4.2/5 (11237 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Kathryn Parkman
Edited by Jon Bortin

About American Home Shield

American Home Shield is a home warranty company with over 1.8 million customers. It provides home service contracts that cover major home systems and appliances and offers additional protection for electronics and select maintenance services. The company has access to a network of over 17,000 licensed contractors and has paid out over $2 billion in claims over the past five years.

Pros

• 30-day workmanship guarantee
    • Flexible payment options
    • Does not require maintenance records

Cons

• Not available in Alaska
    • Some customer service complaints

Bottom Line

American Home Shield offers three warranty plans to cover systems and appliances, regardless of age. AHS provides additional coverage for electronics, pools or spas, and roof leak repairs.

American Home Shield Reviews

Over 50k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
    Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

The tech from Advanced Home Services was very nice and everything was taken care of right here. But I don't like American Home Shield. I've had them for years and every time the techs come, whatever's wrong with something, that's not covered. AHS said my microwave is covered as long as it works inside. I said it’s the whole front seal off it and it can't be fixed because they can't get a part. They wouldn't replace it and I had to go buy a microwave. They wanted me to sit with this ugly thing in my kitchen, with its gears showing.

It was the same thing with the refrigerator. I had a problem and AHS doesn't do the icemaker in the front because it's an add-on. I said I can’t take it off the fridge. It's part of the fridge. I had to buy a whole new refrigerator because of these people. So, I'm not happy because they don't cover most of the stuff that goes wrong. They find that little technicality. I know I'm gonna have to replace my dishwasher because they've had techs coming out here and they said it was working. But there's no water pressure so it's not cleaning anything. So, I haven't used the dishwasher in a while because I don't want to keep buying every appliance now. For the whole time in this house, I’ve had AHS for 16 years and I probably had it in my other house. But it's gotten to the point that everything I need, they don't cover so they won't replace it. So, it has cost me a lot of money. My neighbor across the street said he finally got disgusted and canceled them.

American Home Shield response

Hi Marianne, We appreciate you sharing your warranty experience. My name is Chapie’l and I will be emailing you my contact information. I would like to speak with you more about your concerns.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

American Home Shield is a bit expensive, but their service is better than others that was why I switched. They respond a little bit fast. I like it. They use very good companies who come on time. Having American Home Shield, I only need to pay $100 for a repair. But if they can lower the price, it will be better. They increased their price a little bit.

American Home Shield response

We are grateful for the time that you've taken to share you AHS experience. Please let us know if you need any assistance in regards to your warranty. Have a great week.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

My recent claim was for a new faucet that was leaking. The tech was very good. There was no mess.

American Home Shield response

We appreciate you taking time to share your warranty experience. We look forward to handling your AHS needs. Have an amazing week.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

The AC's fuse needed to be replaced. The tech came out and called us at our home. We were in Seattle. It was down in Arizona. So, he followed right through. He was right on it. He did good.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

So far, service has been good. Also I've noticed that a lot of the companies they contract with are independents or small firms and it's nice to have those. Also, we've had good responses having people come to the house. The techs have been able to fix issues or tell us what's wrong. Recently, I had an issue with the AC unit. The tech diagnosed it fast and replaced that particular unit.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

The serviceman who came out here for the water heater coils that were bad was informative. He let me know exactly what was going on the whole time. They took care of it real quick.

American Home Shield response

We are happy to know that AHS is beneficial to you. Thanks for sharing your warranty experience. Have great week.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

American Home Shield's service is good, and I enjoy it. Every time I call them, they get stuff ready and in time. Recently, the ice maker broke and the contractor they sent was good. He was a real nice guy, and he fixed the ice maker, but there was no water coming through the line. However, that was on my end because where the water was supposed to be coming out wasn't coming out. I had to have a plumber come out and reline the whole thing. I recommend Home Shield all the time to other people. They're doing a good job.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

When I used the policy in the beginning, it was great. But when I recently used it, it's not the service that I was used to as far as getting a response back and answering questions. I made a claim because my microwave was sparking and it was a loud enough spark that anyone in my house would hear it. I called someone to come out and when he tested it out, nothing happened. Two days later, the same thing happened again but I didn't call them back out. Calling someone out for $100 was expensive and to have it not be fixed got me to the point where I decided that I was not going through the policy again. It wasn't worth the risk and I just bought a new microwave.

