4.2/5 (11237 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Kathryn Parkman
Edited by Jon Bortin

About American Home Shield

American Home Shield is a home warranty company with over 1.8 million customers. It provides home service contracts that cover major home systems and appliances and offers additional protection for electronics and select maintenance services. The company has access to a network of over 17,000 licensed contractors and has paid out over $2 billion in claims over the past five years.

Pros

• 30-day workmanship guarantee
    • Flexible payment options
    • Does not require maintenance records

Cons

• Not available in Alaska
    • Some customer service complaints

Bottom Line

American Home Shield offers three warranty plans to cover systems and appliances, regardless of age. AHS provides additional coverage for electronics, pools or spas, and roof leak repairs.

American Home Shield Reviews

Over 50k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

The AC at my son’s condo wasn’t turning on and he called American Home Shield. He called last year for a similar issue and did not have a great experience. But this time, it was much better. The contractor was very professional, clean and knew right what to do. I purchased a thermostat and asked him to put it on. And everything’s been great.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

American Home Shield sucks. They raise my rates 10% a year. I recently filed a claim for a pool pump. They fixed the bad bearing in the motor, but they refused to fix the plumbing. They said it wasn't due to normal wear and tear. This is the second time with pool equipment that they've refused a portion of the service. Once was on my pop-up system, which is part of the plumbing, and now, another plumbing, although they say they cover all the plumbing. As soon as I can find a new home warranty company, I will drop American Home Shield and pick up the other company.

American Home Shield response

Hello Terry, We appreciate you sharing your warranty experience. My name is Chapie’l and I will be emailing you my contact information. I would like to speak with you more about your concerns.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
    Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

I filed the claim online and I spoke to someone. Good experience. Also, the contractor has come and fixed the plumbing. They were very good. I'm very much satisfied. The only thing was they charged me the coming fee, which was okay, but after that, American Home Shield charged me around $250 most. I don't know why, because I am in their platinum plan. So, everything should be covered for free, except a visit fee, which is $75. But they charged me $235 most after that. When that Grade Plumbing guy came, they had the bill for $235 through AHS. I don't know why should I have to pay that. Even the guys who did my thing were also surprised. They said, “They should not charge you anything.” When I called AHS, it was on the hold 45 minutes to one hour. I'm a working guy. I don't have that much time.

American Home Shield response

Hi Vikram, We appreciate you sharing your warranty experience. My name is Chapie’l and I will be emailing you my contact information. I would like to speak with you more about your concerns.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
    Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

I like the idea of security that if I have a problem, I can get it fixed. But I feel I got ripped off. My air conditioning died one afternoon, and I called American Home Shield. It worked fine on the morning of before I called around Friday 11 o’clock. When I started checking it out, I realized it wasn't working at all, and I called. I called midday on a Friday before the holiday weekend. I'm in Las Vegas. Not only is it hot, but I was sick. The rep said, “We won't be able to get anybody until next week.” I said, "I don't know where you're at, but we are under an excessive heat warning. And I'm sick. And I really, really need this fixed.” She went away, left me on hold. A few minutes later, she came back and said they would be out in the morning between 8:00 and 10:00. I was thrilled and I said, "Thank you." And they did, they got there bright and early, around a little after 8:00. And they went out and checked the unit. Was out for a very short time and came back.

When the person came back to the door, now there were two people instead of one. They said, “Your unit has leaked all of its Freon out.” What they said was 10 pounds to fill it, and that's not covered by the warranty. It was $114 per pound. So, the bill was over $1,000. They filled it, I paid the bill and they went on their way. I was happy that they came out right away and were there early. But I was strangled by the idea of having to pay $1,000 when I have this home warranty that I pay for every month. But that was that. I was happy the air conditioning is working.

Here's where my unhappy part comes in. I have had three people tell me that I couldn't possibly need 10 pounds. These units hold three to five pounds. These people that I've talked to were professionals in another town, or retired or, lay people of some sort. I spent over $1,000. And now, I've got several people telling me that that should have never happened.

