Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Compare Quotes

AARP/Hartford Homeowners Insurance

AARP/Hartford Homeowners Insurance
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.59/5

The Hartford offers home and auto insurance. It not a verified InsuraMatch carrier, which backs the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. Call InsuraMatch today to find the best auto insurance for your needs.

Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Compare and Save - Protect Your Home

Compare Quotes

AARP/Hartford Homeowners Insurance Reviews

Original review: Nov. 28, 2019

This is the worst insurance company. They are completely corrupt. They target those of us who are retired. I have never had an insurance claim on any of my properties and they canceled my fully paid policy of $4,000.00 because I did not have a fire extinguisher. After submitting proof of the installation of the fire extinguisher they refused to reinstate the policy because they wanted emergency lighting, at the cost of $50,000.00 installed. They refuse to reimburse the prorated $2,000.00 policy premium I paid for which I am entitled. I have secured new insurance thru Travelers, a much better and more honorable company but dealing with the Hartford was a total time and emotional drain. Go elsewhere. They are the absolute worst.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

While my wife and I were watching TV a large section of my garage ceiling suddenly collapsed. In falling it damaged my large propane garage heater and damaged my garage fan. I took many detailed pictures and obtained two independent drywall repair contractors and submitted my claim to my Home-Owners insurance (thehardford). They denied my claim by stating that because the ceiling drywall was installed using drywall NAILS and not screws that ceiling drywall is fighting gravity and screws should have been used to secure the ceiling. My house is 31 years old and as then and as now, it is still 'Common Practice' to install all ceilings using drywall nails. My insurance review states explicitly that 'Sudden Collapse' IS covered by my policy. I have never heard of such a trumped-up excuse for denying a rightful claim. Am I being bullied because I am old and retired. Is there any course of action to obtain satisfaction?

Get expert buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 24, 2019

I had major kitchen damage from a leak. I had been getting ill with allergy symptoms but did not realize mold was under the floor, till various companies came to dry the floor out. When I contacted The Hartford, they had not added the Mold protection, that we had added on over 5 years earlier. That was fine, because 3 different contractors said the subfloor needed to come up, which meant cabinets came with it..

Long story short.. I went 10 months without being able to fully use my kitchen, before they would authorize the funds for contractors. Gave contractor a hard time and it's a wonder he did not pull away from the job we needed him to do. When the work finally got under way, the big box store we chose for the cabinets messed that up and 4 more months of no kitchen use.

I blame The Hartford for all of it, because they were not at all sympathetic, despite a supervisor one day admitting to me one of their people had dropped the ball.. What should have taken 3 to 4 mos tops, took a year.. The stress and health problems that resulted, to not just the people in the house but the pets as well, will never be recovered.

Original review: July 22, 2019

Don't be fooled by this company. Even though we purchased through AARP, the company increased their insurance rates to almost double what I found elsewhere. This was done through our lender, so we didn't notice until after several months.

Original review: June 18, 2019

August 6 2018 a documented hail storm damaged ten homes in my addition all of which were on both sides of my house and across the street. Impossible for my home not to be damaged. I filed a claim with Hartford and they sent out two appraisers, both of them stated my roof did not have any damage. This is almost impossible with all the damage that was done to other homes. Also when I changed insurance companies I found out the Hartford was over charging me $800.00 a year on my premium. Do not trust AARP claims of getting discounts for retired senior citizen. I am presently getting my own appraisal of my damage. DO NOT TRUST AARP!!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Hartford?

Original review: May 20, 2019

We signed up for homeowners and auto insurance. Homeowners didn't like a tree next to the house and our pellet stove, first I heard from them was an e-mail saying they were refunding our money so I called them. They said they were dropping us because of the tree and pellet stove. We were thinking of having the tree topped or even taken out, also Utah in the winter has bad inversions and a lot of red burn or no burn days, we were thinking of taking out the pellet stove. I think homeowners should've offered us say 90 days to correct these problems, we were going to do them anyway. They should not have dropped us. Anyway we dropped them along with auto. No we would not go back to them.

