2. Homeowners
  3. Home Builders

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.32/5

Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Richmond American Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Richmond American?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Richmond American?

Original review: March 20, 2021

Liars, scammers, do not buy from Richmond homes. They half ** construction that isn’t up to code. They hire staff with no education and contractors that don’t know how to work on homes. Their superintendents can’t manage the construction. They con you out of earnest and never gubernatorial you direct answers. How are they still in business in Colorado? Find another builder or you will have a below average built home with the roof crumbling down.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

I own the Moonstone model that I closed on June 29th 2020 with Richmond American. The sales process was good, the layout of the house excellent, even the overall quality is good. We are within our year warranty and we were supposed to have our set reviews of what needed to be fixed. SILENCE. The company doesn't reach out, and we have an open warranty issue that has been months since we have heard anything.

They seem so far to be the builder that will wow you with service upfront, pay attention to you 30 days in, and move on and forget your name after that time frame. On going customer service is hard to come by. Left messages, use the website to log issues, text the superintendent of the neighborhood and messages are just ignored. Sad because the home itself and for the most part the buying experience was great, but I don't recommend to anyone that is looking. Check their competitors because the reputation has to be better than RA's.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

Many flaws that the company says they will address, it's been a year, and we are still waiting. Once you move in they just forget about you. We bought in Cornelius, OR. Save yourself alot of frustration and do not use this company.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2021

After deciding we wanted to build a new-construction home in Colorado, we chose Richmond American. After choosing a lot, paying earnest money, and making all of our selections with the design center, we got a call stating the permit on our house was “indefinitely on hold.” We got this call about 3-4 weeks after our projected time to start building. Turns out there was an issue with a plugged gas well, which is apparently common in Colorado. The sales team offered us all of our earnest money back and to look at other houses they were already building with our chosen floor-plan (meaning we had no say on design center features).

Being unfamiliar with this plugged gas well issue, we did some google searching and on our first try we found multiple news outlet websites stating this issue on the street of our chosen lot… from a year previously. Although the sales staff at Richmond were very nice and helpful throughout the entire process from beginning to end, and we can’t be sure, we are now thinking that they may have known about this issue without disclosing it to us.

It also took a long time to get notice when the permits were meant to be pulled weeks earlier. Since this issue was present last year and after being “fixed” and had another issue so soon after, we decided to get a refund and terminate our contract. We received all of our earnest money back about 2 weeks later and decided not to move forward with a new-build. I advise everyone considering working with new-construction builders to look up the street of your proposed new home for any issues that could hold up permitting or could cause issues down the line.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2021

The entire process with RAH was frustrating. The sales team says what you want to hear. If you want to have anything close to a quality end product be prepared to be onsite weekly to inspect the work yourself. Attention to detail will not happen by the sub-contractors, and the superintendents have too many homes to cover to be able to adequately catch the errors in the build process.

Pre Move in - be sure to have a flexible close date because anything you find that is incomplete or not done correctly during the pre-close walkthrough, will likely not be finished by the close date. If you dont have them fix it before close - you will be faced with routine delays, excuses or reasons why it can't be fixed. Holding out on closing is your only leverage -- Dont give it up. Hire a quality craftsman to inspect your home and give you input if dont have experience with construction - they will catch things you won't notice. Warranty work - keep detailed notes and document everything. Inspect the warranty work being done. Fully 50% of the time a repair was made - it either caused more damage or had to be redone. Dont be pressured into signing off on work.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2020

First, I will say we went with another company to build a home. We were going to go with Richmond American homes, but with the experience we had we walked away. We dealt with Anthony in a Goodyear community. He seemed professional and nice at first, but soon it was apparent he didn’t care about us, just the sale. We were going to use their preferred lender because they would pay closing costs. The lender was impossible to get ahold of. Could care less and had no urgency. Anthony sold us on a lot and urged us to get pre-qualified immediately to get it. Well we tried to but Janelle at their lending company took days to get back to us and then days more to get back to Anthony. In that time Anthony sold the lot to someone else.

