American General Life Insurance
Based on 155 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

American General Life Insurance

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 30, 2017

175 American General Life Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

We have been trying to get a Power-of-Attorney form in place for OVER SIX (6) MONTHS! The customer service department is refusing to comply. They refuse to give us a phone number or mailing address to their legal department to submit a formal complaint to. They want us to keep submitting to the customer service department that clearly has no clue what they are doing. Each time we contact them, they want something different. Client has Alzheimer's so every time we have to go back and request something new, it causes distress and anxiety. They wanted an INTERNAL affidavit of POA to go along with his Ohio POA. So we submitted it. (He was a resident of Ohio, then moved to assisted living in Florida near his children.) Once the affidavit was submitted, they decided they wanted a NEW, POA form with Florida witnesses.

So once again, we go through the stress of getting a new POA. Well guess what, now they are saying they want yet ANOTHER affidavit AND claiming the POA is still signed in Ohio when the signature page CLEARLY shows Florida notary and witnesses. This company is the worst I have ever dealt with in my 20+ years. Constantly on hold, constantly being transferred, and every single person we have talked to has told us something completely different. All of this to get an address change in place because they are mailing RMD checks to the wrong address... and wrong STATE! Talk about identity theft exposure here? Every time I have to call this company my blood pressure rises to stroke level.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I am disgusted with this insurance company. We got it for my husband during a period of time when he was uninsured. They set it up to make automatic withdrawals from our bank account, and when he became insured they made it almost impossible to cancel our plan. When we called they claimed they could not confirm or deny he had coverage with them. During the time he had it he did have to go to ER and get stitches after cutting his hand. Exactly what emergency health insurance is for... they sent me this ridiculous PDF that I had to print, then bring to emergency room, and try to get the doctor that saw him to fill it out and send it to them. They make it almost impossible to actually use their coverage. Of course the doctor never filled out the form. We called the ER many times asking the status on it and eventually got a letter in the mail from a collection agency, messing up my husband’s credit.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

Policy purchased in 1976. AIG states policy was changed from term life to deferred annuity in 1988. Policy was signed in Ohio and it's not my signature. In 2005 we requested a change from term to whole life with the balance as a surrender cash. In 2007 and 2008 we were in contact with our agent Kathleen **. We never heard from her again. I've been trying to get satisfaction from AIG from over 10 years. They just keep finding ways not to surrender my policy. I would not recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

I have had life insurance with this company since 1993. Like other reviewers my premiums continue to wrongly increase and like others for the past two years. I have made $175 payments each month more than my premium starting at $50 then $75 then $90 then $115 then $160 which my policy shows it was to NEVER increase. Now again they've increased it to $185 and have tried to cancel me twice, even though I have never been late with a premium payment. They finally sent me this week 08/14/17 a history of payment for the past two years wrongly showing my payments have continually posted as $115/month when I've sent payments of $160/month for this time period.

CUSTOMER SERVICE IS ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS!!! A HUGE JOKE, and a GOD AWFUL WASTE OF MY VALUABLE TIME. How can we get a Class Action Lawsuit going against these scammers? I'm in if anyone wants to start one or a petition. 71 is too old to be dealing with this. After being a valued customer for some 24 years and they've used up my cash value the same as stolen it... As of 2005 I had $4,486.00 cash value, now 2017 it's $3. Where it went and used for what??? WHO KNOWS? They are scammers and robbers. HOW CAN WE GET A LAWSUIT GOING?

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

Approximately 32 years ago I purchased two universal life policies. One on my husband the other on my son. I was led to believe these policies were taking the place of whole life. Also, I was led to believe they were retirement plans. I was not told the fact that even though my monthly premium billed would remain the same the real premium would increase. After discovering my husband's policy would end much sooner than told I tried paying extra each month. This extra money was so mishandled I was told my accounts were behind. I had to contact the Insurance Commissioner’s Office in the state of Alabama before they would correct the error and even then they only applied the money to premiums not to the cash value. The beginning of this year I noticed their statements indicated I was paying a month behind. I called the company and was spoken to very rudely. They would not offer any help.

