Find a Home Builders partner

3. Home Builders

1.3/5 (200 ratings)
Find a Home Builders partner
Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About Richmond American

Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Richmond American Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Richmond American?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Richmond American?

Original review: June 18, 2021

I have a home in Lake Elsinore, CA / Lake Ridge. I have ask, called my association for a contact number for this company just to get a floor plan or blueprint of my home, to this day they have not called nor contacted me for something this simple, when you try to fill out a form online it can't get though for your "STREET NUMBER" will not work or when you try to chat live nothing happens. Does this company even exist?

Original review: June 15, 2021

I'm very disappointed in the quality of the home I purchased in Henderson, NV (Cadence Community). I purchased my residence in mid May of 2020. In the thirteen months we've been there we needed repairs on our shower door a couple of times, faucets, our oven was out of order and unable to use for almost 2 months, doors realigned. We needed repairs of drywall, taping let loose and painting also the gas valve outside the house service. The large shelve in the walk in closet completely fill out of the wall to the floor plus a few other little things. (These were all covered at no cost to us just our time and in convenience) But on the 31st day after we been there a year the air conditioner broke and needed repairs. The part was covered which is $25 if bought on Amazon.

We had to pay the labor of $239.00 and told we were out of warranty by 31 days. I believe that air conditioners should last a lot longer the 13 months with what new homes cost. It's one of the major main components of a home. If not the main one in Nevada housing. We are very disappointed in Richmond Homes at this point and we are aware that they didn't make the air conditioner but should stand by the products or get better vendors not the cheapest that they put in their homes. 13 MONTHS AND NO AIR. UNACCEPTABLE.

Original review: June 7, 2021

My experience building a home with Richmond started out okay, but very quickly turned into a god awful process. When we moved into the house there was dirt and glass (where a window had been broken out during construction) everywhere. I can't imagine selling a house to someone and delivering it in the condition that Richmond is apparently okay with. Several things were unfinished or forgotten. I'm still dealing with trying to get some of these repaired/replaced 2 months later, and this has been the worst part of the process. Contractors show up having no idea what they're there for and then proceed to do a half-ass job of fixing it. I've already had several repeat visits for repairs on the same things, and am still waiting for someone to come do it correctly. Oh, not to mention the house was hit (while we were in it, after moving it) by a lift while they were inspecting the neighbor's house. Absolute clown shoes.

Original review: June 1, 2021

This home is a 100’ home. It looks great from 100’ feet away. But the attention to detail and care taken in building this home are just not there. If you like having misaligned fixtures, and poorly installed trim, floors and appliances, this is your builder. To top that off, the treatment and respect shown to customers that are buying $500,000+ homes was abysmal. From start to finish we felt like there was always some new issue that was either being completely ignored or that we were being talked to like we were too stupid to understand the intricacies of home construction. Many of the issues we brought up were met with “that’s construction” and laughter.

I spent 11 years in the military serving in several locations and being subjected to hateful and disrespectful people. I never expected to receive that same disdain here. I’ve worked in the construction industry as a laborer and a Project manager, so I understand what good work is and I understand how to treat people. These are both things that Richmond American Homes doesn’t seem to know, or maybe they’ve forgotten. I know that the world is in a crazy time with the building of new homes being at an all-time high, and materials being in short supply, but this is no excuse for cut corners and sub-par work.

I would have rather had Richmond push the closing date by a few months and do a good job, than to receive a rushed pile of crap. The money spent fixing issues that should have been done right the first time, is all money wasted. If asked today if I would still buy a Richmond home, I’d say “no” and I would never recommend it to anyone else. My last home was a Lennar, and thanks to this, my next home will be a Lennar.

