2. Homeowners

4.3/5 (15078 ratings)
Get a Quote
Call Now Toll Free

About American Home Shield

American Home Shield is a home warranty company with over 1.8 million customers. It provides home service contracts that cover major home systems and appliances in 49 states. The company has access to a network of over 16,000 licensed contractors and has paid out over $2 billion in claims over the past five years.

Pros

• 30-day workmanship guarantee
    • Flexible payment options
    • Customizable coverage plans

Cons

• Not available in Alaska
    • Some customer service complaints

Bottom Line

American Home Shield offers three warranty plans to cover systems, appliances or both. It's not the cheapest option, but it comes with some extra perks. Add-on coverage is available for electronics, pools and roof leak repairs.

American Home Shield Reviews

Over 50k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

The last time I had to use American Home Shield, the claims process was hard but this time, it was easy. Somebody called and said that someone was going to come. They told me that it was from some drain cleaning guy. He never called me. I called him and twice sent out the email to him or voicemail. Finally, when he didn't come when he was supposed to come, I called AHS. I said that this guy didn’t want to come in the morning and that they gave me a guy that was 40 miles away. I'm a nurse and I work from 11:30 in the morning. So, I needed a morning appointment and there was no way that this guy was gonna make it to my house. He kept trying to say he could come at 12:30 or 1:30.

The person at AHS that I talked to, to tell them the dilemma that I was having with the drain guy that never showed up, was great. I told her that they needed to get me a different guy and she said that they would call him one more time. I said okay but she couldn't get him to commit to a morning. So she said she was gonna give me another person and gave me Plumbers, Inc.

Daniel, the repair guy, was amazing. He was nice, smart and knew his work. He was meticulous and I appreciated him. I had two things in my bathroom and they're both 20 years old. The pull-up thing that opens and closes the drain rusted right through the connector underneath of the sink drain pipe. So the guy had to change that connector as well as the down stopper. He also changed the ring under the sink because it was corroded. He was so good that he tested it after it was done and was slow. The long pipe that connects the two underneath to the final drain was clogged so he pulled it out. I brought it into the kitchen and ran some hot water through it. I gave it back to him and he put it in. I had a good experience and I'm happy. My sink works great.

American Home Shield response

We are grateful for the time that you've taken to share you AHS experience. Please let us know if you need any assistance in regards to your warranty. Have a great week.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
    Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

The assigned handyman or plumber who came to my home did a good job in one of the services that I had but for a job that was remote, in a rented property, they did not do a good job. They refused to take care of the issue when it was blatantly clear with all pictures and reasoning. They went by the first take that the plumber gave and they refused to cover that, apparently because there was more cost to it. I ended up doing it on my own because it was an emergency. When it's a small thing, such as a quick fix, American Home Shield is very effective. But when it's costly and it falls within their guidelines, they give me a very hard time. Maybe AHS could allow a second opinion. Video capture would be something good. So far, they are using pictures and those could be interpreted in multiple ways. AHS is sweet when it comes to customer service but they don’t follow through when the work comes, especially in this case that I had.

Suhail,

Thanks for sharing your warranty experience. I apologize for the inconvenience we've caused you. My name is Robert and I would like to speak to you more about your claim.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

My dishwasher disposal wouldn't turn on at all. Even when I flicked the switch, it wouldn't hum. The technician who came fixed the problem and got us back up and running as quickly as possible.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

Our dishwasher was not working. I would press the start button and it will make this “Dududitdududu,” and nothing would happen. I tried to turn it off using the circuit breaker but nothing would happen. The tech came to do some parts but it didn't work. He had to come out three times. The third time he came, he said he had to change the motherboard. Whatever he did for that third time, he fixed it. It worked. He was great, fast and he came back when he said he was gonna come back. I would recommend American Home Shield. They work really well.

American Home Shield response

Thanks for sharing your warranty experience. Please let us know if you need if you need assistance. Have an amazing week.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

The technician who came for the dryer that had no heat was very professional. It's nice that I can call AHS and have it done, but I'm trying to weigh out the cost right now versus the benefits.

American Home Shield response

We are happy to know that AHS is beneficial to you. Thanks for sharing your warranty experience. Have great week.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

A home warranty is a great service, and American Home Shield's claim process is very straightforward. I have never had a problem. I either call or do it online then a technician calls me within 24 hours and we set up a time for him to come and look at whatever the issue is and go from there. Recently, I had a water heater that was leaking. The repair company came in and said that it needed to be replaced. They got a new one in, replaced the old one and did a very good job.

