American Home Shield

Author picture
Written by Kathryn Parkman
Edited by Jon Bortin

About American Home Shield Reviews

American Home Shield is a home warranty company with over 1.8 million customers. It provides home service contracts that cover major home systems and appliances and offers additional protection for electronics and select maintenance services. The company has access to a network of over 17,000 licensed contractors and has paid out over $2 billion in claims over the past five years.

Pros

• 30-day workmanship guarantee
    • Flexible payment options
    • Does not require maintenance records

Cons

• Not available in Alaska
    • Some customer service complaints

Bottom Line

American Home Shield offers three warranty plans to cover systems and appliances, regardless of age. AHS provides additional coverage for electronics, pools or spas, and roof leak repairs.

Over 50k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?

Original review: May 12, 2022

I reported a leaking faucet and AHS sent someone out. The contractor came out and did what they needed to do. They were on time and efficient.

Original review: May 12, 2022

American Home Shield’s service has been helpful. I've been successful in being able to make an appointment and getting someone out here in a sufficient amount of time, either within a good amount of timeframe, probably about two days or so. It’s never a long time. American Home Shield has been great for me. I've even referred people to them. Being a homeowner, on our own, we have to do everything. It’s definitely a benefit and helpful. They have reasonable monthly payments, too.

Original review: May 12, 2022

AHS is a good service and I feel satisfied with them. The Appliance Superheroes came out recently for the broken washer. They had to order a part and it took a couple of days but the tech came back and fixed it quickly.

Original review: May 12, 2022

One of the burners in our range wasn't working. Submitting the claim was pretty easy. I did it online and it all went good. The first guy checked it and he told me that the burner was bad. He had to order the parts and then another tech came back to put them in. Both of the techs that came out were very good. I had another claim to fix my heater. The contractor had to come back and put the part in. American Home Shield was always on time. They're one of the better ones out there. I've never had a problem with them.

Original review: May 12, 2022

Service has been good. We had a leak in the house and they were out there to repair the problem. The plumber fixed the hot and cold nozzles on the bathtub which were causing the leak. So, they replaced those. The tech was very good. I was really pleased with him.

Original review: May 12, 2022

I had a leak and Safe Cali Plumbing came here and helped me fix it. But they opened the wall and nobody has come here to repair it as well as the damaged storage.

American Home Shield response

I apologize for the inconvenience we've caused. My name is Stacy and I will contact you about your unresolved concerns.

Original review: May 11, 2022

The contractor came out pretty quick when I had toilet problems. They did good work. I also sent in a claim for my refrigerator and AHS sent somebody over and they fixed it quickly. I'm happy with the work they've done.

Original review: May 11, 2022

In the beginning, my experience with AHS was not good. The beginnings are rocky and I even had a person on our neighborhood app mention it. I told them I'm giving it a couple of chances because I think it's not the company itself, it's the first providers they sent out. I had trouble with my first two but once we got that settled, everything went well. My most recent claim was when I wasn't getting any air. I filed a claim by web and then, I reached out to a provider by phone because they contacted me but it went to junk so I didn't see it. They sent out Above Par Heating & Air Conditioning and the guy said there were multiple problems because the wires just kind of dropped and it wasn't connecting at all.

Original review: May 11, 2022

Some of the contractors of AHS are good. Some of them aren't. They should pick more carefully or review their ability to complete the job.

Original review: May 11, 2022

My air conditioner went out. The techs were on time. They were very knowledgeable, super polite and hardworking. They didn't leave a mess. I would use them again. They got the job done. A long time ago, other people came through AHS and did a terrible job. But these people did a good job. The warranty has helped us. It took $2,000 off the air conditioner price.

Original review: May 11, 2022

The electrician who came for a light that wouldn't turn off was great. AHS is good.

