4.2/5 (11237 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Kathryn Parkman
Edited by Jon Bortin

About American Home Shield

American Home Shield is a home warranty company with over 1.8 million customers. It provides home service contracts that cover major home systems and appliances and offers additional protection for electronics and select maintenance services. The company has access to a network of over 17,000 licensed contractors and has paid out over $2 billion in claims over the past five years.

Pros

• 30-day workmanship guarantee
    • Flexible payment options
    • Does not require maintenance records

Cons

• Not available in Alaska
    • Some customer service complaints

Bottom Line

American Home Shield offers three warranty plans to cover systems and appliances, regardless of age. AHS provides additional coverage for electronics, pools or spas, and roof leak repairs.

American Home Shield Reviews

Over 50k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

High Priority Plumbing & Services recently came out to fix the safety switch in the handle in the tub. They took care of it right away when they came out.

American Home Shield response

Hi Leslie, We appreciate you taking time to share your warranty experience. We look forward to handling your future AHS needs. Have an amazing week.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

The evaporator on the refrigerator didn’t work and the contractor came to fix it. Everything’s up and running now. The only thing I don’t like is that American Home Shield keeps wanting to access my phone to look at the things that are bad, and I don't normally have time for that. Every single time I've used American Home Shield, their technicians come out here, they look at the issue, and they gotta go back to get the part, regardless of how much information I've given them. Nobody carries anything on their trucks anymore. So going through all that process, which is about 45 minutes of my time, is not something I want to do every time I call. Other than that, everything else has been good.

American Home Shield response

Hi Don, We really appreciate you taking time to share your warranty experience. We look forward to handling your future AHS needs. Have an amazing week.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

I've never had any problem with the contractors AHS sends out. Recently, my AC didn't work. I called on a Monday and the techs came. They got the parts and they repaired it on that Wednesday. $100 deposit is nothing compared to what it would have cost us for this problem.

American Home Shield response

We appreciate you taking time to share your warranty experience. We look forward to handling your AHS needs. Have an amazing week.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

For my recent claim with AHS for the water and ice maker, the service provided by the contractor was very good.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

American Home Shield's rep was good and professional, as well as the tech. AHS is the best.

American Home Shield response

We are happy to know that AHS is beneficial to you. Thanks for sharing your warranty experience. Have great week.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

I called American Home Shield. They were Johnny-on-the-spot. The tech was very knowledgeable. He told me everything step by step. And he had to do something else. He told me the exact amount of Freon that he had to put in it. And told me that if I had any other problems, to just reach back out to them and they would do an all points inspection. That was the first time that I had to use AHS. Because the Freon was not extremely low, they could not check for a leak. And the tech said, most likely, if it ran all of the time like I told him it did, that is what caused it to get low on Freon. But he was informative, professional, and nice. We laughed. He's the kind of service person that you would feel extremely comfortable with and about as a single person.

American Home Shield response

Thanks for sharing your warranty experience. Please let us know if you need if you need assistance. Have an amazing week.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

American Home Shield originally denied a service request to fix our air conditioner and we did not understand why. They wouldn't give us a good reason and wouldn't connect us with anyone who could. So, we filed a complaint. AHS had the AC company come out and they performed a diagnostic and determined that they needed to order a compressor. They called today and told us that the compressor will be in next week. So, they scheduled an appointment to come out on Thursday to fix it.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
    Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

It’s hit and miss with American Home Shield. I understand that they’re in business to make money. But some of their coverage issues, sometimes it seems they try to find reasons not to cover items. For example, my dishwasher doesn't clean dishes properly. Some days, it works. Some days, it doesn’t. If the technician is there, it runs properly. When they press the button, they say there's no mechanical defect. I got to put up with it until it truly doesn't run. If I wasn't paying what I pay each month, I would have just replaced the dishwasher on my own. If I have an electrician come, they’ll fix some items but not the others. Again, I chalk it up as a loss. Most of the contractors that have come have been good. However, sometimes, the customer service reps are very difficult to understand. Even explaining things that seem rational and straightforward, the workers don't always seem to understand that. That could be annoying.