American Home Shield response

We appreciate you taking time to share your warranty experience. We look forward to handling your AHS needs. Have an amazing week.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

I called American Home Shield's number for a dripping pipe, and they had a guy come out here and fix it. He did what he was supposed to and everything is fine. I just have to have my ceiling fixed now.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

We had a leak in our sink and the the shut-off valves were also broken. I used American Home Shield's website to submit a claim and it's a good website for user-friendliness. It notified me that Altstadt Plumbing was going to be the contractor then they sent me an email notifying me that Altstadt Plumbing had been assigned to my claim. When the tech came out, he replaced the shut-off valves and repaired the leak in our faucet in our kitchen. He was really good and everything still works until now. It's convenient not to have our sink leaking all the time and I recommend American Home Shield because they did everything right. Plus, the service didn't take any time really and everybody was polite and helpful.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

My recent claim for the icemaker with AHS was a good experience. The service tech happened to have the part that we needed in his truck and it was repaired very quickly.

Karen,

We really appreciate you taking time to share your warranty experience. We look forward to handling your future AHS needs. Have an amazing week.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

A faucet in the kitchen was old and worn out. It was starting to spin on top of the top. It wouldn’t tighten and was leaking. Kamko Plumbing came out and apologized for the long wait which was two and a half weeks. They took a look at the issue and determined from the year of the faucet that they didn't make those anymore. They suggested that I'd be better off getting a new faucet for it or they’d probably be back out here to fix it again. They took the initiative to find it. I told them how we wanted it and they came up with a real solid faucet. We enjoy it so I feel happy with them.

There was another plumbing company who came out here and I was so upset that I’d spent the money but they didn't do anything. They tightened up the handle on the old faucet, and within that evening, it was having an issue again. We let it go for a long time because I didn't want to call back. That was one of the reasons why I didn't reach out real fast after I called. Three or four weeks went by and I kept thinking if that was the same phony place that was going to come back out here, I was going to refuse it. But it was Kamko Plumbing and when I went online, they had good reviews. I had them come out and they lived up to it. They're real helpful.

I usually pay up the policy with American Home Shield a whole year at a time. I went online to renew my policy and there was something that American Home Shield had on their site that made it sound like if I wanted to save money, then take and do it monthly. I did it and everything's auto pay but for three or four months, I kept getting notices that I was behind. I kept telling him, “It's auto pay. How can I be behind? You guys are taking the money out.” No one seemed to know what was going on. They said not to worry about it and disregard the notice. I went online, put my credit card back in there, paid one cent on it and all that went away. It was a little frustrating. I should have paid for the whole thing all at one time like I normally do.

Lynne,

Thanks for sharing your AHS experience. Please let us know if you need assistance in regards to your warranty.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

The claim process at AHS is simple. You just pay it. That's an upfront deductible of 70 and then everything else you don't pay. Recently, the bathroom fans did not work and some outlets had no power. The techs came and fixed them pretty quickly. I'm happy.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

I had a recent claim for my dryer. The tech came out, assessed the issue, ordered the parts, came back and repaired everything that needed to be repaired. I haven't had any issues thus far. The claim process of AHS was good. I've had several warranty agencies and AHS has been pretty good, which is why I came back to them.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

I found a leak on the inside of my washing machine and it took me a while to notice it. But it was just a valve and I got lucky. The technician had to order the part and nobody had it locally so that took eight days total. Everything went well. So far, every call that I've ever made to American Home Shield has been responded to and taken care of.

Debra,
    Your feedback regarding your recent experiences with us is greatly appreciated. We look forward to servicing you in the future as needed.

Take Care.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

MJS Mechanical came out and diagnosed that the thermal expansion valve on the air conditioning unit has failed. We haven't had air conditioning for three weeks, and we just got to be able to deal with that unless we want to pay out of pocket to get it fixed. At this point, we just sit back and wait.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

So far, American Home Shield has been great. My referrals have always been good. When my furnace was not working, they referred me to Cool & Cozy but that company did not respond to me. After a few days, I called American Home Shield back and told them to change Cool & Cozy because they have not responded to my calls. They said they tried to reach me, but they hadn't. I didn't have a record.

American Home Shield gave me Johnson HVAC and Johnson HVAC called me right away. I had to wait a few days for them to come out but they came out and fixed the fuse. What I really like about them is there's a woman there that always answers the phone. I've had them come out before and she always answers. If she's busy, she tells me she'll call me back and calls me back. I got the same technician that came out, too, that repaired the electrical panel last winter. Orval is his first name and it didn't even take him very long. He took the panel off, went back out to the van, came back in and said, “I thought it was a fuse and it was a fuse.” It was done and I was thrilled.

