Get a Quote

3. Home Warranties

4.3/5 (15078 ratings)
Get a Quote

About American Home Shield

American Home Shield is a home warranty company with over 1.8 million customers. It provides home service contracts that cover major home systems and appliances in 49 states. The company has access to a network of over 16,000 licensed contractors and has paid out over $2 billion in claims over the past five years.

Pros

• 30-day workmanship guarantee
    • Flexible payment options
    • Customizable coverage plans

Cons

• Not available in Alaska
    • Some customer service complaints

Bottom Line

American Home Shield offers three warranty plans to cover systems, appliances or both. It's not the cheapest option, but it comes with some extra perks. Add-on coverage is available for electronics, pools and roof leak repairs.

American Home Shield Reviews

Over 50k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

My heater was not heating. I called AHS on the phone. Their reps were very professional and I didn't have to call 10 times. I also didn't have to exercise any elevated voices. Then, I received email and text messages to keep me up to date on the progress of the contractor. And when they were within a certain mileage of my home, they called and said they would be here. The repair was perfect, plus the techs were very good and on time.

American Home Shield response

We are happy to know that AHS is beneficial to you. Thanks for sharing your warranty experience. Have great week.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

American Home Shield's been great and it's very easy to get in touch with someone. At the moment, I'm trying to work on getting hot water here and I got to find a junction box in the wall. But they've been very helpful and they gave me hot water temporarily.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

AHS is a fraud company. They scam innocent people like us get the money and won't fixed or take months of Sunday to fix it. My ac went out, the company took more than a months to approve a minor fix. The customer service lied when they sell the policy. AHS said it will cover every equipment listed on the policy no matter what. The truth is they won't. If the AHS think the damage is from person, pets, or pest, they won't cover. When you try to cancel the policy, they you they will try to charge hundreds of dollars even though the AHS rep told me it was free cancellation. This company need to be investigated by the government.

American Home Shield response

I certainly hate to hear that you have received less than satisfactory service. I will follow up with you as soon as possible in an effort to assist with unresolved issues. I've just sent you an email. Thanks for your patience.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

We had an issue with the ductwork. We couldn't feel the air coming up. So, American Home Shield assigned it to several people prior to assigning it to Standlee. However, they could never do anything because our ductwork is underneath the house. Although we let American Home Shield know that, they didn't let the contractors know that. So, the first time Standlee's people came out, they didn't let them know that either. The guy tried to go underneath, but he was a bigger guy and said that he would have to send someone else. So, they did. The guy did go under, but he said it looked like there was old ductwork under there and newer ductwork, and because of plumbing he couldn't get to the right area to see the other ductwork. They went around the outside of the house and looked into the vents to see what they can see from those perspectives.

Once they really couldn't do anything, I contacted American Home Shield to let them know that the Standlee guys were not able to resolve the issue and to find out what our next steps were gonna be. The rep could not get ahold of them at the time and said that they would contact them the following business day. I tried to call them on a Friday and they said that they would contact them at that Monday, and then they would let us know. I haven't heard back from anybody yet.

When I could finally get them out here, it was great. But I did have some issues like scheduling the actual appointment for them to come out. Normally, a contractor will call you and say, "Hey, we have these dates and times available, which one can you--?" We have to be home and what they did on several occasions is they texted me a time and a date. I was like, "There's no one gonna be home at that day, that time, so I can't do that time." I tried calling them and finally, someone texted me back and I was able to communicate with them that way, as far as to set up a date. There were at least two dates scheduled that they scheduled according to what they had available, but there was no one that was able to be at my house at that time.

Initially, I was very dissatisfied just in this trying to get it scheduled because it took over a month just because no one would actually call me back. But I felt like they seemed to have done what they could. We've had ductwork done maybe 10 years ago, and those people were able to access the crawl space with no problem, but Standlee wasn't.

American Home Shield response

Thanks for sharing your warranty experience. Please let us know if you need if you need assistance. Have an amazing week.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

I liked AHS. At first, I had an issue when I needed to get my stove replaced. The repair people couldn't find the parts. But it's been replaced and I'm just waiting now for the reimbursement from what I spent. I haven't heard anything though. They should follow up when there is a reimbursement that's supposed to be made, that they did receive the transmission as far as the email that I sent them with my receipt. But I plan to follow up with that on Monday. But other than that, I haven't had a problem. I've been with AHS for a while. I had an electrician come out once and he wasn't as good though. But the follow-up was good. The customer service was good once I get ahold of them. That was a long wait time. But, because of COVID, some of the processes have changed.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

The technician didn't come out for my claim for the kitchen drain. They said that they don't do this brand. They canceled my service, and then I told AHS to give me a new one. But nothing happened yet. This is my second claim with AHS. The first claim was good. My furnace was broken. The tech that came out was very good and professional. The tech repaired the part. AHS is very good. It’s having peace of mind.

