American Home Shield

Author picture
Written by Kathryn Parkman
Edited by Jon Bortin

About American Home Shield Reviews

American Home Shield is a home warranty company with over 1.8 million customers. It provides home service contracts that cover major home systems and appliances and offers additional protection for electronics and select maintenance services. The company has access to a network of over 17,000 licensed contractors and has paid out over $2 billion in claims over the past five years.

Pros

• 30-day workmanship guarantee
    • Flexible payment options
    • Does not require maintenance records

Cons

• Not available in Alaska
    • Some customer service complaints

Bottom Line

American Home Shield offers three warranty plans to cover systems and appliances, regardless of age. AHS provides additional coverage for electronics, pools or spas, and roof leak repairs.

Over 50k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?

Original review: May 9, 2022

American Home Shield was easy to deal with, and communication was good. The person who came to do the preseason check was wonderful as well. He was very knowledgeable, did his thing and gave us information. He was good. On the other hand, I had multiple claims before, and one was for a plumbing issue. I had a different company, and I didn't have a good experience with them. The people who came over were weird. They took forever and I had to call repeatedly to get somebody to come over here. One person left my things unassembled then the next person that came with my AC unit just said he couldn't do anything, but he didn't tell me what happened. He just left.

Original review: May 9, 2022

The tech came out for my busted AC. He was professional. He actually texted me 50 minutes ahead of time and he told me he was on his way. When he got here, he walked right in and I took him to the unit. Once he was there, he explained to me what was the issue and what was covered. It took him less than an hour to get it all done. I also had a plumbing claim and it took a little bit longer because the plumber didn't have the right parts. So he had to order the parts and then he had to come back the next day. But the experience was great. He did his job and everything went well. My plumbing has been amazing since then. When I have something that needs repair, all I do is pay the 125 to American Home Shield and it's covered. The contractor comes out and takes care of anything.

Original review: May 9, 2022

For the times that I had to put a request in to service the AC unit, they've moved swiftly to get someone out there. I'm extremely happy so far.

Original review: May 9, 2022

We had a dryer go down and the tech came the next day and got the heating element replaced. He was very professional and he did a good job. But I wasn't too thrilled with the price increase by about 25% a few months ago.

Original review: May 9, 2022

I filed a claim for the AC and the service was great. Also, the contractor was very fast and communicative. They came in the window they said they would and the tech educated me the whole way and replaced my thermostat. He checked out the components of the air conditioner and the furnace also.

Original review: May 9, 2022

When the motor wasn't working well on our AC unit, American Home Shield sent a technician out to fix it. It was good. They had to send him back again, but it was minor. American Home Shield is a good backup. It's not too expensive.

Original review: May 9, 2022

Having my American Home Shield warranty is a benefit. With me being the age I am, I can't go out and shop and do the things that I used to do for myself. I like them a lot. I only had one bad experience with them, and that was when I went about three weeks without hot water. I had to find my own plumber. They said they didn't have anyone in my area and I had a bad experience with the lady that was helping me. She kept telling them that I was rejecting the help. She was just not understanding me. I wish that I didn't have to run into this, but I know I got no control over that.

Mr. Appliance had to come out recently. They're perfect. I love them. AHS constantly tried to fix my dryer. They waste money and their time. It was not repairable. But Mr. Appliance was good. Their guy said they have to follow a protocol and try to fix it first. He never said anything negative. He just said, “We gotta do what we're told to do.” He said, “Obviously, you're absolutely right. We can't fix it. But this is what they want us to do.” He tried everything and it still wouldn’t work. He finally said, “Hey, I'm just about to let them know it can’t be fixed ‘cause it keeps doing the same thing.” He worked with me.

