3.26/5
Based on 19 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 15, 2018

19 American Family Life Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 15, 2018

They have a contract with Dept.of Homeland Security. I have a lawsuit against the gov't, and since its origin I have been severely harassed. The gov't will mark a person who stands up for their rights when a case has potential for reaching implications that could inconvenience the status quo, even though the person did nothing wrong. The gov't agency will contract with companies who will stalk/harass/block the individual in organized methods. American Family Insurance is one of these companies. They have changed price every month, canceled my insurance for no reason, swore they started it again and did not. Horrible experience.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I had purchased long term care insurance for my sibling, I was paying the premium yearly and one day realized it had been a long time since I had received a bill. I went through my check book and immediately called to ask why I was not longer being billed for this policy. They responded non-payment of premiums. We were never contacted by phone and I have a cancer policy as well that is paid through payroll deductions. I contacted the post office and they said it was likely that the mail carrier returned it because my sibling does not have the same last name. I wrote a check for $1,000 to cover the back premiums. They have not cashed it, or returned it. We completed a form for payroll deductions, which they claim they didn't receive. I called several agents, no one returns my calls or emails. I was finally told they no longer sell long term care and they will not reinstate this policy.

Get expert buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

Decided to take this to lower my car insurance. Was well worth it. Haven't been on site too much since I signed up. My agent handled everything for me. Was all very easy.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

If you cancel a policy expect it to take a month for a refund. I originally purchased my renters insurance through Homesite because I thought Esurance would give me a discount on my car insurance as they are "partner" agencies... No such luck. When my car insurance skyrocketed over $100 a month more (I have a spotless record and it was PLPD), my boyfriend and I decided to combine our insurance and include renters with the car insurance. I called at 6:30 pm EST and was put on hold. I put earbuds in and began to do some gardening/yard work. I finally hung up 2 HOURS LATER after setting up a web account and cancelling there.

Forward to 10 days later and I still haven't received a refund for the money taken THE DAY AFTER I tried to cancel via phone (side note, the website would not allow me to cancel the day I called, or even the following day, it forced me to choose 2 days later). I called a few minutes ago to find out about the refund and was told 15-20 business days for the money to be credited back to my account. That ends up being around a month. I don't understand why this would be. No calculations need to be done, this isn't a small local company, and they have all of the information about my debit card and current address. Don't bother using this company for ANYTHING, they are cheats and suck.

Original review: May 2, 2016

Been paying $50 a month for 30 years on a Universal life policy for my husband and now that he is 65, come to find out it will expire with NO coverage in 4-6 years!! Amfam blames it on the economy and says that this is what we signed up for, that this could potentially happen. REALLY?? I remember being told we had $50,000 worth of life insurance on a secure policy, NOT TERM LIFE INSURANCE, with a high payment to boot!! I don't understand how this can be legal and nobody got a heads up on this. How many unsuspecting people are going through the same thing we are and try to think of buying life insurance when you're 65!! Thanks American Family.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Family Life Insurance?

Original review: April 20, 2016

Been calling about my claim. It's been a week now after I was told that they will email me about getting in touch with them to send some estimates. Up to now there is no callback or email. Very poor customer service... the worst. I work for customer service and we always make it right the first time... that's how you take care of customers.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2016

I have all my cars and home policies with American Family Insurance and it made it much easier to get my life insurance policy with them as they've been my insurance company since 2004. I have had the opportunity to get other insurance quotes. And this far, no other insurance companies has been able to save me money, and the staff has been so helpful and always a kind staff, and always check on me and go over my life insurance policy to see if I need more or less coverage. I'm very satisfied with them. Thank you American Family Insurance.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2016

They offer good bundle packages when including all three of our cars, home and life insurance. We know our agent on a personal basis. The office is located close to our home. They send email reminders about premium's due dates.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2016

I have a good representative for my insurance. He is personable and knowledgeable. I enjoy my service. He is easy to contact and quickly gets in touch with me on issues that might affect me.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2016

My agent is wonderful at keeping me updated on what is best for me and my family. I have been with American Family for many years and I recommend my agency to others because of the personalized service I receive.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2015

Even though we have been fortunate enough to have not needed our agent was very helpful. He explained different policies and rates for each. He gave us suggestions but let us make the decision ourselves.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2015

I have a $5000 life insurance policy with American Family, which I took out in 2006. The agent for American Family explained the policy to me and the price was very reasonable. The company has been very easy to deal with!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2015

Company is very customer conscientious and willing to explain in simple terms your options and benefits as far as your choice in insurance. Always outgoing and willing to help and answer customer questions and address customer concerns. Also, provides a face to connect the customer with the company.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2015

Quick and easy application process done in person at my agent's office. Representative came to my job for the physical. Premium is deducted out of my account automatically each month. I receive an annual statement in the mail.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2015

I carry life insurance through work and MetLife is the provider. It was reasonable for the rate however the only issue is I leave work I get nothing for what I paid into it.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2015

American Family is a great company. I have never had any problems with them. I have my life, home and car insurance through them. They are really nice and helpful. They are quick to answer questions to get you the answer you need when it comes to insurance.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2015

Been with them over 20 years. Rate increases are reasonable and we've had the same agent. He sends Christmas and birthday cards and calls on a regular basis just to see if we need anything. The office staff is personable and always knows how to answer my questions. We've never had to make a claim, so that could alter my opinion, if that ever happens.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2015

They have had consistent prices, are transparent about the policy and I'm satisfied with the amount of coverage. I also was satisfied with the notarization process for my beneficiaries. My agent (who I've been with for 20 years) explained the process, as well as the policy, very thoroughly and answered all the questions to my satisfaction.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2015

Not a lot of contact with them. My premium is the same every month and is paid automatically. If I was younger I would have a policy that is worth somewhat more. Not going to make any changes at this stage of my life.

American Family Life Insurance expert review by Neal Frankle

American Family Life Insurance is a company that is dedicated to giving their customers peace of mind as well as custom tailored insurance policies that fit each individual's needs. They also make the insurance process as simple as possible by providing friendly and helpful service, as well as keeping the claims process easy and worry-free.

• Agents are advisers: American Family Life Insurance's agents are not just agents--they are also advisers that specialize in finding you a plan that works best for your needs and saves you money.

• Customer commitment: American Family Life Insurance and their agents are committed to serving you as best as they possibly can, and making sure you are happy with your insurance plan.

• Multiple products: American Family Life Insurance offers many types of insurance, including as auto, home and life, so that you don't have to worry about policies through multiple companies and you can save money with bundles.

• Easy claims process: American Family Life Insurance makes the claims process quick and simple, so you can easily restore everything back to normal.

• Award winning: American Family Life Insurance has won multiple awards that have distinguished them from other insurance companies. Because of these awards, you can be assured that this company will provide you with the best policies and processes.

Profile picture of Neal Frankle
Neal Frankle

Life Insurance Contributing Editor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.

American Family Life Insurance Company Information