4.3/5 (13185 ratings)
Author picture
Written by
Edited by

About American Home Shield

American Home Shield is a home warranty company with over 1.8 million customers. It provides home service contracts that cover major home systems and appliances and offers additional protection for electronics and select maintenance services. The company has access to a network of over 17,000 licensed contractors and has paid out over $2 billion in claims over the past five years.

Pros

• 30-day workmanship guarantee
    • Flexible payment options
    • Does not require maintenance records

Cons

• Not available in Alaska
    • Some customer service complaints

Bottom Line

American Home Shield offers three warranty plans to cover systems and appliances, regardless of age. AHS provides additional coverage for electronics, pools or spas, and roof leak repairs.

American Home Shield Reviews

Over 50k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?

Original review: Jan. 14, 2023

I had a claim for the washer that Axus Appliance Repair came out for. Their tech is absolutely wonderful and a real craftsman. He has fixed my refrigerator and dryer. He's very detail oriented, he knows what he needs to do, he shows up when he says he will, and he cleans up after himself. I'm a happy camper. The claim when my HVAC unit went out was a nightmare, though. I was having company coming in and it became a debacle. I hired my own HVAC guy to come in. That was my only bad experience with AHS.

Candace,

Our main objective is to provide exceptional service and a quick resolution to all of your home warranty needs.
    Your feedback regarding your recent experiences with us is greatly appreciated. We look forward to servicing you in the future as needed.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2023

American Home Shield works. They're a reputable company and I've been continuing to use them. I have a couple of rental properties, and I don't have to hunt around to find a contractor if something goes wrong with one of the properties. I just submit a claim through American Home Shield and they take care of it. When my water heater stopped working, I immediately submitted a claim. A repairman came and he talked me all the way through the resolution. He troubleshot the problem. My pilot light went out, and he re-lit it. However, there are some things in the contract that are questionable that could be better explained. I had an incident with one of my rental properties where the contract said that the water heater was covered. But there was something else that had to be done in conjunction with replacing the water heater. Although the contract didn't specifically say that it wasn't covered, American Home Shield refused to cover it so I had to pay out of pocket.

American Home Shield response

We are grateful for the time that you've taken to share you AHS experience. Please let us know if you need any assistance in regards to your warranty. Have a great week.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2023

My furnace wasn't heating anymore and we didn't know what was going on. The tech was fantastic. The issue ended up being a transformer. He had one on his truck and he repaired the issue. It was quick, easy and painless. With AHS, I like the convenience of knowing that my stuff is covered and I don't have a $5,000 expense out of my pocket at random time when I may not have $5,000 sitting around.

Also, I couldn't be happier with the vendors. I've had other home protection plan companies that were sending out people that weren't the greatest. Knowing that AHS is sending people out who know what they are doing and who already have the parts on their trucks, it's really nice to have that convenience.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2023

American Home Shield is a SCAM, Beware. do not buy a home warranty from them. It has been 10 days and I still have no hot water. Took them 7 days to determine that they have no person contracted in my area (no surprise there). Another 2 days I can find my own contractor. They approve the contractor BUT they need to order the parts. 4 days and counting no parts. I was told they were ordered but they were not. I called back in three times and now their parts department is not receiving calls only making outgoing calls. 11 days tomorrow no hot water. They are a call center outsourced overseas. Waste of money!

American Home Shield response

We appreciate you sharing your home warranty experience. I apologize for the inconvenience we've caused you. My name is Stacy and I will email you shortly as I would like to speak to you more about your concerns.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2023

My heater went out back in November and I submitted the claim to American Home Shield, and it had to be replaced because it was an older unit that no longer uses R22 with it. Submitting the claim to AHS was very easy. I went to their website, put in my information, and submitted the claim, which took about five minutes at the most. Within about two hours, I was getting a phone call back from them and I was also getting a dispatch within that same day as well for an appointment. It was a great company that came out to the house. They were quick and professional and when they were doing the installation, they followed through.

David,

Original review: Jan. 13, 2023

My washing machine wasn't working as it would not drain. In a day or two, a tech came and he was great. He was super knowledgeable and fixed the washing machine. He even showed me how to fix the unit myself in the future. American Home Shield has always done a good job for me. The technicians always come out within a good timeframe, and they've never not fixed the problem. My pool and my well are covered so if something happens with the pool, technicians will come out and fix it. Everything's fine and I'm very pleased.