There's a company that American Home Shield uses out of Louisiana, and I had a bad experience with them when they delivered my washer. I had to ask the guy to leave the premises. He threatened me. I almost had to call the police. AHS is sending that same company back out here again and I told them about it today. They were like, “Well, if you have another bad experience with it...” I was like, “Why would he have to come back to my house?” I talked to the lady at AHS today. I was told that sometimes they have a problem getting ahold of them too. When they came out, they were in a rental truck. The tech set my washer under the carport and left it. I had to pay $180 for someone to come in and bring my washer in the house because my hands are still twisted. I couldn’t do anything. Still, overall, American Home Shield does stand up to what they say.

Original review: May 9, 2022

American Home Shield follows through with everything that needs to be done. There were a couple of times that they couldn’t provide stuff, like the septic tank stuff, and they couldn't find a company so I had to find a company then they reimbursed me. They did that quickly. Other than that, it’s been good. They answer the phone well and they follow up with the company. The company calls quickly and the job gets done quickly too.

I had on a tech that was a young short girl. She could not even reach the filters if she had to change them. I know they were supposed to change the filters but I didn't have any for one part. I told her not to worry about it. I didn't look over her shoulder so I'm assuming she tuned it up okay. But it says in the checklist that they're supposed to wash the unit outside. I don't think she did that.

This was the house from hell when we first bought it. We had trouble with the refrigerator, the stove, and the air conditioner three or four times. We still have a little bit of problems with the refrigerator. A guy came out and worked on it before and I asked American Home Shield about these parts. They're not being made anymore so we got cracked shelves in the refrigerator. The refrigerator makes a noise sometimes too. One of the issues I had with American Home Shield was they didn’t give me a new refrigerator and a new stove.

Original review: May 9, 2022

My electrical panel needed to be replaced. The first company that American Home Shield assigned to the claim never came. They never called to schedule an appointment. Deltex was the second company that they had and they came out two days after. It took about an hour for them to diagnose the problem, and then the new panel wasn't available until that following Monday. So then on Monday, the tech came out and replaced the whole panel for me. He was wonderful. I like American Home Shield for the warranty that they provide for my home. But I didn't like that when I called on Tuesday to inquire or to request a new company to be sent out, the young lady at American Home Shield told me I had to wait an additional 24 to 48 hours.

Original review: May 9, 2022

The icemaker water unit stopped working. I couldn't get ice and water. I called Connie from American Home Shield and got a call back from their people who work in the Philippines, which is not what I'm used to after 12 years of working AHS. But got the thing done, and I got a call from Sears. It was a sharp lady that has been doing it for 12 years, training a gentleman who seemed sharp. And she taught me how to remove the ice compartment and clean it every two months. I had just replaced the filters a month ago. Apparently, the filter I got from RC Willey wasn't good. I went to the store. They went and did another call, came back and put the new filter in. My husband likes his ice. And I don't have to make ice cubes anymore. Dumping it out of the ice tray, putting it in a bag, very good. I recommend AHS because I always get fast service.

Original review: May 9, 2022

The techs replaced the AC motor. After almost 20 days, it went off again. Then they fixed it again within a day. I'm planning to extend AHS for my next year because earlier I used to go directly for each appliance. I opened three service requests. One was for the AC, another for the electrical and another for my faucet. Everything was taken care of so I have no complaints.

Original review: May 9, 2022

I had an issue with my dishwasher and there was a part that needed to be repaired. The compartment for the soap pack was broken. Initially, they sent a company out and they were horrible. When I called them in regards to the first company, I got the runaround. They weren't really clear and I had to call back too many times to follow up. Then, AHS dispatched Coastal Appliances. They fixed the problem and provided amazing customer service. Everything has been good since then.

Original review: May 9, 2022

From the time I placed my claim for my AC that wasn't cooling, it took the techs five days to get out here. When they came out, it took them 30 minutes to fix it.

Original review: May 9, 2022

I've done one service so far and it went really well. The technician was polite. He kept rescheduling things 'cause of both our schedules, but, he showed up and did a great job. The only thing that I have a problem with is every time I call AHS, everyone I talk to is from out of the country. So, sometimes there's a bit of a language barrier.

