4.3/5 (12929 ratings)
Author picture
Written by
Edited by

About American Home Shield

American Home Shield is a home warranty company with over 1.8 million customers. It provides home service contracts that cover major home systems and appliances and offers additional protection for electronics and select maintenance services. The company has access to a network of over 17,000 licensed contractors and has paid out over $2 billion in claims over the past five years.

Pros

• 30-day workmanship guarantee
    • Flexible payment options
    • Does not require maintenance records

Cons

• Not available in Alaska
    • Some customer service complaints

Bottom Line

American Home Shield offers three warranty plans to cover systems and appliances, regardless of age. AHS provides additional coverage for electronics, pools or spas, and roof leak repairs.

American Home Shield Reviews

Over 50k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?

Original review: Jan. 19, 2023

Signing up with American Home Shield went real easy. The person explained how it worked and what were covered. I haven't had to file a work order but it was easy to understand. That's what I liked about it.

American Home Shield response

We appreciate you taking time to share your warranty experience. We look forward to handling your AHS needs. Have an amazing week.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2023

Two different technicians came out for the microwave. The one technician that came out said what the problem was. Then I was unaware that they were gonna send the parts to the house. The parts came to the house and then I called the company back and they sent someone out to do the repair. They were very professional.

American Home Shield response

Thanks for sharing your warranty experience. Please let us know if you need if you need assistance. Have an amazing week.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2023

We've had several claims with American Home Shield. They're limited on what they will cover, so you have to read the fine print but I have that peace of mind in case something breaks. It gets expensive so quickly when things start breaking down. However, there have been some hiccups with some of the workers and the delivery people. The first group that came out couldn't install the microwave. They told me all this stuff, but it was wrong. They had to leave and had to get another person. He's done most of the work.

Sometimes when you call in, the people are very difficult to understand. They're not in the United States. The language barrier is very frustrating. I have looked to cancel with American Home Shield to go with somebody else. But they do a survey at the end of the call. You can a 1 to 5 about how easy it was to communicate and talk to them. They at least do that so that's good. I'm still happy with American Home Shield ‘cause we've had things replaced and we didn't have to pay the full price. Sometimes, if I call them and I have two issues, they only charge me $125 to come out.

Juli,
    Your feedback regarding your recent experiences with us is greatly appreciated. Our main objective is to provide exceptional service and a quick resolution to all of your home warranty needs.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
    Original review: Jan. 17, 2023

I was unfamiliar with heat pumps in general and I didn't know that they will defrost. On a cold day, it looked like it was smoking. I thought it was on fire. I didn't know why it was smoking. I called American Home Shield 'cause I thought I needed it serviced. It was super cold and I thought it was an emergency. They told me they'd call me back. It was not a good process. They weren't going to be able to find anybody available for a week. I wanted to choose the company because I've had experience with another company through my mom's heat pump that I did not like. Unfortunately, with American Home Shield, you can't choose your company. The cost of getting the company I wanted was less than what I was gonna have to pay for the service call.

I googled smoke from heat pump and found that this was a very normal process. It was probably going through the defrost cycle and to let it run its course and keep an eye on it. Sure enough, I turned it back on and it was fine. I called a local company. While they weren't going to come out and service it, they could have if I asked them to. They were knowledgeable enough. When I called American Home Shield, there was no knowledge of the system and how it works. I will plan on canceling if I don't need it within the first year.

Grace,

Thanks for sharing your warranty experience. I apologize for the inconvenience we've caused you. My name is Robert and I would like to speak to you more about your claim.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2023

I had an issue with my heating unit so I called it in. Customer service was really good. The guy that came out found it was the thermostat and replaced that. I had another issue with my gas stove as the igniter was not working. I was going to try to repair it myself so I did some research on YouTube and found that it was probably the wiring of the igniter. I ordered the igniter from an aftermarket company, they sent that, and I started to repair the stove. But I found that I couldn't get the top off. I had some other difficulties and I didn't wanna mess it up, so I called the American Home Shield. They sent out a representative and he fixed it really fast. The gentleman who was repairing it said, "You shouldn't have bought this part, because I would have provided it." As a result, I didn't get reimbursed. He used my part instead of me using theirs. I learned from that. On the whole, they did a good job.