Courtney,

Original review: Jan. 13, 2023

We'd be out thousands of dollars without AHS, so I think they're great. We've had claims for our AC and on the week before last, for our kitchen sink. The techs we've worked with were great. We're selling our house and when we buy another house, we will be getting AHS there.

Stephanie,

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
    Original review: Jan. 13, 2023

If something breaks down in the house, I call them and they're the first ones to say they can't fix it. I have to tell them it's completely broken and it's not even working. For instance, the dryer just went out. I told the rep it was making a lot of noise and the rep asked if it was working. I said it was. She asked if it was running and I said it was. She said they couldn't help me if it was running. It's got to be completely down. Also, I had problems with the fan on the back of the stove and they said that the vent doesn't come inside the stove and they couldn't fix it. The tech told me that this vent is so old, that they don't want to replace it. AHS is a good thing to have if you understand what they mean. But it's those black lines that you don't read. My year is coming up and I would like to have more protection and do a better plan.

American Home Shield response

I apologize for the inconvenience we've caused. My name is Stacy and I will contact you about your ongoing concerns.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2023

The last time Mae Dae Electric came out, it was for the bathroom vent that's going in and out. But the guy didn't fix it so I had to call them back out. They're supposed to be here today. American Home Shield helps me out a lot when things break. They're good about replacing things if it can't be fixed. The only thing is the co-pay has gone up a lot in the past year.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2023

American Home Shield sends me some interesting contractors to solve some problems. Some of them are good, and some of them are not so good. I've had a couple of electricians come out and look at problems. One of the problems was a panel and one of them was a couple of outlets that had gone out in the main house, and they managed to fix that. Then there was some other electrical related problems that were in the garage, which, according to the contract, are not part of the main house, so they couldn't fix that.

Sometimes, it's hard when you go online to American Home Shield's website to identify what the problem is specifically. I recall this with the electrical issue, the options they give don't necessarily correlate with the problem, and so you've got to either phone them or sort of make something up. Sometimes, that doesn't work. At least once, the electrician came out thinking that the problem was one thing but it wasn't, and it was something else. But other than that, the service is fine.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2023

I asked to repair our electric outlet boxes. Getting through to a rep was very easy and the contractor was excellent. I'm happy with how everything is functioning now. I definitely will recommend Home Shield. Customer service is really active in helping me with my problem.

American Home Shield response

Thank you for sharing your AHS experience. We are available 24 hours daily to service your home warranty needs. Have an amazing week.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2023

On two occasions I have contacted AHS for service requests. The first time it took over 3 weeks for repairs on my heat pump and they (AHS) dispatched 4 different repair companies before they finally dispatched one that was authorized to work on my Carrier Infinity heat pump even though they were told multiple times what system I had. I suspect it would have taken even longer had I not been calling for updates and escalating the issue.

My second service request to AHS has now been open for 20 days and has been waiting on the AHS repair "authorization" for 7 days. When you call their customer service number, none of the agents can do anything except send emails to the authorization department to get a status. They state that the authorizations department will not talk to anyone except the service technicians. So you get the same answer each time; "It is still waiting on authorization". This is the worst home warranty company that I have ever dealt with.

Ron,

Thanks for sharing your warranty experience. I apologize for the inconvenience we've caused you. My name is Robert and I would like to speak to you more about your claim.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2023

I do NOT recommend using American Home Shield as their customer service department is horrible and what they cover is very limited and is hidden in fine print. I had put in a service request back in April 2022, a repair company was assigned to it and they found I needed coils replaced in my 2 units. The parts were ordered, the repair company came on site to do the install, but had only 1 of 2 coils with them, so they didn't do the work. Since then AHS has claimed that the parts are on backorder and each time I call they say this is not an open work order. They each promise to investigate and get back to me, which has never happened. This spans over a dozen phone calls attempting to get some status. To buy and install 2 AC coils it still requires me to pay over $2K in service fees. I have attempted to write their CEO as I can not getting any response from the customer service department.

Thomas,

Original review: Jan. 12, 2023

I thought it would be more economical to have a home warranty just in case there were some breakdowns in my home that I would not necessarily want to have that extra expense for paying. The deductible with American Home Shield seemed to be quite fair for the work that they do on an occasional basis. I've had one bad experience several years ago when I waited almost three months for a part that should have been in. The other experiences have been good. Recently, C&D came for the oven that would not come on. It was more of just a glitch but as soon as they came out, they repaired it. So, it was quite a speedy repair, and it was very economical.

