Protect against the unexpected

Does medicare cover all your needs? Learn about supplemental plans.

Select my supplement
AARP Medicare Supplemental Insurance
3.60/5

AARP Medicare Supplemental Insurance

AARP offers roadside assistance through Allstate. AARP members who sign up for roadside assistance can get help 24/7 if they have a flat tire, need their car towed, run out of gas, have a dead car battery or lock their keys in their car. Members are covered in the United States, Puerto Rico and Canada.

Protect against the unexpected

Does medicare cover all your needs? Learn about supplemental plans.

Select my supplement

304 AARP Medicare Supplemental Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I've been enrolled in AARP/United Healthcare PPO for five years now. I've always been happy with services. Any time I call customer service, they are eager to help with correct answer. I've never had a claim denied or even questioned. When I had emergency appendectomy, the bill was over $52,000. My portion was around $1,100, so I was happy to pay. The only small complaint I have is that United Healthcare covered Silver Sneakers when I first joined, and then they dropped coverage. If you want patients to be healthy, why don't you pay for exercise classes? It would save you money in the long run. Overall, it's a great company and I'd give FIVE stars if they included Silver Sneakers.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

I have no complaints so far with AARP United Healthcare (other than raising the monthly price about every 6 months). But I just received a letter saying they will not cover SILVER SNEAKERS anymore and offered 50% off gym price... That's way too expensive. The Silver Sneakers has been the only exercise I get and it's a healthy outlet to be with others to talk to exercise with and be treated nicely at the 24 hour gym. I'm sure going there keeps me healthy but now maybe I won't be so healthy because of AARP United Healthcare in January will no longer pay for it. Maybe I have to change insurance!!!

Get expert buying tips about Medicare Supplemental Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

I've been with AARP, United Healthcare Advantage plan for 2 years. The delivery of service and coverage has been flawless. I've just received my plan update for 2019 which has explanation of a few changes, all are very reasonable. I don't feel the need to consider any other company. 5 star service, they're really great.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

I got this sucky insurance through a lady at Walmart. She talked about how great it was. Well it costs over a $100 and when you need dental surgery so you can have dentures to fit they won't pay. Such a darn rip off. I pray God shuts down your con job insurance company. My curse on you is.. May you lose money 10x more than you are ripping the elderly off for to go broke. Your company and all your lying staff.

Original review: June 26, 2019

I called AARP/United to dis-enroll from the RX plan (mainly because using GOOD RX is such an amazing and valuable service, that the United plan premium no longer made sense) and I was told I could NOT quit the plan unless I fit one of their "scenarios," i.e. moved, deceased, etc. As a result, I stopped payments. The agent actually TOLD me during that call that non-payment would dis-enroll me from the plan! Three months have passed and I just received a collections letter! Just got off the phone with an agent who would not come off the scripted responses, would not listen to what I was explaining, and only repeated again and again that I owed $198.30 on the account. Collections??

You cannot voluntarily quit this plan. You can only stop paying, and this is the result. Absolute rip-off. Consumer beware! DO NOT sign up until you have checked all your prescriptions through Good RX. I wish I had done so. I intend to fight this (BTW, the agent refused to give me the name of any upper management to speak with or write to! Unbelievable!). AARP is a money-maker, not the hearts-and-flowers consumer advocate group they pretend to be.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AARP?

Original review: May 5, 2019

I had some indigestion and other symptoms of a possible heart problem. I called UHC and was told that EKG was not a preventable coverage item and that I would have to pay 20% of EKG, which they estimated to be between $95 and $300+. I also do not use Part D for prescriptions because the co-pay I would have to pay is higher than paying cash through GoodRx and Blink Health. I am 80 years old and I am shocked at the way this insurance company takes care of seniors. I will be checking others when the enrollment period is here.];

Original review: April 30, 2019

AARP UNITED HEALTH CARE Medicare Complete is the worst insurance I have ever had. I started the plan this year. My prescriptions went from about $15-$20 for a month's supply to $100-$200 for a month's supply of almost every medication I take. Some they even refused to cover at all. I have had to get discount coupons to make them less expensive but still overpriced. I have had to purchase from Canada as well. They jerk you around by charging you $15 the first month, then over $100 for the same amount the next month. You spend your time hunting for a decent price or trying to find another med. My doctor has prescribed others with the same result. The prices even for generics are over $100.

