Find a Medicare Supplemental Insurance partner

Compare Medicare plans and pricing

Shop plans on Medicare.net

Get Started

About AARP Medicare Supplemental Insurance

AARP is a well-known company that offers supplemental health insurance for senior citizens looking to fill gaps in their Medicare coverage. The company offers eight Medicare plans through United Healthcare. This supplemental health coverage is available only to AARP members.

Compare Medicare plans and pricing

Shop plans on Medicare.net

Get Started

AARP Medicare Supplemental Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AARP Medicare Supplemental Insurance?

Original review: Jan. 11, 2021

Rx coverage is changing. Won’t pay for much anymore. Keep refusing coverage or increasing copay by a bunch. Would like to explore more options available to me. They must be affordable or I can’t get them.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

I have been more than pleased with my AARP Supplemental Insurance that I've had and used for the last eight years. In that time I had one issue with billing and the customer service rep and the provider facility were very professional in helping to resolve the issue to my satisfaction. I appreciate the written information that is sent out keeping you up to date on any new benefits for us.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

I went through a broker who compared many plans and recommended this one. I do not support AARP, but this plan did offer what I needed for medical, prescriptions, and dental care. They offer both PPO and HMO plans.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

First off I must mention that no plan specific benefit material was mailed to me, just a simple explanation of what was covered, no help on how to actually use it or providers or pre-authorization requirements, nothing. Everything is supposed to be available on their website (NOT). I am a new member with over 20 years experience working with computers and apps. Their website is AWFUL! I have to sign in every time I choose a link, then there is no useful information anyway. I am told to contact customer service but after many calls and many "service" reps I realize that their reps are not trained on anything except inflicting customer frustration. The phone lines are so bad that you can barely understand anything on top of the English being spoken in a thick accent that also can be barely understood even if the phone lines were clear.

I asked for a supervisor once and got a horrid lady who was very condescending and wouldn't answer the questions I asked, simply redirected to answers I didn't need. I cannot begin to explain how I hate this company already. I will be looking at changing immediately. You just can't get any information no matter how hard you try.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

Living in the metro-Miami area is expensive enough without medical insurance getting overcharged as sell. I can understand car insurance being higher but why medical? And (probably using the pandemic as an excuse) now in 2021 prices have jumped higher dramatically. It doesn't make any sense to even p/u the supplemental polices down here now because they've out-priced themselves so much, it makes more sense to just pay the co-pays.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

I switched from Blue Shield because their premiums kept rising significantly. AARP United Healthcare is cheaper for me now, although their discounts have declined significantly. They are quick to pay the bills.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

Generally a good policy. It covers what it was intended for: medical doctor office visits and related services, e.g., imaging, physical therapy, laboratory testing. If only, this coverage was available for the other health care services, such as, prescription drugs, dental and vision care. Most retirees did not intend to devote so much time and attention to selecting, enrolling and maintaining coverage with an ever-changing cast of multiple health insurance providers.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

AARP advisors helped me choose which plans were available to me and discussed each plan’s features and out of pocket costs. I appreciate the transparency and impartial way each plan was presented. Happy with my choice

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

After waiting forever on the phone you reach a generalist first tier associate who does not always give the right info. If transferred the second tier associate, they are not friendly or helpful. Their website is not very helpful either.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

I helped a family member research for supplement insurance and after looking over 5 companies found AARP was the best bang for the money. I can recommend this coverage to not only my friends but also to any of my family members.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2020

I was looking to schedule a surgery, only to find out that the Doctor was listed in-network but the hospital was not, so I would have to cover an extreme amount in order to have the surgery. I was calling for help & had the first person on the phone promise to send info that was never sent. The 2nd sent me the plan material book for 2021. The next took my number in case of a disconnection, & never called me back. The next tried to help me fix it without showing me the problem was the limitations on the physicians for the 2 hospitals that they allowed. I finally talked one man through it on how to look it all up, because he did not know what to do.

At this point I realized that I would never do this again. I do not rate this company anything more than a 1. They might show 43 Doctors available. But in the end the choices are really no more than a few. My primary care physician does not support the few that I was given in the end. Very deceitful in the advertising & extremely poor quality help available by phone. In the end I asked for help to use the 1 Doctor who was in their plan, but out of their plan to preform the surgery, & I was told, "Mam we don’t recommend that." What a horrible experience I just endured. I have not yet had the surgery. But it clearly looks as though they will offer “No Help” to accomplish this problem. I would tell everyone, do not waste your time or money on this insurance. Respectfully yours, Kathy **.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2020

AARP Medicare Rx. Pure unadulterated highway robbery. 2021 price increase:

** + 30%
** + 17%
** from $0 to $20

** +17%

Obviously, all my pension benefits, employers and SS, stay the same. Does anybody care?