Stan,

Original review: Jan. 16, 2023

American Home Shield is new for us. I was recommended by a friend of mine who lives in Georgia and I live in Texas. So, everything is fine. I don't own this house but I don't feel comfortable calling my landlord every time something breaks. So, I figured I'd just do it by myself. This is a good way of taking the lead and getting it fixed by myself. And the fees aren't bad. It's cool. I did the downstairs toilet and I had to do the upstairs toilet as well as my dryer and probably one other thing. I've had to call about four times. The techs are always nice and respectful. AHS is fast and easy. And instead of me having to call different departments as far as appliances, it's done underneath the same window and then American Home Shield sends their notices out. So, it's super convenient.

Arnita,
    Your feedback regarding your recent experiences with us is greatly appreciated. We look forward to servicing you in the future as needed.

Take Care.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2023

I called American Home Shield because there was a part that was broken in the microwave. But then when the repairman came out, he condemned it. So, I had to get a new one. The technician was fantastic and very professional. American Home Shield’s problem resolution and the quality of the service people that are sent out have been big benefits of having them. In the recent times that we have been with AHS in the past two years, the customer service has been fine. But in the past, they were sometimes hard to get ahold of and hard to understand. They were all very nice but they could be more helpful.

American Home Shield response

That's exactly what we like to hear. We are happy to know that AHS is beneficial to you. Thanks for sharing your warranty experience. Have great week.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2023

My furnace wasn't working right and the experience with the techs was easy, quick and efficient. They resolved the problem. American Home Shield makes me worry-free.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2023

I just bought this house and the dishwasher came with it and I've never used it. I just did it old school and washed with hand. But my son had pressed the cleaning button and the dishwasher went. From there on, it started leaking and this horrible smell started coming from it. American Home Shield sent somebody two times. The first time they sent somebody, I didn't like those people that much. They just sent the company that they sent. I had not opened the dishwasher for at least three weeks. So, it was nasty and I understood it. But the contractor just said they couldn’t see and left. They said they would be back and then I didn't see anybody else until the next week.

The guy who came was great and that was good. I love that guy. He told me what it was. Apparently, the dishwasher is connected to the garbage disposal and at this time it is not working also. It is another problem but they said that if I continue to have the problem, it's gonna be the same ticket, which I was fine with. The gentleman was absolutely delightful and very educational. He showed me a lot that I didn't know. He told me that I should contact the plumber for the dishwasher or I should contact American Home Shield again with regards to the garbage disposal.

Submitting the claim was not difficult at all and the AHS rep attended to me right away. So, I wasn't upset with that. A good friend of mine had a good experience with AHS and told me that I should look into them. And I did and they delivered. My mom is gonna look into it and she's excited to go into it. AHS is helpful, especially for people that are just starting and just don't know about home ownership. This has been such an experience for me because anything that could have gone wrong has. So, to have that extra protection, it's a good thing, for sure.

American Home Shield response

We really appreciate you taking time to share your warranty experience. We look forward to handling your future AHS needs. Have an amazing week.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2023

Epic fail!! AHS has no capability for emergency services!! Overseas agents!! No call backs!! No escalation!! No weekend services!! So, if your furnace goes out in freezing temperatures on a weekend,.. you’re screwed. Overseas agents are completely useless. Minimum 4 hours waiting for them to even acknowledge an emergency request. TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE‼️ They Lied to me saying they do accept and process emergency requests at the inception of my contract & when processing an emergency request. UNBELIEVABLE‼️

Ken,

Original review: Jan. 16, 2023

Just after I bought my house, the hose line in the water dispenser in my refrigerator broke and I had to call up American Home Shield. They had a technician out to me later that day and all I had to do was pay the $100 co-pay. My most recent service request was for my fall HVAC inspection. The tech they sent out was great.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2023

American Air Conditioning and Heating came out when our furnace went out and it was during the winter. The technicians got out the next day after I put in the service request through American Home Shield. They had to replace a part and they said that it was an easy fix. But they had to get an authorization from AHS to do the work and that was where the hang up took place. It took 10 days for AHS to give the authorization and for the techs to come back and do the replacement. There were a couple of times where I called American Air asking about the status and every time I was reaching out, AHS hadn’t authorized it. That's been a pattern in different occasions I've dealt with AHS. Other than that, having a home warranty is peace of mind and it's a safety net for when an appliance goes out.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2023

