Get a Quote

4.3/5 (13505 ratings)
Get a Quote

About American Home Shield

American Home Shield is a home warranty company with over 1.8 million customers. It provides home service contracts that cover major home systems and appliances in 49 states. The company has access to a network of over 16,000 licensed contractors and has paid out over $2 billion in claims over the past five years.

Pros

• 30-day workmanship guarantee
    • Flexible payment options
    • Customizable coverage plans

Cons

• Not available in Alaska
    • Some customer service complaints

Bottom Line

American Home Shield offers three warranty plans to cover systems, appliances or both. It's not the cheapest option, but it comes with some extra perks. Add-on coverage is available for electronics, pools and roof leak repairs.

American Home Shield Reviews

Over 50k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

High Priority Plumbing came out within 24 hours, did the job and everything was great. I did my claim through a service contract I have with American Home Shield. They called me back in an hour and the plumber was here within a few more hours. The guy was great. He identified the problem, isolated it, solved it, kept everything clean and left.

Overall, the experience with AHS is a little bit more complicated. They're okay with the small stuff like plumbing. When it's bigger stuff, major appliances or major repairs, they’re a little bit more challenging to work with. I've been with them for at least a decade. My entire previous house was under AHS and I considered canceling them at one point. I just bought this house, so I'm probably gonna run it for a little while. But when something big breaks, they're really hard to get ahold of. If you've got a place with a lot of little things that you know are going to fail, it's a great idea. If you're worried about replacing or repairing major appliances, they will ultimately tell you that you need to replace something but they may not cover it to the value of which you're going to need it replaced.

Tyrone,

Thanks for sharing your AHS experience. Please let us know if you need assistance in regards to your warranty.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

My dishwasher wasn't getting any water. It wasn't washing. The tech had to order a part. There was some kind of pump that needed to be replaced. He was personable, and showed excellent service. I’ve recommended American Home Shield to somebody already. It's very helpful. It's economical. It's a great idea to have a home warranty.

Stephanie,

Your feedback regarding your recent experiences with us is greatly appreciated. We look forward to servicing you in the future as needed.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

The pump wasn't circulating the water. I put in the claim. American Home Shield had the provider. ABNation came out. It was the very next day. They were able to get the pump going again, with my existing equipment and said if there were any future issues with it, to just call back and they would get contacted again and be taken care of, reevaluated and taken care of. Lo and behold, it happened again a week or so later. I called back into AHS and they contacted ABNation, who was able to come very quickly. They wanted to come the next day, but I wasn't going to be around. So I was okay that they came a couple of days later. They came out and got authorization to replace the motor on the pump. They went ahead and did that quickly. And it seems to be working. So, I'm very happy. Jordan, the gentleman that came, was very courteous, professional, timely, knew what he was talking about and how to get it done. He was terrific.

I've owned my home for a number of years now. Unfortunately, during the past couple of years, I've also had to have to replace a lot of things with just they were at the end of life or they broke. A lot of expensive big ticket things. My fear is that I would have to keep doing that with some other things. And it would be a real problem for me to do that. My brother had been an AHS customer for a while and he suggested it. I had heard about home warranties, but never gave it too much thought. And I just said, "I think this would be a true financial advantage to me to have this kind of program to help me take care of some homeowner needs going forward." And lo and behold, I had another need and it was great. Not only does it cover the expense, but it did the hassle of finding someone to do the work and getting them out there at a timely fashion.

Normally, if you're doing this stuff on your own, putting the cost of it aside, finding someone who's trustworthy and who's going to show up and do it right and not overcharge you, that's a lot of legwork. So, I would have to take time out of my day to do that kind of legwork, which means time away from work or from my family. So, it was a real advantage to me. This can be financially advantageous to you, give you some peace of mind. It's helpful. Just assess what things you would need and talk to the sales rep about which plan would be best for you.

Eben,

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

My dryer wouldn't start. I submitted an online request to American Home Shield. The website is good. The guy who was sent here knew what he was doing. It was a fuse. He just went on and put the fuse in and cleaned the machine up. He put it back together and was out in about less than two hours. Overall, AHS is a good company.

Leighton,

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

My microwave quit working. The timer worked, but it didn't turn on. We got a text and an email from the vendor and scheduled the time that they were going to be here, and had a picture of the technician coming. They did a great job. They left the pieces that were broken and showed us what was causing the problem and left me the broken pieces. AHS has always worked out just fine.