Judith,

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

When we bought the house, the sump pump was sealed because of some remediation for toxic wastes in the land. We never physically got a chance to check it, but we knew it was covered under the warranty. After one of the hurricanes happened, we figured it wasn't working. The tech came and right away just realized it needs to be replaced. He was in and out within an hour. It was great. The website of AHS makes the claim process really easy. I made two claims, so far. The other one I called up and customer service was really easy. Everything’s been amazing with AHS.

Dylon,

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

American Home Shield has been great. You can just call them and ask for service, and it's easy. I am kind of blown away about how quickly people reply to you for service. Turner Electrical came out twice and I liked the technician a lot. I had a fan and some outlets redone. But one of the light’s not working in my house and he said it wasn't part of their warranty so that was the only bummer about that.

Jennifer,

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

American Home Shield has very poor service. I got a notice from them, a general message saying that it was time to check the the air conditioner. I'm used to checking the air conditioner and the heater during the different seasons. So, I said, "Okay, time for a check-up." I called AHS to try to get one, and they took the $75 out first then they sent someone that, when they got there, said, "We don't service apartments that are in buildings that are over five storeys." The apartment is on the 15th floor. I called the home warranty company back, let them know that and I asked them to send someone else. We kept going around about that then someone came out after a few weeks, but that person did practically nothing. I said, "Okay, fine. I'm just not gonna worry about it."

The next time, a water tank was not heating water. I called and American Home Shield was sending me the same company. I said, "These people already said that they don't service buildings that are over five storeys." That was something that I had to keep going back and forth with them about. I got to explain to the young lady, the young man and the other person that my tenants have been living there with no hot water for two weeks and they're not happy. They pay rent, and I had to do something. I asked the reps, "Can I get my own person?" They said, "Oh, yeah, of course." I got someone to do it and paid the 500 or more dollars then I called them and said, "Okay. How do I get reimbursed in this?"

The young man told me to send the information to claims, which I did. But then, they came back and said I didn't follow proper procedures. I ended up paying for that out of my pocket. I was not happy because I kept calling and asking for a manager, but they never gave me one. They kept saying that they had to handle it themselves and it turned into something crazy. I was going to cancel the home warranty, but my Realtor talked me into keeping it.

I've only had this apartment for a year, and when I got it inspected, there was nothing wrong with it. These things, over time, have gotten to the point where they need attention though. The next time I called AHS was to get a water tank replaced because it started leaking. I started with them in August. I didn't get someone out there to take care of that until the end of October and I paid this person out of my pocket almost $3,000. I went back and forth with the home warranty company and my Realtor got on the phone with them too. I didn't curse anybody out and I tried to talk to these people. I got so many of them that I could not understand and that didn't understand me, and the reps kept saying the same thing over and over again and gave me no solution.

My Realtor let me know that I could go to retention, so I asked for that, and the people there were the ones who said I could find my own person. The people American Home Shield sent out looked at the water tank and sent me an estimate. I sent the estimate to the home warranty company, and they said that they would not do modifications. I said, "I didn't ask for a modification." All these people were doing was replacing the water tank, the pan up under it, and the tubing, but the home warranty company considers that modifications for whatever reason. I went around and around with them with that for months then the retention folks said, "Well, you could do a cashout." I went to the cashout people and they said, "Okay. So, someone get in touch with you and it's gonna take 24 to 48 hours."

Every time I call, I get the same 24 to 48 hours. Finally, I got someone after a month. I needed to know how much AHS was going to cash out for so I could have an idea of what I had to pay out of my pocket. I got to the point where I said, "Okay, fine. Just cash out for the water heater and I'll pay for the rest. Let's just get it done." But then, that never happened. They kept saying that the job was done, and I don't know where they were getting that from. The young lady and young man, each time, will call the company and find out that the job is not complete and that we still needed to do something about it.

I got the reps to let me know what they were gonna reimburse me and to finish it, but then they said it was gonna take four to six weeks to get the check. The tank was leaking and it was getting worse. What I don't want is for the whole thing to burst, and then it goes through all these other apartments. I had to go ahead and replace the tank and I'm counting on American Home Shield to send the check like they promised. I've had to borrow some money to make sure that I can continue to cover things.

The other thing was the heater. "Okay, time to get your heater checked up," and I said, "Okay." The people came out, checked it and told me that I needed Freon because there was a leak and that they would send that back to Home Shield. Home Shield kept saying that they didn't get a report from these people, while these people kept saying they sent something. I just canceled the whole thing. I already knew it was gonna be a chore. I had no doubt about it because that's how it's been every time I called. American Home Shield has been worthless, and I hope that I don't have to call them again.

