Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans
AARP Health Insurance
1.16/5

AARP Health Insurance

AARP offers roadside assistance through Allstate. AARP members who sign up for roadside assistance can get help 24/7 if they have a flat tire, need their car towed, run out of gas, have a dead car battery or lock their keys in their car. Members are covered in the United States, Puerto Rico and Canada.

Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

110 AARP Health Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 20, 2019

We picked AARP's United Health Care Plan because we trusted AARP to provide information and services that would benefit my mom. But she recently suffered a stroked and some complications and we found out the hard way that the insurance is a bunch of BS. She was taken to UCLA Medical Center which has one of the best stroke centers in the country. The care there was wonderful. But when it came to for her to be released that's when we found out how horrible United Health Care is.

When we tried to talk to AARP we were told that AARP really doesn't have anything to do with the companies they contract with--they took no responsibility even though the AARP name is all over her insurance card and even the Website has AARP in it. They just passed the buck. Next thing we found out was that it wasn't even United Health Care that was in charge--they subcontract to another company called HealthCare Partners that has absolutely no interest in serving elderly clientele. More to follow on that below.

Additionally we were told by AARP that we needed to pick a Medicare plan and that theirs were the best. Well, you DON'T HAVE TO PICK A MEDICARE PLAN. In fact, when we started having problems with HealthCare Partners, UCLA told us that if we hadn't attached them to her Medicare, we wouldn't have had any problems at all.

The problems started toward the end of her stay in the hospital. She had 3 teams (TEAMS!) of doctors there as well as world-class physical/occupational therapists, all of whom said she needed Acute Rehab--probably 12 professionals in all. But the HealthCare Partners' doctor (one doctor) who never saw her or examined her or even talked to her, decided he knew better than all those doctors and refused her Acute Care. Instead they wanted to send her to a skilled nursing facility where she wouldn't have gotten the care her doctors felt she needed for a successful recovery.

When we pushed back, they still refused and said they we could appeal but they were going to stop paying for her hospital stay at that point. It was about 4:00 p.m. on a Friday afternoon. What were we supposed to do? My mother was in tears. She felt completely abandoned by an organization she trusted. It broke my heart to see her crying like that. This is a woman who never complains about anything.

I feel that betrayed by AARP because, again, we trusted them to be the source of good, correct and proper information. But they simply traded the reputation they have with their members for kickbacks from the insurance company. Moreover, I believe that HealthCare Partners made the decision based solely on my mother's age, not her medical condition nor the recommendation from the doctors who saw her. This is age discrimination and I believe it's illegal.

At the skilled nursing facility she was released to (the one contracted with HealthCare Partners), there was no one under the age on 65, easily. There certainly weren't any young people who could have been victims of accidents or chronic disease that needed skilled nursing care. But if you go to the Acute Care facility you see mostly younger people. This tells me that HealthCare Partners has some unwritten policy where they simply will not pay for Acute Care even though its indicated by doctors and that decision are made simply by looking at someone's age. (Again, their doctor never once examined my mother--not even their doctor at the skilled nursing facility ever met with her.)

The problems with the services providers that HealthCare Partners contracts with continues even though my mom released to home. She was supposed to get physical therapy at home but we're still waiting for that. It has been over two weeks since she's had any physical therapy and any gains that she was making have probably been erased which means she can be at greater risk for an injury that would send her back to the hospital. How does this make sense. Whatever you do.. DO NOT GET YOU MEDICARE COVERAGE THROUGH AARP. Please learn from our mistake.

Original review: June 6, 2019

This company cancelled me erroneously and I was reinstated after making a complaint with Medicare. During the time I was not covered due to being cancelled I paid for all my prescriptions out of pocket. they have attempted to charge me for all that time -- in excess of $900 and they did not cover one thing. I have called several times and was told it was taken care of. Yet, I was cancelled again. I have even received contradictory things in the mail. This company is a customer service nightmare and their co-pays are very high. Not recommended.

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 11, 2019

The coverage is OK, but from the get-go I have hated their patronizing attitude and stereotype treatment of customers. My first contact when I called to follow up on my application made online, they asked me if someone had helped me with that. Really?? Age 65 and heavy use of technology at work for at least 30 years, not unusual for someone my age, and they automatically assumed I needed help completing an online application based on my date of birth? Their systems are feeble anyway, always glitches, and when you call, the assumption always seems to be the problem is a bumbling, senile old user that did something wrong or entered something incorrectly, then when pressed it turns out they have been experiencing system problems.

Also too many phone calls kind of checking up on you as if all drooling, feeble idiots over 65 need a nanny. The last straw was a call attempting to schedule a time for a nurse to come to MY HOUSE to give me a checkup. Three words for that, INVASION OF PRIVACY. How dare they presume that it is OK to intrude upon me like that and it would be OK because I am 65 and must be helpless. Yes, great for more advanced ages, but most 65 year olds I know are capable of making their own appointment for a checkup and getting there on their own.

Finally, after being inundated with patronizing calls almost daily, I managed to have them put a “do not call” flag on my account. Finally, Peace. Last straw today, more stereotyping. Called today and was wished a happy Mother’s Day. The assumption being that every old lady must be a mother / grandmother. On behalf of those of us that could not or did not have kids for whatever reason, and those who lost their children, I have to say this is insensitive. Again just another example of this company’s insensitivity and stereotyping of their older clientele.