I have a second story that I'm unhappy about this past week. That air conditioning happened over the holiday weekend of September. And a week or so after that, the door on my dishwasher broke in that instead of moving down slowly, it slams down heavily, crashes to the floor. So, some piece that holds the spring broke. I called AHS. They sent out a guy. The guy came out and spent 5 or 10 minutes. And he told me that the piece that needed to be replaced on the door was inside the hole. And he has to remove the dishwasher to be able to fix it. But he couldn't get the dishwasher out of the hole. So, AHS called me and said, “Getting somebody to pull that out isn't covered. So you've either got to pull it out yourself, or you've got to pay somebody to come remove it, and then we'll come back and fix it." My price also went up, right at a good substantial amount for my new year starting October. So at the moment, I'm not happy with them.

American Home Shield response

Ruth, We appreciate you sharing your warranty experience. My name is Chapie’l and I will be emailing you my contact information. I would like to speak with you more about your concerns.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

When the tech came, he tried the washing machine and there was no water coming. He said the issue was something concerning the water and that the needed part had been discontinued for that brand of washer. He was a nice guy and his attitude was good. The washer that we have now is working.

American Home Shield response

We appreciate you taking time to share your warranty experience. We look forward to handling your AHS needs. Have an amazing week.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

American Home Shield is a good company. They always send somebody out quickly. A plumber recently came out, looked and said, “It's not the water heater.” It was the AC unit so we got switched to an HVAC company. A repairman came out and fixed it. He was thorough. He said that something was clogged and he unclogged it.

American Home Shield response

Hi Lisa, We really appreciate you taking time to share your warranty experience. We look forward to handling your future AHS needs. Have an amazing week.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

When I had some toilet problem, I called it in then a plumber came out, fixed it, and told me everything about it. I enjoyed what he said. I would tell people to try American Home Shield and take a chance on it. It's good.

American Home Shield response

We are happy to know that AHS is beneficial to you. Thanks for sharing your warranty experience. Have great week.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

I like American Home Shield a lot. On their end, it's extremely fast. Sometimes the service may take a few days to get them to respond. If you call on the weekend, you might not get a call till Monday. But usually, I have somebody out within a day or two of my call. I've had everything from the dryer, the washing machine, and the microwave. I've always been satisfied with what happened with my technicians. They've all been very polite and on time. They work hard and don't leave a mess. I just had them last week come in and do the fan that was out in one of the bathrooms. That guy was in and out in 10 minutes. He told me, “I have to replace the motor.” He went to his truck, came back and replaced it. There was only one time I was disappointed with American Home Shield. But it was also a weekend thing.

American Home Shield response

Hello Toni, Thanks for sharing your warranty experience. Please let us know if you need assistance. Have an amazing week.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

The techs fixed my freezer on my refrigerator. They also came out to do a maintenance on my air conditioner. Both times, they were very friendly and the service went well.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

The dryer did not have any heat when we did a load of laundry so I went online and scheduled a service call. Triple Crown Mechanical came out and the technician was awesome. He replaced the heating element and the relay for the heating element.

American Home Shield response

Hi Roger, We are happy to hear that we were able to resolve your claim. Thanks for sharing your AHS experience. Please let us know if you need assistance in regard to your warranty.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

I would tell others AHS has proven to be handy for us. I had a claim for the air conditioner several months ago and All American Services, the contractor, was good. Most recently, the washing machine was not spinning and it took two weeks to get the repair done.