American Home Shield response

Joseph, We appreciate you sharing your warranty experience. My name is Chapie’l and I will be emailing you my contact information. I would like to speak with you more about your concerns.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

I called American Home Shield in January for two toilets. The plumber serviced one, but it was way overpriced for just replacing the part. For the other one, he was attempting to replace the part and provided reasons why the toilet needed to be removed and a new one put in. What he said and what I thought were two different things. What he said was that I shouldn't use bleach tablets in the toilet because it erodes the parts. What I believe is that he didn’t want to do the job. When he was lifting himself off the floor, he tore the toilet rim. He said he would come back and replace it, and to mention his name when I would call. That was what I did eight months later. When I called to request service, there was some pushback because I waited to follow up. They would come and do it, but they would charge me $600. They said that employee was not with them anymore.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

Once I submitted the claim for the microwave door that wouldn’t open and close and paid the fee, it told me that my claim had been submitted to GE, and that somebody would be calling me to get more information. Then I got a message saying that I had an appointment set up, that that person would be in the area. It gave me a window to pick, so I picked a date that worked for me. A repairman called and told me when he was coming out. He couldn't fix the door. It had to be replaced. They had to order a door to fit it.

I just recommended American Home Shield to a friend of mine for their home. I was telling them about my microwave door and how the guy came out and replaced it. So far, it's been a positive experience. I've had to use the service twice, and both times, I haven't had any issues. There was no runaround. They sent out a contractor and did what they said they were gonna do.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

The contractor replaced a fan in my heat pump. It was very quick. They looked at it and did some routine maintenance on it, which wasn't covered by my policy. They thought it was fixed, but in the process of inspecting everything, the motor went out. So, they left. And when they put it back together, that was when the fan stopped working outright. It was working when the tech left. But he said because of the policy, he couldn't replace the fan. He said it might go anytime, but because it was still functioning, he couldn't replace it yet. But a few hours later, it outright died. I let him know. He told me to call American Home Shield and let them know. All they did was extended that call so I didn't have to pay another $75 deductible for the contractor to come and visit. He ordered the part and he had it fixed the next day. The ac now works like a champ.

American Home Shield response

We are grateful for the time that you've taken to share you AHS experience. Please let us know if you need any assistance in regards to your warranty. Have a great week.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

I like American Home Shield. A lot of it was pricing, but reviews and what the package included. But I'm not confident I would get something comparable to what I have. But that's always the case with any warranty program. I have had good techs come out. On one situation with my AC, a tech didn't do something right. And even though it was well outside of that 60 days, the second tech said, “Hey, no, that other guy did it.” And the other guy wasn't contracted with AHS. So, they okayed this guy who knew what he was doing to fix it. It all ended up okay. I was a little concerned, but we worked through it. The technician quality, overall, is very good. He was right out by 2:00 the next afternoon, and I called at 10:30 at night. I didn't speak with a live person. But I was impressed.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

We had a leak around that air conditioning unit in the closet and that caused damage inside the house. But we have that handled separately. The tech came out and he figured out it the condenser release somehow was blocked. He cleaned it out and put an automatic shut-off valve so it wouldn't happen again if it overflowed. The next day, it shut off. So, he came back out and said it was just a faulty switch and put a new one in, and it has worked fine ever since. Happy Bear has been great.

There have been other companies with American Home Shield that I haven't had the best. Most of them were good. It was just Iceman Cooling and Heating that I had an issue with. The tech was there working, but he entered my house without knocking when I had gone in to get him a drink. I have big dogs and, luckily, they happened to be outside when he sat down at my cupboard and hanging out. It was odd. But I talked to the owner of Iceman Cooling & Heating and we straightened it out. I let him know about this one technician.

The only thing that's hard is when you want to talk to somebody, you feel that it's tougher to discuss something versus, "You just got to pay your $75, and then we'll talk to you." I would just like to be able to discuss things with people first. A little more customer service end. "This is the problem that we're having. Yes, I've read my contract." But can I talk to somebody and say, "What is the best thing to select?" Especially when it's not clear. Sometimes, it's cut and dry and you know exactly what to click. But when you have questions, I wish I had a higher level of customer service for that.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

My service with American Home Shield is fantastic. We haven't used them a lot, but they're great whenever we did use them. Recently, we had a problem with the air conditioning unit, the icemaker on the refrigerator, and a leak in our faucet. The first two claims went great. Techs came out and they fixed them. The air conditioning unit was serviced two times. The techs had missed something. The company that American Home Shield had come out was lovely about coming back and fixing it again. We're in the process of the leak claim right now. It hasn't been completed.

