2. Homeowners
  3. Home Builders

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.50/5

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Get started

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Get started

Palm Harbor Homes Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Palm Harbor Homes?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Palm Harbor Homes?

Original review: July 18, 2020

House delivered with end beams on one side warped. Took them 3 months to fix. Interior door frames not secured to studs. Molding loose. Misaligned floor vent. Warped kitchen cabinet door. The list goes on.

Palm Harbor Homes response

Hi Pierre,

We are sorry to hear about your experience. We would love to investigate your concerns. Please send your information to customerservice@palmharbor.com so we can look into the matter.

Regards,

Donna Wilkie

Original review: June 3, 2020

Overall bad experience with Palm Harbor San Antonio, TX. We were left with no choice but to contact the state, we were ignored and if it wasn't for the state things would have never been fixed. They even passed the state's deadlines and incurred fees. Cliff the general manager is rude, unprofessional, was in our home and never apologized to us. There are a lot of spots in house to fix, caulking, gaps in wall, cracks. It's been 1yr and we are still waiting for them to fix many things. So frustrating to not be able to enjoy the home you put so much money into.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 30, 2020

I found a spot of black mold in our closet, went on the roof to investigate and found the shingles were sagging. Hired a contractor we pulled up the shingles and found the entire west side and the valleys on our roof was filled with dry rot. The issue was Poor construction, the roofing paper they used was short from coming to the edge of the roof which caused the water to wick up the strand board (plywood like product made with chips) and after 16 years our roof was about to cave in. A roof 16 years old should not have dry rot, The person who installed our home built a 3 car garage using the same material as the home and there was zero issues with the garage roof, matter of fact the shingles did not need replaced.

After reviewing the contract I found the roof had a 20 year warranty, I approached Palm Harbor where the home was constructed, they refused to come out to investigate they just said not covered. I hired a roofing company and a contractor. $$$ later we fix the roof. After reviewing Palm Harbor website I figured that maybe they might consider meeting us halfway with the cost. I emailed Palm Harbor headquarter in a non threatening way explaining the issue with the roof and attached pictures to point out the poor construction thinking since the web site mention about how they pride themselves quality workmanship and customer service they may at least help us out with half the cost.

My email went to Forrest Barnes, division vice president, the answer was No. It is really sad when a large company that builds homes for Families and preaches How the care about quality, customer service and doing it right the first time, are really unethical, has poor customer service and they do care about quality workmanship. It's all about the bottom line. I would stay far away from doing business with Palm Harbor Homes.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

We started looking at homes in November and we chose them because their houses on the lot looked very nice. Once we decided this and got everything done at the bank and told them we wanted it they started ignoring us after the down payment. January 16 our house was delivered and it was pathetic the way they put it together that first day so I gave them the benefit of the doubt because they weren’t fully finished yet. I was wrong! They put two huge cracks in our ceiling, the trimming was on crooked and coming off, there were nails sticking out of the wall, none of our doors would shut, and the list continues to go on. It is now February 24th and they have still yet to come out and fix the problems. This is the absolute worst experience and don’t recommend to anyone.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

Do not buy from Palm Harbor! We bought a home from Palm Harbor Cleveland in November. It’s been a nightmare since. First of all the steps we were provided were a joke. We couldn’t even move in until they brought out a slightly better set after I called corporate. They knocked down my new mailbox and said I should have moved it. We can’t get anything on our “30 day” list of repairs done, or even a call back unless it’s an emergency such as front door not locking or glass shower doors falling in on my 10 year old grandson. To top of off, they finally installed our skirting in February, after purchasing in November and it was the wrong color. They asked me to send a copy of a personal text message proving I had selected a different color. I wish I could attach pictures because the workmanship of the skirting itself was just as bad as the rest of the items on the repair list. Not good! Once you sign those papers, they are done!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

We went and picked out a home in May of this year. We were told that we would be in it within 6 to 8 weeks. This was perfect as our lease was up for renewal. We got all of our stuff done for the bank within a week. Then no word or call backs from the dealer. I walked into the office to find out what was going on three weeks after. They misplaced our file. I ended up tracking down the DM over the area. That was a chore since no one wanted to give his number out. We were then informed that there was no way we would be in a home within that time period. The DM and the dealership could care less about the customer. But, they have all these awards hanging in the office on great customer service. So, after getting the ball going now.

We went in to finalize the home order, which we already did once before. We picked out everything we wanted done and signed off on. Granted, there has been no apologies given. We closed 5 months later. They ordered the house, in the next couple of days, we get a call saying that the sink was in the model was no longer available and they were putting a different in. Umm, no. We picked out a home that we both wanted and that's what we agreed upon. After a week, they found a sink in another factory. What a concept that was. 3 weeks later, our home arrives. They pull the first half in and my wife says "The backsplash in the kitchen is wrong" So, I go in to that half. There is nothing correct that we ordered. So, I call the delivery person. She's off for the night, call the GM.