Original review: March 20, 2021

Liars, scammers, do not buy from Richmond homes. They half ** construction that isn’t up to code. They hire staff with no education and contractors that don’t know how to work on homes. Their superintendents can’t manage the construction. They con you out of earnest and never gubernatorial you direct answers. How are they still in business in Colorado? Find another builder or you will have a below average built home with the roof crumbling down.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

I own the Moonstone model that I closed on June 29th 2020 with Richmond American. The sales process was good, the layout of the house excellent, even the overall quality is good. We are within our year warranty and we were supposed to have our set reviews of what needed to be fixed. SILENCE. The company doesn't reach out, and we have an open warranty issue that has been months since we have heard anything.

They seem so far to be the builder that will wow you with service upfront, pay attention to you 30 days in, and move on and forget your name after that time frame. On going customer service is hard to come by. Left messages, use the website to log issues, text the superintendent of the neighborhood and messages are just ignored. Sad because the home itself and for the most part the buying experience was great, but I don't recommend to anyone that is looking. Check their competitors because the reputation has to be better than RA's.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

Many flaws that the company says they will address, it's been a year, and we are still waiting. Once you move in they just forget about you. We bought in Cornelius, OR. Save yourself alot of frustration and do not use this company.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2021

After deciding we wanted to build a new-construction home in Colorado, we chose Richmond American. After choosing a lot, paying earnest money, and making all of our selections with the design center, we got a call stating the permit on our house was “indefinitely on hold.” We got this call about 3-4 weeks after our projected time to start building. Turns out there was an issue with a plugged gas well, which is apparently common in Colorado. The sales team offered us all of our earnest money back and to look at other houses they were already building with our chosen floor-plan (meaning we had no say on design center features).

Being unfamiliar with this plugged gas well issue, we did some google searching and on our first try we found multiple news outlet websites stating this issue on the street of our chosen lot… from a year previously. Although the sales staff at Richmond were very nice and helpful throughout the entire process from beginning to end, and we can’t be sure, we are now thinking that they may have known about this issue without disclosing it to us.

It also took a long time to get notice when the permits were meant to be pulled weeks earlier. Since this issue was present last year and after being “fixed” and had another issue so soon after, we decided to get a refund and terminate our contract. We received all of our earnest money back about 2 weeks later and decided not to move forward with a new-build. I advise everyone considering working with new-construction builders to look up the street of your proposed new home for any issues that could hold up permitting or could cause issues down the line.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2021

The entire process with RAH was frustrating. The sales team says what you want to hear. If you want to have anything close to a quality end product be prepared to be onsite weekly to inspect the work yourself. Attention to detail will not happen by the sub-contractors, and the superintendents have too many homes to cover to be able to adequately catch the errors in the build process.

Pre Move in - be sure to have a flexible close date because anything you find that is incomplete or not done correctly during the pre-close walkthrough, will likely not be finished by the close date. If you dont have them fix it before close - you will be faced with routine delays, excuses or reasons why it can't be fixed. Holding out on closing is your only leverage -- Dont give it up. Hire a quality craftsman to inspect your home and give you input if dont have experience with construction - they will catch things you won't notice. Warranty work - keep detailed notes and document everything. Inspect the warranty work being done. Fully 50% of the time a repair was made - it either caused more damage or had to be redone. Dont be pressured into signing off on work.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2020

First, I will say we went with another company to build a home. We were going to go with Richmond American homes, but with the experience we had we walked away. We dealt with Anthony in a Goodyear community. He seemed professional and nice at first, but soon it was apparent he didn’t care about us, just the sale. We were going to use their preferred lender because they would pay closing costs. The lender was impossible to get ahold of. Could care less and had no urgency. Anthony sold us on a lot and urged us to get pre-qualified immediately to get it. Well we tried to but Janelle at their lending company took days to get back to us and then days more to get back to Anthony. In that time Anthony sold the lot to someone else.

