AARP/Hartford Homeowners Insurance

Compare Homeowners Insurance Companies

Research top Homeowners Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

My 82 year old mom has been trying to get roof leak repaired, which has been evident for months. Ceiling in living room has hole in from repair persons who said the leak on roof was due to gutter issue. After spending an hour on phone and 4 different persons, I was told it was due to normal wear and tear. No way and it's not gutters. The repair persons ripped my mother off and a lawsuit is pending if it is not remedied this month. Still not fixed. Contractors are a joke.

Last year spring of 2015 I sign on with them because of the deductible being low. I had two claims within a year and paid extra for what was fix because the fixes were higher than the amount sent to men and with my $500 deductible. My cost of my insurance went up. I wanted to go with another company to lower my cost. But no one would take me because of the two claims. This year I had to do another claim which I paid more out of pocket than my $500 deductible.

A month later I had another roof leak from the same spot that was fixed last year. They would not do anything until I found the invoice. They said will send me $200 to fix it which took three months to get claim. The wall got worse. This got me very upset and that I would have to pay the $500 deductible. They are a ripped off company. I hate them. I wouldn't go with them. Being with AARP has screw me in other things. I am very stressed out. I now have to see a psychiatrist because of the stress.

After initial reasonable rates on both home and car insurance, and for a few years following, I was given, with no reasonable explanation, an increase of 28% on homeowners last year which I ended up paying. This year it was an increase of 30% on car followed by another increase on homeowners of 34%. I paid the bill for car insurance because after comparing rates from other companies, the savings wasn't enough to justify changing and losing the discount for having both with AARP/Hartford. When the homeowners came however, it ticked me off so bad I did change to another company for a savings of 27% less, even with no multi-policy discount. I suspect I'll be changing the car next time also.

Forget any other discounts with companies selling through AARP also. The same thing happened with exterior water line breakage coverage with a company through AARP. Last year it was $66, this year it was raised to $96, a 45% increase. When I called to ask why, I was given a blah, blah, blah explanation and then asked if there was anything else they could help me with. When I replied not unless they could lower the rate, I was then offered a 20% discount if I paid over the phone then and there. I didn't take it because it threw up a red flag on their ethics and makes me wonder what kind of response I'd get if I ever needed their services.

I live in Yucaipa California and never had one claim until my water heater blew two weeks ago and flooded our spare bedroom. Hartford AARP denied the claim saying it was a leak over time and it was not covered. I have been investigating and it seems they decline almost all claims. I would strongly suggest finding another insurance company. They only take the money, (THEY NEVER GIVE ANY BACK), and it's sad because I am a 100% disabled Vet and I live on a fixed income.

Changed to Hartford insurance 2 years ago. Always paid policy in full when it was due. Call to have endorsement put on policy and sent to mortgage company. At that time there was nothing said about I would be charged. Next thing I know getting a bill for $42.00 for admin. fee. Called them, said that was a fee for filling out paperwork. One sheet of paper 42.00. Can't believe it. I wonder why insurance companies are so rich. Did not pay at that time.

Next thing I know they sent email stating if not paid they were going to cancel my policy, which I had already paid in full. Call them, said it didn't matter if I had paid them in full, if the 42.00 was not paid by within 2 weeks my policy would be cancelled. Then when I told them I would pay it over the phone she told me it would be 52.00. When I ask what the extra 10.00 was for she said that they had sent me 2 paper bills. Never received paper bills. All transactions are done by email. When I told her that she said "Let me check" and came back and said "Oh that is right." So beware when you are dealing with hartford.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Hartford?

My wife and I have been with AARP The Hartford for our home and auto insurance for many years. Their rates, up until now, have been very competitive and their phone customer service in servicing our policy has been excellent. However we recently had three claims with them. Two were on my car. One was an accident which required me to supply them the same information four different times. They kept having computer errors requiring me to resubmit a lengthy set of answers. They paid the claim correctly. The second car claim was hail damage which they handled well. The third claim was on our house for the same hail storm that damaged our car. We had multiple contractors verify hail damage.

Several of our neighbors had new roofs put on due to this storm. I could visually see divots in the shingles. Hartford said there was hail damage to some flashing and gutters (and obviously to my car which was in the driveway) but miraculously my roof was spared damage. We contested. Their only accepted process was for them to hire a forensic engineer who inspected the roof and, surprise, agreed with the company that was paying their bill. We asked for an independent inspector and they refused. Low cost insurance is not all that good if you can't get them to honor their agreed to coverage.

Signed with Hartford Auto/Home via my AARP membership. Although I was set up for auto-pay for both accounts (Auto/Home), I paid my account a day early to avoid overdrawing on my accounts. I was assured by the site that $0.00 would be taken out of my account the next day for the auto-pays. Received email confirmation of both payments and the site posted both payments. The next morning, much to my surprise and disappointment the Hartford had doubled dipped and gone ahead run the auto pay and caused my account to go over. Hartford Customer Service was totally useless and stuck on the usual mumbo jumbo corporate baloney feed to the masses about how it was not their fault. Bottom line Insurance companies, Hartford in this case, both nickle and dime us and feed us corporate mumbo jumbo just to feed their greed. They do not have our interests at heart. Words to follow... Buyer Beware.