The lender was a joke. I tried to get ahold of her so many times. She didn’t care. So then we looked at another community because that one was sold out. They said it would be opening in a few months so we thought we’d wait because we liked the house. Then they kept pushing back the opening for that community. It just seems like this company is an unorganized mess. I’m so glad it ended up not working out and went with another builder. We were able to get pre-qualified immediately and get what we wanted. I have a feeling it would have been a nightmare with Richmond American.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

We were looking at buying a new built but the agent we were working with treated us as he was doing a favor, and didn’t assist us. We made a complaint and asked for a different sales person and they would not. They wanted to charge 6,000 for a premium lot but when asked was told it's above his pay scale. Our real estate agent was shocked due to there was nothing premium about the lot or area. A lot of information was not given or we told above his pay grade. I would never look at buying a new build with this company. Our agent even called corporate and no call. A lot of hidden costs that they try to avoid telling you.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2020

The sales agent (Brian) at their model home in Kemmer Ridge, Beaverton, OR is not at all professional and is utterly rude. He is not willing to listen or address any questions or concern consumers have. I was working to make a deal and negotiating in good faith. He acted like he was doing me a favor. There was a constant back and forth dialogue with him being on phone all the time during the discussion with some sales manager he claimed. We requested our offer to the price that was reasonable but he out-rightly declined it in a rude manner and never got to back to us with the offer update and when contacted there seems to be no response. I would not recommend buying from this company. If they are acting like this when you are buying a home, how will they respond if you have warranty or home fixes? Think for yourself.

Second, they have been selling these so-called "custom homes" but they are not they keeping on hiking the base price every 2-3 days by $5000 on their mediocre homes (check the price history on Zillow/redfin and you will see for yourself). Scamming people by charging lot premium for not so premium lots and misleading them to buy what they don't like or have lesser of an interest in. How would every lot in the community be premium? They inform something in person for a plan about base price and when I check the information online the price is $100k below than what was told to me!!! Feels like a SCAM! Please don't buy from this company!!

Original review: July 28, 2020

We had our 2 week check to go over any repairs. That individual was fired we were told and then he threw away all his notes without putting them into the system

Then Covid hit. Home repairs naturally stopped during this time. They came back afterwards. My kitchen island which is quartz had 2 nicks in it. We were told this is normal and should not expect it to be replaced. Very disappointing. There were a few other repairs that they refused to fix because they were not pointed out previously. How would they know that if the man threw away all his notes. We love this house but feel they hurried through final finishes in order to close by the end of the year.

Original review: July 26, 2020

We had our eyes on a Richmond American home in Elk Grove, CA at Laguna Ranch. First of all, the customer service is horrible! No one can ever seem to answer a direct question. Next, they ask for a thousand documents but then take forever to respond. When I finally got all the documents to them, some guy (loan officer named Robert) that I never spoke with before, responded back in about 3 hours saying that we had insufficient income, which was a total lie! Our 6 figure income was about $165,000 combined with an 800 credit score! I sent him a message back asking what was sufficient if that wasn't?

The coward did not respond because I think he never reviewed the documents at all! I was approved by Bank of America 2 days later. I got curious about Richmond American and did my research! So glad I did! They are a piece of CRAP! Every review I read about the Elk Grove, CA homes were was 1 star! Glad I didn't waste my time and money! Thanks for NOT doing your job Robert!!

Richmond American author review by Joseph Truini

Richmond American grew out of a local Denver operation and became a homebuilder that has built over 175,000 structures in nine states.

• Quick move-in option: Consumers who need a home right away can purchase one that’s already under construction and can be moved in to quickly.

• Three follow-up appointments: Richmond American has in-home appointments with consumers one month, five months and ten months after move in to make sure that everything in the house is acceptable and working properly.

• Available in nine states: Users on both coasts can get a custom-built home through this company. Richmond American builds homes in Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Maryland, Nevada, Utah, Virginia and Washington.

• Online information: Prospective homebuyers can learn everything from how to choose a home to how to improve their credit score and how to secure a mortgage on Richmond American Homes’ website. The company offers 10 free and downloadable guides, covering such subjects as, Basic Floor Plans, First-Time Buyers, Comparison Home Shopping, and Buying a House After Bankruptcy.

• Complimentary design service: Consumers can work with a design consultant at no additional charge. The company works closely with prospective buyers to design a home that meets the personal needs and tastes of each buyer.

by Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Richmond American Company Information