1.14/5
Based on 80 reviews that contain star ratings

AARP Health Insurance

AARP offers roadside assistance through Allstate. AARP members who sign up for roadside assistance can get help 24/7 if they have a flat tire, need their car towed, run out of gas, have a dead car battery or lock their keys in their car. Members are covered in the United States, Puerto Rico and Canada.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

101 AARP Health Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

No answer to phone call or no follow thru on promised returns: Last year's plan was a fair value by current standards. This year the benefits are down, the copays are up, the price is up, and the customer service has apparently been discontinued. And plan changes arrived after selection cutoff. I'll be switching next year, if AARP still offers this garbage, I'll be switching from them too.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

Three days after the closing window of being able to change insurance companies for Medicare supplemental Part C insurance they sent me a letter that they dropped SilverSneakers free health club membership. They phrased it like this: quote: "New Services Available Jan 1, 2019". Whereas instead it is a large reduction in Service. Now instead of free, we need to pay 50% of the regular membership fee. They claim they sent a letter two months prior, which I never got or noticed since if it was worded the same, I knew I can not upgrade, but can only choose a plan that is equal to or less than the one I have now. Which is the least expensive plan. So, there is no point in even looking at those "New Services".

How disingenuous can they be? Very. United Healthcare Insurance Company, sponsored by AARP, have been covering the few times I have needed coverage, and only denying coverage when the charges were coded incorrectly by the Doctor's office. But this really puts me off AARP for insurance of ANY kind. It looks like it was AARP and not United that dropped the Free membership to health clubs. A service that has helped me stay healthy and very fit, so that I've Not Needed insurance for drugs and diabetes, or any of the usual illnesses we get as we age in America. Now, thanks to AARP, & being low income, I cannot afford it. Another example of Corporations doing unilaterally things that only benefit them.

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I lost Tricare for Life due to divorce. I have been trying to get a supplemental policy since October. A major issue has been that I don't know the exact date that Tricare coverage ended and can't get an appointment to find out until January of next year. UHC has been very difficult -- first in finding anyone who understood anything at all about the loss of Tricare and the difficulty of getting information once you are locked out of online sites. Second, getting the runaround about application process and information needed.

It has been a real hassle and they have taken until December 8 to let me know that they have withdrawn my application and I have to start over. This is ridiculous. If they had questions, as they seem to, they could have called me and asked or emailed me. Instead they sent a letter which I never received. Strangely, my experience applying for a UHC prescription drug plan has been entirely different and my application was promptly accepted although the very same issues existed!!!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I have had my plan since I got Medicare at 65 (I'm 78 now), and it has been great for me (expensive, $170/mo, but great). Except for that $170, my Medicare Premium, Part B Deductible, and prescriptions, I have never paid a penny more for Medical expenses, including surgery. I don't have to fear extreme poverty due to catastrophic medical expenses, as long as a procedure is covered by Medicare, this Supplement covers everything else for the procedure. I just make sure I let medical providers know that I only agree to procedures covered by Medicare. Plus, I can go to a gym with Silver Sneakers, for no further charge, to try and maintain my health. It has been right for me.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I turned 65 on September 10. I have had lots of stents and a quadruple bypass. The end of July I was having heart problems and made an appt at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester Mn. I called AARP United Healthcare and they said, "You can't change plans until Jan 1st of every year." So I canceled my appt at the Mayo Clinic. Had a procedure done by doctors in Des Moines Ia that were not capable of this type of procedure. The results were terrible.

I finally out of desperation called Medicare to be shocked to find out that AARP Medicare Complete had totally lied to me. When you turn age 65 you have a several month open enrollment period where you can change anytime you want. I changed to regular Medicare with a plan G supplement effective Dec 1st. Unfortunately I don't believe I will survive until then. Please warn people about these companies and their deceptive practices. I may have lost my life over this but hopefully you can save someone else's.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AARP?