The lender was a joke. I tried to get ahold of her so many times. She didn’t care. So then we looked at another community because that one was sold out. They said it would be opening in a few months so we thought we’d wait because we liked the house. Then they kept pushing back the opening for that community. It just seems like this company is an unorganized mess. I’m so glad it ended up not working out and went with another builder. We were able to get pre-qualified immediately and get what we wanted. I have a feeling it would have been a nightmare with Richmond American.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

We were looking at buying a new built but the agent we were working with treated us as he was doing a favor, and didn’t assist us. We made a complaint and asked for a different sales person and they would not. They wanted to charge 6,000 for a premium lot but when asked was told it's above his pay scale. Our real estate agent was shocked due to there was nothing premium about the lot or area. A lot of information was not given or we told above his pay grade. I would never look at buying a new build with this company. Our agent even called corporate and no call. A lot of hidden costs that they try to avoid telling you.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2020

The sales agent (Brian) at their model home in Kemmer Ridge, Beaverton, OR is not at all professional and is utterly rude. He is not willing to listen or address any questions or concern consumers have. I was working to make a deal and negotiating in good faith. He acted like he was doing me a favor. There was a constant back and forth dialogue with him being on phone all the time during the discussion with some sales manager he claimed. We requested our offer to the price that was reasonable but he out-rightly declined it in a rude manner and never got to back to us with the offer update and when contacted there seems to be no response. I would not recommend buying from this company. If they are acting like this when you are buying a home, how will they respond if you have warranty or home fixes? Think for yourself.

Second, they have been selling these so-called "custom homes" but they are not they keeping on hiking the base price every 2-3 days by $5000 on their mediocre homes (check the price history on Zillow/redfin and you will see for yourself). Scamming people by charging lot premium for not so premium lots and misleading them to buy what they don't like or have lesser of an interest in. How would every lot in the community be premium? They inform something in person for a plan about base price and when I check the information online the price is $100k below than what was told to me!!! Feels like a SCAM! Please don't buy from this company!!

Original review: July 28, 2020

We had our 2 week check to go over any repairs. That individual was fired we were told and then he threw away all his notes without putting them into the system

Then Covid hit. Home repairs naturally stopped during this time. They came back afterwards. My kitchen island which is quartz had 2 nicks in it. We were told this is normal and should not expect it to be replaced. Very disappointing. There were a few other repairs that they refused to fix because they were not pointed out previously. How would they know that if the man threw away all his notes. We love this house but feel they hurried through final finishes in order to close by the end of the year.

Original review: July 26, 2020

We had our eyes on a Richmond American home in Elk Grove, CA at Laguna Ranch. First of all, the customer service is horrible! No one can ever seem to answer a direct question. Next, they ask for a thousand documents but then take forever to respond. When I finally got all the documents to them, some guy (loan officer named Robert) that I never spoke with before, responded back in about 3 hours saying that we had insufficient income, which was a total lie! Our 6 figure income was about $165,000 combined with an 800 credit score! I sent him a message back asking what was sufficient if that wasn't?

The coward did not respond because I think he never reviewed the documents at all! I was approved by Bank of America 2 days later. I got curious about Richmond American and did my research! So glad I did! They are a piece of CRAP! Every review I read about the Elk Grove, CA homes were was 1 star! Glad I didn't waste my time and money! Thanks for NOT doing your job Robert!!

Original review: June 24, 2020

My fiancé and I decided to buy a new home, we were not going to go with America Richmond but they had the home we wanted. All was good as long as we were complying with the funds and documents they needed. From the very beginning the sales men Martin ** pointing fingers at anyone else for anything going wrong with our home. First our plumbing sat in water for 2 months!! It had rained and instead of having some company pump out the water they let it sit. We had to literally beg for someone to please get that water pumped out so our house could move to the next phase. Martin blamed the supervisor Travis and Travis blamed the trades. Come on guys take some of the blame!!! Nope everyone is pointing at each other. The worst customer service ever! No follow up calls. No emails. No nothing. Had to push these lazies to do anything.

