AARP Medicare Supplemental Insurance

Compare Medicare plans and pricing

Shop plans on Medicare.net

Get Started

About AARP Medicare Supplemental Insurance

AARP is a well-known company that offers supplemental health insurance for senior citizens looking to fill gaps in their Medicare coverage. The company offers eight Medicare plans through United Healthcare. This supplemental health coverage is available only to AARP members.

Compare Medicare plans and pricing

Shop plans on Medicare.net

Get Started

AARP Medicare Supplemental Insurance Reviews

Stars Rating

• 12%
  • 88%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AARP Medicare Supplemental Insurance?

Reviewed April 6, 2021

I am diabetic and I have been on the same medication for years! But now my blood sugar is out of control because United Healthcare won't pay for my life saving medication! **. It looks like united Healthcare doesn't care if I live or die! THIS POST WAS PURPOSELY MADE PUBLIC TO WARN PEOPLE ABOUT UNITED HEALTHCARE FOR AARP!

Customer Service

Reviewed March 4, 2021

We've been with AARP UnitedHealthCare for several years. They must have had a management change or supervisory issues recently. Customer service is non-existent. Holding times in excess of an hour only to talk with someone who has no clue or provides misinformation. I am taking a tier 4 (expensive) medication. My doctor prescribed the medication every other day yet I am being charged for daily use. I was told that I am charged for a month of usage regardless of how much I use - makes no sense. Pay for 30 but only get (and use) 15!! I'm done with AARP United next sign up period.

Reviewed Jan. 22, 2021

Coverage awesome, I have very small out of pocket bills. In the last 5 years I've had a surgery and an emergency room visit. But the yearly rate increase negates yearly social security raise. If I wasn't working full time, I don't think I could pay for it.

Profile pic of the author.

Reviewed Jan. 21, 2021

AARP is okay to supplement my Medicare Insurance and it works very well for me as I need all the help I need and all is very clear regarding all their rules and fine prints and all requirements. I'm happy.

Reviewed Jan. 21, 2021

I pay nothing for the United Healthcare complete. I only pay the SS coverage quarterly. They saved me over $200 a month. I kept my same doctor I have had for years. As a healthy person the coverage is great. I would highly recommend it.

Reviewed Jan. 20, 2021

I have had AARP Medicare Supplement for the last 7 years. It has been great. With the plan I have, it covers my Medicare deductible and balances that Medicare does not pay. I think the insurance is great and am very pleased with this product. Since I have had it, I have not received a bill for any balance on my medical bills. I would recommend it to everybody.

Reviewed Jan. 20, 2021

I stay with AARP supplemental insurance with United Healthcare because all my physicians are available with this plan and I have no problem with claims or payments. It is not an HMO - so I can go to any doctor I choose. Exactly what I want.

Price

Reviewed Jan. 19, 2021

Skeptical of United Healthcare but they seem to have done a great job over the past 13 months. Not cheap but I can go to just about anyone I need to. Every bill was paid smoothly without any need for my intervention including a 6 week stint with physical therapy. I renewed.

Punctuality & Speed

Reviewed Jan. 19, 2021

I have United Healthcare. Have been very satisfied with this company. I had two Hip replacements. Dr.'s were excellent and work was done quickly. My payment was very reasonable. I would say to someone, that they could not choose a better insurance company to do business with.

Reviewed Jan. 18, 2021

Good coverage, but rather expensive. Although I am a medical professional, I find the explanation of benefits difficult to understand as it comes in pieces. I have had no difficulties with this insurance.

CoverageStaff

Reviewed Jan. 18, 2021

Very good coverage. All of my doctors are included and the $5 drop-in specialist co-pays is nice for 2021. Two big issues; the coverage gap for one of my medications is ridiculous and will kick in early summer this year where a 3 month supply goes from $141 to almost $500 and the dental covers next to nothing. I do have nationwide coverage if we are ever able to travel, so I am not locked into Connecticut if I need care when out of state.

Reviewed Jan. 17, 2021

Overall very happy but must say that I have not had any significant claims other than routine doctor visits which have been well covered. They do offer helpful add ons such as the sneakers and Happify programs.

Reviewed Jan. 17, 2021

I worry about the fact the premiums go up every year where I will not be able to afford it soon. It’s a worry to me. Other than that the policy I have works very well. As I age I do not like change. I hope I don’t have to.

Reviewed Jan. 16, 2021

I have had AARP Supplemental Insurance for 4 years. In that time, I have never had to pay a medical bill and never had to argue with them for coverage. I have been very happy with the coverage and would highly recommend this insurance.

Customer ServiceCoverageOnline & AppStaff

Reviewed Jan. 16, 2021

Happy with the insurance. Not happy with the $50 deal through Walmart. The representatives are hard to understand or they are out of what you are trying to order. Hard to access the online app. I place orders but usually have to call two or three times to get the things I want.

