AARP Medicare Supplemental Insurance

Compare Medicare Supplemental Insurance

Research top Medicare Supplemental Insurance recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

All I needed when I called today is proof of the premiums that I am paying this company and it is a lot. The internet site is a joke and requires you make up a 51 character password and no matter what after 3 hours none of the passwords I made up worked at all. All technical support wanted to do is tell me that I was wrong and that they had a 1 character password I had to make up. It honestly was a 51 character password no matter what you used nothing at all worked. Customer Service and technical support would not print off how much my premiums were in the computer. I am sure this had to do with the HIPPA lawsuit that caused the entire HIPPA crap to be passed.

All I need is to be able to print out this sheet for food stamps and customer service and no one I talked to after making 4 phone calls when my time is valuable would help me. I hate your GUTS AARP Medicare Complete. You do not care at all about the money I pay for you to do me a service and give me medical care. You would not help me at all get in the computer to find this information. All customer service and technical support wanted to do is argue with me and tell me that there was not a 51 character password required for me to set up my own account when there was. Get into the site yourself to see. I was in the site over 3 hours trying to figure it out and customer service and Technical Support did not give a GD about helping me get this information I needed for Food stamps. Please never ever never ever sign up with this plan.

Their phone staff is incompetent and not caring and they do not give a damn about you as a customer. They made in the trillions of dollars in 2015 in revenues and this is how I get treated as a customer. I hate your guts AARP Medicare Complete. You deserve this bad review because your 4 reps could care less about what I needed from the food stamp office when I really need it real bad. Never have I been treated so bad by a company I have done business with by telephone or by mail. You guys really suck super bad. I plan to tell 10 others and so on and so on where you will hardly have any customers ever. You do not deserve to have me as a customer.

AARP Medicare does not care about clients even enough to supply information. I was contacted by AARP who assured me I needed their service. Didn't I want their delivery services for my drugs. I am disabled and moved to a different community from a large city to a rural community. I retired from civil service and am a part of the retiree union plan coincidentally through OptumRX. I thought both were necessary encouraged by the phone staff. I told one that it looked like the plans duplicated and the phone staff UnitedHealth/Medicare assured me this was not the case.

So I went from paying $3.00 per month union dues and $17.00 to pick up my meds from CVS to $30.00 pickup service plus $63.00 Medicare fee plus $17.00 monthly. I finally ignored the advice of these agents and cancelled. Now my account has been turned over to a collection agency. AARP/UnitedHealthcare who take their monthly payment for the entirely unnecessary (for me) Part D - their people who answer the phone will tell you anything to keep you enrolled. Shame on you AARP. You of all people perpetrating this on the elderly and disabled who you claim.

When I called to cancel my Medicare Supplemental health insurance, I was informed that I would not be able to receive a refund and that my policy will remain in effect until the end of the month. I asked to have my policy cancelled effective 8/03/16. I was told that was the law in the state where I live...NJ. Really??? That needs to be changed if true!

Address Verification (Shut Down my Account). I suddenly had my account shut down and got charged 359.00 for medicine that I have purchased for 60 dollars. I am forced to pay on Credit Card because Florida only lets you fill prescriptions on your last day of Medication. (**) None left to take. I called AARP and they would only resign me up as a new Applicant and rather than making good on the day before, they said they was going to refund my payment they previously accepted. Pissed OFF!!!

On June 16, 2016, OptumRx received a new prescription from my doctor for **. The prescription was processed and my credit card billed $90 on June 18, 2016 and an email confirmed shipping on that date. A USPS tracking number indicated that the medication was shipped from Kansas City, MO, June 20, 2016 (June 18), via first class mail. Repeated inquiries utilizing USPS tracking number indicates that the package was accepted by USPS June 20, Kansas City, MO. Out of medication, I telephoned and spoke with a supervisor at OptumRx June 25, who promised if the medication did not arrive June 25, I could call back and OptumRx would ensure that I received medication until the issue was resolved.

