Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans
AARP Health Insurance
1.16/5

AARP Health Insurance

AARP offers roadside assistance through Allstate. AARP members who sign up for roadside assistance can get help 24/7 if they have a flat tire, need their car towed, run out of gas, have a dead car battery or lock their keys in their car. Members are covered in the United States, Puerto Rico and Canada.

Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

110 AARP Health Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 20, 2019

We picked AARP's United Health Care Plan because we trusted AARP to provide information and services that would benefit my mom. But she recently suffered a stroked and some complications and we found out the hard way that the insurance is a bunch of BS. She was taken to UCLA Medical Center which has one of the best stroke centers in the country. The care there was wonderful. But when it came to for her to be released that's when we found out how horrible United Health Care is.

When we tried to talk to AARP we were told that AARP really doesn't have anything to do with the companies they contract with--they took no responsibility even though the AARP name is all over her insurance card and even the Website has AARP in it. They just passed the buck. Next thing we found out was that it wasn't even United Health Care that was in charge--they subcontract to another company called HealthCare Partners that has absolutely no interest in serving elderly clientele. More to follow on that below.

Additionally we were told by AARP that we needed to pick a Medicare plan and that theirs were the best. Well, you DON'T HAVE TO PICK A MEDICARE PLAN. In fact, when we started having problems with HealthCare Partners, UCLA told us that if we hadn't attached them to her Medicare, we wouldn't have had any problems at all.

The problems started toward the end of her stay in the hospital. She had 3 teams (TEAMS!) of doctors there as well as world-class physical/occupational therapists, all of whom said she needed Acute Rehab--probably 12 professionals in all. But the HealthCare Partners' doctor (one doctor) who never saw her or examined her or even talked to her, decided he knew better than all those doctors and refused her Acute Care. Instead they wanted to send her to a skilled nursing facility where she wouldn't have gotten the care her doctors felt she needed for a successful recovery.

When we pushed back, they still refused and said they we could appeal but they were going to stop paying for her hospital stay at that point. It was about 4:00 p.m. on a Friday afternoon. What were we supposed to do? My mother was in tears. She felt completely abandoned by an organization she trusted. It broke my heart to see her crying like that. This is a woman who never complains about anything.

I feel that betrayed by AARP because, again, we trusted them to be the source of good, correct and proper information. But they simply traded the reputation they have with their members for kickbacks from the insurance company. Moreover, I believe that HealthCare Partners made the decision based solely on my mother's age, not her medical condition nor the recommendation from the doctors who saw her. This is age discrimination and I believe it's illegal.

At the skilled nursing facility she was released to (the one contracted with HealthCare Partners), there was no one under the age on 65, easily. There certainly weren't any young people who could have been victims of accidents or chronic disease that needed skilled nursing care. But if you go to the Acute Care facility you see mostly younger people. This tells me that HealthCare Partners has some unwritten policy where they simply will not pay for Acute Care even though its indicated by doctors and that decision are made simply by looking at someone's age. (Again, their doctor never once examined my mother--not even their doctor at the skilled nursing facility ever met with her.)

The problems with the services providers that HealthCare Partners contracts with continues even though my mom released to home. She was supposed to get physical therapy at home but we're still waiting for that. It has been over two weeks since she's had any physical therapy and any gains that she was making have probably been erased which means she can be at greater risk for an injury that would send her back to the hospital. How does this make sense. Whatever you do.. DO NOT GET YOU MEDICARE COVERAGE THROUGH AARP. Please learn from our mistake.

Original review: June 6, 2019

This company cancelled me erroneously and I was reinstated after making a complaint with Medicare. During the time I was not covered due to being cancelled I paid for all my prescriptions out of pocket. they have attempted to charge me for all that time -- in excess of $900 and they did not cover one thing. I have called several times and was told it was taken care of. Yet, I was cancelled again. I have even received contradictory things in the mail. This company is a customer service nightmare and their co-pays are very high. Not recommended.

