4.0/5 (138 ratings)

About American Express Travel Insurance

American Express Travel Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express Travel Insurance?

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

I have no idea when I signed up for this. I recently booked flights and almost immediately found better prices and closer airports to my destination (cancelled tickets and bought new ones). Travel assure was automatically charged to my card for all the tickets. The cancelled tickets were refunded but travel assure kept 70% of the premiums for all the cancelled tickets. The trip is over two months out and we’re cancelled the same day. It took three calls to figure out why the total premium wasn’t refunded. The lack of transparency of the policy and hoops you have to jump through to get an explanation borders on criminal. As a result, I’m likely using other credit cards and looking else where for these services.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2022

Have spent hours and hours trying to get a copy of my travel insurance. Each request they say will take 24-48 hours. Been requested 3 x and no email. Talking to a rep multiple times and get a run around about the system. Requests keep being sent and even they admit that the emails have not been sent. Yet they can not get ahold of anyone to send an email. Supervisors are not available. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY.

Get buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2022

Avoid paying for expensive Amex cards on the pretext you can use the card for coverage when renting a car. I had a incident thought I was covered if I had a incident. How wrong I was, Amex is second in line. They want to see if your personal car insurance will cover it. They constantly ask for different information, give you the run around.

Claim adjuster Jenelle ** you cannot contact, Amex claim adjusters don’t have email addresses. I am out $5,000 and being given the complete run around by Amex. I am going to either downgrade from platinum card or abandon Amex and when renting a car take the full coverage offered by car rental company. Make yourself aware of what Amex is really covering for, I have learnt the hard way.

Original review: July 27, 2021

I bought travel insurance # **. Claim # **. I filed a claim two months ago, I never received a reply. I resubmitted the claim on 2/7/2021 with all the information requested. USPS **. Delivered July 05, 09:34 AM El Paso, TX. Send the documentation where AMEX informed me. Mail: American Express, AMEX Assurance Company, PO Box 981553, El Paso, TX. 79998-9920. To date, I have not received any kind of reply. When I call Customer services they say they know nothing and that they are a third party and do what they can, all in incomprehensible English. Call center overseas. For many years I used this company for my travels, which were not few. Today I realize that they were scamming me all the time. Should I resign myself to being scammed? American Express Scammers.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2020

We purchased trip insurance for an upcoming wedding out of the country due to the uncertainty surrounding COVID-19. Predictably, the wedding was canceled. When I contacted Amex Assurance I was told that my trip could not be covered because it was not specified on page 42 of the document. I went back and looked at the language presented when they offer this product and it's highly misleading. The first bullet point on the benefits for your Covered Trip is, "Trip cancellation/interruption coverage; coverage for non-refundable expenses and additional expenses should you have to cancel or interrupt your trip due to illness or other covered emergencies." If COVID-19 isn't illness I don't know what is. Save your money - don't buy this.

Original review: May 4, 2020

We purchased the highest coverage from American Express Travel Insurance and when we couldn’t travel to Italy, we contacted them. We were asked who told us not to travel to Italy from New York on April 27, 2020. I said first of all, the President of the United Stares. Then we were asked if we has a letter from our doctor - we did. Filled out all the forms and were turned down.

Original review: March 28, 2020

I purchased the insurance in October, 2019 for a 10 day trip to Italy. American Airlines cancelled my flight April 12, 2020, due to Coronavirus. Shortly after, Dr. Quarantined and provided a letter of diagnosis. AMEX Insurance refused to provide any benefit. AMEX Insurance provided a denial of coverage, and cut and paced excerpts from the policy stating the airline cancelled... and it wasn’t due to strike. AMEX Insurance refused to uphold the policy provisions specifically providing benefit for persons who are quarantined by a physician prior to or during their trip.

Furthermore, AMEX Insurance does not provide provision for appeal and due process in their denial letter. Due to their gross incompetence, lack of responsibility, and complete disregard for the health and safety of their consumers, I will not purchase this insurance, or ever purchase through AMEX travel again. I am submitting a case to the CFPB in hopes due process procedures will be put in place for others, and a refund of my premium.

