1.63/5
Based on 108 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

AARP/Hartford Homeowners Insurance

The Hartford offers home and auto insurance. It not a verified InsuraMatch carrier, which backs the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. Call InsuraMatch today to find the best auto insurance for your needs.

128 AARP/Hartford Homeowners Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 3, 2015

I like what they offer and how they help the customers. They help many customers with everything they need. They have many branches out so they can help so many customers.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2015

I have never had to file a claim on this insurance. However, they are very friendly to work with in regards to payments and changes to the policy. I would recommend this insurance company purely due to their customer service. I get a bundled policy price for having auto insurance as well as homeowners insurance with them. This saves me quite a bit of money each year which makes me very happy. I also like the ability to pay the annual premium on a monthly basis. It is taken directly from my checking account so I don't have to worry about it being paid on time.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2015

This company is great and affordable. I even have flood ins. for pennies a day. I would recommend this company to everyone that is not sure which one to choose. Everything in my house and backyard is full covered.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2015

AARP/Hartford provide comprehensive homeowners insurance and condo owners insurance at very reasonable prices. There is customer service assistance available by calling a toll-free number 24/7. If you have any questions regarding the exact policy coverages, the customer service agents are there to help.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2015

I have never had to file a claim but am overall satisfied with this company. Foremost if insurance name that was referred to by AARP. I have never used any other company. This is for mobile home owners.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Hartford?

Original review: Oct. 24, 2015

They are always there when I need them. They never have any unknown charges like most other places do. I am currently happy with my choice. They to me are the best at what they do and are getting better every time.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2015

AARP foremost is for people who live in mobile homes and they are not a high cost insurance company. And each month they take the payment directly out of my checking. It does not change in the amount, stays the same each month for the last 6 years. You can call them or use a computer to do business with them.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2015

Received a letter from Hartford Insurance that a railing needed to be installed on the side porch of home or insurance would be canceled. Called Hartford because of concern that time frame given was going to be tight. Was told that as long as work was done prior to cancelation date that all would be fine. Got contractor to give bid which we immediately sent to Hartford to let them know we were going to comply with their requirements.

Contractor finished work as quickly as possible…bill was over $1,000. Sent pictures to Harford to show work was completed two weeks before cancelation date. Got letter from Hartford stating we just did not get work done quickly enough and after 35 years of business with them that they would cancel the policy and to not apply to them again. Numerous calls to Hartford all lead to the same response...a decision had been made and could not/would not be reviewed.

At nearly 90 years old am forced to find a new insurance company. This company is sponsored by AARP but when contacting AARP they simply say we do not get involved with companies we sponsor. A black eye for AARP and a very sad statement for Hartford Insurance. If you are over 50 would be very leery of doing any kind of business with this insurance company! 35 years of business and then this type of treatment towards the elderly speaks volumes about this company. Don't you think?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2015

We experienced a roof leak in our home due to an historic storm in Paso Robles on July 19th. This caused ceiling damage and rug damage. Have been battling with Hartford with weeks to get reimbursement for damages. First they only paid a fraction of the cost to repair the roof. They paid for 2 broken tiles to the roof when in fact the "proximate" cause of the problem was the roof underlayment became so saturated it failed and caused the leak. I had two roofers advise that was the issue not the broken tiles. Hartford wants to "clean" the carpet despite the fact I have submitted two separate recommendations that the rug be replaced because cleaning won't fix the problem.

They are insisting I have to clean the carpet before they would consider replacing the carpet. Totally illogical to me to clean a carpet when two independent contractors have advised it should be replaced. They send some $$ towards the damage with no clear explanation what the $$ are for and how they calculated the amount. Wish I had known that Hartford is in the top FIVE insurance companies known to operate in BAD Faith before I purchased this policy. AARP members should be alerted to this and AARP should find a better insurance company to partner with for insurance needs of their members.