American Home Shield response

Hi John, We are happy to hear that we were able to resolve your claim. Thanks for sharing your AHS experience. Please let us know if you need assistance in regard to your warranty.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

I had a claim to American Home Shield on the garage door. It worked out okay. The guy came, and he did show me what to do and the button to do the garage door. After he left, he let me know that I would have to convert the hardwired garage door to a plug-in garage door for them to work on it. At least he gave me enough knowledge that after he left, I found out that it had tripped a breaker. Once I knew where the actual push button to open the garage door was, I could get the breaker set, and then my garage door works fine.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

The AC has stopped working. Somebody called us about the time they were gonna be out here. They came and then they called us back about what they had done to repair it, what they had seen, and what the issue was. Everything was great. American Home Shield responds quickly, and they're pretty fast once we submit the issues that we're having. They don't take long to take care of the issues. We've been very pleased with them.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

My compressor went out and AHS sent Heat & Cool Care. They cleaned the compressor, made some repairs, which seemed to fix things. But 36 hours later, went out again. But, the guys that came out were wonderful. They explained everything. They talked to me about the capacitor and things I didn't even know about. When they came back out, they did some other adjustments and it still continued to be a problem. The part of the unit that's in the house, where the furnace is, the water pump was not working. I had a water leak that was occurring. But they got it up and running again. We bypassed using the water pump and I had a bucket that the water would go into until they could see if they could find a compatible pump.

But then my compressor went out again. It was on its last legs. I said, "Is this repairable?" The tech said, "No. Really, it needs to be replaced." He showed me the date of installation on my original setup and it was 1988. So it had lived a good life. The decision was made to replace it because this was just going to keep happening. The temperatures are 105 here and no air conditioning. They installed my air conditioning and heater, 'cause it's all one unit and a new compressor. They took care of all of that. They've exceeded my expectations. I'm more than pleased with the work that they've done.

American Home Shield response

Hi Janet, We appreciate you taking time to share your warranty experience. We look forward to handling your future AHS needs. Have an amazing week.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

The refrigerator started leaking. I called American Home Shield. ADA Repair looked at it. They said they had to order a compressor. It took a week before they came back. They put in the compressor and replaced that. But it still didn't seem right to me. So, I had to call them back out. They said, “What seems to be the problem?” I said, “It's not making ice. I'm not sure what the problem is.” I said it was making ice before. He said he had to blow out the line. So, he used some little pin that I found and he cleaned out the line and made sure all the settings were right and he was on his way. It seems a little colder than I normally run it, especially the refrigerator. But everything's working fine.

However, I've had some bad experiences with AHS as well. The one before this was not a good experience. It was a refrigerator issue also and it had a leak. It had something broken on the door. It was with the house that my son lives in with his wife. So, we called them but the techs couldn't come out for three days. In the process, their food would have just all gone bad. I didn't have room for their food in my house. So, I went to Lowe's and I had to buy a new refrigerator. When the techs came out, they said, “We can't fix this ‘cause it's in the garage.” So, they went on their way and I was out 75 bucks and it still wasn’t fixed. I was also out another 2,000 for a new refrigerator. As a result of that, I did away with American Home Shield for that house.

American Home Shield response

Richard, We really appreciate you taking time to share your warranty experience. We look forward to handling your future AHS needs. Have an amazing week.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

I've been having the same problem since I moved to the house. There was no hot water heater since August 8th. We had an inspection in July and it was good but when we moved, there was no water pressure. I had the guy named Steve from Home Inspection Shield and he said he didn't wanna do the job. You have to get into the ground because the ball valve and the water valve were not working. That was why we didn't get any pressure. He would have to break the cement in the ground and he didn’t wanna do it.

I called Roto-Rooter and the guy that came did the whole thing. He got in the ground and put new stuff in there. We then had water but it was cold. I had to pay out of pocket $1,500 for the Toto-Rooter guy to do that job. I asked Home Shield if they could call someone else. I was told that Steve was the only one that works out of my area. But that's not true because they later called Adrian. Adrian come out three times. He was very good and we like him. He could clearly see that we didn't have any hot water and he was reporting everything that he saw. Home Shield didn't wanna give us a hot water heater that’s 1,600 and something dollars. They were going by policies and procedures.

