AARP/Hartford Homeowners Insurance

AARP/Hartford Homeowners Insurance
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.71/5

The Hartford is the only AARP-approved insurance company. Its home insurance policies are flexible and provide multiple discount opportunities. While its quote process can be lengthy, its online claim filing and bundle options make it an affordable and savvy option for AARP members.

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Quotewizard

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Quotewizard

Get started

AARP/Hartford Homeowners Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AARP/Hartford Homeowners Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about AARP/Hartford Home Insurance?

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

We have had the Hartford for about 6 years and I have been told the rates a good and now I know why! We had the water line to the refrigerator start leaking. It was a slow leak so the first sign was the floor started to cup. We discovered the leak and fix it. But the floor just kept getting worst. So I called the Hartford and they were very nice. They gave me names and numbers of all the people I would have to deal with. I had pictures of the damage and forwarded them to our claims guy and had a flooring company write an estimate for HARDWOOD flooring replacement.

So the first response was "that looks like laminate flooring". So immediately they called me and my flooring company liars. And of course I have been to a few different flooring companies. I have shown these pictures to a lot of flooring professionals. Not one of them had any doubt this is HARDWOOD flooring. So I get an email stating I will receive a check for about a third of the cost for the floor repair. Of course I am told this is just an initial payment as they work to make us happy.

I called and ask what kind of drugs they are taking and tell them they need to send someone out to verify their stupidity. And we now have a 3 inch rise in the floor because of the water expansion. This also is pushing against the walls. The adjuster comes out and stares at the floor, gets on his knees and takes pictures. Then states "well I can see how they could make that mistake". I wish I could add pictures because you can see the grove pushing out of the tongue and all wood no composite.

At one point they requested the flooring company to come out and cut a part of the floor out and mail it to them. Of course they denied this. Again calling the flooring company liars. But the adjuster ask for me to cut the floor so he could do this. Which I did and then finally he acknowledged this is HARDWOOD flooring. But I had some extra pieces left over from the original installation which I had shown him. And after questioning me if this was the same flooring and it is. He wanted to take a piece of this with him but when I cut the floor I asked how about taking the piece I cut out which had mold on it, he declined and wanted the new clean piece.

This is pre-finished hardwood flooring so the extra pieces are a perfect match for what is on the floor so this is a no brainer. We also have the original box the flooring comes in with the label. We showed this to the adjuster and he had taken a picture of it stating "PRE-FINISH GUNSTOCK OAK FLOORING 3/4 X 3 1/4". So I was surprised when I got a call and asked "Is this PRE-FINISHED flooring".

So being completely frustrated I called a supervisor at the Hartford claims department. (It doesn't get any better). My flooring company and all the others have informed me replacing the floor is the only solution and least expensive. Also you can't duplicate this finish in the home. So she has now said we will have someone come out and replace the bad spot and then sand the finish off the rest of the floor, re-stain and clear finish it. All my flooring people have had a good laugh. Stating "they can do a nice finish but nothing as good as a factory Aluminum Oxide Baked Finish". My flooring people have stated they have never had these problems with any other insurance company. I will continue this review as we try to move forward.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I inherited a house late 2017 in which I reside. Logically I received a cancellation notice in the prior owner's name in May 2018. I called the Hartford and set up a new policy and promptly paid for the year. A person was sent out to photograph and browse the house. I received multiple followup questionnaires about the house including roof, fireplace, etc. Now this mid-October, I received a policy cancellation.

Here is the direct wording: "The reason for cancellation is you do not qualify for coverage with our program due to the existing unrepaired damage to your property. A recent inspection of the property indicates that damages include: the tree limbs that overhang and touch the roof and siding on the home, and this renders you ineligible for coverage with our program." I was even required to join AARP to apply for The Hartford Insurance. I was never questioned or notified about the vegetation around the house. There are shrubs and trees that touch the house on the north and west sides but nothing over the roof. Definitely avoid this company.

Original review: July 23, 2018

This has been on my mind for quite a while now, and I feel the need to share this so that no one else gets bitten and loses thousands of dollars as I did. I also know some other folks that have lost on the same thing as I did. This pertains to anyone that has an HO6 Home Insurance Policy with "The Hartford". Please look through your policy documents for a "Loss Assessment Coverage Endorsement - HO04 35 10. When you bought your HO6 policy you had options coverage. The one I am referring to is an increase in "Loss Assessment Coverage". In my case I took an increase of $10,000 giving me a total of $11,000 loss assessment coverage. This cost me an additional $7.00 in my annual premium.