Original review: July 23, 2015

A few years ago my husband, who handled all of our bills, became very ill and was incapacitated for a very long time. While he was hospitalized, I called our homeowners Hartford Insurance (sponsored be AARP) to inquire about coverage of damage to our property. To my chagrin, I was informed that our home had not been insured for over a year. They also refuses to reinstate us. I inquired by phone as well as by letter why we were not notified re: premium payments which we had always paid in full. There was no response. I also sent a copy of my correspondence to AARP who also was unresponsive. I will never forget the horror I felt knowing that our most valuable possession, our home, was in such jeopardy. I then called another insurance company who immediately insured our home, as well as our vehicles for much LESS than we were paying to Hartford.

Original review: July 23, 2015

South New Jersey had a bad storm back in June 2015, with no electric for 2 days and severe property damage. My father had been paying this insurance company AARP for them to tell him that once they take the deductible out, he will receive a $5.00 check. Trees, roof and fence and other items that blown away from the strong winds.

Original review: July 22, 2015

We arrived home that evening to discover damage to our home while we were away. Our yard was covered in a great amount of debris... leaves, small limbs, visible cracks and holes to our siding, our large flag pole snapped off and laying in our yard. I immediately called The Hartford to file a claim and to schedule an adjuster to come out to assess the damage. The following week the Hartford adjuster showed up (with his shirt on inside out by the way) to appraise the situation. He had already made sure our contractor knew who was boss by letting him know that he did NOT have to inform our contractor when he was coming, but that he was doing it as a courtesy call.

After his initial evaluation he determined that he needed to get an engineer here to assess the roof as he wasn't quite sure (even though he told me he had been doing this for 15 years.) An independent engineering firm was hired by the Hartford adjuster (and paid for by The Hartford) to come out and assess my roof. Both our contractor and one of his assistants felt certain that we have hail damage and were totally baffled as to how the Hartford Adjuster and Donan Engineering have come to the conclusion that we have no damage to the roof.

I might add that EVERY home surrounding us has or will be receiving new roofs. This includes both homes to our immediate right and left, behind us and directly across the street. Several others in our neighborhood and the neighborhoods immediately behind and next to us are getting roof replacements as well. In all practicality, how is it possible that JUST our house while also sustaining siding damage was able to avoid damage to the roof?? Do we have a special dome???

As a side note, we were apologized to several times in the manner of how our claim has been handled. Our claim initially was sent to the wrong department, then I was given an incorrect phone number that I had to follow up on, the curtness of the Hartford adjuster and his unprofessional appearance. Obviously there is an issue with our adjuster. Our Hartford claim representative, stated that we would have our reports promptly. It took four weeks to receive the written assessment for our claim and the engineering report from Donan engineering regarding our roof. I was under the impression that the AARP Homeowners Insurance Program stands behind it promise to go the extra mile and exceed my claim service expectations. It is sad to see that these expectations has not been met.

To assess the validity of the Donan Engineering report on my roof, I paid $500.00 to have had another inspection of my roof by a HIAAG Certified Roof Inspector from the Claims Assistance Team. The detailed report provided by the Claims Assistance Team on my home identified that not only does my roof have hail damage, but the assessment of overall damage costs provided by The Hartford Insurance Company were substantially lower than the damages identified by the adjuster and certified HIAAG roof inspector from the Claims Assistance Team. There were many items either missed or left off the by the Hartford adjuster and Donan Engineering.

I contacted my states department of insurance and filled out a complaint form. I contacted the regional director at the Hartford and provided my complaint Form, Claims Assistance Team's detailed report of damages and estimate cost. I requested fair and equitable compensation for damages sustained to my dwelling, structures, and contents based on the damage assessment and associated cost provided by the Claims Assistance Team. Given the overwhelming evidence and the threat of taking this issue to the states department of insurance, the Hartford had no choice but to award me me the full amount of my request. By being persistent on my request, obtaining a second opinion, and not taking the first offer, I was able to increase my recovery from $7600.00 to $27,500.00.

