American Home Shield

Author picture
Written by Kathryn Parkman
Edited by Jon Bortin

About American Home Shield Reviews

American Home Shield is a home warranty company with over 1.8 million customers. It provides home service contracts that cover major home systems and appliances and offers additional protection for electronics and select maintenance services. The company has access to a network of over 17,000 licensed contractors and has paid out over $2 billion in claims over the past five years.

Pros

• 30-day workmanship guarantee
    • Flexible payment options
    • Does not require maintenance records

Cons

• Not available in Alaska
    • Some customer service complaints

Bottom Line

American Home Shield offers three warranty plans to cover systems and appliances, regardless of age. AHS provides additional coverage for electronics, pools or spas, and roof leak repairs.

Over 50k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: May 10, 2022

We sold our home and moved out, so obviously we don't need and can't possibly use this policy, yet they are charging us a cancellation fee. Essentially, they are charging us for a service they are not providing. Their excuse is that it's "in the contract". The policy was originally chosen by the people who sold us the house, so we didn't have any choice based on what was in the contract. I notice that whenever someone posts a negative review, they apologize, but don't do anything to remedy the situation. There are other home protection companies available. I've dealt with them at other homes, and much preferred them in terms of both service and attitude.

American Home Shield response

I certainly hate to hear that you have received less than satisfactory service & I apologize for the inconvenience. Thanks for sharing your feedback. Have a great week.

Original review: May 10, 2022

The washer acted up. It was a spin cycle thing pump that had to be replaced. A guy came in and fixed it. He did a great job. We also had a claim for a leak coming in the bathroom. The plumber came out and he looked in the crawlspace and said it was a leaking pipe. He said he repaired it. He did a decent job. But days later, we still kept getting water on the bathroom floor. So I had another plumber come out from a real good certified company that I used in the past. They came out today and looked at it. They said the water was coming from the grease box. So they're gonna come back and cut it off. But the plumber that I used through American Home Shield didn't catch it. When people come out to check stuff, they should be more thorough about checking the problem.

Original review: May 10, 2022

Having American Home Shield, I have no worries and I can get in touch with them if a repair seems like something that my husband can't do on his own. The air was blowing from the AC but it wasn't cool. A tech from Comfort First Heating came out and he was really nice. The issue was the capacitor and we were happy that it was able to be repaired. Also, he showed us some pictures of what the unit looks like under the house and that we'd wanna consider replacing it in the short term, which we were kind of aware of.

Original review: May 10, 2022

The dishwasher wasn't coming on. They gave me the name and the rough time that they were coming and told me that they would call me before they arrived. They showed up a little bit earlier than they said and everything worked out. They looked at it and they left. They said they had to order a part, and when the part came in, they came back and fixed it. They were fast and they did what they needed.

Original review: May 10, 2022

The techs were awesome. They got my issue fixed really quickly. They were clean and really nice and professional. I'm really happy with AHS. They send people that do good work out.

Original review: May 10, 2022

American Home Shield is fantastic. We had another warranty company before them that didn't do anything. With American Home Shield, anytime we have a problem, they're right there to fix it for us. They work to try to help the people that have an issue with something that needs to be repaired in a home. We've had them out to look at and repair our furnace. It couldn't be repaired so they replaced it. Recently, I had problems with my washing machine. They couldn't be repaired so they're replacing it. They also took care of some plumbing that we had problems with. For the washing machine, they sent somebody out who didn't even look at it. He said we had a problem with too much soap. I let American Home Shield know that it hadn't been fixed and they sent somebody else out. He took the whole thing apart, looked at it and found the problem. It depends on which person gets sent out but most of the time, we don't have any problems at all. They do their job well.

Original review: May 10, 2022

My refrigerator door has a flap when you open the left side of it that connects into the door to seal it. The spring was broken on the flap. I called in to report the claim and when the representative completed the claim, she asked me to take my phone and she videod the problem that I was having on the refrigerator door. She also videoed the model and serial number on the inner right-hand side of the refrigerator inside. She told me that they would submit that to Stephen's Appliance so they would know exactly what they're coming out for.