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 11, 2019

The coverage is OK, but from the get-go I have hated their patronizing attitude and stereotype treatment of customers. My first contact when I called to follow up on my application made online, they asked me if someone had helped me with that. Really?? Age 65 and heavy use of technology at work for at least 30 years, not unusual for someone my age, and they automatically assumed I needed help completing an online application based on my date of birth? Their systems are feeble anyway, always glitches, and when you call, the assumption always seems to be the problem is a bumbling, senile old user that did something wrong or entered something incorrectly, then when pressed it turns out they have been experiencing system problems.

Also too many phone calls kind of checking up on you as if all drooling, feeble idiots over 65 need a nanny. The last straw was a call attempting to schedule a time for a nurse to come to MY HOUSE to give me a checkup. Three words for that, INVASION OF PRIVACY. How dare they presume that it is OK to intrude upon me like that and it would be OK because I am 65 and must be helpless. Yes, great for more advanced ages, but most 65 year olds I know are capable of making their own appointment for a checkup and getting there on their own.

Finally, after being inundated with patronizing calls almost daily, I managed to have them put a “do not call” flag on my account. Finally, Peace. Last straw today, more stereotyping. Called today and was wished a happy Mother’s Day. The assumption being that every old lady must be a mother / grandmother. On behalf of those of us that could not or did not have kids for whatever reason, and those who lost their children, I have to say this is insensitive. Again just another example of this company’s insensitivity and stereotyping of their older clientele.

Original review: April 30, 2019

I have been a very long time HAPPY customer of the AARP UHC Supplemental Coverage plan. Since 2005. I, however, due to financial issues, dropped my plan a few years ago. When I tried to get back on, I was asked a series of questions. "Did a doctor tell me I'd need surgery in the last 6 months." I answered truthfully and had to wait until after I had the surgery and then apply again. I then applied late in 2018. All looked good. Not much had changed since my coverage was in effect except that I had 2 total knee replacements. It looked good to get coverage again and I did BUT they put me on a higher level plan because they said my records show that I have COPD/emphysema. What? I do NOT. I asked where this info came from and they explained that it came from a Medical Record Warehouse that they check, but would not tell me exactly which doctor, hospital, etc. had this erroneously in their records.

I told them I could not pay the high premiums for the higher level, nor should I have to. I did an appeal. I keep receiving the same letter from the same person, almost monthly, saying they are waiting for medical records from a certain doctor. I finally checked with this doctor and they provided all of the records to me which I sent on to this person. They also showed proof that they had sent the requested medical records more than once. I also sent along a letter from a longer-term doctor who I had before I moved to SE Michigan and he stated unequivocally that I DO NOT have COPD or Emphysema of any other lung issues. Where this came from we do not know. So, it's down to a she said/she said issue.

Medical records shows that the records were sent to UHC and I also sent copies of the same records. I get yet another letter saying that they are still waiting for these same records and can make a determination after they receive them. I am flummoxed. You CANNOT verbally speak to someone in underwriting. You go through an agent who looks to see where things are (at notes in the system) and then cannot answer your questions. It's a dead end. I am about to contact the Insurance Commissioner to complain. My advice: Make sure you get copies of your own medical records every time you see a doctor, go to the hospital, etc. Someone's error can cost you affordable insurance and once it's on your record, you go through insurance hell trying to get it fixed. It's sad.

Original review: March 27, 2019

Have not had problems with any health coverage or claims. Very pleased. Coverage is solid, coverage is wide, premiums are within our budget parameters. Accessibility to prompt customer service has been satisfying. Any questions we have had are answered fully. All of my health problems and surgeries and follow-up treatments or therapies have been covered.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AARP?

Original review: March 20, 2019

Having become old enough for Medicare I chose to sign up my Medicare supplemental insurance with UHC > this, largely based on AARP recommendations. I added a dental rider and this is where my story truly begins. I found, upon searching, that nearly all the dentists available are part of "Western Dental". I called an office near my home and made an appointment. Upon arrival I explained I had pain in one tooth and feared I had a cavity. I also indicated it had been too long since my last exam and cleaning.

