2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.00/5

American Freedom Insurance offers the minimum liability insurance needed to keep drivers street-legal. The company does business in Illinois, Indiana, Pennsylvania and Tennessee. It provides online quotes and an electronic payment portal. It works with almost all drivers, including nonlicensed drivers and drivers with Mexican licenses, and its staff is bilingual.

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

American Freedom Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Freedom Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Freedom Insurance?

Original review: Sept. 12, 2020

The scam: American Freedom Insurance Company advertises itself as the Company with a Long Term Perspective. That is exactly their modus operandi: they stall and cheat in the hope you will walk away without the money they owe you. As you can read from the reviews here, they are a very shady company. As others reported they will keep your claim under review because they claim that they could not talk to their client to confirm the story. After a period of being unable to talk to their client they will complete “their review” and reject the claim. Mind you, our car was rear-ended by their client and their inspector confirmed that the damage was at the back of our car. On the day of the crash their client agreed with us that it was her fault in front of the police officer who said it was not necessary to draw up a police report when both parties agree whose insurance will need to pay for the damage.

After their rejection of the claim I filed a complaint with the Illinois Department of Insurance (the main office of American Freedom is in Illinois). This is a governmental department whose mission it is to protect consumers by providing assistance and information, by efficiently regulating the insurance industry's market behavior and financial solvency. They initiated a formal investigation and contacted American Freedom Company. Suddenly the company called me, stated that their client finally spoke with them and they could pay the claim. But…their client had an insurance policy with a maximum of $5,000 per accident. So, after more than 2 months without the car, this bad excuse for an insurance company paid up for that capped amount.

Here is my advice: When you get hit by someone with American Freedom Insurance: call the police for a police report on the spot, otherwise they will fail to get the story corroborated by their client and reject your claim. When they open their box of tricks to avoid their responsibility: complain formally to the Illinois Department of Insurance, you can submit online. (**). For any legal support call your local car accident lawyer, they provide free consultations and they only charge when they win your case and they recoup both the payment for the damage and their legal fees from the insurance and their (under)insured client. They also provide important medical advice on bodily injury. Good luck to all victims of this company, stay clear from American Freedom Insurance!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

I was hit by one of American Freedom's clients on 12-13-2019. It is now 1-17-2020 and not only is my car not fixed the only time I speak to anyone from this company is when I call them. How can a company like this be allowed to exist. I really hope if you have this company for your insurance needs you so not need to use them. You will be dead before your car gets fixed.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

I was in a car accident and I called them and they told me they do not pay for storage fee if it's in a tow. I would have to get it out and I told them why would they wait at the last minute to it got up to a thousand $165. They are very rude. I try to talk to him. I ask can I talk to a supervisor and the lady told me no. She also told me just to give the title. Ain't nothing they can do. They cannot help me even though it was their fault of the person who hit me in the car. The car was totaled. They had to cut me out the car. I will never in my life get insurance from them. The person had totally hit my car on the driver side and totaled the car. They had to cut me out the car. I end up can't walk. I have bruises on my eyes and had glass in my eyes. They trying to say they do not want to pay for nothing.