Original review: July 17, 2015

We have been with Hartford since 2009 through AARP. We have never had a claim or had a bad experience with them but every year our bill goes up. This year we had an increase of our homeowner's insurance by $758.00 When we started with them in 2009 our bill was for $1200 and now it is at $2,458. We can understand a little increase each year but $758 in one year with no explanation! When we questioned them they said Hartford had done an increase this year and that was it. AARP recommends this company and many seniors are struggling. Hartford gives you good prices in the beginning but then sticks it to you after a few years. Needless to say we are going with another company where we will save $600 a year. Shame on you AARP.

Original review: July 7, 2015

We have had our home insured with the Hartford thru AARP for several years. Each time we renewed, we checked premium cost for the best price. Last year we switched our auto policy to the Hartford because our carrier went up on the premium, insuring our vehicles with Hartford to save on premiums. At renewal for the auto policy, Hartford had a higher premium than the competitor, so we switched carriers in April. On June 5, we receive a bill from Hartford, an additional fee to the homeowner policy for unbundling our cars. This fee was $290.00. We are an elderly couple on a fixed income. An unexpected fee is a surprise, and a hardship to pay, especially when your goal was to save money on premiums. Are we responsible for this fee? Who might we speak with at AARP or the Hartford to have this fee waived? Thank you for allowing us to voice this complaint.

Original review: June 29, 2015

We wanted to add homeowners insurance to our current auto policy and consolidate bills. Homeowners insurance is not available to new customers in Florida.

Original review: June 10, 2015

My father had a policy with Hartford through AARP for years, always paid his premiums, and never made a claim. I helped him in his last years by handling all of his financial affairs and medical needs. He passed away and my brother, sister, and I moved the policy into our family trust. I moved in to the house and forwarded my mail through the post office. For whatever reason the Hartford bill never came through and was being sent to my old address. After discovering the error I called the Hartford, paid our bill in full, and updated the billing address with them directly. They took the money but did not update the billing address. The next notice we received 3 months later was cancellation.

I called them immediately and they said the reason for cancellation was a failure to pay. I explained that I had updated the address when I paid it in full previously and was happy to go through the process again as well as pay up in full as well as set up an auto-pay feature if they had it. I asked what the billing address they had on file was and they gave the old billing address. They then said that the initial failure to pay allowed them to "review" our policy and they had decided to cancel us. I mentioned our willingness to pay in full and to avoid the same problem in the future but they said no, search for coverage locally, and that they do apologize. No customer loyalty, care, or concern of any kind. A company with a total lack of character or morals.

Original review: May 20, 2015

To be fair... I have had a previous policy (home & auto) with AARP/Hartford before, about five to six years ago. Upon the renewal of the policy the first time, there came the increase in the premium. The reason... nothing specific based on the conversation I had with the representative. I did not renew the policy then and life went on. Fast forward to present day. I decided to try AARP/Hartford once again after wading through other companies with either very bad customer service or rates, or both. I know... say it ain't so, you might say! Based on their statements, it appeared that they may have cleaned up their act, but since I am submitting this review, obviously that did not happen. My bad!

To be honest, we have an insurance claim that was called in about four years ago for damage caused by a water heater, which based on the reaction of the insurance industry, I must have planned and executed. Since then, it has been my destiny to be punished with higher home insurance rates for five years until I learn my lesson (obviously, to never file a claim). It is worth mentioning that I no longer own the home that the damage occurred in (no matter, the person is being held accountable, not the house). Also, one of us in the household has a moving violation, also four years old. That too, is an excuse for higher insurance rates for five years. The game being played here, is "risk". No, not the board game... rather the means to an end for higher rates and profit for the insurance industry. Again, to be fair, AARP/Hartford did not invent the higher rate category due to claims and tickets... all companies do this.