When the medication did not arrive, another supervisor took the call, and refused to help me. She repeatedly stated the medication was shipped "standard," nothing could be done until June 29. After I repeatedly stated that a package sent first class from Kansas City to New York should have arrived by now, and that tracking information indicated that it never left its origin, something needed to be done. She refused to help me and told me to wait until June 29, even though I was out of medication. OptumRx has the worse customer service and the worst service in general of any mail order pharmacy I have ever utilized. I have had nothing but problems with them since I signed up through AARP. AARP has done nothing to help me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AARP?

Sold United HealthCare AAPR supplemental with comments that ALL costs not covered by Medicare covered by Supplemental FALSE - my mom went directly to skilled nursing, under Dr orders, without a 3-day stay in a hospital, and Medicare and Supplemental denied payment. My mom is now out $12,000 plus having to pay nearly $300 a month in premiums vs. her previous Medicare Plan C health insurance at less than $40 a month. We have been ripped off. I would never recommend this insurance to anyone who is cost conscious.

The subject Medicare Rx plans can be viewed at https://pdp.aarpmedicareplans.com. I did a side by side comparison of the Preferred and Saver Plus plans and found that the Saver Plus plan is less expensive and offers more coverage than the Preferred plan. I spoke with several AARP representatives who confirmed that the lower cost Saver Plus plan is superior in cost and coverage to the Preferred plan. But, many seniors, including my 90 year old parents no longer have the mental capacity to conduct a cost analysis of the plans. Recently, I discovered that last year my parents switched to the Preferred plan because they assumed that the word "Preferred" meant that they would receive greater benefits. But in fact they are now spending more.

They also have a medigap policy through Gilsbar that has a High and Low plan. Last year, they also switched that policy from the low plan to the high plan. As with their AARP Rx plan, the High Gilsbar plan is more costly that the Low plan and there are absolutely additional benefits included in the High plan. As with AARP, I called several Gilsbar representatives and confirmed that there is no advantage to purchasing the High plan. There is a pattern of deception that I doubt is limited to just the AARP Rx plan and the Gilsbar medical coverage plan. This may be something that consumeraffairs.com may want to investigate further. I am more than happy to provide additional details upon request.

I have paid out personally close to $600.00 out of pocket. My plan has paid under $200.00. I pay approximately $1200.00 a year for insurance coverage plus more out of pocket for meds than my insurance company does. You are making money off of me and providing me with subrate care as far as medicine available to me at a reasonable price. I am angry and can't wait to get off this insurance policy and pray there is not more perpetrators like you to choose from. For more detailed information on the challenges put before me by your company I would appreciate a phone call as it would take up too much space allotted in your format and feel pretty sure it would not be read...

On 1/21/2016 I visited one of my doctors on a follow-up call after surgery. The doctor submitted an invoice to the insurance company for $79.00 and I paid my $59.00 co-payment. I have been billed several times from the doctor's billing team that I owe $27.00. I have call customer service five times about this issue and the billing team three times. I have been told that was "balance billing" and it was an illegal practice and not accepted. After 60 days I received a letter from the insurance company stating they had checked their records and they were correct.

The billing team has told me that the invoice had the correct code number but they denied paying the invoice. The only solution left for me was to tell the last customer service rep that I would not hang up until I had an acceptable answer. He (Greg) was not able to tell me why the invoice was denied as others could not either, but was able to connect me with Candace, the escalation manager. She told me that Medicare allowed $45.00 for the service and since the doctor only performed only this service and nothing else that I would not be responsible for the difference between the $45.00 that Medicare would pay and the $79.00 of the invoice. However I should get back from the billing team $17.00.

This is the first time that an invoice from a doctor has been this low and what the plan approved amount less than my copayment. I asked, "Why do I have insurance if the plan doesn't pay anything but Medicare pays and not the insurance company?" She said that they had arranged for the discount reducing the doctor's invoice for me. I am to receive a letter from Candace explaining this whole situation. However, I'm not holding my breath as I have been told about receiving letters before and for some reason the postal carrier never brings them.

Paying $158 a month. Hospital/ambulance, RX plan and Cigna dental/hearing/eye. The same day the money was withdrawn from my account. Was told all pharmacies take this insurance and I would only pay $10 for generic and $25 for name brand. I was told a packet of my coverages would be sent which I did not receive. I received only my cards. I figured I would just wait until I picked up my meds to find out exactly what they would cover. Picked up my script that cost $200. Only 5$ was paid! I called them and then they tell me I have to go to yourdiscountrx.com to find out where my medication at what pharmacy would be covered. Why wasn't this initially told to me???