Stephen's Appliance came out the next day and knew exactly what the issue was when I showed it to them. They had to order the part and within five days, the tech was back out here. It took him approximately three minutes to put the part on and repaired it. They were very nice and professional. American Home Shield also replaced a washing machine for me. I was very pleased with that. I have all my appliances on American Home Shield. It is a very good thing to have.

Original review: May 10, 2022

My central air unit is old. I pay for people to come out and keep it clean, but it's barely kicking. It was very easy to put in a claim to American Home Shield. They responded very fast. They told me that Fast Response was coming to service my air conditioning. The guys who came were very professional and seemed to be knowledgeable. They had to reset my thermostat and put some Freon in it. They've got to come back Friday because it can't keep up with the heat.

Original review: May 10, 2022

Our unit was making a really loud noise, so we called American Home Shield. They sent a company out the next day. The tech listened to it and diagnosed it within two minutes. He found the part we needed and then got it that day. He came back and it was fixed that afternoon.

Original review: May 10, 2022

I had a leak underneath my kitchen sink, and a young man came out and fixed something on it the same day. He said something was worn off, so he just replaced it and stopped the leak. He did good and I had no problems with him. I like that American Home Shield pays for anything that has been worn out. This is my first time having to use the warranty since I've had it and it was a great experience. They were able to cover the majority of the price of it. The warranty that I first had wasn't a really good one. But if my friends ask me what I think about American Home Shield, I would tell them that they're pretty legit and they're good to have.

Original review: May 10, 2022

Complete Air Mechanical did a great job for our basic cleaning claim to American Home Shield. I contacted AHS because other companies are saying they're with AHS and they say "We want to do this" and then they're not. I spoke with a representative who was very professional. Everything was fine.

Original review: May 10, 2022

I've used American Home Shield for our problems and I like their website. It's good. After putting in the claim, the contractor called and we set up an appointment. They told me who would be coming out and about what time they'd be here. Then they got here when they were supposed to be here and it was who they said would be here. I've also talked to two reps and they were both really good. They answered all of our questions. American Home Shield has a good reputation and they seem to be doing good, even though we did have a problem and it was fixed.

Original review: May 10, 2022

My electric range was not working properly. The rep was pleasant. The techs came in a week and diagnosed the problem quickly. They found out that the issue wasn't the stove but the electricity and they don't do that. So, we had to reschedule. The electricians were there the next day.

Original review: May 10, 2022

I've had American Home Shield before and I wasn’t happy. But they informed me that they changed some of their coverage policies and so far, I have been happy with those changes that they made. It covered more than what they did before. Also, they're quick to get our service request handled.

Original review: May 10, 2022

There was no hot water. I went back and looked at the hot water heater and there was water. It wasn't leaking, but it was wet in the tray. The breaker was still on, but the water heater wasn't heating up. We called American Home Shield and they sent out a guy. He determined that the internals of it had burst and the heating element had gotten wet and shorted it out. American Home Shield ordered another water heater and the guy came back and fixed us all up. It went flawless. We had to call American Home Shield two different times. One time, we had a natural gas leak underneath the oven. That was just two or three weeks ago, which made me feel guilty about having to call them a second time on the water heater. But those guys came out and figured out what it was. I'm extremely pleased with American Home Shield's work and promptness.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
    Original review: May 10, 2022

It was really hard to schedule an AC tune-up with American Home Shield. I'm not really sure it's gonna be worth the cost. They didn't call me back for several days in the first place. Then, the first time they could schedule something was several weeks out. The date scheduled is next Monday, which is over two weeks from when it was requested initially.

Grant,

Are you still in need of assistance?

Original review: May 10, 2022

We had American Home Shield at the last home that we owned. When we sold the home, we got rid of it. So, when we bought our new home in 2019, we went back to them again because they’ve always been good with us. They’re reliable. Things don’t happen always, but when they do, it’s good to have a warranty that’ll cover things that they say they’ll cover.