Original review: May 11, 2022

A starter on the pool went out. The tech came out and fixed it right away. It worked out. The first time that my hot water heater went out, American Home Shield fixed it. But three years later, the hot water heater that they replaced went out again. So I have to pay the service fee again. But all of a sudden, I had to pay additional fees for permits. I've never paid for a permit. That same hot water heater has been replaced at least four times thus far and it hasn't even been 10 years. There was also an instance when I tried to tell them, “Listen, you guys put this hot water heater in there. It’s damage. It has dent and dings in it.” It's not safe, but they couldn't resolve it and wouldn't resolve it. I couldn't speak to somebody that could speak English.

There was another issue with my washing machine and I had major water damage because American Home Shield sent out a company who jimmied jack bootleg internal parts within my washing machine that made it back up into the wall. I had water damage in the garage and the walls in the laundry room. But American Home Shield doesn't cover it. They just said, “Oh, well, we'll send another technician out to fix your washer.” They couldn't tell what company did it because at this particular time, they had two different companies that were documented that came out to work on my washing machine. For the most part, the customer service has been horrible over the last four years.

Original review: May 11, 2022

The contractor did an absolutely marvelous job with the pre-season check on my AC unit. So far, American Home Shield seemed to be a good company.

Original review: May 11, 2022

A contractor came to check the air conditioner and they found a part that was wrong. They changed the part and it was good. They were very informative. We've had other furnace repairs and cleaning with American Home Shield and those were good as well. I like that I know exactly what I'm going to pay.

Original review: May 11, 2022

When I had a backup with my toilet, I put in a service request and I didn't have any trouble at all. The original plumber couldn't make it in a reasonable timeframe, so I called American Home Shield, and they found somebody to come in the next day. He was perfect. He came out the very same day and fixed it. The service was great. I was a customer 20 years ago, so I came back. I have peace of mind knowing that I'm going to be able to get things done and that I'll have qualified people working on them. I don't have to go find, schedule and chase them around too.

Original review: May 11, 2022

American Home Shield's service is very good. It serves a purpose. I had an issue with my refrigerator not cooling. The claims process went very well. They ordered the part, and the part came like a day or two later, which was fine. The only thing I didn't like is that, when they gave me the number to call the company that they were using, I could never get them. But when I called AHS to tell them that I couldn't get them, they could and they made the appointment. The technician was very good.

Original review: May 11, 2022

Everything I have had American Home Shield do has been very satisfactory. I did the air conditioner maintenance check-up for $75. They sent a guy out and he was very efficient. He got on the roof and took care of it. He also changed the filter for me. I was very happy with it.

Original review: May 11, 2022

American Home Shield is a safety net and I'll never get rid of it. I had an issue that started to be an electrical fire and the wires were melting. And I called 911 and they shut it down at the breaker box. Flowertown and Air came and the tech replaced some wires. He was friendly and professional. I said, "Is that a normal thing?" He's like, "Yeah." But, I would have liked a little more information. There was another guy I had before and I could tell he was thorough and that he knew what he was doing. He really wanted to teach me and said, "This is how this works and this is why it did this." So, there's a very big difference. But this other guy did the work and he was gone. But would definitely recommend Flowertown Heating and Air. I've had them come out quite a few times. They're always professional, courteous, and quick.

With my last claim for my oven, this guy showed up with a screwdriver an hour and a half late on the first visit. I called because I kept getting text message updates that said that he's on his way, and then there's a little map you can look at and it shows that he's 15 minutes away, but the number of minutes away kept growing. He didn't touch the oven at all and just said it needed this and this. So, my oven caught fire. He ordered the parts and he's going to fix it but they're supposed to be here from 12:00 to 5:00 and I haven't heard anything today. The last time I waited from 12:00 to 5:00 and at 5:00, I started going, "Okay, so are they not coming in?" And they came at 6:30. Other than that, I've been with AHS for three years and we've been very impressed.

Original review: May 11, 2022

I needed a spring tune-up for my air conditioner to make sure that we have conditioning in the heat. The young man took care of checking everything out and he seemed to be very knowledgeable and well-spoken. It was an excellent service call. I had a couple of plumbing calls and American Home Shield sent PHD Mechanical who corrected the issue. The only thing I am concerned with is that the costs with AHS aren't exactly cheap. I don't know how much I'm saving by doing this. But when I call, the techs usually come within a day or two, whatever the issue is, and that's fine.

