3.62/5

AARP Medicare Supplemental Insurance

AARP offers roadside assistance through Allstate. AARP members who sign up for roadside assistance can get help 24/7 if they have a flat tire, need their car towed, run out of gas, have a dead car battery or lock their keys in their car. Members are covered in the United States, Puerto Rico and Canada.

AARP Medicare Supplemental Insurance Reviews

Original review: Sept. 28, 2019

Between Medicare and AARP Healthcare Suppliment “F. Thank you Last April I joined my daughter on a trip from Arizona to Oregon. On the way my legs swelled up as well as my waist. My pants did not fit. Easter 2019 I first was taken to Urgent Care, to find out I had a blood clot in my lung and A-fip on my heart and few days later I was in the hospital for a week. No bills as of now. No harassment. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

Very good. Customer service is friendly, helpful and generally competent. I was transferred at least 5 times on one problem before reaching the correct person to help me. And of course they have the dreaded phone tree one must climb to get to a human being. I hated having to change insurance and relearn everything, I had problems here settling in, but no worse than expected.

Get expert buying tips about Medicare Supplemental Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

They cover everything and premium is excellent compared to husband's BCBS. In fact premium decreased this year which is unheard of. Also their RX plan now covers my many prescriptions at no cost to me other than the monthly premium. As everyone else, I want reasonable insurance costs along with excellent coverage.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

I have used my insurance this year for a trip to the emergency room for my wrist with follow up visits to an orthopedic surgeon, dermatology procedures, and shoulder surgery (superior capsular reconstruction) with physical therapy. I have paid ZERO out of pocket for all of this. I anticipate more dermatology procedures and possibly surgery on the other shoulder. I am so pleased that I have this supplemental coverage. It has been an easy journey too, with no hassles regarding claims.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

I have been a member of AARP United Healthcare Medicare Complete for 1.5 years and am extremely satisfied with the assistance from Customer Service. There have been a number of issues:

1. An Eye Care provider balance billing me, this was rectified while I was on the phone with them and a revised invoice sent.

2. A pharmacy billing UHC for a prescription I was not given, this was reversed while I was on the phone.

3. Again balance billed for a CT scan at in an in-network provider. I spoke with Judy on Sunday (Monday was a holiday) and she said she would make a note and call them on Tuesday. She called me back on Tuesday morning and said the matter had been rectified and the provider would send me a revised invoice for co-pay only.

I would strongly advise all UHC Medicare Complete members to check their monthly UHC statements carefully for claims, and not to pay any invoices until they have been cross checked against the UHC statements or with a CSR.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AARP?

Original review: Nov. 23, 2019

I have had AARP UHC supplemental Plan N for 12 months. I have no issues with the company in regards to covering the medical expenses as outlined by Plan N. The bills are paid in a timely manner so I have never had to get involved. My issue is they were not transparent about their pricing when I initially signed up. I signed up at 65 and paid a premium that was a little lower than average compared to the other providers. However, I was not told that I was getting a 33% early enrollment discount where the discount decreases by 3% every year. This year my premium went up 20%. I am guaranteed it will continue to go up every year even if the plan price does not increase. Do your due diligence when looking for a provider. I am currently looking for a new provider. Thank goodness I am healthy and have this option. People with poor health do not have that option.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

Just called United Healthcare about a bill from 2018 that they only paid $.64 cents when my premium was around $107. a month. They kept telling me I had a co-pay that needed to be paid, so I owe $20.00 with a N Plan. I kept telling them I have never paid a co pay with Medicare and Supplemental AARP Insurance, being I had been seen by the orthopedic surgeon next door and he said both insurances would cancel each other out. I no longer have AARP Supplemental Insurance because I can't afford it. Buyer Beware If You are considering this Supplemental Insurance Plan. Never gave me an upfront answer so you can't reason with hurricane season so I guess I will have to pay the one and only bill that didn't cancel itself out.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

Very pricey due to cancer more than 5 years ago. I will never get out of the high bracket, even though I am cancer free. Otherwise, it is the standard plans dictated by Medicare.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

My mother was very pleased with AARP UnitedHealthcare during her Membership. However upon my mother's death and becoming executor of her estate in order to settle medical bills I called upon customer service. My only intent was to provide information so that I could obtain information in order to settle medical bills. Every time I called I was given a different fax number, different information and a different process for providing my executor paperwork. Upon asking for a manager to call me no return call was made.

Their total lack of respect for the situation that I was in upon losing my mother and trying to settle her affairs Has left me with serious doubts about Their competence and intentions. They have provided multiple incorrect fax numbers and I now have no idea where my information has been fax. Their so called attempts to protect privacy has invaded my privacy and put serious doubt at in my mind as to their intentions. Once again I have asked for a supervisor to call. They only need to listen to the recorded calls they are so fond of reminding you that you were on in order to settle this matter. Buyer beware.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

The plan that I have is excellent. There are no copays or deductibles and I have Never been denied coverage or gotten a bill for anything. I have never had to call customer service for any problems.

AARP expert review by Cyril Tuohy

UnitedHealthcare provides AARP branded Medicare supplement insurance. The AARP organization does not act as an insurer. Only members of AARP can enroll in this coverage.

• Free Nurse HealthLine: Those with AARP supplement insurance have complimentary access to Nurse HealthLine for 24-hour a day assistance. Nurses can help consumers decide if they need to schedule a doctor’s appointment or visit the ER and answer questions about both prescription and over-the-counter medication.

• Vision care discounts: Consumers with AARP supplement insurance receive discounts on corrective eyeglasses and contacts as well as discounted eye exams. The discounts are administered by EyeMed.

• Plan selector: Interested consumers can use the online plan selector to help them choose a plan that works best for their situation. When users visit the website and answer basic questions about their healthcare preferences, it shows them which plan most closely matches their needs.

• In-person appointments: Consumers who would rather meet with an insurance agent to discuss their supplement coverage can request an appointment by filling out a form on AARP’s supplement insurance website. After they fill out the form, a licensed agent will contact them.

• Best for: AARP supplement insurance is best for AARP members.

Profile picture of Cyril Tuohy
Cyril Tuohy Insurance Contributing Editor

Cyril Tuohy, has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

AARP Medicare Supplemental Insurance Company Information