4.3/5 (12565 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Kathryn Parkman
Edited by Jon Bortin

About American Home Shield

American Home Shield is a home warranty company with over 1.8 million customers. It provides home service contracts that cover major home systems and appliances and offers additional protection for electronics and select maintenance services. The company has access to a network of over 17,000 licensed contractors and has paid out over $2 billion in claims over the past five years.

Pros

• 30-day workmanship guarantee
    • Flexible payment options
    • Does not require maintenance records

Cons

• Not available in Alaska
    • Some customer service complaints

Bottom Line

American Home Shield offers three warranty plans to cover systems and appliances, regardless of age. AHS provides additional coverage for electronics, pools or spas, and roof leak repairs.

American Home Shield Reviews

Over 50k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?

Original review: Nov. 15, 2022

My central AC unit wasn't blowing cool air. The techs couldn't figure what was blowing the fuses out. But it's repaired and so far, so good.

American Home Shield response

We are grateful for the time that you've taken to share you AHS experience. Please let us know if you need any assistance in regards to your warranty. Have a great week.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
    Original review: Nov. 15, 2022

We had a claim more than a year ago. Their contractor did a bad job with our shower and about a week later, the whole thing busted. It was running full speed and we couldn't shut it off. We called American Home Shield and it was the day before a holiday. They told us to hire our own plumber because they couldn't get anybody to come. We did and they said to make sure the plumber calls before he does any repairs. The plumber came out and he couldn't shut the water off because with the way the building works, we'd have to shut off the water in the whole building.

It was Sunday and my wife called American Home Shield with the plumber but she got a voicemail saying, "Call during business hours." They called again during business hours but there was nobody she could get ahold of. The plumber fixed the thing and it cost us $900. American Home Shield refused to pay because we didn't get their approval before the guy made the repairs, even though we couldn't get their approval because when my wife called, it went to voicemail. I went through this with them for hours and hours over the phone.

For little things, they come out and they fix it. But when it came down to an emergency, they were the worst of the worst. And their customer service was ridiculous and horrible. They wore me down. I called them so many times and stood on the phone with them for so long to get these people, almost every time from the Philippines, who didn't know what was going on. They didn't have any authority to do anything and they were hard to understand. Also, they put me on hold again and again and they said they would take care of it but they change their mind and said they wouldn't take care of it. They're terrible.

American Home Shield response

Hi Roger, We appreciate you sharing your warranty experience. My name is Chapie’l and I will be emailing you my contact information. I would like to speak with you more about your concerns.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2022

Because I didn't have keys to all the doors, I had the house rekeyed, and it was great. We set a date, and the guy was there on time. He talked to me and showed me what they do and how they do it. He got me what I needed for the door. It was very simple and easy. So far, so good with the warranty.

American Home Shield response

We really appreciate you taking time to share your warranty experience. We look forward to handling your future AHS needs. Have an amazing week.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2022

AHS is well worth it if that one major appliance goes out. I filed a claim for my microwave and the tech that came out was good.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2022

I've been with AHS for a few years now and I haven't had any problems at all. The repairman did a super job on the furnace. It was making a noise and not heating the way that it should. When the heat would come on, the burner would go off.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2022

The repairman who came for the refrigerator was nice. It wasn't doing the problem when he arrived, but he did a reset and since then, it's not having any problems. One of my drawers for my vegetables was freezing. He told me how to stop it from happening in the future. I've always had a good experience with American Home Shield. However, calling them is an absolute nightmare. You are on hold forever. I would hope that that would get rectified, but I haven't seen it yet.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2022

American Home Shield sent Accurate Appliance for a microwave. The technician was fine. He said it was not able to be repaired. So, he said it was for replacement. The new microwave I got is working fine.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2022

I had a plumbing issue with my bathtub. So I called American Home Shield and then they looked up plumbers that they're contracted within my area. They told me of two different company and asked which one I preferred and they set it up. They referred me to a company out of Melvindale, Michigan. It went really well. They sent me a email to schedule date and time to come to the home. We agreed upon that but then I had to change the schedule and the company responded pretty quickly via email. I called them on a Thursday and then they scheduled me for that Monday. They came out pretty fast. The guy repaired the plumbing situation within an hour. I haven't had any further problems with that particular situation.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2022

The washing machine wasn't draining right and the spin cycle was not working correctly. The contractor, Hornet Appliance, came within 48 hours and had to order the parts. They weren't able to source them locally and American Home Shield had to source the parts. So, it took about 10 days. From my experience with American Home Shield, the home warranty is basically for your appliances. I've learned not to call them for electrical problems because everybody they send out doesn't spend more than five minutes here and they don't fix the problem. It's great for appliances and some plumbing issues.

