Compare Quotes and Save

AARP Health Insurance
1.13/5
Based on 82 reviews that contain star ratings

AARP Health Insurance

AARP offers roadside assistance through Allstate. AARP members who sign up for roadside assistance can get help 24/7 if they have a flat tire, need their car towed, run out of gas, have a dead car battery or lock their keys in their car. Members are covered in the United States, Puerto Rico and Canada.

Compare Quotes and Save

Find Short Term Health Insurance

Shop Plans Today

103 AARP Health Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 5, 2016

My Rx consist of 2 simple generic pills. My total out pocket cost (no insurance) is 456.00 USD per year. My insurance for AARP United Health Care is over $700.00 per this year my co-pay increased by a factor of three. This company and the AARP are a total rip-off. The cost goes up about 10% per year and the copay is increased by a 2-300%.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2015

This is apparently the only place to get a prescription supplement. But they won't let you delay payment -- it's not their policy. For Medicare folks, that's problematic. AARP doesn't deserve this govt. contract.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2015

I have Prescription coverage that has three stages initial coverage then coverage gap and the catastrophic coverage. They use a unrealistic and arbitrary formula to determine the cost when in between the initial coverage and the coverage gap that's called a cross over coverage formula. They use Fuzzy logic to charge you a co-pay larger than either stage would allow.

It doesn't make any sense to try and describe it but I ended up paying more than the high part of my coverage gap copay and they ended up combining the two charges to charge me about 50$ too much. I tried to talk to a manager, but I end up getting disconnected every time. The worst company defending dumb policies by hanging up!! I am a polite person, but this tries my patience..

Original review: Dec. 7, 2015

The worst customer service we have ever experienced from an insurance company. Most all the customer service personnel you call on the number on the back of your card are poorly trained, uninformed about their own plan and in general should find a different field of work. UHC is supposed to cover everything that original Medicare covers with the exception of Hospice. Asked for a determination of coverage for a Cologuard test and it took six months and dozens of phone calls and still got no approval. Complained to Medicare and got a call within a half hour from a grievance representative. She check and sent me a letter it was 100% covered (as it is with original Medicare) and required no authorization.

Had the test done and they only covered 60%. Having to appeal right now. Never speak to the same person twice, calls go unanswered (I'm away from my desk or on another line is their favorite recording, leave your name and number and will call you back promptly) never to be heard from again. Left my name and number to one lady for 30 straight days with no return call. Wrote their Hot Springs, AR office for a written approval and got no response, even though their booklet and Medicare rules require a determination and response within 14 days. It's a shame that the largest Insurance company in the USA operates this way. Shame on them. Changing to Humana for 2016, they can't be any worse for sure.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2015

The AARP Unitedhealthcare PPO is absolutely disgusting. After fighting with them about an October 2014 claim which I submitted directly, THREE TIMES, and was given all sorts of stories, I finally received my reimbursement today. 13 months later, now, I have another claim from August 27 this year that I have already submitted twice and still no reimbursement. I was on the phone with customer service for 52 minutes when I finally asked to be transferred to a supervisor. Waited for another 10 minutes on hold. No supervisor, they are the worst insurance company around.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AARP?

Original review: Nov. 10, 2015

I was with this company getting my rx coverage for close to ten years. Every year the reps seemed to always have an issue if you called to ask a question. As long as you didn't call to try and get something accomplished and send them their money they don't bother you. I asked to have my premiums taken out of my ssa check because I took in two of my grandchildren and could no longer keep up with sending the premiums by check. NOT ONLY DID THEY NOT DO IT THEY TERMINATED ME WITH A LETTER DATED NOV 1st notifying me I would be terminated Oct 31st??? I received the letter Nov 10th!! I called on the 3rd to see why my premiums were not being taken out of SSA by now and was told nothing I can do I am terminated! This company does not care about its consumers! They are rude and downright don't even do their required Job... But of course its not their fault.

