1.35/5
Based on 136 reviews that contain star ratings

Find a recommended home builder & developer now

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

160 Richmond American Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

We put down earnest funds on a quick-move in home and decided to back out after a few days of signing and these crooks keep giving us the runaround with returning our earnest funds of $3500. They initially said it would be returned within two weeks, now two weeks later and they say they just started the process to wait another 30 days. People, do not buy from these crooks. Read the reviews...

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I am really surprised with the lack of quality and work by Richmond American Homes. The contractors are not consistent and the work between each home in the same development varies. The builder came across consistent issues with multiple door leaks and did not correct them in all the homes. Instead they wait hoping the homeowners do not see or report any water leak issues. I have standing water on my roof which in their warranty says they will fix and they have not. I have major issues with the subfloor and hardwoods and the hardwood inspector, hardwood installer, and framing company are pointing fingers at each other and they will not fix it.

The waterline to my HVAC/dehumidifier never was installed and attached. The service person is really wonderful but you can tell he is overworked and not able to stay on top off ALL the projects that need to be repaired. Communication is really bad. The workmanship is poor and inferior product used by the builder. Richmond is cutting a lot of corners. This warranty is costing me a lot of time off of work, headaches, and my issues are still not fixed. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY.

Get expert buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I am filing a lawsuit against Richmond. They are liars, cheats, and have no integrity. The sales Vice President Michael Frenchy and Todd ** are liars. I have cancer, and ever since I started with them a year ago it’s been a nightmare. I had a Paxton model built in Anthem. First when they found out I had cancer the games began, I was told by VIP mortgage that I needed to open credit cards to increase my score only to find out that is the last thing to do. Austin ** was working with a friend having her do things only for us to find they were making it worse.

When the VP found out in May that they lied he said he would hold the home until I found someone. Once again I found Derick ** of Prime Mtg. All was ok until closing, I paid for an appraisal only to have wasted my money. Derick had gotten with Todd and they told him if he got rid of me they would give him more deals. I found this out from a Richmond employee.

Long story short, I have been scammed and have papers to prove it. When I asked for my papers back, I found my morphine prescription in the papers from 2 mts earlier. If Derick had been working on these papers he would have seen this! I had to suffer a whole month! They pulled the house from me, even though I was ready to close but would not give the 3-day disclosure rule! Frenchy called and was so mad he was harassing my friend to tears! Said the only reason he ever helped me was to cover his butt! I am going to file with the court next week! I am a disabled veteran with cancer! When someone pulls away from you and won’t shake your hand because you revolt them because you have cancer, that shows what kind of people are Richmond American. Stay away from them!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

So I recently lost my earnest money with Richmond American Homes. After sitting down with the sales rep and walking the model home asking many questions about standards included in the home, we decided to sign a contract. We were not shown any of the standard gallery options offered by the builder, however, the standards we were told in the model home were not the case. When we went to gallery, the options we thought were standard were not, and was we selected the things we wanted, they were extremely overpriced. About 38,000 overpriced.

After conveying our thoughts to the sales rep, we were told they'd see what they could do for us. 10 days went by no call or answer on the price of the home. Management is unreachable, answers will take days to receive, Richmond is not about the customer but rather themselves. Management admitted that the price we signed at contract was deceiving, however they are not willing to give us our earnest money for their mistakes on misleading my family and I. Stay away...

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Richmond homes come with a high price, but they are not quality homes. I have had most of my brand new home upgraded by private, quality contractors. Without exception, every one has commented on the shoddy workmanship and inferior product used by the builder. Believe me. They cut every corner they think they can get away with! DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Richmond American?

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

Worst experience for first-time home buyer! Nothing but issues from giving earnest money to closing day. Lied to countless times, communication is terrible, and things still un-repaired for closing day. They will always tell me something will happen in "X" amount of days and it doesn't. They only tell you what you want to hear. About 3 months before closing they cut a vent hole on the wrong side of the room in which the superintendent said he will patch up. Nope, never did. To make things worse, the carpet guys laid carpet right over the hole! I checked again during walk-through and superintendent was nonchalant about it like it's not big deal. It could of been a big trip hazard!