David,

Original review: Jan. 12, 2023

My furnace was having problems working. It would sit there and spool up. It wasn't running so I did a claim on American Home Shield's website, which was very easy. I was given the contractor's phone number and they called me and scheduled the service. They were friendly. A technician came out and he swapped out a pressure switch and a capacitor, and the furnace worked again. My furnace is now operational. American Home Shield has been good so far.

Max,

Original review: Jan. 12, 2023

We've had good experiences. That's why we keep going with American Home Shield. It takes a long time to get through sometimes. I better wait until I have three hours to wait on hold. And sometimes it takes a long time, like outside of 2020. That’s to be expected. But we were without an oven for three months waiting for AHS to figure out if they would offer it or if they would find the part. Sometimes it's very timely. And everybody's on top of things. But we have had things fall through the cracks a couple of times over the 10 years. But that has been the exception. We had one technician that forgot to turn something in. But for the most part, things are good with the technicians.

The biggest benefit for us has been unforeseen things that would have cost a lot of money. Protection against big things like an air conditioning. It still cost us thousands of dollars because there were parts that the insurance doesn't pay for. But it would have been $10,000, and we may not have been able to fix it. Also being able to conveniently get little things fixed. And sometimes we save money, sometimes we don't on the little things, but it all evens out because it helps with the big stuff.

Bridey,

Original review: Jan. 12, 2023

They don't cover a lot of maintenance and wear and tear. But if you have a fridge, washing machine, dishwasher, AC unit or water heater that goes out, they are pretty good about getting those fixed or replaced. We had to kick our AC back on in the middle of winter as the lines had frozen up. The techs purged the lines and everything was good. However, I'm close to the Louisiana border and I sometimes get contractors assigned from the Dallas area. So, if it was in the middle of the summer and my air conditioner had an issue, that might be a problem. If I could choose my contractor, that would be a plus.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2023

I called American Home Shield for the refrigerator and the icemaker. They told me if I didn't hear from the contractor, then I could call them. But they called me and said they would be sending somebody out the next day or the day after. They had to order parts, so it took a while. I'm waiting to hear from them now. I spoke with American Home Shield this morning, and they follow through. They do make sure you're taken care of. They stand by their policy.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2023

The dishwasher stopped working. I thought that the outlet and the dishwasher were connected. So, I wanted to make sure the electrical was working there. The contractor came out and checked that and it turned out it was the dishwasher that was the issue. So, the electrical was all good.

American Home Shield response

Thanks for sharing your warranty experience. Please let us know if you need if you need assistance. Have an amazing week.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2023

There was a slab leak that we recently had, and I had the plumbers fix it, but I haven't heard anything back yet from American Home Shield as to how they're going to compensate for the repair. I couldn't wait for them to do all their stuff. They assured me that they would be paying, but it was taking too much time, and I needed to get the house back in line, so I went ahead and paid for everything. But I talked to a very nice lady there who managed to make it work.

I had a previous repair of a dryer. It was very minor and the only complaint I had there was it took too long to get a technician to come out. But when they came out, they had the part in their truck so they were able to fix it. What I'm understanding is that American Home Shield is more of an agency that just assigns the claim. So in other words, they don't actually do any of the work. They're sort of a middleman. If I put in a claim for something, they then assign it to a vendor in the area. Then the vendor contacts me and puts me on the schedule to come out to do the repair or to at least see it in order to determine what parts are needed for it.

If the dryer broke and you've got lots of kids and you need to do drying every day, you call up American Home Shield in the morning but it could easily be a couple of weeks before the vendor is gonna be out with the current process. That can be problematic because now, what do you do with all the clothes in between? How do you do all the drying?

The repair is fairly quick but it took a while to get somebody out. That's not really American Home Shield's fault in a certain sense, but what they should try and do on their side is they assign it, then the place comes and talks to you about them coming out. Then the vendor tells that they're going to come out and assess, and then they have to get approval from American Home Shield. They may have to order parts, and then they'll come back once it's approved and once American Home Shield tells them what to do. That adds an additional delay beyond just a delay to get the person out. That was what happened to the slab leak claim.