Original review: March 17, 2020

I have purchased the American travel insurance from AMEX on FEB-1. When we checked with the doctor, the doctor advised that do not travel outside of USA and gave a suggestion letter. So, We canceled the air ticket. Now when I filed claim with AMEX, they rejected the claim. They said that "We must respectfully advise that coverage is not available for cancellation due to the possibility of the Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) impacting you, your trip and/or destination since it is not a Covered Reason listed." But when I read at the policy document, it is mentioned that anything threatening to life will be covered. So, it is not fair AMEX.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

This past year my husband and I booked a long anticipated river cruise. Unfortunately, earlier in the year my husband needed knee surgery, which lead to the necessity for a second knee surgery, which in turn lead to a third surgery. During this complicated medical journey, he developed sepsis, which created a chemical brain imbalance, leading to a diagnosis of PTSD. (It is noteworthy to say my husband was in excellent physical and mental health before the first surgery, other than a torn meniscus). We have provided very accurate medical accounts and detailed doctors's reports, validating what had occurred. American Express Travel Insurance claims that his condition is 'mental" and therefore, our claim for reimbursement was denied.

We appealed the discussion, providing more documentation supporting the medical severity of the sepsis and consequent mental trauma that lead us to having to cancel our travel plans, and once again we were denied reimbursement. We were just expecting this travel insurance company to act in good faith, and do the right thing, however this is not how this unethical company operates. In writing this review, it is our hope that no consumer will have the same frustrating and costly outcome that we have experienced...

Original review: Dec. 29, 2019

When I inquired and contested about AMEX's two Travel Insurance charges ($18.99), I was told we got charged because we opted-in to their particular program 23 years ago (1996). I explained I didn't know about such program so long ago and that I have made flight reservations using AMEX before but never got these charges. So, I asked for the charges to be reversed given I was not aware of such program and did not authorize the charges. That moving forward, I would use the card for flights knowing we will get charged.

I was told by AMEX Airflight Insurance Premium Dept (Mexico) that I can only file a "request for investigation" to their "back office" to review b/c the flight was already taken. I explained if I didn't know such program and found out only when statement was issued, by then the flight was taken..how can I contest it "before" the flight. He also said by filing for investigation, I would have to cancel the policy even before the investigation results come in. I complained that request for credit is b/c I was not aware of the opt-in 23 years ago and has nothing to do in requesting for policy to be cancelled. Let alone, it'll be cancelled before the investigation results. So, the policy is cancelled just because I requested an investigation and yet have no idea if the credits will be issued.

It seems illegal to mandate that my policy be cancelled just because I asked for an investigation. Let alone for a program I apparently signed up 23 years ago. Plus, I am not given a copy of the investigation until the results are issued. This whole process is not transparent at all and good customer experience. We've been a long-time AMEX customer and a loyal one, too. Now, I find out their free "Travel Accident Insurance" program is going to be cancelled Jan 2020. I guess I am now forced to use Chase card for Travel and Flight bookings. It's too bad...so be careful what you sign up for and not remembering two decades ago.

American Express Travel Insurance author review by Matthew Brodsky

As a Fortune 500 company, American Express offers a wide range of financial and insurance services.

• Baggage insurance for customers: American Express card holders may already have baggage insurance as an add-on benefit.

• Travel accident insurance on offer: Another benefit given to American Express card holders is travel accident insurance. As long as you paid full fare on a common carrier, your flight is covered.

• Get a global assist hotline: A concierge service by any other name will still help you with a lost passport, missed flight or other emergency.

• Amex partners with Travel Guard for trip insurance: Amex stopped offering direct travel insurance, but they work with Travel Guard to continue offering comprehensive travel coverage.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Advisor

American Express Travel Insurance Company Information

American Express Travel Insurance
    World Financial Center, 200 Vesey St.
    New York