AAA Life Insurance
2.52/5
Based on 56 reviews that contain star ratings

Looking for a life insurance company?

AAA Life Insurance

AAA sells a wide variety of insurance types, including auto insurance, home insurance and life insurance. AAA doesn't participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you'd like help selecting the best insurance policy for your needs, contact InsuraMatch to get quotes from their partner insurers. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

57 AAA Life Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I paid on a term AAA policy for fifteen years, which expired when I was 75. This was for 25,000. At age 75 I was given the option of changing to a 10,000 permanent life for considerable more premium money. I took the offer and am now 79. I called today to check that everything was ok. Guess what. It was never changed. 25,000 policy lapsed when I was 75. No record of payments for the last 4 yrs. I always thought I was pretty sensible. Guess not.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

This year I turned 55. My insurance premium was $43 per month. It has now been changed starting the 1st of the year to over $70 a month. I have had this policy for over 15 years. I cannot help but think this is a way to get me to cancel the insurance and they get to keep the last 15 years worth of premiums. I also had the same instance with my work supplemental life insurance and also cancelled that. This is ridiculous, as I get older income will become more limited with retirement and I will not be able to afford any life insurance at all!!!

Get expert buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I went into Autoclub to take care of my car insurance and stopped by to get a life insurance quote. I revealed information to the agent as the interview process proceeded. The agent ended up upset, called me a liar several times, went on to say he gave up his lunch for me and how I wasted his time and refused to give me the free gift offered for the quote. I proceeded to ask for my information back which he refused and then I spoke to a supervisor. The supervisor was very nice and gave me a bag explaining how wrong the agents behavior was toward me as I sat there and cried from the abuse. The agents manager then called explaining his behavior was a result of people not giving information as fast as he wanted it.

Needless to say I am shopping quotes online and will not be buying life insurance from them. Especially after these reviews. Autoclub has usually been very dependable but maybe they should stick to car insurance only. I would try Fidelity or New York Life and check with ConsumerAffairs. If I had only dealt with that kind supervisor in the first place I'd have a different opinion about it.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

I purchased term life insurance from AAA over couple years ago. My mistake was to place it on automatic payment from my credit card. Suddenly the payment they were taking from my credit card went up 50%. I called to AAA life insurance phone# 800-624-1662. I was explained, that they sent me a letter informing about my payment increase. No such letter was ever received by me. I wasn't aware about the increase. In short: no refund, no credit was issued to me. I cancelled the policy. It wasn't the cheapest policy anyway for equal coverage. I definitely do not recommend purchasing of the life insurance coverage from such scam companies like AAA and similar. Get the policy from reputable insurance company. Thank you for reading.

Original review: July 27, 2018

Had to deal with AAA to get a death benefit payout for my brother in law. My sister could no longer deal with AAA. They have lied, held up our death benefit, classified it incorrectly then fixed it. We have been 5 weeks on this and no money... It's really sad when you have a sudden death in a family and you are relying on life insurance to get by until you can get your head on straight to deal with stuff only to find you are starved out by your so called life insurance policy and AAA. I'd strongly suggest staying away from AAA for Life Insurance as to date we still have no monies. It's ludicrous and a damn shame to be squeezed out by your life insurance company, Shame on you AAA for your neglect.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA?

Original review: July 21, 2018

I signed up for 31 day free trial AAA Life Insurance before looking for reviews on 4/16/2018. I then saw reviews and decided to cancel 30 days later. I called and attempted to cancel and was denied any confirmation number or e-mail. AAA had already charged my credit card on 4/25/2018 so I also sent a letter of revoke. As of today July 22 AAA has charged my account three times with only one credit. I have called this company five times and have my credit card now involved in this nightmare. I'll give this company a few more days with my only out left...cancel my credit card. STAY AWAY FROM AAA.