Other than that, I've had a point where I've had something replaced completely and AHS sent out techs who had been pretty thorough as far as plumbing goes. So, it comes down to who comes out and looks at the issue, and if they could stay on top of the types of service. Not to say the guy that came and look at my microwave wasn't good. But at that point, that's something we use every day and it was something that I would have liked to be taken care of immediately.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

AHS sends people out to fix my stuff with no problem and the people do their jobs. A most recent claim was when my refrigerator had a cracked ice bin and it was not working at all. A tech came out and put some kind of red light in the refrigerator. He said it needed some parts ordered. But when he went back to American Home Shield, he told them nothing was wrong with my refrigerator. AHS sent me a new contractor, KN Repair, and I got a new refrigerator. It took about a week to get processed and they sent me something similar to the refrigerator that I had.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

Myers had to come twice for my AC unit. The last guy that came out was more explainable and did pretty good. The first one did good too, but he didn't explain. He just came and did his job. But overall, I didn't have an issue with Myers. I appreciate American Home Shield. They've been going out and I don't have the stress of what I'm gonna do if something happens. I thank them for all the years of making sure that I was okay.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

The air conditioner wasn't cooling down. It would stop at a certain temperature and then it would kick back at about another five degrees higher. I filed a claim online. It was late on a Sunday night when I did it and they called me on Monday. The contractor, Fleshers Refrigeration, said they would be out the following day. We were the first appointment on their agenda. Their service was excellent when they came out.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

I had a leak and the AC was clogged. I called AHS and it was very difficult to get through them. I had to wait almost a week later. The people that I got recommended to were no longer serving AHS so I had to call back. The contractor list that they have is not updated and that put me three days behind. Then, when I called the people that are supposed to come, it took them three more days to come to the house. But the people that came to the house were very professional. They cut some pipes and they unclogged the pipe that was clogged.

American Home Shield response

Thanks for sharing your warranty experience. Please let us know if you need if you need assistance. Have an amazing week.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

There were still some problems with the AC. The coils have frozen over. The tech wants them to thaw out and he will be back on Friday to finish the repairs. He told us that we would need to turn the AC off between 24 and 48 hours before he returns. But it's so nice to know that we don't have to search around town to find someone to repair our home appliances. That’s what we love about American Home Shield. Also, the customer service line is always knowledgeable, friendly and helpful. The crew that they sent out to us was marvelous. And we love the communication lines and the total package.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

American Home Shield was the top-rated company that I found. We had a big problem with a pipe the first couple of months that we lived here. And besides the $100 service charge that we were charged, AHS covered everything else. They sent multiple technicians out and all of them were extremely helpful, on time and courteous.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

Having American Home Shield is worthwhile. The contractor gave me a phone call, scheduled the appointment. They were quick, very friendly, and did a good job.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

American Home Shield sent someone who worked on my air conditioner. We needed it working, and it's working now, so we're okay with it. The tech was very professional. He did what needed to be done and he asked questions about it.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

When things go bad, you never really plan for it, so American Home Shield is helpful. You feel good that it’s taken care of when it’s done. Some of the stuff, I have no idea how to do, and other stuff I do, but I just don’t have time. Also, the cost that goes along with it.

Recently, the washing machine was not spinning. I put the request in on one day, and the initial service provider that AHS assigned to me couldn’t get out for a couple of days. It was a washing machine, so it’s not a huge deal. But when it’s inconveniencing you, it becomes a huge deal. It was a day longer than they were supposed to.