American Home Shield response

We are grateful for the time that you've taken to share you AHS experience. Please let us know if you need any assistance in regards to your warranty. Have a great week.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

We like AHS. It’s been successful. We've had our AC and refrigerator go down and they came out and replaced those. We've had a dishwasher go out and they looked at that and got that fixed. My washer went down and they fixed that too. We got our money's worth out of it. Normally, having to pay 75 bucks, then they come and check stuff out, it’s not too bad. Mann AC and Heating was good. The tech knocked out the job really fast and did his job.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

With the colder weather, we were unable to turn the heater on. It wasn't working. The guys came out right away after I requested service. The guy was diligent, on top of it. He found the problem. It was a panel that needed to be ordered. He ordered that and the very next week, they made an appointment, came out and fixed it. Within a week, it worked. It works wonderful now. I'm very happy. They were absolutely wonderful. AHS' communication is excellent and their rate is reasonable. The minute, as a customer, I make a claim, there's that immediate response. Because a lot of times, especially in the cold weather, you need the heat. So, I appreciate the urgency of AHS.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

We're pretty happy with American Home Shield. They are timely. I put in a claim and it’s within five minutes that I get a notification of the receipt of the claim. In less than 20 minutes, I have an idea of who's going to be contacting me regarding the repair. Recently, the board on the oven was malfunctioning whenever we tried to turn it on. At first, it wouldn't reach a temperature then after a short period of time, it would shut off. As the problem progressed, it got to a point where we tried to turn the oven on and it would not stay on. A repairman did an assessment and provided recommendations on what was needed to be done. Based on the results, either repair would be done or we get the option of taking the value of the oven then replacing it. We elected to replace the oven given the timeframe it was going to take to repair it. It seemed quicker to get another oven so we took the value of the oven and paid the difference for it to be replaced.

We did another claim for the microwave and was replaced as well. I've also been getting this request to have my HVAC system tuned up, which I always did. But based on the energy efficiency of the 14 SEER, we ended up replacing the entire HVAC system to a higher sphere. We went out of pocket and replaced that ourselves based on what we learned about the HVAC system.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

I've been with AHS for quite some time and it's cost-effective. Back in 1998, it was $50 and now it's $100. So that's 23 years later, only going up by $50. In the grand scheme of things, it's really not that much. But their timing is always a challenge. Getting a tech out can be sometimes quick, depending on the vendor they choose. Some vendors are really responsive. But other vendors could be just a total **.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

The bearing in my dryer was undone. It sounded like it was getting ready to take off and fly out of my house at any time. The tech came and changed it. He was a nice guy. It's fine now. Overall, the claims process was fine but getting the parts in could be a little faster. But it has nothing to do with AHS because when they have to order parts, they have to come from God only knows where and there's the shortage. But the work is still being done in a pretty timely fashion. I'm excited that they have been able to service us the way they have. Anything and everything that we've asked them to do, they've done without any problem at all. The contractors have been courteous, timely, and clean when they come in and leave. It's been a great experience.

American Home Shield response

We appreciate you taking time to share your warranty experience. We look forward to handling your AHS needs. Have an amazing week.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

American Home Shield's service as far as who they sent out and fixed the stuff was great. My problem is that I need a receipt and a service report but I didn't get it. I called them and they said they sent it. But I didn't get it. After five times calling, they told me that the only thing they can do is mail it and that I will receive it in 7 to 20 days. This is holding up my insurance claim. I have mold and a dropped ceiling, and I'm stuffy and sneezing.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

I smelled burning plastic and it was coming from the wall behind the stove. So I filed a claim through American Home Shield and an electrical guy came out. He spent 10 seconds at the house and said, "It's not electrical, it's your stove." So I called American Home Shield and they slotted the claim over as not electrical, but for appliance. They assigned it to a company that was booking out two to three weeks. I called back American Home Shield and said that was not going to work for us. So they assigned it to another company, but that company never called me. I called the company and I got a voicemail stating that the owner was out of town and they weren't doing anything for two to three weeks.