The tech who came to take x-rays was heavy handed and caused me pain by shoving (yes, shoving) a very large piece of plastic in my mouth to take the photos. When I told him he was hurting me, he argued that he was not! Now, I am in the dentist’s 'exam' chair where the same tech began taking digital pix of my mouth from every conceivable angle. The dentist arrived and looked at the x rays and the digital photos and indicated everything looks fine. I mentioned pain in the area above one of my teeth and she shrugged and said again the "X-rays look fine". She then proceeded to show me all the pics of the plaque in my mouth and indicated I needed a "deep cleaning".

I mentioned my 100 plus cleanings during my adult life and told her I had never heard it called anything but teeth cleaning. She had no answer to that except to 'suggest' I try using the perio-protect anti plaque product that was very prominently displayed on the wall in front of me. This display included a horror show of gum disease and rotten teeth photos. She then passed me off to a 'nurse' who stood behind me and described the 'treatment' > that would be part of my deep cleaning. I asked about cost and was told $1100.00(!) The truly amazing thing about all this is the Dentist never looked in my mouth.

I have just returned from a visit to the excellent dentist I went to for many years while still employed/insured. I have a cavity at the margin of an old filling - I will need a crown. The tooth I complained about to the Western Dental "dentist" has a crack in the root and has an abscess > it will have to come out and be replaced by an implant ($7,500.00 for that). Stay away from UHC Medicare HMO plans. AARP should be ashamed of recommending this sham coverage.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

We chose the AARP United Health Care because we heard it was good. It's TERRIBLE. Prescription coverage is awful. It's only the end of February and we can't change plans until Dec. We will change it as soon as we can!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

By mistake made a duplicate premium payment because it didn't post for over 2 days. After I contacted them about my mistake and 5 phone calls later, finally said they started the credit process and it would take 12 days to arrive in my account. Really! 12 days for an electronic transfer of funds? Today I called after 14 working days and no refund, the person tells me it can take up to a month. OMG! They have your money and won't let go. I've been out of work for months and need this money desperately. They don't care.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

My mother passed away on October 26, 2018. On the 29th of that month, I called to cancel her health insurance premium. They said it was too close to the end of the month and the premium would be taken out for October but after that it would be cancelled. They took the premium out the end of November. They said they didn't do it. The bank did but they would make sure it didn't happen again. I went to the bank and they said it was the insurance company. They then took it out again in December, again I called and I spoke to both AARP, who guaranteed it wasn't them, and referred me to United Health Care who again told me it was cancelled. I went to the bank again and drilled down and it was an authorization through AARP who said it was cancelled.

Today is February 2 and they have again taken the money out of my mother's account. To date they have taken $680 out of my mother's account and all I get is their assurance that they won't keep doing it. I am still awaiting my refund from last month. Don't give them access to your account, no matter what you do as I have not been able to get the madness to stop.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

No answer to phone call or no follow thru on promised returns: Last year's plan was a fair value by current standards. This year the benefits are down, the copays are up, the price is up, and the customer service has apparently been discontinued. And plan changes arrived after selection cutoff. I'll be switching next year, if AARP still offers this garbage, I'll be switching from them too.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

Three days after the closing window of being able to change insurance companies for Medicare supplemental Part C insurance they sent me a letter that they dropped SilverSneakers free health club membership. They phrased it like this: quote: "New Services Available Jan 1, 2019". Whereas instead it is a large reduction in Service. Now instead of free, we need to pay 50% of the regular membership fee. They claim they sent a letter two months prior, which I never got or noticed since if it was worded the same, I knew I can not upgrade, but can only choose a plan that is equal to or less than the one I have now. Which is the least expensive plan. So, there is no point in even looking at those "New Services".

How disingenuous can they be? Very. United Healthcare Insurance Company, sponsored by AARP, have been covering the few times I have needed coverage, and only denying coverage when the charges were coded incorrectly by the Doctor's office. But this really puts me off AARP for insurance of ANY kind. It looks like it was AARP and not United that dropped the Free membership to health clubs. A service that has helped me stay healthy and very fit, so that I've Not Needed insurance for drugs and diabetes, or any of the usual illnesses we get as we age in America. Now, thanks to AARP, & being low income, I cannot afford it. Another example of Corporations doing unilaterally things that only benefit them.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I lost Tricare for Life due to divorce. I have been trying to get a supplemental policy since October. A major issue has been that I don't know the exact date that Tricare coverage ended and can't get an appointment to find out until January of next year. UHC has been very difficult -- first in finding anyone who understood anything at all about the loss of Tricare and the difficulty of getting information once you are locked out of online sites. Second, getting the runaround about application process and information needed.

