with my agent and was informed that the Greensburg office was close and they has no idea where she was transferred to.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

We have been trying to get a Power-of-Attorney form in place for OVER SIX (6) MONTHS! The customer service department is refusing to comply. They refuse to give us a phone number or mailing address to their legal department to submit a formal complaint to. They want us to keep submitting to the customer service department that clearly has no clue what they are doing. Each time we contact them, they want something different. Client has Alzheimer's so every time we have to go back and request something new, it causes distress and anxiety. They wanted an INTERNAL affidavit of POA to go along with his Ohio POA. So we submitted it. (He was a resident of Ohio, then moved to assisted living in Florida near his children.) Once the affidavit was submitted, they decided they wanted a NEW, POA form with Florida witnesses.

So once again, we go through the stress of getting a new POA. Well guess what, now they are saying they want yet ANOTHER affidavit AND claiming the POA is still signed in Ohio when the signature page CLEARLY shows Florida notary and witnesses. This company is the worst I have ever dealt with in my 20+ years. Constantly on hold, constantly being transferred, and every single person we have talked to has told us something completely different. All of this to get an address change in place because they are mailing RMD checks to the wrong address... and wrong STATE! Talk about identity theft exposure here? Every time I have to call this company my blood pressure rises to stroke level.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I am disgusted with this insurance company. We got it for my husband during a period of time when he was uninsured. They set it up to make automatic withdrawals from our bank account, and when he became insured they made it almost impossible to cancel our plan. When we called they claimed they could not confirm or deny he had coverage with them. During the time he had it he did have to go to ER and get stitches after cutting his hand. Exactly what emergency health insurance is for... they sent me this ridiculous PDF that I had to print, then bring to emergency room, and try to get the doctor that saw him to fill it out and send it to them. They make it almost impossible to actually use their coverage. Of course the doctor never filled out the form. We called the ER many times asking the status on it and eventually got a letter in the mail from a collection agency, messing up my husband’s credit.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

Policy purchased in 1976. AIG states policy was changed from term life to deferred annuity in 1988. Policy was signed in Ohio and it's not my signature. In 2005 we requested a change from term to whole life with the balance as a surrender cash. In 2007 and 2008 we were in contact with our agent Kathleen **. We never heard from her again. I've been trying to get satisfaction from AIG from over 10 years. They just keep finding ways not to surrender my policy. I would not recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

I have had life insurance with this company since 1993. Like other reviewers my premiums continue to wrongly increase and like others for the past two years. I have made $175 payments each month more than my premium starting at $50 then $75 then $90 then $115 then $160 which my policy shows it was to NEVER increase. Now again they've increased it to $185 and have tried to cancel me twice, even though I have never been late with a premium payment. They finally sent me this week 08/14/17 a history of payment for the past two years wrongly showing my payments have continually posted as $115/month when I've sent payments of $160/month for this time period.

CUSTOMER SERVICE IS ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS!!! A HUGE JOKE, and a GOD AWFUL WASTE OF MY VALUABLE TIME. How can we get a Class Action Lawsuit going against these scammers? I'm in if anyone wants to start one or a petition. 71 is too old to be dealing with this. After being a valued customer for some 24 years and they've used up my cash value the same as stolen it... As of 2005 I had $4,486.00 cash value, now 2017 it's $3. Where it went and used for what??? WHO KNOWS? They are scammers and robbers. HOW CAN WE GET A LAWSUIT GOING?

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

Approximately 32 years ago I purchased two universal life policies. One on my husband the other on my son. I was led to believe these policies were taking the place of whole life. Also, I was led to believe they were retirement plans. I was not told the fact that even though my monthly premium billed would remain the same the real premium would increase. After discovering my husband's policy would end much sooner than told I tried paying extra each month. This extra money was so mishandled I was told my accounts were behind. I had to contact the Insurance Commissioner’s Office in the state of Alabama before they would correct the error and even then they only applied the money to premiums not to the cash value. The beginning of this year I noticed their statements indicated I was paying a month behind. I called the company and was spoken to very rudely. They would not offer any help.