Original review: May 11, 2019

A maple tree, which was trimmed 2 weeks earlier, split and fell on the corner of the house. When I made the claim, they gave me the name of an Adjustor and damage inspector. Neither ever came to the home at any time. A third party damage inspector with little or no experience underestimated roof repairs by $3,000. They paid the tree removal company an obscene amount of money --- $6,900 for one tree. I had the roof, etc, repaired at my cost and have received no 'depreciation' payments. AARP should be ashamed endorsing this company.

Original review: May 6, 2019

Premium for Homeowners Insurance doubled, a $1,934 increase, because of one small claim. They sold me a Home Appliance warranty extra endorsement at additional cost, then after one small claim, increased my total premium to outrageous. Stay away from these crooks. AARP insurance is a ripoff.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

We have had the Hartford for about 6 years and I have been told the rates a good and now I know why! We had the water line to the refrigerator start leaking. It was a slow leak so the first sign was the floor started to cup. We discovered the leak and fix it. But the floor just kept getting worst. So I called the Hartford and they were very nice. They gave me names and numbers of all the people I would have to deal with. I had pictures of the damage and forwarded them to our claims guy and had a flooring company write an estimate for HARDWOOD flooring replacement.

So the first response was "that looks like laminate flooring". So immediately they called me and my flooring company liars. And of course I have been to a few different flooring companies. I have shown these pictures to a lot of flooring professionals. Not one of them had any doubt this is HARDWOOD flooring. So I get an email stating I will receive a check for about a third of the cost for the floor repair. Of course I am told this is just an initial payment as they work to make us happy.

I called and ask what kind of drugs they are taking and tell them they need to send someone out to verify their stupidity. And we now have a 3 inch rise in the floor because of the water expansion. This also is pushing against the walls. The adjuster comes out and stares at the floor, gets on his knees and takes pictures. Then states "well I can see how they could make that mistake". I wish I could add pictures because you can see the grove pushing out of the tongue and all wood no composite.

At one point they requested the flooring company to come out and cut a part of the floor out and mail it to them. Of course they denied this. Again calling the flooring company liars. But the adjuster ask for me to cut the floor so he could do this. Which I did and then finally he acknowledged this is HARDWOOD flooring. But I had some extra pieces left over from the original installation which I had shown him. And after questioning me if this was the same flooring and it is. He wanted to take a piece of this with him but when I cut the floor I asked how about taking the piece I cut out which had mold on it, he declined and wanted the new clean piece.

This is pre-finished hardwood flooring so the extra pieces are a perfect match for what is on the floor so this is a no brainer. We also have the original box the flooring comes in with the label. We showed this to the adjuster and he had taken a picture of it stating "PRE-FINISH GUNSTOCK OAK FLOORING 3/4 X 3 1/4". So I was surprised when I got a call and asked "Is this PRE-FINISHED flooring".

So being completely frustrated I called a supervisor at the Hartford claims department. (It doesn't get any better). My flooring company and all the others have informed me replacing the floor is the only solution and least expensive. Also you can't duplicate this finish in the home. So she has now said we will have someone come out and replace the bad spot and then sand the finish off the rest of the floor, re-stain and clear finish it. All my flooring people have had a good laugh. Stating "they can do a nice finish but nothing as good as a factory Aluminum Oxide Baked Finish". My flooring people have stated they have never had these problems with any other insurance company. I will continue this review as we try to move forward.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I inherited a house late 2017 in which I reside. Logically I received a cancellation notice in the prior owner's name in May 2018. I called the Hartford and set up a new policy and promptly paid for the year. A person was sent out to photograph and browse the house. I received multiple followup questionnaires about the house including roof, fireplace, etc. Now this mid-October, I received a policy cancellation.

Here is the direct wording: "The reason for cancellation is you do not qualify for coverage with our program due to the existing unrepaired damage to your property. A recent inspection of the property indicates that damages include: the tree limbs that overhang and touch the roof and siding on the home, and this renders you ineligible for coverage with our program." I was even required to join AARP to apply for The Hartford Insurance. I was never questioned or notified about the vegetation around the house. There are shrubs and trees that touch the house on the north and west sides but nothing over the roof. Definitely avoid this company.

AARP/Hartford Homeowners Insurance Company Information