Now today was our closing date, we walked our final walk and some things needed to be done like putting the RV gate up which only one was up. Nevertheless we were promised the gate would be up today and we moved on to the title company to sign and close on our house. Only to find out that no one bothered to inform us that the gate was not put up and we could not move in till tomorrow. I’m beyond pissed at this sorry company! You all are a piece of work. You all jerked us around from day one. If any of you plan to purchase a home with Richmond American I’m telling you run and don’t do it. They don’t know customers service, they don’t respect the customer. This is absolutely the worst home buying experience ever!! I truly feel sorry for this company. You all are pathetic!

Original review: June 4, 2020

After spending nearly $450k on our home, they couldn’t even replace a tree in our front yard. We had an expert landscaper even look at our tree and the problem was with who planted it not digging a big enough hole. Are you kidding me? They won’t even replace a $100-150 tree? When we spend $450k on a home? Okay let’s mention the buying process then too. We asked to push out the closing date by 1 week... couldn’t do that either! Unbelievable. Buyers beware. Go elsewhere. Do your research. Scumbags!

Original review: May 25, 2020

All was good until after we signed to buy. Then we found out the pricing for options was wrong so they raised the pricing. The sales rep used her mobile phone as a calculator and kept complaining about how hard it was because of her long nails. She showed us pictures of the exterior options from which we selected. However, 2 months later when we visited the office, there were actual samples to look at. So when we asked to see what we selected, it was nothing like the picture. Nothing at all.

After a week of complaining, they agreed to allow us to make a change on the exterior colors. From that point on, if we had a question or issue on the construction we were always greeted with "It's your fault for making a change". Problem after problem. We were scheduled to close the end of March which was confirmed to us during a construction walk-through phase on a Friday. The following Tuesday we were told the date was moved out 4 weeks and they had ZERO explanation or empathy. On the walk-through (1 week before closing - was actually moved from a Friday to a Monday because so much work still needed done) - there were many many issues still to be fixed and their response "we'll have it all done by close".

The day of closing, we signed, and then went for our final walk-through -- almost nothing was done from the previous walk-through. So then a list of over 32 items was created and they would have fixed ASAP. Now it's 5 weeks in and still working on issues. Some items they refused to address so finally had to contact the Register of Contractors so now work is getting done. Also had to contact the manufacturer of a couple items because the installation did not seem correct and yet time after time Richmond said installation was correct. Richmond was wrong and now must tear out a shower and install properly. They also have to rip up our laundry room and move plumbing and electrical because it wasn't done correctly.

Original review: May 20, 2020

Well, everything started normally – very positive and promising, we took a tour of the brand new model fully furnished and my wife and I decided to move forward and put 1k down to hold the house then another thousand (2k total to start off), the salesperson called us several times in one week trying to get the sale lined up for us. After a week or two we decided to get a less expensive house cause the mortgage payments will be more comfortable for us. So time went by and we haven't got any call or updates from our sales rep, we called him and said he was sick, ok. We started receiving emails from a Loan officer, Insurance officer, Escrow officer, requesting more documents and more and more…. Ok. So three months went by of back and forth with all these officers, and the sales rep never showed up in the scene only. Once a month with false promises and false dates.

The loan officer told us do not pay attention to those emails from other officers or company builders, only from him, ok. After 3 months our sales rep, text us we had an appt for first walk thru in our house to fix whatever needed to be fixed before closing, we thought we already got our first home purchased, with home insurance done and escrowed from closing, final deposit of almost 6000 (over 8k on their side already) and also our car insurance updated in our new home address in Haines City, Fl. I received an email to make the final wire transfer directions, went to my bank and did the wire transfer.

Our sales rep called for a second walk thru (A+ for the builder walk thru person, nothing to do with Richmond American Homes) and closing date set for 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 different dates, we called several times and talked to the sales rep and loan officer why so many changes. They said that do not pay attention to whatever other officers send us by email, only from him, will tell us the last decision. So we went to his office a couple of times to get final updates and had a strong argumentation regarding the whole process being a waste of time and money for us. Why they just did not talked straight and let us know the truth that we were not approved at the beginning, why wait over 3 months of lies to tell us that our loan was not approved.