3rd day of moving in, I found 2 leaks in the roof in which one was into my master bathroom! I have emailed and called the warranty department and they refuse to return my calls/emails. Have major electrical problems in the home that has not been addressed. GFI's keep tripping and we have nothing major plugged in. Radon fan has been off for unknown number of days because GFI's keep tripping and sometimes I'll get locked out because my garage to my GFI will trip!

The only time they will contact me back is when they are around in the area and will just swing by randomly when they want to! On another note, they want me to shut off my sprinklers because my water is "flooding" the house they're building next to me! It's their fault they designed my landscape with a huge slope! Also during construction, they cracked my driveway and back patio. They said best they can do is seal it up! Do not buy from them. They talk the talk and don't do any walking. Once you close, you're on your own! I can go on but the bottom line is, avoid Richmond.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I have a dear friend who is buying a RA home in the Arroyo Norte development in Anthem, AZ. He has had nothing but problems. He has been lied to, jacked around, made a fool of and has been discriminated against due to his health status. He has bone cancer. Richmond American pretended to care, but were convinced that he was either going to die or was an unqualified buyer. Each lender that they sent him to found bogus random reasons why they couldn’t fund him. He found an independent lender and was qualified but now they won’t even let him into the house without supervision, regardless of the fact he is under contract and they have his earnest money.

Their management, to put it lightly, leaves more to be desired and their professionalism is severely lacking (irregardless of the fact that he has been in the business for, as one put it, “over 18 years”). Having the last word and being a right fighter seems to be of the utmost importance to these people including Todd **, assistant to VP of sales in the Phoenix Division. I recommend highly that you run far away from these people as they cannot be trusted.

Original review: July 24, 2018

Do not ever consider Richmond American Homes for a new home! Once they have their earnest money you're screwed. First the site superintendent insulted my wife by saying he "knew her kind" when questioned about warranty work should it need to be done. He told her she would be put at the bottom of the list if she became a problem. Then the driveway was broke during truss delivery and a second area broken a few weeks after that. Their solution was to cut those areas out and refill it back in because that is an industry practice and standard. Despite the CEO saying in their management statement they do not believe in mediocrity and strive for excellence, they fail miserably. This doesn't include all of the dismissive responses to questions (not ever had a house built before) and then the sarcasm when we seek out our own answers to questions they refuse to answer.

They got real angry when we contacted the city to get copies of what had been submitted when they danced around questions we had about an in-ground basement foundation being poured five feet above grade. Completely disgusted. If we could back out now we would but they want to keep the 30k we put down. No attorney we have spoke to will represent us and I find it funny the last one offered his condolences when he found out we were buying from Richmond American Homes.

Original review: July 5, 2018

We had a host of issues that moved to warranty following settlement. Two most important issues included replacing our oak stairs and railings because the incorrect stain was used and replacing the slider with the one we purchased. After several months of having to prove the dark stain was not the stain we selected at the design center, RA Homes agreed, it was incorrect. Their solution is now to replace the railings, but sand and refinish the stairs... not acceptable given we purchased new, not refurbished stairs - we paid a lot for the upgraded option.

Also, they replaced the slider, but left it unfinished inside (drywall not yet repaired and outside siding not replaced). I continue to submit requests for warranty work and they respond by sending the most recent Warranty work PM to visit, but not commit to completing the work in a manner that meets acceptance. In addition to the issues above, we have opted for an upgrade granite countertop that is not level... and they responded it meets their acceptable level of imperfection. We spent a lot of hard earned money on this home, and would definitely not recommend RA homes to anyone... find another builder!

Original review: June 25, 2018

DO NOT BUY THEIR HOMES EVER. STICK TO A COLORADO SPRINGS BUILDER WHO CARES... To date no repairs have been done on my home and we have filed lawsuit just to have Richmond be awarded lawyer fees. They are a first class joke of a company who takes advantage of people. So if you are in the Peyton, CO area do not buy garbage.

Original review: June 23, 2018

My experience with Richmond was terrible from the moment I put down my earnest money. The financing portion took forever. I ended up spending 5 nights on my son's couch because they couldn't get their act together and get the financing done in a timely manner. Several things had to be re-done - the tile in the bathrooms was extremely crooked and had to be torn out. The grout was never the right color. They tried to use some sort of permanent marker to change the color - it's still not correct, but I gave up on it. They built a wall where there should have been a stair rail and had to tear that out. The gutters were installed incorrectly and had to be re-done. The floors had to be torn out and re-done due to the fact that they forgot to put drainage under the house and there was basically a lake under my house causing the floors to lift and warp.