Original review: June 10, 2019

My parked car was hit by one of their insured in a parking lot. Not only was the car parked, there was nobody inside my car when it was hit. It is going on a month and they are still "reviewing" the claim. No empathy, no follow-up, nothing. I am wasting valuable time trying to get them to pay for what their insured did to my car. They have required me to submit mounds of paperwork, of which I have complied, but NOTHING in return. Each time I call, I am told they are still waiting and I am asked to call back. Upon speaking to a collision repair shop, I was told 'that is their tactic' stall... stall... stall in hopes of the the claim going away. It is a shame and they are a sham. The Illinois Attorney General need to investigate this shady company.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I filed a claim for a hit and run case with American Freedom Insurance company. I had a police report and called to American Freedom insurance company to file a claim. They gave me a claim number and sent me a lot of unnecessary paperwork. I have seen that other insurance companies pay for the claims even without a police report. This is a very very very terrible insurance company. They speak nicely but difficult to get money from them. They know customers, not like too much paperwork and to provide important information such as Social Security numbers. Also, they need to sign the papers in front of a Notary Public. This is terrible because I already had a police report and if they need they can contact the police. Finally, they didn't pay money to repair the car. They didn't even call after that.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I was recently struck by an individual who had American Freedom. During the time with the police and witnesses, the individual admitted fault which was then documented in the accident report from the police. However, because the customer of American Freedom would not return any calls, the claim was not paid. I had sent all needed documentation and called the company daily as my car was not driveable. If you have a claim with this less than quality company, file with your company and have them "go after" American Freedom. It is not worth dealing with the scripted answers and delay tactics from this company. I would give them 0 stars if it was an option.

Original review: April 25, 2018

My husband had an accident on I80/94 coming home from work in Illinois. He was hit by a car from the rear that was going at an excessive amount of speed. The person that hit him died on the scene. They had no insurance coverage. We submitted a claim immediately and retained an attorney. They denied the claim for 3 attorneys with a bogus response of our vehicle not being registered in the state of Indiana. We found documentation showing our Indiana address. We filed a complaint with the IN department of insurance. They closed our original complaint, but reopened it after we submitted the new info with the IN address. The original date of the accident was 3/06/16. We still have no car and my husband has been at home with his injuries from the accident since that time.

We reached out to the media who has received some answers, but nothing concrete at this time. Just recently contacted FIO (Federal Insurance Office) and unfortunately, they don't help with specific insurers or individual claims. It is clear after reading all of the numerous complaints that there is no one that can clearly hold this company accountable, which is sad. They continue to collect from consumers never offering compensation for claims. And from what I can see this has been ongoing since 2010. I want to know how can they continue to do this as a company, and why are they still in business.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

My parked truck was in front of my house when a woman came around the corner and totaled it. She tried to flee. My neighbor chased her down, brought her back in, the police came and filed a report. She said she had insurance which was American Freedom Insurance. She said she had a license and we filed a police report. I called their insurance. I got a claim number. They said they would send an adjuster in one to two days. Accident occurred about 10:10 a.m. Friday 9/22/2017. Tuesday comes along 9/26 /2017 at 4:30 p.m. I called then I'm informed that this person hasn't had insurance with them since February 2016. Now why would someone lie and give me a claim number and tell me someone was coming if they weren't and why didn't they call and tell me that they aren't now. This person is not going to pay me.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

April of 2017 I was rear ended by a mini van, person driving is insured with American Freedom Insurance, I am still waiting for my car to be fixed. Insured states the paperwork required was completed and sent to AFI, I was required to complete the same paperwork which was done and returned. Took my car to their recommended body shop; they sent the required estimate and pictures of damage to AFI.

AFI is refusing to pay for the following reasons: They state they have no proof that the insured hit my car, I should have gotten a police report. Police in Indiana will not complete an accident report if the damage is below a specified dollar amount and there was no personal injury... both of which are the case with this accident.

I recommended the insured look for a different company to do business with, this company is a farce. After reading the other comments it doesn't matter if you are the insured making a claim or the person hit by the insured. AFI takes your money and doesn't pay their claims. RIP OFF.

Original review: May 8, 2017

I have insurance for my car Toyota Camry. I have full coverage for my car with the American Insurance company. I had involved in car accident last year, and it is over a year now. They have not fix my car yet. I spoke to them several times, that the damage cost $2,355.95. The value of the car $4800.00 based on several good estimate companies. I spoke to them several times, "Please fix my car", but they want to take the car for total damage and just paying to me $250 dollars. They did not fix the car or make proper estimate. This is so bad company for anyone to insure with them. They have very bad customer service.

American Freedom Insurance Company Information