Bryan,

Thanks for reaching out to provide that feedback. I am glad the contractors followed through with the appointment that was set but happier for you that your issue has been resolved.

We are here for you if you need us in the future. Take Care.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

We had to reroute the air ducts and the contractor came out right away. They were very intelligent and informed. They did a great job.

Andrew,
    Thank you for sharing your recent experiences with us. We are happy that we were able to get the issue resolved for you and we look forward to our continued business together.

Have a great day.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

The guy from this one plumbing company is rude, awful and doesn't know what he's talking about. I had to go back and forth with American Home Shield with my payment and to get somebody else out here. I went round and round with them for a long time and spoke to a manager. The big problem that I had with them was that it was a big leak. It ruined my whole kitchen and it took them so long going round and round with this and that. There was even mildew and mold growing because it took them so long to figure this out.

Finally, it got resolved. I told them to write on my account never to send that company out again but they tried two times to send them back in my house when I asked for a plumber. American Home Shield shouldn't use a certain company for anybody if they keep getting complaints on the same person. They should be a little bit more choosy on who they let work for them. Another appliance guy couldn't figure out what was up with my washer even when I videotaped it for him. They kept flooding my garage and I have a room in my garage. That was awful. But all the other ones I've gotten were good.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

I'm very well pleased with American Home Shield. I had to have a hot water heater replaced and the contractor was very timely. They did it in about an hour's time and everything was good. We upgraded to a little bit bigger unit and had to have some drains put in that we didn't have on the old one so we had to pay something extra. We love American Home Shield.

Bennis,

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

I filed a claim online when the microwave wasn't functioning. The website was user-friendly. The tech explained to me what caused the problem. He explained that it was a problem with the door and that he would have to order a replacement part, and the timeframe for which it would come back. I was pleased with the services of that particular company. The microwave is now functioning as expected. For the most part, I've been pleased with the services that I've received from American Home Shield.

Andrea,

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

Our furnace went down and the tech came and figured it out within a half hour. He then traveled about an hour away to get the parts and came back and got it going up that day.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

In my recent claim, the breaker wouldn't stay on. I figured it was the switch itself, and sure enough, it was. The electrician came out and replaced it. It was affecting the dryer, the utility room, and the garage light. Having American Home Shield is good to have for peace of mind. I had gone through three water heaters and it was very hard to come up with 600 or 700 bucks every time.

Juanita,
    Our main objective is to provide exceptional service and a quick resolution to all of your home warranty needs. Your feedback regarding your recent experiences with us is greatly appreciated.

We look forward to servicing you in the future as needed. Take Care.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

Whenever we have problems, we just contact AHS and they contact the contractor. When we have things go wrong, we don’t have to pay for costly repairs. We just pay the fee that the warranty charge.

Lebinson,

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

The heating units are in this crawlspace in the attic and the fan wasn't coming on. It's in a place I can't access and I can't crawl in there and get to it. So I needed somebody to come out and reset that. It took the the techs five minutes. They were very polite and they were neat.

Robin,

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

I had a leaky faucet. I put the request in to AHS's website and then it immediately came back and said my claim has been assigned to The Lindsay Company. They called me and the techs were perfect. They put a seal kit in the faucet handle. Everything has worked great so far with AHS. Depending on how much how much work you need around the house, it could be a very good deal. And service is great.

American Home Shield response

Thanks for sharing your warranty experience. Please let us know if you need if you need assistance. Have an amazing week.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

I filed a claim for my laundry but it was a simple fix. The techs caught something that was there before that was leaking as well. Recently, the furnace stopped heating up after a certain temperature. It would just shut off and I would have to restart the AC and do it again. AHS set an appointment right away for me but it took Doctor Cool a while to get to my house. They had to come three separate times. The first time, they changed the motherboard and that wasn't the problem. The second time, they adjusted some things but that wasn't it either. The third time, they redid the motor and the furnace has been working since.

AHS should partner up with somebody else because Doctor Cool had to come up three times. We didn't have the furnace for two days. AHS doesn't have overnight service. If they're going to warranty for something like the heater, AC or flood issues, they should always have overnight service.