We purchased our house in February 2016. We had the home inspected prior to closing, and there was no damage to our roof or siding. In April 2016, hailstorms damaged homes in our neighborhood, including ours. We filed a claim along with several of our neighbors. Our neighbors claims, with insurance companies who were not The Hartford, were approved. Ours is being denied. Our Hartford rep is telling us there is no proof that there was a hailstorm in the area on the dates in question. Clearly, there was, as two other insurance companies in our neighborhood have approved claims for repairs due to hail damage. Why is it that the Hartford cannot? I am at the point right now where I am ready to cancel ALL of my coverage with the Hartford. My confidence in the Hartford is ZERO. The reps at Hartford should contact these other insurance companies, who CLEARLY were able to find the proof required to validate my neighbors claims.

Astonished to call five times for information related to confirming details of a quote for Homeowners. No one knows yet what or why under "Optional Coverages and Special Discounts" - known as Unit Own Bldg Spec Gov at $41. I asked and have yet to get one broker who knows what this is. The last one insisted something was wrong with me for asking, that it was "just" something connected to the Dwelling coverage. On hold five minutes - she came back with "I'll try to explain this to you to make it easier for you" - wow. All I wanted to know: what is the additional $41 for? Then, to sweeten the deal, she hung up. Not at all impressed by the call center staff - I can't quite comprehend how a company could dismiss questions about what they put in writing? Be careful to ask questions!

Something very strange is going on with Hartford. 3 weeks into my new coverage, pushed/partnered by AARP, I received a cancellation notice based upon a 3-minute outside inspection. I was not given an opportunity to make any repairs or changes, and most of the reasons stated on the letter were grossly inaccurate or downright false. Calling them on the phone is a test of patience, as you simply cannot speak with a person who can do anything other than "parrot company policy." A completely reprehensible situation where they can make a decision, based on less than accurate info, and I can't even show them that there are mistakes in the "facts" they used to cancel my policy. I have since re-upped with my former company, for both homeowners and auto (it does me a small amount of pleasure to cancel the auto insurance we got through AARP as my retaliation).

Been using Hartford for years, no claims. Then why did I receive a notice of "nonrenewal". Insurance companies evaluate the risk, then charge you (too much) to cover that risk, but seldom do they hold the insurance liability. They sell it to a reinsurer. Hartford prides itself on low rates. If they have to raise your rate, then their average rate across the board goes up, then they lose that false advertising claim of lowest rates. Thus after years, they've decided that this neighborhood (actually the state of California) poses wildfire risk (though that is bogus in my neighborhood) so they drop clients in order to maintain misleading ads (some even suggest that they don't do nonrenewals in most situations). OK. So we're stuck with a banana republic, lightly regulated (the state board is owned by the insurance companies) company. If you can save a few dollars by going with the Hartford, don't. It's too risky for you.

Since having my home placed in my trust The Hartford is charging $32.00 a year - for doing nothing. I checked with other insurance carriers and one in particularly said they should be giving a credit for my being good with my money (property) and knows of no other insurance carrier who charges a customer because of their home being in a trust.

Cancelled policy due to missed payment. Policy was reinstated and then dropped by a higher manager. 35 years of no issues, payment in full, on time and then this. My parents are in their 80's and there was a mix up on the auto and homeowners policies. Hartford claimed this was due to having so many issues in Nevada and wanting to cut their losses. We received a renewal and a number for the confirmation that the policy was in fact good again but now the upper manager of the individual that was willing to help stepped and dropped the policy. The payment was made in good faith and accepted. This is why I detest insurance companies. Pay the bill or else. I'm not asking for special treatment but one issue with a payment after 30 years and then this? Looking elsewhere for this and then three other homes they have. Hartford is Heartless.

Lowest price with same coverage as from others by $100's. I've had one claim and they approved and paid it within 5 business days. Customer Service from The Hartford is excellent. They take the time to fully explain your policy and coverage when you have any questions.

AARP Hartford has always been there for me, the homeowner. Their agents, in my honest opinion, have ALWAYS been professional and courteous. I would HIGHLY recommend any senior citizen to look this company up. Not only professional and courteous but understanding. I have had other homeowner's insurance that ONLY wanted their premiums.

To cite an examples: Before installing a brick wall around my home, I had a wooden fence surrounding my yard. There happened to be a severe wind storm that caused it to fall down. When calling this old company, I was rudely told "You should have replaced it with something more sturdy." If one was on limited funds, replacement is not an option. Finally, they were going to not insure my home unless the paint around the bottom of the roof (facia) was repainted. Again: no MONEY, no Painting. I feel the bigger the company, the more they tend to gouge the homeowner.

