3.98/5

AARP Medicare Supplemental Insurance

AARP offers roadside assistance through Allstate. AARP members who sign up for roadside assistance can get help 24/7 if they have a flat tire, need their car towed, run out of gas, have a dead car battery or lock their keys in their car. Members are covered in the United States, Puerto Rico and Canada.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

281 AARP Medicare Supplemental Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I've been enrolled in AARP/United Healthcare PPO for five years now. I've always been happy with services. Any time I call customer service, they are eager to help with correct answer. I've never had a claim denied or even questioned. When I had emergency appendectomy, the bill was over $52,000. My portion was around $1,100, so I was happy to pay. The only small complaint I have is that United Healthcare covered Silver Sneakers when I first joined, and then they dropped coverage. If you want patients to be healthy, why don't you pay for exercise classes? It would save you money in the long run. Overall, it's a great company and I'd give FIVE stars if they included Silver Sneakers.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

I have no complaints so far with AARP United Healthcare (other than raising the monthly price about every 6 months). But I just received a letter saying they will not cover SILVER SNEAKERS anymore and offered 50% off gym price... That's way too expensive. The Silver Sneakers has been the only exercise I get and it's a healthy outlet to be with others to talk to exercise with and be treated nicely at the 24 hour gym. I'm sure going there keeps me healthy but now maybe I won't be so healthy because of AARP United Healthcare in January will no longer pay for it. Maybe I have to change insurance!!!

Get expert buying tips about Medicare Supplemental Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

I've been with AARP, United Healthcare Advantage plan for 2 years. The delivery of service and coverage has been flawless. I've just received my plan update for 2019 which has explanation of a few changes, all are very reasonable. I don't feel the need to consider any other company. 5 star service, they're really great.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

AARP/United Healthcare use and define the hospital status of "under observation" to their profit advantage. Here is the detail: 19 days in hospital. 17 days in Skilled Nursing Facility. Rushed to emergency room (Congestive Heart Failure), held in observation for 48 hours. Returned to same room at Skilled Nursing Facility for 18 days. AARP/United Healthcare will not pay the remaining 18 days because of the "observation" status. Medicare paid their portion without any issues. Read the fine print before purchasing any of their policies.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

What they won't tell you, but you'll learn soon enough is that the price of this coverage goes up every year to a total of $200/month. It may seem like a good deal at the beginning, but you'll end up paying for it in the end. This was NOT mentioned in the original contract.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AARP?

Original review: June 25, 2018

I like many things about AARP. Although AARP doesn't always provide as much help as is needed, they have provided a lot of help with various medications, prescriptions and many other medical issues that have been needed over the years especially as I have gotten older. I have had a very good experience so far and am happy with my experience with them.

Original review: June 25, 2018

AARP is a great company. They offer great coverage for many things like hospital stays and visits, yearly checkups and examines even teeth cleanings. In addition, they offer a great app to remind you of appointments for doctors visits. I get reminded to take my meds daily or when needed at the moment. But even though I love everything about AARP I would like if they offer more free wellness programs to let consumers know what their company is doing new yearly.

Original review: June 24, 2018

My Insurance covers Hospital, Doctors, Prescriptions, Eye Glasses and Basic Dental Care, for only $45 a month, with very reasonable co-pays and out of pocket money I have to pay. I have been very pleased with United Healthcare, the website is easy to navigate, customer service is excellent, when had cancer they covered much more of the costs than I had expected.

Original review: June 23, 2018

It is easy to enroll and their customer service reps were excellent and well informed about their plans. Claims handled very promptly and I could see any doctor and not stuck in a network. However, their premiums seem higher priced compared to competitors. But other than that, I like their Nurse on call health lines to discuss general health care issues. I also like the free gym membership from silver sneakers and the good quarterly health publication from AARP with excellent health tips. They are a compassionate provider that cares.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I have had AARP since I first started on Medicare. At that time they gave a big discount off the initial price. Every year since then a 5-10 percent discount has still been given till it totally ends in a year or two. To date I have had two operations, six hospital visits, numerous specialists, hospital procedures and blood tests. The only charge I ever had was one blood test. Medicare would not pay for a charge of 93.00. However, it would be nice if I could pay less and I can go to any dr, specialist, hospital, lab anywhere in country.