The biggest flaw in American Home Shield's system is that if somebody didn't have the money to just advance it and get the work done, you'd be stuck in a rock and a hard place. The plumbers said, "I can't do it until they authorize me to do it. If you wanna pay me to do it, then the plumber will do it." But then, you have to hassle with the insurance company about getting reimbursed. I'm fortunate that I have enough money and I can pay for that, but I can easily see people who bought this as a way of offsetting costs and because they don't have enough money to pay for it themselves. In which case, they're gonna be stuck like you are with a lot of health insurance things, arguing with the insurance company to approve you before you can get the treatments you need.

American Home Shield oughtta find a way that when they refer you to somebody, they know that somebody will respond quickly, instead of waiting for you to figure out if they can't respond quickly, and then they tell you to go back and get another selection. They should try and know what the availability of the repair people is. The customer is left to fend for themselves in a lot of these cases. It either moves along like a government agency or you have to fight to get faster service. To me, fighting for faster service is a failure of customer interaction.

When I submit a work order to American Home Shield, it's very easy. With respect to the slab leak, the people who are interpreting their contract are salespeople on the phone, they're not attorneys. There are a couple of terms that they use in there, and clearly, the salespeople are trying not to have to pay the money out. The contract says a particular thing in it, and if you press and you say, "I'd like to speak to the people who actually approved the job, understand why they are either denying it or limiting the amount of money to be paid to repair it," you cannot get through that barrier. They do not want the customer to actually talk to the people making the approval process. Only the repair people can talk to them. So there's this disconnect. If I disagree with what that person decides, I have no way of talking directly to them.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2023

Hi, I called several times to send someone to take a look at my Air conditioner. The first came out was E & A Mechnical (Contractor from American Shield), they stated condenser needs to be replaced. (I also got two licensed HVAC companies states the same thing. Both are licensed in state of California.) E & A Mechnical (contractor license company from American Shield) that They said they send the report to American Shield for authorized to replace the unit. Both the company and American Shield closed the service request ticket. I don't know why. Then I called why was the ticket closed, they didn't say why. They said they will another company CRYSTAL AIR, INC.

The technician came out on Monday, check, said it's possible leak but I need to return. I don't freon. The technician return today, he said is the service line is leaking. He didn't check the fan (doesn't work) or condenser which originally company states it was leaking. Then the technician we could repair the service line plus $1300 for freon,while I get freon for $300 on my own. I called American Shield. They said, "We will get you a second opinion." This will be actually third opinion.

I have elderly parent living with me, that the heat in the house doesn't help. I had to send her to one of my sister's house to have air conditioner. I also have documentation from first company stating it needs to be replaced. I'm single dad (my wife passed), living paycheck by Check. Trying to raise two kids alone. This company doesn't want a loyal customer that is struggling with reimbursement of $4390. They already paid $1610 but the replacement the whole Air Conditioner unit was $6000.00. I have tried with BBB, California State.

Seyed,

Original review: Jan. 11, 2023

Some of the technicians American Home Shield were sending over did not have a lot of experience. The technician that they sent here when we had problems with our washer and dryer was not that great. Recently, our refrigerator broke. Everything froze to ice and the water dispenser would not dispense water. I told American home Shield they shouldn’t send that particular service crew. They sent a different service crew but it took two weeks. The repairman was great though. He came and asked what happened. He opened the refrigerator and started to do the diagnostic to see what was going on. After everything, he told me there were three parts that were completely damaged. He explained that because of the age of the refrigerator, some of the parts were discontinued. He moved to the next step and contacted American Home Shield.

The problem has been resolved and I'm happy. Everything was very timely. I’m one of those that always speak good words for American Home Shield. We have had them for years now and I like the service. With a big appliance like a refrigerator breaking, we would have had to pay the money out of pocket to replace it. But American Home Shield replaced the refrigerator. They gave us options too. We could go to the website to choose from the refrigerators that they had there for replacement or we could get a Lowe's gift card or another option. We could get a check to get our own preference refrigerator.

We went out to look for a replacement refrigerator. The value American Home Shield gave us was $1,699. The previous refrigerator we had was 2,300. What we wanted was more than the 1,600. We bought a Samsung. It's a new model and we got it for about 2,900. We ended up paying more than what American Home Shield did. But I was grateful that they were able to try to give us replacement price on the refrigerator. I always recommend the service to all of my friends and my family that have homes. It's worth it.

