Find a Medicare Supplemental Insurance partner

Compare Medicare plans and pricing

Shop plans on Medicare.net

Get Started

About AARP Medicare Supplemental Insurance

AARP is a well-known company that offers supplemental health insurance for senior citizens looking to fill gaps in their Medicare coverage. The company offers eight Medicare plans through United Healthcare. This supplemental health coverage is available only to AARP members.

Top AARP Medicare Supplemental Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about AARP Medicare Supplemental Insurance?

Verified

AARP is a great company. They offer great coverage for many things like hospital stays and visits, yearly checkups and… even teeth cleanings. In addition, they offer a great app t...

Verified

I have had AARP since I first started on Medicare… To date I have had two operations, six hospital visits, numerous specialists, hospital procedures and blood tests. The only char...

Compare Medicare plans and pricing

Shop plans on Medicare.net

Get Started

What is AARP Medicare supplemental insurance?

AARP’s Medicare supplemental insurance is add-on coverage for gaps in seniors’ Medicare policies. Also known as Medigap, this coverage is offered through United Healthcare and helps you handle out-of-pocket expenses not covered by standard Medicare insurance. Members can choose their doctor or hospital (as long as they accept Medicare) with no referral requirements. AARP also won’t cancel your coverage or raise your premiums as a result of your health costs.

AARP Medicare supplement plans

AARP offers 11 Medicare supplement plans, although not all of them are available in every state. All come with the same basic coverage, with additional protections varying by plan. It’s important to note that these plans don’t include long-term care, vision, dental, hearing aid, eyeglass, private nursing or prescription drug coverage.

AARP Medicare provides Part A coverage for inpatient and hospital treatment and Part B coverage for outpatient and medical treatment. Within these categories, AARP’s options include Plans A, B, C, D, F, G, K, L, M and N.

How much does AARP Medicare supplemental insurance cost?

Your AARP Medicare supplement costs depend on various factors, including your age, location and the plan you choose. For example, a 65-year-old woman in Los Angeles might pay between $60 and $195 a month, depending on the plan she selects, while the same woman might pay from $50 to $160 a month in Acorn, Tennessee. A 70-year-old man in New York City is likely to pay $80 to $320 monthly. Note that costs vary widely depending on your situation.

AARP Medicare supplemental insurance FAQ

How much do AARP’s Medicare supplements cost?
Costs for AARP’s Medicare supplements depend on the plan you choose, your age and your location. These rates can range from $70 per month to more than $375.
What does AARP supplemental insurance cover?
AARP supplemental insurance helps with out-of-pocket costs not covered by standard Medicare plans.
Where is AARP Medicare supplemental insurance available?
AARP’s Medicare supplemental coverage is available across the country; your doctor or hospital must accept Medicare, however.
How do I qualify for AARP Medicare supplemental insurance?
To qualify for AARP’s Medicare supplemental coverage, you must be enrolled in Medicare and have an AARP membership (available only to those 65+ years of age).

Is AARP Medicare supplemental insurance any good?

AARP’s Medicare supplements are ideal for seniors who need help with their medical costs. Medicare typically pays for major medical treatments, but sometimes its deductibles and other expenses can break the bank — supplemental insurance makes these costs more manageable. This coverage isn’t the cheapest available, but AARP is a trusted company; overall, Medicare supplemental insurance is a good choice for AARP members.

AARP Medicare Supplemental Insurance Reviews

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

I have had AARP Medicare Supplement for the last 7 years. It has been great. With the plan I have, it covers my Medicare deductible and balances that Medicare does not pay. I think the insurance is great and am very pleased with this product. Since I have had it, I have not received a bill for any balance on my medical bills. I would recommend it to everybody.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2021

Very good coverage. All of my doctors are included and the $5 drop-in specialist co-pays is nice for 2021. Two big issues; the coverage gap for one of my medications is ridiculous and will kick in early summer this year where a 3 month supply goes from $141 to almost $500 and the dental covers next to nothing. I do have nationwide coverage if we are ever able to travel, so I am not locked into Connecticut if I need care when out of state.

Get buying tips about Medicare Supplemental Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2021

I used to have a different insurance and it was supposed to pay 80% of covered expenses. It was absolutely horrible insurance and now I have the AARP insurance. They pay 80% except they pay more of the covered expenses or they have more covered expenses than the other company had. I recently had breast cancer and I had very little out-of-pocket money to pay. Awesome insurance. I would tell anyone. I would recommend it to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

I have been more than pleased with my AARP Supplemental Insurance that I've had and used for the last eight years. In that time I had one issue with billing and the customer service rep and the provider facility were very professional in helping to resolve the issue to my satisfaction. I appreciate the written information that is sent out keeping you up to date on any new benefits for us.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

Generally a good policy. It covers what it was intended for: medical doctor office visits and related services, e.g., imaging, physical therapy, laboratory testing. If only, this coverage was available for the other health care services, such as, prescription drugs, dental and vision care. Most retirees did not intend to devote so much time and attention to selecting, enrolling and maintaining coverage with an ever-changing cast of multiple health insurance providers.

Original review: May 20, 2021

This company should be named AARP Runaround. My doctor changed my diabetes medication to insulin. I need a meter that shows the rate of change. United Healthcare sent me running to five separate suppliers and denied them shipping. They told me my appeal for pre-authorization was Oked. They then told me to get it from a company that doesn't carry the meter. I think AARP should be legally prevented from recommending health insurance.

Original review: April 6, 2021

I am diabetic and I have been on the same medication for years! But now my blood sugar is out of control because United Healthcare won't pay for my life saving medication! **. It looks like united Healthcare doesn't care if I live or die! THIS POST WAS PURPOSELY MADE PUBLIC TO WARN PEOPLE ABOUT UNITED HEALTHCARE FOR AARP!

Original review: March 4, 2021

We've been with AARP UnitedHealthCare for several years. They must have had a management change or supervisory issues recently. Customer service is non-existent. Holding times in excess of an hour only to talk with someone who has no clue or provides misinformation. I am taking a tier 4 (expensive) medication. My doctor prescribed the medication every other day yet I am being charged for daily use. I was told that I am charged for a month of usage regardless of how much I use - makes no sense. Pay for 30 but only get (and use) 15!! I'm done with AARP United next sign up period.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2021

Coverage awesome, I have very small out of pocket bills. In the last 5 years I've had a surgery and an emergency room visit. But the yearly rate increase negates yearly social security raise. If I wasn't working full time, I don't think I could pay for it.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

AARP is okay to supplement my Medicare Insurance and it works very well for me as I need all the help I need and all is very clear regarding all their rules and fine prints and all requirements. I'm happy.

AARP Medicare Supplemental Insurance Company Information