Find a Travel Insurance partner

2. Travel
  3. Travel Insurance

3.6/5 (66 ratings)

Insure your next trip with Generali Global Services

Choose from 3 different plans today!

Get a Quote
Find a Travel Insurance partner

About American Express Travel Insurance

American Express Travel Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express Travel Insurance?

Original review: July 31, 2019

We booked with Amex Centurion Travel a 16 day River Cruise on the Danube River with the Crystal Cruise Line (one of the most Luxurious Cruise Companies) for a sailing on the Danube River that was suppose to depart on June 21st. We were advised by Amex Centurion Travel/the Amex Cruise specialist that we should purchase Trip Interruption Insurance since the cost of this cruise was so expensive. We purchased the best travel insurance policy that Amex Assurance Company offered for over $1,500, (the insurance premium for this policy) something they call their Gold Policy.

5 days before our scheduled Cruise was suppose to commence we were informed by Crystal Cruise Line that the Cruise we booked was being canceled because a Lock on the Danube River was damaged by a collision from another Viking River Cruise Ship. As a result the Danube River was closed to all ship traffic for two weeks, and our cruise was canceled. We had flown to Europe early to enjoy some pre-Cruise time in Europe, which was all arranged by the Amex Travel Cruise Department thru the Crystal Cruise Air Department. Upon being informed by Crystal Cruise Line of the cancellation of our Cruise we contacted Amex Assurance Claims Department, But they were no help at all, and they offered no assistance to us. We were stranded in Europe with no flight options to get home. We had to purchase one way Biz class tickets to get home with no financial support of Amex or Crystal Cruise Company.

Upon our return to our home in Florida we filed a claim for our losses with Amex Assurance Company that issued the “Gold” Travel Insurance Policy to us. We submitted over 36 pages of documentation including the confirmation from Crystal Cruise Line why our Cruise was canceled. Our claim was denied as we were informed that since our Cruise was canceled due to a technical problem and not a weather related problem or a labor dispute within Crystal Cruise Line, we learned that the expensive Gold Travel Insurance Policy we purchased was a complete scam!

We filed an appeal because we learned that the reason the Lock was damaged by the Viking River Cruise Ship which subsequently canceled our Cruise was in fact weather related as a contributing factor as to why the collision took place. But our detailed Appeal to Amex Assurance Company was denied, and as we have now learned, these policies are full of loop holes that the Amex Assurance claims adjusters try to use to not pay for insurance benefits that in this situation we clearly are eligible to receive. Now I am out more than $25,000 in expenses and financial damages from this canceled cruise that Amex Assurance or Amex Travel Company (the company that recommended I purchase the Travel Insurance Policy for our cruise) have all refused to help me or reimburse me for any portion of our financial losses!

We are now looking for a good lawyer to help us to support a legal claim against Amex Travel Assurance Policies. Please contact me if you have any suggestions or recommendations of any reputable law firms that specialize in getting insurance benefits paid for travel Insurance policies from companies such as Amex Travel Assurance Company. Thank you, Bob **.

Original review: July 8, 2019

On June 13 we went to our local travel agent and booked a cruise. This required us to fly from Florida to Boston, cruise from there to Canada, and fly back from Canada to New York, then back to Florida. We bought a travel insurance policy that covered the WHOLE trip, air, cruise, hotels etc. Cost was $499. This was charged to our Amex card. The air tickets also charged to Amex were booked separately. All transactions were on the same day. A few days later I saw my AMEX bill online--saw 4 separate charges of $28.95 made the same day as the bookings. These were for AMEX TravelAssure for our air tickets insurance--2 flights each for my wife and I.

I called Amex on 6/28 as soon as I saw the charges. I spoke to 2 different agents in customer service--wanted to dispute the charges--said I did not need additional insurance, etc--They could see (and did see) on my bill that I already had travel insurance. They promised to file a dispute and removed us from the whole travel insurance program. Also said we could never join it again. I said ok. So today 7/8, I check my account online--see 4 $10.00 credits. Try to call Amex customer service--can NOT get a live person--"all reps are busy--we appreciate your patience" etc. 4 hours--no one to talk to. Snail mail comes--a letter from TravelAssure. Letter says my coverage terminated as of 6/28.