I have been with Hartford for well over 20 years, and never filed a claim for loss assessment until a hail storm occurred on July 28, 2016, and I was assessed an amount of $6857.00 from the homeowners association for the damage of this hail storm. I filed a claim with Hartford and was denied all but $1000.00. The reason they claim is because it was due to a deductible of the homeowner’s insurance policy as stated in the above endorsement that is all I will get. What really makes this interesting is I looked through all my policy documents that I had including the electronic file that Hartford encouraged me to do to save paper, and there was no such endorsement in any of my documents.

So Hartford ripped me off for $5857.00. I tried many ways including going through my State Insurance Agency, and Hartford would not budge. When I took out a policy on my new patio home with Hartford, I went through the policy documents and that endorsement was in the documents. My contention is that the endorsement came out sometime while I had my policy in force but Hartford never notified me, or I would have canceled my policy immediately. I definitely would recommend canceling any HO6 Insurance Policy that you may have with Hartford, because you will get ripped off by them with regard to "Loss Assessment Coverage".

I won't go into detail, but I got ripped off on another loss assessment claim for $1800, and was only paid $645.96 because they ruled out so many things they did not consider loss assessments. I am through with The Hartford, and will not renew my AARP dues because they say in their advertisements" "Worlds most ETHICAL Company by Ethisphere Institute". Ethical? NO WAY is The Hartford Ethical. If I could afford a lawyer I would consider bringing a lawsuit against Hartford. But as the saying goes “You can’t fight big corporations” and I have come to believe that quote.

Original review: July 10, 2018

Every year we have had an increase and this year finally did it for me. Never had a claim in 25 years with Hartford and this year it went up 28%. This is crazy, if we had several or any claims it would be different but still a big raise with NO claims??? And when I called I got the same programmed people telling me that I did not understand and yet I know how it works about helping to pay for others who have claims... WOW, of course we understand how it works so DO NOT talk down to me. We do not need you to tell us how to vote or get into social issues... I have contacted another major insurance co. and saved $200 with better coverage. AARP was very good. I am sorry you are over the top now.

Original review: June 29, 2018

I am terribly dissatisfied with AARP. I am now looking for an insurance company that is more interested in the customer than the money. I have been insured with AARP for about 20 years because I was told that they were reasonably priced for senior people. That is the biggest lie I have ever been told. We have had our current home for 11 years now. Our insurance premium has tripled since we bought our home bank in 2007. AARP says it is because of the rising costs of rebuilding. That is a load of crap. Our insurance went up by over $900 in one year. We can no longer to afford to live in our home because of these thieves. We are shopping for insurance that is reasonably priced, and we have found at least three that are recommended. Moral learned is don't use AARP.

Original review: May 14, 2018

Both my parents died within 9 months of each other. I was handling all their affairs. When I received the bill for homeowners insurance I called to pay them, their response was that it was too late to pay and I should look for another insurance because they don't cover that area any longer... in English they suck. No compassion. If I could give them a 0 I would. Just a shame that AARP name is connected to them.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

Customer service for the initial application was great. All my questions were answered in one phone call and the quote was reasonable for home coverage. I am happy with their home insurance policy. The only reason I deducted a star for value was because I would have liked to bundle a policy with my car but Hartford's auto policy for my car was more than what I am currently paying for the same coverage with another company.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

We're very disappointed! My father who is a senior (50+) was denied homeowners' insurance through AARP because our home is considered "too rural". Our house is located on a state road. They denied us quickly after asking very few questions.

Original review: July 24, 2017

Due to ending up in a nursing home for now and didn't get my bill paid in time after being a long term customer, never had a claim and never was late with the payment. I have had my policy cancelled and you won’t reinstate my policy. I think this is very poor customer service and I think AARP should give you the boot. AARP being there to help elderly.

Original review: May 17, 2017

My experience is identical to Henry's in Santa Rosa on 4/16/17. Been customer since 1999. On 5/2016 Homeowners increased 20%, on 5/2017 another 30%, total 50% in 2 years. Hartford manager blames it on construction costs and increase in claims in WA State... We have no hurricanes, typhoons, and we don't live in a flood plain. Never had a claim, nothing has changed for18 years. Very irritated that Hartford can treat their loyal senior citizens this way. Scared to see Auto insurance next month. Will have to start long process of looking for another company. Who was the competitor Henry found?

AARP/Hartford Homeowners Insurance Company Information