Finally, there was a crack in the drywall. They repaired it 3 times, but it kept coming back. Now, the repair looks worse than the crack. I am being told by the company that I will always have an issue with that area and they are not going to do anything more to fix it. Had they told me I would always have an issue, I would never have bought the house! Several of my neighbors have all had similar problems. At this point, I would like to just sell the house and move, but am considering a lawsuit. Bottom line...Do not buy a house from this company. They are the worst.

Original review: June 22, 2018

Beware this builder. They employ deceptive, dishonest, misleading, practices. I signed a contract and gave them $6500 earnest money with assurances I would receive it back if my loan was not approved. Their mortgage company offered such an unattractive loan that I immediately informed Richmond I could not afford the house under these terms. No permits had been pulled, no ground broken.

They refused saying my loan was approved. The salesman Pete said he could work something out. He also said nothing would be done without my permission. Without my knowledge they pulled permit and poured the foundation. Pete lead me on for several weeks saying he would work something out. I insisted I wanted to terminate. Finally I received a termination notice saying I would hold Richmond harmless and would relinquish all claims against them. I refused to sign. They have now promised to send another termination agreement. Contract was signed April 14, 2018. As of June 21, 2018 they have yet to provide a termination notice. Read reviews of this builder. There is good reason they are rated lowest in the industry. I would rate them ZERO. ZERO. DO NOT BUY FROM THEM. You will regret it.

Original review: May 16, 2018

Our initial experiences were great... great sales staff, interesting models, easy buying process and stacked design center to customize our home. Then a few years in, it all went to h-e-double hockey sticks. Each and EVERY time we've attempted to avail ourselves of any/all warranty services we've been denied... There have been three instances. One involving the shoddy manner in which the crew backfilled under our walkout/basement stairs (large rocks and site refuse) which caused our stairs to crack where they meet the house due to a lack of support. 1k+ expense.

The second occurrence was when our foundation crack... Wall/floor. We thought we followed the process to a "T", contacting RAH before we entered into any business relationships with regard to an estimate, repair, etc. 3-4k later, RAH latched onto some minor loophole and left us to eat the entire bill. Most RECENTLY, after a series of major storms we've begun to lose large amounts of shingles, so I assumed this would be no problem. Wrong again. I was told it wasn't "MSD" or a major structural defect. Three strikes. Not sure how the foundation and walkout stairs weren't "MSDs", but hey... ZERO accountability. No product support. ZERO. Buyer beware.

Original review: March 30, 2018

We paid a $45,000 to build a home. We were told that it would be ready in 6 months, but it is nowhere close. We checked with the superintendent if the home would be ready on April 11. He said that it would be done before that date. Based on that we didn't renew the apartment lease. Now the home won't be ready till end of May or longer. So I have to put my family in a hotel and live out of a suitcase for such a long time. We will have to put all our things in 2-3 storage units. Also They gave us a flyer that a tile roof was standard, but after they got my deposit, it was extra. They ruin people's dreams and excitement of buying a home. I feel sad when I see the look on my little girls' faces. SHAME ON RICHMOND AMERICAN!!!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

We bought our brand new Richmond Home just 2 years ago. And it has been 2 years of nothing but issues. We were lied to from the beginning. The building rep told us the fireplace was standard, also told us we'd have 2 furnaces/AC units (our home is over 4500 square feet). Both lies. We went through 3 reps, just in the time it took to build our home.

At our 1 year warranty walkthrough, we couldn't get our warranty rep to answer us for months. Apparently they also went through approx 5-6 reps during our first year. Many of the homeowners in our subdivision have had the exact same problems we have. After going to social media for help, a warranty rep finally came and did a walkthrough of our issues. Of course discounting most of them. We had a couple of repairmen set up (and not show up), then ones that did show performed shoddy work. A guy came to inspect our peeling woods floors, saying he'd get the manufacturer to replace the whole thing, but in the meantime, left us a marker so we could "color" the hundreds of marks and peeling areas.