Fedelyn,

Great! We appreciate you taking time to share your warranty experience. We look forward to handling your AHS needs. Have an amazing week.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

The oven wasn't working right. It was a faulty igniter. It was an awesome experience with the tech. He had what we needed on his truck, which was awesome, too. I was very impressed with the repair guy because he fixed what he had to fix. A lot of these home warranty companies send out people and they always try to upsell you on stuff, especially to the older people. But that didn't happen to me with American Home Shield. My husband picked them out and it's been great so far. The technician had a great personality. He was working on a holiday and came out in the evening. He's an asset for AHS to use for their company.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

The furnace would be going and it would stop then it wouldn't completely heat the house with the right temperature. The contractor completely fixed it and the service was great. People should get American Home Shield and I've told a couple of people that were buying houses. It's a safety net and it takes a lot less worry off of your mind knowing that you may not have to shell out all of the money if something breaks or goes bad.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

The technician was excellent, efficient, courteous and good. He was very businesslike, did what he had to do and did it good. But he was overwhelmed because he was working on three different appliances at the same time and left the refrigerator undone. He left the defrosting and didn't even tell me that. So, the refrigerator was hot and everything was spoiled. The ice maker was completely frozen and he didn't bother to even check it when he left.

I called Samsung because I didn't know how to make the refrigerator warmer. I had to throw out everything that was in there because everything rotted out in all those hours of it being offline. Samsung told me to press on something and asked if I could see any lights on the panel. They were red and the rep asked me what the temperature was. It was not the right temperature and he said he needed me to check the ice maker. I couldn't get it open so I had to put the phone down and bring out some more towels because I noticed that water was still leaking. When I finally got the ice maker door or compartment open, it was a block of ice all over the place. Samsung said that I had a major issue.

Regarding the light, the rep told me to take out the water filter and open it up. But he never bothered to tell me to close the water hose at the back of the refrigerator and the moment I opened that water purificator, a fountain of water gushed out, until four inches of water came out of the refrigerator onto the floor. I have tile floors but it went underneath the stove. I got every towel that I owned in the house and put it all over the house and in the kitchen. Then, I got my whip back while Samsung was on the phone and they would not leave me.

There was no warranty but they said that it was such a manic thing that they're going to give me a courtesy and they didn't charge me. They sent a technician with a bunch of parts to replace the ice maker. But American Home Shield was supposed to order the seal of the freezer door, which was broken. The guy said he placed an order and I thought it was at the same time he placed the parts for the other things. That one didn't come in and they haven't called me to present to tell me whether the part is in or not. Also, I need to call to find out if my AC system and my garage door opener are covered under this warranty. I don't know that for sure and I need to make a service call for that.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

AHS has been great and they've been really responsive, as far as getting the contractors out here. We had one issue where we had to have the contractor come out repeatedly and there was no push back, so we're very happy. Recently, we had a tech come out and he was fast and professional. He was in and out. He talked to my husband, changed our garbage disposal, and was out of the way.

I submit my claims online and it's super easy, quick, and fast. You just go in the website and say what's broken. Then, it asks you if you're willing to pay the $100 copay and you submit it. After that, you get an email back saying that a contractor has been assigned and who it is. From there, you get a text message saying that the contract is assigned and will be contacting you on such and such date to set up the visit to assess your problem. I would request not to pay the $100 copay but I'm sure they can't get rid of that. Other than that, I'd tell others to get the warranty to save money. It's already paid for itself in repairs and replacements in the things that we've had go bad in our home just in the last three months. So it's worth the money.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

I have a dual oven and when I was doing self-cleaning, the bottom oven locked up and stopped working. I called American Home Shield and the rep was very pleasant. A technician was sent out but the unit is old and they didn't have a piece to replace it. So, he put in an order to have it replaced and AHS approved it. I have to call them because when they brought in the new oven, it was bigger than what I had. They would not do any modifications to the unit. They would only install it but they couldn't install it because the space where they were taking out my old oven was not large enough. So, I had to pay someone to come in, open up the space and install it for me. Once we got the oven out, I had to put in the new one and I need to let AHS know that they can come and pick up the old one.

Wendy,

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

For the most part, it's been all right whenever I file a claim. If it's someone that I've used before and I saw that they did good work, that's who I ask for again. When the water heater went out, I told them right off the bat that I wanted someone that would do a good job. All-American Plumbing came and did that. The guy that did the work was one of their top technicians. Any time I have anything done to my house, I always watch, and we held a casual conversation while he was working.

