Find a Health Insurance partner

AARP Health Insurance

AARP Health Insurance

3.9/5 (204 ratings)
Find a Health Insurance partner

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

About AARP Health Insurance

AARP offers roadside assistance through Allstate. AARP members who sign up for roadside assistance can get help 24/7 if they have a flat tire, need their car towed, run out of gas, have a dead car battery or lock their keys in their car. Members are covered in the United States, Puerto Rico and Canada.

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

AARP Health Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AARP Health Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about AARP?

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

We have AARP/United Health Care. We have overall been very satisfied with AARP as our health insurance provider! They always cover their portion in a timely fashion! Also, they have several perks. Our favorite is the quarterly $40 for each of us for many over the counter items, which really adds up! They also have Home Health visits and for keeping up with your Mammograms and other yearly tests you receive a $25 gift card for each test completed! They really care about their members! Very thorough health plan!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2021

They don’t cover a lot of things because they only cover what Medicare covers. Teeth are important to get covered as well as eyes. We seniors should get our medical free as the stress of paying for it gives us too much anxiety causing strokes etc.

Get buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2020

UnitedHealthcare through AARP in CA was a seamless transition for me when I moved from Providence in OR. Filled out forms online and was sent many options in the mail. Provided a doctor locally has been pretty easy to deal with. Would recommend to a friend who’s transitioning to Medicare or retirement.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2020

I would recommend this company, professional, and great. Price is great, I shipped around and all is good, Although I did do my homework and it is the best when compared to others, all that's included and the price is very reasonable. I must say no negative from me, everything is great :))

Original review: Nov. 7, 2020

I have a very good cover with my health insurance:

1. AARP (American Association of Retired Persons) does have excellent health insurance plan for me though it is provided by a third-party provider, currently that is UnitedHealthcare, they've had a relationship with since 1997. UnitedHealthcare Insurance Company (UnitedHealthcare) is the exclusive insurer of AARP Medicare Supplement insurance plans.

2. It is a non-profit membership organization for retired persons. The people 65+ can get health insurance through AARP if in need of a Medicare Advantage or Medicare-related plans. Even though they do not write insurance policies, what AARP does is offer retirees a one-stop shopping option for all their insurance needs.

3. Also for anyone over the age of 50 looking for affordable insurance options for retirees, AARP is worth checking out. An AARP Press Release reports the organization has nearly 38 million members throughout the United States.

4. Cons. If you are in good health it is likely you can find a comparably-priced - or even cheaper - Health Insurance for Seniors or Life Insurance for Retirees outside of the organization because AARP may not offer the least expensive health and life insurance options.

5. Members of AARP can access other benefits such as its many travel discounts and the AARP VISA credit card, which allows members to earn reward points.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

They raised my rate to $190. per month. They seldom pay and when they do, it’s very little. It’s frustrating to know I’m paying much more in the year than what they pay out, yet I’m concerned about not having enough to pay for my health care bills if there is a need for hospitalization or some other condition. I can barely afford this, yet too worried to drop it. It’s a real catch 22. Insurance always wins. Seniors have it difficult.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2021

I’m ashamed to say I have been a member of AARP for 13 years. Many things about them bothered me but I pushed them aside. After all, this is AARP, the group fighting for and supporting seniors. It always bothered me that they sent a renewal notice even though my membership was not expiring. I would get it, check my records, throw it away, and grumble. This time I got the renewal notice, even though I was signed up for auto renewal and just paid it, unthinking. I got my new card exp. March 2026. When I put it in my wallet I found my old card exp. March 2025. I still had over four years left.

Lights finally came on in my brain. They send these fake renewals so seniors, like me, will give them more money, even though it is an unnecessary renewal. AARP is pulling in gobs of money from unsuspecting seniors. I called to get my $12 refund and to complain about this practice. Neither Brittany or Allison would tell me their last name or employee number. Strange! Another lightbulb went off.

When I called back later to cancel my membership altogether, after much reflection, Roxanne volunteered her employee number and said everyone at AARP had them and should give them when asked. Seems Brittany and Allison lied, not wanting anything to get back at them. What kind of business practice is this? After years of AARP, a lot of travel, and many needs, AARP has done nothing for me. Zero. When I went to their site for resume help, the cost was outrageous. I got free help online. Discounts on travel are minuscule and I always saved much more on my own. I throw their magazine in the trash because it has no substance, just lots of ads targeted at seniors So why do I continue to pay them? Well, not anymore!

I get better discounts through my credit card, wise shopping, or my auto club. And it’s because of their unsavory and criminal marketing practices that I realized that AARP is the biggest scam in the U.S. and the largest source of misinformation put out to seniors just to get our money. AARP needs to be investigated and held accountable. Who do I contact for that?

Original review: Jan. 11, 2021

Was 7 years and their Customer Service was the worst ever. They have a prescription mail order which actually worse than them OPTUMRX. For 2021 I ended my 7 years with them and went to a NEW Medicare AND PRESCRIPTION home delivery. So much happier it's only 11 days.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

I am very confident and interested in the information this site provides. The information is very detailed and helpful, I would be more than willing to give this site to all of my friends and family who also is need of the information this site provides.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

I've been a member of AARP/UNITED HEALTH CARE for more than 6 years and have never had a problem until this year. I've continued to make monthly payments as always through my online banking. To the same address in Hot Springs. Just discovered they cancelled my coverage due to non payment. I investigated and learned that a retirement division of United Health care has been moved to that address and received my insurance payments and kept them. This is fraud.

United Health has dealt with me by spending four hours of my life putting me on hold and dropping my calls. Finally they said they would let me know by mail if I would be reinstated. I followed this up by contacting their partner AARP and a rep there assured me it would be expedited so I could have my life supporting meds picked up. That was yesterday. Nothing more. It doesn't matter to them that they have stolen payments and misappropriated them and they have committed a federal offense. They understand what I will have to do to make sure they are held accountable and this will not help me or my health. AARP is not for the most vulnerable in society. They are vultures who prey on the vulnerable. I hope this prevents at least one person from being victimized by this entity.

AARP Health Insurance Company Information