Loretta,

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

It's fast, easy and convenient to have somebody else take care of the work. All I do is tell American Home Shield my problems. My fridge was making a lot of ice and it wasn’t properly cooling. The bottom was over freezing and the top started to freeze. I made a claim online then they emailed me. I also got a text message, letting me know who was assigned to the claim. The repair company came out, found the problem and replaced the hinges on the side of the unit. They stated that the reason why my fridge was freezing was because the bottom door was not properly closing anymore and the top. It needs to be closed completely in order for it not to freeze like that. All in all, the experience was good, very helpful, and they were able to repair everything in a timely manner. They were very communicative with us too.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

Something wrong with our dishwasher and our clothing dryer wouldn't turn on. The motherboard was burned out. We called it in, and I paid the fee over the phone. Gimino's Appliance came and the repair took a little while because there were some parts that needed to be ordered. But within a few weeks, they came back out and fixed the appliances. Everything works fine now.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

I'm using American Home Shield for the first time and in terms of customer service, I am pleased with the service that I've received thus far. The last time the tech came out, my appointment was canceled the day of and had to be rescheduled for a later time, which caused further delay. It was extremely inconvenient because I made arrangements to work from home that day so that I would be available for them to arrive. So, to receive a call on that day was a huge imposition because that meant I needed to take additional time off in order to be available for them to come. But they accommodated me by rescheduling late into the day. So at least, I only had to leave work an hour early versus an entire day.

Over the weekend, I started having additional problems. The unit worked fine for about a week but for the past few days, we have been without any heat at all. AHS is not open on the weekends so I was only able to make contact with them this morning. Most people are probably off on the weekends and that would be a convenient time to have service.

AHS contracts work out to other companies and I may have some hesitation about some of the companies. Perhaps it would be helpful if there was a list or whatnot that consumers could select from. Because perhaps by word of mouth, at least we could review the company that will be coming out to our home to do the work. I am hopeful as a consumer that AHS vet the company that they would send out to any of their customers' homes. The original issue quasi-resolved does give me pause and certainly hope we're not dealing with a local company that either half-did the first job or may have messed up something in doing the initial job that will cost us more money.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

My water heater quit working and it had to be replaced. Nathan, the gentleman who came and did everything, was awesome. He didn't just come in, do and go. He explained what was wrong and why it was wrong. He answered any questions I had without attitude. American Home Shield was good. The only thing was I had already waited a week and then, I had to wait another five days. You're waiting for someone to call you back on it or send you an email, and then you don't know anything that's going on. So, I had to call them. It could just be a miscommunication and I would still recommend AHS to somebody.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

AHS's customer service reps are not knowledgeable. My dishwasher was completely broken but the contractor couldn't repair it. They gave a link to choose whether I want a reimbursement or wait for this thing. The link itself is not a secured link. I don't have to enter any user ID, password. If I click on the link, anybody can go and select whatever they want. It looks like somebody made an auto-selection or something and it went directly to a Lowe's gift card, which is like $600. I called them up and I said I never submitted anything like that. They cancelled it.

The replacement was not in stock and if I needed to check if the dishwasher is in stock, I had to call them every three days. They would not call me and would not give me an alternate way to get inside their website. And every time I call, it is a 30-minute wait time. I waited for two months but because of COVID, I thought I’ll give them time. Then, two months became three months and they kept on saying that I got to wait until it is in stock. But the same dishwasher, which they were about to replace, was there in stock at Home Depot. AHS would not reimburse the amount if I buy it from Home Depot. They said that they would only reimburse what they think if they acquired it. It was around half of what the actual dishwasher was. A number of calls upon calls and suddenly we got a random, good customer service member. He said that he will approve it and that went through.

Other than that, the technicians that came out recently were good. Although, when I first called them, my fridge was leaking and there was something behind they had to clean up that the initial service person did not clean up. He just removed the ice. My fridge started leaking again in three months and the second service person who came out cleaned up the ice. I asked what the guarantee was that it will not happen again and then he went behind to check on some things. There was a lot of dust accumulation behind and he cleaned up and that problem did not occur. It is a hit and miss with the techs.

Arun,

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

I called Johnson HVAC before the summertime. They were very nice to deal with and the tech seemed very knowledgeable. But, it took five weeks to get something fixed. They said, “We’ll order it and get the part in two days.” But it took five weeks to get the part. At the eleventh hour, they were able to get it in a couple of days. It wasn’t a good experience.