Original review: July 2, 2018

AAA was easy to deal with and prompt with the term life insurance payout for the policy owned by my recently-deceased husband, John. They were more than willing to directly deposit the payout amount in my checking account for faster service. I was pleasantly surprised, also, to read in the policy (on practically the last page) that a surviving spouse that is the beneficiary of a term life insurance policy for their deceased spouse is entitled to a free lifetime AAA membership if they apply within 180 days of their spouse's death. I feel confident about the term life policy I have on my own life, and AAA Life's prompt response to my claim has helped a family friend make his decision to buy a term life policy on his own life.

Original review: June 28, 2018

I have a Life Insurance Policy with AAA Insurance that has been active for several years. It has an "Auto Pay" feature where my Credit Card is charged quarterly. This quarter, their computer charged my Credit Card on the 15th (as scheduled) and then again on the 17th for the same amount. I discovered the duplicate charging and called AAA Insurance and was told there was a computer "glitch" and my CC would be reimbursed. A week later, no credit to my CC so I called again. Was told to be patient and they were working on the problem.

Now 10 days later and still no credit to my CC. Imagine me being 10+ days late with a payment...they'd cancel me. With all the wealth AAA/and their Insurance CO has, you'd think they'd have a competent IT department to quickly fix such errors. Kinda makes you wonder about changing Insurance Companies and brings back (and into focus) some of the horror stories about Insurance Companies we've all heard over the years. Not exactly or even remotely close to the service AAA claims to provide their customers. I'll think twice in the future when searching for insurance needs.

Original review: April 6, 2018

My check from AAA just arrived in the mail today (got back what was paid into it). Okay, my Father passed away about 8-9 months ago. Last December the Funeral Home contacted me stating that haven't received any money from AAA. They also said when they contacted them about payment, AAA said that his policy is "Contestable." The Funeral Home said they don't know why AAA didn't inform them "Day 1" that the policy was contestable because had they done so the Funeral Home wouldn't have accepted the policy. I had to take out a loan last December to pay the Funeral home what AAA had already agreed to pay in the contract. I WOULDN'T REFER AAA LIFE INSURANCE TO MY CACTUS!!! STAY AWAY STAY AWAY!!! I recommend getting Life Insurance with your bank or another accredited company!!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

I responded to a flyer for AAA term life insurance and was hounded by an agent for months. Never seen anything like it, at one point, he reached out to my wife and gave her a horror story about what could happen if I didn't call him back and died without proper coverage (an unnecessary approach). I eventually did decide to check their rates against another insurance carrier (on the promise he would not call my wife again), went through the whole testing process and after all that -- was denied?!

While that is certainly their prerogative to deny a policy, I am in good health and was actually offered a 'preferred rate' policy from the other carrier. Same set of data, same medical records -- two highly different conclusions. Had I not applied for the other one simultaneously I would have had to report a history of being 'denied' - which would of hurt my chances to be covered elsewhere. Out of curiosity I called the AAA underwriting dept which could give me no specific answer as to why I was denied. I am now covered elsewhere and all is fine. Just be careful with this company -- as they can hurt your chances elsewhere.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I am 56 years old and thought I would buy an extra policy now that I have a granddaughter. I received an application through the mail and put in my bank account information, for automatic payments. AAA decided to take out payments for 6 months. All of a sudden I get a letter saying I was denied "because of information in your Milliman IntelliScript Report. The information contained in your prescription history report assisted us in determining your eligibility for our life insurance". These were the exact words. What?? Then why did you take out $369.00 out of my bank account??!! I called, to try to get an explanation and the GIRL I spoke with transferred me to customer service, because apparently it was beyond her expertise! I was on hold for 8 minutes and 39 seconds, then disconnected!

I called back, and again the same thing happened. I then left 5 different messages every day for a week. STILL HAVE NOT gotten a response! If I was denied why did they take out the money and won't even give me the decency of a refund OR EVEN ACKNOWLEDGE ME by returning my phone calls? I know $369 might not be a lot to some people but I am on a fixed income and it's a lot to me. This company has the audacity to call themselves an insurance company with great customer service! I've read other reviews, and the way they treat people who have already lost a loved one is horrendous, especially when they are already grieving!

