2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.00/5

American Freedom Insurance offers the minimum liability insurance needed to keep drivers street-legal. The company does business in Illinois, Indiana, Pennsylvania and Tennessee. It provides online quotes and an electronic payment portal. It works with almost all drivers, including nonlicensed drivers and drivers with Mexican licenses, and its staff is bilingual.

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

American Freedom Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Freedom Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Freedom Insurance?

Original review: April 11, 2017

So on American Freedom home page, it states that "we are ready and waiting to provide the insurance protection you and your family need". This is so not the case when it comes to filing a hit and run with them. My brand new 2017 vehicle was involved in a hit & run on March 3rd, 2017. So when I reported the incident to AFI, they made sure to point out that if I could not show proof of myself & my wife being married the claim will be denied. I got them the proof, and then they came with something else saying I took too long to file the report with the police. Mind you I saw the accident @ 10:00 am I got my 3 boys ready made it to the police station & waited my turn in line & the officer put 11:30 am. So AFI says that was too long & if I could not show proof of calling the police before going to the station the claim will be denied. I got them the proof that I called 911.

After several weeks AFI finally approves the claim & it's in the body shop. After a week I call the body shop for an ETA, they say it will be done in a day but AFI did not include the bumper. I then call AFI and they say they need pictures showing my vehicle before the hit and run to include the bumper in the claim. I should have reviewed this insurance company before the dealership put me on AFI policy. Needless to say, today is April 11th, 2017 & my vehicle is still not fixed. Please, guys, stay away from American Freedom Insurance. They are really no good and they don't work for the policyholders.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2017

Companies like this one give the insurance business a bad name. I had full coverage when my wife was rear ended at a full stop by a driver without license or insurance. She was excluded because she wasn't driving. Later she got her license but I did not have her on the policy yet when the accident occurred. It was a hit and run. The driver of the other vehicle left the scene. I made the report to insurance. That's when all started. Got the phone call from this lousy company and I knew right away that they were not going to pay. I was been questioned as if I had committed a crime and crossed examined viciously. I try talking to a supervisor who only gave me a false hope by asking to fax my marriage certificate knowingly that the case was already close. Never heard from them again. Stay away from them. Don't throw your money away for false coverage.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2016

I pulled in to 7 Eleven parking lot. I didn't had the chance to get put the car, when a truck right next to me started to pull out. He turned his wheel to quick, scraping the side of my car. Made a police report. The officer stated that it's his fault. Made a claim with his insurance. Haven't received one phone call from them. And when I call them they don't want to cooperate.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2016

The worst insurance company I've ever dealt with! I've been with the company over 3 yrs never had a claim until recently when I hit a deer. I have full coverage on my truck and they charged me a ** betterment fee for parts on my truck that was because they were supposedly aftermarket parts which they weren't and I not only had to pay my deductible but another 500 for the parts on top of the 500 deductible!!! The estimate was for 1500 and I had to pay 1000 out of my own pocket! Why do I have full coverage just for them to screw me over!! Highly recommend not using this insurance company! Terrible customer service and support.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2016

On October 3 of this year my legally parked car was hit by a motorist insured with American Freedom Insurance. I wasn't in the car, and the motorist asked a resident from the neighborhood about the owner of the car. The resident rang my doorbell, and I went outside to check on the car. The motorist explained that he hit my car while trying to retrieve a cell phone that he dropped in his car. I called the police who issued the motorist a citation. I then called my insurance company (Allstate) who advised me that I would have to pay a deductible ($1,000) if I filed a formal complaint with Allstate. I then decided to contact American Freedom Insurance, and that's when all of my problems began.

I received nothing but stalling and poor service from the claims adjuster. He didn't return my calls or my e-mails. I had to initiate the calls. Their appraiser came out to check my car for damages on 10-11. After leaving messages for the adjuster, I was finally able to reach him on 10-17, and he told me that the pictures and notes taken by the appraiser were still under review. He said the appraiser's information needed to be double checked and that he wouldn't accept the results of his own agent. However, he didn't tell me another appraiser would come out to examine my car. I told him that it was unbelievable that he would doubt the reliability of his own agent.