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

My wife and I recently signed up for the RX home delivery program. The fact that my wife was told there was no co-pay for her ** was a deciding factor in our decision to join the program. On Sept 9 2018, we ordered the ** and were surprised that our copay was about $465 for a 3 month supply. However we proceeded to place the order. On September 14, we had not received the ** and had only 2 days supply on hand. We called customer service and were shocked to find out that our order had been cancelled, the reason given that two requests for approval from our M.D. had not been answered.

We were not advised of the cancellation by phone, email or text and we find this totally unacceptable and improper handling of the situation. We therefore requested that our account be deactivated and the deactivation was confirmed by the OptumRX representative. We have notified United Health of the matter and look forward to hearing their response.

Original review: May 17, 2018

This is the worst company to deal with if you have medicare. They now will not cover my heart doctor that I had for 10 years that they did at one time cover. They do not cover my MD doctor that I had for 20 years. They will not cover medical drugs needed. The Silverback is the worst- if you have to go into the hospital for heart surgery they need a referral that can take up to 10 days for approval. If I had waited the 10 days I would have died. I went to the ER hospital and they found me blocked in two areas of my heart. If your doctor tells you what meds to take AARP will tell me no I have to take what they want me to take (when did our government become a doctor). It's time for President Trump to get involved with our health care system (United Health Care and AARP). If this treatment is because of Obamacare then get rid of it now!

Original review: April 27, 2018

I enrolled in their best plan "F" even though it's breaking my bank and premiums will get higher each year. I chose Plan F because it covers everything - so someone in the doctor's office coded my blood work wrong which Medicare ended up denying. I went thru appeals, discussed with Medicare the doctor's office made a mistake so I have to pay for this? I was hoping AARP would have backed me up - they did not and won't. They are unprofessional and don't care. I suggest not to go with a supplement that is so costly and they are not supportive and premiums are over $200.00 per month.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

This is the first year for having this insurance. I care for my elderly aunt and switched her to this insurance because of the rates. While the rates are reasonable god forbid if you have to contact customer service. WORST. EXPERIENCE. EVER. I would give it 0 stars if I could. After being on hold for a combined 2 hours and on the phone a total of 3 hours I am no further at getting my question answered. After talking to a supervisor I was told that they didn't know and couldn't help me. Trust me... it's worth paying a little extra for more competent customer service representatives!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

I became an AARP member earlier this year. I applied for the offered Eyemed vision insurance and am charged 15.99 monthly. I misplaced the information on the vision insurance that had been mailed to me. I emailed a request for the information a good 2 months ago. No response. I tried calling Eyemed 3 times. Twice I was to receive the information. Again no information. The 3rd time the rep said he was unable to find me in the system. He did give me another phone number to try. I did try it only to have a recording inform me of technical difficulties. This is totally unacceptable. I need to make an eye appt as lately I have been having trouble with my eyes and there seems to be no one who can help me. I am appalled at this type of service. I thought such a large entity such as AARP as well as any insurance plans associated with them would be much more competent and professional.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

I've been with AARP for a couple of years. The first year on my auto insurance renewal, my rate increased by over $10.00 a month. The reason they gave me was because of the type of car I drive. I drive a 2005 Ford Focus??? Then last week I checked on renters/owner mobile home insurance. The price was astronomical. I ask the agent if she gave me my AARP discount and was told yes. Years ago I had my renters insurance with the same company that's affiliate with AARP and my payments were about $22, now because they only have a combination package, which I don't need and I was quoted, right at $69.00 a month. So far every company associated with AARP have been higher cost. I don't need their membership anymore.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

First, if I could have an option to go much lower than a one I would!! AARP is not for seniors, they endorsed United Health for nothing but money and misled their endorsement of this corporation. (Personal opinion by experience with them). Was told by the person I called at AARP with a complaint that they are not in charge of the insurance! They will endorse something and don't back it! AARP was, again in my opinion, they promote themselves as for seniors, but my experience is completely different. United Health drop all doctors in a network I was set-up with specialists for several serious issues. Did they help. NO, offered to change to a new PCP and from there I could get new specialists. Where is the government in all of this? No guiding light from Medicare. Was told I would have to wait to change insurance until open enrollment. Thank you for taking care of the average citizens Uncle Sam.