Back to present day. I saw the bus coming (based on a previous history with this company), but got run over nonetheless. Our home insurance premium rose twenty percent (in our case ~$400.00). Our auto insurance premium rose a modest one percent. All of this after applying all the "discounts" that they offer, to include the plug-in gadget that gathered driving profiles in our cars for six months, excellent credit ratings for both of us, etc. So, I called the company to ask why the rates, regardless of all the discounts, increased. The answers... get ready because some of this not new information for some of you... we live in the mid-west, with lots of storms, so home insurance rates will increase due to bad weather, plus the representative let slip the word "lawsuits", but quickly recovered and never mentioned that word again. There was no clear answer for the slight increase of the auto insurance.

Being curious and playing along with the "mid-west" theory, I asked what the average increase of home insurance was for the past couple of years in our area. The answer was "fifteen percent". If true, then I have a fair idea of what will happen to our home insurance rates for the forthcoming years should we stay with this company. Where do we go from here one might ask? We decided to suffer with this insurance company for at least one more year. Why? We want to rid ourselves of the insurance claim and ticket burdens before we switch to another company.

Those two issues need to go away before we start this process all over again. Meanwhile, we will shop for another company that MIGHT... actually offer a good rate for home and auto, then stick with their offer of reasonable rates in the years thereafter. I understand increases in price due to replacement costs, etc, but not in the $400 range. We'll see what comes up and hopefully I have not just described the quest for the holy grail of the insurance world! My recommendation for this particular company? Look elsewhere or try them for a year with the idea of shopping for another company before renewal. Who knows, they may get the hint and actually follow through with rates that make sense for more than one year. Good luck!

UPDATED ON 06/14/2016: This is an update to a review I posted last year 2015 regarding premium increases of our homeowners and auto insurance policies from 2014 to 2015. As expected, there was an increase of the homeowners premium of 25% for 2016. This "bill" was sent to us after the policy had been cancelled and replaced by another policy/company. It seems once you become a customer of Hartford, it is hard to rid yourself of them and their emails. I have already contacted Hartford to confirm our cancellations of the policies (home and auto), however, the policy bill notices continue to arrive.

Fortunately, we have not suffered any loss of escrow funds through our mortgage company (they acknowledged the change of insurance provider), plus we did not have any automatic payments set up for auto premiums. A brief history of premium increases from 2014 to this year include an increase of 20% in year 2015, and the latest, 25% for this year (had we continued with Hartford). Overall, from the beginning, year 2014, to this year, there was an increase of 32%. This, with no claims, late payments, or anything else that would have prompted an increase of this magnitude.

We have since clarified through our new/current insurance provider, what a reasonable increase of premium can be (specifically the homeowners policy) and the answer is... ~5%. This due to replacement cost increases (materials, labor, home valuation, etc). Our current insurance provider has a local office and agent, that has made the communication between ourselves and them, much easier and less stressful. We cannot emphasis more, how this type of business relationship/communication has helped us, to understand our insurance needs, clarify our expectations and establish long term goals. Again, good luck!!

Original review: April 30, 2015 I'm an older person. I had the claims adjuster come out, surveyed my roof damage and he said it needed to be replaced. He said we have a roofing company that does all Hartford's business, Gardner Roofing. I recommend you go with them. My mistake. I had no problems with my gutters before they touched them.

Now when heavy rains come, the water goes into the gutters and under the singles into the soffits and out the vents of the soffits. It has been almost two years and still trying to get the soffits replaced (water damage) and gutters taken off. Always get 3 estimates and do not believe Hartford, get it in writing or record the conversations.

Original review: April 9, 2015

Paid the full amount for a year's worth of homeowner's insurance before the due date. (Have now checked to see that, in fact, the payment was deducted from my account. Yes, indeed). Five months later, in one swoop, they claim I have an account with X amount due, but Y can be paid as minimum, or Z on another page. But in another letter, "policy cancelled due to non-payment" - never mind the FULL payment received six months prior. This is after they did the same crap with my auto insurance. 100% complete SCAMMERS. THIEVES. LIARS. I'm talking to my lawyer about getting $$ back from them. They accepted full payment and then denied service. DO NOT GIVE MONEY TO THE HARTFORD. Let's see them out of business!