Then sometimes I don't like the work of the people that AHS sends out. When the motor went out on my AC unit, it was replaced. However, the contractor wasn't so good. Now I'm noticing that my AC unit is very loud on the outside where the fan runs when it wasn't like that before they placed that. But I didn't complain about it and I left it like it was. I just didn't notice until after the job was done for some days. But if that need comes up again, I won't be getting them.

American Home Shield is something good to have. It's just that there's a lot of stuff that I don't understand. When something happens in our home, I always call and ask what's covered and what's not. With the water heater, they said all parts and components were covered, then that means everything. But when they came to install, we had to pay for the replacement of the new pipes and the little white bubble that sits on top, so there was some misleading.

Paulette,

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

I like that it's very easy to put a request in with American Home Shield. I get contacted by the next day, so that's good. Then the contractors come out three days at most after I get contacted. Recently, American Appliance Repair came out for the washer. Then the error message has come up again, and I put in a request again that it wasn't fixed. I got the system message yesterday that a contractor was assigned. I'm waiting on that one, but it might just be because of the weather. I also got a message that I wasn't going to be charged the deductible. But I didn't know about the 30-day rule.

Joseph,

We really appreciate you taking time to share your warranty experience. We look forward to handling your future AHS needs. Have an amazing week.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2022

When I started to acquire a home warranty, I contacted a few people and talking with American Home Shield was simple and to the point. They satisfied what I wanted. American Home Shield is a good choice. All of my experiences with them have been above average. Recently, we couldn't get the unit to come on. It's a gas furnace that's tied into the AC. If the air conditioner compressor doesn't come on, it won't blow heat. I called American Home Shield and everything went perfect. There was a small communication issue, but that was my fault. I got texts to meet the contractor out at the property but didn't see them. But when I got there, he was there working on the unit on the outside. He was cordial. He needed to come inside and I was able to open the door for him to come inside. He came in, found the problem and corrected it.

Charles,

Original review: Jan. 2, 2022

I'm satisfied with American Home Shield. Everything is lovely. I made a claim Sunday night after Christmas and that Tuesday, I had a technician out here, so that was pretty swift. My stove wouldn't switch from broiler to baking and everything came out well. I wanted to write a check and the tech kept saying not to. After he left, I looked on my phone and realized the service charge had already been debited from my account. The service charges went up a little bit but a thing that's good about it is we're already charged before a technician comes out. There’s no more cash passed at the door and I like that.

Eyla,

Original review: Jan. 2, 2022

American Home Shield sent All Brand Appliance Repair and they fixed my dishwasher, my freezer, my refrigerator and my washing machine. The freezer was making some kind of weird noise. Some kind of fan was out of place, so the tech fixed that. Then, the motor part on the bottom of the refrigerator was shot. So, he cleaned all that and he replaced that part. It runs like a champ now. The dishwasher needed a new motor and some kind of sump pump thing. He fixed that. Then, the washing machine got everything new, part wise, in it from the ground up. He just rebuilt the whole thing instead of replacing it. The tech's name was Will. He's awesome. If I can have somebody come out, I'd request him. The only problem I have with AHS is each year, the monthly charge goes up. So, if you can pay for the whole thing up front, I would do that. When I first got Home Shield, it was like $49 a month and now, it's almost $65.

Michael,

Original review: Jan. 2, 2022

Updated on 01/13/2022: This is a continuation of a previous review, Leaking Toilets. Neither the contracted plumber Rooter King (first one) nor the (second plumber) Supreme Plumbing have completed any work on the 3 leaking toilets approved for repair. Multiple calls to AHS customer service and no resolution. Stacy replied on the previous review for this issue and stated AHS would be contacting me, no contact... disgusted!

Original Review: The issue was three leaking toilets. These folks came out, assessed the situation, looked at them, said they would have to order parts. They supposedly went to their vendors to order the parts. Two weeks later, came back and took one of them apart to take the parts with them to the vendor. Because they said, “Well, I don’t know what the vendor ordered, and the vendor’s having a hard time getting what they needed. So, we have to compare it.” So instead of a picture, they decided to take it physically over there.

They came back half a day later. The tech said, “Yeah, they don't have these parts.” I said, “Well, shouldn't we have known that two weeks ago?" And he said, “Yeah. Unfortunately, they ordered the wrong stuff.” “Okay. So now, how do we get it repaired?” He said, “Well, they're not going to be able to match this part.” I said, “Okay. So how do we get it repaired?” He said, “Well, we'll just replace the flushing mechanism itself to a regular flushing mechanism that KOHLER has on there, if that's okay with you?” I said, “Yes, that's fine.”

