1.3/5 (214 ratings)
Find a Home Builders partner
Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About Richmond American

Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Richmond American Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Richmond American?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Richmond American?

Original review: July 1, 2022

We Just Got a New home!!! In May 2022. We paid premium for Kitchen noise reduction, and Carpet a good pad. Kitchen is terrible. Most of the drawers are broken or bent. And is not only that texture paint windows sliding door Garage door. These is terrible. When I call the super only said I'm working only or sub. Do not answer the phone. That ridiculous answers. We paid a lot of Money to get this this. PS. If there are more people let's complaint. This Builders is the worse.

Original review: June 15, 2022

It's been 9 months and we are gracefully bowing out of the fight...The stress, lack of integrity, lack of communication, lack of transparency, and lack of movement on our home build with Richmond is just too much for me. My gut tells me that all those lacks will produce a lackluster home and that is just too big of a $357,000 pill to swallow. At the end of the day they get what they want which is to sell this home for 100k more than what we signed for 9 months ago and keep our earnest money.

I do not recommend Richmond American to anyone!! I pray that someday their treachery will stop. You don't have to lie to people to get their money. Just be communicative and honest. We Aren't making a big deal that we were told by our sales agent that our home will be built-in 5 months. "Which made us chose them over KB". Every month after that 5 months as long as she kept us informed of what was going on I was satisfied. But for 6 weeks now we have not received a single update from any superintendent about what is going on with our home and for months it has sat in the same phase, getting vandalized over and over again and that is UNSAT.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 10, 2022

Omg! This has been one of the most stressful experiencing I’ve ever had in life. We purchased our contract back in October 2021. We were assured our home would be completed in June. At the latest early July. Clearly this isn’t the case. From the beginning with spring down to picking everything out for the house was a breeze, going over the layout of our home all went perfect. Then everything took a turn for the worse. They have had superintendent after superintendent leave or move someone else. We were promised weekly check ins about the progress of the property but I can count them in one hand how many times we actually got updates.

We did our pre drywall visit on April 27th with our own inspector. A number of things needed to be corrected but assured they’d be addressed. It’s been a month and a half and no one contacted us with an update. It took me reaching out to my point of contact Jennifer over and over again to find out she took a leave of absence. The last thing she told me was the new superintendent decided that he was too busy to do the check ins with the buyers and he’d do that the following week. Well that came and went and of course never happened.

This new superintendent took over supposedly right after my pre drywall walkthrough and I’ve yet to hear a word from this person. So unfortunately I’ve had to just make pop up visits to property to see where the progress was. Still of course trying to reach out to Richmond. I called. Asked to speak to someone about the lack of communication and the progress of my home. At that time I spoke to operator 19 who supposedly took a message and said someone would call me back in 3 business days which was on May 26th. Guess what???? You guessed it. No one called me back.

So two weeks ago I decided to make another pop up visit and stop by the office to speak with Jennifer and that’s when I found out that she currently is on a leave. Keep in mind I’ve text, plus called and not to mention my realtor called not once she did say she was on leave. She never said a word. So now when I go into the office I get greeted by the person that took over for Jennifer. I’m sitting in disbelief that no one felt a need to let buyers know that our point of contact changed. I then get asked by Dalia “You didn’t get a call from me? Wow that’s weird!” Hello it’s a cellphone with caller ID, I think I’d know if you called me. Nope because you didn’t. Conveniently you tell me I didn’t leave a message. Your number is nowhere on my caller ID.

So moving along in the conversation I’m readdressing my concerns and issues and being told the new super is probably just going in and fixing whatever concerned I addressed before. Again you’re assuming because there is no communication on anyone’s part but you can’t tell me what progress is made because you haven’t gotten an update from the super. I’ve been given nothing but the runaround since I signed this contract. The frustrating part is I read some scary reviews and I addressed those before signing anything and was reassured but clearly I was lied to from the jump.