I asked for them to send me a contract and a listed coverage with what I'm paying for. I waited on the phone with them while they emailed. They sent me a brochure! I was then told I WASN'T COVERED FOR VISION. In the state of NJ a contract in writing must be provided showing the insured and insurer agreeing to the terms. Once I mentioned this, I was then told a manager named Tatena would return my call in a half hour. It's now been 2 hours and no call.

A reminder to everyone!!! Get it in writing! Insurance is regulated by the commissioner in every state. All insurance agreements are between the insurer and the insured. If something wasn't covered that should be and you have in writing, the contract is breached and in void! By law you are able to get your money back regardless of what this company says. Find out who your state insurance commissioner is and send a simple email. I should have demanded a copy of my coverage right away and not waited until I picked up my expensive medication. So far not happy.

The costs we ended up paying for our drugs were 175% higher than the prices they quoted me on a phone call. They suck you in with low monthly rates and charge you totally higher prices for the prescription than what they quoted. Bait and switch. Getting out as soon as possible. Also chucking their healthcare plan.

Letter came in Oct. My medication is not longer covered. They gave me two different ones I could take. 1 I was allergic to the other my Dr. gave me new prescription for. Jan. sent in new Prescription, paid 105 out of pocket. End of month Jan 31st, I am in the donut hole. They charged me in total almost 2300 for one prescription. Call them. OH. Had three other prescriptions totaling over 700? & now over 3,000. End Jan they said they never sent letter. I have copy of letter. Made phone calls for over 4 hrs.

Finally got someone in consumer advocate. I faxed her everything. Said she would get back within the week. Three weeks later. Nothing. I cannot get other prescriptions as I will pay full price. Finally got someone else who said she would get back very quickly. That was last week. Haven't heard from anyone as yet. Very disturbed. I am about to call a TV station and hopefully they will put this on the news channel and expose this for what is happening now to senior citizens. This is absolutely a disgrace. I will take this as far as I can. It is totally unacceptable. Oh, they did tell me I could get the other medication. So letter was sent in error, meanwhile I am in the donut hole as of Jan. 31. I have paid for the full year upfront. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cost was $75 then appealed twice last year 92015 and cost was $2 (from Tier 4 to 1). This year (2016) I appealed and my physician appealed like we did in 2015 and they put the medication at Tier 3 because of some new rule to make more money. The cost is $35 instead of $2. I cannot change companies until the October 15 through December 7th enrollment period. As a result, I pay $68.60 a month to United Health Care and they charge me $35 for one medication per month and $2 to 10 for the other three medications I take. I will definitely be changing Rx coverage next year as United Health Care is only interested in making money and doesn't care about its clients!

My BIG mistake to go back to AARP Medicare Advantage this year. I don't have too many issues with the Part A & B side of the plan but then I haven't had enough general health issues to properly rate it. I do have BIG issues with Part D and this is why I left the plan for two years. I won't be back next year. Every effort is made to limit drugs and keep expenses down for senior citizens who have paid into the systems for decades and have earned the right to affordable health care. Drugs are moved to a higher class or eliminated for no apparent reason. Exceptions are denied because of no lower cost alternatives (which have not worked) when their own formulary shows the alternatives. It's all a sham and an effort to force the cost burden on senior citizens rather than just pay for health care.

Was awarded. I was given a new doctor and was told they were giving me a new card. Has been a month. I have called 5 times and they still have not got it right! United Health Care sucks! No one knows what they are doing! You want to call me, go ahead **! I hate the day I signed up with them.

In the last four months, AARP has messed with three of my medications. The latest has been one that I have taken three pills a day for over two years. Now they say they only allow two. Also, they have made this generic drug a 3 tier instead of a 2 tier. Now I am trying to get it approved as it has been denied. They are messing with my health and well being.