So once some of these repairs were done, we tried listing our home for sale. But as each month passed, more and more issues surfaced and resurfaced (from the previous repairs). We finally had to remove it from the market. Our house was falling apart. We have a leaking hole in the ceiling of my son's bedroom on the 2nd floor. The roofer sent to inspect found that there's a pipe not even up to code on the roof itself (shouldn't have passed inspection, but surprise, it did). Our basement is moving, walls are cracking, doors are stuck and popping out of the frames. Floors are cracked, window wells popping off the house. Our siding was done incorrectly (as are many of the homes in our subdivision), but Richmond won't voluntarily fix them, until you realize it yourself... then it's a fight to get it fixed correctly.

I WANT MY HOUSE FIXED. I want it fixed so I can move away from here. I will never purchase a Richmond Home ever again. If there are any lawyers willing to represent 5-6 of us here in Bella Vira, please contact me. We are fed up and disgusted with this builder. I have made a video of just "some" of the issues in our home. Again, our home is only 2 years old. 1/2 a million dollar home and this is what we got.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

Do not buy a Richmond Home. I have had one for 6 months and I cannot get them to fix the issues that are under warranty. If they actually show up the workers they send are inept. Half the things on the list are still not taken care of. My calls and emails are ignored. I feel like I am contracting my own home. Do not buy from Richmond. You will be sorry you did.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

We bought our home and moved in almost a year later in March of 2016. From the very beginning of building there were issues we found. Well skip to about 6 months ago and we have complained forever and ever about multiple issues that they still have yet to fix and we are out of our 1 yr warranty. Well before that we got the county involved over 10 code violations they found that Richmond had done or allowed and our home was not the only one. We now have structural issues and they won’t address them nor talk to us and they are building a house across the street and have now done damage to our property and so we have now had to file a civil suit against them. This company is horrible.

I understand the corporate may be good but their regional offices and presidents are awful and they need to terminate them especially Ben **. He is one of the worst. The homeowners where I live are getting signs made to put in our yard to tell people not to buy and when we see people looking we tell them to buy other builders. They don’t want the crappy homes of Richmond American. We will picket if we have to, to get them to leave Harmony. They are awful. Just ask me what my house is like. They need to knock it down and start all over. Our general contractor said he has never seen House so poorly built in his 30 yrs of experience. He said it’s worse than some of the worst home builders he’s ever seen.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

We love our Richmond American home with one notable exception. The carpet installation by Aspire Design is the absolute worse. I have huge ripples in virtually every room in our home. I even have small closets where the carpet is rippled. Rooms where the carpet is seldom walked on is wrinkled. I contacted Aspire more than a year ago and they requested that I submit pictures of the problem. I did and am still waiting for them to respond. If Richmond American expects to maintain a reputation of a reputable home builder, it is my recommendation that they terminate their association with Aspire Design post haste.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

We moved into our home in July. It took 11 months to build because of endless problems. Yes, RAH builds nice looking homes and they have some great plans, but they lack in quality, honesty, integrity, promises, and everything else that matters. Our floors creak, our walkout doesn't drain, they didn't insulate well, heating system is loud, cement work is shoddy, and the list goes on. We are in Herriman Utah. Run. Don't build with them. Check your roof too. They nail boards in it to work on stucco and only patch the holes when they should replace the damaged shingles and paper. I can't say much good about them. Research them and their reviews.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

It has been our experience that Richmond American Homes does not live up to the promises they make. We were promised a worry-free, lock-and-leave brand new quality home that has turned out to be anything but. The attached photo is of our Master Bathroom after the 4th failed attempt to repair. The most recent attempt involved a contractor who was viewing a YouTube video on how to install a shower pan and tile while he was on the job. Our shower has been left in this state since late May. We have not had a working shower for 11 months and counting.

This is just one of myriad problems we have experienced with our brand new Richmond home. We have had frozen pipes, multiple roof leaks, mold, non-working appliances that were not tested as promised before move-in, electrical problems, safety concerns (including gas leaks and exposed wiring), structural issues, code violations, etc. If you are considering purchasing one of their homes, be aware that the contract is very one-sided in their favor. Also, make sure ALL punch list items are addressed PRIOR to closing. Make sure to hire an independent home inspector to prepare a report for you. Ours found many code violations, safety concerns, structural problems, moisture intrusion and mold, etc. etc. We closed on this property over a year ago and still have no resolution in sight. I STRONGLY caution potential buyers to think twice before buying from Richmond.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I apologize in advance for the length of this email, but a lot has transpired, and I want to make sure I explain our situation correctly. My husband and I began working with a sales rep, Ryan **, at Newman Ranch in Lehi, Utah around July of 2017. We did a lot of research into building a home and into our different options. We walked through the model homes several times, and on August 5th we decided to sign a contract and move forward with building with Richmond American. The next month flew by, and we were beyond excited. We listed our townhouse according to the requirements to build. We were scheduled to close on the sale of our townhouse on September 12th, but we received some very unexpected news. A few days before moving out of our home we found out that we are expecting our first child. We feel that children are a blessing, but this wasn't something we were planning on.