Original review: May 8, 2022

My air conditioning wouldn't come on and it was brand new because they replaced it last year. But there was a little wire that had come loose. The people they sent were here the next day, and they fixed it in about 10 minutes. When my furnace went out, they always tried to repair it, which I get, and then they had to order one. But they were not easy to come by that fits in my space. So it took a little while, but I managed. But the contractor was great. Once they put the new furnace in, it's been fine.

Original review: May 8, 2022

The dishwasher was leaking and when the repair guy came out, he said we needed a new part. He did a wonderful job. American Home Shield responds in a timely manner and gets the job done. It’s not the first time that we’ve used them and it's worth your money and I recommend that everyone should have them for real.

Original review: May 8, 2022

Our garage door wouldn’t open. The techs came out one day and then came out again to make the repair. It was really fast. We also did a stove and that was really fast, too. Recently, I have a double oven and the lower oven wasn't working. They came out and said they needed something and extra people. They called me again the next day and said, “We're gonna come back out and fix it on this day.” It's easier to get a contractor to come to your house if you have AHS. Before the warranty, we were calling people and trying to get them to come to the house. Sometimes, I couldn't get contractors to come out to fix stuff.

Original review: May 8, 2022

We had a leaking dishwasher. But they can't seem to get the parts. We also had a problem with a refrigerator that was not functioning. That was resolved entirely satisfactorily. I'm happy with the job on the refrigerator. The fellow that did it was Sterling and he was very good.

Original review: May 8, 2022

I called and put in a work order for my garage door that wouldn't go down on its own, and a repairman was out here within a day or two. He said something was wrong with the sensor and he replaced it. American Home Shield's customer service has always been excellent. Anytime I've called, they've always assisted me and helped me resolve my issue. It's less hassle of having to call around trying to find somebody to come and fix your problems when you can call American Home Shield and they already have somebody that can fix it. They come out at an accurate time.

Original review: May 8, 2022

I've had American Home Shield for eight years and they're responsive. I appreciated that. They're good about coming out repairing. We had a dryer repaired, a stove repaired, and things that kept us from having to replace them. I'm fine with that. American Home Shield swore to me that if the contractor says something needs to be replaced, then they would replace it. In the end, they don't pay for anything. I was paying American Home Shield $50, to begin with. It's now $62. I paid $125 for the service call for a tech to come out. This warranty has not paid off for itself. I had a claim for our HVAC and it's been back and forth with them. Everything that's needed to be repaired on the unit has to be covered out of pocket. We didn't even go with the company that was brought out by American Home Shield.

My husband said, "AHS is only gonna give us X amount of dollars." They just keep wanting to repair it. When I called to cancel, the rep said, "Let me send out a different tech and give us a chance." I heard her out and agreed but it was the same thing. They said they didn't cover that. It was just frustrating. My system is old but we've maintained it. We have everything serviced and I take care of stuff. I get my dryer vents vacuumed out by a professional company every year.

With regard to the AC, I was explaining to the rep that the reason I am coming back to them about the issue was that it's the same repair that keeps being done or it's a similar repair from an older part that's in it. It's thousands of dollars worth of Freon that I have to put in every year. I put another $2,000 into the unit. I've paid for the cost of half of the AC unit or almost the whole AC unit when I'm thinking of the cost. I'm including the furnace, too.

That aside, the techs that came were good. They're known to be more of a, "We're here to fix it, not to replace it." That's the problem. The first technician that came out said, "You guys absolutely need to replace that. That's what I'm gonna put in the notes." I said I was fine with repairing the unit but the problem I have was that it keeps leading back to the same issue. We've had several contractors for HVAC come out and they said that with the number of things that needed to replace in here, it was just going to be the same problem over and over.