Since I have American Home Shield, I don't have to try and search for a repair person. It’s all in one place and I can just put a claim in and somebody calls me. I assume that American Home Shield is concerned enough about their reputation that they're contracting with good and reputable businesses. So far, the ease and the response time are great. All the businesses that they have used have been lovely.

American Home Shield response

Hi Ani, We are happy to hear that we were able to resolve your claim. Thanks for sharing your AHS experience. Please let us know if you need assistance in regard to your warranty. Have a wonderful week.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

My air conditioner was blowing hot air. It would be hot, cold, hot then cold. I did a claim and the first guy that came was really mean and rude to me. After that American Plumbing and Heating came out and their tech, Marcus, was really nice. But he couldn't fix the unit. On the whole, the Home Shield warranty is awesome. Out of about everybody I've come in contact with, there were only one or two people that were rude.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

American Home Shield's service is fantastic. I've had one problem and it was taken care of right away. My plumbing started leaking from an upstairs bathroom and it went down into the light fixture below and blew it out. That was a mess. The holdup was the people AHS called. They had so many customers that they couldn't fit us in. They got out five days later. The issue got fixed right away. They did a good job and they were very professional. They kept bringing me up and showing me everything. I was very happy. I'm a very satisfied customer of AHS.

American Home Shield response

Hi Scott, We appreciate you taking time to share your warranty experience. We look forward to handling your future AHS needs. Have an amazing week.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

So far, I like AHS. They always get back in a timely fashion when you call in for work orders. Recently, the ice in my freezer was stuck. But then we had the guy work on the washing machine to stop a leak and he fixed that. He kept me informed when the product is going to be here and when he's gonna come back. He was very professional.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

American Home Shield has been good most of the time. I had one incident that I was displeased about, but I've called them on several other occasions and I've not had any incidents. I recently had an issue with my dishwasher. The contractor had to order a part. That was the first time it took as long as it took. I had to wait two and a half weeks for it to be resolved. I called them twice on an issue that I had with my garage door opener. The contractor did something. A month later, I had what I thought was the same issue. I called them again. I paid the fee for them to come out. They said, "We don't take care of that part." I was unhappy about that because it seemed like if they had told me that when they had come before, I could have at least saved the $125 for them to come back out to tell me they don't do something.

When you call for service, it's 24 hours that someone gets in contact with you. But sometimes they say they can't come. With the dishwasher, they told me they could come between 3:00 and 5:00 the next day. I told them, "I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow between 3:00 and 5:00. Can you come earlier than that?" They said, "No. If you can't take that, we can't come for till Friday." I said, "I'm gonna call American Home Shield. I'll just get someone else to come because if that's the only time you're going to give me, I'm not available and I have to wait for five more days. That doesn't work for me." Then conveniently, they were able to come earlier that same day. That is bothersome to me.

American Home Shield response

Penny, We are happy to hear that we were able to resolve your claim. Thanks for sharing your AHS experience. Please let us know if you need assistance in regard to your warranty. Have an amazing week.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

When our upstairs AC went out, I thought, “Thank God I have American Home Shield.” I did a claim online, and then it went fine. The repair man fixed it.

American Home Shield response

Wendy, We really appreciate you taking time to share your warranty experience. We look forward to handling your future AHS needs. Have an amazing week.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

I was impressed by the company that serviced my refrigerator. They came out in just a couple of days, which met my expectations, and they did a very good job.

American Home Shield response

Rebecca, We aim to provide a service that takes the hassle out of homeownership. Your feedback regarding your recent experiences with us is greatly appreciated. We look forward to serving you in the future as needed. Take Care.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

I had a clogged drain pipe on my AC and when the techs came out, they took care of it within five minutes. But initially, AHS sent me to a company that doesn't service this area and they sent me to the same company twice. They canceled the service because they don't service our area, so I finally called AHS about it. Since the repair, the AC's performance has been good.

American Home Shield response

Hi Tabitha, That's exactly what we like to hear. We are happy to know that AHS is beneficial to you. Thanks for sharing your warranty experience. Have a great week.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

AHS gets things fixed right away. We usually call over the phone to submit claims and it's easier to contact them that way. Schubert's Appliance came out recently for an appliance claim and they were real quick.