Thank God I found this out now, before my death. I would hate for my family to have to go through that! Eventually I will get my money back, even if I have to go through an attorney. I hope people stay away from this so-called Life insurance company for the sake of their loved ones! No one should have to be treated this way! My impression is that they are ONLY concerned with getting the money, but don't want to pay their part when the time comes! Good luck to anyone who stays with them!

Original review: April 14, 2017

Very poor customer service. Most agents extremely rude. Have been told they would call me back but never do. I called 3/24/17, 2 days after my mother's passing and they never called me back. Called again 4/8/17 and was told call back for claims dept. on Monday. Called Monday 4/10/17 and was told they would expedite my claim. Called back Tuesday April 11th and was told check processed and I should receive it by end of the week. Called back Thursday April 13th and was told another 7-10 days and I asked for supervisor who lied and said it takes 3 days for FedEx to pick up. FedEx says nothing scheduled for pick up. I demanded answers as to what the problem was.

Dan called me back and told me accounting has the check and will send it out Thursday April 13 via FedEx overnight air. Today, Friday, package still not scanned by FedEx. Called again and was greeted by yet another very rude person and immediately placed on hold. Dan called me back and this time he says the check was sent standard mail on Wednesday April 13th. It's ridiculous! My family members who are beneficiaries with Mutual of Omaha have already received their checks. What is the problem and why can't I get what is owed to me? Liars!!!

Original review: April 12, 2017

My mom just passed away 08/15/2016. She took out a 25,000 POLICY. They said she canceled the first policy for 15,000 but she paid on it for 3 years now. Don't sound mighty fishy. She added 10,000 to that 15,000 to make it 25,000 paid 179.00 a month. I am her daughter which I took care of everything. I sent in all the paperwork they needed. Now they said they can't pay. They will pay only the premium what was paid in for 20 months. That's some **... NEVER AGAIN. THIS IS JUST WRONG. I NEED A LEGAL ATTORNEY.

Original review: April 4, 2017

We have been AAA members for over 33 yrs. When we got a promotional ad for LIFE insurance Term at a reasonable rate I signed up for it. That was Aug 2016. We never received any package with our policy and I didn't realize that until I was going through some files and saw that we had nothing for this insurance plan. When we called they said they'd sent it in August but sent us a new one. When I got it, I looked over the plan. We had 30 days back then to cancel, which I would've done immediately after reading the terms. It stated that for the 1st 2yrs. of the policy, the payout was only valid if it was an ACCIDENTAL DEATH. I didn't want ACCIDENTAL DEATH policy, this was advertised as a LIFE INSURANCE policy!!!

When we called to ask about that, they said we could cancel the policy and we'd only get around $300 of the $1300+ we'd paid into it. BUT that they could set us up with a different plan. Sorry AAA, I will be getting another plan but NOT with liars and cheats. This was not anywhere obviously stated on the original advertising. I trusted it to do what it said it would do, which is a LIFE insurance plan, because it was AAA. I'll never buy anything again from AAA and I'm considering cancelling my auto membership as well.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2017

This company kept withdrawing money from my account for two months after cancelling due to my employer picking up the policy. Called to complain on January 28 and was sent a cancellation letter finally after being charged another cycle. These people with AAA Life are thieves. I am cancelling my AAA auto policy Monday when they open.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2017

Poor company in that they misrepresent fact. Applied early December 2016 and was told I would have response by end of year. This was very important to me as I was leaving my job through which I had life insurance that was in place for the sole purpose of providing for my disabled daughter in the event of my death. I did not receive a response even though I did what was requested of me in each instance immediately. The last I heard from my agent, they had everything but records from my Dr. so I called my Dr. and found out AAA had received Dr. records early January. There is not much to my records, I saw Dr. maybe six times over 5 yr. period.