I have a similar problem to George from Phoenix below. I called the Medigap number given me by Medicare when I switched over during open enrollment, from BCBS of TN to original Medicare. I was given no real choice since Part F is administered by AARP UHC in Tennessee. Since then I have not been able to complete my application because despite three increasingly panic-stricken calls, they can't even get their act together enough to send me the forms I have to fill out.

Was told last week by the call center guy that they have no way of reaching anyone really at AARP UNH, but assured me I could be retroactively covered if the application is completed by Jan 31. I told him that was BS because what if I need healthcare on Jan. 1? They aren't going to take that as proof of coverage, and I'm now in a strange and troubling health crisis that may escalate to some serious care. This is 100 percent totally unacceptable. Tomorrow I am going to start calling anyone I can, anywhere I can, to complain about this.

I was given AARP when I became disabled. I am on 48 different medications. I have several auto-immune. They're trying to take away my brand and give me generic. I have tried all generics before the brand. I'm allergic to many fillers and generics due to my auto-immune rejecting them. Now I have to fight for my Norvasc, my Dulera, Denavir, Crestor, Movenpick. The list goes on and on because they're brand. I am over-insured and should I have Medicare A&B, Medicaid C&D, my own private insurance which is 1200 a month, they refused to pick anything up. When I had Medicaid and my private insurance I paid 0 for prescriptions. Now that I have a RP my insurance won't pick up anything and I have to pay for prescriptions $4 - $2 but a bad up times 48 a month and I'm only getting $524 a month minus 108 for insurance.

And I was ordered SSI but the ** at the Social Security office in East Hartford changed a federal judge's rules, all the dates, stole my back pay for Social Security disability, and won't give me my SSI. She thinks I had somebody pay my rent. Nobody paid my rent except my alimony. She knows that she deducted 300 for food and rent. First of all if you look food is even on the SSI manual. Now I have to fight. I'm dying and that's what they're waiting for. They gave my attorney 60% of my social security disability. They took back the SSI they did pay me out of my social security disability. They changed all the dates and she became God. My lawyer lied so now I have to get a new lawyer. I'm suing Social Security disability.

And East Hartford Connecticut shade Drake who was supposed to be the manager is very rude and the people that you answer the phone there are very rude. The head woman there was supposed to call me back. Never did and I've called at least 50 times. I wait on the phone for 4-5 hours for someone to pick up. They don't like what I'm saying. I have a friend that works there. I have documents that they took monies that I wasn't aware of. I never approved the attorney fees he was paid in July. I just received my back pay for Social Security disability and it was about $40,000 short and I should have gone back more years but she said I was getting money from my husband while I was separated legally. We were not living together. He was not giving me money. We never filed together. I've been sick since 2005. I filed several times. They conveniently lost all my records.

Now AARP wants me to take generic when I will end up in the hospital. I was in a coma from a cerebral brain hemorrhage. I have a hole in my heart and the aneurysm on my heart, a brain aneurysm, and then lupus scleroderma with crest fibromyalgia, fibrosis pancreatitis. My whole back is shot. I was hit by a tractor trailer. I have a few snack. I had a complete hysterectomy. She used to match. She's lying. I have all kinds of things. My lymph nodes had to come out to Amber's needs. It come out and they're taking away my prescriptions. I can't wait for them to deluxe side of my deliverer inhaler fibrosis that's into my lungs. I have less than a year to live.

Everybody lies. Social Security lies. The doctors lie. The nurses lie. They say they sent it for referral. Well I can't wait 3-4 months for decision when I need the drug now and I don't have the money. And you tell me why generic is 180 tablets $5.40 and brand is $670, and when I take the generic I get violently ill. They are not the same and I'm sick of being screwed. I have Medicare A&B, Medicaid C&D, AARP and I pay $1,200 for my own HMO private insurance that refuses to even pick up the $3 the dollar twenty co-pay for my medication.

It's a nightmare and stress is making me sicker, and I have strokes every night so what the hell do I do now? I'm going to the governor. I'm going to the sender. I'm going to the congressman. I'm going to call so much hell with everybody because I basically don't give a crap anymore. Nobody cares about me. They make it miserable for you because most people give up. Well I'm not giving up. I will call you everyday every five minutes until I get what I deserve. I am entitled to it. I paid into Social Security and you give me this crap. I can't afford to wait. I can't even swallow because of one of the diseases I have. I can't eat food. My doctor called department social services because I was 89 pounds.