Original review: March 5, 2015

We were sent a check very rapidly without able to get our estimates in - it turned out to be significantly lower than our lowest estimate. After sending several estimates in, we received another check - a month and a half later, that was close to our lowest estimate so that was the one we HAD to choose if we didn't want to pay out of our own pocket.

In 23 years with Hartford for our homeowners, we have Never had one claim. I felt like our claim rep, **, was rude and very cold and calculating. We had just had our beautiful perfect house flooded and she lacked empathy and did what she was trained to do - save the company as much money as she could, I even suspected age discrimination because we were seniors. She was quick with smart answers - which I didn't appreciate. I hope nothing more traumatic than that happens to our house and I especially hope we never have to deal with ** again. I was so disappointed in this experience because we have had car claims with Hartford and everyone has always been so nice and caring about our loss..

Original review: Feb. 27, 2015

Been an AARP member for a long time and through their solicitation decided to switch all auto and home policies to Hartford. Two months later Hartford cancelled the home insurance as "roof on your dwelling is a flat roof and does not meet the eligibility requirements of our program. Also, due to the presence of an un-fenced swimming pool. Da - the house is in Arizona and when they covered the house they were told a SW adobe style with a flat roof and what houses in AZ are not like this? Regarding the pool - 100% incorrect - this house is relatively new and anyone who lives in AZ will attest that no final occupancy will be approved without complying with stringent AZ regs on fencing, door access points above child reach, etc. Don't be a fool and deal with this company.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2015

I switched to Hartford in 2009 because I am AARP member and was hoping that this insurance will be financially reasonable since is designed for the older people. And it was when I started with them. But then year by year my premium was increasing. And when I asked why I always got some bogus excuse. Also when I wanted to insure my "near beach" house my request was denied because it was "too risky." And this year my house insurance jump by almost $300 and they said, just because they are not making enough money(?) So I found another insurance and I am saving several hundreds $$ per year with better coverage. Please shop around -- this insurance is rip-off after you stay with them for few years.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2015

I called last year to request a Quote for homeowner's insurance. I said I had Dogs and they are mixed and I said one looks like a Pitbull - Which is not the Breed of Dog. IT IS A AMERICAN STAFFORDSHIRE TERRIER. Unfortunately I didn't have the money at the time so I didn't go through with the claim. I called 2 weeks ago and the Rep. that I had stated that I had a Pitbull, I said No "I don't at the Location I am requesting Homeowner's insurance for" and she she argued with me what type of Dog I have and I kept telling the lady "No Dogs at that house I was referring to." So Thanks to your Great CRS. You lost a customer and I will never call to try and get Insurance from your company ever. Nor will I refer your company to anyone. No CRS is going to argue with me and tell me what I have or don't have.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2015

My husband and I was charge 3 times the rate of the average home and auto insurance we purchased through Hartford AARP. I feel like they are taking advantage of seniors. I request a cancellation prior to insurance starting date. Let's see what will happen. I will keep you posted.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2015

On Dec. 10, 2014 my husband called The Hartford Ins. Company to get a quote for homeowners insurance. After numerous phone calls, faxes, emails, questions, we received a quote, which we agreed to and a policy was issued on or about Dec. 15, 2014. We paid the first installment premium and subsequently transferred the autos to the Hartford. The Hartford indicated that a home inspection was necessary and that should have been our red flag but since all the reps were so very nice we didn't give it a second thought.