Home Shield had Adrian keep coming out. He had to order different parts that we needed for the hot water to work. He would get something and see if that worked. When that didn't work, Home Shield would have him try something else and order another part. It was a bunch of drama. We just got hot water this past Monday. I'm debating if I wanna keep Home Shield.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

I had an issue with a solenoid switch on the compressor on the refrigerator freezer. I reached out to American Home Shield by phone and they were fantastic. A tech came and I watched him do the repair. I've had good service with American Home Shield and I've been with them for many years. They replaced my air conditioner.

There was only one time that I had a problem with the home warranty. It was one of their contractors up in O'Fallon, Illinois. I had a sump pump plugged up and it flooded my basement. The sump pump froze up because of dirt in the pump. The guy that came out told American Home Shield it was my fault dirt got into the sump pump. But it had to do with the way the house is built where there's a drain line at the base around the place where the water goes into the sump from the rain outside. I had a lower basement entrance and then steps to go up out of the basement. I ended up having to pay 500 and some dollars for a new sump pump. I filed a claim and explained to American Home Shield how the house is built. They never came back to me about that.

American Home Shield response

Hi Henry, We aim to provide a service that takes the hassle out of homeownership. Your feedback regarding your recent experiences with us is greatly appreciated. We look forward to serving you in the future as needed. Take Care.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

We had an issue with our hot water heater. It was quite old and AHS replaced it for us. When we filed a claim, the techs came out within one day. We had Van Allen and they're a very good plumbing company. We had polite workers, too. They needed approval for a hot water tank because they could not repair what we had any longer, and they said that the approval would come fairly quickly. But then they would have to try to find a hot water heater. So, after they got the approval, the insurance company told them it was at a warehouse somewhere and they picked it up on the same day. Aside from this claim, we also called AHS out a couple of times and we had issues, but they took care of them. So, we kept the policy all these years and we’re extremely pleased with them.

American Home Shield response

Hi Sherry, That's exactly what we like to hear. We are happy to know that AHS is beneficial to you. Thanks for sharing your warranty experience. Have a great week.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

I've been very satisfied with everything that I needed. It's one of the things when it rains it pours situations with the old home and issues that happened with it. I just happened to have American Home Shield when I had some problems going on and was able to use it. I put in two claims for the AC. One was for the AC unit to be replaced, another was for the ducting in the house. Not all of the vents in the house were getting airflow through them. The contractor that I used was very nice. He was super helpful. I was able to make an appointment right away and take that out quickly. Everything seems to be working that they worked on good so far.

American Home Shield response

Hi Alysandra, That's exactly what we like to hear. We are happy to know that AHS is beneficial to you. Thanks for sharing your warranty experience. Have a great week.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

The refrigerator's drain line was plugged and the refrigerator was leaking. Also, the icemaker worked, but the door of the shoot from the ice to the outside was not working. So, the ice would melt in the icemaker. The contractor fixed that as well. They put a new door on it. Everything went fine.

American Home Shield response

Hi Candy, Thanks for sharing your warranty experience. Please let us know if you need assistance. Have an amazing week.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

American Home Shield sent A&M for a water heater leak. They were pretty quick to fix it. There’s been no issue.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

I have been an American Home Shield (AHS) customer since December 2008. I have had to call them three (3) times to fix a problem covered under my contract. However, although AHS lists items as covered, it is limited to the point they cannot cover the costs of any repairs you may need in your home. My toilet needed to be replaced in July 2018 (10.5 years of paying monthly to AHS). At first, I was denied as they deemed the problem "the bolts were too tight, and they do not cover this." I fought it; as I have mentioned, I've been an honest paying customer for over 11 years. After several back-and-forth conversations with AHS, they agreed to replace the toilet with a much smaller, cheaper model. I wasn't asking for an expensive model but an ADA-compliant that I had in my home. Eventually, I did get a comparable toilet a month later. Paid my $75 deductible.

My second call to AHS was in March 2021 (13.25 years of paying monthly to AHS) my refrigerator went out. It took them two days to get a technician in here. The technician said he couldn't service it because moving it from the wall was his job. I had to inform him that it was his job because 1) I was not informed that I had to move my refrigerator, and 2) I wasn't strong enough to move it. Then, I had to break the news that he would have to remove the doors to move the refrigerator because of where the oven was. There again, I was informed that wasn't his job.

