Protect against the unexpected

Does medicare cover all your needs? Learn about supplemental plans.

Select my supplement
AARP Medicare Supplemental Insurance
3.66/5

AARP Medicare Supplemental Insurance

AARP offers roadside assistance through Allstate. AARP members who sign up for roadside assistance can get help 24/7 if they have a flat tire, need their car towed, run out of gas, have a dead car battery or lock their keys in their car. Members are covered in the United States, Puerto Rico and Canada.

Protect against the unexpected

Does medicare cover all your needs? Learn about supplemental plans.

Select my supplement

302 AARP Medicare Supplemental Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 18, 2018

They offered great customer service and helped me with all and any questions I had. They explained everything to me and made sure that I did not have any questions. Plus I love that they find out the answer from a supervisor if they did not know it. I would like to have more online options though. Technology is moving so fast and it would be so much better if we could access more items on their website.

Q2: STILL THINKING OF THE SAME COMPANY, WHAT FEATURES DO YOU LIKE ABOUT THE COMPANY? PLEASE INCLUDE AT LEAST 150 CHARACTERS.

A: I love their customer service, their ability to answer all of my questions or the iniciative to go and find out the answer from a supervisor if they did not know it

Q3: STILL THINKING OF THE SAME COMPANY, WHAT FEATURES DO YOU DISLIKE OR WOULD YOU CHANGE ABOUT THE COMPANY? PLEASE INCLUDE AT LEAST 150 CHARACTERS.

A: I would like to have more online options. Technology is moving so fast and it would be so much better is we could access more items online on their web site.

Original review: June 8, 2018

AARP has taken care of me the entire time and I don't think there is another company out there that can compete or even compare with AARP has done for me and my family. There are a lot of features that I love about AARP and what I love the most is that I do not have to always call in for someone to assist me. I can log into my account online and everything I need is right there on the website for me. They are very good to me and if I had the power I would not change a thing about AARP. They are perfect the way that they are. I hope that they always will remain the same and never ever change. Overall my experience with AARP has been amazing.

Get expert buying tips about Medicare Supplemental Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 7, 2018

My AARP Medicare Supplemental plan is one of the best health insurance plans there is. AARP is one of if not the best company when it comes to health insurance because they know how to get the right plan for you. Depending on your situation they can give you a plan that is just for your situation such as a family plan or an individual plan with different and unique features and benefits to accompany each. AARP know how to treat and care for their customers and I have never had one single bit of regret since I joined them. I haven't one single problem at all with them and even if I did, I know I would be able to resolve it quickly with their awesome support team. I'm really glad I found this company when I did or else I might still be getting ripped off from bad deals from other companies.

I like that this company gives you the ability to specifically accommodate the plan to meet your needs. No more having to sweat it out with other companies and hope it can meet your needs. There is no hoping or praying with AARP as it is as professional as it gets when it comes to giving you the right kind of health insurance. AARP has the best features out of any health insurance company. You can set the specific date you want your health insurance plan to be effective, which will allow for it to become active with any included benefits (which is basically every plan). This is one of the features I appreciate the most as it saves me the trouble of having to remember when I should be starting a plan. It is especially helpful if you have more than one plan.

The people that work there know what they're doing to the highest degree. You will likely never come to dislike anything about this company, but hypothetically speaking, if you want to nitpick on something like the number of plans you can have at once or how much money the plan costs, then feel free. The plans are priced at a very affordable cost, but maybe have some more deals to make different plans cheaper or maybe have like a 2-for-1 deal. This would probably entice people even more to get acclimated with AARP and more customers mean more money in the pockets. Once again, this is just a suggestion of how to possibly improve the company.

Original review: June 6, 2018

Good prices on doctor appointments and medication costs. I like that they work with me on the prices of my copays for doctor appointments and my medication costs. They're very good about making sure I have the medications under a certain amount of money so I don't have to worry about coming up with the money. The only complaint is that it takes them a while to respond to my questions and concerns. I have contacted them on numerous occasions when I really needed them to help me understand something or when I needed them to fix a pricing issue either with a copay for the doctor's office or my medications at the pharmacy. I hate that it takes them days at a time to get ahold of me sometimes. I've waited about 2 days at the most for a response on some occasions. Could be better but I'm grateful.