Then when we called for the seasonal tune-up, we were assigned to him again, and we had already paid the money. I called back and said I didn't want to get him again. The AHS rep said, “You're gonna have to pay again, but we'll reassign it.” I said, “No. Give me the refund." When I got the refund, I called back and told them that I want to get assigned to somebody else. They did that and assured us that that wouldn't happen. I took the lady's name, and lo and behold, we got assigned to the same company again. At that point, I was like, all right, the heck with it.

The tech was very nice. But it was a while for him to come. It was November 5th before he could get here, which was fine. But we already had the heat on a couple of times by then. But he came and did everything that he needed to do. He went above and beyond because I asked him some other questions. He was very knowledgeable and helpful. It was just the first time around, it was disappointing because it took so long. It was never anybody's fault, it was just, nobody ever apologized. Nobody ever said, “This shouldn't have happened.” It was like that's the way they do business. So I wasn't happy with them. But they were fine at this last one. We also had the stove repaired and that went off without a hitch. The part was mailed to us, the guy came back out, he put it in and it wasn't a deal.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

Both of the claim processes that I had with AHS were amazing. The people that came out were very helpful and polite. I had held off on the claim process to make sure I had the money. But when I made the claim process, they were out the same week. I had done a pre-winter heat check. My motor was out on my heater and they had to replace the motor. Everything's working great. The tech gave me a new thermostat. The heat is working awesome. So far, my experience with AHS has been good. My parents also had them for years. I know even from when I'm used to living with my parents, they handle things pretty well compared to some other home warranties that I'm familiar with that other people had. I'm happy with AHS.

Leshaun,

Taking care of our members is the main goal here at AHS. I am glad that you were happy with the work done.

We look forward to servicing you in the future as needed. Enjoy your day.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

There was a leak in our bathroom and the bottom of the sink was wet. I called American Home Shield and they took the claim and I had a good experience with them. Right away, they told me over the phone who was coming to take care of it then I got a text message that told me the info as well. The plumber came up front, told me he found the problem and what he needed to do to fix it, said, "This shouldn't take long," and he fixed it. All in all, the experience was very professional, to the point and accurate.

Ed,

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

The igniter element in my furnace cracked on a cold day and it got fixed the next morning. The technician was good.

Ronald,

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

The garbage disposal wasn't working. I submitted a claim online like I always do, then I received an email on who the contractors were and when they were coming. The plumbers who came out replaced the garbage disposal and they were good. I would recommend AHS.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Nov. 15, 2021

Updated on 12/01/2021: I called to complain about a service call early November. I later discovered that the service company AHS sent out was not registered to the BBB and had an overall star rating of 1 star out of five. Finally a man named Robert emailed me and called on Nov 24. He was polite and appeared to be sympathetic and told me that he would follow up soon and that he send me the service report that I requested and paid for. This is the second time I requested this report and was told they would email this immediately. A lot of talk but no action. Here I sit Dec 1 with no service report sent and still no response other than explaining I owe $125 for the service e run. Of course I do not want to pay this until they send me the report. Still waiting but no response. Stay away from this company. They use to be very good but know they have taken a turn for the worse.

Original Review: I have contracted with AHS to cover my swimming pool as an add on to my home warranty. They have sent two contractors to diagnose my pool heater. I just discovered each one had a terrible review rating. They also falsely claimed that my pool water was acidic and this caused the leak, so AHS would not have to pay for the necessary repairs. I received a report from my pool management company who test my water weekly. It shows that the water has never been on the acidic side for the months they have maintained my pool. These false reports allow AHS to deceptively deny and not comply with the contract to fix this covered issue. I am very disgusted with how they have handled this situation and I would not recommend them to anyone.

I asked AHS to provide me the service reports that I paid for and they have now told me they cannot provide these. Zero transparency to cover their false reports! They have claimed that someone will call me back to discuss this matter, but this has not happened either. Stay away from this company! You are wasting your money.

Robert,

Original review: Nov. 15, 2021

A contractor came for a pre-maintenance checkup getting ready for the winter months, and they said everything was fine. But this time around, when I had to make an appointment to do the winter checkup, I couldn't make the appointment on the website like it said. I had to call AHS and found out I had to call the contractor directly. When I made the other appointments in the past, it was just a matter of doing it on the website very easily.

Diane,
    Our main objective is to provide exceptional service and a quick resolution to all of your home warranty needs. Your feedback regarding your recent experiences with us is greatly appreciated.

We look forward to servicing you in the future as needed. Take Care.

American Home Shield Company Information