I tried to have it reconsidered with help from the SSA but not even the SSA rep could get it through to Medicare what was going on. So now I am left with no rx coverage. Paid $688 for only two of my prescriptions, And now going without needed medication that I have taken for years. AARP PRESCRIPTION COVERAGE INSURED THROUGH UNITED HEALTHCARE IS NOT GOOD DRUG COVERAGE and I've wasted all this time paid them all the premium money for years but if you try and ask them to do their job forget it. They won't. I'm sure Ill have better coverage in 2016!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2015

Over 10 years ago my father unexpectedly became disabled & was forced into early retirement. Due to high Medicare premiums, we purchased a Secure Horizons/United Healthcare supplemental plan. First problem: they mistakenly added dental coverage for an additional $20/month, despite us telling them we didn't need dental since my dad has full dentures. A couple years our premium decreased & we found out it was due to removal of the dental coverage that we were unaware of. They would not reimburse any of the money. His co-pays for hospitals stays (even with admission) have recently gone up again, his covered/not covered prescriptions are constantly changing, they take an excessive amount of time to authorize any appts to see his specialists to treat his recurring cancer, & denied a biopsy, delaying his tumor diagnosis by 2 months.

Just like another user commented, the company will not cover his blood thinner for a recently formed DVT blood clot that developed while waiting for his approval to be treated. Since they won't cover, we had to pay out of pocket & use a coupon. He needs this medicine for at least 3 months to prevent P.E. & possibly death. We currently could only afford a 7-day supply at $180 with a coupon, which was better than the almost $600 it would have cost with insurance. After over 10 years of paying premiums on time, the company doesn't have a problem telling us that this is just the way it is.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2015

My husband was taken to Emergency Room. He was kept in the hospital for 2 days and a night. Much to our surprise, Medicare has a policy that a hospital can keep a patient for up to 72 hours as an outpatient without admitting them. Because of this outpatient status, Medicare Part A or B will not pay for the medication that was given while he was in the hospital as an outpatient. As a result, A or B will not pay for the medication. AARP MedicareRX has made it next to impossible to be reimbursed.

They have denied the claim because they said it was "self-administered". It was given intravenously! Then they said he didn't get preauthorization. It was given to him in the hospital and under emergency status! Do we stop a doctor from giving a medicine and say "WAIT"! you must get preauthorization? Lastly, they deny receiving the explanation/justification from the doctor and tell us now we have to file an appeal. It's been over 30 days since we requested the reimbursement of over $900. Now we have to file an appeal which will take who knows how long.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2015

I have AARP MedicareRX Drug Plan insured by United Health Care. It has been a nightmare!! My experience with their customer service has been a nightmare since Dec. of 2014. I changed plans, as I'm entitled to do, and I was being charge way too much! I was on an automatic draft payment plan. When I called to complain in Jan. of 2015, the rep said everything was taken care of and that I was only supposed to be paying 49.60 for my plan. The next month, the company automatically withdrew too much again.

I complained again and was given the same story, "all is OK and things would be taken care of." THEN the next month I was charged over $247! I halted my automatic draft! Long story short, I spoke to three (3) supervisors who said they would find out about the problem and get back to me. No one ever contacted me. Each supervisor "promised me" that they would personally take care of this. No one took care of the problem until I reached a supervisor who got to the bottom of the problem in May.

I have NEVER had such poor service from a company ever! As soon as I can, I am leaving United Health Care and going to another company. It is now Sept. and am just now back on track with my regular charges. They owed me money and now we are back on the right track. The website accounting of my billing is still not up to date. I don't trust this company. The safest thing about all this is I don't even take any drugs!!!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2015

Contacted both United Healthcare and Aetna regarding health insurance. Having a need for both supplemental and individual plans I asked for rates. I was told they cannot quote unless buying within 30 days. OK, understood this and when asked if present quotes could be sent to compare to other company's the representatives hung up on me!! I guess when you have AARP as a sponsor there is such a flood of applicants that customer courtesy isn't needed. Makes me want to give up my AARP membership.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2015

