1.3/5 (225 ratings)
Find a Home Builders partner
Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About Richmond American

Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Richmond American Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Richmond American?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Richmond American?

Original review: Nov. 23, 2022

We had a horrible experience and were mislead by sales manager in Columbia, TN. She showed us the model and made us believe our kitchen would be like the model. As it was still in the process of being done we noticed it did not have soft close cabinets or the same amount of cabinets. She said she would have a set of drawers and a trash can pullout put in after closing. I agreed but had a terrible feeling about this house due to other things. We back out prior to our walkthrough due to feeling we were misled. They refuse to give us our $9,200 back claiming "Buyer remorse". Please they are new to Tennessee. DON'T BUY A RICHMOND AMERICAN HOME. They also put in a vent all the way through the wall for a ventless microwave.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2022

Contracted to build a home with Richmond in Jan 22. Unfortunately, I was trapped into buying said home that I purchased under differing market conditions from initiation to when we closed. Several bad experiences along the way.

1) 3 sales people that were "managing" my build. Information trickled in occasionally until the final salesperson. The initial salesperson also violated my privacy by informing another potential home owner in the neighborhood my personal information (name, etc.) and I found out through a mutual friend that they knew I was building next to them.

2) The actual structural build process wasn't the worst part. The main super was decent and clear in comms when we did speak and always answered my questions.

3) The loan processor was inept. Attempted to tell me 2 hrs before closing we couldn't close because of an underwriting condition that SHE dropped the ball on but failed to tell me about even though I had been cleared through underwriting for WEEKS.

4) I closed with an INCOMPLETE home with the promise things would be resolved quickly. I was missing:

- Garage door openers
- Shower glass doors/encasements
- Mirrors in all bathrooms
- Messed up kitchen backsplash that had to be fully demolished and redone
- Discovered live and uncapped electrical wires behind my demolished kitchen backsplash
- Damaged granite composite sink that still isn't fixed
- Damaged chunks of hardwood flooring that needs replaced in places
- Several un-square walls/corners

- demolished master bath to correct off-center plumbing

5) It's been 3 weeks since I closed and most major things are still lingering. It's clear that Richmond employs the lowest bidder trades and they bring un-skilled labor in to do a poor job. So poorly that it has to be demo'd and redone.

6) Then the PM aspect is a nightmare. No one can communicate times/days of when someone is going to show up to resolve issues. They just show up then complain if you aren't there to receive them. I have asked so many times for a basic plan and basic levels of communication so I can ensure I am at the home to receive them. It's pretty simple.

7) I would've backed out if I could've. I used my VA loan. Per the contract, I had incentive money to utilize how I saw fit. I initially chose to allocate it to the final purchase price of the home. I wanted to switch it to buy down my rate later on. Since the home came in appraised under the final purchase price... Richmond refused to allow me to buy down my rate and use my incentive the way I wanted to because it would've allowed me to walk from the home per VA regs. Criminal and forced tactics in ensuring they can continue to sell a poor product. I don't recommend ANYONE builds with these clowns ever. I certainly won't be.

Here I am 3 weeks in to my new home and can't get a clear plan nor answers/timelines on resolutions. I get it... industry is tough and supply is challenging at times. BASIC COMMUNICATION goes a long way in resolving most of these issues. Overally, poor quality homebuilder that traps you into contracts for their poor quality homes.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2022

Closed on 10/27/22 on new home. We have had no cold water in the master bath, we now have cut out holes in our kitchen ceiling to repair plumbing. Tile needs to be redone and lighting fixture was full of water.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2022

I really have a lot to complain about but I’ll focus on the most concerning things. I was told my home would be ready in August it is now September 27th and my home is nowhere near finished. I paid their mortgage company $1,000 to lock my interest rate which they told me would expire November 1st which would be fine considering my home would be ready in August but my house looks like could now be ready in December. So now I need to either come up with another $1,000 or allow my interest rate to increase from around 4% to what they offer at the moment.

I also became concerned when I noticed a wooden support beam that was split and was told that the house had already been inspected by their contracted inspector and was approved for next phase. I then asked if I could request my own inspector from the state for the next phases and they said no, that the only time I would be allowed this would be in the final walk through which is concerning because in the final walk-through, that split piece of wood would be very well covered. I call and do not get any answers and I get told I’ll receive a call back with all the answers I need and nothing, no callbacks ever.

I noticed that instead of cutting out holes in the wood for simple things like plumbing, it looks like someone didn’t cut the hole big enough and instead of recutting it allowing it to be a bigger hole to fit to size, it looks as if they had shoved the pipe through the hole because the wood is chipped almost as if an animal had chewed along the edges. At one point I noticed that the workers must have incorrectly measured where to cut a hole for something in our roof leaving multiple holes which I can assume will be patched but I do think a new home roof should not be having multiple patches, you patch things once they have been lived in not when you're creating a new structure, I worry this later down the road could cause leaks or other issues.

