1.3/5 (122 ratings)
Find a Home Builders partner
Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About Centex Homes

Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Centex Homes Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Centex Homes?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Centex Homes?

Original review: April 1, 2022

We purchased our home in 2007 by 2017, our driveway was sinking and now it's just bad. I don't understand how can a company do that to our property. Not all driveways have the same issue but so many do in our subdivision. I can't imagine spending thousands of dollars for a mistake the company did. They didn't prepare the soil before concrete. If I could do something please let me know. I would like to get them to help me some way. I don't know if I should pick up signatures to receive some attention on this matter.

Resolution response: March 10, 2022

I must update my review. Centex got immediately in touch and had a plumber come out the next day to resolve our water issue. We are extremely grateful for the quick response time in getting our hot water and water pressure resolved. Thanks for helping to make this right.

Original review: March 8, 2022

Just got moved in to our brand new house two days ago and we realized we have no hot water anywhere in the house except for our guest bathroom sink. Also, what is supposed to be the "hot" side has no water pressure. We call Centex the following day and they send someone out who "restores" the hot water. However he mentioned this needed a technician as the hot/cold were mixed up in the guest bathroom, the kitchen faucet needs to be replaced and the water pressure issues are probably due to some kind of block somewhere. He says they will schedule with us the following day. Turns out we aren't getting a technician out here for at least 2.5 weeks. We now have hot water in our guest bathroom, but everywhere else still doesn't seem to be working along with our water pressure. Really disappointed that this is my first experience buying new and my home isn't functioning properly from day 1.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

I intended to purchase a new build at ** in the Estrella Subdivision. I am sharing my experience with Pulte Mortgage, PGP Title, and Centex. Pulte Mortgage - They claimed to be so busy that I had to wait a month for an appointment and even longer for a follow-up. I spoke with Zach ** , loan consultant, who could not update the incorrect information he entered on the loan application. I asked more than once. I was frustrated and felt dismissed when asking questions. Pulte Mortgage would not lock in my rate. They kept changing the rate and their fees. By the time the home was built, which would have been eight months, I would not benefit from using them. Therefore, I didn't proceed with them as my mortgage provider. I left that supposed 8k in savings on the table out of frustration. Even months after my Pulte Mortgage rep knew I was not using them, I was still receiving emails from him and Pulte Mortgage as though I were.

PGP Title - I called them because Chance **, New Home Sales Consultant, said it would be smoother using them. I did not receive a callback. I followed up with Chance, and he reached out to PGP Title. Again, I never received a callback. Eventually, I did receive an email from Jennifer **, escrow officer, where the information was based on my using Pulte Mortgage. I felt that despite this all being one umbrella company, the representatives in the divisions do not talk to each other or cannot view the information as they should. That is the main benefit of using a one-stop-shop. Chance did take some time to update the contract. I had to ask a few times.

Centex: The framing was done. I noticed some damaged lumber and wanted that addressed. I let Tyler, the on-site construction manager, and Chance know. No response. Upon my follow-up, Tyler dismissed me, saying it was not damaged and said they were knots. My realtor told them I wanted everything fixed and the construction to be stopped so Centex could address the issues. Chance said that they were not going to fix it. I drove by the house and realized that Centex continued construction by installing sheathing that covered up the problems despite my concerns. I had a framing inspection done, and I'm so grateful for that because he noticed more issues. This house should not have even passed inspection.

Pictures are worth 1000 words, so you can see the lumber that has mold in it. All the nails that weren't fully flush with the wood. More than 50% of the wood used was damaged. The column for the patio is not fully supported on the concrete. They were drinking on the job. There were Beer cans all over the place. They knew my framing inspection was scheduled and didn't have the decency to remove the beer cans. This was more confirmation of their carelessness and how entitled they felt to selling this house.

Eventually, a meeting was scheduled about the way forward involving my realtor, Tyler, Chance, and Lou ** (Not sure of the spelling), the head construction manager for the east side of San Antonio. Unfortunately, he denied most of the findings, my licensed home inspector noticed. Furthermore, Centex refused to fix all the significant issues. Therefore, I did not proceed with the home purchase due to the below-par construction of the home. I'm disappointed. I'm frustrated about my wasted time and the poor customer service I received from Pulte Mortgage, Pulte Title, and Centex. This experience is unacceptable. I hope this is not the norm, but I will not use Pulte/Centex services again. I am so sorry for whoever purchased **.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

Would give 0 stars if was an option. We started the home buying process in February 2021. We set an appointment for noon on a Saturday. The sales agent didn't show up until 12:30 and stated she had no appointments that day, even though she was copied on the meeting invite. We selected a floor plan and cabinet/flooring package and were advised we were 20th on the waiting list. She email for several months and the wait consistently extended. We were then told we could not go under contract until the house is at sheetrock stage. We were advised this would happen in September and provided an address.