I finally asked for a payment history. When the payment history arrived it showed my payments up to date. I called the company again and they refused to change even looking at their own records. I had to go to my bank and get records which they still would not accept. I again contacted the Insurance Commissioner’s Office. They finally admitted my payments were up to date but during this time in looking over their paperwork I discovered when my son who was 14 when I took out the policy turned 18 they made him a smoker and charged higher rates. I questioned this and they replied that unless forms are filled out when a child turns 18 they are considered a smoker. They lied and said forms were sent. I never received any forms. My son turns 47 this year so not only have I paid higher premiums but it has cost me interest through the years.

They refuse to do anything other than change the policy to non smoker now if I filled out forms. If anyone has taken out insurance on a child please check your premium because they will take advantage of you without you know. This company has caused me nothing but heartache. We discovered 13 years ago my husband has congestive heart failure, he has a mechanical valve and a CRT for his heart. Also 6 years ago he had a stroke so now after paying for over 30 years on his policy I will end up with no insurance if he dies before me. I would never tell anyone to buy insurance from this company. Please be warned! Look at your policies and know what you are paying for.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American General?

Original review: July 15, 2017

My 94 year old mother is in an assisted living facility, with fees of $4900.00 a month. I am her POA. These funds are needed to pay for her care in that facility. I called them about the process to obtain these funds on June 14, 2017. American General then faxed me a form called "Affadavit to Affirm POA." I was told their "legal department" would decide, upon receiving the required information, in 7-15 business days about receiving these funds. This form was notarized, and the form and POA papers were faxed June 19, and June 20, 2017 (one sheet was omitted and had to be sent on June 20).

I called them again 6-28-17 and was told the information was not yet "acknowledged" by their legal department. Called again 6-30-17 and was then told not yet acknowledged, and when (if) it was, it would be mailed to my mother's address, even though I have had all her mail formally changed at USPS to come to my home address, as I handle all of her correspondence, bills, etc. The woman I spoke to on 6-30 was difficult to understand, and only stated "I' sorry," numerous times.

Called again 7-12-17 to check status and was told that I would now need a "withdrawal" form to be signed and notarized. This form was notarized and faxed to American General 7-13-17. I have been in communication with this organization for one month, and do not appear to be any nearer in obtaining these funds. The individual I spoke to on 7-12 asked me to call back the end of the month to check the status. I am amazed at the poor customer support from this group. Can you help? These funds are needed NOW. Thank you for your time.

Original review: June 14, 2017

I called with policy number to get some information and was told the account was closed and they could not help me. I asked to speak with someone who could and he sarcastically asked me who I would like to speak to. Frustrated and getting nowhere I said "thank you" and hung up. I still do not have the answers to my question. The English was fine but the accent made it hard to communicate. I really don't think that was the problem but maybe my questions were not worded with the correct terminology to get the answers I was trying to obtain.

Original review: May 23, 2017

My husband and I have had life insurance policies with General Life Insurance from AIG for some 20 years. Occasionally, we have been late with a payment because we have both been out of town working. We ALWAYS paid the bill immediately upon our return and there were never any problems with that. The same happened in October of 2016 and, again, we paid the bill when we returned. Only this time, the payment was never booked (or something) and from that point on there has been nothing but trouble. We continued to pay the usual amount (which they were happy to take) but kept telling us the account was in arrears. Even when our bank called and confirmed to them that the payment was made, they didn't let up.

After months of telephoning and talking to a different agent every time, SOMEONE finally told me that they were holding $658 that we had paid into the account (duh) and as soon as I filled out a REINSTATEMENT HEALTH REPORT (!!!) I would be reinstated. I found this very strange. They can't get their bookkeeping straight and I have to fill out a health document? But, to get this out of my hair, I filled it out. I receive a letter last week telling me that I would be reinstated once I have remitted $822.50 by May 29th. WHAT??? No explanation of how they arrived at that figure, just pay it. I wish I knew how to get through to the CEO. I'd read him the riot act! Any ideas from any of the posters here? If you are reading this and contemplating a policy with AIG, DON'T DO IT! They just want to bleed you.