I said to the second contractor that came in, "You're our fourth person in here, not including the people that we have regularly service it every year, like cleaning and all that. I would love to hear your feedback on what you think is wrong with the system. But I'll tell you right now, we've been told by four different companies, we have a leak and that it doesn't matter how much Freon they put in, it's still going to have a leak. We can replace the coil, we can replace all these different things. But it's basically like rebuilding the whole unit, which makes absolutely no sense." We just had our HVAC replaced today. As boring as it is, read your policy. I read mine very well and it seemed like the stuff that American Home Shield "won't cover" is to the point of, how would a consumer know that that's even a normal part that would need to be replaced? I don't understand the loopholes because pretty much nothing is covered.

American Home Shield response

Thanks for sharing your warranty experience. I apologize for the inconvenience we've caused you. My name is Stacy and I will email you shortly as I would like to speak to you more about your claim.

Original review: May 8, 2022

It's been good with American Home Shield. There is less worry and I know my problem will be taken care of. I called in for my AC that wasn't working and they sent someone out the very next day. By the end of the day, it was taken care of and my house was cool. They were very courteous. They took care of things in a timely manner. I would recommend Arctic Air Heating and Cooling anywhere.

Original review: May 8, 2022

The American Home Shield website was pretty useful. It's pretty straightforward. I did a claim on the hot water heater that was going bad. I got a phone call setting up a time for someone to come out. It would be nice to know more about who's coming to our house, so I can research them a little bit but this particular guy was fantastic. He was very friendly. He put on protective gear. He was quick but thorough. I appreciated him. He even put booties on his feet. This experience was pleasant.

Original review: May 8, 2022

We had some issues with the garbage disposal in our sink leaking, and the tech came and quickly diagnosed it. The garbage disposal was significantly loose, and he tightened it. It was a quick task for him. He also confirmed that there was nothing else wrong, and since then, we haven't seen any leaks. It was good. We like American Home Shield’s service. We've used it for a dishwasher and a checkup that we needed to do too. We appreciate having that security and peace of mind, and we would tell friends that it's a good home warranty option.

When we were looking to sign up, we looked at other competitors as well and AHS felt the most comprehensive. With some of the other competitive options out there, it wasn't very easy to understand what they were or were not offering. With American Home Shield, it was a little easier for us and we understood what exactly we were getting. Also, I've since appreciated being able to quickly file a service request online, not having to call in, and just having that follow up happen.

Original review: May 8, 2022

I love Home Shield’s service very much. They are very expensive, but they are very nice. I sent in a claim for the fridge and they sent out GE Appliance. The tech came on time and he was very nice. I love him. He said he cannot fix the fridge and he request instead just to change it, and then we did. I bought something very nice for almost $3,000. I send American Home Shield the paperwork and receipt. Yesterday, I spoke to customer service and she said, “We received the emails. We received everything.” So now, I'm waiting for their money.

Original review: May 8, 2022

Having American Home Shield, I don't have to look for somebody. I just call them up and they always send qualified people. Once in a while, they'll send a lowball guy, like a local guy that's not really a dealer repairman,. He comes in and says, "I don't know what's wrong with it." But then American Home Shield always sends somebody better. So that's okay. When the microwave went out, they sent a factory repairman type out and he said it had to be replaced. So a truck brought the new microwave and they sat it on the floor in the dining room. I had to call back American Home Shield and asked them who was going to put it in. That was when they sent out the next guy and he did a great job. I've been with American Home Shield for 10 years and they keep raising the minimum for the call out. It used to be 45 bucks, then it went 50 and 75. Now, it's 100.

Original review: May 8, 2022

Sears Montgomery has come out more than once and the last thing they did was good. It was the washing machine. They diagnosed it and fixed it. It was excellent.