I'm dying. They know it and I want to see the people at Social Security in federal prison for changing everything that federal judge ordered. January 1st she put down for a date. They changed it to the 3rd. That makes a big difference when it comes to your back pay. She also took away almost two years of back pay. Attorney get 60%. By law only allowed to get 25%. Then they didn't find the papers. They lied to me so I'm suing him and I'm suing him for my money back. But I need my prescriptions. None of these people that say they're going to help you from these companies, these advocacy companies, don't help you. I'm pissed off.

When I went to the hospital, my meds while there were not covered by the AARP Rx plan. Some of the meds were, but they refused to pay all of them. I do pay a high premium for this plan and this was very disappointing to me. I will not continue with this plan in the following renewal. I don't recommend it either since they refuse to cover hospital meds.

AARP sold its name to United Healthcare. United subdivides itself into sections that won't communicate with each other. After days of phone calls, my wife and I ended up with different coverages, exactly what we didn't want. We're overpaying by 85$/mo. The one time we needed it we were charged over $200 and given an Rx that isn't covered, a total failure. Wish I had never heard of them!

When I signed up for Social Security benefits back in 2003, Medicare was offered for free along with it. Fast forward to now where I have no job, no income and no money. I've only used my Medicare card once and that was over 4 years ago to get some pills from the doctor at the lowered agreement price (while it was still free). Now all of a sudden, I get a bill from them saying I owe $629.40 for "Hospital Insurance", "Medical Insurance", and "IRMAA". I have no money, no job, and no income. I have contacted my congressional representative to add this on the list, social security is saying I owe them money for to the things they never even paid me.

These people are scammers, social security is scammers, they will go after you saying you owe them money they never paid you. They will garnish your wages, they will ruin your credit. And when you bring it to their attention to show them why you don't owe them anything, and they agree and say "we will look into this". Be prepared for a 10 year+ investigation of them doing absolutely nothing, while you continue to get threatening letters, 25% wage garnishments (if you have a job), and a ruined credit score you can't get out of. STAY AWAY FROM THEM!!!

This mail order group is substandard. I have repeatedly called about my prescription medications that have been renewed by my provider and I have made an appointment after 2 failed requests "not received" by this group. Personally saw the requests send over, only once again being denied by OptumRx. No one cares about this issue until you reach a supervisor who contacts the office to get yet another renewal. Also, was denied a medicine I has an authorization for, was billed full amount, only to get a letter from AARP, saying that was incorrect, and would need to fill out 2 pages for refund. Forget it! Returned it all! AARP has NOT been an advocate for me either.

I buy my medicine through the AARP "Prescription Drug Plan" (Medicare part E) and the products are delivered by mail. My problem is with their cheap packaging. I can spend $1,500 on inhalers and I receive them looking like an Elephant sat on them. They know better.

Since acquiring AARP insured through UnitedHealthCare they have refused to fill half of my prescriptions leaving me to pay the entire amount sometimes as high as $350+ which I could not afford so it left me without the medication needed for my right hand when the tendon on my middle finger slipped off my knuckle leaving me with no relief except for pain pills which they seem to never mind filling. One prescription for $63 I fully purchased because I needed something for the pain. I can't just take any medication because of past history of bleeding ulcers. Today they finally filled a prescription leaving me with a co-pay of $133 and I broke down and paid because I have arthritis and my bones are deteriorating and this medicine is suppose to help reduce the rate.

On top of everything else when they refuse to pay for the medication and you pay, that payment does not count against your co-pay because it was not considered a co-pay to begin with. So you could pay out thousands of dollars for your own medication and it won't count. People that don't pay for Medicare Part D gets better service than this one that you have to pay for. Can't wait to get rid of it.

I retired a few months ago and signed up with AARP Medicare because I had a very good experience with UnitedHealthcare before I retired. What a negative experience with AARP. Their website did not work reliably, so I could register myself but not my wife. I tried registration by telephone, I was told that if registration had failed once for technical reason it would always fail again (and it did). So I had to register by mailing paper forms. I finally got my wife registered a month later. Since then nothing but problem. My wife has still not received her membership card. I cannot sign in to their Website, getting a "500 Internal System Error". I have been hanging on the telephone for several hours for help to no avail. I am now in the process of figuring out how I can change to anything else, I don't see how the service could be worse.