I had put a request around September last year because my AC stopped working, and the first people they sent out, which was Island Breeze, stated that I needed a whole new AC unit. So, I put another request in and paid the fee again, and they sent Mandolin out. Their guy told me that it was just the heater coil and that they had one nearby that they could replace. He was excellent. He was very knowledgeable. Overall, American Home Shield stands by their words. If it’s in the contract, they will cover it.

Original review: May 10, 2022

The refrigerator in one of my rentals wasn't cooling enough. The contractor that came out communicated very well. They had to come back with parts and to get it approved by American Home Shield. But I haven't had any other complaints since the repair. With American Home Shield, I can just call them, put in a ticket and I'm assigned to a repair person right away. Then I usually speak with them within a few hours of that happening, which is awesome.

Original review: May 10, 2022

The fan motor stopped running on the one of the air conditioners. I got online, made the claim, paid $100, and by the next day, it was fixed. It went smoothly. The tech seemed very knowledgeable. I liked him. I don't know what it would have cost me had I not had American Home Shield. So, I hope it will always be good and easy, and will work out perfectly.

Original review: May 10, 2022

Recently, Bear Plumbing came because the kitchen sink was coming up. They did what they needed to do and they helped. But I've been considering dropping American Home Shield because we're paying 600 something a year. The biggest things that we've had in the last 10 years were the dishwasher that broke and we got a newer dishwasher. And then the water heater in the garage was also changed.

Original review: May 10, 2022

My experience has been fine. Setting up a claim is easy online and they respond quickly. The contractor for plumbing came on time and called me with updates. They did a good job.

Original review: May 10, 2022

American Home Shield sent Royal Flush to do my AC tune-up. They were good. They explained what they were doing. Initially, it was great. They were knowledgeable but not talking around us and not trying to sell us a whole bunch of stuff we didn't need. But then, they did sell us on a couple of overflow buttons, knobs, and something for the upstairs. Then they installed them incorrectly. Now, we have a huge leak into the overflow pans, and it's leaking outside the house now.

I contacted AHS about it four times. I talked to Royal Flush twice. When I spoke to them this morning, they said that they needed a work order. So, then I called AHS back. By the time AHS reached out to them or got me situated to have somebody come back and fix it, Royal Flush said they're no longer taking work orders. So, I've got to wait on another AC company to come out. This is the second time I've had some sort of issue with a claim. Trying to get the issue resolved is time-consuming, and I can never get ahold of a supervisor. I get told the same thing over and over again.

Original review: May 9, 2022

For two weeks, American Home Shield lied to me. During the first time, they said, “Oh, I'll send an email of what you need.” Then I said, “I’m gonna stay on the phone so I’ll get the email.” But I was told that it would take 24 hours and that they would have to send it to their manager, and then their manager would approve it. I didn't like that, but I waited 24 hours. I called them back the next day. The next person that got on the phone told me, “No, he was wrong. It’s a 48-hour wait before we can get the email sent to you.” Then two weeks later, nothing came. I asked them for a receipt of every hundred dollar service that came. Their customer service is the absolute worst of any company I have ever spoken to in my life.

American Home Shield doesn’t give me receipts for what they charge me. They don't tell me that they have been out there or leave any kind of information as to the date, the company names, the things that were fixed, the things that weren't fixed, or things that need to be fixed that you will have to pay for. No details whatsoever. I have to beg them for these for tax purposes. It is insane.

When I call American Home Shield to get a live human being, it can take up to 45 minutes and that's a major problem. I give American Home Shield the note of what the contractor is coming out for, but when the contractor comes, they didn’t write down everything I told them. Then the tech is not allowed to do anything that's not already marked on the order. I don’t even get a copy of that order when completed. It’s a real nightmare. As soon as I finalize whatever I have to finalize, I'm canceling American Home Shield and rating them horribly all over social media.

American Home Shield response

I apologize for the inconvenience we've caused. My name is Stacy and I will contact you about your unresolved concerns.