Original review: May 11, 2022

AHS is a great plan for getting things repaired and taken care of. Requesting service has been a good process. It usually takes a day or two for the repair company to get there. But none of the repairs that I've had to have done had me in a dire straits situation where it had to be done right that minute. So, that has worked out. The warranty covers all of my electrical, washer, dryer, stove refrigerator, and air conditioning system. The price has gone up twice in the three years that we've had it and that's the only thing I have a problem with because the first year, we had no repairs. And then the next year, it went up.

Recently, the tech cleaned out the coils on my AC system and checked up in the attic. He also checked the Freon levels to make sure it was good to go for the summer. He did everything I would want.

Original review: May 11, 2022

My washing machine wouldn't spin. Something was wrong with the cycle. The rep was polite. He looked at my washer and told me what he thought my machine needed. He wrote everything down and told me that American Home Shield will be in contact with me very soon. Within a few hours, I received texts from American Home Shield. The first one stated the tech's findings and the second one stated that I should be receiving a new washing machine. Everything was online, and I could pick the one I wanted within the amount that they gave me.

The experience with AHS was good. But sometimes I find it too expensive. I pay them once a month and I have to pay them for the serviceman to come to my home. On top of that, if I don't get the delivery time needed, it could cost me a day's work.

Original review: May 11, 2022

With my recent appliance request with AHS, the tech did a really good job with our refrigerator. He had to order all the parts. When the parts came in, he fixed it. Everything is going great now. We have another claim with AHS that's ongoing. We've had trouble with the furnace starting just a few months after we moved in. They came and thought they had it repaired. But then, six months later, it didn't work again.

The guy came and he said it was a different contractor that had been here before and he said that the heat exchanger was bad and that it was cracked. But when he took the serial numbers, the part was still under the manufacturer's warranty. So, they have done the manufacturer's warranty on that, but it's on backorder. Now, we've been waiting over a month for that part. But AHS has been awesome with us. I'm really pleased with them and would definitely recommend them.

Original review: May 11, 2022

Our washer went out then our dryer went out next. The claim for the dryer was done quickly and efficiently. However, the washer claim took some time because of things not being in stock. American Home Shield ended up giving more from the original amount that they had offered. If I ordered one through them, they ended up upping that because of things being out of stock. We were able to get one but we were without a washer for three or four weeks. That was longer than we would have liked, but I'm not sure how much of that was in their control.

The contractors that have come out for these last two things have been wonderful. It was A&E Appliance. Sometimes you hear nightmares of having crummy people come out with different home warranty places. But we've had great, knowledgeable people come out. In terms of the website, everything has been easy to manage.

Original review: May 11, 2022

Draingo came out to look at some of my plumbing issues. I had some dripping in my laundry area. I did the claim through the website of American Home Shield. It worked out. They told me who the contractor was and what time they were gonna come and I was given their contact number. The techs were nice. They diagnosed my issues and let me know what was the main factor and what I needed. So, they helped out. AHS is doing a good job, so far.

Original review: May 11, 2022

The rep at AHS told me they would submit the claim and that I would get a call from the appliance company. They also gave me the appliance company's contact information. The appliance company called me within a couple of hours. I told them how my washer was and what had happened. The appliance company came out and diagnosed. The day they came out, they knew right away what the problem was. There were certain parts that needed to be ordered. They ordered the parts, came back the following Monday and replaced everything. In the meantime, when they had to remove the agitator, it broke. They had to order a new agitator, came back out the end of that week and replaced the agitator.

Original review: May 11, 2022

I see American Home Shield as like a dispatch. So, talking to the individuals on the phone, everything was good with that. I get the best deal, but not the best quality. And the cheaper that they got under the contract, they take advantage of that. I had American Home Shield before in my rental property. The problem that I had with it is they kept on sending people out to fix my air conditioner and it was band-aids in it every year. The amount of money I spent in it, I could have bought a new AC unit. Before I sold that home, it went out again. It went out every year. And I said, "Just go ahead. Don't even worry about it. Replace the whole thing." And I got a discount. But I rather had just done that in the beginning than having them band-aid it. The company told me that they could fix it but it was hazardous because it was leaking antifreeze.