Called our bank to reverse the wire transfer asap, so after a few days we had our funds returned. Thanks God we only lost 250 for documentation. Do not recommend this company for anybody trying to purchase a house, bunch of lies, false promises, very unprofessional. If we could give zero star in ratings we would have done it.

Original review: April 25, 2020

I went with my daughter to assist her in purchasing a new home from Richmond American Homes. The sales associate began by trying to get her to sign agreement. After a month of visits and securing the home design, we were quoted a price. We made an appointment as my daughter is a first responder. They literally raised the price over $10k stating a much needed price increase. I wish we had read reviews prior to choosing this builder.

Original review: April 9, 2020

Have had many issues. The two most recent are a swamp in my backyard and a backup in my homes. I have gotten the run around as to when I get expect the issues resolved. I have sent numerous emails and made many calls and still nothing definite. I do not know what to do any longer. I cannot get a response from the warranty person or her manager. The company will not give you other individuals to contact in the company to help resolve the issue. The worst home buyer experience I have ever had.

Original review: March 22, 2020

Incredibly poor quality homes. 3 months after closing we’re still fighting to have our 4 page list of screw-ups corrected - some of which are very simple, like realigning the 5+ interior doors that don’t latch when closed. There doesn’t seem to be a square wall anywhere in our home. Drive down the street and you’ll see the ‘metal’ garage doors paint peeling off - which the builder has not yet offered a solution to. Expect that once you close your home will be far from complete and you’ll have trades in and out of your house (if you’re lucky and the issues are actually addressed) months afterwards - many of whom arrive unannounced with no work order for what needs to be accomplished and have terrible attitudes. Expect that once you close, your satisfaction no longer matters. Company leadership has been unapologetic and arrogant about their lack of commitment to their home buyers in the Boulder Pass neighborhood.

This builder has been absolutely terrible to work with. The Boulder Pass by Richmond development has been inexplicably sloppy in every imageable way. If you’re planning to build here, don’t. If you have to, definitely don’t use their lender, as it was one of the most unorganized, poorly communicative group of people we’ve ever worked with. Your investment is better off with any of the other builders in the Dove Mountain area.

Original review: March 18, 2020

Horrible customer service and quality for the price. No one contacts you after the signing, repairs are poorly done, they drag everything and try not to fix things. Really overall bad quality of everything, upgraded cabinets are so poorly done... will never recommend.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

We purchased our home last November, And we have had nothing but trouble... when you pay that much money for a brand new house and upgraded appliances etc. you don’t expect garbage. In the beginning they were really good about coming out (while they were still building in our community) but once they were done building in our community they have not came back to fix any more issues, Our upgraded flooring downstairs has planks that are coming apart, the paint is garbage and wipes off when you try to clean it (And that was a huge issue for me, because I was pregnant when we had home built and I know kids are messy)?

I asked them about the quality of their paint and they said it was top notch....NO! The dishwasher has been repaired so many times and now the bottom drawer of the oven is broken. My husband has called them so many times about repairing the floor and I am so upset. If things continue this way, I am thinking of taking legal action.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

Hidden Costs - Not Honest. In general the experience was decent but the land we choose changed from what we were told. Getting them to fix anything in the first 1 year warranty time frame is a pain. Lastly I got my tax bill and it went up 45%. Most people I know their tax bill went up around 60% year over year. Copperleaf builders put a lot of the development costs into your taxes (This is not common). The tax amount is like $200 a month plus your HOA fee.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

We spent almost $400k for a new house in Surprise. 14 months later we are still waiting for repairs to be made. Our stem wall and stucco work along the outside of the house looks like a two year old installed it. Nails are present. Weep screeds are missing and most are not installed properly. We were told by warranty, that his subcontractor cannot make it better, but it will cost me several thousand dollars to have it don’t correctly. Also my upstairs bannister is loose and wobbly. Sections of the wall have been removed and it is apparent that the 2 x 4s are broken, but they refuse to remove and replace. Finally, my little spot of grass that I had installed is overcome by crab grass and dead. We had severe ponding issues but instead of regrading, swales were dug all throughout the backyard. Now I have trenches everywhere. For the money that was spent, the quality is not even close to the desired level.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