I called back American Home Shield and the agent was being really difficult with me and wanted me to pay another deductible in order to slot the claim over to another vendor. The vendor that she slotted it over ended up paying the $100 and asked her to refund the other 100. The tech came out and he was there for about 15 minutes, and checked what it was. The issue was the electrical box in the stove was shorting out. He left and ordered the part. Then a week later, the part came and he installed it. He was smart and knowledgeable. He was great. This whole claim was really confusing. But it was handled as well as it could be.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

I had a refrigerator that wasn't working for my recent claim with AHS. The tech also had to come back and had to refix the dryer because the dryer was missing a part when he came to fix it the initial time. The tech was professional and very courteous. Everything was fine.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

I have benefited from American Home Shield's services a lot. I'm very impressed with being able to call up or go online, especially go online and just have it set up through that. Bang. It's done. And I can even call the repair people up and say, “Okay. This is my number.” And they would say, “Oh, yeah. It just came in. We'll have someone out there soon.” I've had AHS for a couple of years now because I own rental property. And especially during COVID, it was a little tricky. But once I got through to the person who would send me up with people, it went very smooth. And I could call up and say, “This person isn't any good. Send me someone different,” that day, but the next day, the person would come. If I have anything going wrong in my house appliance-wise, I just say, “I would like Metro to come back out again. Thank you.” And they would say, “Not a problem.”

My broiler wasn't working in my stove and Metro Appliance Service were the first people to be able to fix it. It was so ingenious how they did it, because that part isn't made anymore. But the guy was able to take another part, take it apart, and put it into my part to make it work. It was excellent and fast. I have recommended AHS to a few friends.

American Home Shield response

We really appreciate you taking time to share your warranty experience. We look forward to handling your future AHS needs. Have an amazing week.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

I really don't like AHS. I still have the same plumbing problem and the only thing that they did was change the faucet and the sink. But apparently, my P-trap, the drain that I've been telling them that is leaking, is still leaking even though the guy tested it. The first guy said there was nothing wrong with it, but when you put the drain in to plug up for you to put water in the sink, that's when it starts leaking all over again. So, I'm going to see if I can find another company. But in the meantime, I'm going to go to Home Depot and see if I can get someone to change the pipe.

All in all, I really don't think that AHS does a good job and I don't think it is the techs that come out, because they're only doing what's on the order. But when you try to explain what's going on with something in your house, that's where the communication is lacking because the guy that came out today said that the notes didn't say anything about my drain. But I've been complaining about the drain ever since I made that first call to AHS. That was one of the other issues I was telling them about other than the faucet and the sink.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

Royal Plumbing is great. They've been here before and I've had no problem with them. They come in and do their job. But for a claim before that, it was American Home Shield that I had a problem with. Our dishwasher was broken, so we got a new dishwasher through American Home Shield. They approved to have the dishwasher installed. There was a problem with the wiring and they approved that also. But we went back and forth for a couple of months. I emailed all the documents from the contractor and from me, and I kept calling. They would tell me that the check was in the mail but it wasn't. It was so frustrating. Finally, I got a check for $185 for the installation, but they did not pay for the $75 wiring which originally they said they were gonna pay for. It was a big hassle and I've never had a hassle with them before. They've always been very good and I've been very happy. I've had them for 23 years, so they must be doing something right.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

They did a wonderful job with my dryer. The timing that the tech showed up was perfect for me. He completed the job and was very polite. So far, AHS has been wonderful.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

I flipped over the heat pump from AC to heat. When I flipped it over to heat, it would not come on. The techs that came out were good, to the point, said what they needed to fix it. They came back to fix it. It ended up being a wrong part. But they communicated the whole way and said that they had ordered the wrong part and they would be back the following day to have it fixed and they did. Everything's been working fine. It was a smooth experience for the first time using AHS.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

I had an issue with the garbage disposal. It was leaking water. The tech came out within 24 hours. It would have been sooner, but I couldn't meet them at the time. The tech was very nice. He did a great job. He was in and out of there within an hour. It's super easy to submit a claim with AHS. I do it all online.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

I called American Home Shield for my electric range. When we tried to turn it on, it wouldn't heat. Within two days, a repairman was here. He was polite, professional, and went right to work. It took about 15 minutes, and it was all good to go.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

I'm happy with AHS's service. They were very quick in responding to things that I report and they send quite good contractors to do the work. Gaithersburg Plumbing came out recently and they did a very professional job. We had AHS for about seven years. But then at some point, their monthly charges became too much because they kept on escalating every year. So, we tried some other agency but then we came back to American Home Shield. It's having a little bit of peace of mind, because somebody who is not very hands-on, competent enough to fix their own things, like me, I have somebody to reach out to without much of a hassle. It's very convenient.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

My pool pump went out. So the contractor replaced it. But when my AC unit went out, the people that AHS sent out weren't very nice. They also had to come out about three times because they didn't fix the problem. But the other people that's come out have been pretty good. It was just that particular company. So for certain things, maybe AHS could give the customer the ability to pick who they want to do the contract work.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

There was a clanking sound when the furnace would ignite. I was concerned that maybe something had come loose. It's a Home Shield furnace that was put in about nine years ago. The tech from J&A looked it over and he said there may have been a loose panel. He took care of everything and it's functioning fine now. He also adjusted my thermostat. He was very good. He was very prompt and pleasant. He came at a reasonable hour. He took a thorough examination of the furnace. So I was pleased with the service call.