Medicare part d - We had the enhanced til it went up. Switched to savers plan at $27 month. My was always taken out of checking. Husband's was from ss check. They stopped. Sent first month for husband & signed paper to draft account. No problem til June. This was Dec. In June, Walgreens notified us. He had no coverage due to non payment. No correspondence from AARP. Called & they drafted account for 4 months & said coverage would start August 1st. Had to pay full in July. Now, with new prescription, WG says, still no coverage. We try to call various numbers, and so does WG. No one available to help. We have customer ID. Bank statement. Still no ID card for either of us. I do have coverage.

Original review: July 9, 2015

SHAME ON AARP for associating with United Healthcare. I made the huge mistake of signing my mother up for this insurance because AARP endorses it. My mother moved to another state and I began the process of signing her up in May and it is now July and I am still having horrible problems with this company. The insurance started on June 1st and she still does not have an identification card for this insurance! And what the representatives tell you on the phone is often exactly the opposite of what is printed in their "Welcome" book, including proper addresses to send information to them.

The book says all correspondence should go to Montgomeryville, PA. Not true! I have TWICE sent my Power of Attorney papers to that address for handling my 87 year old mother's affairs and they still claim they have not received it. When I called about this, the rep gave me a DIFFERENT ADDRESS for the P.O.A. And, lots of luck in trying to change an address with them. They did, of course, send us a bill, but they NEVER sent her an insurance ID card for the insurance.

I PAID the bill and they WILL NOT CONFIRM whether or not they have received the payment! This is considered "confidential." And, no one ever mentions the fact that you need a different card for the insurance and another card for drug coverage. I asked them to send HER an insurance identification card and they would not do it because I was asking them to do this instead of her asking for one. I requested a coupon payment book to be sent to her to keep up with her payments. NO DICE! SHE has to request it, not me! She is 87 years old and she CANNOT handle these things.

I cannot handle them now since they just can't seem to find the TWO Power of Attorney forms I have sent them. And these are the SMALLER problems I have had with them. The big problems I have had with them would fill a few chapters in a book and they are too complex to document here. It is SO OBVIOUS that AARP DOES NOT care who they associated themselves with. United Healthcare is a NIGHTMARE to deal with. Open enrollment cannot come fast enough for me so I can get rid of United Healthcare so I can sign my mother up with a company that doesn't LIE and where the employees KNOW what they are talking about. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!

Original review: June 14, 2015

I just want to know why UnitedHealthcare changed to AARP UnitedHealthcare? I had no problem having UHC before as a secondary, where Medicare.com was my primary. Now, being a brain tumor/radiation therapy survivor, I am no longer able to maintain my doctors who know and are familiar with my case, plus not being able to use my military spousal benefits from my decease husband. I do not like going to doctors who are not familiar with my consistent health issues which keep raising since having radiation therapy and being put on regional HMO's plans where my doctors were satisfied and healthful PPOs. Note: When, erroneously changed over to this new UHC plan, I was able to keep 1 doctor whose office is only 5 minutes away from where I live but again, they erroneously listed him as a pro-med (which he knew nothing about) for a region too far to drive to.

I did complain about this and did received a new card for the closest medical region to me; but his name was removed from my card, assigning a new doctor to replace him. I am still on HMO and when I've asked to be put on PPOs so that I can have my former doctors who are familiar with my condition back - I am refused and told to just wait until October to change my contract. I am now getting bills from my former doctors for work done in 2014 (before the change over), all to be paid for now, along with medical treatment for this current plan from my live on retiree social security pay. Now I feel like a person who will never ever get better and must live in pain until I can get out of AARP UnitedHealthcare Medicare Advantage in October. I am so painfully dissatisfied and poorer. The "My Spending Acct" thing sticks, too!

Original review: June 2, 2015

I am in charge of my mother's care. For the most part my mom's health has been fairly well to be in her 80s. I changed her coverage to AARP due to their great service in general. Not knowing that this has been horribly disappointing. They give the worst coverage and provide the worst facilities for medical health recovery.