To this day I’m still waiting to hear from John this oh so professional full of knowledge super to even given me a call. Listen people. FIND ANOTHER BUILDER!!!! DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT TRADE PLACES WITH ME. Sad to say the same weekend I did another pop up there was a new report done about Richmond in another subdividing in my city about forcing people to complete closing when things aren’t even complete. This is WRONG ON SO MANY LEVELS. THEY ARE JUST TALKING ADVANTAGE OF PEOPLE. Shame on you!!!!

Original review: June 10, 2022

I went under contract on a new build with Richmond in October 2021. I was hesitant because I couldn't lock in an interest rate until I had a closing date. I was told by the rep that I would have a closing date by March or early April. By early June, I still did not have a closing date. Due to the doubling of the interest rate in that time, I was priced out of the home. The mortgage had increased by $1,000 a month. I reached out to ask if Richmond would help with rate lock extension since the build was delayed. The rep simply emailed back to say that buying a new build was risky and the buyer assumed that risk.

I finally let Richmond know that although a difficult decision, it was no longer financially feasible for me to purchase the house and that I needed to terminate the contract. I knew I would lose my earnest deposit, but the cost of paying for the rate lock extension and housing extensions was going to exceed the earnest deposit cost. Weeks went by and I received a call from Corporate asking why I wanted to terminate and asking if there was anything they could do, such as help with the rate lock extension. My original request had been ignored for weeks. Had my request been addressed when I originally asked, their offer of help might have made a difference and allowed for me to move forward with the purchase. By the point they called, I assumed my contract had been terminated. As such, I had moved forward with a lease on another location.

I explained all of this to Allie ** in their sales office. She initially seemed upset that this had been handled so poorly. My realtor had asked if they would consider giving me even half of my earnest deposit back. I was told no, yet they keep telling me that this house already has $70,000 in equity. They are telling me they will sell it and get an additional $70k over what I was going to pay, but they won't return the deposit.

At first Allie ** said that if I went to an outside lender and got a letter saying I no longer qualified (which was a possibility with an outside lender given that I wouldn't have the benefit of the incentive given to me if I used Richmond's lender and interest rates now are even higher), then she would give me back my deposit. Less than 24-hours later, she called to tell me never mind, that wasn't the case. I had come to terms with losing my earnest deposit. It was simply cruel to have someone suggest that I could get it back and then change their mind. I understand that a new build is risky. We are also in an economic upheaval that was not expected. When I told the rep Wells Bibo back in October that I was worried interest rates would rise, he told me, "there is no way they will go over 4%."

Richmond also never disclosed that the house was located right next to fracking sites. I found out by stumbling across a news article. When I asked Richmond about it, they said that they don't have any responsibility to disclose that info. My mother had pancreatic cancer and I am at high risk for cancer due to a genetic mutation. I explained this to Richmond and was told that I could walk away from the house but I would lose my deposit. Again, they operate in a way that puts all of the responsibility on the buyer.

After deciding to terminate the contract, many people in that neighborhood told me that they had heard nothing but horror stories about Richmond. Their poor business practices resulted in financial harm to me, and they come out unscathed -- in fact they will now make even more on the house that isn't even complete yet.

Original review: June 1, 2022

We are still under warranty, and they won't do anything even though the water in my backyard has formed a pond. My local warranty contact was fine but the emergency contact lady was very rude and had a very bad attitude when I called. (If your job named after emergency contact, you have to expect people call after hours!) Right now my HVAC system is partially under water now.

Original review: May 27, 2022

They are all yes men!!! Say yes but never follow thru. Run for your life. Do not buy from them. My backyard is eroding into pond behind my house and they keep adding sod and dirt that washes away as soon as it rains. My warranty guy will not return my calls. Do not waste your had earned money!!

Original review: May 17, 2022

The worst decision we've ever made in our lives was buying a new home from Richmond. Don't do it! They lie and lie and then after that they lie some more. They obviously train their employees to mislead the customers at every possible chance.