The vendor said, “We can't come for three days.” That’s unacceptable. So, I called back AHS. They said, “We need to talk to them. And they need to cancel the service order in order for us to dispatch somebody else.” And I said, “Why do we have to wait for them to call you back? That's the problem in the first place, they're not being service oriented.” So, I had to wait. And by the time did, it was the end of the day. So, that day was lost. And I finally got ahold of AHS at the end of the day, “Now that you’re putting us in, by the time you get ahold of the new service person, it's gonna end up being two days anyways.” So, I still ended up waiting three days. But I felt more comfortable with the new service provider because at least they answered their phone, and replied. They had a text service. I got ahold of somebody, versus the initial dispatched company which didn’t get it. That was long-winded.

The guy got here within the range that he said. He sent a message saying that he was on his way. He was super helpful as far as educational, saying what was going on, explained what the process was, and what he would have to do. He ended up having to replace the motor in the unit, but had that on his truck. It was helpful because I provided them with the make and model of the unit before they came out. So, this particular guy was good.

I’ve been with AHS for a while, so I’ve become accustomed to some of the ups and downs with their service. I equate them to a health insurance company. When you're trying to get a claim approved or paid, you have to be an advocate for yourself. Otherwise, it's hard. They've improved their hold times, which has been nice. But there were times when to get ahold of somebody to put a request in was forever. And this was before you could go online and submit a request. So, that has been an improvement. But I have to be an advocate for some of this stuff to get covered.

One time, I had to call the corporate office to complain about something because they just kept denying it. I said, “There’s no way this should be denied, listed on the contract.” And whoever the agents were, sometimes were not English speaking. There was a language barrier between what was trying to be done, and they kept denying me. It was maddening because it was just a disconnect from a language barrier. I ended up doing a Google search on AHS home office phone numbers, and finally got ahold of somebody. That's how crazy it made me. I was like, “Who’s got this kind of time in a day when they're trying to work to deal with it?” Especially when you're paying monthly for it, and when you need it, they would say, “Sorry, I can’t help you.” That's not how it's gonna work.

I’m paying $80 a month now for the service, which has gone up substantially, too, over time, which is just the cost of business. But if I save $80 a month times 12 months, could I be paying for this stuff the one time a year that I use them? I'm sure I could go on my own account and look up how often I have used these guys, versus how much I've paid. But I've started to think like that now, with the way the economy is. I'm spending X amount of dollars each month, and it's almost voluntarily, or it’s by choice, what do I pull back on?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
    Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

I hate that I got American Home Shield. I was thinking about going with somebody else because I've always had problem after problem with them. It's very disheartening to me to go through the things that I go through with them. The AC was blowing out warm air. I called AHS and set the claim up like that. It was easy once I got through, but it's very difficult when I can't understand the reps. It's very hard to distinguish what they say.

AHS sent the order to Budget, who came back and said that they couldn't get to me within three days. I told them that it was not sufficient, because I take care of somebody in my home, and I need the air. It was 99 degrees. It would be like that that day and the rest of the week, so a whole another week. AHS said that they would put in for emergency. They would escalate it. I said, “Did they do that?” They said no. She said, “I’ll try my best to send somebody. Maybe I'll put you on the wait list for somebody to come out. Would it be okay with you if you do it on a Saturday?” I said that was fine. They said, “But you do know, if that's an emergency with AHS, they're going to charge you extra for it.” I asked how much extra. She said, “It’s whatever amount was worth on Saturday and Sunday, if we're closed.” I said, “Aren't you open?” She said yes. I said, “Then that wouldn't fall up under that.” “Yeah, but their guidelines, you would.” All right.

I hung up, called AHS back and said, “Hey, I asked you guys to escalate this, because my sister lives with me. My sister has seizures. And one of the things that triggers my sister’s seizures is heat. She cannot be hot. So I keep it cold in my house for that reason. I have to have my air on.” And I asked, “Did they escalate it?” They said, “No, they did not.” So, that particular person said, “I'm going to do it.” She did it. She said, “They'll be out tomorrow,” and gave me a time. I asked, “Do I have to pay extra because it's on a weekend?” She said no, because they're open on the weekend. She said, "I'll take care of that too.” So, she called them.

