3.28/5
Based on 49 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

AARP Medicare Supplemental Insurance

AARP offers roadside assistance through Allstate. AARP members who sign up for roadside assistance can get help 24/7 if they have a flat tire, need their car towed, run out of gas, have a dead car battery or lock their keys in their car. Members are covered in the United States, Puerto Rico and Canada.

Last updated: May 3, 2018

207 AARP Medicare Supplemental Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 3, 2018

Every time I come to their website (https://www.medicare.uhc.com/aarp) I waste hours only to end up calling on the phone and wasting more time! The new website is even worse! Two days ago I spent hours trying to find a new PCP since I received a letter stating that the current provider has left the practice. The search process simply does not work on this website. No matter what key words I input, I get incorrect information back if any at all. I put in "Lee Physicians Group" (current provider office) and get every doctor with the word "physician" in their profile! Yeah, that is all of them!

I select various filters in the search fields but none work. For example: select 'female' but still have males mixed in. Select Fort Myers location but get them all! Put in a physician’s name but get no returns, even though I know they are in the network! UHC (United Health Care) actually selected/appointed a new physician for me automatically, way over in Cape Coral! They actually sent me my new ID card with my new PCP that I did not pick and do not want! I live in Fort Myers. So there are no physicians participating here anymore???

So as usual, yesterday I make the dreaded phone call. Yep, another day off wasted with UHC and still no results! After talking to a UHC rep yesterday for half an hour, and being put on and off of hold several time (they have to research EVERY question or escalate it to someone that may know the answer…), I finally realized she could not provide me with any information whatsoever! She said she could mail me a book with all the physicians listed in it! What!? I told her this is 2018, I am in your website now... just tell me how to access the available network physicians since the search function does not work! She said the website does not provide that. What!? So I cannot use the website to search for a new doctor nor can I access the information within the website. So what is the website for again??? So I asked to speak to a supervisor.

After being on hold for a supervisor for 15 minutes, I hung up. This is not a one-time issue; this has become the new norm. Today I decided it was time to change insurance companies. So I have spent another morning on my day off to research other providers only to become so overwhelmed that I felt like giving up! I even sent emails from within the website a couple days ago asking for help and explaining what experience I had in a detailed message. They did not even respond! Fed Up! I suppose I will have to fill in one of those quote request online forms, only to be flooded with phone calls and emails from every agent in Florida! So I decided to put my review out there so others may make an informed decision on which Medicare supplemental insurance plan they place their healthcare needs with.

Original review: May 2, 2018

AARP is a good and honest company that treats their members with respect and good service with a lot to be proud of. And I respect and appreciate them a lot. But there is a long wait time when I try to call them.

Get expert buying tips about Medicare Supplemental Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 2, 2018

I have my drug plan with United Health Care and have been with them for at least 6 year now. My experience has been very positive with United HC and have had excellent service. I have seen quite a lot of premium increases thru my time with the company. The premium is beginning to get rather expensive. The drug tiers and drug out of pocket cost are beginning to also become very iffy. However I have a 0 deductible which I like very much. The plan I had before had a fairly high deductible and didn't even give any benefit until I met that deductible. I prefer to stay with the same company and do not like changing each year.

Original review: May 1, 2018

The company is so willing to provide you with benefits and that they are willing to cater to your every need no matter what it is and I really appreciate it. I like the environment of the company because the service is really good and the atmosphere is great too and leaves you comfortable like we are with family, everything is nice in the company. They should keep doing what they are doing so that more people can know how great this program is to anyone.

Original review: April 30, 2018

The company has been easy to work with and they have taken the time and called explain to us things that did not seem to be understood and to make sure there were not any issues. All of our claims for coverages have been taken care of satisfactorily and very accurately.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AARP?

Original review: April 29, 2018

They are great for paying any difference that Medicare will not pay and I can use any doctor or hospital. Also, they are 100% easy to contact. They have a 24 hour call center for any questions I might have and are very polite when I call them and they help me 100% with my question. I like the very informative booklet they sent me which shows all that I am covered for and is a great help for most questions that I have. As long as Medicare pays for a service, then they will pay any difference. I am so pleased with AARP (United Healthcare Plan) that I also applied for Dental insurance with them. And I would not change it for any other plan at this time.