AHS has always taken care of the problem and even for electrical, they've sent the people out here. So they're holding up their end. AHS has been great and very timely. They had to replace one of my refrigerators because they could not fix it and I had a great experience with that. They bought me a brand-new refrigerator and got it up and running very quickly.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2022

In the past, American Home Shield was terrible. They don't have enough people who worked in the area. I asked a couple of people, and they said because they don't pay or they pay late or they don't pay enough, especially on the air conditioning part.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2022

I had an electrical repair. The tech was very knowledgeable. AHS is an easy way to be able to have those things be fixed at a reasonable cost at the time of.

American Home Shield response

We are happy to know that AHS is beneficial to you. Thanks for sharing your warranty experience. Have great week.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Nov. 15, 2022

The plumbing service providers are subpar. They appeared in an unmarked van and they had no emblem on their shirt. The bathroom faucet drain was leaking underneath the cabinet. They did like a quick problem-solving thing but after they left, there was a piece of the faucet that was left behind that wasn't put back into the faucet. Also, they had been yanking on the faucet so much that they completely loosened the faucet on the sink. You could take it and move it around. Plus, it as still leaking badly.

I wasn't happy with the work they did and they had to do a recall. They're very nice but I don't even know if they were licensed. They didn't correct the problem the first time and it took much longer than it should have. The second time, they tightened the faucet and they said that I didn't need to have the piece they left behind in the faucet. Also, the plumber had a lot of trouble trying to patch the leak up.

In addition to that, the tech chipped the paint on my cabinets because he didn't lay down some sort of padding. Also, one of my tiles is racked. I wasn't given a business card and I was given a handwritten receipt for what they did. He said that a family member owns the company and just gave his family members jobs. I'm not gonna be renewing with AHS.

American Home Shield response

Hi Pat, We appreciate you sharing your warranty experience. My name is Chapie’l and I will be emailing you my contact information. I would like to speak with you more about your concerns.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2022

American Home Shield saves me lot of problems. I called them for the AC unit. The repairman who came knew his stuff. He pulled out the casing and said he knew what the problem was. It was the conductor. He didn't even touch anything. He told me, "You use see that thing? If I push it in, it may pop out." Sure enough, he pushed it in and it popped out. He said, "That's what's wrong. I could change that and you'll be good." He went to his van, came back with one in a box, took out that one, put the other one, and it was out already. He told me, "Now turn it on, wait then turn it off." It worked.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2022

American Home Shield is great. They always have a prompt response when I call, and they always get somebody out who’s gonna do the job. If they don't do the job, then they will call them and find out why. They don’t argue with the contractors. They just get somebody else to do the job. Another thing is that they're reasonable in rates. I don't mind paying that money because it helps me and they do a really good job. I hope others will join American Home Shield because it's fantastic. In fact, I would have been in it a long time ago if I had known they were that good, but I couldn’t believe it. Also, until I saw it on TV, I didn’t even know that there was something of this type.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2022

The service with American Home Shield is very good and fast, and then the appliances or pieces are free for the service.

American Home Shield response

We appreciate you taking time to share your warranty experience. We look forward to handling your AHS needs. Have an amazing week.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2022

The stovetop quit working. And the electrical outlet in the island quit working. It flipped the switch in the electrical box. American Home Shield first sent out the electrician to say if it was an electrical problem. The electrician took out the stove. And whatever they did bypassed the wiring for the stove. And he was able to flip the switch on the electrical box. So, he said it's not electrical. It's the stove. AHS sent out an appliance guy who looked at the stove, and one of the switches was off. It was burned. And that's what kept flipping the switch. Because prior to that, I would flip the switch and it would flip back off. There was nothing that would keep it going. So, I had two different vendors on that.

The stove guy fixed it well, and explained everything. That was wonderful. I liked them. They did a fine job. The technician diagnosed it, got the part and fixed it. Some of the people AHS send out are bad. But that one was great and timely. I have another ongoing claim with AHS. And it was from June of this year that the stove vent hood for my second property that my son lives in. The guy came out, and you can't repair vent hoods. You have to replace the whole vent hood. So, they never did. And it still has not been repaired to this day.

