Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Richmond American Reviews

Original review: Oct. 19, 2019

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/homebuyer-says-richmond-american-did-not-disclose-future-fracking-operation-at-contract-signing. Thinking of buying with Richmond American? DON'T! My wife and I went under contract with Richmond at their Colliers Hill development in Erie, CO in late March, 2019. It was a lot with great views backing up to open space, so we were very excited. The process got off to a rocky start with next to zero communication from Richmond regarding delays in groundbreaking. Then in late September a huge fracking site started going up right across the street from the development.

After doing extensive research into the well permit, speaking with the COGCC, the oil and gas company, the developer, and management in Richmond, it's very clear that they knew about this planned site well before we signed our contract and simply didn't disclose it to us. We have an 11 month old daughter and want to back out of our contract and be refunded our earnest money for legitimate health concerns, knowing that Richmond will have no issue reselling the property. They are ONLY interested in profits and will sacrifice the most basic ethical standards to maximize them. I'm not sure about other builders, but don't waste your time and money dealing with Richmond!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

Avoid. Very unpleasant experience so far. I made mistake and did not read online reviews on BBB and other social media. I am realizing my mistakes. Customization is biggest scam, please confirm your customization, get amount and proceed with any document sign. Build your dream home.... Stop advertising fake information. Buyers aware... Make sure you want what you need including Gallery before signing contract or else verge of losing deposit. Gallery is scam. On site agent is lack of customer service, especially active listener to customer issue instead of forcing their decision. She is one the worst customer service agent, I faced. I could have write one word for her, but it will be inappropriate. You will end up paying 40K on upgrade because their standard options are good for nothing. Advertise as personalize home, but when you want small one then they will say no. I would not suggest buying home with them.

Get expert buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2019

Horrible Experience. Please look at standard vs upgrade. Gallery/Personalization is scam. Onsite agent is lack of customer service, especially active listener to customer issue instead of forcing their decision. She is one the worst customer service agent, I faced. You will end up paying 40K on upgrade because their standard options are good for nothing. Advertise as personalize home, but when you want small one then they will say no. I would not suggest buying home with them.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

Less than two years in my Richmond home and I have discovered a cup of urine sealed in the wall by the contractors, poor outside drainage and a leaky pipe damage by the installing contracting plumber that has ruined my kitchen ceiling, bedroom rug and parts of my hardwood floor and Richmond has taken no responsibility. DO NOT BUY FROM THIS COMPANY!!!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

Wall to wall cracks in the concrete, looks horrible and no one even cares or listens to complaints or concerns. Scheduled a call with project manager at his request because he doesn't take calls otherwise...AND he did NOT even bother to call at all!! Not a satisfactory experience so far.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Richmond American?

Original review: July 29, 2019

They are liars and thieves. They assured us if we had to back out at any time that there would only be a $250 processing fee but not only did they take all of our deposit they took our gallery money we paid for the upgrades we picked out and they had only been paid for for two weeks before we had to back out of the build due to a new job opportunity out of town. Very unprofessional. Also steer clear of the AGENT ANTHONY selling in the Middleburg area.

Original review: July 23, 2019

8 months to build. Living in Motel 6. I write this post from Motel 6 in Denver which is costing me close to one thousand dollars a week. It’s July 22nd. I wrote an earnest check for 1% on January 5th. The earnest check cleared my bank 8 weeks later. I did a six month lease upon moving to Denver, that period has come and gone. Now all my belongs are in two storage units costing me $250 a month! 40 plus email exchanges later, after my files was exchanged between 4 separate loan processors we still aren’t through, hasn’t gone to underwriting yet! Walked the house last week, still not finished painting, air unit was installed the day we did our final walkthrough, it’s not working correctly. House had paint on floor in dozens of places, a half a dozen door hinge pins were missing, big gap in cabinet doors, missing molding in cabinets wide open gap, scrap lumber left in basement, plus the normal dings in drywall finish.

We’re told by supervisors on first walk through they could build house in 45 days, but their newer model homes took priority to get build before ours was finished. Profit over people. Was told by sales someone would call every week and a half to give us updates throughout the process, not one update. Was told on multiple occasions they had supervised changes and doubled the number of supervisors, not my problem.

Original review: July 22, 2019

I have had so many issues with this new $348K home.

1. Roof issues, numerous flashing and cement caps missing.
2. Uneven floors.
3. Through and through cracks in driveway and garage, visible inside and outside.
4. Shoddy floorboard work throughout the home.

5. Trades who do below average work and simply don't care.

Worst decision ever when choosing these guys!!! Be very careful when using them. They don't honor what they say.

Original review: June 27, 2019

Foundation is disintegrating, sink holes starting in front yard!!! Door concrete bottom busting out. Trying to find lawyer!!! Trusses visible in front room ceiling through drywalling. Removed carpet to replace, floors cracked. Orange paint writing from inspection not passing, just covered UP!! Tile cracking. Floor next to walls disintegrating!!! HELP.

Original review: June 6, 2019

We built a home with Richmond Homes and moved in October 2017. We love the design. There was one hiccup with the home building experience in which there was confusion about whether we were to get a covered back porch. In the end they gave us a credit for the confusion which I think was more than fair and showed great customer service.

However, once we moved in the service was terrible. We had a punch list over a page long because they hurried the close. I was not too concerned because they told us they generally get the punch list done within a month or two. It took over 8 months to get all the items taken care of along with numerous communication with our Superintendents.

We had to reach out to our Superintendent after a year to have our 11 month walk through. Thankfully we didn't have a page of items but the follow through has been the same, horrendous! We are now over 6 months past and still have most the items outstanding. Our Superintendent finally told us to request the fixes through the warranty system. If this does not get done we will be contacting corporate. I expect to have defects/issues with construction. It is the service afterwards that sets apart the truly great companies. This company had a great opportunity and failed miserably.

Richmond American expert review by Joseph Truini

Richmond American grew out of a local Denver operation and became a homebuilder that has built over 175,000 structures in nine states.

• Quick move-in option: Consumers who need a home right away can purchase one that’s already under construction and can be moved in to quickly.

• Three follow-up appointments: Richmond American has in-home appointments with consumers one month, five months and ten months after move in to make sure that everything in the house is acceptable and working properly.

• Available in nine states: Users on both coasts can get a custom-built home through this company. Richmond American builds homes in Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Maryland, Nevada, Utah, Virginia and Washington.

• Online information: Prospective homebuyers can learn everything from how to choose a home to how to improve their credit score and how to secure a mortgage on Richmond American Homes’ website. The company offers 10 free and downloadable guides, covering such subjects as, Basic Floor Plans, First-Time Buyers, Comparison Home Shopping, and Buying a House After Bankruptcy.

• Complimentary design service: Consumers can work with a design consultant at no additional charge. The company works closely with prospective buyers to design a home that meets the personal needs and tastes of each buyer.

• Best for: Richmond American Homes is best for people on a budget, first-time homebuyers and highly independent people.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Richmond American Company Information