Original review: Oct. 31, 2020

This company searches for any loophole to deny coverage. A large portion of a tooth broke off and the dentist said a crown was needed. The denial states "Your records must show large, active decay, fractured off portion of your tooth, or defective filling." They interpret the 'or' as though it is an 'and' in order to deny. Do not use this company.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

Steer clear of AARP Medicare UnitedHealthcare as they do not provide anything close to what they claim. Many false narratives regarding coverage but when you submit a claim they always deny processing. Many hidden rules and statements to get out of paying claims. Customer service is horrible. Calling for help is useless as they rarely know the answer to any questions and are unable to fix problems. Made the mistake of joining this year for the first time. As soon as open enrollment starts I am canceling this supplement. Don't get fooled in thinking they are going to support their clients!!!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

The reps are all very nice but you pretty much can't get anything done. They have an automatic survey you can opt into but, when you do, it only allows a review about 20% of the time. An estimated 90% of the time you're just disconnected.

Original review: June 22, 2020

I enrolled in AARP Medicare Advantage February, 2020. I had prior coverage with my husbands company from 2011-2020 and United Health Care sent me a notice saying I was charged a late penalty fee for not having coverage. Medicare shows in their website I had coverage all along. United Health care sent a form for my husband (who retired January 3, 2020) to take to his employer to fill out stating I had coverage. After 2 long phone calls to United health care and the forms filled out and mail to them, they could not find the form. Nobody in customer service know the left hand from the right. They sent a bill for $120.00 for late penalty and I am tired of dealing with it so I paid it. When enrollment comes we will look for a better plan, meds have gone out of site for people on Social Security.

Original review: April 8, 2020

AARP United Healthcare Medicare Supplemental Plan. The UHC plan has totally failed me in the Covid-19 crisis. My care was "decent" when I lived in Northern California. I had access to good PCPs and specialists when I needed them. Now, in New Mexico, the system has failed me. They contract with the lowest-cost, worst medical providers. I'd call them incompetent. In the last three days I've spent over 10 hours trying to get prescriptions refilled. My PCP won't respond, the Amwell telemedicine doctors refused to help me, and a local urgent care clinic that takes my plan similarly was useless.

In good times UHC's customer service is awful. The reps are uniformed and usually can't help with any problems. No doubt UHC, as a profit-grubbing company, hires people with no training or basic common sense for $8 an hour for their call centers. When I've raised concerns and complaints through their messaging system, I get useless, boilerplate responses or a notice of escalation to a higher layer of management. Nothing has ever come of it. I'm dumping them for Humana at the end of the month.

Original review: March 23, 2020

DO not take out healthcare supplement insurance from this company unless you enjoy getting the run around...One of their so called CS reps actually yawned in my ear when I was trying to speak to her about my Mother's claim. My mother was in hospital for 4 days and she actually passed away on the 4th day. In settling her affairs one thing I had to do was file a claim for the days she was in hospital with AARP. It pays $30 a day for the plan she had faithfully paid for 11 yrs! I sent in the claim forms I told them in my letter to make the check payable to me her representative there was to be no probate we had settled all her affairs over the past years so not to have probate. They sent out checks to an address that my sister had lived at but no longer lived at for over a year. And the checks were made to the Estate of.

Not only did they NOT read the letter I had included with my claim form, they completely disregarded the instructions we had given them by phone. If an attentive real estate agent had not forwarded these checks given to her by the lady who bought my sister's house, we would never have known. So I called again and they sent me a form called Last Debt form to be filled in, mailed back and the checks would be resent to my name so we can deposit them in my Mom's account to help settle her last affairs. BUT not checks came. Now it is February my mom passed in NOV 2019. I call again, they don't know why the checks were not reissued...etc. So they send yet again a Last Debt form it takes 10 days to arrive. I fill in and fax on Feb 24th. It is now March 23, nothing!

So I call again today...The first agent I spoke to told me the check was reissued and sent to the (WRONG ADDRESS) again. Then I insisted to speak to someone else. She tells me no the checks were reissued to My name and mailed to my address 10 days ago...so why have I not received these checks...I can drive to GA in 5 hrs yet it takes this long for 2 checks to arrive? Do not waste your money go with a company who listens to the customers who money they are operating on!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

Have been with AARP for many years with no problems, until - When moving out of State last year, we notified AARP with new contact info, and requested our insurance be transferred in total. We were told it would be done as requested. When picking up a prescription this weekend, I was told we had no Rx insurance, as the Bin # given had been cancelled - on or about the date of our move. Calling AARP today revealed that in addition to notifying AARP of the move, we should have also notified United Healthcare Rx of the move, which is contrary of my earlier conversation last year. Bottom line, I am out of luck and will have no prescription coverage until I can seek new coverage during Open Season. As our financial exposure is at risk, such coverage will of course, not be with AARP.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