This insurance company raised the tiers on all my meds and probably everyone's as my MD has told me many of her patients are having the same trouble as I am. I requested a tier change as did my doctor and they refused. There is nothing I can do to fight it. I cannot cancel this horrible insurance as it is too late. I will NEVER use them again. Do not buy this insurance. You will be sorry.

Original review: April 26, 2019

AARP should be ashamed of themselves for endorsing a company that treats seniors the way this company does. The customer service is beyond terrible. Every time I called I received different information. I needed to cancel my supplemental insurance because I went back to work and received coverage through my job. When I called initially I was told I had up until the end of the month to cancel. When I called at the end of the month to do so I was told I had to pay for an additional month. I said I would pay but to please cancel my insurance. I continued to receive bills.

When I called about them I was told they had no record of me calling to cancel. When I told them the dates of the calls they reviewed the notes and said the notes did not indicate anything about a cancellation. I informed them that their notes were only as good as the customer service reps who wrote them and I had no way of ensuring they were accurate. The company is either too cheap to hire competent customer service reps to assist their clients, or they just do not care. Perhaps they see seniors as an easy mark. I just received a letter that they've sent my "non-payment" to a collection agency. Dealing with all of this is detrimental to my health. I can feel my blood pressure rising as I deal with all of this.

Original review: April 13, 2019

I have leukemia which leaves me prone to clotting. I had a massive pulmonary embolism March 2018. Unfortunately my leukemia was obvious but not diagnosed at the time. I had to diagnose myself January 2019. I have had to take a higher than generally accepted dose of ** for the last year. My last Medicare plan was awful so I switched to the AARP United Healthcare plan. I have had a 2 week battle with them getting my proper dose of ** covered. I talked to a bunch of morons who don't understand that treatment is different when you have leukemia. I unfortunately was so frustrated that I ended up yelling at the morons that you're trying to kill me - which is actually true. Unfortunately I had to deal with these jerks when I'm home ill with leukemia and influenza when I'm on Chemo, which can be a deadly combination. A jerk came in and saw me with the flu knowing that I have leukemia!!

Original review: April 11, 2019

I was told by the representative that nominating my private gym to be part of the health and wellness program that pays half of my gym membership would just be a formality. I have discovered that this is not the case at all. Other members of my well-established 30 year old privately owned gym have been "nominating" our gym for the last 4 months. The owner has also tried to call and do whatever is needed to be recognized in their system. They are part of the Silver Sneakers program, no problems. The department that supposedly determines eligibility is mysteriously unavailable for even the reps to ask what the problem is. Not a good start to our relationship - I will be changing my supplemental insurance as soon as possible.

AARP expert review by Cyril Tuohy

UnitedHealthcare provides AARP branded Medicare supplement insurance. The AARP organization does not act as an insurer. Only members of AARP can enroll in this coverage.

• Free Nurse HealthLine: Those with AARP supplement insurance have complimentary access to Nurse HealthLine for 24-hour a day assistance. Nurses can help consumers decide if they need to schedule a doctor’s appointment or visit the ER and answer questions about both prescription and over-the-counter medication.

• Vision care discounts: Consumers with AARP supplement insurance receive discounts on corrective eyeglasses and contacts as well as discounted eye exams. The discounts are administered by EyeMed.

• Plan selector: Interested consumers can use the online plan selector to help them choose a plan that works best for their situation. When users visit the website and answer basic questions about their healthcare preferences, it shows them which plan most closely matches their needs.

• In-person appointments: Consumers who would rather meet with an insurance agent to discuss their supplement coverage can request an appointment by filling out a form on AARP’s supplement insurance website. After they fill out the form, a licensed agent will contact them.

• Best for: AARP supplement insurance is best for AARP members.

Profile picture of Cyril Tuohy
Cyril Tuohy Insurance Contributing Editor

Cyril Tuohy, has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

AARP Medicare Supplemental Insurance Company Information