AARP Health Insurance

AARP Health Insurance
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.16/5

AARP offers roadside assistance through Allstate. AARP members who sign up for roadside assistance can get help 24/7 if they have a flat tire, need their car towed, run out of gas, have a dead car battery or lock their keys in their car. Members are covered in the United States, Puerto Rico and Canada.

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

AARP Health Insurance Reviews

Original review: April 17, 2020

I called to pay my mother in law past due bill. They refused the payment because I wasn't in the system to access her account. My frustration comes in after the representative tells me he sees where I was given prior access for a previous call but not for this day. Really I'm trying to bring her premium up to date and you deny payment. I hung up.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

AARP plans changed according to United rep. Went for a cleaning. United paid nothing! Went once last year. So after a lengthy conversation, the rep said have your Dentist bill us again. Geez! 30 minutes on the phone. Maybe they'll pay!

Get buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

I thought AARP was a reputable organization so I went with their health insurance company, United Health, apparently I was very wrong. United Health premium cost rise every year, and since they have AARP subscribers there should have been cheaper than most other companies. I canceled with United health and picked up another company and saved $75. a month. They had already taken the premium out of my account so when I called for my money back I was told it would take up to 30 days. I can only guess this is because there are a lot of cancellations and they can't keep up with the refunds. I will also be canceling my membership with AARP, they can't be trusted to get you the best deal.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

Poor customer service is a "deal breaker" for me and this provider is a doozy when it comes to difficulties getting answers to questions. The representatives read answers from a script, poorly and appear to have little understanding of what they are saying, let alone what you are asking. Also, if you don't like being bombarded with a constant stream of email, snail-mail, and robocall propaganda this is not the company for you. Seems impossible to stop and utterly useless.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

AARP has a lucrative contract with United Health Care allowing United to have an exclusive relationship with AARP members. Nothing is more important to senior health than physical fitness. AARP executives disagree. Last year the AARP allowed United to drastically reduce its Silver Sneaker program eliminating gym membership as a member benefit saving United a great deal of money. Enroll in Blue Cross. It includes gym membership. You save on membership and can leave AARP. No more magazines with airbrushed photos of aging celebs.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AARP?

Original review: June 20, 2019

We picked AARP's United Health Care Plan because we trusted AARP to provide information and services that would benefit my mom. But she recently suffered a stroked and some complications and we found out the hard way that the insurance is a bunch of BS. She was taken to UCLA Medical Center which has one of the best stroke centers in the country. The care there was wonderful. But when it came to for her to be released that's when we found out how horrible United Health Care is.

When we tried to talk to AARP we were told that AARP really doesn't have anything to do with the companies they contract with--they took no responsibility even though the AARP name is all over her insurance card and even the Website has AARP in it. They just passed the buck. Next thing we found out was that it wasn't even United Health Care that was in charge--they subcontract to another company called HealthCare Partners that has absolutely no interest in serving elderly clientele. More to follow on that below.

Additionally we were told by AARP that we needed to pick a Medicare plan and that theirs were the best. Well, you DON'T HAVE TO PICK A MEDICARE PLAN. In fact, when we started having problems with HealthCare Partners, UCLA told us that if we hadn't attached them to her Medicare, we wouldn't have had any problems at all.

The problems started toward the end of her stay in the hospital. She had 3 teams (TEAMS!) of doctors there as well as world-class physical/occupational therapists, all of whom said she needed Acute Rehab--probably 12 professionals in all. But the HealthCare Partners' doctor (one doctor) who never saw her or examined her or even talked to her, decided he knew better than all those doctors and refused her Acute Care. Instead they wanted to send her to a skilled nursing facility where she wouldn't have gotten the care her doctors felt she needed for a successful recovery.

When we pushed back, they still refused and said they we could appeal but they were going to stop paying for her hospital stay at that point. It was about 4:00 p.m. on a Friday afternoon. What were we supposed to do? My mother was in tears. She felt completely abandoned by an organization she trusted. It broke my heart to see her crying like that. This is a woman who never complains about anything.

I feel that betrayed by AARP because, again, we trusted them to be the source of good, correct and proper information. But they simply traded the reputation they have with their members for kickbacks from the insurance company. Moreover, I believe that HealthCare Partners made the decision based solely on my mother's age, not her medical condition nor the recommendation from the doctors who saw her. This is age discrimination and I believe it's illegal.

At the skilled nursing facility she was released to (the one contracted with HealthCare Partners), there was no one under the age on 65, easily. There certainly weren't any young people who could have been victims of accidents or chronic disease that needed skilled nursing care. But if you go to the Acute Care facility you see mostly younger people. This tells me that HealthCare Partners has some unwritten policy where they simply will not pay for Acute Care even though its indicated by doctors and that decision are made simply by looking at someone's age. (Again, their doctor never once examined my mother--not even their doctor at the skilled nursing facility ever met with her.)