Original review: June 4, 2018

My overall experience with AARP was a great experience and I like AARP for many reasons. I was able to use my Medicaid everywhere. They are low on cost for the things you do have to pay on and help you with a lot when you need them. They have a great a great support team with real people who care. The people really helped me a lot and showed me they really care about me instead of what I can offer. They really take time out for each individual. But if I could change, I would make it where everyone was able to enroll with them no matter what. I would make it where you could experience more benefits where people in need would qualify for and would love. Other than that this company rocks and I would choose them all over again. I have heard many great things about them and so far, it has been proven.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AARP?

Original review: May 5, 2019

I had some indigestion and other symptoms of a possible heart problem. I called UHC and was told that EKG was not a preventable coverage item and that I would have to pay 20% of EKG, which they estimated to be between $95 and $300+. I also do not use Part D for prescriptions because the co-pay I would have to pay is higher than paying cash through GoodRx and Blink Health. I am 80 years old and I am shocked at the way this insurance company takes care of seniors. I will be checking others when the enrollment period is here.];

Original review: April 30, 2019

AARP UNITED HEALTH CARE Medicare Complete is the worst insurance I have ever had. I started the plan this year. My prescriptions went from about $15-$20 for a month's supply to $100-$200 for a month's supply of almost every medication I take. Some they even refused to cover at all. I have had to get discount coupons to make them less expensive but still overpriced. I have had to purchase from Canada as well. They jerk you around by charging you $15 the first month, then over $100 for the same amount the next month. You spend your time hunting for a decent price or trying to find another med. My doctor has prescribed others with the same result. The prices even for generics are over $100.

This insurance company raised the tiers on all my meds and probably everyone's as my MD has told me many of her patients are having the same trouble as I am. I requested a tier change as did my doctor and they refused. There is nothing I can do to fight it. I cannot cancel this horrible insurance as it is too late. I will NEVER use them again. Do not buy this insurance. You will be sorry.

Original review: April 26, 2019

AARP should be ashamed of themselves for endorsing a company that treats seniors the way this company does. The customer service is beyond terrible. Every time I called I received different information. I needed to cancel my supplemental insurance because I went back to work and received coverage through my job. When I called initially I was told I had up until the end of the month to cancel. When I called at the end of the month to do so I was told I had to pay for an additional month. I said I would pay but to please cancel my insurance. I continued to receive bills.

When I called about them I was told they had no record of me calling to cancel. When I told them the dates of the calls they reviewed the notes and said the notes did not indicate anything about a cancellation. I informed them that their notes were only as good as the customer service reps who wrote them and I had no way of ensuring they were accurate. The company is either too cheap to hire competent customer service reps to assist their clients, or they just do not care. Perhaps they see seniors as an easy mark. I just received a letter that they've sent my "non-payment" to a collection agency. Dealing with all of this is detrimental to my health. I can feel my blood pressure rising as I deal with all of this.

Original review: April 13, 2019

I have leukemia which leaves me prone to clotting. I had a massive pulmonary embolism March 2018. Unfortunately my leukemia was obvious but not diagnosed at the time. I had to diagnose myself January 2019. I have had to take a higher than generally accepted dose of ** for the last year. My last Medicare plan was awful so I switched to the AARP United Healthcare plan. I have had a 2 week battle with them getting my proper dose of ** covered. I talked to a bunch of morons who don't understand that treatment is different when you have leukemia. I unfortunately was so frustrated that I ended up yelling at the morons that you're trying to kill me - which is actually true. Unfortunately I had to deal with these jerks when I'm home ill with leukemia and influenza when I'm on Chemo, which can be a deadly combination. A jerk came in and saw me with the flu knowing that I have leukemia!!

Original review: April 11, 2019

I was told by the representative that nominating my private gym to be part of the health and wellness program that pays half of my gym membership would just be a formality. I have discovered that this is not the case at all. Other members of my well-established 30 year old privately owned gym have been "nominating" our gym for the last 4 months. The owner has also tried to call and do whatever is needed to be recognized in their system. They are part of the Silver Sneakers program, no problems. The department that supposedly determines eligibility is mysteriously unavailable for even the reps to ask what the problem is. Not a good start to our relationship - I will be changing my supplemental insurance as soon as possible.

Original review: March 27, 2019

The cancellation of Silver Sneakers membership benefit is absolutely the worst decision ever made for AARP/United Healthcare. The Medicare Supplement policy is very expensive but the Silver Sneakers free membership was a fabulous benefit so we always kept the AARP/United Healthcare Medicare Supplemental policy. The Fitness Center in Florida has so many great classes along with a great gym that we go four or five times a week. The Silver Sneakers allowed us to attend as many classes as we wanted without any cost. I will be changing my supplemental policy soon. If you value any kind of fitness center membership, do not sign up for this policy.