American Home Shield response

We appreciate you taking time to share your warranty experience. We look forward to handling your AHS needs. Have an amazing week.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2023

This last incident that we had was a lot better than the one before that, when our dryer went out. When the guy came, he said he had to order a part. But it took him a week to get here. And the part took another 10 days. His suggestion to us was to go to Aaron's rental and rent a dryer so we can do clothing. I told him, "Dude, I'm doing about five, six loads a week because of foster kids I have and you telling me that I need to go rent a dryer for that? That's unacceptable." After that, it was a big hoopla because I contacted American Home Shield and they couldn't even get ahold of the guy to tell us what was going on. So, we were without a dryer for almost a month. And we ended up going to another city, which was 20-something miles away, to do laundry. I can drive seven miles without my legs kinking up on me."

But this last time, the lady called me the next day and told me that it would take a week. And I told her that's unacceptable. Because we had a leak up under the sink and our garbage disposal had crapped out. There was water everywhere. So, she put a rush job on it. The contractor was here the next day. But AHS also sent some guy out to assess the damage. I thought we caught it earlier if it wasn't that bad. It was wet up under there, but it wasn't soaking wet. And they sent a guy out here, just right up under the sink, and the guy wanted to charge us $3,000 to pick up the bottom layer of the wood and replace it.

I went, "Three grand? Are you kidding me?" The tech said, "You can turn it in to your insurance company." I said, "I am not turning nothing in to my insurance company. Because my deductible is $1,000 and you trying to charge me three grand for something that I think I can get fixed." Even though I'm disabled, I could probably fix that myself for under $100. I got disinfectant stuff that we used before. I'm gonna spray it down and get one of the industrial fans out of the garage and stick it up in there so it will dry it out. So, I kept spraying it and drying it out. We did that for two and a half days and there was no mold, it dried out, everything's still solid, and everything was fine. And I told him, "Three grand? We probably could've had the whole thing redone for three grand." That was excessive."The guy tried to pressure me and I sat there looking at him like, "I can't afford it. That's more than my house payment."

AHS went up on their monthly without letting us know. I called and told them we don't use it that often. It was $50-some then. Now, it's $84. I told them I'm not too keen on that. Because I was talking to the wife and I was, "We're going to be paying almost $1,000 for this thing a year and we don't use it every year." It would be different if we use it every year. We've been in this house six years, we only used it twice. We have to sit down and look at the variables because I could put $84 into a savings account. And if something goes wrong, we can get something fixed and we don't have to sit there and wait a few days. I can just pick up the phone, call somebody, and he'll be out in a day or so.

I'm trying to explain to my wife, "What do you want to do? Do you want to keep paying? 'Cause it's coming out of your account. It's $84, but it's up to you what you want to do. The last time I called them up and gave them a piece of my mind. Do you have $1,000 you can just give away every year? 'Cause I don't." I'm on disability. I'm on a fixed income. The guy before told me, "When you call in or something, call in for more than just one thing." But I found out it doesn't matter because AHS won't let you put in more than one thing.

So, anytime you put something in, it's 100 bucks deductible. We're already paying the $84 a month, then it's $100 deductible. I feel like I'm still losing money here. And I have to wait. It would be fine if I had two or three things and I paid the $100 and they come out and fixed all three things. But no, it's $100 per thing. You put in a claim, you have to pay the $100. You can't even talk to nobody. If you got three claims, that's $300. That doesn't make sense to me.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2023

The heating made a loud noise. And it turned out that the fan inside the heating unit had fallen apart. So, the tech that American Home Shield sent had to order a new part. He was very professional and prompt. He communicated with me by text. He didn't bother me while he was here working. He came and looked at it, came back, serviced it. And he never came into the house. He just told my husband he was through. We had the car pulled out so he could get in the attic. So all he did was just walk in there and do his job. And he left and told my husband. He sent me a text and said, “I'm all done.” So, he was very good about just getting in and out, and communicating. I liked that. He was obviously Hispanic, but he spoke very good English. And he had good manners and was informative. He was awesome.

Monday, I had another technician come out. My washing machine went out. The tech unplugged and replugged it. And I thought, “That's kind of a raw deal, because I just paid a service fee for a contractor to come out. But I've never heard of that. Your cell phone, yes. Your computer, your iPad, yeah. You unplug it, you plug it back in. But I've never had that situation with a washer before. He was very nice. But he was, “You're fixed.” And I said, “What did you do?” He said he just unplugged it. I asked, “What does that mean?” He said, “Your computer needed restarting,” which I've never heard of.