Roughly 2 weeks prior to sheetrock stage we received an email stating we were no longer in line for this property and it would go to a bidding process. This was a huge waste of time and house prices have gone up 20% in the area in the last 8 months. This was however a blessing in disguise as we have seen other reviews and put a house that better meets our needs under contract.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

Updated on 08/20/2021: I have been having ongoing issues with my Lennox Air Conditioner. Centex has sent out a tech from Artron, the company they have contracted with. Airtron has been out 4-6 times, they have replaced the dual capacitor and other parts not knowing what the issue was trying to find the noise problem. Now the air has stopped working altogether. I am a senior citizen and have been without air for 2 days This home and air conditioner are only 2 years, 7 months old and should not have these issues. Because I have been out of warranty for 7 months Centex said they will not help me.

I cannot afford whatever costs are involved living on Social Security. Lennox told me that I could get any tech I want as long as they are licensed HVAC so I chose to get another tech because Airtron cannot remedy the issue. I am hot and uncomfortable. I have started contacting the Governor, Attorney General and legal hotline for Texans consumer protection advocates. Centex should take responsibility for this. This air conditioner has been having issues since I bought the home. It is a lemon. Centex does not care for their people once the sale is closed. Unhappy home owner!

Original Review: I have been in my new Centex home for a little over 2 years and have had Airtron Air Conditioning, (through my 2 year warranty) out to fix the noise on my outside heat pump. Brand new Lennox unit. The times they were out they replaced the shroud (fan housing) but that didn't fix the loud noise. I told them as much. I can't have the heat on at night because the noise keeps me awake and is very unnerving. I gets very uncomfortable and cold because of this. The noise at times gets louder than usual and sounds as if a helicopter is outside. I am a senior citizen and just wanted a home that was peaceful for me and this isn't.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

Everything even remotely nice is an upgrade, and few of the upgrades have been worth what we were charged for them. In our very first meeting with our agent, she INSISTED we get the hood vent -- in fact, she didn't give us a choice, she simply checked it off and said she wouldn't even allow her own kids to buy a home without one, and that you simply had to have one in an open floor plan so that cooking smells don't permeate your entire living area. So we have the hood vent, and guess what it does NOT do? It does not vent smells. The only thing it DOES do is flap very noisily whenever there's any hint of wind.

There are a small handful of house models you can choose from, some one-story and some two-story, and the layout can be a bit different between the two kinds. In our one-story, the master bathroom is on the left side of the house. Both showers have a window above them. In the lot directly to the left of us, they allowed the buyers to choose a two-story elevation, with windows upstairs that look out to the right. Which means they could see directly into our shower below them. On our own dime, we were able to frost our window, but as the first people on our small four-house street to buy a lot, they should have had the presence of mind and the diligence to tell those people that they couldn't buy a two-story on that lot, or they'd be looking into our shower.

Construction -- Our floor is laminate, which is fine, but there are bubbles and waves in it and a rather large divot in one spot, which we noticed on the foundation when the house was first being built, but figured surely they would level it before they did the floors. They did not. We pointed it out to them once before our closing, and they "fixed" it. I don't know what they did, but absolutely nothing changed. The huge divot is still there, and there are still bubbles and waves in the laminate in one area. It looks AWFUL.

As for the walls, the paint that they used is, first of all, called "Devine White" (no, I did not spell 'divine' wrong; this is what they're calling it). It is in no way white, not on any planet. It is basically a very pale peach-ish yellow. Furthermore, they used matte-finish paint, so if you even breathe near a wall, it will leave a smudge. Also, within our first month here, the wall and ceiling started to separate from each other in a corner of the kitchen.

There were some other little things, like the sealing around the door had a gap at the bottom which was letting cold air in, and in one of the rooms the blinds were missing the turning rods. At 30 days you are supposed to report anything like this that has gone wrong, because the house is warrantied. So we notified them about the blinds, the front door, the ceiling, and the floors. We heard NOTHING back. At 60 days we notified them again and finally got a response. They scheduled someone to come and fix the ceiling, but they were an hour late. The blind turning rods and front door were fixed on the same day that the ceiling was repaired -- repaired, but not painted. No one notified us about painting, and one day a guy just showed up, in the middle of our work day, to paint. No notification. And we've still heard nothing about the floor.

Speaking of floors, the carpet is laid terribly. You can feel nails if you step on the edge of where carpet meets floor, there are places that are bumpy and/or have a bubble underneath that makes a kind of crunching noise when you step on it, and other places where you can clearly see where one piece of carpet meets the other. And now for my sermon on the Homeowner's Association. It costs over $1500 per year to live in this development, and the list of things you cannot have/cannot do is massive. Everything -- and I mean EVERYTHING -- has to be approved if you want to make your house and the surrounding "yard" your own and not the Stepford cookie-cutout that is this entire development. They will not allow two houses next to each other to be the same color, and when I say "color", I mostly mean one of three shades of grey.