He said, “We will need to contact American Home Shield and let them know that we're going to just switch those out. It’s probably cheaper anyway, because we don't have to go through this entire mechanism that you have here that was installed in the first place.” Because that's what came with the toilets, what they call the rapid flush system. It really isn't. It's just a home, fancy look to it. But they left. After they left, they never came back. So a week later, I called him. He said, “Yeah, we're not going to be able to repair it because you had all that stuff installed after you did the toilets, and that's not part of our contract. Our contract says that we only replaced original parts. And we couldn't find the parts, so we don't know what it needs. Well, we got paid our 75 to assess it.” That’s it. And he hung up on me.

I called AHS. They said, “I can't believe that you guys paid for this.” I still got charged for the service call, because they decided to go ahead and close it. AHS shouldn't have. But I understand that they were going by what the plumber reported. But the plumber reported that they could not repair the part. So instead of contacting me, they went ahead and paid the plumber, and never said a word to me at all. I always got the, “We will call you for sure in the next 48 hours to let you know what's going on,” I never got a call back. I hate the way it sounds because that doesn't mean that someone can’t still do their job. If they did their job, then that means they would follow up with me, “I'm sorry, but they're not going to be able to repair it,” or, “They're reporting this. Is that the case?” “Well, no, that's not the case.” But it's always communication overseas. So the unfortunate part is that it's not a local situation, and it's not something that I could manage.

It's obvious. Those toilets were all installed in 2008. So, almost 14 years ago. The mechanisms were in there that long. Unfortunately, they all failed at the same time. All of a sudden, they're all running. And it's like, “Okay, can someone just come out and check them and see if we can repair them?” “Sure, we can repair them.” Then, nothing.

We got a second plumber that came out, did a good assessment on it and said, “Yeah, we can repair that. That's not a problem. Let me go back to them, let them know what they need.” And I'm hoping that the second plumber is going to do the job. He seemed to know what he was doing and understood common sense. So hopefully, that's where we're headed. But so far, I haven't heard back from AHS on whether they approved it or not. And I haven't heard from the plumber whether AHS approved it or not. But I'm sitting here waiting for the last four weeks on trying to get repaired of three leaky toilets.

American Home Shield response

Thanks for sharing your warranty experience. I apologize for the inconvenience we've caused you. My name is Stacy and I will email you shortly as I would like to speak to you more about your claim.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2022

The heater wouldn't come on. The breaker on it melted. An electrician came and they replaced the breaker. It’s a fail-safe. But they replaced the inside breaker and it worked. Then an HVAC person repaired the actual fan. It might have been something with the fan speed or the motor. It wasn't totally not working, but it was functioning slower, and he repaired that. American Home Shield's price goes up every year. Other than that, I've had good service with them.

Dwayne,

Original review: Jan. 2, 2022

An hour or so after I submitted a claim through the American Home Shield website, I got a text message acknowledging my submission there. Then immediately, maybe an hour after that, I got another text message saying that it's been assigned to AH Appliances Repair. What happened was they didn't come out immediately. The repair person called me, and he said he wanted to do an online diagnosis. I said okay. Then he sent another link, which when I clicked on that link, it enabled a video on my phone that he was able to see. He asked me to turn it on and then show him what exactly was happening.

He diagnosed the problem. He said, “Okay, the motor is gone. We need to replace it. It might take a week or so.” He said that he would call me the moment he received the part. A couple of days later, he called and said, “I received the part. I'm in the neighborhood. Can I come and fix it?” I was not at home that time, so I told him. He said, “No problem. Give me a time and I can come and fix it.” He did come out and he fixed it. He did a very good job. Overall, the experience was good, but the kudos should go to the repair person.

Shiva,

Original review: Jan. 2, 2022

All American Plumbing did good. They came earlier than what they said they would and then unclogged the drain.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2022

The claims process was very simple and seamless. I had an issue with my dishwasher and the tech was very helpful. He had to order a part, and then came back and did it at a different time. With AHS, there's a little less hassle and less out of pocket. I like the service.

Donald,

That's exactly what we like to hear. We are happy to know that AHS is beneficial to you. Thanks for sharing your warranty experience. Have great week.

American Home Shield Company Information