The experience of working with Richmond American Homes was wonderful. We had initially decided on a different builder, however, upon seeing the floor plans and location of Harmony (our community by Richmond), we knew we were going to use Richmond instead. Our sales rep, Kristin **, was wonderful and would text us pictures of the home each week, which we'd proudly share with friends and family to show them the progress. Our interior finishes field rep, Scott **, was absolutely wonderful. He stayed long nights to ensure our home would close on time and did a wonderful job. For example, our 1st construction superintendent forgot to build in a linen closet that we ordered; Scott wasted no time and had this built out before closing to ensure it did not have to be done after we moved in.

We moved into our dream home at the end of November and less than a month later, we were hosting Christmas. All of our friends and family commented how much they loved our home. Also, as a heads up, we'd highly recommend paying the extra little bit to upgrade to a bigger lot. We did and we're so happy that our pup has lots of room to run around. Thanks, Richmond American Homes!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

I'm currently living in a nightmare of a home. The home is less than a year old and the kitchen ceiling has a crack from the patio doors to the kitchen cabinets, structural damage. Richmond has been aware of this problem but has not stop building, and every house like the one they built for me has the same crack the same structural damage! The hire realtors that lie, and install the cheapest material money can buy.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2019

We thought of buying a home in Layton UT built by Richmond Homes. Laurel ** was the sales person who was dealing with us. Initially when we signed the contract she explained about the contract and mentioned we can back out with in 7 days from the contract date and there will be no charges from our deposit money. We changed our mind and backed out from the contract before 7 days period. She said, she will be sending a termination contract email and our whole deposit amount will be refunded with in 3-4 weeks period.

We never received a email, after six weeks she mentioned we have to sign a termination contract and should come to Syracuse to sign it. We drove all the way to Syracuse to sign the contract. The next day when I called her then she mentioned that there is 250$ documentation fee, which she never mentioned during the contract or in the 6 weeks period before signing the termination contract and she started blaming me that I didn't listened to her during the initial contract signing. She was very rude with me and not even apologized me. One of the worst sales person ever.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

In late Oct 2019, my Buyer-client and I met with a Richmond American Homes Rep at the Landmark at Eastpoint location in Commerce City. I clearly remember that they had time to perform due diligence and could get their earnest deposit returned if notice given prior to completing with design center and prior to breaking ground. I also clearly recall being told the tax rate was 1.2. Within a week of my client signing on, we both alerted the Sales Rep that due diligence was being performed re: special tax district and oil as well as gas and oil wells nearby. It was understood that this needed to be done before moving forward. Also, my clients were verbally told by the Rep that they are not in a special taxing district only to be told weeks later by her that they are in a special tax district.

Also, we found out yesterday from the Rep that they got the permits and broke ground yesterday! In talking to the Rep this morning, she has changed her story... now claims the tax raw is 1.4 and that she said so at the start (not true as my client's would never have signed had that been the case). Also said that they were committed once they signed the contract, totally different than what we were initially told and again they would not have signed had they known that. Now they are having to deal with this mess of misinformation to get their earnest deposit of over $9000 returned to them so that they can move forward and purchase another home.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

Never sign off until they fix things from final walk thru list. Incorrect ac unit installation causing not draining rain water from backyard. Lot was not graded before the ac unit installation. What they did: Dug a trench for the walls around the house, all the dirt piled up between the wall and the house, dropped ac unit on top of the dirt without removing the excess of dirt and grading. Result: ac unit sits 2 ft above the ground blocking the drain. Instead of lowering the unit they are trying to bypass the water by introducing piping around or under the unit. Pipes get clogged and water stays inside. The worst thing is that they trying to convince me - a mining engineer - that this is correct. I am glad this people do not dig real mines - that would be a disaster....

Richmond American Company Information