Original review: May 4, 2022

Honestly, I felt like I had a great relationship with Richmond early on. I received add-ons at their expense due to city regulations. I was really happy with my purchase at this point. However, when it came to closing, that is when everything took a turn. The day I closed there was still a handful of items that needed to be completed. Not to mention Richmond decided to slope my grading in my backyard the day of closing. Myself and my neighbors were under the assumption that a retaining wall would be put in due to the elevation difference between neighborhoods. Richmond started the retaining wall on the first four homes in my community and then decided at some point decided it wasn't necessary to continue with the other homes and would slope the other yards 4-8 degrees. I am extremely disappointed with this. I would of loved Richmond to be transparent with me about this.

Based off the reviews I read, it's the biggest thing Richmond struggles with once the homes are completed, because they know they have purchase agreement that is favorable for them to pull this **. Especially if the city will buy off on it. Instead of keeping what was verbally committed to the community they rather have their paying customers deal with their short comings because they know at some point they can brush it off long enough it will no longer be their issue. Had they been upfront with me about this I would of totally been happy with this whole process. I just feel like in the end my neighbors and I got burned. Anyone that reads this review... make sure anything Richmond says they will do, make sure they get it in writing somewhere in your purchase agreement... because they will change certain things at their discretion if they can get an inspector to pass it off. It's sad, because overall I would of been happy if it wasn't for the end experience.

Original review: April 12, 2022

I signed a contract that was contingent on financing in November 2021. They approved me initially, and said my home would be finished by Feb 2022. They kept pushing the date back, finally got a closing notice for April 28, and then the underwriter for their preferred lender told me I no longer qualified due to interest rates going up astronomically, despite me getting my credit up and paying off my loans. Since my contract was contingent on financing, when I was declined the loan, I requested my $3500 deposit be returned to me, and Richmond Homes denied, stating I was in default and it’s my fault I can’t get approved. Now no one will contact me back about returning my deposit. This is completely against their contract and illegal.

Original review: March 7, 2022

Our fireplace will not work anymore. We've only been living here for not quite three years. This was a new build. Had to call a fireplace company to come look at it. Turns out, we were given the cheapest contractor grade fireplace. They put the wrong wiring in it, didn't insulate where the gas line is, so cold air was coming in and we could have had mice getting into the house. Then when the guy went outside to look at the vent, the fireplace installers never pulled the ventilation hose out far enough. The vent is not flush on the house or sealed. We had carbon monoxide coming back in! How did this pass inspection??

We also have drywall problems. Where the drywall on the ceiling meets the drywall on the wall it's buckling and cracking. We have this in the hall bathroom, outside the powder room and in our walk-in closet. The main bedroom bathroom floor grout has cracked and come out. Not happy with the quality of work. We paid a lot of money and at least expect our house to hold up longer than two and a half years.

Richmond American author review by Joseph Truini

Richmond American grew out of a local Denver operation and became a homebuilder that has built over 175,000 structures in nine states.

• Quick move-in option: Consumers who need a home right away can purchase one that’s already under construction and can be moved in to quickly.

• Three follow-up appointments: Richmond American has in-home appointments with consumers one month, five months and ten months after move in to make sure that everything in the house is acceptable and working properly.

• Available in nine states: Users on both coasts can get a custom-built home through this company. Richmond American builds homes in Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Maryland, Nevada, Utah, Virginia and Washington.

• Online information: Prospective homebuyers can learn everything from how to choose a home to how to improve their credit score and how to secure a mortgage on Richmond American Homes’ website. The company offers 10 free and downloadable guides, covering such subjects as, Basic Floor Plans, First-Time Buyers, Comparison Home Shopping, and Buying a House After Bankruptcy.

• Complimentary design service: Consumers can work with a design consultant at no additional charge. The company works closely with prospective buyers to design a home that meets the personal needs and tastes of each buyer.

by Joseph Truini Home Improvement Advisor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Richmond American Company Information