The AARP Medicare Supplemental Insurance website cannot be relied upon. It is frequently out of service yielding only server errors when trying to sign in. Calling them about the problem yields no results. In fact they respond they are aware they have problems. Avoid this healthcare choice if at all possible. They are unreliable and exhibit no intentions of improving. Their only expertise seems to be advertising.

I take the generic drug for Imitrex, Sumatriptan Succinate for migraines. The cost in India for a 100 mg tab where it's manufactured by various companies if not purchased in bulk ie. Consumer prices is about $1 a pill. Here in the US the costs range from $14-$100 for nine tablets of 100mg, or $1.55 to $11.11 per tablet. The cost of Imitrex is about $250 per 9 tab pack. AARP's pharmacy partner Catamaran charges $100/9 tabs and if you add delivery it's over $200. That is highway robbery, I feel sorry for anyone who relies on this. I'm still waiting to make back my membership cost on any discount they have offered that I couldn't have received w/o that cost. I think it just must be a political lobby group, do not see a non-profit here.

When my husband retired First Energy told us if I wanted my insurance to continue we needed to change his to AARP Medigap plan. So we did. My husband is cared for by the VA doctors and hospital but is not one hundred percent. Medicare pays 9 dollars here, 5 dollars there. This leaves us with between 400-600 dollar co-pays monthly. UnitedHealthcare pays nothing. I call them to ask what can be done and they hang up on me. Just hang up. I explain that we are drowning and what do I need to do to get them to pick up the slack and they say Medicare is paying all that is allowed. Then they just hang up on me. AARP UnitedHealthcare and Humana drug prescriptions are rip-offs in my opinion...scams.

When I was initially enrolled in insurance, I was lied to and told I had dental insurance for false teeth. I was also lied to about other coverage to include eyeglasses and a fitness program at a local gym. I will be canceling my insurance with you when the time comes to change insurance companies. I am also informing everyone I know about your lies.

All of the last 5 prescriptions written by my doctors were so costly I could not purchase them. These are NOT INHERENTLY COSTLY MEDICATIONS! They are 'old' standbys that have been marked up so much, they are out of the reach of the average senior with AARP's 'best' Part D plan coverage. I have gone without and suffered the consequences. Like others who have written to Consumer Affairs, it is impossible to get to anyone who can or will help address your problem. I had Blue Shield last year. While their appeals were responded to, all in the negative, at least you felt they were making an attempt. AARP MAKES NO ATTEMPT TO ADDRESS THE COMPLAINT. THEY DON'T EVEN ANSWER THE PHONE! Last 5 Rx's called into Walgreens were never picked up due to prohibitive cost.

Expert Review

Cyril TuohyInsurance Contributing Editor

Cyril Tuohy, has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.    More about Cyril→

UnitedHealthcare provides AARP branded Medicare supplement insurance. The AARP organization does not act as an insurer. Only members of AARP can enroll in this coverage.

• Free Nurse HealthLine: Those with AARP supplement insurance have complimentary access to Nurse HealthLine for 24-hour a day assistance. Nurses can help consumers decide if they need to schedule a doctor’s appointment or visit the ER and answer questions about both prescription and over-the-counter medication.
  • Vision care discounts: Consumers with AARP supplement insurance receive discounts on corrective eyeglasses and contacts as well as discounted eye exams. The discounts are administered by EyeMed.
  • Plan selector: Interested consumers can use the online plan selector to help them choose a plan that works best for their situation. When users visit the website and answer basic questions about their healthcare preferences, it shows them which plan most closely matches their needs.
  • In-person appointments: Consumers who would rather meet with an insurance agent to discuss their supplement coverage can request an appointment by filling out a form on AARP’s supplement insurance website. After they fill out the form, a licensed agent will contact them.
  • Best for AARP supplement insurance is best for AARP members.

Compare Medicare Supplemental Insurance