Original review: July 18, 2017

AARP UHC prescription drug plan don't cover much. Almost nothing. I am asking myself why I am still paying my monthly fee. They even try to collect double fee. from me! Disgusting!!! I really think they should change the management of this company. The workers don't seem they know what are they doing!!! Example: my doctor ordered a cream called: **. Drug store charged me $35.77 total cost $ 43.00. Amazon sells for $ 14.22 (highway robbery). One more thing they cashed my July check July 10th yesterday 7/17/17. I received a bill for July and August $161.00. AARP DO YOU KNOW WHAT ARE YOU DOING? Beside taking my money? What kind of business are you running?

Original review: July 17, 2017

I tried to get AARP insurance and they are discriminating against me because I have the pre-existing of epilepsy which I have had since I was 5 years old and they are not supposed to do that. Everyone's supposed to have health insurance. Obama pass the bill and they know that I am a senior citizens. This is not the first time I've tried to get them but I wait a couple of years to go back and try it again and they still refuse to give it to me frankly and I can't get it. Something's wrong with that picture. They're going to pay for this. They base when I forget. They have parents too and karma is a **. Nothing good is going to come on today. They're going to get theirs in the long run. They always send me over to The Hartford insurance company and they turn me down because of what I have. They're not supposed to do that either.

Original review: June 15, 2017

I've had this Medicare Part D Preferred prescription plan for 8 or 9 years. My biggest issue with them has always been customer service. It has, however, become worse as time goes by. When you call them for assistance with some procedure, such as filing a request for a tier exception or asking them to help you with the mail order company, you cannot reach anyone who really speaks good English, who does not have a bad phone connection, or who even knows enough to help at all. They sound like very young people in a call center with lots of background noise, voices, shouting. There is really no point in discussing anything with them. And there appear to be no mature American professional people to discuss anything with. If you choose this plan, be prepared, you are on your own. If you have a problem, good luck. Just be sure not to sign up with them again. I see no other recourse.

Original review: May 15, 2017

Taking funds out of my bank account. On call there on today May 15, 3:20 I talk to this African lady who was so very rude and ignorant, I know what my bank told me and she had the nerve to tell me I'm not getting my refund back that they took for 3 months. They better check with their work from home representative and get license and bond because someone took money and I'm going to have it investigated and going to get my funds back into my account. Don't not sign up for AARP Medicare Complete United. No part of United if you don't want to get ripped off. That company needs to be shut down.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2017

One week after the enrollment period ended, this insurance company notified this patient of a Part D copay change from $0/month to $2,500/month (Copay = $30,000/year). Too late to change companies. This patient has multiple sclerosis and a sweet, soft, little old lady voice. United health care reps consistently treated her rudely, disrespectfully and even abusively. They would not let her speak, much less communicate to resolve the problems. Due to United's abuse, she had to suddenly go off the multiple sclerosis meds against her doctor's orders and which she had taken for years. That caused a rapid deterioration.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2016

I enrolled into AARP medicare prescription plan to begin January 1, 2017, December 7th being the deadline. I received a letter from AARP telling me I owe them $468.00 and they refuse to enroll me until I pay the amount they are demanding. Is it legal for United Health to refuse to cover if I don't pay their unsubstantiated money. Is it legal? They can't produce an itemized bill for the amount and refuse to cover my prescription unless I pay. Very conveniently the letter was sent after the enrollment period.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2016

My 83 year old father was recovering in a skilled nursing facility when he developed urosepsis due to improper catheter care. Secure Horizons is notorious for providing rehabilitation in rest homes. He was admitted to the hospital and HMO wanted to discharge him back to the same SNF Golden Living that had harmed him. When I appealed to QIO Livanta for him to stay in hospital because he could go to a skilled nursing facility I lost. The HMO said that my dad no longer qualified for a skilled nursing facility and I was to take him home with active MRSA. I filed a grievance with UnitedHealthcare on August 19th and the said they were "shopping" for a bed. This went on for 2 months with my dad footing the bill for the hospital.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2016

My mother died March 20, 2016. I immediately notified Social Security. When United Health billed my mother's trust account for the April premium, I sent them a copy of her death certificate and instructed them to refund the erroneously billed premium. I received no response! They billed two additional premiums and I sent them two more letters (they signed the return receipt) to no effect. They billed the account again before I had the bank block payment to these thieves!! They owe the trust account a bit over $900.

