3.29/5
  • 1 star
Based on 7 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 18, 2016

7 Aetna Vision Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 18, 2016

The policy of what is covered, when it's covered, and who provides what is extremely confusing. Routine checkups (2 per year) are covered for each family member but not an and all vision care specialists are included so it make it difficult to travel a great distance just to take advantage of the program. The customer service phone reps seem very well versed in the policy but it take a lot of jumping through hoops to finally get to that person and you can tell the difference between an experienced rep and one who is actually being trained with you as the training guinea pig. I think that as many providers should be explored as possible before making an insurance selection; the policies - though seemingly similar - differ so dramatically in the fine print that you may be spending a lot of your money on something you'll never have the occasion or availability to take advantage of.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2016

I was able to easily access providers and local optometrists. Tests were done and my vision proved well. No further procedures were ordered. I was sent a list of available doctors. Coverage took care of most of my appointment fees. Over the phone service regarding questions was taken care of quickly. Over the phone customer service specialists were friendly and knowledgeable. They were able to help me select a doctor from the provided list of locally available ones. I was able to get routine checkups rather quickly and at a cost that was within a range I could afford. Previous providers proved less available and helpful, so it was a relief to be able to have this as an immediate resource.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 16, 2016

It was nothing spectacular, offering somewhat the same perks as other insurance companies. I mean, I wouldve kept it, but I had to renew my plan!!! Aetna was decent! It was in comparison with other companies. And it's always better than having no plan, at all! People do their job! They're not rude, they help answer your questions, & try to fix your concerns. They don't act as you owe them something, as some do. It's just as the other insurance companies, offering the same perks, that's for the people!!! It has many helpful hints, on having your plan.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2016

Small network. Wasn't happy at all. Will not consider again for insurance. Too expensive as well. Not satisfied. Would not recommend. Eye exams as parents' annual vision exam, and glasses were covered if needed. Eye surgery had to be approved. If approved covered, contacts were not covered. Hard to get in contact, waiting was long, explanations were not helpful, customer service was bad overall.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2016

It is accept by most optimist, but coverage is limit. For annual check $45, for frame $100, for lens, it is about 200 I think. Overall, the service is ok. Except file a reimburse myself for annual check, I did not contact the customer service at all. I did make call for medical insurance, the response time is acceptable. I had it since it is provide by my company as a package, I do not think it has a high value.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aetna Vision Insurance?

Original review: Nov. 6, 2016

My network options covered so many different clinics. Even my fave clinic. My glasses to choose from were vast too. The customer service was very effect as well. It was more than I expected for the cost. It covered frames, contacts, exams, but I believe even Lasix was covered too. And bifocals, it also covered anti-glare. Customer service was a pleasure. They were polite, efficient, great product knowledge and detail oriented. Very professional. I never had to wait long for questions to be answered. It saved me time and money. I could get glasses and contacts I wanted at a fraction of the total cost.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2016

You can pick from a number of providers, a number of different insurance levels and there is no claim paperwork to complete. Premiums are too high. Covers eye exam in full, most of the cost of frames, some of the cost of extras like progressive lenses and photo tint lenses. It also covers some of cost of contact lenses. You are not required to get pre-approval. You don't have to submit claims. You just pick your provider in the network and go. There are many providers to choose from in many areas. It would be helpful if it covered a larger amount for frames and a greater amount for progressive lenses and photo lenses. Otherwise, it is a great value for the cost of the premium.

Aetna Vision Insurance expert review by Cyril Tuohy

Aetna was established in 1853 and began offering health insurance policies to life insurance customers in 1899. They have been publicly traded on the New York Stock Exchange since the late-1960s. Aetna offers separate vision coverage for purchase through some employers.

• Stand-alone coverage: Aetna Vision Preferred is Aetna’s stand-alone eye care policy that reimburses policyholders for services in and out of Aetna’s eye care network, independent eye specialists and popular retailers. It is available through employers.

• Medical coverage: Aetna Vision insurance offers core vision-related benefits with some employer medical plans. Aetna Vision covers one eye exam every 12 to 24 months as part of a medical insurance plan. Members have the option of supplementing eye exam coverage with an allowance for glasses and contact lenses.

• @Aetna: Aetna customers can get help 24 hours a day by tweeting to the company using their Twitter accounts, @Aetna and @AetnaHelp. Those considering the company can also visit the company’s Twitter feed to see how the company responds to complaints.

• Consumer education: A portion of Aetna’s website is devoted to informing members about their rights. These resources including appealing a claim decision or denial of coverage, changing insurance providers and more.

• Heath news: The News & Analysis section of Aetna’s website has unique stories about developments in the healthcare industry as well as tips to help consumers make safe and healthy choices.

• Best for: Aetna Vision is best for individuals whose employers offer it as a benefit under a group health plan.

Profile picture of Cyril Tuohy
Cyril Tuohy

Insurance Contributing Editor

Cyril Tuohy, has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

Aetna Vision Insurance Company Information