Next day, I had to call Budget back because they didn't know anything about it. And it just so happened, the guy was finishing up another customer. She told him, and he said, “Tell her I'm on my way.” The contractor wasn't even there for 10 minutes. He came out and said that it was the capacitor, and that was it. He went downstairs. He told my daughter. I went in the bathroom and used the restroom. When I came back out, he was gone.

AHS didn't do right by me, as far as even with my refrigerator. That was the last claim that I made. They took my money and that was it. I paid for a service call and I didn't get what I was supposed to get. I can't stay with somebody who doesn't stand by their warranty. How often would I need somebody to come in my house to fix something? It’s not often. So, AHS is getting money from me every month. It comes out of my account every month, never late. And when I need them, they're not there for me.

American Home Shield response

Hi Alisha, We appreciate you sharing your warranty experience. My name is Chapie’l and I will be emailing you my contact information. I would like to speak with you more about your concerns.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

Service is excellent. When things arise, I just have to call one person instead of calling around to get several people. The AC wasn't cooling the house and I got a call from the techs stating when they would be coming. The tech's service was great. He was very professional and friendly. They were ready and he had the part that was needed. It was amazing.

American Home Shield response

Hello Tammy, We really appreciate you taking time to share your warranty experience. We look forward to handling your future AHS needs. Have an amazing week.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

In our previous home, we had a different home warranty and we were not very impressed with them. I’m so glad that our Realtor broker suggested American Home Shield. Within a few weeks of moving in, our septic system broke. They’re sending out really great service providers. Even as I’m reading reviews of the different companies they’re sending out, everybody else is having great experiences with them. With our previous provider, I would constantly read reviews and everybody they were sending out constantly had bad reviews.

When our oven went out, we thought it was an electrical issue. American Home Shield sent out an electrician and the electrician said everything was fine. They just sent it over to whoever was in charge of ovens and it was just seamless. I didn’t have to fight or argue or have any problems. It was just nice. They immediately took care of us and I did not have to pay another $85 for a different service provider to come out. They sent out the person who came and fixed the oven. It was a fuse problem and he fixed the fuse. It was easy and really nice.

Another service provider we had was J-Star and their plumber was great. He had a lot he had to come in and fix. I had a sink where I had to turn off the cold water because I had a cold water leak underneath the sink. My garbage disposal wasn’t working as well. I also had an entire toilet where the screw that goes from the floor to the toilet was broken. It was moving and leaking. The plumber took that off and replaced the wax seal then put a new screw on. He was in and out in 45 minutes. It was easy and simple.

My washing machine was also making some weird smell so he looked at it. I had already done some troubleshooting based on what the washing machine said to do when it makes a weird smell, like move up the drain hose. He gave me some additional tips so that if the machine was doing it again, I would know what to do or I could call him back. Initially, I was nervous because plumbing issues are so finicky. But that went smoothly. Every time we had a problem, American Home Shield sent good people out. It’s been easy and seamless. I always check first so I know whether it’s generally covered. So far, they have been covered.

American Home Shield response

Thanks for sharing your warranty experience. Please let us know if you need if you need assistance. Have an amazing weekend.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

My dishwasher stopped working and then one burner for my stove stopped working too. They fixed them both on the same day. They ordered the part and in a week, they came back with the new parts. It was great.

American Home Shield response

Hi Josefina, One of our main objectives is to provide exceptional service and a quick resolution to all of your home warranty needs. Your feedback regarding your recent experiences with us is greatly appreciated. We look forward to serving you in the future as needed. Take Care

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

I serviced the AC units about two months before and the guy told me they were fine. Then one of the units stopped blowing completely. The other one was blowing cold air but it was not as cold. So the guy came out and he fixed both of them within 20 minutes. He swapped out the little battery pack unit for one unit. Then for the other one, he showed me the board was burned out. He ordered the board and they resolved it last week. It was working fine.