It has been a real hassle and they have taken until December 8 to let me know that they have withdrawn my application and I have to start over. This is ridiculous. If they had questions, as they seem to, they could have called me and asked or emailed me. Instead they sent a letter which I never received. Strangely, my experience applying for a UHC prescription drug plan has been entirely different and my application was promptly accepted although the very same issues existed!!!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I have had my plan since I got Medicare at 65 (I'm 78 now), and it has been great for me (expensive, $170/mo, but great). Except for that $170, my Medicare Premium, Part B Deductible, and prescriptions, I have never paid a penny more for Medical expenses, including surgery. I don't have to fear extreme poverty due to catastrophic medical expenses, as long as a procedure is covered by Medicare, this Supplement covers everything else for the procedure. I just make sure I let medical providers know that I only agree to procedures covered by Medicare. Plus, I can go to a gym with Silver Sneakers, for no further charge, to try and maintain my health. It has been right for me.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I turned 65 on September 10. I have had lots of stents and a quadruple bypass. The end of July I was having heart problems and made an appt at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester Mn. I called AARP United Healthcare and they said, "You can't change plans until Jan 1st of every year." So I canceled my appt at the Mayo Clinic. Had a procedure done by doctors in Des Moines Ia that were not capable of this type of procedure. The results were terrible.

I finally out of desperation called Medicare to be shocked to find out that AARP Medicare Complete had totally lied to me. When you turn age 65 you have a several month open enrollment period where you can change anytime you want. I changed to regular Medicare with a plan G supplement effective Dec 1st. Unfortunately I don't believe I will survive until then. Please warn people about these companies and their deceptive practices. I may have lost my life over this but hopefully you can save someone else's.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

My wife and I recently signed up for the RX home delivery program. The fact that my wife was told there was no co-pay for her ** was a deciding factor in our decision to join the program. On Sept 9 2018, we ordered the ** and were surprised that our copay was about $465 for a 3 month supply. However we proceeded to place the order. On September 14, we had not received the ** and had only 2 days supply on hand. We called customer service and were shocked to find out that our order had been cancelled, the reason given that two requests for approval from our M.D. had not been answered.

We were not advised of the cancellation by phone, email or text and we find this totally unacceptable and improper handling of the situation. We therefore requested that our account be deactivated and the deactivation was confirmed by the OptumRX representative. We have notified United Health of the matter and look forward to hearing their response.

Original review: May 17, 2018

This is the worst company to deal with if you have medicare. They now will not cover my heart doctor that I had for 10 years that they did at one time cover. They do not cover my MD doctor that I had for 20 years. They will not cover medical drugs needed. The Silverback is the worst- if you have to go into the hospital for heart surgery they need a referral that can take up to 10 days for approval. If I had waited the 10 days I would have died. I went to the ER hospital and they found me blocked in two areas of my heart. If your doctor tells you what meds to take AARP will tell me no I have to take what they want me to take (when did our government become a doctor). It's time for President Trump to get involved with our health care system (United Health Care and AARP). If this treatment is because of Obamacare then get rid of it now!

Original review: April 27, 2018

I enrolled in their best plan "F" even though it's breaking my bank and premiums will get higher each year. I chose Plan F because it covers everything - so someone in the doctor's office coded my blood work wrong which Medicare ended up denying. I went thru appeals, discussed with Medicare the doctor's office made a mistake so I have to pay for this? I was hoping AARP would have backed me up - they did not and won't. They are unprofessional and don't care. I suggest not to go with a supplement that is so costly and they are not supportive and premiums are over $200.00 per month.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