Original review: June 20, 2018

My experience with AARP has been great. My family recommended this company to me and I am glad they did. Even though I would like to change the price, I love that AARP covers and meets all my needs. I never have to worry about my coverage with this insurance and I like that I don't need to pay high copays. I trust the company and would recommend it to someone else.

Original review: June 19, 2018

My whole experience with AARP was enjoyable and interesting. It will be one I always will remember. Friendliness was at the top of my list of favorites. While making it more efficient and easier to use would be an improvement, if asked I would do it again.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I am happy that I have an insurance that seems to care about me and wants the best they can offer. They are very dependable and have great doctors when I need help. I have the doctors I need and do not have to seek too much information when I have to go to a consult or I need a surgery. Also, they have good customer service when I have questions. The online chat is very helpful and I can contact someone when I need to. Plus, the rates are reasonable.

Original review: June 18, 2018

The company is a great company for medical insurance. The insurance has never let me down and it always there to help. They pay all hospital bills and I have been with company for a long time and I never had any problem. I love this company.

Original review: June 18, 2018

They offered great customer service and helped me with all and any questions I had. They explained everything to me and made sure that I did not have any questions. Plus I love that they find out the answer from a supervisor if they did not know it. I would like to have more online options though. Technology is moving so fast and it would be so much better if we could access more items on their website.

Q2: STILL THINKING OF THE SAME COMPANY, WHAT FEATURES DO YOU LIKE ABOUT THE COMPANY? PLEASE INCLUDE AT LEAST 150 CHARACTERS.

A: I love their customer service, their ability to answer all of my questions or the iniciative to go and find out the answer from a supervisor if they did not know it

Q3: STILL THINKING OF THE SAME COMPANY, WHAT FEATURES DO YOU DISLIKE OR WOULD YOU CHANGE ABOUT THE COMPANY? PLEASE INCLUDE AT LEAST 150 CHARACTERS.

A: I would like to have more online options. Technology is moving so fast and it would be so much better is we could access more items online on their web site.

Original review: June 18, 2018

This company really puts in a lot of effort and interest in your personal situation. They make everything very clear and they make it known that they are here to help and make things easier. They have a genuine care for you, they let you know the range of options I have and what they think would be best suited for me. Everything they offer is reasonable. AARP should offer more types of discounts for recurring customers to show that they appreciate loyalty.

Original review: June 18, 2018

AARP is always there. They have a 24-hour call center. I save money on dining, movies etc. and never a problem. It is the best. I will never switch.

Original review: June 17, 2018

I am new to Medicare and I trust AARP. It was the best plan for my needs and it was easy to sign up. I am pleased with what I know about it and what I have used with it so far. The services are available and I can keep my own Doctor. I will be covered for everything I need at a percentage of what I owe but I hope they cover more of it. Also, I wish to be able to go to any facility or doctor and have AARP pay my deductible and drug coverage fully.

Original review: June 17, 2018

It would take a lot for me to switch or leave them. We really love the silver program for seniors and the reps are great, very informative. I and my husband love all the features programs and extras that are offered. We use the health tracker app a lot and we also love the local restaurant discounts. The best. They're great.

Original review: June 16, 2018

It was an easy buying process and I really like the coverage I receive from AARP Medicare Supplemental Insurance. It helps me cover extra expenses and control my medical costs. I also like that they have a fairly priced, good value insurance product. It is a great tool to have.

Original review: June 16, 2018

It is really good to have the company for the Medicare Supplemental Insurance. It is really helpful to have such one to be in need of them. They are charging less and continue good. I will continue to renew to the same company in future.

Original review: June 16, 2018

Very good at all times. We are trying to get to the kidney stones. Are you going to the kidney disease that I have been working with you and I am going to the right thing for me and my family is doing the right now and then. The only thing that I have to do with the same thing for me text Nate and I have gotten the same thing as well as the first time since the beginning of next week and a half hour.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I have had the best experience with AARP. I have been with them for many years and plan to continue to do so. They provide the best coverage for me and always helps me if I have an issue with my policy. I like that they have a wide variety of doctors to choose from. And I don't have to wait very long to book an appointment to see my doctor. They also have a 24 hour hotline in case I have any questions or issues. Also I can add a spouse or my children to my plan as well so they are covered as much as I am.