American Home Shield response

Hi Randie, One of our main objectives is to provide exceptional service and a quick resolution to all of your home warranty needs. Your feedback regarding your recent experiences with us is greatly appreciated. We look forward to serving you in the future as needed. Take Care.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

There was a freeze up and the drain pipe for the heat pump was kind of clogged. The tech from Air & Water Solutions cleaned that out and he cleaned the coils.

American Home Shield response

Hello Mario, We are happy to hear that we were able to resolve your claim. Thanks for sharing your AHS experience. Please let us know if you need assistance in regard to your warranty. Have a wonderful week.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

Updated on 10/05/2022: We have been without air conditioning in our top floor for over 3 weeks at this point. They ‘say’ it is approved but our service provider says different. We have been unable to get answers that is needed. Also with their lack of approval our unit has leaked all of its Freon requiring us to spend an additional $700+ because our contract only pays for a $10 per pound. (If you use them check your contract.) Freon is approximately $125 per pound. Is it common for a warranty company to be so slow in approval?

Original Review: Our upstairs air unit became inoperable. After calling their number several times and speaking with representatives who were unable to transfer you to someone who could answer, they only gave platitudes. We were told numerous times our problem was in the authorization department and would be expedited. That was two weeks ago. The last customer representative informed me she was in Columbia South America and could not transfer me. It is 98 degrees and my upstairs in uninhabitable and no one could give me information. The contractor that was sent to our home on the first service call did give us a couple of days of air but we were required to pay $300 for Freon. We can have him return again but we would be required to pay another large amount while we wait on "authorization". At this point their timely manner is a falsehood.

American Home Shield response

Hi Tom and Donna, We appreciate you sharing your warranty experience. My name is Chapie’l and I will be emailing you my contact information. I would like to speak with you more about your concerns.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

American Home Shield is great. However, I'm not too pleased with the last contractor who brought in the washer. I called Home Shield and they gave me a number to call. I called and told the contractor my problem. This was on a Monday. The rep said, "Well, we'll not get it there till Friday." I said that that was a long two weeks. Then she said, "That's the only way we can do it." And she said I could speak to her manager. I told the manager the rep was very rude on the phone. The manager told me and explained this to me and said the contractor only goes to my area two days a week and the next available one is Friday. So, I'm still waiting for my washer.

But with AHS, I'm very, very satisfied with them. They return your calls and they do what they promise to do. They take care of everything you ask for, so I'm really pleased with them. I even told my friends and one of my friend joined two weeks ago.

American Home Shield response

Hi Cosmas, We appreciate you taking time to share your warranty experience. We look forward to handling your future AHS needs. Have an amazing week.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

The dryer was not drying and the contractor fixed it. It went very, very good.

American Home Shield response

Sonia, That's exactly what we like to hear. We are happy to know that AHS is beneficial to you. Thanks for sharing your warranty experience. Have a great week.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

Dealing with AHS has been rough and submitting a request was kludgy. When the contractor never showed up, I took care of the issue in a different way. I was supposed to get a refund on that and that took months. So, it locked me out of my contract that I'm paying for every month when I didn't have any access to anything. That's ridiculous and that thing needs to happen faster.

When I contacted the office, the gal who manages the contractor side immediately said to do a refund because they couldn't do the job. But I had to call and bug people about my refund. AHS said they were waiting for the contractor but I told them that they weren't because the contractor already told me that they didn't. Besides that, I don't mind other minor things. Depending on where you live, things could be a little off and AHS could also do more on their website. But the last experience I had was wonderful and the contractor who was contacted was very professional and straightforward.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

I’m happy with the service of AHS. Recently, I had my plumbing worked on. There was another part of the plumbing that they wouldn't cover, so I wasn't too thrilled with that. Other than that, it was all right. The plumber was also very nice.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

When I submitted a claim with AHS, they told us who was going to come. Then Coulee Locks called us themselves and told us that they would come and gave us the guy's name. He showed up and was very good. Everything was functioning lock-wise.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

I like being able to call American Home Shield and getting service done promptly. I used AHS once before in the wintertime for my heater. They took care of it. I had them recently for my AC. The contractor was good. They also took care of it. So far, we're satisfied.

American Home Shield Company Information