Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates
1.00/5

American Freedom Insurance

American Freedom Insurance serves customers in Illinois, Indiana, Pennsylvania and Tennessee. It isn't one of InsuraMatch's verified partners. To find an InsuraMatch partner or a company that offers insurance in your state, call InsuraMatch. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

American Freedom Insurance offers the minimum liability insurance drivers need to stay street-legal. The company does business in Illinois, Indiana, Pennsylvania and Tennessee. Online quotes and payment portal are available.

PROS

• Offers minimum-coverage for drivers who only need to be street-legal
  • Online payment options
  • Available in multiple states
  • Spanish speakers available

CONS

• Some customers found the claims process to be cumbersome and time-consuming

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

American Freedom Insurance Reviews

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

I was in a car accident and I called them and they told me they do not pay for storage fee if it's in a tow. I would have to get it out and I told them why would they wait at the last minute to it got up to a thousand $165. They are very rude. I try to talk to him. I ask can I talk to a supervisor and the lady told me no. She also told me just to give the title. Ain't nothing they can do. They cannot help me even though it was their fault of the person who hit me in the car. The car was totaled. They had to cut me out the car. I will never in my life get insurance from them. The person had totally hit my car on the driver side and totaled the car. They had to cut me out the car. I end up can't walk. I have bruises on my eyes and had glass in my eyes. They trying to say they do not want to pay for nothing.

Original review: June 10, 2019

My parked car was hit by one of their insured in a parking lot. Not only was the car parked, there was nobody inside my car when it was hit. It is going on a month and they are still "reviewing" the claim. No empathy, no follow-up, nothing. I am wasting valuable time trying to get them to pay for what their insured did to my car. They have required me to submit mounds of paperwork, of which I have complied, but NOTHING in return. Each time I call, I am told they are still waiting and I am asked to call back. Upon speaking to a collision repair shop, I was told 'that is their tactic' stall... stall... stall in hopes of the the claim going away. It is a shame and they are a sham. The Illinois Attorney General need to investigate this shady company.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I filed a claim for a hit and run case with American Freedom Insurance company. I had a police report and called to American Freedom insurance company to file a claim. They gave me a claim number and sent me a lot of unnecessary paperwork. I have seen that other insurance companies pay for the claims even without a police report. This is a very very very terrible insurance company. They speak nicely but difficult to get money from them. They know customers, not like too much paperwork and to provide important information such as Social Security numbers. Also, they need to sign the papers in front of a Notary Public. This is terrible because I already had a police report and if they need they can contact the police. Finally, they didn't pay money to repair the car. They didn't even call after that.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I was recently struck by an individual who had American Freedom. During the time with the police and witnesses, the individual admitted fault which was then documented in the accident report from the police. However, because the customer of American Freedom would not return any calls, the claim was not paid. I had sent all needed documentation and called the company daily as my car was not driveable. If you have a claim with this less than quality company, file with your company and have them "go after" American Freedom. It is not worth dealing with the scripted answers and delay tactics from this company. I would give them 0 stars if it was an option.

Original review: April 25, 2018

My husband had an accident on I80/94 coming home from work in Illinois. He was hit by a car from the rear that was going at an excessive amount of speed. The person that hit him died on the scene. They had no insurance coverage. We submitted a claim immediately and retained an attorney. They denied the claim for 3 attorneys with a bogus response of our vehicle not being registered in the state of Indiana. We found documentation showing our Indiana address. We filed a complaint with the IN department of insurance. They closed our original complaint, but reopened it after we submitted the new info with the IN address. The original date of the accident was 3/06/16. We still have no car and my husband has been at home with his injuries from the accident since that time.

We reached out to the media who has received some answers, but nothing concrete at this time. Just recently contacted FIO (Federal Insurance Office) and unfortunately, they don't help with specific insurers or individual claims. It is clear after reading all of the numerous complaints that there is no one that can clearly hold this company accountable, which is sad. They continue to collect from consumers never offering compensation for claims. And from what I can see this has been ongoing since 2010. I want to know how can they continue to do this as a company, and why are they still in business.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Freedom Insurance?