It was super easy to submit a request through American Home Shield. I scheduled the service online, then the company called to confirm the date they were coming out, and it worked. I had them rekey my lock, and the guy did a great job.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2023

I had a claim for my refrigerator and my stove. The stove wasn't heating up and one of the eyes on top wasn't working. The repair man, Leo, fixed that, as well as the refrigerator that was leaking and a couple of lights that were out. He was excellent, and everything's still working good. I've had American Home Shield for several years and the last two vendors that came were the best that I've ever had all the time I've had them. One thing I don't like is the price is increasing every year. This last year 2022, I don't know if I received a notice that it was going up, but when I got my automatic draft, it was about $10 more. I was really disappointed in that. Also, a couple of times when I called in, I've had some people that I could understand a little, but sometimes, the language barrier is very difficult and I don't think the rep did what I asked.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2023

American Home Shield was the cheapest option that I found, and when I have a claim, I just go to AmericanHomeShield.com and put in a claim. It usually takes about two days for them to give me a confirmation. I recently had two guys come out for my faucet, and it was great service. They told me step-by-step what the issue was. They had to leave to get a new faucet, then they came back and got done within an hour.

American Home Shield response

We are grateful for the time that you've taken to share you AHS experience. Please let us know if you need any assistance in regards to your warranty. Have a great week.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2023

The customer service representatives have always been very helpful. I had a claim for a stoppage in the bathroom, and due to the holidays, it took three days for someone to come out. The service people came, did the job they needed to do, and everything is flowing great. The great part of having a home warranty policy with American Home Shield is someone comes out and resolves the issue, like with the plumbing. For instance though, if I had a busted pipe because it has gotten cold, a warranty doesn't cover that, which is a disadvantage.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2023

I don't like anything about American Home Shield's service. Everything is a very drawn out process, and I'm assuming that their vendors are slow because they don't pay them well. They also keep using the same ones, even though they don't have great service and turnaround time. They just don't care. My heater went out on December 23rd and I still have not had the repair completed. It's the dead of winter, and the president just declared it a state of emergency, and I'm sitting here with no heat. I had American Home Shield before with the last house that I owned, and it was the same way to the point where it was less of a headache for me to pay for stuff out of pocket. We just bought this house, and the purpose of buying the home warranty is to not have to be in this position where I'm paying for stuff out of pocket.

Di-Keisha,

Original review: Jan. 16, 2023

We've had American Home Shield off and on for years. The scheduling tends to be difficult to the point where we try not to use it if we can. The hold time if you call is too long. The website is much faster, but it is not the easiest to use to schedule a service person. The secretaries call back quickly, which is a good thing, but in general, we find the American Home Shield people do as little as they can and leave as quickly as they can. We had a clogged drain, and when the guy came, he did a very minimal job. All he did was clear the clog. He didn't give us a long-term solution, and that drain keeps getting clogged. On another claim, the air conditioning guy did a good job installing the air conditioner, but we had to fight with him to put stuff on the floor and wear the boots for their dirty shoes. They don't all the time do this.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2023

I had a service call for my dryer, and the technician for TN Appliance was great. The dryer was working the same day. When our heat went out, that was several weeks. The original request was for Greenway, and they never showed up. American Home Shield called another company, and they were great. The tech was able to get it up and running. Still, people should make sure they do their research.

American Home Shield response

We appreciate you sharing your home warranty experience. I apologize for the inconvenience we've caused you. My name is Stacy and I will email you shortly as I would like to speak to you more about your concerns.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2023

American Home Shield is a really good investment. On New Year’s Eve, we noticed our heat was working really inefficiently. We had an HVAC guy come and in the process of servicing the boiler, he said that we were losing water pressure somewhere and that we likely had a leak in our pipe. We looked around the house and noticed some of the foundation was wet on the outside and it had been raining. We called American Home Shield and asked them to get a plumber out. That was a holiday weekend, and the plumber came that Monday, January 2. It ended up being a much bigger problem that we had to submit to home insurance, so we're in the middle of doing that, and the plumber has been fantastic in helping us with that.