Reviewed Jan. 15, 2021

My AARP plan is awesome and worth every cent that I pay. I have many health issues that have required surgery, numerous tests and procedures. I have NEVER had to pay one penny out of pocket! Best investment ever!

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed Jan. 15, 2021

I have found that their customer service people are very helpful, they answer all questions I have had, they have found benefits that I would not have known about. They are very knowledgeable and patient.

Process

Reviewed Jan. 14, 2021

The home visit program is great! And the cash incentives for maintaining regular preventive doctor visits is outstanding. When I had a problem with misinformation regarding whether a doctor was in-network or not, AARP/United Healthcare corrected the situation.

Reviewed Jan. 14, 2021

I used to have a different insurance and it was supposed to pay 80% of covered expenses. It was absolutely horrible insurance and now I have the AARP insurance. They pay 80% except they pay more of the covered expenses or they have more covered expenses than the other company had. I recently had breast cancer and I had very little out-of-pocket money to pay. Awesome insurance. I would tell anyone. I would recommend it to anyone.

CoveragePriceReliability

Reviewed Jan. 13, 2021

AARP plan F covers virtually everything that Medicare doesn’t. We have no out of pocket expenses and we can go to any Doctor. The premium is low in comparison to other insurances. The company is reliable and always meets our expectations.

Reviewed Jan. 13, 2021

I have had this insurance for the past 3 years and they have been fantastic. I have had a hip replacement, cardio checkups, bilateral mastectomy and revision. All covered. I will not change my insurance, this coverage paid for me to be ambulances over 500 miles back to the hospital to have emergency surgery completed.

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Jan. 12, 2021

I can’t rate my carrier highly enough. Their customer service is superior! I have never had an issue they didn’t resolve completely and quickly. I have recommended them to all my friends and family and will continue to do so.

Reviewed Jan. 12, 2021

Unfortunately, if there is a problem and you need them to speak for you, forget about it. I had a practioner named Dr. Gary **, who arbitrarily raised my co-payment by $10.00. I asked him why he's violating his contract, and he said he's worth it. I didn't think so. I called UHC and asked them to do something. They did nothing.

Customer ServiceCoverageSales & Marketing

Reviewed Jan. 11, 2021

Well written documentation telling you exactly what the costs are and what you get for your money. No pressure sales calls or emails bothering you all day. Coverage fills the holes that Medicare does not cover.

Reviewed Jan. 11, 2021

Rx coverage is changing. Won’t pay for much anymore. Keep refusing coverage or increasing copay by a bunch. Would like to explore more options available to me. They must be affordable or I can’t get them.

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed Jan. 10, 2021

I have been more than pleased with my AARP Supplemental Insurance that I've had and used for the last eight years. In that time I had one issue with billing and the customer service rep and the provider facility were very professional in helping to resolve the issue to my satisfaction. I appreciate the written information that is sent out keeping you up to date on any new benefits for us.

Reviewed Jan. 10, 2021

I went through a broker who compared many plans and recommended this one. I do not support AARP, but this plan did offer what I needed for medical, prescriptions, and dental care. They offer both PPO and HMO plans.

Customer ServiceCoverageOnline & AppStaff

Reviewed Jan. 9, 2021

First off I must mention that no plan specific benefit material was mailed to me, just a simple explanation of what was covered, no help on how to actually use it or providers or pre-authorization requirements, nothing. Everything is supposed to be available on their website (NOT). I am a new member with over 20 years experience working with computers and apps. Their website is AWFUL! I have to sign in every time I choose a link, then there is no useful information anyway. I am told to contact customer service but after many calls and many "service" reps I realize that their reps are not trained on anything except inflicting customer frustration. The phone lines are so bad that you can barely understand anything on top of the English being spoken in a thick accent that also can be barely understood even if the phone lines were clear.

I asked for a supervisor once and got a horrid lady who was very condescending and wouldn't answer the questions I asked, simply redirected to answers I didn't need. I cannot begin to explain how I hate this company already. I will be looking at changing immediately. You just can't get any information no matter how hard you try.

Reviewed Jan. 9, 2021

Living in the metro-Miami area is expensive enough without medical insurance getting overcharged as sell. I can understand car insurance being higher but why medical? And (probably using the pandemic as an excuse) now in 2021 prices have jumped higher dramatically. It doesn't make any sense to even p/u the supplemental polices down here now because they've out-priced themselves so much, it makes more sense to just pay the co-pays.

Price

Reviewed Jan. 9, 2021

I switched from Blue Shield because their premiums kept rising significantly. AARP United Healthcare is cheaper for me now, although their discounts have declined significantly. They are quick to pay the bills.

AARP Medicare Supplemental Insurance Company Information