This neighborhood is so depressingly identical and the houses all look like they were stamped out, as close together as possible. What is supposed to be included in HOA dues is lawn care and landscaping. Landscaping is a joke; everyone gets a tree and a row of some puny monkey-grass plants in front -- which have all died, by the way -- with some sad ugly shrubs along the side and in the back. EVERYONE gets these. And so far, at two and a half months, there has been no yard maintenance whatsoever. And of course if you want to replace any of these plants with something you actually like, you have to get approval from the HOA. The HOA will not let you keep your bins where they are visible. The HOA will not let you get a birdhouse. The HOA will not let you have a trampoline. The HOA will not let you have a pool. The HOA will not let you hang bird feeders. The HOA will not let you park a certain way in your own driveway.

The HOA is charging us for use of a community pool, gym, walking trails, and clubhouse that are not even finished yet and that wouldn't be able to be used anyway because of the virus. Were we told about any of the things we could NOT do when we signed paperwork to get our construction started? Did we have some sense that we were moving into a fascist domain? No, of course not. We were told the HOA would provide landscaping and lawn care, and that is all. Oh, and we were told every kitchen gets pendant lighting over the island, but apparently "every" kitchen did not include ours. And finally, every time I try to submit my review to their own website, AT THEIR REQUEST, there are somehow "difficulties" posting my review. Which is why I'm here.

Original review: July 9, 2020

Our Centex home was built in in San Antonio, Texas during 2016/2017. We found our "salesman" Joe **, to be pleasant, but as the building process proceeded we found options we wanted were not included. But because we wanted a home in a culdesac, we purchased the home without all of our options. Shortly after the first year, we noticed cracks in the walls and ceiling and doors no longer closing properly. The reason given was that all the recent rain was the cause. It was determined that the foundation was still intact, but incorrect grading on one side of the house was causing water not to drain.

The customer service manager sent a team to regrade the side, but poor drainage continued. Meanwhile my original service manager accepted a job with another builder. The new customer service manager (Ryan) listened to me, but never followed up. The only time we spoke was when I reached out to her. Even though a weak attempt was made to correct my problems, Centex was not willing to correct any of the problems. I regret the day I chose Centex to build my home and would not recommend them as a builder to anyone. In fact at this very moment the doors in my home are being repaired at my expense.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

We have had many problems with our new construction home built by Centex. I will mention a few.

1. AC/heating fan does not turn off upstairs.
    2. Water pressure issues throughout house.
    3. Air balancing throughout house.
    4. Plumbing fixtures and plumbing including toilets, faucets, dishwasher.
    5. Electrical wiring. Fuses tripping.
    6. Sod quality.
    7. Garage door opener failure.

8. Siding blowing off house.

... Many more issues. A lot of issues were not apparent until after first year when the first year warranty over. If you do go with Centex hire a 3rd party home inspector to check periodically check the construction of your home. I wish I thought of this. It will cost you approximately $1200 and save you many headaches in the end. Good luck!!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

Lived in the townhouse for 8 years. Random symptoms began after 2. By the 4th year I was very ill. 6th year I was totally bedridden. In 6th year mold was found in the master bathroom. A mushroom grew on the side of the bathtub and the next day the tub fell through onto the lanai. 700 square feet of toxic mold. First restoration. I continued to get sicker but couldn’t find the source of the mold. Then I thought about how the AC always got clogged and needed constant draining. Hired an AC repair man to open it and he freaked out about the pounds of dust. It was I that recognized the pounds of green and black mold. The AC man said the system was way too small and not even the fundamental needs of instillation were met.

The remediation team said the HVAC and all ducts and vents needed to be replaced but that was a temporary fix. For several reasons, the mold would continue to reoccur. The lack of ventilation between the two floors meant that each floor would require its own HVAC system, and both much larger than the one there was. The pipe from the AC should be as short as possible but for some reason it circled around the inside of the house fully, before exiting into the backyard. Had $3,000 in reports done on the home. On a moodiness scale of -20 - 20 the home was an 18.9. If it wasn’t completely rebuilt, the mold would definitely come back. Besides the AC the reports proved that there was water and mold in every wall. Only the roof was mold free. The experts said that I could never live there again and that all my and my son’s possessions were too toxic. 100K in furniture was trash.

When we moved I was 88 pounds and more dead than alive. I spoke with some of the newer residents. They were told to pour vinegar down the AC drain monthly. The only reason to do that would be to kill mold. They know they are building death traps and continue to do so. The mold is irresponsible and deliberate. 2.5 years since we moved out with nothing but the clothes on our back, I am finally beginning to feel better. The experience ruined me and my life. I will never regain full health and I still need to recover from the financial ruin. I don’t understand the laws but the builders can’t be held responsible. There is no legal recourse, there is no reason for them to make any corrections. Don’t ruin your life too. Stay away from those coffins.

Original review: June 12, 2019

Bought a house in Whaley’s Creek subdivision in St Cloud FL in Nov 2018. Three days before closing we were notified flood insurance would be required for the first year. Apparently they were waiting for paperwork from FEMA changing the designation. Well you guessed it. New paperwork from FEMA didn’t change our designation. Sales Dept people are liars and Pulte Mortgage company is right there with them. This may qualify for a class action lawsuit!!

Centex Homes Company Information