On January 31st via regular mail, we received a notice of cancellation.. and when we called we were told: 1) we were located in a "CAT" zone (the house is on the north shore of Long Island); 2) we made 1 claim in 15 years with our previous ins. company and the Hartford has very strict guidelines and we obviously did not fit within their guidelines. I pressed the rep as to what a "CAT" zone is (as we are not in a flood zone, etc. ) and his answer was that we were in a high wind area. I asked why we weren't advised that there was a possibility that the policy, while in underwriting, could be cancelled and again no satisfactory answer. Which leads me to believe this was nothing more than a bait and switch; although they had nothing to switch us to. Their big accommodation is that they are giving us until 3/1/2015 to find other coverage. We went to The Hartford because we felt that AARP vetted them ..but apparently not.

This is out-and-out fraud; We gave up our other insurance only to now have to scramble to find coverage. One can only imagine if this happened to an elderly person how confusing & scary this would be. My other thought was that they do not want to write insurance for homes on Long Island and I would ask AARP if they follow up to investigate how many LI policies they've written within the past year. With Google earth and websites in abundance The Hartford could have easily googled the address and determined very early on that we were in a "CAT" zone or not an insurable property. This is incompetency at its highest and I'm disappointed in AARP for sponsoring/lending their good name and reputation to such an inept group. Again we are not questioning The Hartford's guidelines as governed by the State of NY but omitting such pertinent information is deceitful not to mention harmful.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2015

When my husband and I were preparing to move, we contacted Aarp/Hartford to discuss the possibility of renting the home we were leaving. They indicated that they would, in fact, insure the home, but we needed to replace the roof. If we simply replaced the roof, then we would have no problem with them insuring it as a rental. We spent almost $10,000 replacing the roof just to have them tell us that we now have to provide them with a one-year lease contract with whoever is leasing our home. It is not our plan to lease the home long-term, and had we known this was the case, we never would have spent the money on the roof.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2015

Warning AARP Hartford Homeowner policy holders... The Lancaster NY area got buried in 7 feet of snow in November 2014. The weight of this snow on the roof of my patio room caused the room to shift. The windows now do not close properly. We started a claim to have it repaired. Two inspections and two months later The Hartford says "not covered" due to problem is from "settling." Apparently your house will have to collapse before The Heartless will do anything.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2015

I called The Hartford to ask about why my homeowners policy was not listed in my account, I was told it had been cancelled due to non-payment. I was NEVER sent an email about a payment due nor was I sent a statement in the mail. When I inquired about the miscommunication, I was told that they did sent six to seven emails 6 months ago to tell me that my policy was about to be cancelled. Upon checking my email, there were no such emails. They simply did not send them. Furthermore, I never received any statement in the mail. The Hartford implied that I was lying about the correspondence and refused to reinstate me, even though I have been a loyal paid-in-full customer for almost six years. No consideration. No policy. End of story. According to the online reviews, their premiums are higher than most and the service is non-existent. I am taking this as a blessing in disguise.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2015

My husband was on the phone for almost 2 hours and I am so angry! The quote they gave us was not the one they provided when we asked for a copy via email before putting down a required $150 down payment. The agent hesitated to provide a copy saying it would be here in 7 days. I do NOT like to pay for things without seeing them so they finally acquiesced and sent an email. It was over $200 more for the homeowner's policy than what we were quoted; the auto insurance was $100+ more. I felt so bad questioning my husband! I had heard the beginning of the conversation and it sounded like he was being harassed and put in a defensive position from the beginning so I kept listening and finally the agent said he'd have to have his manager make the changes which would take about 30 days. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? DO NOT LET THEM TAKE YOUR MONEY! This is even before we had a policy... They are not fair players!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2014

Today (December 2, 2014), I found out that the insurance in my house had been cancelled back in February of this year. Yes, 10 months later I found out. Why?- "internal matters." After several attempts at finding out, I was told "the house looked empty." I was told that back in February I was sent a letter and also a letter sent to my mortgage company. I called my mortgage company and was told, they just found out several days ago that the policy had been cancelled - no explanation given to them either.

AARP/Hartford Homeowners Insurance Company Information