Find a Health Insurance partner

Help me decide

2.0/5 (6 ratings)
Find a Health Insurance partner

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

About American Republic Insurance Co.

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

American Republic Insurance Co. Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Republic Insurance Co.?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Republic Insurance Co.?

Original review: Jan. 26, 2010

I was contacted by the agent for American Republic after putting out a request for insurance for my trucking co. employees (which are also my son). I needed a policy that would cover my employee and their family needs. The agent came to my home office and sat down with all of us and went over the policy. We specifically asked about pregnancy and what was covered. The agent said to be safe, we could buy what he called prenancy unit, 1unit=$2,000.00 extra over policy for pregnancy. We took the maximum offered (4 units).

We thought we were set. When we needed the pregnancy part, the problems began. They told us that they didn't pay anything until after the baby was born and they knew the outcome (healthy baby, miscarriage, etc). Then when confronted, we were told that they would only pay $2,000.00 on the whole pregnancy. 1 unit because the unit coverage are stepped up in 2 year increment, 1 unit every 2 years of coverage (first 2yrs=$2000.00, 4 yrs =$4,000.00, etc. up to 8 yrs=$8,000.00). We were told none of this by the agent or his regional boss. That's right, we talked to both before we bought policies. Due to this, we are looking at a huge bill. My premiums for the 7 people I had policies on was $949.00 a month. If I would have known all the facts, I would not have bought this policy over the last 18 month. I could have paid the bill now owed.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2009

We switched to American Republic insurance in Dec. 2008. The agent told us numerous times that the policy would mirror what we had had with Blue Cross. We would pay a higher deductible ($5800) and then everything after that would be covered. My husband is a physician and he and I both (as well as his office manager) met with the agent at least 5 times before signing. Our cheeks were swabbed so we could get the best rate. HA, what a joke! And to the person on this site who suggested that people are dishonest and not disclosing all info when they apply for insurance...you are WRONG! This company and their agents are horrible. I was diagnosed with breast cancer in March and it has been a nightmare ever since. The insurance company refuses to pay for practically anything, saying "a rider was not purchased for this service." After telling the agent about my family history, he told us NO PROBLEM. Well, it has been a problem! While they will pay for my chemo drugs (not without a fight) they wont cover the pre meds for nausea or the drugs to treat a possible allergic reaction. They wont cover my weekly blood draws or even the scans I had to have in order to stage my cancer. The drug I needed to keep my white blood cell count up so I dont end up in the hospital is $1000.00 an injection. I have had about 20, NOT COVERED! Every day we receive EOB's stating "not covered." They even fought over the anesthesia I received during my surgeries. I suppose I should have brought a bullet????? We are now working with an attorney in order to get them to pay these bills which total more than $50,000 so far and Im not even close to finished with my treatment. We have also contacted the Insurance Commisioner. Our attorney told us to find another insurer because she cant be sure we are covered for anything at this point! It has been horrible, plus we continue to pay our HIGH monthly premium for NOTHING! We did EVERYTHING right from the beginning and were obviously lied to. We are also going after the agent that sold us this policy because it is not worth the paper it is printed on. BEWARE!

Original review: April 10, 2009

My son's premiums are around $800 per quarter, just for him! We have had this insurance for years. They change their PPO every time they get a chance and never notify their policy holders of the changes. Consequently, numerous policy holders are paying out of network deductibles, because they have no idea the company has changed their PPOs. I find them extremely difficult to work with, and have taken as long as 12 months to pay claims! Their workers are rude and unknowledgeable. The last one I spoke with, Lee, couldn't even find providers for us when she looked! They do not cover the children's hospital, so I guess insured children should be treated as adults in American Republic's opinion. This is impossible! So we, as the consumer, get to pay the difference, if we have children who are hospitalized at the Children's Hospital! My son's rates have quadrupled in the past two years. There was nothing hidden on the application; we were honest about everything.

I am dropping them and recommend that every other consumer drop them too so they go out of business and stop ripping off the consumers! They are rated C or maybe even a D by now. We were told by our agent that they are on the verge of bankruptcy. People complain about a $30 increase? Try quadrupling your current premium and paying $800 per person! Insurance companies like American Republic are part of the healthcare problem. I would like to know why some people are only paying a quarter of the premiums for their family, which we are paying for our son.