I finally asked for a payment history. When the payment history arrived it showed my payments up to date. I called the company again and they refused to change even looking at their own records. I had to go to my bank and get records which they still would not accept. I again contacted the Insurance Commissioner’s Office. They finally admitted my payments were up to date but during this time in looking over their paperwork I discovered when my son who was 14 when I took out the policy turned 18 they made him a smoker and charged higher rates. I questioned this and they replied that unless forms are filled out when a child turns 18 they are considered a smoker. They lied and said forms were sent. I never received any forms. My son turns 47 this year so not only have I paid higher premiums but it has cost me interest through the years.

They refuse to do anything other than change the policy to non smoker now if I filled out forms. If anyone has taken out insurance on a child please check your premium because they will take advantage of you without you know. This company has caused me nothing but heartache. We discovered 13 years ago my husband has congestive heart failure, he has a mechanical valve and a CRT for his heart. Also 6 years ago he had a stroke so now after paying for over 30 years on his policy I will end up with no insurance if he dies before me. I would never tell anyone to buy insurance from this company. Please be warned! Look at your policies and know what you are paying for.

Original review: July 15, 2017

My 94 year old mother is in an assisted living facility, with fees of $4900.00 a month. I am her POA. These funds are needed to pay for her care in that facility. I called them about the process to obtain these funds on June 14, 2017. American General then faxed me a form called "Affadavit to Affirm POA." I was told their "legal department" would decide, upon receiving the required information, in 7-15 business days about receiving these funds. This form was notarized, and the form and POA papers were faxed June 19, and June 20, 2017 (one sheet was omitted and had to be sent on June 20).

I called them again 6-28-17 and was told the information was not yet "acknowledged" by their legal department. Called again 6-30-17 and was then told not yet acknowledged, and when (if) it was, it would be mailed to my mother's address, even though I have had all her mail formally changed at USPS to come to my home address, as I handle all of her correspondence, bills, etc. The woman I spoke to on 6-30 was difficult to understand, and only stated "I' sorry," numerous times.

Called again 7-12-17 to check status and was told that I would now need a "withdrawal" form to be signed and notarized. This form was notarized and faxed to American General 7-13-17. I have been in communication with this organization for one month, and do not appear to be any nearer in obtaining these funds. The individual I spoke to on 7-12 asked me to call back the end of the month to check the status. I am amazed at the poor customer support from this group. Can you help? These funds are needed NOW. Thank you for your time.

Original review: June 14, 2017

I called with policy number to get some information and was told the account was closed and they could not help me. I asked to speak with someone who could and he sarcastically asked me who I would like to speak to. Frustrated and getting nowhere I said "thank you" and hung up. I still do not have the answers to my question. The English was fine but the accent made it hard to communicate. I really don't think that was the problem but maybe my questions were not worded with the correct terminology to get the answers I was trying to obtain.

Original review: May 23, 2017

My husband and I have had life insurance policies with General Life Insurance from AIG for some 20 years. Occasionally, we have been late with a payment because we have both been out of town working. We ALWAYS paid the bill immediately upon our return and there were never any problems with that. The same happened in October of 2016 and, again, we paid the bill when we returned. Only this time, the payment was never booked (or something) and from that point on there has been nothing but trouble. We continued to pay the usual amount (which they were happy to take) but kept telling us the account was in arrears. Even when our bank called and confirmed to them that the payment was made, they didn't let up.

After months of telephoning and talking to a different agent every time, SOMEONE finally told me that they were holding $658 that we had paid into the account (duh) and as soon as I filled out a REINSTATEMENT HEALTH REPORT (!!!) I would be reinstated. I found this very strange. They can't get their bookkeeping straight and I have to fill out a health document? But, to get this out of my hair, I filled it out. I receive a letter last week telling me that I would be reinstated once I have remitted $822.50 by May 29th. WHAT??? No explanation of how they arrived at that figure, just pay it. I wish I knew how to get through to the CEO. I'd read him the riot act! Any ideas from any of the posters here? If you are reading this and contemplating a policy with AIG, DON'T DO IT! They just want to bleed you.

American General expert review by Neal Frankle

American General was founded in 1850. They do business with 13 million customers worldwide. They offer a wide range of insurance products and annuities.

• Competitive: American General is often very competitive.

• Online tools: The website has a very helpful interface for customers.

• Ratings: American General has received high scores from many rating agencies.

• Parent company: AIG, which was bailed out by the U.S. government, is the parent company. They made risky investments that few people understood, and were at the very center of the 2008 financial crisis.

Profile picture of Neal Frankle
    Neal Frankle Life Insurance Contributing Editor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.

American General Life Insurance Company Information