Original review: April 29, 2018

I have drug coverage (Part D) and it has not been a very good or efficient or efficient experience. They have forced me to answer the same questions more than once in order to obtain mail order drug prescriptions. The plan is sponsored by AARP (of which I am a longtime members) and provided by United Healthcare (with which I have for other family medical coverages). Signing up for an account on their website has been problematic and their mail order service has been rather aggravating/frustrating to use. They had to overnight my first prescriptions because of their failure to perform in a timely manner.

Signing up for an account on their web site has been problematic and their mail order service has been rather aggravating/frustrating to use. They had to overnight my first prescriptions because of their failure to perform in a timely manner.

Original review: April 28, 2018

I have multiple chronic diseases such as diabetes, hypertension, obesity, kidney disease, and hypothyroid disease and also experienced breast cancer with chemo, radiation and surgery and despite all these issues the significant majority of the cost of my care was covered. All my various providers readily accepted AARP along with Medicare and there was no difficulty with co-pays or with the filing of charges for reimbursement. Just very easy to utilize which was very helpful since during much of the time, I was very fatigued and unable to handle difficulty.

Original review: April 27, 2018

They are a much needed brand. They took care of me when no one else would. If not for them then I wouldn't be where I am at today. My experience was great with them and I would not change one single thing about them. I really liked their customer service. They were friendly, knowledgeable and above all else very very helpful. I never had to wait more than a day to get a response back to any question that I may have had and boy oh boy did I have a lot of them. They were helpful through and through. I hope I never have to use them again but if I do I would be proud of it.

Original review: April 26, 2018

I have been very satisfied with AARP. They are very helpful and easy to do business with. I can count on them. They give great advice and recommendations that are in my best interest. Additionally, they have an easy to use website and their customer service is exceptional.

Original review: April 25, 2018

My mom who as dementia moved in with me a few months back. We sold her home and advised the post office to forward her mail to my address. We never, ever received her new 2018 premium payment invoice. I found out when I went to Walgreens to pickup her prescription that she no longer has coverage. I called AARP and they said it was too late and she does not qualify for special circumstances. I am so confused and frustrated on what just happened. They took payment for Jan-Mar of this year, but will not reinstate her policy... That does not make sense. Now she will not have coverage until October and they can say no at that time. Please send advise. They are unfair, heartless and unfeeling at AARP/UHC.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I like their good customer service. Good in-network providers and facilities. Reasonable co-pays. No referrals necessary. Stable list of GPs and specialists. Provide updates quickly. Quick to send out new cards. Leaves me paying large copays for hospitalizations though, $500 per night for the first four nights. If I have a chronic illness, copays can become astronomical. Also, doesn't work in Europe.

Original review: April 23, 2018

I heard about the Program through a family friend of mine and I called and they had great customer service. Everything was pretty easy and just made everything really simple for me. It was great and I liked it a lot. I really like that you can go online and just get almost an answer to every question you need just by the FAQ Page. Also you can get more answers with just calling them really easy. But being on hold was kind of annoying on the phone but they say they were busy that day with callers so I actually understand.

Original review: April 22, 2018

They are an honest and a fair organization to deal with. When I have called, they have responded quickly to my questions. They seem to be genuinely interested in helping you with your problem. They have experienced employees who handle your questions with expertise. Also, they are easy to contact and have good customer service. However, their price could be lower.

Original review: April 21, 2018

AARP is efficient and well organized. They work when you need them to, they do the job good and they do it right. I like and value the coverage I receive. I like the care they show when I rarely speak to them and I value the patience they have with me when I do not understand. My doctor appointments are taken care of and I never have a problem. AARP does exactly what I need and there's nothing I would change except maybe renewal. AARP is an amazing medicare group and I support them all the way.

Original review: April 20, 2018

My experience with AARP Medicare supplement insurance by United Healthcare has been a good one. I don't have to pay a premium for the insurance and my co-pays are low. Also, I appreciate that I don't have a co-pay when I need to see my primary doctor and I don't need to have a referral to see a specialist either. I also like their customer service. They are knowledgeable, helpful and easy to do business with.

Original review: April 19, 2018

Last October I inquired about the different plans available to me. I had been paying $25/mo for a basic plan. I was informed if I go up to $91.10 per month I’d have no deductible (it had been $405/yr) and no cost for prescriptions. Now I find, as I use my insurance for the first time, that the salesman lied and there are costs. The Co-pay is now $37 for the prescription I need.