The AHS agent called up and said, "You have to take pictures of the vent hood. You have to measure it. You have to tell us the model." I said, "But the technician did that and gave that to AHS." And he said, "No, he didn't." We called the technician, and he said he gave it all. And he said, "You have to send me pictures of the vent hood." I sent him pictures. But nothing happened.

The same guy, again, came up and said, "We have to do this all over again." More pictures and all of that. But nothing happened. So that hood is still not working on the stove. And I've already paid the $100. What they did was same thing as on my stove. They sent the electrician out, and he said, "No. You got to do an appliance thing." I'm supposed to call the appliance replacement and do it all myself. But AHS was supposed to come and replace the appliance. And nothing has been done on that. My husband died last year, and he could fix anything. So it would be, "Can I fix it for less than 100 or more than 100?”

I had so many things go out last year. I had to go without a refrigerator for six weeks. I had to go without a stove for the same issue that I have now. Had to go without a stove for three weeks. I had to go without an air conditioner in 105 degrees for three days. Which I was pleased that I did get it done in three days. There were so many things that went done that I was so disgusted with AHS that I would have never referred them. But I was happy with the last claim. It was done very timely. And it was done by people who got it done quickly.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2022

I took advantage of the rekeying at no expense and that went very well. The tech did a great job.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2022

Normally, the process is easy. American Home Shield just takes care of the issue, whatever it may be. However, it was confusing this time. I got mixed emails. I didn't know what was going on for a week and a half. But we straightened it out. Sears came out for a microwave and they diagnosed the problem. But they didn't repair it because no parts were available. Too old. So, a replacement has been ordered, which is supposed to be delivered tomorrow.

Some of the vendors aren't qualified. I had a problem with the refrigerator once and it took eight months to get it repaired because the first vendor that was sent out didn't know what he was doing. But Sears has been good. I always suggest American Home Shield. When people say they got a problem with an air conditioner or an appliance, I'd say, "You should look at a home warranty. That will save you a lot of out of pocket at the time you need it." I'm a guy that has a savings account toward problems. It's not like you're gonna save money in the long run, but you're not gonna be out that big hit when something goes wrong.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2022

The burners of my stove wouldn't cut on. I logged into my account with AHS and submitted a request. It was very easy. I received a text message that A&E Services was the contractor. They gave a window time from 8:00 to 3:00, so I was able to track where he was so I know to be home. It was really convenient. When the tech came in, he was very professional. I've been with AHS for two years now. Their deductible was more reasonable than the previous home warranty service I had. Also, when they gave me a quote, I wasn't able to afford that. So, they worked with me and lowered my yearly quote.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2022

American Home Shield is convenient. I'm enjoying it. When I had a problem with plumbing, I just went in the app, made the order, paid the deductible, and they were very efficient. It was a stoppage in a drain pipe, and they got it all ordered. The plumber came the next day. It was quick. The deductible wasn't bad at all.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2022

American Home Shield covers a bunch of things. A contractor came out and repaired my washer once or twice. Then American Home Shield ended up replacing it. Recently, a technician repaired the dryer that quit working. I've never had any complaint about any technician American Home Shield has used. They've always been courteous and polite.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2022

An air conditioner didn't work and a fan blade was stuck to the motor. American Home Shield sent someone out. This guy had some long screws in it and it made a horrible noise. You couldn't even stand 15 feet away and talk because it was noisy. I called American Home Shield back. They wanted to charge me $248-some to come back out and fix it. I fought with American Home Shield for a couple of months because they said they couldn't come out because of the noise. I didn't cause the noise. The technician caused the noise. The screws also caused the renter some problems. They usually pay about $6 a day for the electricity, and it went up to $14 a day.

American Home Shield said they would refund the $100 and I paid them another 100 bucks to get someone out. GM Air came out and all they had to do was cut the screws off. I was also told it was the wrong fan. They had to order a different kind. When we had a furnace problem, I requested GM Air. The technician that came out was fantastic. He fixed it very well. In the future, I want GM Air to come out.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Nov. 14, 2022

I have been with AHS for 15 years, but this last experience is the last straw. If the problem is easily fixable, no problem. I had very good service then. If it's not, be prepared to wait forever while they repeatedly try to fix it so they don't have to replace it. The first instance was my thermostat on the water heater. They sent people 3 times to tell me what might be wrong but never actually did anything. After my boyfriend googled it and found out it was the thermostat, they ordered the part and finally fixed it after an extended period.