Original review: May 27, 2015

I added a dental rider in January 2015, went to my dentist, they said I had no coverage, called Unitedhealthcare, took them a month or two to correct but I had to pay out of pocket. Then when coverage was in effect, I got a root canal. The dentist did not trust United Healthcare so I paid out of pocket upfront and they filed the claim for me in April 2015. Contacted United Healthcare to verify claim receipt and they said they could not verify for 30 days.

Called in 30 days. They said no claim was filed so my dentist refiled and sent me a copy which I also filed by fax after a complicated process to get a FAX number. After I faxed it to them, I called them to confirm receipt. They would not even confirm that they received the fax of the claim from me. Dishonest scam artists who take your premium payments and refuse claims.

Original review: April 25, 2015

I had myself added to my wife's existing account effective January 1, 2015. The rate was supposed to increase from $56.64 monthly to 111.85. On January 28, 2015 a draft in the amount of $263.67 was taken from my checking account without prior authorization. I discovered this on February 2, 2015 and called customer service who agreed this was an error and sent the notation to accounting for correction. At this point I stopped draft payments. I called cs again on 2/9/15 still no explanation or correction. On 2/23/15 I called cs again, when I still did not get an explanation I asked to escalate to management. ** with the mgmt team agreed there was an error and sent back to accounting for correction.

On 3/16/15 I still have not heard anything and received a bill for $238.94 with no correction. I called 1-877-968-9675 and had to leave a msg. No return call so I called again on 3/18/15 and left another message so I called cs explained the problem to the 6th person who transferred me to ** on the mgmt team who also agreed there was an error and sent it to accounting for correction. On 4/7/15 I still did not get a response so I called and left a message on the mgmt vm again and called cs. ** took time to recalculate and she and her supervisor agreed at that point that a payment of $70.45 for April would bring me current. ** from the mgmt team I explained the problem and that I had worked it out with **. ** gave me her extension ** if I had any further problem. I have received a bill for $238.94 due for May 2015 coverage. I called ** and left a vm on 4/22/15 no call back by 4/25/15. Next step complaint to AARP and the California Insurance Commission.

Original review: April 21, 2015

I've only recently changed my Medicare Supplemental Plan to AARP United Healthcare and only four months into this plan I am facing denial of drug coverage while my medical condition is worsening. This plan forces the customer to go through an appeal process for drugs which I have been using since before changing to this new comprehensive Plan F. My intention was to purchase a plan without having to worry about deductibles and coverage, while paying a high premium for these benefits, and now I am being put through the proverbial ringer by this company while my medical condition gets worse by the day. All attempts to get them to expedite their review process have been met with firewalls which denies me access to the department responsible for evaluating and approving my request.

Original review: April 9, 2015

I called them on April 1st 2015 4:45 pm, and to see if I was approved to get teeth fixed and this lady got on, said "just one moment" then she got back on the phone and said "Yes and you have till April 21 to have all your teeth done, due to radiation." So she said "I would run and get them done soon as you can..." So next day I ran in to get 2 teeth in front fixed, the one in back broken off and 5 xrays... the receptionist asked and asked for 1 half hour to get the codes for my dental...

So I call the next day, they had no idea of who said that to me... Caused me so much stress cause this woman was a angel to tell me this great news, now she's a nightmare cause no one know, and no one is educated enough to help me. I have talk to supervisor "I had 5 x-ray" and they said it was covered but I found out I am not... what lies to people dreams to be shattered... They must be something out there cause I am screaming what I need to do or if I am responsible to pay. I want to cry... One Indian said this and the other 2 don't know what was said... fire this company please. Sincerely this place to be hit with a big fine... ASAP.