Original review: June 15, 2018

My experience was quite mediocre but it fulfilled my needs. There were some bumps along the way that I believe could've been handled much better, however it was eventually resolved. The shipping of their product takes too long along with fixing mix ups cause a great deal of stress. Even so, reaching a customer service representative wasn't too difficult, which made my experience much better. The company seemed to want to help in any way it could with my stressful experience with them.

Original review: June 14, 2018

It was a good experience in that the monthly premium covered everything. I never had to pay deductibles, co pays or charges for necessary medical equipment. I also like that the monthly premium was debited to my checking account. AARP Medicare Supplemental Insurance covered all my doctors, specialists and my yearly CT scans. However, I disliked having to pay $241.60 every month and the plan doesn't even cover prescriptions!

Original review: June 14, 2018

AARP is easy to work with. The process is very professional. They provide information that is clear and understandable. It is convenient to use their website. I like that they have representatives who can help and answer all of your questions. They are knowledgeable and make purchasing insurance less stressful.

Original review: June 14, 2018

AARP Medicare helps me pay medical bills and a small amount on my prescribed medicine. They offer easy pay or direct billing. I do not have to pay all of my medical bills just a deposit. But the cost of the insurance is not very good, high rates, and the phone representatives don't understand the policies. Example, they are supposed to pay for prescriptions but would not pay because it was more than a week's supply. They said it was illegal to get more than a week's worth and yet I've been getting a month's supply for 3 years. I was to be reenvirised and NEVER compensated.

Original review: June 13, 2018

They have been very useful and very helpful for my medical and pharmaceutical needs. I was able to save a lot of money on my medicare supplement with my medications and my health services that I needed and that this would be a supplement I would recommend to others. AARP is very prompt and quick to providing a response to my needs. I also like that the supplement doesn't cost me too much money and they are able to provide good service and benefits to my medical needs.

Original review: June 12, 2018

AARP is a great help for insurance holders. I get lots of help from them and I just love it every time I want it. There's no need to pay quickly monthly payments and they have easy access and easy payment methods.

Original review: June 11, 2018

AARP is great to me and my husband. They are very patient and kind. They are knowledgeable and know it alls. They also send me my mail on time or any notices that I must know about come right to me at the right time. They are great when I call them as they are very helpful and always willing to answer any question. I like their app and website. I can get tons of information I need and want on there. I even get a free donut every morning with my coffee. They help me with other resources that I may need at my age. They are so nice at the call center and cares about your needs and not just rushing you off the phone. I appreciate them so much.

AARP expert review by Cyril Tuohy

UnitedHealthcare provides AARP branded Medicare supplement insurance. The AARP organization does not act as an insurer. Only members of AARP can enroll in this coverage.

• Free Nurse HealthLine: Those with AARP supplement insurance have complimentary access to Nurse HealthLine for 24-hour a day assistance. Nurses can help consumers decide if they need to schedule a doctor’s appointment or visit the ER and answer questions about both prescription and over-the-counter medication.

• Vision care discounts: Consumers with AARP supplement insurance receive discounts on corrective eyeglasses and contacts as well as discounted eye exams. The discounts are administered by EyeMed.

• Plan selector: Interested consumers can use the online plan selector to help them choose a plan that works best for their situation. When users visit the website and answer basic questions about their healthcare preferences, it shows them which plan most closely matches their needs.

• In-person appointments: Consumers who would rather meet with an insurance agent to discuss their supplement coverage can request an appointment by filling out a form on AARP’s supplement insurance website. After they fill out the form, a licensed agent will contact them.

• Best for: AARP supplement insurance is best for AARP members.

Profile picture of Cyril Tuohy
Cyril Tuohy Insurance Contributing Editor

Cyril Tuohy, has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

AARP Medicare Supplemental Insurance Company Information