So next time I have something weird happened, where it seems it's the computer, like it wasn't running through the cycle, I will unplug it and plug it in before I pay my service fee. The other thing was, he gave me his number. And he said, “If you have any more issues, I'm gonna leave your ticket open for a week. And you just call me directly and I'll come back out here,” which was nice. So, I have two good experiences.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2023

We couldn't get the cold water to come on and mix right with the hot water in the shower in our master bedroom. It was a pain. I did a claim and AHS said they scheduled for a serviceman to come out on the 27th. We were going to be out of town the week after Christmas so I called them in and I rescheduled it for Tuesday of the following week. The plumber came out from Wicker Plumbing and he said he couldn't tell what was wrong with it because he couldn't see behind our tile. I asked if the warranty covers the removal of the tile and he said no. They could either hire someone to do it or I have to hire someone. I told him I have a contractor that I can hire to come in and he showed me how much of the tile we needed to remove.

I called our contractor and he removed the tile. I called Wicker Plumbing and they came back out. The plumber said it doesn't have a mixing valve and he said he had to send that in. He took some pictures and on the next day, I got a text message from AHS saying that this was not covered because there was no mechanical failure. Underneath that, it said, “Customer is complaining that she doesn't get either all hot water or all cold water", which to me sounded like a failure.

I called AHS and I explained the whole thing. The rep said that the plumber said that there was no mechanical failure. But the plumber said that there's no mixing valve but there is a failure. I asked to speak to a supervisor because the lady that I talked to kept saying, “Well, it's not covered.” She kept reading me this stuff in the contract about spa and waterfalls. I told her I have a copy of it and it says that shower valves are covered. The supervisor, Joanna, said she couldn't do anything else. This has gone on for nearly two weeks.

I sent a message on Twitter and explained all of this. I got a message back that said, “We do understand your concern about the open request. I will submit a request to the technician to reach out to our authorization, if they need to update any authorization on the claim. We apologize for any inconvenience.” And that's it. I haven't heard a word since.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2023

I was pleased with AHS but not with their contractor, My Tek Services. They did not provide thorough service. We had to have a recall with a second opinion which confirmed that the issue wasn't addressed properly. Other than that, the second company was very professional. The item was addressed properly.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2023

I used to like American Home Shield a lot when the customer service was great. But since they have outsourced everything overseas, I'm not very happy at all. Half of the time, the individuals don't have the same English understanding. Sometimes you can't understand at all. They rush off the phone. They're not really wanting to hear what you have to say. I've had American Home Shield for a long time because it was great. I didn't really use it much. I have spent about $800 on having somebody come and fix my stove. But they have spent about a thousand something in having somebody fix the stove, and they refused to replace it. This is ridiculous. It's been a lot more of a struggle. I've had to put certain companies on “Do not send back to my house” list. They've gotten worse over the last four years. But most of them are pretty good. Somebody came out to look at my microwave and he was very professional and courteous.

I had a washing machine replaced so I ordered it. But American Home Shield had to redo my replacement thing and they said, “It's too old, let's replace it.” I hadn't even replaced it yet. Then the dryer broke and they said, “Well, we have to replace it. This one, we can't fix.” So I went ahead and ordered them both in two separate times. They delivered the washing machine. But when they put the washing machine in, the door should go from left to right instead of right to left. So the door was on wrong. It was on the normal way, but it was one of those reversible doors. They didn't switch the door. So I couldn't even use the washing machine.

For the dryer, American Home Shield said that they would have to do a new work order because they couldn't have Fort Mile come back out. But I called the Fort Mile and then they made it seem like, “I already see it, we’ll take care of it.” When the dryer guy came out to deliver the dryer, I asked him if he could do the door. He said, “Well, I don’t see that on my work order.” I said, “Well, here's the manager’s number and name.” I spoke to him. It took me a while to get in touch with somebody. The dryer that was delivered had a dent on top like somebody dropped it or dropped something on top of it. When the guy was gonna leave, he wanted me to sign his phone and say everything was okay. But I told him, “I’m not signing this. I’m not signing that everything is okay when you're dropping off a dented dryer.” It was obvious. So before they even took it off the truck, they should have been able to look at it.

Between then, I was on the phone with American Home Shield complaining about the issue with the washer and dryer. I was also reiterating some of the issues with the washing machine. I also called Fort Mile and was not able to get in touch with the gentleman I had spoken to previously about the door. Now, with the dryer not being in place, I was able to turn the washing machine a little bit to get the door to open to kinda shove a couple of things through the cracks. But with the dryer in place, I couldn't do that.

