2. Homeowners

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Richmond American Reviews

Original review: May 25, 2020

All was good until after we signed to buy. Then we found out the pricing for options was wrong so they raised the pricing. The sales rep used her mobile phone as a calculator and kept complaining about how hard it was because of her long nails. She showed us pictures of the exterior options from which we selected. However, 2 months later when we visited the office, there were actual samples to look at. So when we asked to see what we selected, it was nothing like the picture. Nothing at all.

After a week of complaining, they agreed to allow us to make a change on the exterior colors. From that point on, if we had a question or issue on the construction we were always greeted with "It's your fault for making a change". Problem after problem. We were scheduled to close the end of March which was confirmed to us during a construction walk-through phase on a Friday. The following Tuesday we were told the date was moved out 4 weeks and they had ZERO explanation or empathy. On the walk-through (1 week before closing - was actually moved from a Friday to a Monday because so much work still needed done) - there were many many issues still to be fixed and their response "we'll have it all done by close".

The day of closing, we signed, and then went for our final walk-through -- almost nothing was done from the previous walk-through. So then a list of over 32 items was created and they would have fixed ASAP. Now it's 5 weeks in and still working on issues. Some items they refused to address so finally had to contact the Register of Contractors so now work is getting done. Also had to contact the manufacturer of a couple items because the installation did not seem correct and yet time after time Richmond said installation was correct. Richmond was wrong and now must tear out a shower and install properly. They also have to rip up our laundry room and move plumbing and electrical because it wasn't done correctly.

Original review: May 20, 2020

Well, everything started normally – very positive and promising, we took a tour of the brand new model fully furnished and my wife and I decided to move forward and put 1k down to hold the house then another thousand (2k total to start off), the salesperson called us several times in one week trying to get the sale lined up for us. After a week or two we decided to get a less expensive house cause the mortgage payments will be more comfortable for us. So time went by and we haven't got any call or updates from our sales rep, we called him and said he was sick, ok. We started receiving emails from a Loan officer, Insurance officer, Escrow officer, requesting more documents and more and more…. Ok. So three months went by of back and forth with all these officers, and the sales rep never showed up in the scene only. Once a month with false promises and false dates.

The loan officer told us do not pay attention to those emails from other officers or company builders, only from him, ok. After 3 months our sales rep, text us we had an appt for first walk thru in our house to fix whatever needed to be fixed before closing, we thought we already got our first home purchased, with home insurance done and escrowed from closing, final deposit of almost 6000 (over 8k on their side already) and also our car insurance updated in our new home address in Haines City, Fl. I received an email to make the final wire transfer directions, went to my bank and did the wire transfer.

Our sales rep called for a second walk thru (A+ for the builder walk thru person, nothing to do with Richmond American Homes) and closing date set for 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 different dates, we called several times and talked to the sales rep and loan officer why so many changes. They said that do not pay attention to whatever other officers send us by email, only from him, will tell us the last decision. So we went to his office a couple of times to get final updates and had a strong argumentation regarding the whole process being a waste of time and money for us. Why they just did not talked straight and let us know the truth that we were not approved at the beginning, why wait over 3 months of lies to tell us that our loan was not approved.

Called our bank to reverse the wire transfer asap, so after a few days we had our funds returned. Thanks God we only lost 250 for documentation. Do not recommend this company for anybody trying to purchase a house, bunch of lies, false promises, very unprofessional. If we could give zero star in ratings we would have done it.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 25, 2020

I went with my daughter to assist her in purchasing a new home from Richmond American Homes. The sales associate began by trying to get her to sign agreement. After a month of visits and securing the home design, we were quoted a price. We made an appointment as my daughter is a first responder. They literally raised the price over $10k stating a much needed price increase. I wish we had read reviews prior to choosing this builder.

Original review: April 9, 2020

Have had many issues. The two most recent are a swamp in my backyard and a backup in my homes. I have gotten the run around as to when I get expect the issues resolved. I have sent numerous emails and made many calls and still nothing definite. I do not know what to do any longer. I cannot get a response from the warranty person or her manager. The company will not give you other individuals to contact in the company to help resolve the issue. The worst home buyer experience I have ever had.

Original review: March 22, 2020

Incredibly poor quality homes. 3 months after closing we’re still fighting to have our 4 page list of screw-ups corrected - some of which are very simple, like realigning the 5+ interior doors that don’t latch when closed. There doesn’t seem to be a square wall anywhere in our home. Drive down the street and you’ll see the ‘metal’ garage doors paint peeling off - which the builder has not yet offered a solution to. Expect that once you close your home will be far from complete and you’ll have trades in and out of your house (if you’re lucky and the issues are actually addressed) months afterwards - many of whom arrive unannounced with no work order for what needs to be accomplished and have terrible attitudes. Expect that once you close, your satisfaction no longer matters. Company leadership has been unapologetic and arrogant about their lack of commitment to their home buyers in the Boulder Pass neighborhood.