Finally couldn't wait anymore as my concern for my daughter grew... she would be homeless without this death benefit if anything were to happen to me. After leaving numerous unanswered messages for my agent begging for a response, I called the 1-800 number and discovered that I had been declined! The reason I was told was high blood pressure which I disclosed to my agent during my initial contact with her, which has always been under control and my blood pressure was good on day of my medical exam done by AAA representative. Reason two, anxiety/depression, also disclosed at first contact with agent. Reason 3, fibromyalgia which has no impact on life expectancy. At 61, I have never been hospitalized except for birth of my daughter and take 1 pill a day for blood pressure and occasionally 1 low dose ** for anxiety and my doctor took me off antidepressant since I didn't need it.

So, for reasons disclosed before and during application I was declined AND not given even the professional courtesy by my agent of being notified. It took 2 months to be declined, I wasn't notified, calls were not returned and for reasons they were aware of on day one. If having high blood pressure, anxiety/depression (even though controlled by low dose meds) gets you turned down, why wasn't I told that on day one so I could have moved on? Why did they take two months coverage out of my account knowing I would be turned down? Why no response? Why did it take 2 months? Now that I have been declined, I can't get insurance meaning I am unable to provide for my disabled daughter. I am beyond unhappy with AAA believing that they knowingly took my application and $ with knowledge that I would be turned down. They take months of $ from thousands of applicants with knowledge that person will be declined.

I hope people read this... beware! They are unscrupulous in their business dealings and once turned down, you will not be able to obtain other insurance OR you will have to pay more than double because of these health issues which are now in a MIB database for review by any other prospective insurer. It shows I have high blood pressure even though it was never very high and is well controlled with low dose med. Anxiety is from having disabled daughter, moving across country, leaving job, trying to find new job... all in an attempt to get better care for my daughter. Stay away from this company!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2016

I payed my bill on 11/3/2016. I get a bill on 12/5/2016 so I call AAA Life. They said I miss my payment for 11/9/2016. I told the person I talked to I made my payment On 11/3/2016. He said I didn't make a payment so I gave him the confirmation number so he said "you need to talk to escalation" and that was a waste of time So I paid the bill again. I'm not happy with this service I got. I will stop doing business with AAA Life soon. P.S. The Bill Was Only $56.97. Paid Twice!!!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2016

I had AAA, the gold membership where you pay more. I thought it would be good because I had the gold card but I found that out quick that even with the gold card I had to pay extra because I thought I had unlimited miles. Hell I'm paying for the service, but the driver explained that I'm only covered a limited amount of miles. I was pissed because I needed to get my van back home because I didn't have money for the shop, so I had to pay money out of pocket that I needed for bills, so I decided to leave AAA and sign up with a better service, a better company, unlimited, and better discounts. This company is www.mcaroadaide.us, known as Motor Club Of America. Excellent service, no long wait times, or out of pocket expense, great service, thanks MCA.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2016

I was quoted for 57 to 60 $ a month for life insurance, term policy. I had a telephone interview which was not supposed to happen and I gave urine and blood samples for the company. I can't login to receive the results of the test and I was denied the insurance at first because I had a driving history and now they are saying that I can't have it because of the lab results. I intend to obtain a lawyer because I feel discriminated against because I am disabled. I have further went back and applied for the same policy and now they want me to pay 100 and something, more than half of the quote I got from the salesman who called me. I am going to try and sue AAA for $250,000.00 for putting me through the process and denying me the opportunity to receive life insurance.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2016

This insurance I won't recommend. I have car accident last July 2016. I'm trying to get reimbursement on ambulance expenses is about 1500 dollars. The company ask me more paperwork. They going around not willing to pay on my accident expenses. They like to collect premium but when it comes to reimbursement on medical expenses. Forget it.

Original review: July 11, 2016

We applied and then were charged more than the quote. We called to try to reduce the coverage. The "gentleman" was a jerk and unable to handle such a simple thing. I told them nevermind so I received a letter telling me they could not insure me. If it is THIS hard to sign up with these incompetent people I can only imagine how they would handle a claim.