Original review: April 26, 2016

I am a retired physician who practiced nephrology and endocrinology for the past 32 years. I retired a few years ago. I have been on hormone replace therapy (HRT) for at least 15 years before retirement. It was used as an adjunct to treat osteoporosis. I have been on AARP united insurance plan since I reached medicare retirement age. As a physician it was easy to work with the AARP plan and I would even suggest to patients that this might be a plan that they might want to use. But in the past 2 years I have been having increased difficulty with the pharmacy benefit plan OptumRx getting RX filled in a timely manner. Recently I and my physician have had a difficulty getting HRT refilled. It is interesting approach that OptumRx uses. All prescription for Hormone replacement therapy are automatically refused. The company admitted that and all required pre-approval.

Its issue is that when you call usually after 45 minutes you are told to try XYZ drug which if promptly refused so you wind up going through a list of different drugs. You are never given to anyone who has any authority and told to use a different form which is not available. So it is a technique that has been used by as number of sleazy insurance companies in the past to make it so difficult that you give up trying. The issue I have is that a company like AARP which is known support active retirement. I would think that AAPR would encourage the use of HRT in the men and women who otherwise have no contraindications. My physician who works at Mayo clinic tells me that they have not had one prescription for Hormone replacement therapy or ED drugs approved by OptumRx this year.

I recently attended a Post Graduate Review course on Endocrinology at Harvard University and we review the indication and contraindication for HRT for individuals over 65. There are no contraindications just because you are 65. I guess I am disappointed a company such as AARP who engage a PBP who had this attitude about HRT in the over 65 age group.

Original review: April 25, 2016

I sent in my money for membership and got screwed. I am disabled and in poor health. My primary care doctor became a concierge doctor and wanted $1,800.00 for the year. I only see my this doctor once a year. I just need him for misc. refills. I have tried finding another doc for this purpose, but no doctor wanted the business. I need the 14 other specialists I see. Obama Care which was pushed by AARP is the cause. I have called AARP for help but their referral was a Quack who would have killed me.

WE DO NOT GET TO VOTE FOR THE HEAD OF LOCAL AARP OR THE NATIONAL AARP. THE organization is run by ** liberals who back liberal issues, take money from phony companies who prey on the elderly and donate our money to political persons that don't represent us. My out of pocket for medical has increased 15,000 with Obamacare and doctors do note want Medicare patients.

Just read the con job of AARP **. The company does not have its own cell towers and rents bandwidth from AT&T. The cellular carrier with the worst infrastructure. If the elderly do not use the phone except for brief few emergencies ** is fine, except I can get a better deal from Verizon. I get unlimited talk and 30 gig for 70 per month. This would cost me 1500 from **. The insurance companies are a rip off. The dumb AARP management could not understand that Obamacare was going to hurt the elderly by less money for medicare, extremely higher secondary insurance, a shot age of doctors.

Original review: April 22, 2016

This are the worst health insurance company in usa for people on Social Security. Before I changed my plan from a better insurance than this I talk to a salesperson that talk they were better than the one I have at that time. I ask if I can have the same Doctor I have and he said "yes it's in list I got here." So I went and sign for.

When I have the card from the insurance there was no Doctor on. It said you need to pick a doctor. Call the service office they gave a Doctor I can see and where he was. I went there pick him as my Doctor and I find out that he gave me a shot that day and he was suppose to call first to see if the insurance authorise it. Now I end up paying $328.00 for the shot he gave me and for the visit. I have $5.00 copay. But they still charged me $328.00 Copay. What kind of insurance is this? I have made the worst mistake of my life by having an insurance that not. Here is My MEMBER ID **.