Original review: May 9, 2022

It's easy to call AHS on the web whenever I have any problem. My washer was not working properly and water was continuously leaking. A tech from Appliance Protection came and fixed it.

Original review: May 9, 2022

I filed a claim recently with AHS. It was relatively quick and easy. My refrigerator went out. They had the service tech come out to see if it could be repaired, but it could not. They provided the process to go to their appliance portal in hopes of getting a similar refrigerator. From what was available, I didn't see any in stock that was readily available. Because my refrigerator was the only one for the home, I needed one that day. I ended up having to go to one of our local appliance stores to get a refrigerator instead. They notified me that the payment would take about 21 days, so we're still within that 21-day period. Up until this point, I've been rather pleased with the support I received thus far. With the way things are going, it seems like they are taking care of business and I appreciate that.

Original review: May 9, 2022

My AC was down. A tech said my motherboard was not working properly. He told me, “I have a new one for you for $1,500, and we could put it in right now.” I said, “No, no, no. I got the home warranty stuff.” So, I called American Home Shield and they sent Summer Breeze. Their tech did a few tests in 10 minutes and he said, “Hey, your voltage was off.” The AC was on in 10 minutes, blowing. Summer Breeze knew what they were doing. The guy was professional and really fast. I recommend them. They went above and beyond.

Original review: May 9, 2022

American Home Shield is a good home warranty. I get covered on a lot of things. It'd be nice to get an earlier scheduled appointment but everybody's kind of short, so it's not a huge deal. The guy who came out was cool. He did the job. The initial issue was I didn't have an option to put on my AC on on my thermostat. He told me it was the configuration. He said it was a coding error in the thermostat and he managed to get it back on quickly. It didn’t take him that long to check my refrigerant levels and he said that my refrigerant levels for my AC unit is good enough to par. There's only one little problem. I don't know how to fix the configuration. My AC won't kick on until the house reaches 77 degrees.

Original review: May 9, 2022

American Home Shield's service has been good so far. I don't have to look for any contractor so when I call in, they find one and that's the most advantageous to me. I also know how much I'm spending in terms of the deductible so I can plan accordingly. If something goes wrong, they will take care of it. I recently had an issue with my ceiling fan. I called AHS and they sent somebody. Getting to them was difficult and I got an appointment after a few days. Once they came in, they were very professional and proficient. They couldn't fix the unit and they ended up replacing it. That was a good experience.

I have come across a couple of bad incidents as well. AHS always sends us a thing for a free air conditioner checkup or free heating checkup before the season. That costs $75 which is fine. But if something is wrong, they open another service call and take another deductible. I strongly believe there should not be another deductible. If there is a repair cost that is not covered, customers are happy to pay. But since techs came and checked, that should be covered under that service request. Also, if I call them for any billing questions, it's a nightmare and I never get any solutions. For a duplicate charge, I called them seven times and I ended up paying them because it was not worth my time. That’s the one thing I would like AHS to improve on.

Original review: May 9, 2022

Having American Home Shield, I like how quickly an issue gets addressed. Everything's good as far as the communication and the efficiency in getting somebody out. However, the contractor has been out twice and still haven't got the problem with the AC resolved. They've replaced the part and it's still messed up. It doesn’t blow. I have two units in my house, and the one upstairs is fine. The one that's messed up is my downstairs unit. The problem with that is that downstairs unit is the big one.

The inside unit is in the attic and the first guy that came out was determined to tell me that it was the unit that was in the closet. The next time before the other guy came out with the part, I turned off the AC upstairs and kicked on the one downstairs. Sure enough, it was the unit that's in the attic. He went up there briefly and said everything was fine. I kind of feel bad because they replaced the part on the outside but it's still not turning on so I don't know if it's something up there. They're supposed to come out on Friday which would be the third time they'd be out.

Original review: May 9, 2022

My outlet that was outdoor of my home was not working. I did a claim through the American Home Shield website. Western Electrical came out on time, and it was a great experience. The tech fixed my problem and he also let me know how to fix it in the future, which is very helpful.

American Home Shield Company Information