Original review: March 30, 2009

I have a rental agreement with rac and have been renting @ this store since Nov.2005. I was offered this insurance when I paid off one thing and rented another. I turned it down. In Dec. 29th of 2008 my husband had a heart attach and we did not have the insurance and they deffered my payment for one week. When I went into the store the following week I spoke with Kimberly and asked her if this would have been covered by the insurance? she replied everything is covered. so the folling wk Jan.10, 2009 I started the insurance and my rental went up to 106.00 a wk.I have paid this amount until my husband was laid off on feb. 12, 2009 at which time I got out my book and gathered all the information that was needed and did what I was told .I took it to the store and gave it to rusty ( who has done everything possible to help me with this problem). on wen. march 25th I rec'd a call from rusty on my answering machine to please call him. well when I got back in from work on thur. I called and rusty was off that day and I spoke with Kim and she said we have been turned down buy the insurance company for our claim which has now been (feb.14,2009 file date)42 days.

Original review: March 24, 2009

I listened to my agent. He deposited the check and told me the premium would be drafted monthly. My agent delivered my policy and explained it to me, page by page, so that I understood that what coverage I applied for is what I got.

Maybe these complaints on here are due to incompetent agents rather than a bad company.
Original review: March 6, 2009

I have nothing good to say about American Republic Insurance. We applied in Aug 2004. In Sept 2005 we were notified that our rate went from $288.95 to $342.87. The form letter stated that Continued rising health care costs are a major contributing factor for this increase. Don't forget the $8.00 administration fee charged every month. In Mar. 2006 we got another letter. This time it was increased to $390.39 plus the $8.00 for the same reasonas mentioned. Again in September 2006 it was raised to $421.80. See a pattern? Mar. 2007; $480.59. To shorten this long tale the last increase was Mar. 2009 and the rates are now $826.38 per month including the Administration fee. The same reason was given in each form letter. All the letters state that a 21% discount was given to reward health conscious customers. That is an increase of $529.43 per month since sept. 2005. During that time peroid I had to decrease my health coverage in an attempt to lower the payments. I carry $5,000 deductable. I find the company to be difficult to deal with and would never recommend them.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2009

I have to after reading some of this to take it with a grain of salt. I have never had any problem with American Republic. Probably because when I filled out the application, I did not lie and I remembered my past medical history. Policies don't just double unless something came up on the investigative report (MIB). The people in Reno, Nevada showed up on time and always call me back within a reasonable time period. I truly feel that most of the BS I am reading here is because people don't take the time to read the policy, ask questions and most of all, remember what you were told and remember what you have read or read it again. Health insurance is confusing so if people would only pay attention, it would be understood. Here's one thing I noticed about this website. Is this just a rant forum designed to create referals for attorneys ? Of course it is. Think about the disclosures below.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2009

I purchased insurance from American Republic from the District Sales Mgr. Kris Wilcoxen. He told me I would get good discounts from using the PPO network up to 70% off doctor services. But I got discounts up to 90% off services and its been hard to hit my deductible when you get really big discounts. Everytime I call him he is very friendly and knowledgeable but one time he was 5 minutes late for our appointment. He locked my rates in for 3 years and when the 3 years was up he called me and relocked my rates in for another 3 years but now its $30 more than what it was three years ago. I mean come on i'm not made of money!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2009

Following up from my last complaint on 12/20/2008. After filing a complaint against American republic on 12/20/2008, a state (Indiana) representative by the Name of Heath Baily contact us 12/24/2008 and told us he would be working to resolve this issue with us and the Insurance company. But as of yet nothing has been resolved and it is very difficult to get him to return our calls.

We were under the impression that we were purchasing a policy with a high deductible that after reaching the deductible the insurance would pick up 100%. When the sales rep T. Randolph signed us up he also told us that we would receive a lab card and to be sure all labs were through this card. So I started getting all blood work done at this particular lab with the lab card and all my lab claims have been denied. After trying to use this policy we are finding out that it supposedly does not cover any out patient testing. Now days all testing is done as an out patient. We are not insurance savy but were under the impression that we were getting coverage equivalent to what we had with Anthem Blue Cross, but since we have tried to use this policy, we are finding out that it pays for very little. We feel that we were sold a VERY POOR Policy and the true value of this policy was not disclosed to us at the time of the sale. The insurance salesman highlighted and checked important areas on the policy for us at the time of sale, but failed to highlight the items that were not covered and that each time you walk in to the hospital even if for the same issue you would be charged an additional $500 co pay.
Original review: Dec. 31, 2008

My family has been using American Republic Insurance for several years. They have been great! The medical offices that we use have always honored the Explanantion of Benefits which American Republic sends out fairly quickly in response to claims. Whenever I've called American Republic to ask a question I get helped quickly, efficiently and politely. I'm sorry others have had such a bad experience. I wish that they could experience the good side of this company.

American Republic Insurance Co. Company Information