Very bad after 3 days and 3 hours with different answers from everyone I spoke with that my syringes are covered but the copay is about 40% more than the across the counter cost. This is after talking to three other people before talking to a supervisor for almost 30 more minutes. VERY bad customer service.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

I didn’t get the right information about a insulin price TRESIBA. They told me that the price was $142.00 For 90 days supply but no one told me that I have a deductible to meet. They just want to sell me. So the price is over $600.00. So a feel like you ripped me off, I might have to go to social media to explain so some other people. Don’t get ripped off.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

This is the worse possible insurance company for seniors. This company pays for nothing. They expect seniors who are retired on a limited income to pay for large in office copays, treatments, services such as X-rays, Ultrasounds, blood tests. They are awful. To make matters worse, their Customer Service is filled with inept workers who know nothing and have no power or authority to help you. Please run from this company. Do not sign up. You are better off with another insurance company. In the end if you need help they will turn their back on you with no mercy!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

I was billed for 2 extra months Jan. and Feb. After I canceled during open enrollment for a different policy. They would not reimburse me for the 2 months. I tried several times to get the money. The policy didn't cover much for what it cost plus you needed an extra drug plan – more money out of pocket.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2019

I have had AARP UHC supplemental Plan N for 12 months. I have no issues with the company in regards to covering the medical expenses as outlined by Plan N. The bills are paid in a timely manner so I have never had to get involved. My issue is they were not transparent about their pricing when I initially signed up. I signed up at 65 and paid a premium that was a little lower than average compared to the other providers. However, I was not told that I was getting a 33% early enrollment discount where the discount decreases by 3% every year. This year my premium went up 20%. I am guaranteed it will continue to go up every year even if the plan price does not increase. Do your due diligence when looking for a provider. I am currently looking for a new provider. Thank goodness I am healthy and have this option. People with poor health do not have that option.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

Just called United Healthcare about a bill from 2018 that they only paid $.64 cents when my premium was around $107. a month. They kept telling me I had a co-pay that needed to be paid, so I owe $20.00 with a N Plan. I kept telling them I have never paid a co pay with Medicare and Supplemental AARP Insurance, being I had been seen by the orthopedic surgeon next door and he said both insurances would cancel each other out. I no longer have AARP Supplemental Insurance because I can't afford it. Buyer Beware If You are considering this Supplemental Insurance Plan. Never gave me an upfront answer so you can't reason with hurricane season so I guess I will have to pay the one and only bill that didn't cancel itself out.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

Very pricey due to cancer more than 5 years ago. I will never get out of the high bracket, even though I am cancer free. Otherwise, it is the standard plans dictated by Medicare.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

My mother was very pleased with AARP UnitedHealthcare during her Membership. However upon my mother's death and becoming executor of her estate in order to settle medical bills I called upon customer service. My only intent was to provide information so that I could obtain information in order to settle medical bills. Every time I called I was given a different fax number, different information and a different process for providing my executor paperwork. Upon asking for a manager to call me no return call was made.

Their total lack of respect for the situation that I was in upon losing my mother and trying to settle her affairs Has left me with serious doubts about Their competence and intentions. They have provided multiple incorrect fax numbers and I now have no idea where my information has been fax. Their so called attempts to protect privacy has invaded my privacy and put serious doubt at in my mind as to their intentions. Once again I have asked for a supervisor to call. They only need to listen to the recorded calls they are so fond of reminding you that you were on in order to settle this matter. Buyer beware.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

The plan that I have is excellent. There are no copays or deductibles and I have Never been denied coverage or gotten a bill for anything. I have never had to call customer service for any problems.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

Never used. Get 99.8% of my care through the VA. This Medicare Supplemental Insurance is lacking in many ways. I chose a Primary Care Physician and he was assigned to me or so I thought. So this year when I was in need of my civilian PCP I found out that my alleged PCP has NEVER been my PCP!! I might recommend this insurer to someone I dislike but not to anyone else. If you like getting correspondence like magazines with articles of "questionable value" then this is the organization for you. As I said I never used them because when I needed them it was going to be "find a new PCP to start" but I said the heck with that as I will be changing insurers in October.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

The coverage is excellent. The EOB are quickly reviewed from Medicare and paid promptly. We have no worries with deductibles or co-insurance. There are none. We have added up what our out of pocket expense would be without this supplement and the plan quickly pays for itself.

AARP Medicare Supplemental Insurance Company Information