This builder has been absolutely terrible to work with. The Boulder Pass by Richmond development has been inexplicably sloppy in every imageable way. If you’re planning to build here, don’t. If you have to, definitely don’t use their lender, as it was one of the most unorganized, poorly communicative group of people we’ve ever worked with. Your investment is better off with any of the other builders in the Dove Mountain area.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Richmond American?

Original review: March 18, 2020

Horrible customer service and quality for the price. No one contacts you after the signing, repairs are poorly done, they drag everything and try not to fix things. Really overall bad quality of everything, upgraded cabinets are so poorly done... will never recommend.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

We purchased our home last November, And we have had nothing but trouble... when you pay that much money for a brand new house and upgraded appliances etc. you don’t expect garbage. In the beginning they were really good about coming out (while they were still building in our community) but once they were done building in our community they have not came back to fix any more issues, Our upgraded flooring downstairs has planks that are coming apart, the paint is garbage and wipes off when you try to clean it (And that was a huge issue for me, because I was pregnant when we had home built and I know kids are messy)?

I asked them about the quality of their paint and they said it was top notch....NO! The dishwasher has been repaired so many times and now the bottom drawer of the oven is broken. My husband has called them so many times about repairing the floor and I am so upset. If things continue this way, I am thinking of taking legal action.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

Hidden Costs - Not Honest. In general the experience was decent but the land we choose changed from what we were told. Getting them to fix anything in the first 1 year warranty time frame is a pain. Lastly I got my tax bill and it went up 45%. Most people I know their tax bill went up around 60% year over year. Copperleaf builders put a lot of the development costs into your taxes (This is not common). The tax amount is like $200 a month plus your HOA fee.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

We spent almost $400k for a new house in Surprise. 14 months later we are still waiting for repairs to be made. Our stem wall and stucco work along the outside of the house looks like a two year old installed it. Nails are present. Weep screeds are missing and most are not installed properly. We were told by warranty, that his subcontractor cannot make it better, but it will cost me several thousand dollars to have it don’t correctly. Also my upstairs bannister is loose and wobbly. Sections of the wall have been removed and it is apparent that the 2 x 4s are broken, but they refuse to remove and replace. Finally, my little spot of grass that I had installed is overcome by crab grass and dead. We had severe ponding issues but instead of regrading, swales were dug all throughout the backyard. Now I have trenches everywhere. For the money that was spent, the quality is not even close to the desired level.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

The experience of working with Richmond American Homes was wonderful. We had initially decided on a different builder, however, upon seeing the floor plans and location of Harmony (our community by Richmond), we knew we were going to use Richmond instead. Our sales rep, Kristin **, was wonderful and would text us pictures of the home each week, which we'd proudly share with friends and family to show them the progress. Our interior finishes field rep, Scott **, was absolutely wonderful. He stayed long nights to ensure our home would close on time and did a wonderful job. For example, our 1st construction superintendent forgot to build in a linen closet that we ordered; Scott wasted no time and had this built out before closing to ensure it did not have to be done after we moved in.

We moved into our dream home at the end of November and less than a month later, we were hosting Christmas. All of our friends and family commented how much they loved our home. Also, as a heads up, we'd highly recommend paying the extra little bit to upgrade to a bigger lot. We did and we're so happy that our pup has lots of room to run around. Thanks, Richmond American Homes!

Richmond American author review by Joseph Truini

Richmond American grew out of a local Denver operation and became a homebuilder that has built over 175,000 structures in nine states.

• Quick move-in option: Consumers who need a home right away can purchase one that’s already under construction and can be moved in to quickly.

• Three follow-up appointments: Richmond American has in-home appointments with consumers one month, five months and ten months after move in to make sure that everything in the house is acceptable and working properly.

• Available in nine states: Users on both coasts can get a custom-built home through this company. Richmond American builds homes in Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Maryland, Nevada, Utah, Virginia and Washington.

• Online information: Prospective homebuyers can learn everything from how to choose a home to how to improve their credit score and how to secure a mortgage on Richmond American Homes’ website. The company offers 10 free and downloadable guides, covering such subjects as, Basic Floor Plans, First-Time Buyers, Comparison Home Shopping, and Buying a House After Bankruptcy.

• Complimentary design service: Consumers can work with a design consultant at no additional charge. The company works closely with prospective buyers to design a home that meets the personal needs and tastes of each buyer.

by Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Richmond American Company Information