I had another tech from J&A come out because I wasn't sure of the state of my air conditioner. It's a very old unit. I spent every summer for the last 15 years in New Mexico. So I don't use my air conditioner. But finally, I was home last summer because of what everyone else is dealing with and the air conditioner wasn't starting. So the tech took a look at it and he told me he couldn't guarantee me anything. Because this air conditioner has been idle for over a decade. But he went out and checked everything.

Some kind of tubing had fallen in between the blades of the fan that turns on the compressor. Once the tech tied that up, the air conditioner started turning again and he said, "I can't guarantee this. This thing is probably 30 years old." But it worked beautifully last summer. So I was very grateful that this fellow from J&A came out. He got it working and I was very, very pleased about that. I will give J&A a very good mark.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

I'm about to terminate American Home Shield. It's not worth it to keep paying $50 a month, and then when an appliance goes down, I have to pay $100 for them to come out here to even view the stuff. One time, my garage door wasn't working and the tech came out and he said it was working. But I told him I could not get the garage up. It locks on me. It just so happen it worked when he got here. But I still had to pay that $100. I shouldn't have had to pay that because a few months later, it stopped working again. I called the tech, and he fixed it. So it cost me $200 to get one issue fixed.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

My oven fan wasn't working. When you turn it on, it made a horrible noise. The guy that came out the first time said that it was the fan and he had to order it. Then they had to come back and install it. But when they came back, it was two other guys. They installed the fan but they sent the wrong fan. He said, “I don't think you have a bottom fan.” I said, “That's what they told me. I could be wrong.” He said, “I have to apologize to you because you do have two fans. I just haven't ever seen it.” They were very nice and courteous and got it fixed.

But I can't remember when I called back American Home Shield, because I got an email saying my order was complete, and it wasn’t. The girl I talked to was so rude and that was on American Home Shield. I told her I'm getting ready to move and I'll look into a different house warranty people because she was such a **. She was hard to understand. I wasn't hearing her very well and she said, “I told you that three times.” I said, “You were mumbling so I didn't understand the words you said.” I usually get like that with people, but she just had a really crappy attitude. But there was a guy that called me back and he was very nice. He helped me through the whole thing. He checked on me to make sure.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

Getting assistance with repair people is faster than the other one I had at my old house. When my electricity in my garage was not working I got an email from American Home Shield saying, “Hey, so and so is gonna take your claim. They'll be out tomorrow. They'll call you first thing in the morning” within less than three hours after I did the claim. And the guy was here within 14 hours. The repair people have been good. American Home Shield has saved me some money.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

I recently had a claim for my microwave and my dryer. The technician fixed my dryer and he's waiting on a part for my microwave. However, I've been waiting seven months for a part for my freezer. Every time AHS says it's on order, I think it's sitting out in the ocean. My freezer is not cooling and I'm not able to use it since May, and I bought it in February. Apparently, they don't cover freezers. I've had to do that on my own. They need to be a little more specific on what they are covering and what they aren't because they say most appliances, and I figured a freezer was an appliance, and they don't pay for that. But I've had good experiences with them other than that. I've had two pool pumps replaced and a lot of different things that they've done. They would have replaced those, but whoever did the work before when we bought the house just jimmy-jammy it, so they wouldn't cover it because it wasn't done properly.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

My garbage disposal quit working. It was leaking on the bottom and it wasn't grounding up stuff properly. I emailed American Home Shield and they sent me the name, phone number, and address of the company that was coming out. They came and put in a new garbage disposal. I also had a claim to have my dryer fixed recently. The technicians put in a new heating element in it.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

I did a heating check and American Home Shield sent someone out. The guy was very respectful of my house and I really appreciated that. He explained things very well and said everything looked good. Another time, I submitted a claim for the toilet. I was hearing the water leak for three weeks. By the time a technician got here, water wasn't leaking anymore so I wasted my money there. The technician said they were going to open the claim for 30 days and to let them know if it was leaking again. With American Home Shield, I don't have to shop for the people to do the service. They just assign someone for me. If something goes wrong, I know where to complain. I only wish there is an option in cases where if I dealt with these people before and I don't want them to come again, I can just exclude them.

American Home Shield Company Information