Original review: April 16, 2016

I recently switched from an "Advantage Plan," to an AARP-D "Saver Plan," because I thought the coverage of my prescriptions was not enough. I also switched to an AARP-United Healthcare "F" plan, and pay $262 a month for the F plan and I thought signing up for their "Saver Plan," for which I pay $45 a month for, would help cover my medications better. Before I signed up for the Optum-D AARP "Saver Plan," I was told my medications, that I was taking we're covered, and once I signed up for this plan and it was officially active, two medications that I will was taking for years prior to this new D plan Optum- were denied! In fact, their "Welcome," package I received in the mail, which contains the formulary, had the medication that I will I was taking listed, shell cording to their own formulary my medication coverage, that is until they decided not to cover it!

They said I needed a prior authorization for the medications, and they denied an appeal because they said they did not receive adequate information from my physician about why I needed these medications, and did my doc to try other medications. Long story short my physicians don't have the time to sit down and write in detail all the medication that they had tried prior to this one! I actually did have one of my doctors call while I was sitting right there, and the person from Optmum, that he spoke to was absolutely useless! She said they were waiting on a decision about whether or not they will cover this medication! Why did I even need a prior authorization for medications that I've been taking for years, and why did they not listen to my doctor when he called to give them whatever information they needed?

That's because they do not care! I am locked in to their insurance until the next period where I can switch my Insurance Carrier, and they know that but they just don't care! What I am describing here is not a misunderstanding, and I am describing something that this company is doing that should be illegal, because it is unethical, and they signed me up with misleading information! I actually figured - let me pay $45 a month extra so I can get the best coverage possible, and this is worse coverage and insurance that I have ever had! This is very stressful for me, and I am on disability and I am 61 years old, and this company has no intention of doing the right thing by me or their customers! They only care about their bottom line!

It's hard to believe that a company like this, who in their advertising speak about how important their customers are to them, and how they want to be helpful, and they have been outright irresponsible, not helpful, and unethical! I will drop this insurance the first minute I have the opportunity to do so without some kind of penalty! I strongly suggest that you stay away from this company, because all you will get from it is grief! Read all the testimonies here, and you will see that what I'm saying is done over and over to other people, and they get away with it because the insurance companies have big money! I called again to speak with a supervisor and I asked her when will this decision, I was told, and my doctor was told, was needed, before anything can be done, and she told me 30 to 60 days, and it's already been a month and a half since I have gotten my last prescription!

I pay $262 a month for my F Medigap-United Healthcare-AARP plan, and an additional $45 for my part D-prescription drug plan-Optum, and I can't believe this is the way they treat someone that is paying $305 a month out of the pocket to them for this ridiculous-sub quality-healthcare! I paid into Medicare for decades and they are not doing me any favors! I have spent many hours on the phone trying to speak to someone that knows what they're doing, because that is another issue when it comes to their prescription plan! The people working in that department do not know what they are doing! I am so stressed, I even found my way here to complain about this major headache! I'm actually grateful that I have a forum that I can put this information out there, and if it helps somebody else great! Buyer Beware!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2016

I signed up prior to the start of this year, changing providers and plans. The registration process was followed to the instructions on the website. Tried to sign in and received a response that the Member ID does not exist. Customer Service was an absolute frustration on the phone. Had to pay my premium as a on-time payment online.

Fresh start again this month... Failure. Member ID does not exist. Customer Service says, "Try Registering." So I try again, same thing. Got sent instead of Web Services to another Customer Service rep that contradicted the first one. Finally got a Web person and got nowhere except to tell me the site was down!! REALLY? If the site is down how does it have the ability to respond as it did a month ago. I still do not have access to my records and account. Somehow or another I feel as if that service is part of what I pay for. Not getting my money's worth at all.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2016

I decided to change drug plans this year. I received a notification from AARP concerning their drug plan so I called enrollment, went through every prescription that I had including the name and dosage of each. I was told that my medications were in Tier 1 and/or Tier 2 and that I would not be paying any copay. When I went to pick up my prescriptions I ended up paying for every prescription. Initially, they told me I had a $550.00 bill, but when I produced my newly provided prescription card they were able to bring the charge down to $60.00 plus. I should have stayed with my previous carrier as I only paid a total of $40.00 for the whole year of 2015.

