Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

169 Centex Homes Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 12, 2019

Bought a house in Whaley’s Creek subdivision in St Cloud FL in Nov 2018. Three days before closing we were notified flood insurance would be required for the first year. Apparently they were waiting for paperwork from FEMA changing the designation. Well you guessed it. New paperwork from FEMA didn’t change our designation. Sales Dept people are liars and Pulte Mortgage company is right there with them. This may qualify for a class action lawsuit!!

Original review: April 25, 2019

Bought and move in to our property 2008. It was newly built. Had discovered other issues: cracks in the cement slabs, cheaply built plastic fence, and etc. Until recently when we got one of our AC replaced. Discovered the reason why we were having problem with our AC is because Centex contractors must have rushed the buildings of home and took short cuts. Attached is the AC tubing line... Wonder what other issues are there and how many homes has same problem..

Get expert buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I have had a horrible experience with this company, and a shady sales rep. The Centex rep. seemed nice in the beginning but as soon as you listen to them and follow their instructions and turn in your earnest money, everything could go downhill. Be very careful when reading their contracts too, the sales rep. will tell you one thing and the contract will say another. Do not sign it at all if there is anything in there that you do not agree with. They will try to make you pay for their mistakes and threaten you that you will lose your earnest money after you discover their mistakes. The minute you start to see their issues, they take a very long time in responding back to your concerns. Read other people issues posted on their build quality as well. Buyer beware.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

We bought our house "secondhand" in November 2017. The house was built in 2016. Because it wasn't the "rainy season" AND the previous homeowner didn't honestly disclose a drainage issue in the backyard - we purchased the home. Come spring rains of 2018 and backyard was literally a pond! Centex refused to acknowledge there was an issue and basically said "oh well, it's your problem". What the heck?! So we had to shovel out money to "fix" the problem by trying to create a channel for the water to run to the drainage basin in the next door neighbor's yard.

Now when it rains heavily it floods a little in the yard but not as bad. Fast forward to today - 2/20/19 - between the snow and rain all day today the yard can't handle it. If you look at the pictures you'll see not one of the neighbors yards is flooded like ours. Ridiculous. The floors inside the house squeak like the house is 50 years old - not 2, insulation is missing in some of the walls. It's ridiculous. Whenever you reach out to them it's the same runaround. I will NEVER NEVER EVER buy a Centex home again. Previously we built a Joshua Home in 2001 and we never had an issue with - lived there 17 years. Should never have moved...

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

We bought our home in April of 2018. I've had issues with my home since day one. First, had water leak in my irrigation system and I got a $360 dollar water bill. My floors squeaks like a 80 year old home. They have gone out to fix it 3 times and it hasn't stopped squeaking. The people they have coming out to do the work have damaged my walls and ruined paint. Light fixtures aren't flush with the ceiling. A/C vents and returns aren't flush with ceilings. It has been a total nightmare - makes me not want to be a homeowner and go back to renting.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Centex Homes?

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

My wife and I purchased our home in early August 2018. Side note, when you close with Centex/Pulte they have you sign a “Table Top Survey” that states you are 100% satisfied with your new home. This is so the Field Managers can get their bonus/commission and Centex/Pulte have a document on file when complaints arise.

So, back on topic, we ran into an issue with our dryer not heating when we first moved into our new home. We immediately brought this issue up to our Field Manager who asked us to disconnect our dryer vent from ductwork and run a diagnostic on our dryer to see if this was a blocked vent. Good idea, and when we did this we still received the same diagnostic which told us our dryer was not receiving heat. So our Field Manager then made the immediate determination that this was a dryer appliance issue and we needed to seek repairs and/or replacement.

So, fast forward, three months later after having multiple repair appointments we eventually have to purchase a new dryer. The dryer is the exact same model since it ran great before moving into our new home & my lovely wife wanted it to match our washer. Of course, upon delivery, we discover that the brand new dryer will not heat. So, the only conclusion at this stage is that this is a house issue.

I file a service request with Centex/Pulte & they issue a work order to their electrician. When the electrician arrives, a week later, he discovers that a wire was not connected properly in the wall outlet. He admits that this was their fault. After all of this I request a reimbursement from Centex/Pulte of the cost of the new dryer, which was $750, due to the poor judgment call of their Field Manager. This would simply remedy the monetary burden that has been placed on my family.

They return with a $250 offer saying that they feel this makes up for their Field Manager’s mistake. After detailed emails back and forth with Centex/Pulte customer service they will no longer return my emails. All the Field Manager had to do was request their electrician visit our house to see what might be causing the dryer to not heat. It is clear that they do not want to accept the responsibility of poor judgment calls on the part of their employees.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Lived here 1 year. Yard and drainage pipes put in twice. I still have no sod. Carpet, vinyl flooring and baseboards ruined due to daily cleaning. House was built **. Sink still leaks. Front door is still not right. This company is lazy and non reliable. I don't even want to give them one Star. DON’T BUY A PULTE/ CENTEX HOME!!!

Original review: April 12, 2018

We moved into our home in 2007 in Cibolo, Texas. We have had 3 major problems with the home that are costing us thousands of dollars. (1) The A/C unit did not have adequate drainage for the condensation and this cause regular servicing. (2) Our roof shingles needed to be replaced after several storms. When the contractor finished he told me the shingles were not installed correctly - the tarry underside has protective paper that was never removed and so the shingles would not stick to the lower row. This caused the shingles to fly upright away from the roof whenever the wind blew.

(3) Now I had my latest fears realized - our painting contractor came to inspect our home and confirmed that there was no primer used on our house! Several wood sections will need to be replaced because of rot and the entire painted area will have to be stripped and primed and repainted. We haven't even been the house 11 years and we have had to replace the roof, repaint the hose, and rebuild the A/C installation and replace the AC unit! DO NOT BUY A CENTEX HOME!!! I just keep praying for a tornado to level the mess so I can get a house worth living in.

Original review: April 10, 2018

We built our house when Wayne Homes/Centex were working together. We recently had a leak in our roof which has affected our electrical. I have contacted Wayne Homes, but since they were in conjunction with Centex homes at the time, the people from Wayne homes will not honor our warranty, and we have yet to get a call from Centex homes as well. You would think that Wayne homes would send someone out to fix it but no, they have to get in touch with the guy who works for Centex homes to see if it can be fixed. To date NOTHING! We paid for our house when the payments were due and they're supposed to have a great warranty, but not by my standards. BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE.

Original review: March 28, 2018

Do NOT buy a Centex home. I made a mistake buying in the first place when they changed the price on me right before closing but I just went ahead with it. Since owning our house we have had nothing but problems!!! They do not do quality work. We can hear everything from in one room to another. The insulation is terrible. You can hear every footstep downstairs that is made upstairs. I have replaced ALL the flooring in this 5 year old house. It has cost me about 14,000$ in repairs. Repairs for a brand new house. There’s a problem with the foundation they refuse to fix. Terrible disgusting company. Do not make my mistake! I wish I had read reviews before I bought my house. :(

Centex Homes Company Information