Original review: May 8, 2022

When the reps delivered the item, my shutoff valve was broken, so they were unable to install it the same day. They asked me to fix it with the help of a plumber and asked me to call American Home Shield so someone can come and install it. So, I called them and they assigned a technician. I asked him to come by Thursday and he said he would check his schedule and let me know. I’m not staying in this home and I came here and waited for him. I called him and he said that he couldn’t come but he would come the next day. He told me that he would call me and let me know but he didn't do that. And he said he was not doing my install and he was going to cancel it. I immediately called American Home Shield and asked for them to open another work order for me so they could reassign that to the other technician. They said they didn't get the chance to find one for me.

The installation is not finished yet and AHS is telling me that they are still looking for the technician to assign for my work order. It would be helpful if they can complete it. My other experiences with AHS are okay. I had to call a couple of times but they are working fine and the things are completed. So as long my work is completed, I’m good.

Original review: May 8, 2022

It’s the second time I had called American Home Shield out to fix something and it worked good both times. I had the leaky faucet and a toilet that was running and needed that part replaced in the tank. I told the plumbing company in advance that I had some new carpet and I wanna make sure that the plumber wouldn't be walking across it with shoes. They said he'd already been told about that.

Things went very well when they came. It was a simple thing for both of them. It didn't take very long. They replaced the part in the toilet. I told them that the other toilet wasn't giving me trouble, but I put them in the same time so it might be needing same part replaced in the other one. They said they'd see about getting back out there and if American Home Shield would give them an okay to come out and replace that part in the other toilet. I told them about the sink, the faucet was real low. They said they'd see about if American Home Shield would okay replacing it. They told me to keep an eye on it if it leaked again because it was old. They fixed it and it worked but being old, they weren't sure if it would start leaking again later on.

Original review: May 8, 2022

American Home Shield seems like a good idea. However, my experience just hasn't been the best. I thought I had water leaking in my bathroom because the pipes made a noise. Apparently, it was just the pipe. When the guy came out, that's what he said. When the water runs in the sink or if they flush the toilet upstairs, it sounded like dripping inside of the wall. So, my initial call to AHS was to have them come out and check that for me. When Josh came from Water Control Plumbing, he said, "There's no issue. However, I can make sure just to ease your mind." He put a hole in the wall above the tub to show me that the pipes weren't leaking. And I said, "Okay, that's fine." So, they had another person come out the very next day in order to patch the hole. Days later, I saw a water spot on my ceiling. I called back and it was a recall.

I was told by the person whom I spoke to on the phone, "This is just a recall since it's the same room. You won't be charged." I said, "Perfectly fine." They came out once again. There was no issue. So, I thought I was done with it. I received an email a week later saying that AHS received a request for service. I instantly called and said I didn't make that call. When I asked what was going on, they said, "We received your request for this service call." I said, "I don't know what this is about. I don't know what's going on with this. I didn't make the call. No one is authorized to make the call in my home except for me." So, they canceled that one. The last person I spoke to said it was April 29th.

On May 1st, I got another email for the same thing, "We received your request for service." I once again did not make that request. So, I called again and said, "I thought my account was supposed to be investigated or whatever because, apparently, someone is making requests on my behalf. It was not me. I don't have a reason at this point because they told me nothing is leaking." They said someone named Mr. ** called. But there's no Mr. ** here. The only Mr. ** is my father. He lives in Missouri. So, I don't understand why.

I called back because I saw that it was a $100 debit being taken from my account. I said, "There's no one who is supposed to come out. I called to have the thing canceled. Can you guys issue me a refund?" That was last week. They said it would take three business days for it to be refunded. I said, "Okay, fine." So, I called again today after noticing that it wasn't refunded. They said, "Sean from Water Control said he came out." I asked when. They said May 1st. So, I called to have the thing canceled. Why would he still come out and why would AHS still charge me?

American Home Shield response

I apologize for the inconvenience. We will have an associate reach out to you about your experience.

Original review: May 8, 2022

My air and my heat were not working. I did a claim with American Home Shield and within a few hours, I heard from the contractor. Their tech then came out in a day or two. He was there for about an hour and fixed the unit. I had a great experience.

American Home Shield Company Information