This is the first year for having this insurance. I care for my elderly aunt and switched her to this insurance because of the rates. While the rates are reasonable god forbid if you have to contact customer service. WORST. EXPERIENCE. EVER. I would give it 0 stars if I could. After being on hold for a combined 2 hours and on the phone a total of 3 hours I am no further at getting my question answered. After talking to a supervisor I was told that they didn't know and couldn't help me. Trust me... it's worth paying a little extra for more competent customer service representatives!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

I became an AARP member earlier this year. I applied for the offered Eyemed vision insurance and am charged 15.99 monthly. I misplaced the information on the vision insurance that had been mailed to me. I emailed a request for the information a good 2 months ago. No response. I tried calling Eyemed 3 times. Twice I was to receive the information. Again no information. The 3rd time the rep said he was unable to find me in the system. He did give me another phone number to try. I did try it only to have a recording inform me of technical difficulties. This is totally unacceptable. I need to make an eye appt as lately I have been having trouble with my eyes and there seems to be no one who can help me. I am appalled at this type of service. I thought such a large entity such as AARP as well as any insurance plans associated with them would be much more competent and professional.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

I've been with AARP for a couple of years. The first year on my auto insurance renewal, my rate increased by over $10.00 a month. The reason they gave me was because of the type of car I drive. I drive a 2005 Ford Focus??? Then last week I checked on renters/owner mobile home insurance. The price was astronomical. I ask the agent if she gave me my AARP discount and was told yes. Years ago I had my renters insurance with the same company that's affiliate with AARP and my payments were about $22, now because they only have a combination package, which I don't need and I was quoted, right at $69.00 a month. So far every company associated with AARP have been higher cost. I don't need their membership anymore.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

First, if I could have an option to go much lower than a one I would!! AARP is not for seniors, they endorsed United Health for nothing but money and misled their endorsement of this corporation. (Personal opinion by experience with them). Was told by the person I called at AARP with a complaint that they are not in charge of the insurance! They will endorse something and don't back it! AARP was, again in my opinion, they promote themselves as for seniors, but my experience is completely different. United Health drop all doctors in a network I was set-up with specialists for several serious issues. Did they help. NO, offered to change to a new PCP and from there I could get new specialists. Where is the government in all of this? No guiding light from Medicare. Was told I would have to wait to change insurance until open enrollment. Thank you for taking care of the average citizens Uncle Sam.

Original review: July 18, 2017

AARP UHC prescription drug plan don't cover much. Almost nothing. I am asking myself why I am still paying my monthly fee. They even try to collect double fee. from me! Disgusting!!! I really think they should change the management of this company. The workers don't seem they know what are they doing!!! Example: my doctor ordered a cream called: **. Drug store charged me $35.77 total cost $ 43.00. Amazon sells for $ 14.22 (highway robbery). One more thing they cashed my July check July 10th yesterday 7/17/17. I received a bill for July and August $161.00. AARP DO YOU KNOW WHAT ARE YOU DOING? Beside taking my money? What kind of business are you running?

Original review: July 17, 2017

I tried to get AARP insurance and they are discriminating against me because I have the pre-existing of epilepsy which I have had since I was 5 years old and they are not supposed to do that. Everyone's supposed to have health insurance. Obama pass the bill and they know that I am a senior citizens. This is not the first time I've tried to get them but I wait a couple of years to go back and try it again and they still refuse to give it to me frankly and I can't get it. Something's wrong with that picture. They're going to pay for this. They base when I forget. They have parents too and karma is a **. Nothing good is going to come on today. They're going to get theirs in the long run. They always send me over to The Hartford insurance company and they turn me down because of what I have. They're not supposed to do that either.

Original review: June 15, 2017

I've had this Medicare Part D Preferred prescription plan for 8 or 9 years. My biggest issue with them has always been customer service. It has, however, become worse as time goes by. When you call them for assistance with some procedure, such as filing a request for a tier exception or asking them to help you with the mail order company, you cannot reach anyone who really speaks good English, who does not have a bad phone connection, or who even knows enough to help at all. They sound like very young people in a call center with lots of background noise, voices, shouting. There is really no point in discussing anything with them. And there appear to be no mature American professional people to discuss anything with. If you choose this plan, be prepared, you are on your own. If you have a problem, good luck. Just be sure not to sign up with them again. I see no other recourse.

