Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.45/5

AARP offers roadside assistance through Allstate. AARP members who sign up for roadside assistance can get help 24/7 if they have a flat tire, need their car towed, run out of gas, have a dead car battery or lock their keys in their car. Members are covered in the United States, Puerto Rico and Canada.

AARP Medicare Supplemental Insurance Reviews

Original review: Sept. 28, 2019

Between Medicare and AARP Healthcare Suppliment “F. Thank you Last April I joined my daughter on a trip from Arizona to Oregon. On the way my legs swelled up as well as my waist. My pants did not fit. Easter 2019 I first was taken to Urgent Care, to find out I had a blood clot in my lung and A-fip on my heart and few days later I was in the hospital for a week. No bills as of now. No harassment. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

Very good. Customer service is friendly, helpful and generally competent. I was transferred at least 5 times on one problem before reaching the correct person to help me. And of course they have the dreaded phone tree one must climb to get to a human being. I hated having to change insurance and relearn everything, I had problems here settling in, but no worse than expected.

Get expert buying tips about Medicare Supplemental Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

They cover everything and premium is excellent compared to husband's BCBS. In fact premium decreased this year which is unheard of. Also their RX plan now covers my many prescriptions at no cost to me other than the monthly premium. As everyone else, I want reasonable insurance costs along with excellent coverage.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

I have used my insurance this year for a trip to the emergency room for my wrist with follow up visits to an orthopedic surgeon, dermatology procedures, and shoulder surgery (superior capsular reconstruction) with physical therapy. I have paid ZERO out of pocket for all of this. I anticipate more dermatology procedures and possibly surgery on the other shoulder. I am so pleased that I have this supplemental coverage. It has been an easy journey too, with no hassles regarding claims.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

I have been a member of AARP United Healthcare Medicare Complete for 1.5 years and am extremely satisfied with the assistance from Customer Service. There have been a number of issues:

1. An Eye Care provider balance billing me, this was rectified while I was on the phone with them and a revised invoice sent.

2. A pharmacy billing UHC for a prescription I was not given, this was reversed while I was on the phone.

3. Again balance billed for a CT scan at in an in-network provider. I spoke with Judy on Sunday (Monday was a holiday) and she said she would make a note and call them on Tuesday. She called me back on Tuesday morning and said the matter had been rectified and the provider would send me a revised invoice for co-pay only.

I would strongly advise all UHC Medicare Complete members to check their monthly UHC statements carefully for claims, and not to pay any invoices until they have been cross checked against the UHC statements or with a CSR.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AARP?

Original review: March 23, 2020

DO not take out healthcare supplement insurance from this company unless you enjoy getting the run around...One of their so called CS reps actually yawned in my ear when I was trying to speak to her about my Mother's claim. My mother was in hospital for 4 days and she actually passed away on the 4th day. In settling her affairs one thing I had to do was file a claim for the days she was in hospital with AARP. It pays $30 a day for the plan she had faithfully paid for 11 yrs! I sent in the claim forms I told them in my letter to make the check payable to me her representative there was to be no probate we had settled all her affairs over the past years so not to have probate. They sent out checks to an address that my sister had lived at but no longer lived at for over a year. And the checks were made to the Estate of.

Not only did they NOT read the letter I had included with my claim form, they completely disregarded the instructions we had given them by phone. If an attentive real estate agent had not forwarded these checks given to her by the lady who bought my sister's house, we would never have known. So I called again and they sent me a form called Last Debt form to be filled in, mailed back and the checks would be resent to my name so we can deposit them in my Mom's account to help settle her last affairs. BUT not checks came. Now it is February my mom passed in NOV 2019. I call again, they don't know why the checks were not reissued...etc. So they send yet again a Last Debt form it takes 10 days to arrive. I fill in and fax on Feb 24th. It is now March 23, nothing!

So I call again today...The first agent I spoke to told me the check was reissued and sent to the (WRONG ADDRESS) again. Then I insisted to speak to someone else. She tells me no the checks were reissued to My name and mailed to my address 10 days ago...so why have I not received these checks...I can drive to GA in 5 hrs yet it takes this long for 2 checks to arrive? Do not waste your money go with a company who listens to the customers who money they are operating on!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

Have been with AARP for many years with no problems, until - When moving out of State last year, we notified AARP with new contact info, and requested our insurance be transferred in total. We were told it would be done as requested. When picking up a prescription this weekend, I was told we had no Rx insurance, as the Bin # given had been cancelled - on or about the date of our move. Calling AARP today revealed that in addition to notifying AARP of the move, we should have also notified United Healthcare Rx of the move, which is contrary of my earlier conversation last year. Bottom line, I am out of luck and will have no prescription coverage until I can seek new coverage during Open Season. As our financial exposure is at risk, such coverage will of course, not be with AARP.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

Very bad after 3 days and 3 hours with different answers from everyone I spoke with that my syringes are covered but the copay is about 40% more than the across the counter cost. This is after talking to three other people before talking to a supervisor for almost 30 more minutes. VERY bad customer service.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

I didn’t get the right information about a insulin price TRESIBA. They told me that the price was $142.00 For 90 days supply but no one told me that I have a deductible to meet. They just want to sell me. So the price is over $600.00. So a feel like you ripped me off, I might have to go to social media to explain so some other people. Don’t get ripped off.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

This is the worse possible insurance company for seniors. This company pays for nothing. They expect seniors who are retired on a limited income to pay for large in office copays, treatments, services such as X-rays, Ultrasounds, blood tests. They are awful. To make matters worse, their Customer Service is filled with inept workers who know nothing and have no power or authority to help you. Please run from this company. Do not sign up. You are better off with another insurance company. In the end if you need help they will turn their back on you with no mercy!

AARP expert review by Cyril Tuohy

UnitedHealthcare provides AARP branded Medicare supplement insurance. The AARP organization does not act as an insurer. Only members of AARP can enroll in this coverage.

• Free Nurse HealthLine: Those with AARP supplement insurance have complimentary access to Nurse HealthLine for 24-hour a day assistance. Nurses can help consumers decide if they need to schedule a doctor’s appointment or visit the ER and answer questions about both prescription and over-the-counter medication.

• Vision care discounts: Consumers with AARP supplement insurance receive discounts on corrective eyeglasses and contacts as well as discounted eye exams. The discounts are administered by EyeMed.

• Plan selector: Interested consumers can use the online plan selector to help them choose a plan that works best for their situation. When users visit the website and answer basic questions about their healthcare preferences, it shows them which plan most closely matches their needs.

• In-person appointments: Consumers who would rather meet with an insurance agent to discuss their supplement coverage can request an appointment by filling out a form on AARP’s supplement insurance website. After they fill out the form, a licensed agent will contact them.

• Best for: AARP supplement insurance is best for AARP members.

by Cyril Tuohy Insurance Contributing Editor

Cyril Tuohy, has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

AARP Medicare Supplemental Insurance Company Information