Original review: April 30, 2019

I have been a very long time HAPPY customer of the AARP UHC Supplemental Coverage plan. Since 2005. I, however, due to financial issues, dropped my plan a few years ago. When I tried to get back on, I was asked a series of questions. "Did a doctor tell me I'd need surgery in the last 6 months." I answered truthfully and had to wait until after I had the surgery and then apply again. I then applied late in 2018. All looked good. Not much had changed since my coverage was in effect except that I had 2 total knee replacements. It looked good to get coverage again and I did BUT they put me on a higher level plan because they said my records show that I have COPD/emphysema. What? I do NOT. I asked where this info came from and they explained that it came from a Medical Record Warehouse that they check, but would not tell me exactly which doctor, hospital, etc. had this erroneously in their records.

I told them I could not pay the high premiums for the higher level, nor should I have to. I did an appeal. I keep receiving the same letter from the same person, almost monthly, saying they are waiting for medical records from a certain doctor. I finally checked with this doctor and they provided all of the records to me which I sent on to this person. They also showed proof that they had sent the requested medical records more than once. I also sent along a letter from a longer-term doctor who I had before I moved to SE Michigan and he stated unequivocally that I DO NOT have COPD or Emphysema of any other lung issues. Where this came from we do not know. So, it's down to a she said/she said issue.

Medical records shows that the records were sent to UHC and I also sent copies of the same records. I get yet another letter saying that they are still waiting for these same records and can make a determination after they receive them. I am flummoxed. You CANNOT verbally speak to someone in underwriting. You go through an agent who looks to see where things are (at notes in the system) and then cannot answer your questions. It's a dead end. I am about to contact the Insurance Commissioner to complain. My advice: Make sure you get copies of your own medical records every time you see a doctor, go to the hospital, etc. Someone's error can cost you affordable insurance and once it's on your record, you go through insurance hell trying to get it fixed. It's sad.

Original review: March 27, 2019

Have not had problems with any health coverage or claims. Very pleased. Coverage is solid, coverage is wide, premiums are within our budget parameters. Accessibility to prompt customer service has been satisfying. Any questions we have had are answered fully. All of my health problems and surgeries and follow-up treatments or therapies have been covered.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AARP?

Original review: March 20, 2019

Having become old enough for Medicare I chose to sign up my Medicare supplemental insurance with UHC > this, largely based on AARP recommendations. I added a dental rider and this is where my story truly begins. I found, upon searching, that nearly all the dentists available are part of "Western Dental". I called an office near my home and made an appointment. Upon arrival I explained I had pain in one tooth and feared I had a cavity. I also indicated it had been too long since my last exam and cleaning.

The tech who came to take x-rays was heavy handed and caused me pain by shoving (yes, shoving) a very large piece of plastic in my mouth to take the photos. When I told him he was hurting me, he argued that he was not! Now, I am in the dentist’s 'exam' chair where the same tech began taking digital pix of my mouth from every conceivable angle. The dentist arrived and looked at the x rays and the digital photos and indicated everything looks fine. I mentioned pain in the area above one of my teeth and she shrugged and said again the "X-rays look fine". She then proceeded to show me all the pics of the plaque in my mouth and indicated I needed a "deep cleaning".

I mentioned my 100 plus cleanings during my adult life and told her I had never heard it called anything but teeth cleaning. She had no answer to that except to 'suggest' I try using the perio-protect anti plaque product that was very prominently displayed on the wall in front of me. This display included a horror show of gum disease and rotten teeth photos. She then passed me off to a 'nurse' who stood behind me and described the 'treatment' > that would be part of my deep cleaning. I asked about cost and was told $1100.00(!) The truly amazing thing about all this is the Dentist never looked in my mouth.

I have just returned from a visit to the excellent dentist I went to for many years while still employed/insured. I have a cavity at the margin of an old filling - I will need a crown. The tooth I complained about to the Western Dental "dentist" has a crack in the root and has an abscess > it will have to come out and be replaced by an implant ($7,500.00 for that). Stay away from UHC Medicare HMO plans. AARP should be ashamed of recommending this sham coverage.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

We chose the AARP United Health Care because we heard it was good. It's TERRIBLE. Prescription coverage is awful. It's only the end of February and we can't change plans until Dec. We will change it as soon as we can!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

By mistake made a duplicate premium payment because it didn't post for over 2 days. After I contacted them about my mistake and 5 phone calls later, finally said they started the credit process and it would take 12 days to arrive in my account. Really! 12 days for an electronic transfer of funds? Today I called after 14 working days and no refund, the person tells me it can take up to a month. OMG! They have your money and won't let go. I've been out of work for months and need this money desperately. They don't care.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

My mother passed away on October 26, 2018. On the 29th of that month, I called to cancel her health insurance premium. They said it was too close to the end of the month and the premium would be taken out for October but after that it would be cancelled. They took the premium out the end of November. They said they didn't do it. The bank did but they would make sure it didn't happen again. I went to the bank and they said it was the insurance company. They then took it out again in December, again I called and I spoke to both AARP, who guaranteed it wasn't them, and referred me to United Health Care who again told me it was cancelled. I went to the bank again and drilled down and it was an authorization through AARP who said it was cancelled.

Today is February 2 and they have again taken the money out of my mother's account. To date they have taken $680 out of my mother's account and all I get is their assurance that they won't keep doing it. I am still awaiting my refund from last month. Don't give them access to your account, no matter what you do as I have not been able to get the madness to stop.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

No answer to phone call or no follow thru on promised returns: Last year's plan was a fair value by current standards. This year the benefits are down, the copays are up, the price is up, and the customer service has apparently been discontinued. And plan changes arrived after selection cutoff. I'll be switching next year, if AARP still offers this garbage, I'll be switching from them too.

AARP Health Insurance Company Information