I did the claim online and American Home Shield's website was pretty friendly. I have never really logged into the website, so I had to create a password real quick. I created it and it went in. It was pretty simple to use. Then they sent me a text and they sent me who the contractor was gonna be. The contractor contacted me and then it took them about four days to show up. It was kinda hot the whole two months. But they said that was the soonest they could get me in. They gave me a little bit of information and then they took care of it. They did a great job. American Home Shield is worth it. It's fast and usable.

American Home Shield response

Hello Efrain, We aim to provide a service that takes the hassle out of homeownership. Your feedback regarding your recent experiences with us is greatly appreciated. We look forward to serving you in the future as needed. Take Care.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

American Home Shield is very responsive. The folks that came out were very responsive, too. So so far, very good. We had to get the ductwork disconnected so the plumber could come back out, but what I decided to do is go with the plumbing firm that connected with the HVAC firm. I did not go back to the plumber, but he was very nice and inquisitive and was great.

American Home Shield response

Patricia, We really appreciate you taking time to share your warranty experience. We look forward to handling your future AHS needs. Have an amazing weekend.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

Our AC was working great. Then all of a sudden, it just wasn't working at all. I called AHS to submit a claim because I was having trouble using the website. They set it all up for me. It was a great experience. It had been about a week from the time that I had called to the time that the techs came out. But he said, "I'm really glad that you called because I'm gonna be at Ellijay, and I was just going to stop by." He said that he would be over that day between 3 and 6 o'clock and he was. He checked the thermostat. Then he went outside. He said it was an electrical issue and he fixed it. AHS just gives us peace of mind. We've had issues in other houses where we've lived and we've always had a home warranty and it pays for itself if there's an issue. Sometimes there is not, but you, at least, have the assurance that if it was, it wouldn't take your emergency fund.

American Home Shield response

I am happy to hear that we were able to resolve your claim. Thanks for sharing your AHS experience. Please let us know if you need assistance regarding your warranty.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

The techs knew what they were doing. They got the part in and it works. So far, AHS has been all good. We get services and we don't have to worry about trying to find a person for whatever we need.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

We had the house rekeyed. The tech was very professional and friendly. He changed the locks on three outside doors. I got very good service. We've had a good experience with AHS. The warranty was easy to use.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

The contractor was supposed to look at the bathtub first because the water was backing up. But they did nothing about that. They just took out the little drainage and cleaned it and said, “Well, every time you take a shower, whatever, bath, just clean it out.” They didn't snake the drain to begin with. Also with my other shower, the cold water wasn't coming on and it was just hot water. They said, “We have to go to the attic and check that out to see the connections and all of that,” but they never did any of that. They wanted to charge me more and they never got back with me. I'm very disappointed with American Home Shield.

My nephew got on the lane and explained to AHS. They sent out another company. The second company has better reviews. They were supposed to come on a Friday but they called and said they couldn't make it. They would come on a Monday instead. When they came, I was just as disappointed with them as I was with the first company because they did nothing either.

American Home Shield response

Hi Gloria, We appreciate you sharing your warranty experience. My name is Chapie’l and I will be emailing you my contact information. I would like to speak with you more about your concerns.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

American Home Shield is reliable and they do a good job. The last claim that I made was when my ceiling fan was wobbly. I just called it in and it was easy. They told me who was going to be coming and that he would contact me when he was on his way. My ceiling fan had one wrong screw in one of the blades, and one of the blades was ready to fly off. The repairman had to take it apart, and everything went really smooth.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

My washing machine was not working. It wasn't draining and it wasn't spinning or doing anything. The fabric softener also never went in when I ran the machine and it was making really loud noises. I submitted a claim over the internet, and it was very convenient. When the tech came out, he fixed the machine then told me what was wrong. There was a piece of clothing stuck in the drain.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

I'm satisfied with American Home Shield. It's a peace of mind to know that if something was to go wrong, it would be taken care of. Recently, the refrigerator was leaking water. They sent a refrigerator repair, and it was done well. The tech was very thorough and didn't rush. He explained everything and was very knowledgeable.

American Home Shield Company Information