So, I call the GM. He is in a meeting and says, "It's the right floor plan. We are not taking it back and will fix it." Lo and behold, the other half is not right either. The GM calls back later that night and says, he's out of town and will look at the file in a couple of days. They call back and said that they are pulling their good trim guy over to FIX a brand new home. All we get is "It happens." NO. It should not happen. We signed off on a floor plan that got sent to the factory. So needless to say, it took 2 full weeks to remodel a brand new house. The reason it was not done right, The factory discontinued the material that was used in the model. Probably, if the dealership was on top of what they were supposed to be doing. We would have been in it on time.

We had 2 months more of rent and 2 months more of storage to pay out. Once again, no apologies or compensation as they made the home to what we ordered. The DM will not return calls, the corporate office will not return calls. The delivery person is the only one that has followed up with us. As we are still waiting for a door to get replaced. The quality of the home is like 12 year olds built it. The entire home had to be repainted, trim had to be fixed. Inside and out. The doors were not even close to being square. I hope I never have to replace the outside light, as there is a tub of caulk that was used to seal them. Go somewhere else. Once you are preapproved, you may switch dealers. Something we found out after the fact. Buyer beware.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

Palm Harbor in Millersburg built my manufactured home called the Lake Port. It was stretched costing me 4500.00. We found that the company made a hallway unpassable. So to increase its size they cut up my bathroom's 3 cabinets and deleted 20 cubic feet without consulting us about what they were up to. Instead of 1 set of cabinets its one door even opening wrong above a toilet. 3 large cabinets completely gone. Under sink they could have put as seen in model 2 full sets of cabinets with shelves below. No, just 2 big door cabinets and how can you store your stuff in a bathroom without cabinets with shelves.

Complain about fixing it, and even if I put the cabinets in they act like it was not mine to have. They gave me nothing in place of the 3 cabinets taken out but 2 odd shelves that don't even look good. They act like they can't do anything when in fact I paid for a bathroom that would be with all those cabinets. I put extra money into having a larger house. And what I got is a dinky bathroom because of it.

I know they will suppose to be fixing the other mistakes, like they didn't even come close to painting the outside right. But they seem to be more interested in their feelings than a customer's. They tried to force me to take their appliances I didn't order. Boy did they move when I said I am putting them out in a puddle.

Just can't believe how they put a huge mirror over a tub, when you would expect a shelve display. And the problem is they smeared silicone on the other side, so if I can manage to take it off the wall, that would ruin the wall sheetrock and all. Of course they can't take it off either. So all mirrors in bathroom are made this way for good and it takes literally smashing the mirror to get it off.

It's hard to say if they tell you that your house is being built with huge staples. My husband watched them extend our roof and watched them nail this way. Oh by the way, their padding under the rug is so toxic. Be sure to check what your getting and take pictures of the home. But don't use Palm Harbor. They only care about money. They are not carpenters.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

We chose a manufactured home for efficiency and Palm Harbor because we thought it was a quality manufacturer. Despite the story told on their website, Palm Harbor does not build quality homes. We bought our home in 2016 from Homes Direct in Merced, CA. I would not recommend them. Even if they think they are using good products, the construction itself is shabby. There are soft spots in the flooring, which should be impossible. Multiple windows are hard to open and leak when it rains. The wood framing on one exterior door rotted out. I don't think they caulked them. We are having to replace all windows and siding. The video on their website says exterior walls are 16 inch on center, but ours is 24. Overall, a very upsetting process.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2019

We purchased a double wide modular home in Sept. 2018. The home showed up looking like crap, nail heads sticking up, hammer head dents all over. The bathtub is leaking, the cabinet doors laminate is peeling up, window blinds not working. There is a huge gap in the transition between the master bedroom, and master bathroom, windows not caulked completely. I have been trying to get warranty work on this for almost a year, same issue as other customer complaints, they show up and then say they need to order materials, and never come back to fix it. Then when you contact them to find out when they will be back, they tell me they sent someone out who completed the work already, and they additionally try and make me out to be the bad guy. At every turn their warranty team tries to lay the blame for their crappy quality on me somehow!!

This is the worst work, and company I have ever had to deal with in my life. A brand-new home, built like crap, and somehow it is my fault. The only fault I can see, is having purchased a home from them. They have no respect for me or the quality of their workmanship. Do not ever buy a home from Palm Harbor. You will never get them to hold up to their contractual agreement, and they will belittle you at every opportunity to try and scare you away from getting any warranty work done or filing a claim against them. They do not provide any paperwork on what their warranty covers, either upfront when purchasing, or after the home has been delivered! I am a very dissatisfied customer, and wish I had a better avenue to warn people from buying their homes.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

This company is FRAUD and corporate might be aware of it but they just cover up! I used to work there and even bought one there. I don’t regret my home but I do regret that Dealer because all they do is lie! They make the customer hear YES to everything but once you sign they give you the finger! Spend your money somewhere else coz Palm Harbor is full of Lies! Especially the one in Houston and is ran from same management in Alvin. Gold key care and home warranty is paid thru your money so don’t believe them when they say it’s free!! Deny the warranty and buy you a private one with that $2k they will add to your contract!! They are horrible and I just pray for the day they go out of business when all the customers start suing them!

Palm Harbor Homes Company Information