He also said his company needed to determine liability for the accident. His client hit a car that was legally parked on the street, which is noted on the crash report. This was a one-person accident. Whose fault could it be but the motorist plus the motorist admitted that he was solely responsible. This was simply a stalling technique and an attempt to avoid paying me money for the repair or loss of my car. Finally, on 10-20 I decided to contact my own insurance company and file a formal complaint. By 11-4 their appraiser had examined my car, declared it totaled, and I received a check for the loss of the car. So in less than two weeks Allstate was able to do what American Freedom Insurance wasn't able to do in a month.

American Freedom Insurance authorized my use of a rental car, and I returned it on 10-21. I then sent a letter to them asking for reimbursement of the amount I paid for the rental car by 11-11, or I would sue their client in Small Claims Court. Based on past performance from this company, I don't think I will receive any money. So, I guess I will be off to file the suit next week. American Freedom Insurance should not be allowed to have an insurance license. The company is irresponsible and incapable of dealing with people honestly. I will be contacting the BBB, the Illinois Insurance Board, and any other agency that I think will censure them and keep them from doing business again with anybody.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2016

My car was vandalized on May 21 2016. I made Police report - everything I'm supposed to do I did. They picked up the car took it to some chop shop in Lockport IL where the owner of that place must be American Freedoms paid thief and his chop shop. They kept it there for 1 month and finally they Denied my claim. I a car which I tried to start it afterwards the whole dash caught on fire so Now I'm left with a Car with Payments and damaged. Where is the Law on them. If you want your Credit and life destroyed Please take American Fraud Insurance Company. They suck garbage company.

Original review: July 9, 2016

I purchased a policy just from producer, Brya Insurance, and was insured by American Freedom for full coverage on my 2015 Dodge Avenger. Unfortunately, I was in an accident on I-57 S highway when a man chose to text and drive, lost control of his car and I t-boned his car that was sitting in the middle of the highway at 70 MPH.

I reported the accident two days later to AM FAM, paperwork was mailed out/returned and the wait began, this was January 4, 2016. AM FAM denied my claim with reason being I failed to initially disclose self-employment as a home care provider thinking that I used my car for the course of business. At that time, AM FAM mailed my payment back to me and applied remaining monies to the month after my accident!

I never used my car for business, my lawyer advised me to file complaint with an Insurance Regulatory Commission (Illinois) and I did in 02/2016. I provided the Insurance Regulatory with proof that I used my car to drive to my place of business and home daily and reconfirmed the policy with the original producer to ensure accuracy.

After waiting, and continuing to make my monthly car payments of 480.00 while injured and out of work, 07/06/16, GM financial, my car insurance company received 10,423.00 dollars towards the cost of my car. AM Fam initially only agreed to replace my car up to 12,800.00, at this time they reduced it by storage fees of my totaled car, deductible and other miscellaneous fees. I still owe 3500.00 on a totaled car and walking.

AM FAM is difficult to reach by phone, it's a phone maze to get through just to speak to a live person, the hours are inconvenient, no employee is accountable to you and most of the customer service rep seem to speak English as a second language which I believe contributed to the initial lack of understanding when I made the claim in the first place in which I was denied. I will NEVER recommend anyone to use this company for ANY reason!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2016

My son was driving my car when a American Freedom Insurance client pulled out of a parking lots without stopping and my son try to avoid him but he stopped and blocked both lanes. He got a ticket. Well I filed a claim and they denied me for my car plus my son's medical bills. So I called the Department of Insurance Consumer Complaint. I am filing a complaint about this insurance company and how they did me wrong. Maybe if more people would file complaints -- whatever state you live in, there is a Department of Insurance file -- it might get people like us justice.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2015

I was in an accident on June 10th 2015. I was rear ended so not my fault. The police was called and a report was taken. Months later I get a letter from the BMV stating my license was suspended for not having insurance at time of accident in which I did. I had American Freedom Insurance. I then contacted them to have a Certificate of Compliance sent to the BMV electronically as that's the only way you can send it. I contacted them on October 6th 2015 to have this done as there was a deadline for October 24th 2015. Here is it October 23rd 2015 and still nothing has been sent to BMV. After several calls and attempts they have done nothing and they are very rude. I will be searching for a new insurance company TODAY! If you're thinking about getting American Freedom Insurance, DON'T!!!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2015

No one should get this insurance. They will not help you or pay for anything. My car was flooded out. I had full coverage. After totaling my car out they denied my claim. Their reason was because I did it on purpose. After weeks of arguing with them all they did was hang up on me. Good thing I have an amazing lawyer.

American Freedom Insurance Company Information