Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.98/5

AARP is a well-known company that offers supplemental health insurance for senior citizens looking to fill gaps in their Medicare coverage. The company offers eight Medicare plans through United Healthcare. This supplemental health coverage is available only to AARP members.

Compare Medicare plans and pricing

Shop plans on Medicare.net

Get Started

Compare Medicare plans and pricing

Shop plans on Medicare.net

Get Started

AARP Medicare Supplemental Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AARP Medicare Supplemental Insurance?

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

First off I must mention that no plan specific benefit material was mailed to me, just a simple explanation of what was covered, no help on how to actually use it or providers or pre-authorization requirements, nothing. Everything is supposed to be available on their website (NOT). I am a new member with over 20 years experience working with computers and apps. Their website is AWFUL! I have to sign in every time I choose a link, then there is no useful information anyway. I am told to contact customer service but after many calls and many "service" reps I realize that their reps are not trained on anything except inflicting customer frustration. The phone lines are so bad that you can barely understand anything on top of the English being spoken in a thick accent that also can be barely understood even if the phone lines were clear.

I asked for a supervisor once and got a horrid lady who was very condescending and wouldn't answer the questions I asked, simply redirected to answers I didn't need. I cannot begin to explain how I hate this company already. I will be looking at changing immediately. You just can't get any information no matter how hard you try.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2020

I was looking to schedule a surgery, only to find out that the Doctor was listed in-network but the hospital was not, so I would have to cover an extreme amount in order to have the surgery. I was calling for help & had the first person on the phone promise to send info that was never sent. The 2nd sent me the plan material book for 2021. The next took my number in case of a disconnection, & never called me back. The next tried to help me fix it without showing me the problem was the limitations on the physicians for the 2 hospitals that they allowed. I finally talked one man through it on how to look it all up, because he did not know what to do.

At this point I realized that I would never do this again. I do not rate this company anything more than a 1. They might show 43 Doctors available. But in the end the choices are really no more than a few. My primary care physician does not support the few that I was given in the end. Very deceitful in the advertising & extremely poor quality help available by phone. In the end I asked for help to use the 1 Doctor who was in their plan, but out of their plan to preform the surgery, & I was told, "Mam we don’t recommend that." What a horrible experience I just endured. I have not yet had the surgery. But it clearly looks as though they will offer “No Help” to accomplish this problem. I would tell everyone, do not waste your time or money on this insurance. Respectfully yours, Kathy **.

Get buying tips about Medicare Supplemental Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2020

AARP Medicare Rx. Pure unadulterated highway robbery. 2021 price increase:

** + 30%
    ** + 17%
    ** from $0 to $20

** +17%

Obviously, all my pension benefits, employers and SS, stay the same. Does anybody care?

Original review: Oct. 31, 2020

This company searches for any loophole to deny coverage. A large portion of a tooth broke off and the dentist said a crown was needed. The denial states "Your records must show large, active decay, fractured off portion of your tooth, or defective filling." They interpret the 'or' as though it is an 'and' in order to deny. Do not use this company.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

Steer clear of AARP Medicare UnitedHealthcare as they do not provide anything close to what they claim. Many false narratives regarding coverage but when you submit a claim they always deny processing. Many hidden rules and statements to get out of paying claims. Customer service is horrible. Calling for help is useless as they rarely know the answer to any questions and are unable to fix problems. Made the mistake of joining this year for the first time. As soon as open enrollment starts I am canceling this supplement. Don't get fooled in thinking they are going to support their clients!!!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

The reps are all very nice but you pretty much can't get anything done. They have an automatic survey you can opt into but, when you do, it only allows a review about 20% of the time. An estimated 90% of the time you're just disconnected.

Original review: June 22, 2020

I enrolled in AARP Medicare Advantage February, 2020. I had prior coverage with my husbands company from 2011-2020 and United Health Care sent me a notice saying I was charged a late penalty fee for not having coverage. Medicare shows in their website I had coverage all along. United Health care sent a form for my husband (who retired January 3, 2020) to take to his employer to fill out stating I had coverage. After 2 long phone calls to United health care and the forms filled out and mail to them, they could not find the form. Nobody in customer service know the left hand from the right. They sent a bill for $120.00 for late penalty and I am tired of dealing with it so I paid it. When enrollment comes we will look for a better plan, meds have gone out of site for people on Social Security.