I call, finally get a live person who tries to explain that I had coverage from 6/13 to 6/28 so all I get is a partial credit. I try to reason with the agent--It is like talking to a stone wall--Said I should have put in a claim before--I explain I did not know about it and we have not taken the trip yet--I did not need the policy--ever. We went around around--got nowhere. She said the case was closed and nothing else could be done.

This was not the fault of our agent. She was not aware of the AMEX policy of charging double for travel insurance as was done in our case. But she is now and will be telling future customers about this. We are very senior citizens and have been AMEX customers for a whole lot of years. Just never used the card to book and pay for a whole vacation at once. Well--end of story--Will never use that card again for travel--will limit its use to the grocery store and McDonald's. Will never recommend TravelAssure to anyone and will tell them to avoid it at all costs. My opinion of AMEX is now that it is terrible--I can no longer recommend it to anyone. No customer service at all--We have other credit cards--Since Amex does not deserve our business they will not get it any longer.

Original review: June 29, 2019

I purchased American Express Travel Insurance 4 years ago when I decided to travel for South America. Because I got sickened and returned home after 2 weeks. I went to ER of nearby hospital and l filed the loss to the company through their secure website a few weeks after I started to get better. My loss was more than 10 flights and nonrefundable of hotel fees because those hotels are located in South America. Total charge I lost was somewhere $1500 to $2000. After spending ½ days for filing documents through American Express’s sere website, they mailed me that they don’t cover my loss whatever the reason. What I found was that “VISA” has a travel protection. So I contacted them and they mail me the claim form for my loss. I completed it and a month later, they mailed me a check “$1500”. No American Express Travel Insurance is a horrible. They take money and they don’t insure. They deceived me.

Original review: June 20, 2019

You may THINK you’re dealing with a reputable company, but they used a ridiculous loophole to avoid paying our claim- and we had the Gold Level!! Then when I called, the adjuster was arrogant, unhelpful and kept me on hold before again denying our claim. My husband and I have been Amex customers for years, and she said “that doesn’t make a difference.” Do NOT buy Amex Assurance Travel Insurance. And we are going to tear up our charge cards.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

We are Amex members for many years. We purchased travel insurance for an international vacation. In January 2019, we were at Atlanta, Georgia for a connecting flight to South America. We were at the Delta terminal in the process of boarding. Our 70-year-old cousin vomited clotted blood, her husband of 50 plus years went into panic mode. Delta Airlines alerted airport staff and called 911. We were unable to continue with our vacation, instead, we were taken to Hospital Emergency Room, we were there till the following morning- 8:30 am. After many tests, it was determined that our cousin was suffering from a pulmonary condition which required medical followup. The Doctor recommended patient be admitted.

We returned home, contacted Amex Travel Insurance- filed all required all paperwork with supporting medical documentation. Almost immediately we received the following decision: CLAIM DENIED- COUSINS ARE NOT COVERED, YOU SHOULD HAVE CONTINUED ON WITH YOUR VACATION. We are totally disgusted with Amex and would recommend others learn from our unfortunate experience.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

Oh man. Where to start. To be as succinct as possible: It started with them charging me double when I initially purchased the policy. From there, I had the extremely tedious process of filing claims from all the mishaps that happened throughout my travels. This took 4 hours in total, included 3 separate 4 page forms along with countless documents I submitted for evidence. To my shock and dismay, I received an initial "Claims outcome" email after a week (date: 10/20/18), stating that my claims required more time. This was a huge red flag that they were obviously doing everything they can to dive deeper and make a false claim for why they couldn't pay me. To no surprise, weeks later, (11/6/19), I received e-mails denying all claims except for (Around $1,000 in total), except for around $120.

Ironically nearly the exact amount the policy itself was worth. The second I saw that I knew that this company has absolutely no intention of paying anyone for any claims that exceed the amount of the policy. As a side note, I was on a tour when these incidents happened, and all other 15 people in my group were reimbursed for the troubles we encountered except for me. In addition to this, I've called this company FIVE times, the first being end of October and each call has totaled 45 minutes at the shortest.

