4.3/5 (13185 ratings)
Author picture
Written by
Edited by

About American Home Shield

American Home Shield is a home warranty company with over 1.8 million customers. It provides home service contracts that cover major home systems and appliances and offers additional protection for electronics and select maintenance services. The company has access to a network of over 17,000 licensed contractors and has paid out over $2 billion in claims over the past five years.

Pros

• 30-day workmanship guarantee
    • Flexible payment options
    • Does not require maintenance records

Cons

• Not available in Alaska
    • Some customer service complaints

Bottom Line

American Home Shield offers three warranty plans to cover systems and appliances, regardless of age. AHS provides additional coverage for electronics, pools or spas, and roof leak repairs.

American Home Shield Reviews

Over 50k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?

Original review: Jan. 15, 2023

My washing machine was not draining and the tech got it going. It stunk and he cleaned it before he left. He did a wonderful job and was so thoughtful and showed up right on time. I know him because he used to work sometimes and came in to fix mom's stuff. He was always very nice and considerate. He worked hard to find and correct the problem. Anytime there was a problem or anything that was under his purview, he was always right there to take care of it. I never had a problem with American Home Shield and I'm a big fan. They've always been super with my parents' home, which was the reason I got them when I moved in here. They're terrific. They've been faithful to my mother and to me. They come through.

American Home Shield response

Thank you for sharing your AHS experience. We are available 24 hours daily to service your home warranty needs. Have an amazing week.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2023

American Home Shield was very responsive when I needed them and there was just one place to call. So, it was convenient. I had a plumbing issue and I had them repair an oven. It was a very good experience with the techs.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2023

Everything was excellent with American Home Shield the first time. But this last time, I told the representative that I had a stand-alone freezer and the guy got out here and said that AHS doesn't cover stand-alone freezers and it's secondary. I had him him come out anyway. AHS canceled the charge against my credit card and the guy checked out the freezer and told me to buy a new one. It'll cost too much to fix this one. Other than that, AHS has been excellent. The main reason I got it was if my heater air conditioner rooftop unit decides to go south, I'll have somebody to fix it. In the past, the private vendors wouldn't show up or they were too busy. These people showed up and did their job very well. So, I'm very happy with it.

American Home Shield response

We are grateful for the time that you've taken to share you AHS experience. Please let us know if you need any assistance in regards to your warranty. Have a great week.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2023

Every time I called, American Home Shield got the ball rolling and called within a very short amount of time. Our water heater went out and they had that replaced. I can't even imagine what that water heater would have been to replace or repair it. So, I'm glad I didn't have to think about that. Then, my plumbing got backed up into all of the bathrooms and the showers, and it got resolved that night. The techs were all nice. We also live in a small town, so everybody ends up knowing everybody. So, everyone's been awesome with us.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2023

Holland Plumbing came out for a slow drain and it went okay. The repair guy was good and professional and got it working. But I'm having the same issue again. So, I need to get him back out here. Overall, it was a decent experience with American Home Shield. I like that any time there's an issue, I can put in a request and someone will be out as soon as possible.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2023

The resident at the property calls and tells me what’s wrong and I normally submit the claim on American Home Shield’s website. I like it. It makes it easy to submit claims and to monitor the progress so it is very convenient. In my most recent claim, the contractor needed to replace the faucet and add a pressure-reducing valve. They said that the warranty doesn't cover the repair due to the absence of a pressure-reducing valve so, I was forced to pay everything out of pocket. I didn't realize I wasn't covered and thought this would be a very simple repair. This was a very unexpected expense. For the most part, American Home Shield has been good. There were a few instances where, like this one, there was an unexpected coverage. So, that leaves me feeling a little sour. And in the future, these things can still come up. So, I’m feeling a little vulnerable with the AHS warranty coverage.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2023

The dryer went out. I filed the claim online to American Home Shield and then I called numerous times after that. I got their representative and our interaction was horrible. I couldn't get anything done with it. When I called in the first time, it was to follow up with an appointment. They had not scheduled an appointment yet. So then I called to get the appointment scheduled, and they said that they would call me back with an appointment, and they did. The technician came out and did the diagnosis on the dryer. He told me that he was gonna submit the diagnosis to American Home Shield on the date of service, which was on the 3rd of January. Then on the 3rd of January, that was what he told me.

