3.65/5

AARP Medicare Supplemental Insurance

AARP offers roadside assistance through Allstate. AARP members who sign up for roadside assistance can get help 24/7 if they have a flat tire, need their car towed, run out of gas, have a dead car battery or lock their keys in their car. Members are covered in the United States, Puerto Rico and Canada.

AARP Medicare Supplemental Insurance Reviews

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

I have used my insurance this year for a trip to the emergency room for my wrist with follow up visits to an orthopedic surgeon, dermatology procedures, and shoulder surgery (superior capsular reconstruction) with physical therapy. I have paid ZERO out of pocket for all of this. I anticipate more dermatology procedures and possibly surgery on the other shoulder. I am so pleased that I have this supplemental coverage. It has been an easy journey too, with no hassles regarding claims.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

The coverage is excellent. The EOB are quickly reviewed from Medicare and paid promptly. We have no worries with deductibles or co-insurance. There are none. We have added up what our out of pocket expense would be without this supplement and the plan quickly pays for itself.

Get expert buying tips about Medicare Supplemental Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

The plan that I have is excellent. There are no copays or deductibles and I have Never been denied coverage or gotten a bill for anything. I have never had to call customer service for any problems.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2019

Between Medicare and AARP Healthcare Suppliment “F. Thank you Last April I joined my daughter on a trip from Arizona to Oregon. On the way my legs swelled up as well as my waist. My pants did not fit. Easter 2019 I first was taken to Urgent Care, to find out I had a blood clot in my lung and A-fip on my heart and few days later I was in the hospital for a week. No bills as of now. No harassment. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

Very pricey due to cancer more than 5 years ago. I will never get out of the high bracket, even though I am cancer free. Otherwise, it is the standard plans dictated by Medicare.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AARP?

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

Never used. Get 99.8% of my care through the VA. This Medicare Supplemental Insurance is lacking in many ways. I chose a Primary Care Physician and he was assigned to me or so I thought. So this year when I was in need of my civilian PCP I found out that my alleged PCP has NEVER been my PCP!! I might recommend this insurer to someone I dislike but not to anyone else. If you like getting correspondence like magazines with articles of "questionable value" then this is the organization for you. As I said I never used them because when I needed them it was going to be "find a new PCP to start" but I said the heck with that as I will be changing insurers in October.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

Very good. Customer service is friendly, helpful and generally competent. I was transferred at least 5 times on one problem before reaching the correct person to help me. And of course they have the dreaded phone tree one must climb to get to a human being. I hated having to change insurance and relearn everything, I had problems here settling in, but no worse than expected.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

My mother was very pleased with AARP UnitedHealthcare during her Membership. However upon my mother's death and becoming executor of her estate in order to settle medical bills I called upon customer service. My only intent was to provide information so that I could obtain information in order to settle medical bills. Every time I called I was given a different fax number, different information and a different process for providing my executor paperwork. Upon asking for a manager to call me no return call was made.

Their total lack of respect for the situation that I was in upon losing my mother and trying to settle her affairs Has left me with serious doubts about Their competence and intentions. They have provided multiple incorrect fax numbers and I now have no idea where my information has been fax. Their so called attempts to protect privacy has invaded my privacy and put serious doubt at in my mind as to their intentions. Once again I have asked for a supervisor to call. They only need to listen to the recorded calls they are so fond of reminding you that you were on in order to settle this matter. Buyer beware.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

I have been a member of AARP United Healthcare Medicare Complete for 1.5 years and am extremely satisfied with the assistance from Customer Service. There have been a number of issues:

1. An Eye Care provider balance billing me, this was rectified while I was on the phone with them and a revised invoice sent.

2. A pharmacy billing UHC for a prescription I was not given, this was reversed while I was on the phone.

3. Again balance billed for a CT scan at in an in-network provider. I spoke with Judy on Sunday (Monday was a holiday) and she said she would make a note and call them on Tuesday. She called me back on Tuesday morning and said the matter had been rectified and the provider would send me a revised invoice for co-pay only.

I would strongly advise all UHC Medicare Complete members to check their monthly UHC statements carefully for claims, and not to pay any invoices until they have been cross checked against the UHC statements or with a CSR.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I've been enrolled in AARP/United Healthcare PPO for five years now. I've always been happy with services. Any time I call customer service, they are eager to help with correct answer. I've never had a claim denied or even questioned. When I had emergency appendectomy, the bill was over $52,000. My portion was around $1,100, so I was happy to pay. The only small complaint I have is that United Healthcare covered Silver Sneakers when I first joined, and then they dropped coverage. If you want patients to be healthy, why don't you pay for exercise classes? It would save you money in the long run. Overall, it's a great company and I'd give FIVE stars if they included Silver Sneakers.

AARP expert review by Cyril Tuohy

UnitedHealthcare provides AARP branded Medicare supplement insurance. The AARP organization does not act as an insurer. Only members of AARP can enroll in this coverage.

• Free Nurse HealthLine: Those with AARP supplement insurance have complimentary access to Nurse HealthLine for 24-hour a day assistance. Nurses can help consumers decide if they need to schedule a doctor’s appointment or visit the ER and answer questions about both prescription and over-the-counter medication.

• Vision care discounts: Consumers with AARP supplement insurance receive discounts on corrective eyeglasses and contacts as well as discounted eye exams. The discounts are administered by EyeMed.

• Plan selector: Interested consumers can use the online plan selector to help them choose a plan that works best for their situation. When users visit the website and answer basic questions about their healthcare preferences, it shows them which plan most closely matches their needs.

• In-person appointments: Consumers who would rather meet with an insurance agent to discuss their supplement coverage can request an appointment by filling out a form on AARP’s supplement insurance website. After they fill out the form, a licensed agent will contact them.

• Best for: AARP supplement insurance is best for AARP members.

Profile picture of Cyril Tuohy
Cyril Tuohy Insurance Contributing Editor

Cyril Tuohy, has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

AARP Medicare Supplemental Insurance Company Information