My first claim this time was I had a pipe leak. So, I looked it up. The contractor came out, did the inspection. I already knew the leak was outside because I checked with the water service. I wish AHS would have let me know that, if there's a leak on the outside, they don't do it. I just bought the house, moving in in January. I didn't think I would have an issue. So, when the people from Prime came, it took them a week or two to come back. My bill is still going up because of the water leaking, but they haven't turned in the report for them to make the claim or for them to go any further.

So, they came out, did the work, fixed everything, and I called them back. And when they did, and I told them once they fixed the line, the zone in the front yard didn't work anymore. I called them, they said they would call me, figure out what was going on, and they would call me back. The weekend passed, I called them that Monday but no one called me back. I said, "I wait on y'all and you didn't call back." "The guy didn't mess with that zone in the front yard," which I understood. "No, you didn't mess with that zone in the front yard. But after you fixed my line, y'all probably hit a line or something, mess up something, causing that zone to go out." So they said, "We're gonna give you a call back." But they didn't.

Thursday, when I called them back, they told me they wouldn't be able to get here until after the 16th. But before they did anything, I needed to call the water service and have them come out. I said, "What's wrong is the water is on my side, not the city side." So, I ended up calling somebody else and they are supposed to come out and work. If anything, they didn't do anything wrong and they told me what was wrong. I was, "If nothing was wrong, then that's business for you, then you can fix it when you come back."

On another claim, AHS replaced the garbage disposal. After the tech put it up, my dishwasher started leaking. I just did some research on my own. He forgot to knot the little cap out for the water to drain from the dishwasher into the garbage disposal. That is something an expert is supposed to be able to do. I would have ended up calling AHS to come fix my problem. I would have been out another $100 just to call AHS and tell them about my dishwasher leaking out.

Edward,

Thanks for sharing your warranty experience. I apologize for the inconvenience we've caused you. My name is Robert and I would like to speak to you more about your claim.

Original review: May 11, 2022

For the most part, their website has been a little funky from time to time. I'm trying to get on board and trying to sign in, and it didn't seem to make sense. But generally, they've been responsive. I like the proactive emails I get regarding the claim. I had somebody come in and take care of our air conditioner and do some preseason service to it. The technician was helpful. He also changed the air filter out for me and explained to me that everything's looking pretty good, but I may want to get a liquid clean here within the next couple of years. He told me that I should probably wash out my filters at least once a year. So he was a nice kid. American Home Shield did what they said they were gonna do, and it worked really well.

Original review: May 11, 2022

When I logged in, the website showed that I was eligible for an AC checkup. That's why I did the appointment set up on the website. My experience with the techs was good. They knew what they were doing, and were professional in explaining everything that was going on. I would recommend others to think about having American Home Shield because I've had good experiences so far with all my claims except for one. But it wasn’t AHS' fault. It was the company that came out. Also, the price has been much. Other than that, I’m okay with the service that is given. The coverage I have is good.

Original review: May 10, 2022

I have been with AHS for 4+ years. This is my first claim. My microwave is malfunctioning. Filed a claim on 4/13/2022. They sent 3 Men Appliances to have a look after a week. They ordered the parts (switch and latch for the microwave door) and as of 5/10/2022, we are still waiting for the parts. It's almost a month. Customer service only say that they have sent an email to the contractor every time I call AHS. Worst home warranty service, at least in TX.

American Home Shield response

I apologize for the inconvenience. We will have an associate reach out to you about your experience.

Original review: May 10, 2022

Everything’s fine with the service of AHS. In case anything goes wrong, I like that I don't have to come out of pocket with so much money. I just had a routine AC checkup. The technician arrived on time and called before he got there. He was very knowledgeable and professional. Everything went according to the way it was supposed to.

American Home Shield Company Information