The second instance dealt with my over the range microwave. It shorted out. After sending someone out to confirm that, they said they would replace it. However, they made me look up the dimensions online (which they could have done), send them to AHS, and then ordered one. It took 1.5 months to replace the microwave. I could've done that in 1 day.

There were other instances, but this last one is unforgivable. My 20 yr old Maytag dishwasher died. It needed a new pump and motherboard according to the repairman. He said it'd be better to replace it, but after submitting his opinion to AHS, they decided to fix it. Three times they ordered the parts and 3 times they arrived broken. We're on the fourth attempt to order parts right now. This started in August 2022 and we're now in mid November. There have been no communications from AHS nor could I elicit a response by calling. There are very limited ways to contact them.

I checked my account page to look for updates and they said that I had a service appointment with Whirlpool on "Dec 31, 1969." I don't even know what that means! After calling the number, their automated service said there was no record of a service call for my address. I can't seem to find any explanation for anything. Their contract says there is no limit to how many times they will try to fix an appliance or system, so I suppose this issue with my dishwasher will go on forever. I am cancelling my warranty and buying the dishwasher that I want as I am sure they won't replace it with a quality one. My advice is to skip the warranty. It doesn't pay off in the long run unless you have a catastrophic failure and you may have to wait for months to have it replaced.

American Home Shield response

Hi Carol, We appreciate you sharing your warranty experience. My name is Chapie’l and I will be emailing you my contact information. I would like to speak with you more about your concerns.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2022

I utilized the rekey service and that was a great experience. The tech was really friendly and very fast. The only thing I found slightly annoying is that AHS is a gift to me and our title company got things mixed up. As a result the payment got cancelled and I got a phone call every single day from Home Shield asking me for payment. It was very annoying. I had to contact my realtor a couple of times before she got the payment through. I eventually stopped getting calls regarding it.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2022

I love American Home Shield. My heat wasn't working, and I had to call them. Somebody had to come out. I needed a new motor, and they had to order a motor. They brought it back and put it in. AHS is excellent. I did have kind of a bad experience last year when my refrigerator needed a part and the people hadn't called me back. I mean, it was just a big mess. They ended up giving me a brand-new refrigerator. I don't know how many months it took. But anyway, I finally ended up getting it. But I was kind of disappointed at American Home Shield then.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2022

My range was not working good and the tech came in and fixed it. It’s still missing parts so he came back yesterday and ordered some more parts. He said he’s gonna come back. When I applied with American Home Shield, the rep told me the monthly payment could be 125 but they downgraded to 79, which was what I could pay for monthly. And I agreed to that. I asked for service to come over and they told me to set up the work order through the phone or through the app, which I did. I was charged $125 when I did the work order and I asked what that was for because I've never been told that I will be charged every time a service person comes over. It was not talked about in the beginning. I talked about it and I was at a point that I was gonna leave AHS because that was how I left other people. Then, they returned our money back to my account. So far, AHS is good and everything is in the right direction.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2022

So far, American Home Shield has been great. Everybody's been nice. It's nice that they can get folks out quickly to us. A lot of stuff is covered. I find this a lot smoother process versus if I go through another service on my own. Recently, I had a problem with my dryer. It kept running. I couldn't turn it off unless I opened the door. A contractor came out and looked at it. It needed a new control panel on the back. They thought that it was gonna take a little bit longer to get the part but it came in less than a week. They were able to come out eight days prior to when they thought the part was going to be delivered. They were very flexible with that.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2022

I had an electrical issue which was a breaker. The electrician checked to make sure it wasn't something more than that. I have a second claim that I'm waiting on. The person that came out Friday looked at my plumbing but has never gotten back to me yet. They said they'd get back to me by Monday or Tuesday but it's now Thursday.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2022

The coverage people have can't go wrong. I just moved here and there were things that were missing or broken. The hot and cold water wasn’t working, and then the dryer. I did the claim all at once over the phone, then the repair people came out and did a great job. They were very nice and courteous too.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2022

I have a problem with my washer. I called in and submitted a claim with AHS and the rep told me that I would get a callback. The technician called back and they helped me out. The techs promised to come in today. So far, the customer service of AHS and their response have been outstanding.

American Home Shield Company Information