Original review: April 8, 2020

AARP United Healthcare Medicare Supplemental Plan. The UHC plan has totally failed me in the Covid-19 crisis. My care was "decent" when I lived in Northern California. I had access to good PCPs and specialists when I needed them. Now, in New Mexico, the system has failed me. They contract with the lowest-cost, worst medical providers. I'd call them incompetent. In the last three days I've spent over 10 hours trying to get prescriptions refilled. My PCP won't respond, the Amwell telemedicine doctors refused to help me, and a local urgent care clinic that takes my plan similarly was useless.

In good times UHC's customer service is awful. The reps are uniformed and usually can't help with any problems. No doubt UHC, as a profit-grubbing company, hires people with no training or basic common sense for $8 an hour for their call centers. When I've raised concerns and complaints through their messaging system, I get useless, boilerplate responses or a notice of escalation to a higher layer of management. Nothing has ever come of it. I'm dumping them for Humana at the end of the month.

Original review: March 23, 2020

DO not take out healthcare supplement insurance from this company unless you enjoy getting the run around...One of their so called CS reps actually yawned in my ear when I was trying to speak to her about my Mother's claim. My mother was in hospital for 4 days and she actually passed away on the 4th day. In settling her affairs one thing I had to do was file a claim for the days she was in hospital with AARP. It pays $30 a day for the plan she had faithfully paid for 11 yrs! I sent in the claim forms I told them in my letter to make the check payable to me her representative there was to be no probate we had settled all her affairs over the past years so not to have probate. They sent out checks to an address that my sister had lived at but no longer lived at for over a year. And the checks were made to the Estate of.

Not only did they NOT read the letter I had included with my claim form, they completely disregarded the instructions we had given them by phone. If an attentive real estate agent had not forwarded these checks given to her by the lady who bought my sister's house, we would never have known. So I called again and they sent me a form called Last Debt form to be filled in, mailed back and the checks would be resent to my name so we can deposit them in my Mom's account to help settle her last affairs. BUT not checks came. Now it is February my mom passed in NOV 2019. I call again, they don't know why the checks were not reissued...etc. So they send yet again a Last Debt form it takes 10 days to arrive. I fill in and fax on Feb 24th. It is now March 23, nothing!

So I call again today...The first agent I spoke to told me the check was reissued and sent to the (WRONG ADDRESS) again. Then I insisted to speak to someone else. She tells me no the checks were reissued to My name and mailed to my address 10 days ago...so why have I not received these checks...I can drive to GA in 5 hrs yet it takes this long for 2 checks to arrive? Do not waste your money go with a company who listens to the customers who money they are operating on!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

Have been with AARP for many years with no problems, until - When moving out of State last year, we notified AARP with new contact info, and requested our insurance be transferred in total. We were told it would be done as requested. When picking up a prescription this weekend, I was told we had no Rx insurance, as the Bin # given had been cancelled - on or about the date of our move. Calling AARP today revealed that in addition to notifying AARP of the move, we should have also notified United Healthcare Rx of the move, which is contrary of my earlier conversation last year. Bottom line, I am out of luck and will have no prescription coverage until I can seek new coverage during Open Season. As our financial exposure is at risk, such coverage will of course, not be with AARP.

AARP Medicare Supplemental Insurance author review by Cyril Tuohy

UnitedHealthcare provides AARP branded Medicare supplement insurance. The AARP organization does not act as an insurer. Only members of AARP can enroll in this coverage.

• Free Nurse HealthLine: Those with AARP supplement insurance have complimentary access to Nurse HealthLine for 24-hour a day assistance. Nurses can help consumers decide if they need to schedule a doctor’s appointment or visit the ER and answer questions about both prescription and over-the-counter medication.

• Vision care discounts: Consumers with AARP supplement insurance receive discounts on corrective eyeglasses and contacts as well as discounted eye exams. The discounts are administered by EyeMed.

• Plan selector: Interested consumers can use the online plan selector to help them choose a plan that works best for their situation. When users visit the website and answer basic questions about their healthcare preferences, it shows them which plan most closely matches their needs.

• In-person appointments: Consumers who would rather meet with an insurance agent to discuss their supplement coverage can request an appointment by filling out a form on AARP’s supplement insurance website. After they fill out the form, a licensed agent will contact them.

by Cyril Tuohy Insurance Contributing Editor

Cyril Tuohy, has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

AARP Medicare Supplemental Insurance Company Information