Original review: March 9, 2015

This is a horrible dental plan because the customer service takes 40 plus minutes to reach anybody to ask a basic question. Also they keep you in the dark about how much the plan pays for different dental procedures. I was told when I go to a specialist like a periodontist that I won't know how much the plan pays and what I have to pay till after the bill is submitted. AARP is just one big scam deal to make seniors think they're getting a great discount. Also the AARP Spammed my email for months with every insurance company on the planet. My advice...look elsewhere where they have real customer service that can answer all your question.

Original review: March 2, 2015

My mother has this plan and every time I call it is over an hour or I have to hang up. Once I get someone they can't verify whether a doctor or drug is approved or not and I end up having to call again and again and NEVER get an answer. In the mean time, my mom has possible cancer and they don't answer the phone. Terrible service! Unorganized administration. Their doctors are never updated on the website and don't even bother with asking for printed book of providers. It's all outdated and no one knows who is approved. They often advise you to call the doctor directly to find out if they are on their own plan! My mom is deaf so this really difficult for her. They should be shut down.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2015

Do not sign up with this program. You will be sorry. Check out their ratings. They are rated 1.8. They jack up the prices about 30% or more every year. The deductible is very high, and their customer service is non-existent. With Medicare Part D the window to change to another plan is a very narrow, just between Oct - Dec. 7 each year. So if you don't switch at that time, you'll be stuck.

I got caught this year because I didn't receive any notice of the price increase, until they sent me the new bill on Dec. 12, after it was too late to change. I did make an appeal to Medicare, but it was denied. AARP claimed they sent me the info, however I did not receive it. I believe that a reputable company should send out several notifications, just to make sure that the information had been received in a timely manner. Obviously they don't want to do this.

When I tried to call them I ended up on hold for long periods of time, since they do not have enough customer service reps. Eventually they sent me a letter with supposed instructions to disenroll or switch, but it was denied. So why bother sending me that? It was just a runaround.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2015

I contacted AARP Medicare Complete to inquire of the changes in payments from $10.00 monthly to $49.00 monthly. I was told that I would be paying a late fee for the duration of my policy, which means health care wants me to pay them late fees until I die. This seems a way to get more money from older clients and get around the laws and profit from it. They charged me for part "D", $123.00 and now they want me to pay a jump of $30.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2015

This company is impossible to contact. When I call the number on the back of my card I am put on hold. The time of hold is between 45 min to 1hr and 20 min, When I finally get thru, the customer service is pleasant and takes my question without hesitation. Then nothing is ever done. I have been receiving a medical bill for over $2,000 for over 7 months. When contacting them, I am put on hold for over an hour then the lack of service begins again. Very UNSATISFIED.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2015

My husband and I have been with AARP and healthcare since 2004. This week my husband's ** increased from $45mo to $120. There is no substitute. Our income is at poverty level and our mortgage underwater and we simply do not have the money. Not that we can't afford it. We do not have it. But we cannot participate in nor receive assistance from any plan because the government does not allow such payments. The generics, even neurologists admit, do not work. However a newer generic **, is blocked and has to be pre-approval and justified because AARP says it is a "life style" choice medication. Since when is a man's ability to pee properly and with control a life style choice.

Since when is a drug that enables him to not pee every 35 minutes a life style choice. ** is considered necessary and the ability to pee properly is not? I waited so long on our land line phone (40 minutes) that the batteries on two extensions died on several different days and I cannot get through to AARP. And when the batteries re-charge I'll have to hope I can get through before the batteries go dead again. I am so stressed and distressed I'll probably just keel over with a stroke. It seems we've simply gotten too old for them to care about anymore.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2015

After talking to 3 "customer service" people, going on their website numerous times, requesting that a manager call me (which they never did), I found out that AARP MedicareRX plan requires prior authorization from my doctor before I can get my shingles vaccine (My Dr. gave me a written prescription). I was then informed that my copay would be around $60.00. The medicare website says that the plan D companies are Required by law to cover the Shingles vaccines, however, apparently they can charge whatever copay they want to charge.