On the 4th of January, I called in to see if that technician has submitted the request. There was still no submission of that diagnosis to American Home Shield. I called again on the 5th, and there was no submission of the diagnosis to American Home Shield. I called on the 6th, but still, there was no submission from the technician. Saturday and Sunday came by. There was no issue since AHS was closed. Monday came along, and I got a brand new call from the company and they said that they needed to come out again and do another diagnosis.

At that point, I was like, "What's the next available date?" It was the day after. They did the diagnosis on the 10th. They fixed it on the spot on the 10th. Then they closed out the service request. Everything was up to date and fixed, and I had no complaints or issues there. I've had to use American Home Shield about four times so far and in the past, everything has been tip-top and only this one occasion has it been an issue.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2023

My refrigerator stopped working and the tech was very good and professional. He had to order a replacement and it’s working good. I'm very satisfied with American Home Shield. It's a good company to have.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2023

Somebody called and asked if we wanted a rekey. It was part of the service with American Home Shield and we said yes. We made an appointment and the guy was on time and quick. It worked perfectly. AHS is easy and efficient. I haven't had any other kind of claims but I liked that part.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2023

There was a form I filled out online when I submitted the claim to American Home Shield for the dishwasher, the microwave and the stove. Dealing with the rep was fair and the contractor was able to repair the issues.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2023

The refrigerator was working fine and all of a sudden, it stopped cooling. After that, it was a nightmare. The first contractor came out and the tech was just coming off of six months of training. He wasn't experienced but he was a nice guy, very sociable and professional. The next guy came out and he had the experience and the knowledge but he said he was leaving. He was tired of the hassles and the supervisors ripping on him for not calling people. So, he left and the other guy came back. He tried to do his best but wrong parts kept being sent. The guy had the correct part and he put the compressor in. They ordered a new circuit board for the back of it and put that in and at that point, everything else started to die. Other than the compressor, a lot of the parts that were sent were used or broken or the wrong parts, wherever they ordered them from. They were sending junk parts because one time they sent a part in a box that the box was too small for it.

A & E was the original contractor and the problem started with them. It's usually about a two-week turnaround. So, your refrigerator just barely works and it's terrible. I couldn't put a lot of stuff in there because I didn't know if it's gonna totally ruin everything. After they were done with it, American Home Shield had another contractor come out and look at it. I showed the guy all the stuff that was done to it and he said he would have to order all new stuff again because he didn't know what to do with defective things. A & E actually put a defective ice maker in it. The test button was jammed up in it so you couldn't test to see if it worked.

The other contractor made one trip out and said that he would tell AHS they should replace it because he was gonna have to order another $1,000 worth of stuff. So AHS decided to buy it out, which was okay, but then they deducted what the second contractor charged to come out. I paid the original 175 to cover the service charge but AHS sent another guy out and deducted the amount from what I could receive, which was a rip-off. They kept that saying they gotta cover that cost. The turnaround time with A & E and the inexperienced worker they had was bad. But American Home Shield has nothing to do with any of that other than they hire the contractor to come in and I was satisfied with the experience with AHS.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2023

The contractor changed the garbage disposal and the communication with them was very well. I had another claim with American Home Shield for my wall-mount heater. It quit working and the tech knew exactly what to do and fixed it. Everything that AHS offers have been exactly what they offer and advertise.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2023

I had a pool plumbing leak and American Home Shield sent the same company they’ve been using. It’s a good company and they were able to take care of us. I had another claim for the microwave and it was taken care of quickly. The coverage with AHS is good, which is why I'm still with them.

American Home Shield response

Thanks for sharing your warranty experience. Please let us know if you need if you need assistance. Have an amazing week.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2023

TC Homes came out and fixed the thermostat. They had to come back but I was pleased. I've had great service with American Home Shield. You don't have to worry about being taken advantage of when you deal with a vendor because they do the vetting for me. I want the job done and the only thing I gotta do is call them. They've done the work and I pay it up good.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2023

American Home Shield stepped up and did what I needed them to do. Last week, the original dishwasher that came with the house went out and they completely replaced it. So, I was appreciative of that. I’ve had to use AHS, in six years’ time, maybe about three times. One for my toilet and one other time, I had a valve under the sink that was leaking. The Lindsay Company came out in September and replaced the valve under my sink. They did the install for the garbage disposal as well, which went out. So, the guy came last week and completely put in a new one. So, I was very pleased with that.