Original review: May 15, 2017

Taking funds out of my bank account. On call there on today May 15, 3:20 I talk to this African lady who was so very rude and ignorant, I know what my bank told me and she had the nerve to tell me I'm not getting my refund back that they took for 3 months. They better check with their work from home representative and get license and bond because someone took money and I'm going to have it investigated and going to get my funds back into my account. Don't not sign up for AARP Medicare Complete United. No part of United if you don't want to get ripped off. That company needs to be shut down.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2017

One week after the enrollment period ended, this insurance company notified this patient of a Part D copay change from $0/month to $2,500/month (Copay = $30,000/year). Too late to change companies. This patient has multiple sclerosis and a sweet, soft, little old lady voice. United health care reps consistently treated her rudely, disrespectfully and even abusively. They would not let her speak, much less communicate to resolve the problems. Due to United's abuse, she had to suddenly go off the multiple sclerosis meds against her doctor's orders and which she had taken for years. That caused a rapid deterioration.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2016

I enrolled into AARP medicare prescription plan to begin January 1, 2017, December 7th being the deadline. I received a letter from AARP telling me I owe them $468.00 and they refuse to enroll me until I pay the amount they are demanding. Is it legal for United Health to refuse to cover if I don't pay their unsubstantiated money. Is it legal? They can't produce an itemized bill for the amount and refuse to cover my prescription unless I pay. Very conveniently the letter was sent after the enrollment period.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2016

My 83 year old father was recovering in a skilled nursing facility when he developed urosepsis due to improper catheter care. Secure Horizons is notorious for providing rehabilitation in rest homes. He was admitted to the hospital and HMO wanted to discharge him back to the same SNF Golden Living that had harmed him. When I appealed to QIO Livanta for him to stay in hospital because he could go to a skilled nursing facility I lost. The HMO said that my dad no longer qualified for a skilled nursing facility and I was to take him home with active MRSA. I filed a grievance with UnitedHealthcare on August 19th and the said they were "shopping" for a bed. This went on for 2 months with my dad footing the bill for the hospital.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2016

My mother died March 20, 2016. I immediately notified Social Security. When United Health billed my mother's trust account for the April premium, I sent them a copy of her death certificate and instructed them to refund the erroneously billed premium. I received no response! They billed two additional premiums and I sent them two more letters (they signed the return receipt) to no effect. They billed the account again before I had the bank block payment to these thieves!! They owe the trust account a bit over $900.

Original review: April 26, 2016

I am a retired physician who practiced nephrology and endocrinology for the past 32 years. I retired a few years ago. I have been on hormone replace therapy (HRT) for at least 15 years before retirement. It was used as an adjunct to treat osteoporosis. I have been on AARP united insurance plan since I reached medicare retirement age. As a physician it was easy to work with the AARP plan and I would even suggest to patients that this might be a plan that they might want to use. But in the past 2 years I have been having increased difficulty with the pharmacy benefit plan OptumRx getting RX filled in a timely manner. Recently I and my physician have had a difficulty getting HRT refilled. It is interesting approach that OptumRx uses. All prescription for Hormone replacement therapy are automatically refused. The company admitted that and all required pre-approval.

Its issue is that when you call usually after 45 minutes you are told to try XYZ drug which if promptly refused so you wind up going through a list of different drugs. You are never given to anyone who has any authority and told to use a different form which is not available. So it is a technique that has been used by as number of sleazy insurance companies in the past to make it so difficult that you give up trying. The issue I have is that a company like AARP which is known support active retirement. I would think that AAPR would encourage the use of HRT in the men and women who otherwise have no contraindications. My physician who works at Mayo clinic tells me that they have not had one prescription for Hormone replacement therapy or ED drugs approved by OptumRx this year.

I recently attended a Post Graduate Review course on Endocrinology at Harvard University and we review the indication and contraindication for HRT for individuals over 65. There are no contraindications just because you are 65. I guess I am disappointed a company such as AARP who engage a PBP who had this attitude about HRT in the over 65 age group.

AARP Health Insurance Company Information