Original review: March 27, 2019

My husband and I joined AARP 4 months ago and I've regretted it since. I had to call them countless times regarding the fact that our membership packet had not arrived. Finally about 8 weeks later it did. I was supposed to receive a sign on gift but after several calls we did not. We were literally blown off. Then I called 2 days ago and a rep answered and I told him I had called 3x already and emailed because I had not been receiving my AARP subscription magazine. The rep said "hold on" and I realized he wasn't coming back to the phone rather transferred without telling me to the switchboard that said they're closed. I cannot believe this, they are a horrible business take your money and blow you off! That's how they treat seniors. We won't be renewing.

Original review: March 16, 2019

I recently forced myself to seek help for bipolar disorder, accompanied by intermittent explosive disorder and PTSD. Seeking help this way was not easy for me to do. The doctor prescribed ** in a graduated dosage. AARP does not cover this basic, tier 1 medicine. So now, I not only don't have what I need to help me, but I actually have yet another problem... Just what I DON'T need. I feel like because I am old and poor that the "system" doesn't think I am worth fixing, or even human, for that matter. So, as far as I am concerned, and because of their obvious lack of concern, AARP has failed monumentally in their stated mission and as fellow human beings. Obviously, to AARP, money is more important than helping people.

Original review: March 2, 2019

I signed up for AARP membership as a condition of obtaining UHC Medicare supplemental insurance. Since signing up, I routinely get mailings indicating I need to renew my membership, even though it has months remaining on it. Each mailing contains dire warnings about the membership lapsing. I think of my elderly parents, and how they would be taken in by this, perhaps paying the membership fee repeatedly and not realizing that it was unnecessary. That combined with the lousy customer service from AARP sent me searching for an alternative. Since I need to keep my UHC insurance, I emailed and asked if AARP membership was necessary AFTER signup. Turns out, it ISN'T. Yes you can have UHC Medicare supplemental insurance and you DON"T HAVE TO BE AN AARP MEMBER. Nowhere will the AARP materials or website tell you this. AARP does not have the best interest of seniors at heart - only its bottom line.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

My wife and I have separate checking accounts and receive our respective S.S. checks deposited in each respective account. I have been enrolled in an AARP/United Healthcare supplement insurance plan for 5 years with premiums being debited monthly via their EFT agreement from my checking. My wife is about to turn 65 and has signed up with UHC. We believed that we could have each of our premiums respectivly deducted from each checking account. But UHC refuses to do this because they say our AARP membership is a joint membership. However, they do agree that they will process, and keep each of our claim info, and history separate, so why can't they bill separately??? Poor policy agreement and customer relations on AARP's support and relations with UHC.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I am 66. I received a flyer from AARP recommending United Health as a Medicare supplement insurance. I had and have a supplemental Insurance with Aetna. However, I was looking for another plan that might eliminate co-pays. I Chose Plan N and called their customer service. Approximately on November 27th, 2018. I asked them to send the application to me and never received one. So, I called on Dec. 24, 2018, and the representative told me he didn’t understand why I hadn’t received it. Then I again called on January 15 2019, I decided to apply over the phone. I answered all questions honestly. I had Cancer in 2011 but was not treated for any Cancer in the previous 3 years (which is a question they ask).

On February 2 I received an email stating my coverage had changed. I did not check it as it was a Friday - I should have. On February 5th (Monday) there was a debit of $422 dollars from me and my partners checking account (he has just turned 65 and decided to obtain the same plan) and he had a monthly payment of $160 dollar and mind was suppose to be $162. When I saw the $427 debit for both of us I thought that included a few months. I called their customer service and they explained that was only for the month of March. I was very upset and asked that they terminate my coverage and refund my money. They would not but would not give me a refund but a credit would be applied to 2 and 1/2 months of my partner’s premium.

Later that week I received in the mail of an explanation of the monthly amount of my monthly coverage: it was to be $267 and this was to be $160. But that was only for March. In the following months the monthly debit would be $588 meaning my premium would be $428 or $5,126 annually. I received yesterday, February, 11, 2019, another letter explaining why now I was only qualified for Level 2. Though I had answered all the questions honestly, the underwriter had investigated my past Cancer in 2011 (which was an open book) and also contacted a company called “Exam One” a subsidiary of Quest diagnostics.