Original review: May 17, 2017

I have been with the company since about 1969 (48 years). I started with a family plan and then changed to a plan of my own. They referred a universal plan which I got and they told me the premiums would never change. My $100,000 policy was $50/month. I have paid that all these years and now I receive a letter that states my cash value is not sufficient to meet the current monthly deductions and coverage will terminate 06-11-17. I called and was told that my premiums are now $173.48/month and along with my direct payment of $50 from my bank account they have been taking the remainder from my cash value.

This is the first I have heard about this! There was no communication found in their system stating they had contacted me and they don't show ever having sent statements. So what now? I am at retirement age and can't afford such a high premium. I thought all this time that when my kids needed it the money would be there. How can a so called reputable company like this one get away with these things??

Original review: May 4, 2017

My family member traveled to the Philippines. He stated on his Facebook page that he was hurt on the airplane. He was taken from the airport to the hospital by his friends, where he later died. Oh My... AIG said he died of "Natural Causes" and had he not die from his injuries on the airplane, they would have paid out. There are several mistakes on the death certificate, including no time of death and no doctor's address. The doctor who is also the Medical Examiner said he died of a heart attack. But he was take to doctor because he banged his knees on the airplane. I'm trying to get the autopsy report. Read the fine print. He had to die as a result of an accident. Right now we are just writing back and forth. I am dealing with a foreign country, a language barrier and an insurance company.

Original review: May 1, 2017

I've been paying life insurance premiums to AIG for 35+ years. When the agent sold me the policy we were told it was a $50,000.00 Whole life policy with a fixed rate of $48.50 per month. We received a letter mailed on April 20, 2017 telling us that our policy coverage would be terminated within the next twelve months if we didn't increase our premiums.

I called AIG this morning and was told our policy was a "Universal Life " not Whole life and that our premium rate was flexible not fixed. The lady that was helping couldn't tell me what the new premiums would be so she forwarded my issue to the accounting office for a new quote. I'm supposed to be contacted by accounting within 40 to 72 hrs. No offense to the lady helping me, she did her best, but I don't consider 40 to 72 hrs timely response from Accounting. I just made my 71st birthday so I can only imagine what the quote will be. I've already paid in around $20,000 in premiums. Has anyone had or is having similar issues???

Original review: April 7, 2017

This company is a scammer. I cashed in two policies and they continue to deduct money out of my account. I called them and they would not help me giving me the excuse because I no longer had insurance with them and no policy number. They could not help me. BUYER BEWARE!!! TAKE YOUR MONEY AND RUN!!! I now have to go to the bank and go through an extended process to get this stopped.

Original review: April 1, 2017

I was a long time customer of American General Life Insurance. The company left our small community. I had trouble getting any service. You had to call New York to get any help. I needed financial help from the company. I was told that I had to 100 years old before I could receive any benefits from my policy. I got limited amount from policies which I had been paying on for a long period of time. I am waiting to get some money back from the one policy. I am extremely unhappy at this moment in time.

Original review: March 30, 2017

My dad has purchased long term care insurance from this company years and years ago to make sure the burden of payment for care providers would not be on his children. Now we are fighting with this insurance company to pay out one cent. This has been going on for at least 1/2 year. We have faxed them reams and reams of information. Every time they keep requesting more. It is a ploy to not pay a cent. We have had to pay the providers ourselves, still fighting with AIG. The frustration level of dealing with this company is over the edge. Do NOT buy insurance from them.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

Beyond Poor Service I received from American General Insurance Company/AIG. My Mother Passed July 15, 2016. I was told two of her policies was sent to the Ga Unclaimed funds. She was alive paying policy payments to her agent at the time the money was Sent. No one notified her about her fund. Now the State has been slow and difficult to get my mother's money. Now the State is requesting American General to send them the Beneficiaries on the money that was sent to the State. I asked AGI to please fax the information. They said they would have to call me back??? With computer in their face and with my; claim # ** they would Not resolve my problem.

