2. Homeowners
  3. Home Builders

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.31/5

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Get started

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Get started

Richmond American Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Richmond American?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Richmond American?

Original review: April 9, 2020

Have had many issues. The two most recent are a swamp in my backyard and a backup in my homes. I have gotten the run around as to when I get expect the issues resolved. I have sent numerous emails and made many calls and still nothing definite. I do not know what to do any longer. I cannot get a response from the warranty person or her manager. The company will not give you other individuals to contact in the company to help resolve the issue. The worst home buyer experience I have ever had.

Original review: March 22, 2020

Incredibly poor quality homes. 3 months after closing we’re still fighting to have our 4 page list of screw-ups corrected - some of which are very simple, like realigning the 5+ interior doors that don’t latch when closed. There doesn’t seem to be a square wall anywhere in our home. Drive down the street and you’ll see the ‘metal’ garage doors paint peeling off - which the builder has not yet offered a solution to. Expect that once you close your home will be far from complete and you’ll have trades in and out of your house (if you’re lucky and the issues are actually addressed) months afterwards - many of whom arrive unannounced with no work order for what needs to be accomplished and have terrible attitudes. Expect that once you close, your satisfaction no longer matters. Company leadership has been unapologetic and arrogant about their lack of commitment to their home buyers in the Boulder Pass neighborhood.

This builder has been absolutely terrible to work with. The Boulder Pass by Richmond development has been inexplicably sloppy in every imageable way. If you’re planning to build here, don’t. If you have to, definitely don’t use their lender, as it was one of the most unorganized, poorly communicative group of people we’ve ever worked with. Your investment is better off with any of the other builders in the Dove Mountain area.

Original review: March 18, 2020

Horrible customer service and quality for the price. No one contacts you after the signing, repairs are poorly done, they drag everything and try not to fix things. Really overall bad quality of everything, upgraded cabinets are so poorly done... will never recommend.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

We purchased our home last November, And we have had nothing but trouble... when you pay that much money for a brand new house and upgraded appliances etc. you don’t expect garbage. In the beginning they were really good about coming out (while they were still building in our community) but once they were done building in our community they have not came back to fix any more issues, Our upgraded flooring downstairs has planks that are coming apart, the paint is garbage and wipes off when you try to clean it (And that was a huge issue for me, because I was pregnant when we had home built and I know kids are messy)?

I asked them about the quality of their paint and they said it was top notch....NO! The dishwasher has been repaired so many times and now the bottom drawer of the oven is broken. My husband has called them so many times about repairing the floor and I am so upset. If things continue this way, I am thinking of taking legal action.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

Hidden Costs - Not Honest. In general the experience was decent but the land we choose changed from what we were told. Getting them to fix anything in the first 1 year warranty time frame is a pain. Lastly I got my tax bill and it went up 45%. Most people I know their tax bill went up around 60% year over year. Copperleaf builders put a lot of the development costs into your taxes (This is not common). The tax amount is like $200 a month plus your HOA fee.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

We spent almost $400k for a new house in Surprise. 14 months later we are still waiting for repairs to be made. Our stem wall and stucco work along the outside of the house looks like a two year old installed it. Nails are present. Weep screeds are missing and most are not installed properly. We were told by warranty, that his subcontractor cannot make it better, but it will cost me several thousand dollars to have it don’t correctly. Also my upstairs bannister is loose and wobbly. Sections of the wall have been removed and it is apparent that the 2 x 4s are broken, but they refuse to remove and replace. Finally, my little spot of grass that I had installed is overcome by crab grass and dead. We had severe ponding issues but instead of regrading, swales were dug all throughout the backyard. Now I have trenches everywhere. For the money that was spent, the quality is not even close to the desired level.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

The experience of working with Richmond American Homes was wonderful. We had initially decided on a different builder, however, upon seeing the floor plans and location of Harmony (our community by Richmond), we knew we were going to use Richmond instead. Our sales rep, Kristin **, was wonderful and would text us pictures of the home each week, which we'd proudly share with friends and family to show them the progress. Our interior finishes field rep, Scott **, was absolutely wonderful. He stayed long nights to ensure our home would close on time and did a wonderful job. For example, our 1st construction superintendent forgot to build in a linen closet that we ordered; Scott wasted no time and had this built out before closing to ensure it did not have to be done after we moved in.

We moved into our dream home at the end of November and less than a month later, we were hosting Christmas. All of our friends and family commented how much they loved our home. Also, as a heads up, we'd highly recommend paying the extra little bit to upgrade to a bigger lot. We did and we're so happy that our pup has lots of room to run around. Thanks, Richmond American Homes!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

I'm currently living in a nightmare of a home. The home is less than a year old and the kitchen ceiling has a crack from the patio doors to the kitchen cabinets, structural damage. Richmond has been aware of this problem but has not stop building, and every house like the one they built for me has the same crack the same structural damage! The hire realtors that lie, and install the cheapest material money can buy.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2019

We thought of buying a home in Layton UT built by Richmond Homes. Laurel ** was the sales person who was dealing with us. Initially when we signed the contract she explained about the contract and mentioned we can back out with in 7 days from the contract date and there will be no charges from our deposit money. We changed our mind and backed out from the contract before 7 days period. She said, she will be sending a termination contract email and our whole deposit amount will be refunded with in 3-4 weeks period.

We never received a email, after six weeks she mentioned we have to sign a termination contract and should come to Syracuse to sign it. We drove all the way to Syracuse to sign the contract. The next day when I called her then she mentioned that there is 250$ documentation fee, which she never mentioned during the contract or in the 6 weeks period before signing the termination contract and she started blaming me that I didn't listened to her during the initial contract signing. She was very rude with me and not even apologized me. One of the worst sales person ever.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

In late Oct 2019, my Buyer-client and I met with a Richmond American Homes Rep at the Landmark at Eastpoint location in Commerce City. I clearly remember that they had time to perform due diligence and could get their earnest deposit returned if notice given prior to completing with design center and prior to breaking ground. I also clearly recall being told the tax rate was 1.2. Within a week of my client signing on, we both alerted the Sales Rep that due diligence was being performed re: special tax district and oil as well as gas and oil wells nearby. It was understood that this needed to be done before moving forward. Also, my clients were verbally told by the Rep that they are not in a special taxing district only to be told weeks later by her that they are in a special tax district.

Also, we found out yesterday from the Rep that they got the permits and broke ground yesterday! In talking to the Rep this morning, she has changed her story... now claims the tax raw is 1.4 and that she said so at the start (not true as my client's would never have signed had that been the case). Also said that they were committed once they signed the contract, totally different than what we were initially told and again they would not have signed had they known that. Now they are having to deal with this mess of misinformation to get their earnest deposit of over $9000 returned to them so that they can move forward and purchase another home.

Richmond American Company Information