When I talked to them again and told them what I had been told, they said I had been misinformed by the enrollment department. I am not happy to say the least and I can assure you, if I have to stay with them for 2016 (which I am afraid I will have to) I will tell everyone I know about the untrained employees that give out the wrong information and will certainly change carriers in the new year. I have twenty years of health insurance, even serving on health insurance boards and this is uncalled for.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2016

My husband has had his supplemental insurance the AARP UHC since 2005. When Medicare made the Prescription Part D mandatory, we also signed up for that, the AARP UHC. Never had any problems! In either 2007 or 2008 we decided to change his prescription plan to a deductible plan and all the changes were made over the phone. It was a truly seamless transition and the reps were knowledgeable and helpful. Let me also state that we have been set up with auto withdrawal since 2005 and when we changed his prescription plan in '07 or '08 and then changed back the following year, again it was seamless and everything done over the phone.

Fast forward to 2015 open enrollment period. We again deemed the deductible plan might be more appropriate so contacted customer service to switch the plan starting 1/1/2016. Rep gave up cost of $36.70/month with a $360 deductible AND informed us his premiums would go towards the deductible, which I was delighted to hear. He also said since we had previously been on EFT for our payments, that would continue with the new plan. In Dec. 2015, we received a letter stating we needed to send a check along with the EFT authorization form by 1/1/16 for our payments to be automatically withdrawn. When I called 12/12/15, I was told we were already set up and to ignore the letter that it was standard protocol to be sent out. Checked my bank account yesterday and saw only our supplemental insurance was withdrawn on 1/5/16, not the prescription plan payment so called again.

This time rep told me 9 out of 10 times it works but in my case it didn't. I was advised to go online and set it up. Attempted to do that but there is no option to set up EFT payments online so called AGAIN. This rep apologized for all the other lies I was told and confusion but said she could take a one-time payment from me over the phone but neither she nor their website had any way of setting up the automatic EFT withdrawals and the only way it could be done was by physically mailing a check with the EFT Authorization Form.

Seems to me this company has an antiquated system and is definitely not user-friendly. They seem to have gone backwards as their system worked better 8 years ago. Also, their reps have no idea what they are doing. Seems like they just pulled some high school dropouts in off the street and put them on the phones. Now I have to mail a check hoping it doesn't get lost in the mail or worse, stolen! Informed them I will be changing to a more progressive company next enrollment period. AARP should not be endorsing this company!!!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2016

Looking at bank statement, I discovered my recently deceased mother paid a monthly insurance premium. Five times since November I've requested whatever forms are needed to discover exactly what this insurance covers. The form finally arrived six weeks later on January 6, 2016. This hospital indemnity insurance pays using a window of time going back 15 months. Mom was sick 15 months ago, but they have "conveniently" moved that window by delaying response time. After dealing with their "customer service", I believe this is intentional. They are a horrible company, which makes me wonder about ALL the companies used by AARP, and maybe even AARP itself. STAY AWAY FROM AARP INSURANCE!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2016

My Rx consist of 2 simple generic pills. My total out pocket cost (no insurance) is 456.00 USD per year. My insurance for AARP United Health Care is over $700.00 per this year my co-pay increased by a factor of three. This company and the AARP are a total rip-off. The cost goes up about 10% per year and the copay is increased by a 2-300%.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2015

This is apparently the only place to get a prescription supplement. But they won't let you delay payment -- it's not their policy. For Medicare folks, that's problematic. AARP doesn't deserve this govt. contract.

AARP Health Insurance Company Information