Again, I had to tell him that these are all duties of a refrigerator technician and I'll be glad to call his company to send another technician who can perform these duties. He took off the doors and rolled the refrigerator out, only to tell me that I needed a new compressor that would take at least 3-weeks to arrive. I denied the service to replace my compressor, paid my $75 deductible, and bought a refurbished refrigerator.

My water heater started leaking on Thursday, September 2, 2021, before Labor Day. I called AHS and let them know the situation's urgency as I am on the 4th floor of a condo, and they sent a technician out the next day. This plumber said that he minimized the leak and that I should put a towel in the drain pan because he wouldn't be able to get here with a water heater until Tuesday (because Monday was Labor Day).

So, I spent the weekend changing towels on my water heater. Tuesday comes, and he cannot get the water heater until the next day, Wednesday. Wednesday comes, and who shows up with a water heater twice the size of my existing water heater? Yes, AHS plumber. Of course, he needs to return this water heater and get the correct size water heater. I get a call on Thursday that he can't get the correct size water heater until next week. Wednesday, September 15th, the plumber arrives, again, with not the right size water heater.

My choices: he can remove a portion of my wall or order a water heater, which will take three weeks. I called the AHS representative that I had her personal cell number - only to be berated by her that "AHS doesn't cover access -- if you do not provide access, that is on you," and she hung up on me. So I allowed this plumber to remove a partial wall, cut a huge hole in the wall behind the water heater, and he shoved it in. But he knows a guy who can fix my wall.

I contacted AHS to let them know that this is unacceptable. The cost to repair my wall was going to cost over $700. They sent me a check for $150. I do not want to go over the situation with the wall correction -- that was not on AHS but on me for allowing this plumber's recommendation to fix it. However, he couldn't fix the huge hole behind the water heater without removing it. So, that is still there.

After all this, I looked up the companies that AHS sent to my home. On the BBS website, all are rated F. It is 2022, and I have tried MULTIPLE calls to AHS to cancel my contract. To no avail, I cannot get through to the AHS department where you can cancel. I cannot log into my account and cancel because I need to talk to a customer service representative. Now, I have reached out to BofA to cancel my card because AHS keeps charging me $52.99 monthly. I'm done dealing with AHS. They have not been helpful or friendly.

I am fearful that they will either override my MasterCard and keep charging on my new card number or that they will send me to collections on a service I've tried to cancel numerous times. BEWARE! I recommend you save your hard-earned money for repairs you may need in your home. This company abuses its authority.

American Home Shield response

Hi Sheri, We appreciate you sharing your warranty experience. My name is Chapie’l and I will be emailing you my contact information. I would like to speak with you more about your concerns.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

Avoid AHS at all costs. I had no AC for almost a month and they completely ignored me. Was talking with some lady Tina who kept promising the world and then would just stop responding. I ended up having to pay to get a new AC on my own ac because they DO NOT CARE about you. They just want to get you locked into a subscription so they can drain your bank account over years and years. Biggest scam. Can't believe they are even in business.

American Home Shield response

Hi David, We appreciate you sharing your warranty experience. My name is Chapie’l and I will be emailing you my contact information. I would like to speak with you more about your concerns.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

They are a complete scam! Buyer beware! I've been waiting 3 weeks for AC repair and they still haven't ordered the part. They require contractors to order parts through them and that seems to take forever. They tried blaming the technician, but I contacted them and they claim they not only sent the request but have email receipts showing where they sent the request. They are very quick to take your co-pay and very slow to return it, and never actually fix anything. Keep shopping, don't fall for the good reviews, those are probably fake. Just check their twitter to see all the unhappy customers.