The problems with the services providers that HealthCare Partners contracts with continues even though my mom released to home. She was supposed to get physical therapy at home but we're still waiting for that. It has been over two weeks since she's had any physical therapy and any gains that she was making have probably been erased which means she can be at greater risk for an injury that would send her back to the hospital. How does this make sense. Whatever you do.. DO NOT GET YOU MEDICARE COVERAGE THROUGH AARP. Please learn from our mistake.

Original review: June 6, 2019

This company cancelled me erroneously and I was reinstated after making a complaint with Medicare. During the time I was not covered due to being cancelled I paid for all my prescriptions out of pocket. they have attempted to charge me for all that time -- in excess of $900 and they did not cover one thing. I have called several times and was told it was taken care of. Yet, I was cancelled again. I have even received contradictory things in the mail. This company is a customer service nightmare and their co-pays are very high. Not recommended.

Original review: May 11, 2019

The coverage is OK, but from the get-go I have hated their patronizing attitude and stereotype treatment of customers. My first contact when I called to follow up on my application made online, they asked me if someone had helped me with that. Really?? Age 65 and heavy use of technology at work for at least 30 years, not unusual for someone my age, and they automatically assumed I needed help completing an online application based on my date of birth? Their systems are feeble anyway, always glitches, and when you call, the assumption always seems to be the problem is a bumbling, senile old user that did something wrong or entered something incorrectly, then when pressed it turns out they have been experiencing system problems.

Also too many phone calls kind of checking up on you as if all drooling, feeble idiots over 65 need a nanny. The last straw was a call attempting to schedule a time for a nurse to come to MY HOUSE to give me a checkup. Three words for that, INVASION OF PRIVACY. How dare they presume that it is OK to intrude upon me like that and it would be OK because I am 65 and must be helpless. Yes, great for more advanced ages, but most 65 year olds I know are capable of making their own appointment for a checkup and getting there on their own.

Finally, after being inundated with patronizing calls almost daily, I managed to have them put a “do not call” flag on my account. Finally, Peace. Last straw today, more stereotyping. Called today and was wished a happy Mother’s Day. The assumption being that every old lady must be a mother / grandmother. On behalf of those of us that could not or did not have kids for whatever reason, and those who lost their children, I have to say this is insensitive. Again just another example of this company’s insensitivity and stereotyping of their older clientele.

Original review: April 30, 2019

I have been a very long time HAPPY customer of the AARP UHC Supplemental Coverage plan. Since 2005. I, however, due to financial issues, dropped my plan a few years ago. When I tried to get back on, I was asked a series of questions. "Did a doctor tell me I'd need surgery in the last 6 months." I answered truthfully and had to wait until after I had the surgery and then apply again. I then applied late in 2018. All looked good. Not much had changed since my coverage was in effect except that I had 2 total knee replacements. It looked good to get coverage again and I did BUT they put me on a higher level plan because they said my records show that I have COPD/emphysema. What? I do NOT. I asked where this info came from and they explained that it came from a Medical Record Warehouse that they check, but would not tell me exactly which doctor, hospital, etc. had this erroneously in their records.

I told them I could not pay the high premiums for the higher level, nor should I have to. I did an appeal. I keep receiving the same letter from the same person, almost monthly, saying they are waiting for medical records from a certain doctor. I finally checked with this doctor and they provided all of the records to me which I sent on to this person. They also showed proof that they had sent the requested medical records more than once. I also sent along a letter from a longer-term doctor who I had before I moved to SE Michigan and he stated unequivocally that I DO NOT have COPD or Emphysema of any other lung issues. Where this came from we do not know. So, it's down to a she said/she said issue.

Medical records shows that the records were sent to UHC and I also sent copies of the same records. I get yet another letter saying that they are still waiting for these same records and can make a determination after they receive them. I am flummoxed. You CANNOT verbally speak to someone in underwriting. You go through an agent who looks to see where things are (at notes in the system) and then cannot answer your questions. It's a dead end. I am about to contact the Insurance Commissioner to complain. My advice: Make sure you get copies of your own medical records every time you see a doctor, go to the hospital, etc. Someone's error can cost you affordable insurance and once it's on your record, you go through insurance hell trying to get it fixed. It's sad.

Original review: March 27, 2019

Have not had problems with any health coverage or claims. Very pleased. Coverage is solid, coverage is wide, premiums are within our budget parameters. Accessibility to prompt customer service has been satisfying. Any questions we have had are answered fully. All of my health problems and surgeries and follow-up treatments or therapies have been covered.

AARP Health Insurance Company Information