AARP Medicare Supplemental Insurance

AARP Medicare Supplemental Insurance
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.87/5

AARP offers roadside assistance through Allstate. AARP members who sign up for roadside assistance can get help 24/7 if they have a flat tire, need their car towed, run out of gas, have a dead car battery or lock their keys in their car. Members are covered in the United States, Puerto Rico and Canada.

Compare Medicare plans and pricing

Shop plans on Medicare.net

Get Started

Compare Medicare plans and pricing

Shop plans on Medicare.net

Get Started

AARP Medicare Supplemental Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AARP Medicare Supplemental Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about AARP?

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

Steer clear of AARP Medicare UnitedHealthcare as they do not provide anything close to what they claim. Many false narratives regarding coverage but when you submit a claim they always deny processing. Many hidden rules and statements to get out of paying claims. Customer service is horrible. Calling for help is useless as they rarely know the answer to any questions and are unable to fix problems. Made the mistake of joining this year for the first time. As soon as open enrollment starts I am canceling this supplement. Don't get fooled in thinking they are going to support their clients!!!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

The reps are all very nice but you pretty much can't get anything done. They have an automatic survey you can opt into but, when you do, it only allows a review about 20% of the time. An estimated 90% of the time you're just disconnected.

Get buying tips about Medicare Supplemental Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 22, 2020

I enrolled in AARP Medicare Advantage February, 2020. I had prior coverage with my husbands company from 2011-2020 and United Health Care sent me a notice saying I was charged a late penalty fee for not having coverage. Medicare shows in their website I had coverage all along. United Health care sent a form for my husband (who retired January 3, 2020) to take to his employer to fill out stating I had coverage. After 2 long phone calls to United health care and the forms filled out and mail to them, they could not find the form. Nobody in customer service know the left hand from the right. They sent a bill for $120.00 for late penalty and I am tired of dealing with it so I paid it. When enrollment comes we will look for a better plan, meds have gone out of site for people on Social Security.

Original review: April 8, 2020

AARP United Healthcare Medicare Supplemental Plan. The UHC plan has totally failed me in the Covid-19 crisis. My care was "decent" when I lived in Northern California. I had access to good PCPs and specialists when I needed them. Now, in New Mexico, the system has failed me. They contract with the lowest-cost, worst medical providers. I'd call them incompetent. In the last three days I've spent over 10 hours trying to get prescriptions refilled. My PCP won't respond, the Amwell telemedicine doctors refused to help me, and a local urgent care clinic that takes my plan similarly was useless.

In good times UHC's customer service is awful. The reps are uniformed and usually can't help with any problems. No doubt UHC, as a profit-grubbing company, hires people with no training or basic common sense for $8 an hour for their call centers. When I've raised concerns and complaints through their messaging system, I get useless, boilerplate responses or a notice of escalation to a higher layer of management. Nothing has ever come of it. I'm dumping them for Humana at the end of the month.

Original review: March 23, 2020

DO not take out healthcare supplement insurance from this company unless you enjoy getting the run around...One of their so called CS reps actually yawned in my ear when I was trying to speak to her about my Mother's claim. My mother was in hospital for 4 days and she actually passed away on the 4th day. In settling her affairs one thing I had to do was file a claim for the days she was in hospital with AARP. It pays $30 a day for the plan she had faithfully paid for 11 yrs! I sent in the claim forms I told them in my letter to make the check payable to me her representative there was to be no probate we had settled all her affairs over the past years so not to have probate. They sent out checks to an address that my sister had lived at but no longer lived at for over a year. And the checks were made to the Estate of.

Not only did they NOT read the letter I had included with my claim form, they completely disregarded the instructions we had given them by phone. If an attentive real estate agent had not forwarded these checks given to her by the lady who bought my sister's house, we would never have known. So I called again and they sent me a form called Last Debt form to be filled in, mailed back and the checks would be resent to my name so we can deposit them in my Mom's account to help settle her last affairs. BUT not checks came. Now it is February my mom passed in NOV 2019. I call again, they don't know why the checks were not reissued...etc. So they send yet again a Last Debt form it takes 10 days to arrive. I fill in and fax on Feb 24th. It is now March 23, nothing!

So I call again today...The first agent I spoke to told me the check was reissued and sent to the (WRONG ADDRESS) again. Then I insisted to speak to someone else. She tells me no the checks were reissued to My name and mailed to my address 10 days ago...so why have I not received these checks...I can drive to GA in 5 hrs yet it takes this long for 2 checks to arrive? Do not waste your money go with a company who listens to the customers who money they are operating on!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

Have been with AARP for many years with no problems, until - When moving out of State last year, we notified AARP with new contact info, and requested our insurance be transferred in total. We were told it would be done as requested. When picking up a prescription this weekend, I was told we had no Rx insurance, as the Bin # given had been cancelled - on or about the date of our move. Calling AARP today revealed that in addition to notifying AARP of the move, we should have also notified United Healthcare Rx of the move, which is contrary of my earlier conversation last year. Bottom line, I am out of luck and will have no prescription coverage until I can seek new coverage during Open Season. As our financial exposure is at risk, such coverage will of course, not be with AARP.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

Very bad after 3 days and 3 hours with different answers from everyone I spoke with that my syringes are covered but the copay is about 40% more than the across the counter cost. This is after talking to three other people before talking to a supervisor for almost 30 more minutes. VERY bad customer service.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

I didn’t get the right information about a insulin price TRESIBA. They told me that the price was $142.00 For 90 days supply but no one told me that I have a deductible to meet. They just want to sell me. So the price is over $600.00. So a feel like you ripped me off, I might have to go to social media to explain so some other people. Don’t get ripped off.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

This is the worse possible insurance company for seniors. This company pays for nothing. They expect seniors who are retired on a limited income to pay for large in office copays, treatments, services such as X-rays, Ultrasounds, blood tests. They are awful. To make matters worse, their Customer Service is filled with inept workers who know nothing and have no power or authority to help you. Please run from this company. Do not sign up. You are better off with another insurance company. In the end if you need help they will turn their back on you with no mercy!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

I was billed for 2 extra months Jan. and Feb. After I canceled during open enrollment for a different policy. They would not reimburse me for the 2 months. I tried several times to get the money. The policy didn't cover much for what it cost plus you needed an extra drug plan – more money out of pocket.

AARP author review by Cyril Tuohy

UnitedHealthcare provides AARP branded Medicare supplement insurance. The AARP organization does not act as an insurer. Only members of AARP can enroll in this coverage.

• Free Nurse HealthLine: Those with AARP supplement insurance have complimentary access to Nurse HealthLine for 24-hour a day assistance. Nurses can help consumers decide if they need to schedule a doctor’s appointment or visit the ER and answer questions about both prescription and over-the-counter medication.

• Vision care discounts: Consumers with AARP supplement insurance receive discounts on corrective eyeglasses and contacts as well as discounted eye exams. The discounts are administered by EyeMed.

• Plan selector: Interested consumers can use the online plan selector to help them choose a plan that works best for their situation. When users visit the website and answer basic questions about their healthcare preferences, it shows them which plan most closely matches their needs.

• In-person appointments: Consumers who would rather meet with an insurance agent to discuss their supplement coverage can request an appointment by filling out a form on AARP’s supplement insurance website. After they fill out the form, a licensed agent will contact them.

by Cyril Tuohy Insurance Contributing Editor

Cyril Tuohy, has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

AARP Medicare Supplemental Insurance Company Information