AARP/Hartford Homeowners Insurance

AARP/Hartford Homeowners Insurance
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.71/5

The Hartford is the only AARP-approved insurance company. Its home insurance policies are flexible and provide multiple discount opportunities. While its quote process can be lengthy, its online claim filing and bundle options make it an affordable and savvy option for AARP members.

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Quotewizard

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Quotewizard

Get started

AARP/Hartford Homeowners Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AARP/Hartford Homeowners Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about AARP/Hartford Home Insurance?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

Best price for both Homeowners and Auto insurance. I saved quite a bit of money when I initially switched insurance companies. Good customer service. I've never had any problems with claims or adjusting insurance coverage. Would highly recommend. Must be over 50 and be a member of AARP.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2020

I called an agent to discuss AARP/Hartford homeowners insurance. The agent took my information about my house in Washington DC. All went well until the agent told me that Hartford would not insure a flat roof. I live on Capitol Hill. Almost every house on Capitol Hill has a flat roof. I would not touch this company with a 210 foot pole. See the other reviews. I don't understand why AARP would partner with this company. Wake up AARP. I'm an angry AARP member.

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2019

This is the worst insurance company. They are completely corrupt. They target those of us who are retired. I have never had an insurance claim on any of my properties and they canceled my fully paid policy of $4,000.00 because I did not have a fire extinguisher. After submitting proof of the installation of the fire extinguisher they refused to reinstate the policy because they wanted emergency lighting, at the cost of $50,000.00 installed. They refuse to reimburse the prorated $2,000.00 policy premium I paid for which I am entitled. I have secured new insurance thru Travelers, a much better and more honorable company but dealing with the Hartford was a total time and emotional drain. Go elsewhere. They are the absolute worst.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

While my wife and I were watching TV a large section of my garage ceiling suddenly collapsed. In falling it damaged my large propane garage heater and damaged my garage fan. I took many detailed pictures and obtained two independent drywall repair contractors and submitted my claim to my Home-Owners insurance (thehardford). They denied my claim by stating that because the ceiling drywall was installed using drywall NAILS and not screws that ceiling drywall is fighting gravity and screws should have been used to secure the ceiling. My house is 31 years old and as then and as now, it is still 'Common Practice' to install all ceilings using drywall nails. My insurance review states explicitly that 'Sudden Collapse' IS covered by my policy. I have never heard of such a trumped-up excuse for denying a rightful claim. Am I being bullied because I am old and retired. Is there any course of action to obtain satisfaction?

Original review: July 24, 2019

I had major kitchen damage from a leak. I had been getting ill with allergy symptoms but did not realize mold was under the floor, till various companies came to dry the floor out. When I contacted The Hartford, they had not added the Mold protection, that we had added on over 5 years earlier. That was fine, because 3 different contractors said the subfloor needed to come up, which meant cabinets came with it..

Long story short.. I went 10 months without being able to fully use my kitchen, before they would authorize the funds for contractors. Gave contractor a hard time and it's a wonder he did not pull away from the job we needed him to do. When the work finally got under way, the big box store we chose for the cabinets messed that up and 4 more months of no kitchen use.

I blame The Hartford for all of it, because they were not at all sympathetic, despite a supervisor one day admitting to me one of their people had dropped the ball.. What should have taken 3 to 4 mos tops, took a year.. The stress and health problems that resulted, to not just the people in the house but the pets as well, will never be recovered.

Original review: July 22, 2019

Don't be fooled by this company. Even though we purchased through AARP, the company increased their insurance rates to almost double what I found elsewhere. This was done through our lender, so we didn't notice until after several months.

Original review: June 18, 2019

August 6 2018 a documented hail storm damaged ten homes in my addition all of which were on both sides of my house and across the street. Impossible for my home not to be damaged. I filed a claim with Hartford and they sent out two appraisers, both of them stated my roof did not have any damage. This is almost impossible with all the damage that was done to other homes. Also when I changed insurance companies I found out the Hartford was over charging me $800.00 a year on my premium. Do not trust AARP claims of getting discounts for retired senior citizen. I am presently getting my own appraisal of my damage. DO NOT TRUST AARP!!!!

Original review: May 20, 2019

We signed up for homeowners and auto insurance. Homeowners didn't like a tree next to the house and our pellet stove, first I heard from them was an e-mail saying they were refunding our money so I called them. They said they were dropping us because of the tree and pellet stove. We were thinking of having the tree topped or even taken out, also Utah in the winter has bad inversions and a lot of red burn or no burn days, we were thinking of taking out the pellet stove. I think homeowners should've offered us say 90 days to correct these problems, we were going to do them anyway. They should not have dropped us. Anyway we dropped them along with auto. No we would not go back to them.

Original review: May 11, 2019

A maple tree, which was trimmed 2 weeks earlier, split and fell on the corner of the house. When I made the claim, they gave me the name of an Adjustor and damage inspector. Neither ever came to the home at any time. A third party damage inspector with little or no experience underestimated roof repairs by $3,000. They paid the tree removal company an obscene amount of money --- $6,900 for one tree. I had the roof, etc, repaired at my cost and have received no 'depreciation' payments. AARP should be ashamed endorsing this company.

Original review: May 6, 2019

Premium for Homeowners Insurance doubled, a $1,934 increase, because of one small claim. They sold me a Home Appliance warranty extra endorsement at additional cost, then after one small claim, increased my total premium to outrageous. Stay away from these crooks. AARP insurance is a ripoff.

AARP/Hartford Homeowners Insurance Company Information