Both who came out were very nice guys, professional and quick. They were prompt, knowledgeable and good guys to deal with. The guy who fixed the sink was very knowledgeable and young. Both of them were right on time. I didn't have to wait and they were here when they said they were coming. Those technicians from Lindsay were fantastic. Before then, the person that I called out a few years ago and fixed our toilet, was a private contractor as well. But when I called for the sink, AHS said that his company was no longer in with the home warranty people. So, they sent me these two guys and they were wonderful.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Jan. 15, 2023

When I first purchase this warranty program, I told myself I would give them a good year to see how their services and communication would be, so far it has been horrible. I would not recommend to purchase any type of program with them. I currently have Shield Gold and all they do is take your money for each service and not fix the problem. I believe I have had 3 service dispatch to supposedly fix my furnace. It is currently winter time where I am located and the company they send out is the same(XTREME HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING LLC) but they do nothing.

I am fed up with how all companies want is to take as much money as possible. All this time I spent paying my monthly membership makes me believe I should have just canceled the warranty and purchased my furnace out of pocket. And I have currently checked that they have increased my payments from $44.99 to 52.99 which definitely doesn’t make sense if they don’t do anything to solve my problem.

American Home Shield response

We appreciate you sharing your home warranty experience. I apologize for the inconvenience we've caused you. My name is Stacy and I will email you shortly as I would like to speak to you more about your concerns.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2023

Every time I've called AHS, they've come running, which is surprising to me because I've worked in areas where you couldn't get them to come out. But since I've been here, it's great. I liked the tech that came out for my heating claim. He wrapped electrical wires and tightened connections.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2023

We really like AHS. They're just wonderful and quick. Our garbage disposal went out. They came out and replaced it with a new one. We also had a claim when our oven went out and they were very prompt on that too.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2023

The gentleman came out, and he looked at my oven. The element was broken. He left, went to the store, got the part, came back the same day, fixed it. He was nice. Once he told me what it was, I knew. But he took it out. He made sure that I saw what the problem was. And said, “You're in luck. The parts store is 10 minutes from here. I'll be right back.” It was great.

A home warranty is well worth it because from that inspection that you do, you don't know what could come up as being a clunker, something that was broken when you bought it and just didn't know. Or it didn't look like it was broken at the time, and you go to use it and you'd be like, “Holy crap.” American Home Shield steps up in there. You have a $300 repair bill on top of all the other bills that are coming in as a new homebuyer. AHS will save you so much. They took the anxiety out of knowing I needed a repair.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2023

A couple of years ago, I had an issue and I was ready to drop American Home Shield. Because I felt like they were not listening to me and was not trying to resolve the issue. But they have redeemed themselves with this last call that I made. Houston had a freeze. Because of that, the water behind the hose behind the washing machine froze. The pipe did not burst, but the hoses got clogged up with rust. So the tech had to come out and clean the residue from the hoses. He was very professional. Asked me if I had questions, showed me what the problem was, and offered to come back if the problem was not resolved, according to my satisfaction. I like the benefit that when something breaks down, although I have a handyman sometimes, I prefer to have somebody more professional come in and see if they could resolve the problem.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2023

American Home Shield only had one contractor in this entire area of the city core of Dallas. The tech did come and completed the job finally right. So, I was satisfied after that. It was with my garage opener. The only problem I had was when the guy first came, he didn't do a good analysis of the job. Other than that, everything worked out fine.

American Home Shield response

We really appreciate you taking time to share your warranty experience. We look forward to handling your future AHS needs. Have an amazing week.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2023

I had a problem with my air conditioner and furnace. Even though it took American Home Shield forever to get those done, they got done. So, they do it, but there’s a lot of frustration and inconvenience. Take your chances with AHS. Because if anything major goes wrong, getting to a person or follow-up is not gonna be easy. But it will eventually get done. I tell AHS exactly what I've been experiencing. They would ask questions, and I'd say, like the last guy, “It’s not getting hot. It’s turning, but it's not getting hot.” He came out. He said he replaced the heating. For that day, it was hot. The next day, it was lukewarm.