We wanted to get settled into a home before even considering starting a family. This added an immense amount of stress given the timing. We spent the next few days considering our options, and we reached out to Ryan about the situation to see what his thoughts were. We had loved working with Ryan and that point and welcomed his advice and opinion. He talked about checking in on the status of the home to see if he could give us a better estimate on when the home would be finished. We explained to him that we weren't as concerned about getting the house finished as we were with the cost of the home - we're not sure if I will be able to continue to work throughout my pregnancy and especially after the baby arrives. Ryan said he'd still check into the status of the home and get back to us.

We waited for a week and didn't hear back from him, so we decided that it would be best for us financially not to continue with the build of our home. My husband sent Ryan an email on Sept 22nd explaining our decision, because we had been unable to reach him on the phone. We waited another week and never received a response. This was especially upsetting, because Ryan had told us that he would be in constant contact with us. I reached out to their support email on Sept 28th. I then received a phone call from Jackie **, the regional sales rep, on Oct 3rd. I explained to her our situation and the fact that we hadn't been able to get in contact with Ryan. I asked her if there was any way we could get any of our earnest money back.

We completely understood from the beginning that we wouldn't be able to get earnest money back if we backed out of the build; however, this situation is not buyer’s remorse. We would love to continue the build if we felt like it was still a viable option for us. We are having a baby, very unexpectedly, and $4,000 could go a long way for medical expenses and other baby needs. Jackie was very understanding of our unusual situation and said she would look into getting our earnest money back and that I should hear back from her in roughly 3 days. I waited a week and didn't hear back from her. I left her a voicemail on Oct 11th. I waited ANOTHER week and heard nothing. I left a 2nd voicemail on Oct 16th. I still haven't heard from her.

I then called the lender we'd been working with who also works for Richmond American. She knew about our situation already, and she was the only person I could think of to try to get information from. She answered my phone call immediately and said she was surprised that I hadn't heard back from anyone. She had been in contact with Jackie regarding the earnest money. She explained that there wasn't anything she could do from her side but that she would email Jackie and tell her we needed to hear back from someone. Later that evening we received an email from Ryan ** with a cancellation contract. Honestly, it felt like a slap in the face. We hadn't heard from him in months and all we get is an email with a contract that doesn't give us any information. It was almost like we were being punished when all we had tried to do was explain our situation to people and to try to see what solutions there were.

I then sent a 2nd email to their support and requested it be forwarded to someone in corporate, because I wasn't receiving the help I needed from their local reps. They informed me that the local reps make the final decision in such matters. Well that's just freaking awesome since NONE of them would answer our phone calls! I had a 2nd phone call from Jackie who said that Ryan was supposed to call us. Jackie shouldn't have told me that I would hear from HER in 3 days, and she should've followed up with Ryan to see if he had contacted us. She told me that since we would still qualify for the loan with only my husband's income (which is completely bogus) we would be unable to get our earnest money back but that we would have a 12 month credit where we could use that money towards another home.

That would've been nice to know 2 months ago when we started this whole thing, but at this point we did not feel comfortable working with Richmond American at all. I sent Jackie an email explaining to her how frustrated we still are and that we no longer felt comfortable working for a company who treated their customers so unprofessionally. We also reached out to a 3rd party lender to see if we would in fact qualify for the loan with only 1 income. I attached his response to the email I sent Jackie, because he said there was no way we would still qualify. It's been over a week since that email was sent, and I've heard no reply. At this point, I'm no longer surprised. Do not use this company to build your home. They are unprofessional, impossible to talk to, and greedy.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

Be cautious and inspect warranty repairs. Had a roof leak "repaired" just well enough to make it past our warranty period. Now Richmond wants to deny the repair was completed in the first place. Very shady company.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

At first, we were excited. We went into the purchase optimistically, and wanted to give the benefit of the doubt to each RA employee we dealt with. However, it quickly went south. 1. Do not sign the contract until you confirm that you will receive a copy immediately. We were told to e-sign the docs in office, and then later were told the printer was broken. And we couldn't get emailed copies for several days. And then they sent it to the wrong email address. And they couldn't correct the wrong email address for weeks (and other departments continued to use the incorrect email address to send private documents until settlement).