I have the most expensive Medicare Plan D plan. You would think they would be happy that members get the vaccine so that they wouldn't have to pay thousands of dollars if a person actually gets the shingles virus! I am very disappointed with AARP MedicareRX PLan D. It is very expensive and by requiring a doctor pre-authorization and charging a very high copay they are obviously discouraging patients from getting a vaccine that can prevent a dreadful illness. Even if you get the illness after the vaccine, it will be much milder, according to my doctor.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2014

Summary of incident and consequences:

What Happen: 12/15/2014 - I received a bill dated 12/6/2014, with an increase in premium the post mark is 12/15/2014. I did not receive any information/notification from AARP United Health Care of an increase in 2014 as I did in 2013 of an increase.

Consequence: As a result of no notification by AARP United Heath Care in 2014 in the allotted government time frame I'm “robbed” off my right to cancel the policy without a penalty and forced to pay the higher premium. This can't be legal. The premiums have increase 21% from October 2013 to 2015.

Summary of Events: 12/15/2014 - I called AARP United Health Care RX at 1:50 PM MST- on hold 30 minutes, spoke with Keilon. I explained United has caused a problem by not notifying me in the government allotted time frame so I could compare and evaluate cost and premiums. The time has elapsed to cancel this policy without a penalty. He could not give me any information as to any notification only that everyone got an increase. I asked for the premium to be same as last year. He said no, I asked to speak to his supervisor.

1:55PM spoke with Brittany, Supervisor, same conversation, she could not do anything nor give me any information about any notification, I asked to speak to her supervisor. She said I could apply for (if I qualified as low income) for aid to help pay for my prescriptions. I said this was a problem caused by United and I needed someone to fix it. This was not a problem caused by me.

2:10 PM (Approximately), Another Supervisor, Patricia, same conversation, said AARP United Heath Care RX sent booklet and packet with increase and explanation in September 2014. I did not received anything. I asked to speak to her supervisor/manager, she said no. I would have cancelled and joined another plan at this increase from October 2013 there has been a 21% increase in premium. After some insistence on my part she said she would send the packet with a letter stating the date it was sent with the information. I asked her if she was a direct employee, i.e. worked directly for United Health Care RX or if she was employed by another company contracted with United Health Care RX; she said she is an employee for United Health Care Rx, located in Harlingen, TX 78550.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2014

It's hard to begin when you have so many complaints about one organization. I have been a member of this miserable organization for years yet I don't know any of the officers or how they were ever elected. I only know that this organization doesn't meet my needs & from the reviews I've read many others as well. The complaints that I have & others seem to cover the gamut of what this measly, powerless organization is supposed to offer you. Instead this huge group of people over 65 have to take what is offered. Their insurance through Hartford is an ugly joke. Their dental insurance is unlike any other. Generic drug prices continue to climb...... Our well informed organization only begins to ask its members months after this has happened. STOP PAYING YOUR DUES LIKE I HAVE DECIDED... THIS ORGANIZATION DOESN'T SPEAK FOR YOU.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2014

I called target optical for an appointment. I told them I was an AARP member calling for the $45.00 eye exam appointment. I was told by a Dr assistant that the appointment would cost me $49.00, that they never had $45.00 appointments. AARP advertises eye exams up to $45.00 through Target. Dr office called other Target locations while I was on the phone with them and no one offered the $45.00 exams. AARP needs to change and update their web page and stop promoting business that do not offer what AARP promotes. Seniors depend on what is advertised through AARP.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2014

I needed a referral for a doctor in my network. I called, was on the phone over half an hour, and they still could not provide me a referral. It took 3 more calls and more than a week before I could finally get a referral. And I pay a very high premium every month.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2014

AARP RX Enhanced plan - This was an expensive RX plan (105.70/mo) which promised coverage in the donut hole. Not only was it costly every month, but also costly every prescription. We have spent thousands on out of pocket costs. We also receive about 12 lbs. of mail from AARP each week. Mostly advertisements and life insurance.

AARP Health Insurance Company Information