Under my former plan the Co-pay would have been $31. So I’m paying $700 per year more to save $405 and the monthly drug cost will be $72 more per year. Therefore I’m losing about $375/year. And when I ask to review my account they see my issue but they cannot make changes until next window period. Fraud is ok. Corporate profit on senior citizens is easy. That’s just another United Health Care Plan profit center. And AARP recommends this company to all members based upon making money on the frauds. Just terrible. One last thing when I asked to speak to someone in management I was put on hold and a recording came on which was circular. So they don’t care and there are no people to talk to, to attempt to resolve the customer issue.

Original review: April 19, 2018

The plan I chose provided the benefits I was looking for. It was easy and a pleasant experience to sign up for the coverage online. I liked that I could pay my premiums online, and not be required to have automatic withdrawals from my checking account. All claims were paid within a reasonable time. However I would like to have a lower premium with same benefits.

Original review: April 18, 2018

They are efficient and fast. They serve the customer well and they have never given us any problems at the time of making the cober. They are always attentive to the moment of requesting their help never fail us.

Original review: April 17, 2018

AARP is a great to be part of a membership with and they have long term care and life insurance. Easy to use and I like the resource center for AARP members only. Also, AARP helps protect Medicare and members of AARP with senior with life insurance coverage benefit, they offer online games including discount online and offline. But I would like AARP to change the co payments on drugs and health care.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I agree that the service, or lack thereof has gone through a major decline. AS someone else noted, s/he noted that there had been a major decline in the service and the accuracy of their bills which they have been unable to correct. Have be inaccurate and unable to be corrected. No doubt, they are living on the float. The longer they hold the money, the longer they collect interest. Yes, the interest rate has been low but when you hold millions in the account it does amount to a considerable sum and their expect that no one will make a fuss about 7.95 so for the individual subscriber, it is a bother, but for the company it is a windfall. It does add up does it not?

AND, they clearly do attempt to defraud! Not only have they billed me for a month during which I was not a member, they're doing, due to poor accounting which I thought I had corrected but one hand apparently doesn't know or care what the other hand is doing. It is totally impossible to reach Medicare AARP bookkeeping by phone. I have tried three, maybe four times. Their answering machine goes in circles, transfers you to another answering machine which says it is to the right department and transfers you back to the original machine and then to someone else who transferred you originally. His name is Lance and I spoke to him twice during this merry go round.

But, That is not even my major complaint. The major complaint is that I was dropped from coverage from AARP Drug Rx because I had overlooked a bill. They said I could rejoin at the start of the new enrolment year, January 2018. Then they sent me questionnaire asking who had covered my Rx costs during the 3 months during which I had not been insured by them. Had I enroled in another drug plan, with whom and why was I dropped. I said I had been paying my own costs for the 3 months and that I should not be charged for LED which I translated as Late Enrolment D?

Yesterday, I receive a letter stating that my appeal was rejected and I must pay the penalty. Totally illogical. They dropped me. I did not quit. There is no appeal. And now they expect me to pay a penalty as a result of their decision. Quite a setup. They could look for excuses to drop people, require = them to wait a few months before re-enrolling and then change them a penalty for late enrolment, The more people they drop, the greater their income. This has got to be illegal. To punish members for something about which you, not they have control.

Now as to their overcharge. Was charged for an extra month when I enrolled again in January. I called and explained to the agent or agent/salesman. That I should be charged only for the period beginning January 1, 2018, when they ALLOWED me to re-enroll. He agreed and said he would correct the billing. It was still on the next bill l but thought it might take up to 2 months for corrections to go from one computer to another. In March, I again received an incorrect bill. Now, they have added interest on the overcharge. So many crooked ways to make money. As I said, It is impossible to get through to AARP by phone. I will investigate other insurance companies but if I can't find one, I can pay my own expenses which will be significantly lower if I use Canadian pharmacies and no longer have to pay for a plan and I might possibly be able to deduct these expenses.

It might come out even or maybe not. In any case, I will not be wasting time on the phone and will not be wiped off by THESE crooks. I don't recall if you rate pharmacies. But if you do, I will look to see that you give fair ratings. Many other subscribers appear to think you no longer do. P.S. At one time AARP was in charge of the programs and represented the public. I remember that they were suddenly bought by United Health. This appears to have been the point at which the service went downhill. I wonder if there was another bidder or was this a secret inside deal?

Original review: March 14, 2018

I am very frustrated. For the last week I have been trying to get ** (prescription strength) for mother and I have received two different price quotes - $148.00 at CVS and $98.00 at Walmart, after insurance. WHY??? AARP already takes over $250.00 per month from my mother’s $680 social security check and she is receiving no real help from this so called "insurance company for seniors!" It's more like highway robbery. I need to find her some other prescription drug insurance. This is ridiculous! Any suggestions?