American Home Shield response

Hi Mary, We appreciate you sharing your warranty experience. My name is Chapie’l and I will be emailing you my contact information. I would like to speak with you more about your concerns.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

As a realtor I have dealt with many different home warranty companies. Very few are worth the cost as they are very difficult to deal with. American Home Shield takes the cake. They sent out repairman to my property for a plumbing leak multiple times over the course of a year and a half. I finally had to hire a master plumber myself who determined that there was a hole in a pipe which they never caught. The master plumber caught it within five minutes of being in the house. In addition, they refuse to reimburse me for the cost of the master plumber.

They still have not reimbursed me for the secondary damage caused to our drywall. It has been going on almost 2 years dealing with them. They are refusing to answer emails now. Be prepared if you get on the phone with them with any sort of issue or even sometimes to schedule a service call you could end up being on the phone for 40 minutes to an hour plus. Would highly recommend not engaging this company at all.

American Home Shield response

Rich, We appreciate you sharing your warranty experience. My name is Chapie’l and I will be emailing you my contact information. I would like to speak with you more about your concerns.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

My microwave wasn’t working, so I did a claim online and American Home Shield had someone come to fix it. The guy did an excellent job.

American Home Shield response

I am happy to hear that we were able to resolve your claim. Thanks for sharing your AHS experience. Please let us know if you need assistance regarding your warranty.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

Our sink wasn't working and they fixed that, but then, it was leaking some water so they had to come back again and fix it. The technician said to wait for a couple of days just for the water that is leaking to evaporate. But overall, American Home Shield is very dependable.

American Home Shield response

Hi Manuel, We are happy to hear that we were able to resolve your claim. Thanks for sharing your AHS experience. Please let us know if you need assistance in regard to your warranty. Have a wonderful week.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

I had a problem with my kitchen sink that was clogged. The plumber was very nice. Then, I got a call from a representative at AHS and he said, “I understand that you had a grease clog in the sink. That's something that you can be responsible for avoiding. If that happens again, just wanna let you know that won't be paid for.” That was a freak thing that had never happened to me before. Even the plumber said, “I have four kids. Things like this could happen.” When she said that, she said it like it was a one-time thing. But the plumber was very good. She had the snake and she showed me. She even gave me suggestions on boiling hot water and running that down the sink monthly.

I had another clog in the bathroom and the plumbers for that were very good also. Every contractor that AHS has referred, I've had no complaints about.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

A lot of times, I can't understand a word the AHS reps are saying. I'm also not sure they can understand what I'm saying. We had a hot water heater issue. It was really a mess. We had to spend a month without any hot water because AHS didn't cover the upgrades. But the techs that came out for the stove were very prompt. But most of the time, it takes a little while. But they're okay.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

My only experience with American Home Shield has not been good. I called up and told them that my garbage disposal wasn't working. They said, “We can send someone out there in a couple of days.” My son met them out there. And the technician that came out was a plumber. He checked it out. And he said he tried his best, but that there was a nail stuck in it and it could not be repaired, and it had to be replaced. And he said, “I don't think it'll be covered.” Two days later, I got an email stating that it isn't covered, and that if I wanted to go forward, it would be $275. I thought about it. But I couldn't afford it.

A couple of days later, my son went back to the house, and he started messing around with it. He pulled the nail out within 15 minutes. The reason I'm upset is because I was told that it could not be repaired. I was told that it had to be replaced. And in the beginning, a nail was in it, and he couldn't do anything about it. My son is not a plumber. He's not handy at anything. He just took his time, wiggled it around, he got it out.

I called AHS and I told them that I would like them to give me back my $85. They charged me 85 because that's my deductible. And they proceeded to tell me, “Let's see. We'll look into it.” And the young man that I was talking to on the phone came back and said, “Oh, no. That's our policy.” I said, “Okay. At least you could give me credit for that $85 in the future if something else comes around. I still have another 10 months on this policy.” “I'm sorry, and we won't be able to do that.” So, I'm not happy. I gave them a second change and they didn't grab on to it.

American Home Shield response

Hi Teresa, We appreciate you sharing your warranty experience. My name is Chapie’l and I will be emailing you my contact information. I would like to speak with you more about your concerns.

American Home Shield Company Information