I understand they hire people to work and perhaps I happen to have gotten a sloppy crew working on my house however they have employees in their company that should hold them accountable as they are employing them and now my house is delayed and the quality is not even there for the long delay. This house that my family were so excited for has turned into a nightmare and I cannot imagine what would have happened if we had sold our current home, or if we had been in an apartment and ended a lease. I am very fortunate to still have a place to live in and am worried about what is yet to come of this home and I wake up and just don’t know why this company cannot just make it easy on their customers.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2022

After dealing with this company for 7 months, I backed out of my contract. Very poor communication, walkthrough changed 4 times, project manager non existent. Once we got a final date for a walkthrough there was no power in the house, wrong dishwasher was installed, and the double oven was not replaced because of a dent in the handle. We had 4 people putting tape on walls for the painters, 2 days later nothing was done and half of the tape fell on the floor due to humidity because the house was left open. Do not sign with this company, all of the negative comments are true.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2022

Their homes are so cheaply made, doesn’t complete the work. They only want the money not to give the customer a good product. We have had many incomplete work in the house, their response is sooo slow. Do not buy houses with them.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2022

My name is Tyrel **, I began the build process of my home shortly after retiring from the U.S. Marine Core. This is my first home and Richmond has made the process into a complete nightmare. I closed on my home built by Richmond American Homes on the 28th of June. The home was not completed at the day of closing. Chris ** (General contractor) composed an IFC list that is supposed to be completed within 30 days of closing. There have been many text/emails between myself, the general contractor and warranty representatives to set up dates to have work completed those days came and went with nothing being completed.

After push back from Chris (General contractor) he said all IFC items would be done on 1 day scheduled for the 25th of July. The 25th arrived and only two of the ten items were completed leaving me with still an unfinished home affecting the livability of the home. I reported Richmond to the BBB for them not completing any work on 8/2. They replied to the BBB complaint 8/10 saying work was being scheduled to have completed. And a Customer representative called me asking not to post any social media complaints and that they had talk to everyone and were going to get everything done. I accepted their offer and believed they would complete the work.

It is now August 24th and I have been lead on with no completion of work. I am not able to wash clothes because our laundry room was never finished preventing the install of appliances. None of our bathrooms have privacy because of the lack of door handles. I also had a private home inspector inspect the home and he found many things wrong with the house like the sump pump not being operational which will cause the crawl space to flood. My fiancé will be moving into the home after our wedding on 10/13/22 and at this point the home is not livable for 1 person let alone 2 people. This is completely and utterly unprofessional. This is my first home and this is the experience Richmond has delivered. I would like help reporting the builder and highlight their unprofessionalism and utter disregard for their customers.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2022

I would truly advise not to build with Richmond. They will build cheaper houses all around your block and let yours and several others just sit undone for weeks between doing anything on them and what they do is very minimal and poor quality. Basically, get cheap easy build houses built so they can get a quick profit. Save yourself a year of heartbreak and go with someone else. 10 months and counting no wiring, no closing date, no real completion date and we were supposed to move in July.

The block next to us, started after our street, started after our foundation was already in place for 4 months, and most of the block has people living on it. Excuse after excuse, about how they can't keep crews, the block next to us is Richmond as well. They do not seem to have a problem keeping people. My realtor has been doing this for over 20 years including recent builds and has never seen such poor building ever. We are very sorry we started this process with them and you will most likely be as well.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2022

This is the worst builder I have ever dealt with. I closed on my home with a promise unfinished items would be completed with 30 days after closing. It is now almost 2 months later, and nothing has been completed. I’m constantly reaching out; I have been rescheduled 4 times and nothing. One of my rooms does not get any air flow to it so the room is deathly hot. The warranty people came out and stated they cannot do anything because the AC is working however there is still NO air flowing in that room. My front door is broken, I have no doorknobs installed, paint job is horrible, trimming is not connected. I will never recommend Richmond to anyone.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2022

The absolute shoddiest home I ever purchased. No quality control of any kind. Broken doors, broken window, unfinished items from original punch list. No towel or toilet paper holders, wrong sink fixture, no 50 AMP outlet as ordered. Too many to mention here.

Richmond American author review by Joseph Truini

Richmond American grew out of a local Denver operation and became a homebuilder that has built over 175,000 structures in nine states.

• Quick move-in option: Consumers who need a home right away can purchase one that’s already under construction and can be moved in to quickly.

• Three follow-up appointments: Richmond American has in-home appointments with consumers one month, five months and ten months after move in to make sure that everything in the house is acceptable and working properly.

• Available in nine states: Users on both coasts can get a custom-built home through this company. Richmond American builds homes in Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Maryland, Nevada, Utah, Virginia and Washington.

• Online information: Prospective homebuyers can learn everything from how to choose a home to how to improve their credit score and how to secure a mortgage on Richmond American Homes’ website. The company offers 10 free and downloadable guides, covering such subjects as, Basic Floor Plans, First-Time Buyers, Comparison Home Shopping, and Buying a House After Bankruptcy.

• Complimentary design service: Consumers can work with a design consultant at no additional charge. The company works closely with prospective buyers to design a home that meets the personal needs and tastes of each buyer.

by Joseph Truini Home Improvement Advisor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Richmond American Company Information