American Home Shield response

Thank you for sharing your AHS experience. We are available 24 hours daily to service your home warranty needs. Have an amazing week.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2023

Our air conditioning call went fine. The tech dealt with my husband, and he provided him very clear information, so we had no problem. On the other hand, customer service with American Home Shield has been about 50-50. We had an initial issue at the beginning and it was not resolved, but we had already paid for the year. Also, if an emergency situation arises, I can reach out to them. Sometimes it's difficult to get technicians in, but recently, they've been able to get technicians in within 24 hours.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2023

Pop-A-Lock came out within a couple of days. It was quick. The service person did a rekey, and he was real helpful. I'm pleased so far.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2023

The repairman was pleasant. The faucet had to be fixed. He replaced a part and did it in one day.

Cathy,

Original review: Jan. 15, 2023

I had a claim for the washing machine and the contractor came on the same day I filed a claim. The tech tried to disassemble it to see what the issue was but it got freeze in the transmission so he couldn't take it apart. I had to buy a new one and the only thing is they said they were going to deliver it this last Wednesday but they called and told me that they are going to deliver it next Wednesday.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2023

American Home Shield is worth having. I'm not paying completely out of pocket. But I have had to pay more than I was expecting because of different loopholes within the contract. One time was when my bathroom leaked into the living room. They needed to open up the wall and refit the parts, which was an additional fee. Also, the tech had to put in some new piping so that would fit the current part and the guys had to close up the hole in the ceiling downstairs where the water had leaked to, which were additional fees as well.

Also, there has been a delay in trying to schedule with their contractors. If I call on a Wednesday, I may not get anyone here until Monday or Tuesday. But the assistants when I call customer service have been helpful in trying to resolve the issue. If I call and I say I haven't gotten a response, they'll call them themselves. Unfortunately, what I've noticed is they're calling the same number I was given, not an internal line, so they don't necessarily have better access to the contractors.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2023

I recently had a relock so I can get a fresh set of keys. The claim submission process was simple and easy to do. Then, I got a call within a couple of hours to set it all up. Arco Lock and Security gave me a timeframe between 1:00 and 5:00 and the tech came at around 3:00. The tech was very professional. I had a problem with one of the locks not latching correct and he fixed it for me, which was very nice of him.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2023

AHS does what they're supposed to do and having them prevents unexpected bills. They've replaced the furnace and the dishwasher and they worked on the washing machine once. Recently, I had a claim when there was a problem with the dishwasher and the contractor came out and fixed it.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2023

So far, I'm real happy with having the warranty because it has helped cover the issues that I've had. Right off the bat, they've helped out. Most recently, the motor was going out in my heater and it took two weeks for AHS to find a contractor. But the contractor, Urban Mechanical, came out a day after they were contacted by AHS and they were very professional and friendly. They seemed knowledgeable of what they were doing. But they ended up taking two returns. They installed the new part but it was broken and they had to remove the part, order it again, and then come back the next week.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2023

American Home Shield has helped me get stuff fixed around the house and the techs are quite professional. This is my first time ever having a warranty provider and I'm satisfied.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2023

We called on 12/18 for our heater but the tech from Climate Masters who came out never told AHS what was going on, what the problem was, and what he was doing. It was 19 below and we were out of heat for two weeks. We have three children in the house and a dog. AHS told us he had 24 hours, then they gave him 48 hours, and then it turned into a few weeks. I canceled that service. I told AHS I never want that contractor to come back because they didn't do anything. Fick's Mechanical came out and they were the best. Their tech came out and resolved the problem. He had to order a part and came back the next day.

AHS just sent me an invoice telling me that I have to pay another $100. They took the fee out of my account and they were supposed to refund my money from the last person because the first person told me they couldn't refund me because a tech came out. But they never serviced me. Also, everybody I talked to don't speak English. I'm always talking to a foreigner and they are different time frames and they don't know about our weather. They tell me it takes 48 hours for a manager to call me. I do not like this service anymore.

Anita,

Are you still in need of assistance?

American Home Shield Company Information