Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Richmond American Reviews

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I was getting a home built and wanted to add washer and dryer hookups to the basement. They said they could do it no problem. After plumbing was in and backfilled, I asked if they did the plumbing. He said he’d check. Three weeks no response. Never gave me a price either. So the secretary or whatever she is, tells me “if I still want the plumbing it has to go on Monday." This was on a Thursday or Friday, as the inspectors are coming Tuesday. I asked if they did the drain or dryer vent. She said again “if I wanted it I would have to sign off to pay for it NOT KNOWING the price.” I told her that was ridiculous. She then suggested that we could but the dryer vent through the window. Which is against the building code. I backed out of the build. I’m waiting for the refund as we speak. Might have to get a lawyer. We'll see.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

We bought the house January 2013. After two years of owning the house we start having issues with the HVAC unit. Had a company come out and they told us the ductwork in the attic was not up to code. That time we called Richmond American even though we were four months past our warranty. They came out and said they fixed. Since then we’ve had more issues or problems with the HVAC unit. We have a three zoned house. The unit cannot keep up with the size of our house says the two other HVAC companies that have come out to give us quotes to fix the unit.

In the meantime I’ve contacted Richmond American and they won’t return a call. They built so many homes that all they wanna do is get them finished so they can sell them. I’m not the only one in my community the time in these issues. When they came out to fix the unit and the ductwork it was not fixed properly then. They put in backwards Y’s which help send and return the air into the unit. Since we are out of warranty they won’t even talk to you. They refuse to admit to the issue even though I’m not the only person experiencing this problem. It’s sad that they don’t care about the jokes they build once they’ve been sold.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

Garage leaked near roof. A/C failed within warranty period when we rarely were there to use it. Hole developed in kitchen cabinet. Bottom made of thin particle board, under sink. Exterior paint not completed properly, needed to be redone. Drainage problem near south facing foundation caused by poor leveling or grading of land, since neighbor's elevation of their yard is higher than ours. Completely flooded now and not draining.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

We just purchased through Richmond a year ago and although we like the house we would not go through them again-EVER! We had to close on time and be out of our previous home and they promised to get the unfinished projects in our home completed within the month. We are now at month six with nothing resolved from when we moved in!! I have contacted the project manager twice AND his boss yet nothing has been fixed. I finally had to get on YouTube and ask neighbors how to fix certain items because I was sick of looking at unfinished work in a brand new house!! They just opened a new development and I feel like they put ours on the back burner and all they care about is building and making money--forget about those of us who have already spent thousands of dollars and are still waiting to get things fixed. I have multiple neighbors who have experienced the same issue and we've all had it. If I were you, I would look elsewhere.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

We put down earnest funds on a quick-move in home and decided to back out after a few days of signing and these crooks keep giving us the runaround with returning our earnest funds of $3500. They initially said it would be returned within two weeks, now two weeks later and they say they just started the process to wait another 30 days. People, do not buy from these crooks. Read the reviews...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Richmond American?

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I am really surprised with the lack of quality and work by Richmond American Homes. The contractors are not consistent and the work between each home in the same development varies. The builder came across consistent issues with multiple door leaks and did not correct them in all the homes. Instead they wait hoping the homeowners do not see or report any water leak issues. I have standing water on my roof which in their warranty says they will fix and they have not. I have major issues with the subfloor and hardwoods and the hardwood inspector, hardwood installer, and framing company are pointing fingers at each other and they will not fix it.

The waterline to my HVAC/dehumidifier never was installed and attached. The service person is really wonderful but you can tell he is overworked and not able to stay on top off ALL the projects that need to be repaired. Communication is really bad. The workmanship is poor and inferior product used by the builder. Richmond is cutting a lot of corners. This warranty is costing me a lot of time off of work, headaches, and my issues are still not fixed. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I am filing a lawsuit against Richmond. They are liars, cheats, and have no integrity. The sales Vice President Michael Frenchy and Todd ** are liars. I have cancer, and ever since I started with them a year ago it’s been a nightmare. I had a Paxton model built in Anthem. First when they found out I had cancer the games began, I was told by VIP mortgage that I needed to open credit cards to increase my score only to find out that is the last thing to do. Austin ** was working with a friend having her do things only for us to find they were making it worse.

When the VP found out in May that they lied he said he would hold the home until I found someone. Once again I found Derick ** of Prime Mtg. All was ok until closing, I paid for an appraisal only to have wasted my money. Derick had gotten with Todd and they told him if he got rid of me they would give him more deals. I found this out from a Richmond employee.

Long story short, I have been scammed and have papers to prove it. When I asked for my papers back, I found my morphine prescription in the papers from 2 mts earlier. If Derick had been working on these papers he would have seen this! I had to suffer a whole month! They pulled the house from me, even though I was ready to close but would not give the 3-day disclosure rule! Frenchy called and was so mad he was harassing my friend to tears! Said the only reason he ever helped me was to cover his butt! I am going to file with the court next week! I am a disabled veteran with cancer! When someone pulls away from you and won’t shake your hand because you revolt them because you have cancer, that shows what kind of people are Richmond American. Stay away from them!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

So I recently lost my earnest money with Richmond American Homes. After sitting down with the sales rep and walking the model home asking many questions about standards included in the home, we decided to sign a contract. We were not shown any of the standard gallery options offered by the builder, however, the standards we were told in the model home were not the case. When we went to gallery, the options we thought were standard were not, and was we selected the things we wanted, they were extremely overpriced. About 38,000 overpriced.

After conveying our thoughts to the sales rep, we were told they'd see what they could do for us. 10 days went by no call or answer on the price of the home. Management is unreachable, answers will take days to receive, Richmond is not about the customer but rather themselves. Management admitted that the price we signed at contract was deceiving, however they are not willing to give us our earnest money for their mistakes on misleading my family and I. Stay away...

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Richmond homes come with a high price, but they are not quality homes. I have had most of my brand new home upgraded by private, quality contractors. Without exception, every one has commented on the shoddy workmanship and inferior product used by the builder. Believe me. They cut every corner they think they can get away with! DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

Worst experience for first-time home buyer! Nothing but issues from giving earnest money to closing day. Lied to countless times, communication is terrible, and things still un-repaired for closing day. They will always tell me something will happen in "X" amount of days and it doesn't. They only tell you what you want to hear. About 3 months before closing they cut a vent hole on the wrong side of the room in which the superintendent said he will patch up. Nope, never did. To make things worse, the carpet guys laid carpet right over the hole! I checked again during walk-through and superintendent was nonchalant about it like it's not big deal. It could of been a big trip hazard!

3rd day of moving in, I found 2 leaks in the roof in which one was into my master bathroom! I have emailed and called the warranty department and they refuse to return my calls/emails. Have major electrical problems in the home that has not been addressed. GFI's keep tripping and we have nothing major plugged in. Radon fan has been off for unknown number of days because GFI's keep tripping and sometimes I'll get locked out because my garage to my GFI will trip!

The only time they will contact me back is when they are around in the area and will just swing by randomly when they want to! On another note, they want me to shut off my sprinklers because my water is "flooding" the house they're building next to me! It's their fault they designed my landscape with a huge slope! Also during construction, they cracked my driveway and back patio. They said best they can do is seal it up! Do not buy from them. They talk the talk and don't do any walking. Once you close, you're on your own! I can go on but the bottom line is, avoid Richmond.

Richmond American Company Information