Supposedly they had sent information that not only had I had Cancer but that I had history of COPD, Chronic Bronchitis, Emphysema and that they had received this information from my primary Doctor. This is untrue. I contacted my Doctor and he went through my records and found nothing of that nature listed. He has generously told me to have Exam One contact him and I will. Though you cannot speak to a representative and they will only mail you the information.

I am so disappointed in AARP - I thought they were supposed to help seniors. I will never use, or apply, to any affiliates recommended by them ever again. And as for United Heath, I am reporting them to “Shield”. It is now obvious why they never send me the two applications: I was a high risk and God Forbid I had a relapse and have to pay.

We are in desperate need of Insurance reform and we definitely need a “ one payer” system. So, remember, be careful when you choose your open enrollment at 65 because if you get sick and want to change supplemental care... And shame on AARP. I, and many people trust AARP but if you read the small print, as I did, they get a cut. I am not finished with my investigation and if I could get the name of the underwriter. They explained what the pan covered.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

This insurance has been overcharging us for vision services for the last 3 years, after a year we even got them to issue us a check for part of our appeal (they never process all it, no reason given). The check never arrived. We are going to file an appeal with Medicare and the state. Nobody to talk to.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I switched to the AARP United Healthcare Complete HMO plan Jan. 1, 2019 in Oregon. Their provider list is severely outdated. Every doctor on their list that I have tried to get an appointment with is no longer a provider or not even practicing what they are listed for. You have to have a referral from a primary care doctor for every service other than your primary care provider. I needed cataract surgery, had to have a referral for the eye exam, another referral for the eye surgeon even though the surgeon is part of the office I was referred to for the eye exam, now I will need another referral and prior authorization for the surgery. I have spent hours on the phone with customer service reps. trying to get basic care covered. Takes weeks to get appointments. I would hate to have something serious. Dying is easier than getting medical services approved.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

My premium rose over $30 per month in less than six months with more increases to come. It just keeps going up. When I switched to another insurance carrier, they still withdrew a premium from my bank account. It has been over a month and still no refund. I don't know how anyone affords their product. Customer service obviously is not a priority part of their extreme premiums.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I just switched to this Medicare Advantage plan after several years with a different plan at another company. Now I am told that I cannot rely on (1) my summary of benefits, which tells me I'm covered for a routine eye exam every year, or (2) the "Search for Provider" online which tells me my optometrist is on my plan. They're telling me that my optometrist is not contracted for routine eye exams with United HealthCare, but only for medical diagnoses. How on earth would I know that in advance of making my decision to enroll in this plan? After I enrolled and created my own account, it still shows my optometrist as on the plan and accepting all patients. But NOWHERE does it show that this provider can only provide certain services, and not all vision services listed on my Summary of Benefits. I am now regretting making the change to this plan. What else am I going to find out that they didn't tell me up front?

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

Repeated and extended calls trying to disenroll from Advantage plan. They repeated lied and gave contradictory reasons for repeatedly refusing to approve disenrollment. We were refused until it was past the disenrollment window. We were told to resubmit in January - having to pay for one month, someone else there said 3 months. In January we resubmitted disenrollment and were told we were not eligible to disenroll! They said there was no appeal. I called Medicare and they promptly disenrolled. The further details of what they said to us on each of our many calls appears to be incompetence/poor training but more so expressions of a culture of manipulative, dishonest, predatory, venal ways of doing business.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I have been a member of AARP UNITED HEALTHCARE Part D Medicare plans endorsed by AARP since their inception. Yesterday, 1/3/2019 I went to my pharmacy for ** which has cost $45 as a Tier 3 Brand name. The druggist said that the current copay is $445 and has been changed to the generic formulation. A 1,000% increase for a generic version of ** didn't make sense to either of us. After a lengthy call to United Healthcare we were told that the plan changed December 29, 2018 less than a week before. I received no notice despite them have my phone number, email, and mailing address all of which they have used to contact me in the past. Needless to say I did not obtain the refill.

Upon my arrival at home I called the same and was simply told the change occurred stated and in essence my total drug cost would double to about $9,000 per year and they stated that they informed me. Now what sane person would accept a 1,000% increase in a covered brand name to generic version for a 1,000% increase. They insisted that I was duly informed and that they also moved almost all of my other prescriptions from generic Tiers 2 and 3 to Specialized Generic Tier 4 basically doubling me cost. This is unconscionable. fraudulent unethical and immoral as far as I am concerned having been a member since Part D began.