Before, I could just call, and I could get to a person and he would take care of it. In the last couple of years, it has gotten worse. If I have a claim that wasn't satisfied, AHS takes me around the world. “Press this option.” I can't talk to a person anymore. I have to do everything online. And when I talk to a person, they're in another country and there's a language barrier. It's very frustrating.

They would say, “I will give my supervisor a number, and they'll get back with you.” But that never happens. They would put me on hold and say they would talk to a supervisor. But no matter what I tell them, they repeat their script over and over. It’s where they're not hearing me. And I tell them, “I can't understand you. Can I talk to somebody from America? Can I talk to someone else?” They would repeat the same script over and over again. They refuse to let me talk to a person. I’m 69, hard of hearing.

Some contractors are excellent. Some order parts and they never follow up with their department, so I have to keep calling. The part came in three weeks, and no one came out until almost a month later to repair the dishwasher. When they came in, they put the dishwasher in. The dishwasher worked for a day, went through the cycle. The next day, we tried to use it. It was leaking. The foam was coming out the bottom. I’ve called several times for it. And I'm about to call again. It still doesn't work. But when they're here working, they seem to know what they're doing. They open it up. They run it through the cycle. It works. But it’s not consistently working. The contractor told me I couldn’t talk to them. I have to go back to AHS.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2023

Prior to this recent service request, I wasn't a big fan of customer service. Calling in is a nightmare. I would always call and explain or make sure I submit a service request properly. And there was one service request I had previously where I had a bad experience. American Home Shield had to give me a discount on that one. But this one was different. It was convenient for me to do it through the app. And the company AHS used, and the guy they sent, was very good. The experience was pleasant. However, I am having a hard time trying to convince myself that I'm gonna keep the contract past this year.

I've been with AHS for five years. At this point, it's becoming more of an investment for the company as opposed to a benefit for myself. I get it. It's like an insurance thing. And we pay insurance, but we don't use it until we actually need it. I thought by this time, I'd be able to utilize the benefits of AHS a bit more. But whether it's the stuff is just still kicking or there just hasn't been any significant repairs or something that needs to be replaced where I could utilize it.

I've been giving all this money that the rates of go up every year, but it feels like I'm just donating money to the company. If my rate was still the same or only slightly different from that first year, I will be okay with keeping it. But now that I see what's happening that it's just gonna go up just for the hell of it every year, because it's not like the service is getting better or I'm getting added benefits or features. The price is just going up. And I get inflation, but it's like they're charging just because they can.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2023

The contractor came out to fix my ice machine on my fridge. I did the thing online where American Home Shield did the little video thing and they saw what parts I needed and I just waited for them to tell me they had the part. And as soon as they had it, the contractor came the following day. I wanna keep getting serviced by Big Country because I had gotten service by another one before by a different company that AHS sent out, but that one didn't work out well. But Big Country did a perfect job.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2023

American Home Shield was worth the money and very professional. Recently, the hot water heater stopped running. The contractor did a good job. They came out, inspected the heater, went back to AHS, submitted the ticket and to get approval to replace the hot water heater. Once they got approval for that, they came out and replaced the hot water heater.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2023

The icemaker wasn't working. The contractor got me up and running the same day they came out.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2023

The pipe broke under the kitchen sink. It was water everywhere. The tech came in and replaced it. He was professional. It took a while. But it was a good experience.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2023

I had a leak under my sink. I put a claim in on a Thursday and the techs came that Monday which was New Year's. They got the job done and were out of there quickly. They were great.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2023

The technicians are great. They haven't resolved the issue yet, but I understand. I'm happy with the service and the system. I understand how it goes. AHS doesn't communicate real well but even though things haven't gone always smoothly, I'm overall satisfied for the return for my money spent.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2023

We had an electrical issue with our plug. The techs fixed that. They were thorough and professional. AHS's companies seem to know what they're doing.

American Home Shield Company Information