To this date no one from has tried to call me back. I keep calling AIG with the same excuse someone will call me back. Note they have closed all local offices. I cannot go in to resolve my problem. I do believe they have in my opinion Stole my mother funds. I would not refer them to insure anyone on Earth. Buyer Please Beware!!! Somebody help me Please!!!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2017

I received a letter from AIG 11/2016 stating that my son policy was canceled and I could pay $300.00 dollars to reinstate. I called the 800 number and was told to send in proof of payment. I mailed in copies of my bank statement for the last six months which shows AIG received payment. Today I received another statement saying the same thing! I would like AIG to give me an explanation about the payments they have been given and what happened. Why am I having a hard time trying to get answers from this company. What can I do? I have been with this company since 2005. Please help! I call this AIG at least every two weeks and AIG tells me that they are looking into the situation.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2017

I been with American General over 20 years, payment was 38.00 then 69.90 and I got letter it will be going up to 116.45. I am 68 yr old on fix income and now they're making it that I have to choose between food, meds, roof over my head or insurance to be buried. What do seniors do? All the money that I have paid them, it just not right. I don't know what to do.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2017

I paid my life insurance on three different accounts before the due date. Got a letter it was not paid. I call, get a very rude guy that I try to ask questions. He basically tells me to find another insurance company. No he does tell me to find another company because I asked to speak to a agent. I've had this insurance since 1998 and never had anyone to be so rude in any company. I am not happy with not being able to talk to someone when I have questions.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2017

On 6/24/16 my husband's life insurance was due. We pd $1,277.84 for a year. He passed on July 13, 2016. Do you think I should get 11 months of the premium back? They don't. They said no way. He had the policy since 1986. He was 76 years old.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2017

She answered all my questions and helped me understand the benefits to my policy. I feel much better knowing where my money is going and how their policy is helping me. I would highly recommend this company. Rian deserves a customer assistance award for her hard work and knowledge and ability to explain the policies to her callers.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2017

I was calling for someone who wants to buy a policy, but wants to speak to a PERSON in a LOCAL office in certain cities in Texas. I called several numbers from the websites, and was on hold so long on each line, I would go try another. All these numbers actually seem to direct to the New York number. Someone finally answered one of them and wanted a policy number etc, after I told them I simply wanted to be able to contact a local agent. She did not have that info, but would redirect me to AIG's general number. NOOO, don't, I don't want to hold again. She punched something, and that line was... BUSY. And then disconnected. I think she hung up on me. I have read the reviews on this page, and I think if their service is worse than speaking to someone, FINDING someone, perhaps we should search elsewhere.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2016

I have a life insurance policy and an accidental insurance policy. Both are paid with one check and billed on the same billing. In October I received a check for $120.00 marked "Suspension" at the top. I called the customer service number, got India. After holding off and on for four hours I was told they would void the check and apply it to the Life policy. Next month I received a late notice and an email telling my that my account was valuable to them, pay or they would cancel. Called again to customer service, got India. There does not seem to be a single person living in the US that works for Customer Service. I have called every 800, 866, 888 number listed anywhere on their website and billing and each time I call I am told my account is up to date, no problem, I have overpaid the account.

Today I received an email telling me my account is important to them, but they will be canceling my insurance because I have not paid. It gets worse. The accidental is now "late", but the life insurance is current! Again, paid with one check on the same billing statement, but the accidental insurance is going to be canceled for not paying the bill. Worst company I have ever had to deal with.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2016

I called to take a loan against my policy for Christmas. They told me NO PROBLEM! We can even do it next day for $20. I did this on Dec 14th. I called on the 18th. Sorry it takes up to 4 days to process the check. Really??? Because they didn't explain that to me. It Dec. 26th and still haven't received the check! I had to give my 3 boys an IOU for Christmas! Never trust them!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2016

I have been a customer since 1995. My account is paid up to date. On or about November 15, 2016 I requested a loan from the accumulated cash value. I was informed after waiting over two weeks for the loan check that the name of the account holder is incorrect and that a name change was requested but could not be processed because they have yet to locate my file. With this account I used both maiden and married names. Note, the insured (me) has my name in the right order yet the account name does not. How is it they cannot locate my file yet will and has accepted a monthly payment on this account with an incorrect name? As told by customer service no one has responded to a request for an update from the department who handles where the files are located and the name change.

