2. Homeowners
  3. Home Builders

Elkhart, IN

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.47/5

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Get started

Unsubscribe at any time.

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Get started

Skyline Corporation Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Skyline Corporation?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Skyline Corporation?

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

Prior to delivery I discovered that the wrong interior doors had been installed. When I notified the manager he informed me that they didn't have any of the correct doors specified in contract. So I recommended that he go to Lowe's or Home Depot and pick them up. After fetching the doors he notifies me that the factory would not replace the doors. So I told him to send the doors with the house and I would get them installed. I hired a contractor to install and paint the doors. Skyline does not install the carpets so I had to hire a contractor to do it and Skyline refuses to reimburse the $750 expense!

Skyline included estimated transport cost of about $5,000 but the transport cost &10,000! When the house arrived there was a pile of appliance manuals but the one for the furnace was missing. After about a year I wondered if they may have placed it inside the furnace. It was there alright lying on the filter blocking 106 sq in of filter area. So I had been using the furnace for a year with about 2/3 of the air intake area! I wondered why it didn't seem to work very well! There are many examples of very poor workmanship and the fixtures are the cheapest that they could find. The kitchen faucet already needs replacing!

Original review: July 12, 2019

We purchased our 2018 Shore Park in Nov 2018, it is now July 2019 and they still have not come to fix the problems with my trailer. Terrible customer service. We call, send emails and they just don’t care. We are told they don’t come to MN often to service work. Nobody can tell us when or if they will ever come. DON'T BUY ONE!!

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: May 20, 2019

In 2004 we were in the market for a new manufactured home to replace an existing home we had. We visited several manufactured home places and finally settled on Skyline Homes as they seemed to be the best manufacturer. We customized our home to be built with upgrades that we felt were necessary for longevity and comfort of our home.

After the home was built, delivered and set up we noticed several things we weren't satisfied with. Wood frames in cabinets were split with tons of staples to hold them together. Photo Finish type cabinets were built cheap, and wearing only after a few years. We know that manufactured homes are more cheaply built compared to stick built homes. The problem is longevity. We have lived in our home for 15 years. So far we have replaced most appliances, toilets (because they are not protected all the way up to and under the rim), rust on any metal screws, nails, etc.

The reason for my review today is our roof. We spent more and had our roof upgraded. It was warrantied for 30 years, and we are on 15 years now. Warranties are limited for a reason and a person cannot rely on something that states 30 years! We noticed a leak in a bedroom and had a roofer come out. Skyline, and probably other manufactures, use the cheapest and lightest materials they can get away with. Something was not put together correctly at the ridgeline on our home and it has had a slow leak for a long time (according to the inspection of the roof). Our entire roof, including the overlay to protect from moisture, and the sheeting is ruined. The moisture barrier paper they use is the thinnest and cheapest they can get. Two roofers told us they have not ever seen this used on roofs. The other roofer told us, yes, this is what some use and it does not last.

From carpet, to cabinets and from appliances to roofs, a Skyline Manufactured home is probably not the best buy to avoid costly repairs along the way. I would not recommend a Skyline Home. I have contacted Skyline Homes and the dealer we bought it from. So far they cannot even find records of us buying this home, therefore will not help us. Also, buyer beware, your Homeowners Insurance will not cover things such as our roof. They do not cover manufacturer defects at all.

Original review: April 10, 2019

They are like the snake oil salesman moving from town to town - once the sold you something you can't get any help from them! Customer service after the sale is CRAP! And follow up is CRAP! I found out after our house was delivered Detray's who sells the house for SKYLINE made changes to it without our permission. Now I have to deal with the manufacturer (SKYLINE) who is clueless and never knows anything! As far as the true quality of the home fair at best - find a builder local. You will be better ahead. SKYLINE has taken 2 1/2 years on simple warranty work and still not done.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

Once they sell you a home and you get it set up and done and they give you a 15 month warranty with the home. Good luck after that. The worst customer service ever to deal with. We bought in February of 2018, waited 5 months for our house. We have been waiting since July 2018 till now February 2019 to get things fix. I'm going to write to the BBB after this. So good to luck anyone that's thinking of buying a Skyline.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

We bought a 2018 Skyline manufactured home (Pine Model) last year. My husband has worked in stick-built construction and said that since manufactured homes are built inside in a controlled environment, they would be better quality than stick-built homes built in varied weather conditions. Since the options are limited, manufactured homes allow for economy of scale which is passed on to the consumer; thus the price of those options is more affordable.

We felt there were plenty of structural options (adding 2-4' in length, extra storage room behind the garage, extra windows) & surface options (paint, flooring, fixtures). We're very happy with the options we choose. The quality and finishing touches give it an upscale appearance. 2 options which we'd ordered but were not installed were installed within 7 days. We've had our 45-day walk-through & all our problems have been fixed. Our home is in a 55+ community of Skyline and other manufactured homes & the community has been excellent about attending to repairs locally if possible & crews from Skyline come up regularly to take care of other repairs and warranty items. We could not be happier with our Skyline home!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

My mom purchased a brand new home in July 2018. After waiting 5 months to get it no walkthrough given went in to find the cabinets, carpet and wall color all wrong not to mention all the many other details wrong as well. Mid December mom tries to move in and heater does not work. Here we are over 3 weeks in and still no heat. We have paid out of pocket still waiting for reimbursement. Have left many calls with Kevin (manager) no response. Horrible customer service and even worse trying to get everything fixed. Having to take legal action. What started out as an exciting time has turned into a nightmare.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Bought this place last year, have placed many calls to the local office, in Pa. They did send someone out, but he did not fix everything, keep calling with no success. Bad enough there is no craftsmanship in this house, but to deal with lack of customer service to fix this crap is annoying. How do they stay in business.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I'm just renting a manufactured home made by my Skyline. Thank God. We were given a quick warning before signing the lease that formaldehyde was in the glue used to build it, but of course they played it down. Said it would only last for around 6 months, only be a problem on hot days, and to just open a window if there were any symptoms. It's been over a year, and it's a problem all year round. I can't really open the windows in the winter when the heat is on. I'm going to court about this because I can't deal with the symptoms.

I seem to be more sensitive than the rest of my family, but I have 3 kids being put at risk. How could they sell these to families? Not only that but the materials used to build this home are very low quality. Nothing is real wood and it's peeling everywhere. The laminate floors aren't tacked down so they bubble up when the furnace is on. None of the doors close right. And the nails used to hold down the carpet are sticking out around the entire perimeter of the floor. Absolute junk that won't last more than a few decades. And the price of this single wide is just about enough for a small house that will last.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

We bought our Layton in 2014. The worse mistake of our life. We are surprise we have not burn up in our sleep. Not kidding. Water ran in thru the vent on top by AC that was not put in right nor was it sealed. Outside plug burned up. Not a joke. Had to replace the outside plug pictures to prove. Bathroom shower not sealed & now there is water & MOLD grown behind the so call shower walls. The outside plug that you plug into the circuit box was wired backwards which caused the outside plug to burn up & the hot water heater.

Had to replace the 6 gal hot water heater because first the wiring was not attached to the wall like it should have been because the hot water heater leaked (surprise) & shorted out the wiring. But it gets better. It shorted out & good thing we were home because it caught on fire. Have picture to prove. Slide out is not leveled. One side lower. Oven doesn't work. Burns everything. Yes I have tried the pizza plate. You name it. I have tried. Handle on bedroom locked me in the bedroom. Broken. WAY TOO MUCH TO GO ON. NEVER NEVER BUY A LAYTON OR SKYLINE. SAVE YOUR MONEY & YOUR LIFE.

Skyline Corporation Company Information