Original review: March 14, 2018

I'm paying for extras that I may need in the future. Still need to use this part of their services and have not had to use them up until now but may need them soon for dental. I will need implants put into my mouth and other products are need in my mouth that I have put off for a long time. Cannot afford to have this done with me right now.

Original review: March 13, 2018

My parents, grandparents and I have had a great experience with AARP so far. They cover a heck of a lot of necessary procedures/appointments that I wouldn't be able to afford otherwise. Moreover, they have wonderful customer service, it is always very easy to get in contact with a representative on the phone, on the internet, and in person. Aside from getting in contact, my issues always seem to get resolved fairly quickly. However, they should have better coverage for people with a much lower income than myself. Extended coverage would be fantastic.

Original review: March 12, 2018

I have been very pleased since I have purchased the AARP Medicare supplement plan. They are very easy to contact if you have any questions or problems and they always pay the bills promptly. Moreover, I like their pricing. It is based on drugs that are in different tiers. If I ever have a question or a concern I can call them or email them and they can go over other options that might be better for me.

Original review: March 11, 2018

Wonderful customer service every single time. I've never had to wait on hold and everyone is very knowledgeable. Also, they are caring and compassionate. If I have any questions the website is easy to navigate. Most of my copays are reasonable low and so are the prescription copays. Moreover, this company offers car rides to people who can't drive or don't have a vehicle. This is a company that I would definitely recommend to my friends and family.

Original review: March 10, 2018

Able to help right away without hassle. But sometimes they do things that aren't even needed, and one calls take a long time to get through to someone. Sometimes people are rude, and don't even know what they are talking about over the phone. Then I'm put on hold for so long, that I have to hang up and call back. I like that they're on time, accurate and fast. At times when a car is needed or roadside assistance, they are there to help, but does take some time. That when I am able to talk to someone who actually knows what they are talking about, my phone calls go much faster, instead of me talking to someone who's just reading a script.

Also, sometimes they're pushy on their decisions, especially on an accident that wasn't caused by yourself. When they tell you that they are going to be there, it usually takes them a long time to come help or they will end up sending a tow truck that has nothing to do with their company, and then I get charged more because the other company charges me. I need a change!

Original review: March 9, 2018

The company has good coverage. It's great that they considered the consumer's needs. The company offers coverage that doesn't leave the consumer at a loss. The company customer service is great as well. I did not know the company was going to treat me this well. They should keep up the good work. I am glad I chose this company.

Original review: March 8, 2018

I like the vision part and the dental is not that bad. But it does cover any cosmetic work I need done, which is very convenient for a lot of my situations and medical concerns I have. And if I have to go to a specialist it has to clear with the insurance company. I just so not like the copays. With this insurance company the copays are little ridiculous. And I would like to just go to any physician I want.

Original review: March 7, 2018

This is a great plan that can't be beat. After announcing they were closing the plant we work in The union and company had an agreement to pick up any extra costs when the company went out of business in 1984 in our city. We pay only $400 apiece for the year out of pocket. My wife has Leukemia and the insurance coverage is great. They are still paying all but $5 of over $18,000 chemotherapy expenses per month for 15 years now.

AARP expert review by Cyril Tuohy

UnitedHealthcare provides AARP branded Medicare supplement insurance. The AARP organization does not act as an insurer. Only members of AARP can enroll in this coverage.

• Free Nurse HealthLine: Those with AARP supplement insurance have complimentary access to Nurse HealthLine for 24-hour a day assistance. Nurses can help consumers decide if they need to schedule a doctor’s appointment or visit the ER and answer questions about both prescription and over-the-counter medication.

• Vision care discounts: Consumers with AARP supplement insurance receive discounts on corrective eyeglasses and contacts as well as discounted eye exams. The discounts are administered by EyeMed.

• Plan selector: Interested consumers can use the online plan selector to help them choose a plan that works best for their situation. When users visit the website and answer basic questions about their healthcare preferences, it shows them which plan most closely matches their needs.

• In-person appointments: Consumers who would rather meet with an insurance agent to discuss their supplement coverage can request an appointment by filling out a form on AARP’s supplement insurance website. After they fill out the form, a licensed agent will contact them.

• Best for: AARP supplement insurance is best for AARP members.

Profile picture of Cyril Tuohy
Cyril Tuohy

Insurance Contributing Editor

Cyril Tuohy, has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

AARP Medicare Supplemental Insurance Company Information