The request for an update was sent electronically and no one in customer service is able to verbally contact anyone in the handling department via telephone. How is it that customer service cannot communicate verbally within the company? Because of the poor customer service I received, I have cancelled the other policy in which I was the account holder and intend to do the same with this account once the loan request is processed. A company that values it customers/clients would provide thorough handling of services that it offers. This company has exhibited poor customer service with the handling of my request that remains unresolved.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2016

After year of dealing with this company in my town of Meridian, Ms having two policies one in the 80's and the other in the Feb of 1990 at first everything was fine for years. After they closed the office here in our town it started sending out a worker who stayed in Newton County. I started receiving letters stated my insurance was going to lapse and I continue to send money and they wound even send me some money back, then continue to send more letters about my insurance lapsing. So now after all the stress of it I have just finally decided to cut my loss in cash in my two policies and it really is a loss, because once again they have messed me over.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2016

I have had a policy whole life with American General for 50 years. In 2012 they told me because I had taken some money out that it would expire and I needed to take out a new policy. Well my husband just died and they did not take my premium out so when I inquired why I was told it was my husband's policy I was just a rider, I didn't even have insurance, but then he said I would need to do a new policy. At a much higher rate I am sure. How low down can you get? You know this is lower than low considering I have been insured here for over 50 years. And you can't even find an agent. Just have to make a call to some other far away place. Bad business all around. Sorry service completely. But geez. I sure bet the CEO has a lot of insurance, if he wants it or she. Considering their salary doubt if they need it. This company will not get a good word from me.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2016

I am getting in touch with you all because I have been with American General since 1999 but lately since they closed the local branches in my area, they seem to be misplacing all my payments on this account. I have other life insurances with them, so they closed my policy. I have sent copies of my payments. I feel that I am being treated unfairly, because I have been with this company too long and paid too much money to let my policy be closed. It seems as if they can not explain where my money has been going.

When I had a agent he would send me a card of how much I was to pay but since they let the agents go everything is being misplaced. Please will you all look into my situation and get this resolved. They also stated that I didn't open all my policy up at the same time that is also false. All my policies was purchased at the same time in 1999, but now they are saying it was gotten in 2008. That is not true. One of the agents told me to get in touch with Consumer Affairs to get this resolved before I speak to my attorney.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2016

Unauthorized Monthly Draft and Policy Changes. I've been paying for my dad's monthly premium for $80 and never missed any payment since it was taken out automatically from our checking account. Then this month I received an 'overdrawn account' notice from the bank. There was an almost $1500.00 drafted from the acct. and came to find out it was American Gen Life Insurance who took this money out! Now my account is in negative balance and my other bills were not paid! Tried to call the Insurance company but I was on hold for an hour but still no person to talk to. I need my money back!!!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2016

I have had my policy for 9+ years. Premiums are electronically paid on a monthly basis, so my payments have NEVER been late or missed. Because there has been an addition to our family I must make some changes to my beneficiaries, an address and telephone changed for my records. I had seen several American General Offices in town, but for some unknown reason, they have disappeared and trying to find a valid telephone number to contact the company has been horrible.

If I cannot contact someone today, I will file an official complaint with the New Mexico Attorney General. When loyal customers cannot contact your company, scamming customers is the first thought that comes to mind. FIX your problem. An order number?? Where on earth can I find it? It should automatically print out on the section.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2016

My policy is up to date with each statement they have me behind by 2mos. They even sent me checks, apparently thinking I would cash them. After waiting on the phone for quite a while talking to them to no avail, I sent them back, with my next bill. They continue to send me statements that shows me 2mos. behind. What are they up to? It seems suspicious. I have to get in touch with someone. This is totally unacceptable.

American General expert review by Neal Frankle

American General was founded in 1850. They do business with 13 million customers worldwide. They offer a wide range of insurance products and annuities.

• Competitive: American General is often very competitive.

• Online tools: The website has a very helpful interface for customers.

• Ratings: American General has received high scores from many rating agencies.

• Parent company: AIG, which was bailed out by the U.S. government, is the parent company. They made risky investments that few people understood, and were at the very center of the 2008 financial crisis.

Profile picture of Neal Frankle
Neal Frankle

Life Insurance Contributing Editor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.

American General Life Insurance Company Information