2. Design center. We were looking forward to making our home beautiful, and choosing options, but we're given the old "bait and switch". Salesperson showed us beautiful hardwood cabinets in the color we wanted. We spent 2-3 hrs handling the cabinet sample to match flooring and hardware. She never mentioned until we were about to walk out of the door that the actual cabinets she signed us up for were a different model. Kept saying they were the same except for the with width of the border. I asked why we weren't getting the ones she showed us. She said it was because they were "handmade" and 30k. She never disclosed they were laminate. I didn't realize until months later, when we moved in and found that many cabinet fronts and drawer fronts were damaged. In a moment I realized she had tricked us, and that there was no way for us to know if we weren't looking for the difference.

3) A loosely worded Addendum was interpreted in two different ways. At first, if we used their affiliated lender we would get a closing cost incentive. That was communicated over and over. When we opted for an outside lender (because they wouldn't respond to our questions), we were then told the cost of the house would go up. After consulting professionals, we found that it was the loosely worded Addendum that allowed this. In the end, we found they were charging us so much more than using our own lender was fine.

4. We've been living in the house for two weeks (3 wks since settling) and still trying to resolve construction items from our final walk through. It's been such a slow process, and we are just trying to be patient. However, sometimes they make me feel like I'm asking for something "extra" when really, I'm just trying to get a house that is completed the way they told me that it would be.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

If anyone is interested in the purchase of a new build home by Richmond American Home Builders... RUN, RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN AWAY FROM THEM!!! Don't make the mistake like everyone else has... The quality and workmanship of these new build home is ridiculous and unacceptable. Don't buy a Richmond American Home.

Original review: July 20, 2017

We were disappointed from the get go. There were many things that were not done right and it was very hard getting a response to get anyone to first come and look at the issue and then get them to get someone out to fix it! One of the issues they never fixed is fairly early on we were already seeing cracks in our ceiling and the person they sent out told us that was "Normal" from the house settling. Normal? How is that normal when the house was less than a year old when it first started occurring! Now that we have had contractors come out they told us that it was very common especially with this builder for the supports to be placed further apart (but still within code) instead of closer together which is what is actually recommended. I do not get why that is not required!

Our house is 7 years old and we have had to have our driveway as well as the sidewalk leading up to the front door lifted 3 times and needs to be done again and we were told this is because they did not have the land excavated correctly! We have already had to replace the kitchen floor as it kept getting holes in areas that had little traffic and when we replaced that the people who did this showed us how the glue that was put down was allowed to dry a lot before they finally placed it down. They barely had to do anything to lift up the floor to replace it.

This company is just about getting in and getting out to get their money as quick as they can. They are not about quality at all. We also have had neighbors that have had to repair their foundation because of the excavation issues and they had to take them to court before they finally agreed to cover the costs since the foundation is guaranteed for 10 years. I would choose another company before ever coming to this one and do your research on finding one that is honest and does good quality work!

Original review: June 30, 2017

I have owned a brand new Richmond American home for less than 6 weeks and already have had 5 issues including electrical, plumbing, faulty fixtures, bad circuits, bad plug outlets, and now a big hole in my garage in the drywall. Richmond workers only work 8:30am to 4pm Monday thru Friday. Which means if you work during the day. You have to take a day off work or at least 1/2 day so they can come at their convenience and fix the problem they caused. THEY SUCK... Buyer beware. I wish I would have read this website before I bought from this builder.

Original review: June 8, 2017

Our experience has been a nightmare, to say the least. We signed the construction agreement in July of 2016. We continually had to monitor the process due to poor workmanship, i.e. crumbling concrete in the foundation, framing not done to specs, etc. Then in early January, someone set a propane heater in the kitchen/ great room, and left it on high over a weekend. The kitchen cabinets had been installed at that point, as well as the tile. The cabinets melted and warped. The windows in the great room and dining room warped, and the ceiling started to fall down. The heater was found discovered and shut off just before the house was ready to catch fire. Since then, there has been nothing but problems with this house. On the day of closing, the house was not finished. When we told them we weren't going to close, suddenly Paul **/ VP of the Utah Division, was on the phone to us trying to convince us that the home was ready.