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

My parked truck was in front of my house when a woman came around the corner and totaled it. She tried to flee. My neighbor chased her down, brought her back in, the police came and filed a report. She said she had insurance which was American Freedom Insurance. She said she had a license and we filed a police report. I called their insurance. I got a claim number. They said they would send an adjuster in one to two days. Accident occurred about 10:10 a.m. Friday 9/22/2017. Tuesday comes along 9/26 /2017 at 4:30 p.m. I called then I'm informed that this person hasn't had insurance with them since February 2016. Now why would someone lie and give me a claim number and tell me someone was coming if they weren't and why didn't they call and tell me that they aren't now. This person is not going to pay me.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

April of 2017 I was rear ended by a mini van, person driving is insured with American Freedom Insurance, I am still waiting for my car to be fixed. Insured states the paperwork required was completed and sent to AFI, I was required to complete the same paperwork which was done and returned. Took my car to their recommended body shop; they sent the required estimate and pictures of damage to AFI.

AFI is refusing to pay for the following reasons: They state they have no proof that the insured hit my car, I should have gotten a police report. Police in Indiana will not complete an accident report if the damage is below a specified dollar amount and there was no personal injury... both of which are the case with this accident.

I recommended the insured look for a different company to do business with, this company is a farce. After reading the other comments it doesn't matter if you are the insured making a claim or the person hit by the insured. AFI takes your money and doesn't pay their claims. RIP OFF.

Original review: May 8, 2017

I have insurance for my car Toyota Camry. I have full coverage for my car with the American Insurance company. I had involved in car accident last year, and it is over a year now. They have not fix my car yet. I spoke to them several times, that the damage cost $2,355.95. The value of the car $4800.00 based on several good estimate companies. I spoke to them several times, "Please fix my car", but they want to take the car for total damage and just paying to me $250 dollars. They did not fix the car or make proper estimate. This is so bad company for anyone to insure with them. They have very bad customer service.

Original review: April 11, 2017

So on American Freedom home page, it states that "we are ready and waiting to provide the insurance protection you and your family need". This is so not the case when it comes to filing a hit and run with them. My brand new 2017 vehicle was involved in a hit & run on March 3rd, 2017. So when I reported the incident to AFI, they made sure to point out that if I could not show proof of myself & my wife being married the claim will be denied. I got them the proof, and then they came with something else saying I took too long to file the report with the police. Mind you I saw the accident @ 10:00 am I got my 3 boys ready made it to the police station & waited my turn in line & the officer put 11:30 am. So AFI says that was too long & if I could not show proof of calling the police before going to the station the claim will be denied. I got them the proof that I called 911.

After several weeks AFI finally approves the claim & it's in the body shop. After a week I call the body shop for an ETA, they say it will be done in a day but AFI did not include the bumper. I then call AFI and they say they need pictures showing my vehicle before the hit and run to include the bumper in the claim. I should have reviewed this insurance company before the dealership put me on AFI policy. Needless to say, today is April 11th, 2017 & my vehicle is still not fixed. Please, guys, stay away from American Freedom Insurance. They are really no good and they don't work for the policyholders.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2017

Companies like this one give the insurance business a bad name. I had full coverage when my wife was rear ended at a full stop by a driver without license or insurance. She was excluded because she wasn't driving. Later she got her license but I did not have her on the policy yet when the accident occurred. It was a hit and run. The driver of the other vehicle left the scene. I made the report to insurance. That's when all started. Got the phone call from this lousy company and I knew right away that they were not going to pay. I was been questioned as if I had committed a crime and crossed examined viciously. I try talking to a supervisor who only gave me a false hope by asking to fax my marriage certificate knowingly that the case was already close. Never heard from them again. Stay away from them. Don't throw your money away for false coverage.

American Freedom Insurance Company Information