Original review: April 8, 2016

My mother is 86 years old. She called triple A for coverage. They said they would send her a packet with her card and number. She never received anything!!! But they didn't forget to take her money!!! No refunds!!! Still has no card or number, that's their "policy" is all they will say. Think twice before joining. Anyone who takes advantage of the elderly is not a fit company to use!!!

Original review: March 22, 2016

My father passed away on February 6, 2016. He carried two $10,000 policies. One with Mutual of Omaha and one with AAA Life. My sister notified both companies after the funeral. Mutual of Omaha verified through the funeral home that he had passed and paid the claim in two weeks. AAA required a number of forms be completed and a death certificate be sent. We did so. Then radio silence.

I emailed repeatedly and was told they were "reviewing the claim" - seriously? Then we got a letter stating his beneficiary was his estate. Really? He did not leave his life insurance to himself. He left it to his wife. They REQUIRE you to name a beneficiary when you take out a policy. Now they insisting we send a Letter of Authority from the estate. He had no estate. Everything was in his name AND my mother's. They just don't want to pay the measly little $10,000 he had a policy for and that they paid for over the past 10 years. OUTRAGEOUS behavior for a large company with no compassion.

Original review: March 17, 2016

I accidentally made an overpayment online bill pay on 2/4/16. I noticed the overpayment on 3/2/16. I contacted customer service right away through several phone calls to get immediate reimbursement. It's 3/16/16 I haven't been reimbursed yet. The customer service rep keeps giving me the runaround and excuses. I've been a customer of AAA life insurance for over 15 years and very disappointed in the attention to this matter. I am very disappointed because I call now every day and keep being put on hold and don't get returned phone calls.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2015

I like AAA insurance company because of the simplicity of the process to joined and become a member. The company has exceptional customer service and each inquiries are response to in a quick timely manner. If the individual does not have an answer he or she will attempt to connect you to the right party.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2015

From the time that I first inquired into life insurance with this company until the time that I purchased the product, the representative that I dealt with at my local AAA office was extremely helpful -- courteously and patiently answering all of my questions and ensuring that I totally understood every aspect of the product.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2015

I have only had contact with the company a few times with questions or concerns but overall very happy with the customer service and support. The agency has been available for any reason, question, or any other purpose anytime I have needed them. I hope when I pass that they are as respectful and helpful to my family as they have been for me.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2015

I have had AAA insurance for my life and home for 8 yrs, and have never had a problem in any way with them, and I love that they don't bombard me with mail I don't need like so many other companies I deal with. I would highly recommend AAA.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2015

I began buying life insurance from AAA Life Insurance Company more than 15 years ago and have always had confidence in them that when needed they would be there to meet my needs. I have converted from a term life policy to a whole life policy. When I called the 800 contact number to convert my policy the representative helped me to choose the right amount of coverage that I could afford at that time. Thanks to them. I feel better about leaving something behind to cover expenses after my death.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2015

It is good to have just in case the unexpected happens. God forbid my family will be taken care of and won't be left with the burden of trying to find or borrow money to try to pay bills or party down with and I won't have to be buried in a cardboard box. Instead I'll be in a fancy pine box with no lid and a bunch of holes thanks to my life insurance.

AAA expert review by Neal Frankle

The American Automobile Association has over 51 million members and the national headquarters are in Heathrow, Florida. AAA was founded in 1902.

• Product variety: Besides providing roadside assistance, AAA sells term, whole life and UL. AAA started selling life insurance in 1967.

• Member supported: This is a member-supported company. As a result, members might save money on life insurance needs.

• Limitations: AAA offers a very limited menu of life insurance products.

• Ratings: It can be difficult to find the AAA’s insurance ratings.

• History: AAA is relatively new to the insurance industry.

Profile picture of Neal Frankle
    Neal Frankle Life Insurance Contributing Editor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.

AAA Life Insurance Company Information