Each time, I've let them know about the double charge for the policy and requested for reasoning behind my erroneously denied claims and each time, the agent has advised they have filed a grievance with the appropriate department and that I will be contacted in 5 days with a result. To this day: I've had NO callbacks, NO refund, NO assistance with my claims. This company has in total wasted 8 hours of my time trying to get answers, help, and my rightfully deserved money and I've yet to have any of that. I called again today to follow up, and she's let me know that "every agent has made an error in the past and that my issues will be attended to within 30 days" NOT OK.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I was planning a trip to South Africa with my wife for our 25th wedding anniversary. It was suggested to us to use South African Airways for our direct flight. Since this airline is in bankruptcy, and the reviews were moderate we decided to invest in travel insurance for the first time in our lives. I chose AmEx because I have been an active gold card carrier since 1972. The 2 weeks prior to our scheduled departure, I developed a slight cough and thought it might be due to all the vaccinations we have been receiving. I went to my doctor to get checked out and he prescribed an antibiotic.

After a few days the cough did not get any better so I went back to my Doctor and he had me take an X-ray. He said they saw a small gray spot on my lungs and thought I should see a pulmonologist. The Pulmonologist thought I had Valley Fever and prescribed a anti Fungal medicine. When I informed him that we were scheduled to leave in a few days, he suggested that we postpone our trip. I called the airline and was charged a 25% penalty but hey refunded the remaining balance. I called our travel company and they canceled our trip but had to charge us for the portion that was past the time of cancellation.

I had my Doctor write me a letter, I gathered all the charges and credits and only submitted for the actual amounts we lost. It has been almost 7 months and the AmEx insurance keeps finding reasons to deny our claim. We were being honest and upfront but this insurance company purposefully goes out of their way to not pay on a legitimate claim. They won't even refund the almost $2000 they charged us for the insurance policy. My advice to anyone and everyone is to avoid doing any business with this company. They love to fight you and since it comes to doing the right thing, trust me, they won't. Buyer beware!!! We just got taken twice...

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I got one of the best coverages and my plane was late so I missed the connection flight. Representative on the phone is really nice. Then starts hell. I got the letter with PDF and link where to submit proving documents. Link works, it lets me to the page where to submit documents and that is it. Not one of the files I tried is loading. Keeps giving me message, "You may try to scan the document again." I have 20 different files with same document already. It is clear as a day that this is insurance which doesn't cover. I do not recommend this insurance. From now on I will deal only with user-friendly insurance companies. Thanks for nothing, you had easy hundred dollars. Thinking to close my credit card with them.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

Well I stepped on rake twice! First time Amex Assurance Travel company screwed me in February 2018, I purchased Amex Travel Insurance policy for the trip on Lufthansa, and couldn't fly with multiple reasons including sickness. When Amex sell you policy it says 110% coverage with no question ask, and week after I received policy by email, with so many exclusions!? So Amex Assurance refused to honor the coverage and I lost $800! Second time I purchased Amex Travel Insurance policy in October 2018, and traveled to Ukraine for business. During the trip I got sick and had dental surgery, and had to stay extra week there! And Amex Assurance Travel company denied Trip Interruption coverage again, even I provided all documents!? Please stay away from Amex business! I won't let it go, will see my attorney today!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I travelled to Peru for a World Vets spay/neuter clinic in Cusco. I became ill and contacted Amex assurance. I was instructed to see a physician in Cusco and did. After three days I was still sick and knew my condition was more serious than diagnosed. I chose to fly home early and seek medical attention in the states. Amex denied my claim stating the doctor in Cusco did not state that my condition warranted me to return to the states. Really? I was incorrectly diagnosed and I am going to rely on this person to say what I need. Whoever you are and whatever your needs are I would never use this company ever again. Look elsewhere for travel insurance.

American Express Travel Insurance Company Information

American Express Travel Insurance
World Financial Center, 200 Vesey St.
New York