Luckily, because of Hurricane Florence the enrollment period has been extended allowing me to choose a plan by Mutual of Omaha or BCBS of NC at a huge savings and coverage for all my drugs at half of the total annual costs for a quarter of the premium ($20-$40 as opposed to $82 for AARP). I believe that there are many other plan participants who are going to be greatly surprised when they go to purchase their prescriptions and BAZINGA they discover the huge increase in coverage. I strongly urge all AARP members to abandon United Healthcare and investigate these other providers. I think their savings will be greatly appreciated. LAWRENCE **, NEWPORT, NC AARP member since 1978.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

Seniors are on limited budgets but our supplemental insurance continued to increase. Silver Sneakers classes are the only exercise many of us are able to perform. It helps keep up moving and less likely to have more health issues. Bring back Silver Sneakers!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I am still on hold after 65 minutes! 5 transfers later and still not with the correct department... All I want to do is change my UHC plan from J to F! People do not know their jobs! One transfer should be enough. Completely dissatisfied. Would give no stars if I could.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

We mistakenly thought there would a reasonable level of service with this program since the AARP name is associated with it. What a mistake. It took us hours of phone calls just to get an application. Service went downhill from there. Totally inept staff. AARP should be ashamed to have their name associated with United Healthcare. I called them directly. They didn't care.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

My cost just went up $33.00 and that is another chunk out of my Social Security. My total cost is $365.63 for this supplemental insurance starting Feb/2019. Yikes! What will it be next yr. Does this ever end or are we being priced out?

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I've been enrolled in AARP/United Healthcare PPO for five years now. I've always been happy with services. Any time I call customer service, they are eager to help with correct answer. I've never had a claim denied or even questioned. When I had emergency appendectomy, the bill was over $52,000. My portion was around $1,100, so I was happy to pay. The only small complaint I have is that United Healthcare covered Silver Sneakers when I first joined, and then they dropped coverage. If you want patients to be healthy, why don't you pay for exercise classes? It would save you money in the long run. Overall, it's a great company and I'd give FIVE stars if they included Silver Sneakers.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

I have no complaints so far with AARP United Healthcare (other than raising the monthly price about every 6 months). But I just received a letter saying they will not cover SILVER SNEAKERS anymore and offered 50% off gym price... That's way too expensive. The Silver Sneakers has been the only exercise I get and it's a healthy outlet to be with others to talk to exercise with and be treated nicely at the 24 hour gym. I'm sure going there keeps me healthy but now maybe I won't be so healthy because of AARP United Healthcare in January will no longer pay for it. Maybe I have to change insurance!!!

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

I've been with AARP, United Healthcare Advantage plan for 2 years. The delivery of service and coverage has been flawless. I've just received my plan update for 2019 which has explanation of a few changes, all are very reasonable. I don't feel the need to consider any other company. 5 star service, they're really great.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

AARP/United Healthcare use and define the hospital status of "under observation" to their profit advantage. Here is the detail: 19 days in hospital. 17 days in Skilled Nursing Facility. Rushed to emergency room (Congestive Heart Failure), held in observation for 48 hours. Returned to same room at Skilled Nursing Facility for 18 days. AARP/United Healthcare will not pay the remaining 18 days because of the "observation" status. Medicare paid their portion without any issues. Read the fine print before purchasing any of their policies.

AARP expert review by Cyril Tuohy

UnitedHealthcare provides AARP branded Medicare supplement insurance. The AARP organization does not act as an insurer. Only members of AARP can enroll in this coverage.

• Free Nurse HealthLine: Those with AARP supplement insurance have complimentary access to Nurse HealthLine for 24-hour a day assistance. Nurses can help consumers decide if they need to schedule a doctor’s appointment or visit the ER and answer questions about both prescription and over-the-counter medication.

• Vision care discounts: Consumers with AARP supplement insurance receive discounts on corrective eyeglasses and contacts as well as discounted eye exams. The discounts are administered by EyeMed.

• Plan selector: Interested consumers can use the online plan selector to help them choose a plan that works best for their situation. When users visit the website and answer basic questions about their healthcare preferences, it shows them which plan most closely matches their needs.

• In-person appointments: Consumers who would rather meet with an insurance agent to discuss their supplement coverage can request an appointment by filling out a form on AARP’s supplement insurance website. After they fill out the form, a licensed agent will contact them.

• Best for: AARP supplement insurance is best for AARP members.

Profile picture of Cyril Tuohy
Cyril Tuohy Insurance Contributing Editor

Cyril Tuohy, has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

AARP Medicare Supplemental Insurance Company Information