I was on the phone with Fort Mile when I noticed the dent in the dryer. I got off the phone with Fort Mile so I can have a conversation with the guy. He told me, “We got your signature on file. I'll just sign it myself.” So he went up the steps, and I was downstairs on the lower level and told him that he cannot go out the garage. So he turned around and went out of the garage door. When he was walking out the door, there were parts from the things that hold the dryer down, so it definitely shifted in the packaging. I said, “Hey, you have some parts. You guys wanna take those with you?” I also told him his bottle of water was on the ground. He picked up the ring that clamps the hose to the hole and threw it at me and told me I was nothing but a Karen.

I called the police, American Home Shield, and Fort Mile. By the time the police got there, they were gone. So I reported this to American Home Shield. I never ever, ever, ever heard once from that guy. Not a phone call nor an apology. I wrote a letter to GE and I still have not heard from them. But I did hear from Fort Mile a couple of times. I talked to the regional director there. They informed me that the people that they used for the deliveries do not work for GE or for Fort Mile. They're independent contractors.

American Home Shield response

I certainly hate to hear that you have received less than satisfactory service & I apologize for the inconvenience. Thanks for sharing your feedback. Have a great week.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2023

Our heat went out so we submitted a claim to American Home Shield. They sent one contractor out who said it was the igniter. They replaced that. But then the heat went out again less than an hour later. We called American Home Shield. The contractor said the heater needs to be replaced and sent us some kind of quote where it said we had to pay $2,500. American Home Shield suggested a second opinion and a guy came out from United Air Temp. They sent like a diagnostic person who said the issue might be some blockage in the pipe. He said he was gonna send his service manager that night to come over so he can give me a final decision.

The service manager came and said we had to replace four parts - the inducer motor, the pressure switch, and two other items. He said if we replace all four of those, we might as well replace the whole system. We waited and nobody ever called. I called United Air Temp and American Home Shield to try to figure out what was going on. United Air Temp said that all they have is that it's the pipe. I told them their service guy said there were four parts that need to go in. They said all they have is what the first guy said. I called American Home Shield and they said all they have is the pipe, as well.

American Home Shield said they were gonna go back with the original contractor where I would have to pay $2,500. For a whole week, we called American Home Shield, United Air Temp, and the first contractor back and forth, two to three times a day. Every time we called, it was a different answer. I talked to two managers that didn't do anything. Nobody came. Nobody fixed anything. We finally found somebody ourselves to come fix it and paid out of pocket.

They replaced an inducer motor, which is what United Air Temp told us. Then, Thursday of last week, United Air Temp said can they send a technician out to replace the inducer motor and the pressure switch. I told them no. This case was put in early December and we're on the East coast freezing and they worried about it in January. I'm very dissatisfied with American Home Shield. I'm at the point where I want to find a new home warranty because that was ridiculous.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2023

We had dishwasher and stove top issues. One of the burners on the stove didn't work. We were able to get a gift card for the dishwasher, because the other one was everything was wrong with it. The replacement dishwasher was a blessing. It was an easy process. I appreciate American Home Shield so much. It was a great experience.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2023

American Home Shield responded to me and told me who would get in touch with me. That takes another 24 hours, and the person that would take care of me call me to set up the appointment. AHS tries their best to get somebody out here anytime I have called. They've been very cooperative. I'm one of these people that want to take care of the problem before it exacerbates and becomes a big money thing. So, I decided to just bite the $75 that I pay. I pay monthly for the annual amount, and I also pay anytime somebody comes out, $75. So, it was okay. I try to keep my stuff in running order. So, if I call AHS, it's for real. And I seldom do that.

Recently, I heard a noise. So, I needed to have the heating checked to make sure that my central air was operational. Somebody came out and tested it. He said everything works fine. They don't see any reason to worry. So, I felt better. I haven't heard any noise since. So, it has been optimally working. I put in a new order at the same time for my washer. It wasn’t wringing the clothes out. The guy took it apart. He did his stuff and said, “The motor is gone. It's just gone I don't know what they want to do, whether they're going to give you a new one or they're going to just buy a new motor.” AHS took a few days, but he called me up and said, “Okay, you got a motor. They're going to repair it.” It got repaired. It has been a couple of weeks, but it seems to be doing okay. Both people were polite and put on their masks, and they seemed to be decent people.

American Home Shield Company Information