We felt bullied into closing on a home that wasn't ready, simply because it was the last day of the month, and Richmond didn't want to pay interest on the construction loan for an additional month. We signed on the condition that the issues on the punch list would be fixed. One of these was the dormer window above the garage. It was initially left off until we brought it to their attention. The roof had already been shingled, so, instead of doing it properly, they built it while we were standing there and then nailed it through the shingles -- in the wrong place! It was removed and moved to the correct location about a month later--once again nailed through the shingles. The flashing could not be done right because of the cold weather. We were told they needed to wait until it got warmer. Well, it is now June 8th, we have been in the high 90's for a week and the 80's before that -- how much warmer does it need to get???

The tile has also been an issue. The grout is discolored throughout the house and crumbling in several places. The walls and floors crack -- not creek -- crack when you walk in the master bedroom and the great room. We were told that the glue for the walls must have separated when the house got so hot from the heater, yet here we are, 3 months into it, and nothing is being done to fix the structural issues! Another issue was with the concrete for the driveway and back patio -- poured during a rainstorm -- really??? That had to be replaced 2 days later but the back pad has still not been fixed. And now the final straw -- the air conditioning doesn't work! How can you even justify a brand new house with broken air conditioning already? Please DO NOT EVER sign with this builder! It will be one of the biggest regrets of your life if you do!

Original review: June 5, 2017

Buyer Beware! We have had more problems then we should, it's been a nightmare; to the landscaping company they hired to the builders! Shoddy workmanship!!! All of my neighbors are so dissatisfied! We all are constantly having issues which costs us "out of pocket" expenses that we should not have to incur! We're seriously considering selling the house and chalk it up as a learning experience!

Original review: May 28, 2017

We purchased in 2015 and after the contract was signed and gave the earnest money, our nightmare began. Starting with the poor customer service of the sales associate, making us believe that they were doing us a favor with the building process. I have no words with their finance department as they were always too busy to reply to the questions. The only "good" experience was the design center, in which more than 45K was given to the "upgrades" because all the standards were poor quality and design. Needless to say, the community is nice, the area around is dangerous and the builder sucks. Please stay away from them, there are much better options, maybe a bit more money, but is worth. It is a home, not clothes, electronics!

Original review: April 21, 2017

We built a New Home with Richmond American Homes (Chandler Estates, Apopka FL), for us it was a Great Experience. Now mind you, we did have some bumps in the road but this is not the first home we built new so we knew how to handle things. First and Foremost, I Highly recommend hiring a Home Inspector before purchasing any New Home. Make sure you check their references thoroughly, let's face it... We're spending a lot of money here! Every Homebuilder uses Trades, they do the job they are told... doesn't mean it's done right and that's Exactly why you need a home inspector. Also, get a Final Inspection. Pull Permits, get involved in your building process, this is how you can make this experience less regretful!

Richmond American expert review by Joseph Truini

Richmond American grew out of a local Denver operation and became a homebuilder that has built over 175,000 structures in nine states.

• Quick move-in option: Consumers who need a home right away can purchase one that’s already under construction and can be moved in to quickly.

• Three follow-up appointments: Richmond American has in-home appointments with consumers one month, five months and ten months after move in to make sure that everything in the house is acceptable and working properly.

• Available in nine states: Users on both coasts can get a custom-built home through this company. Richmond American builds homes in Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Maryland, Nevada, Utah, Virginia and Washington.

• Online information: Prospective homebuyers can learn everything from how to choose a home to how to improve their credit score and how to secure a mortgage on Richmond American Homes’ website. The company offers 10 free and downloadable guides, covering such subjects as, Basic Floor Plans, First-Time Buyers, Comparison Home Shopping, and Buying a House After Bankruptcy.

• Complimentary design service: Consumers can work with a design consultant at no additional charge. The company works closely with prospective buyers to design a home that meets the personal needs and tastes of each buyer.

• Best for: Richmond American Homes is best for people on a budget, first-time homebuyers and highly independent people.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
    Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Richmond American Company Information