I received a ticket for 5 miles an hour over in May of 2013 and my insurance went up $10.00 per month. Ok I get that. Two years later I got a ticket for 6 miles an hour over. I expected a rate increase. The rate increase was $37.00 per month, or a 30% rate increase. These rates stay on my insurance record for 5 years. The Washington State DMV record only stays on for 3 years. I have never had a late payment or filed a claim. I purchased this insurance because AARP recommended it. The insurance company rep told me that there was a price increase for the west coast due to a high rate of claims. Wow... I have never had a rate increase of this magnitude on any service I pay for. BEWARE!!!

No interaction with the insurance co other than purchasing. They seem like a good company with aarp. I have had no claims.

Never had a problem with them. They always answer any questions and the price is good. Also have auto insurance with the same company. Always get a new copy of the policy each year and any updates.

Joined AARP when I turned 50 and decided to try out their insurance for both auto and home. The rates were reasonable at the beginning but then the car insurance rate went way up (no violations on our part) and I decide on switching to another company. Lo and behold, the homeowners insurance went up over 20% because we did that. Needless to say, I won't be renewing the homeowners insurance either when the time comes around.

Very dependable, reliable, and trustworthy. Always pleasant and affordable. They were all so much for the cause of making our insurance correct. There was no hidden fees and no umbrella issues. It took us a while to find the right one and when we did, we were so happy.

3 weeks into my new coverage, pushed/partnered by AARP, I received a cancellation notice based upon a 3 minute outside inspection. I was not given an opportunity to make any repairs or changes, and most of the reasons stated on the letter were grossly inaccurate or downright false. Calling them on the phone is a test of patience, as you simply cannot speak with a person who can do anything other than "parrot company policy". A completely reprehensible situation where they can make a decision, based on less than accurate info, and I can't even show them that there are mistakes in the "facts" they used to cancel my policy. I have since re-upped with my former company, for both homeowners and auto (it does me a small amount of pleasure to cancel the auto insurance we got through AARP as my retaliation).

Always notified of increased costs promptly. When I filed a claim they have handled it promptly and professionally. The company updated the progress of them claim continuously. All members of the team I spoke to are courteous, respectful and knowledgeable. I will renew my policy with them. Their pricing is very reasonable.

I like what they offer and how they help the customers. They help many customers with everything they need. They have many branches out so they can help so many customers.

I have never had to file a claim on this insurance. However, they are very friendly to work with in regards to payments and changes to the policy. I would recommend this insurance company purely due to their customer service. I get a bundled policy price for having auto insurance as well as homeowners insurance with them. This saves me quite a bit of money each year which makes me very happy. I also like the ability to pay the annual premium on a monthly basis. It is taken directly from my checking account so I don't have to worry about it being paid on time.

This company is great and affordable. I even have flood ins. for pennies a day. I would recommend this company to everyone that is not sure which one to choose. Everything in my house and backyard is full covered.

AARP/Hartford provide comprehensive homeowners insurance and condo owners insurance at very reasonable prices. There is customer service assistance available by calling a toll-free number 24/7. If you have any questions regarding the exact policy coverages, the customer service agents are there to help.

I have never had to file a claim but am overall satisfied with this company. Foremost if insurance name that was referred to by AARP. I have never used any other company. This is for mobile home owners.

They are always there when I need them. They never have any unknown charges like most other places do. I am currently happy with my choice. They to me are the best at what they do and are getting better every time.

AARP foremost is for people who live in mobile homes and they are not a high cost insurance company. And each month they take the payment directly out of my checking. It does not change in the amount, stays the same each month for the last 6 years. You can call them or use a computer to do business with them.

Received a letter from Hartford Insurance that a railing needed to be installed on the side porch of home or insurance would be canceled. Called Hartford because of concern that time frame given was going to be tight. Was told that as long as work was done prior to cancelation date that all would be fine. Got contractor to give bid which we immediately sent to Hartford to let them know we were going to comply with their requirements.

Contractor finished work as quickly as possible…bill was over $1,000. Sent pictures to Harford to show work was completed two weeks before cancelation date. Got letter from Hartford stating we just did not get work done quickly enough and after 35 years of business with them that they would cancel the policy and to not apply to them again. Numerous calls to Hartford all lead to the same response...a decision had been made and could not/would not be reviewed.

At nearly 90 years old am forced to find a new insurance company. This company is sponsored by AARP but when contacting AARP they simply say we do not get involved with companies we sponsor. A black eye for AARP and a very sad statement for Hartford Insurance. If you are over 50 would be very leery of doing any kind of business with this insurance company! 35 years of business and then this type of treatment towards the elderly speaks volumes about this company. Don't you think?

AARP/Hartford Homeowners Insurance Company Profile