Find a Home Builders partner

3. Home Builders

1.2/5 (118 ratings)
Find a Home Builders partner
Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About Centex Homes

Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Centex Homes Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Centex Homes?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Centex Homes?

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

I have been in my new Centex home for a little over 2 years and have had Airtron Air Conditioning, (through my 2 year warranty) out to fix the noise on my outside heat pump. Brand new Lennox unit. The times they were out they replaced the shroud (fan housing) but that didn't fix the loud noise. I told them as much. I can't have the heat on at night because the noise keeps me awake and is very unnerving. I gets very uncomfortable and cold because of this. The noise at times gets louder than usual and sounds as if a helicopter is outside. I am a senior citizen and just wanted a home that was peaceful for me and this isn't.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

Everything even remotely nice is an upgrade, and few of the upgrades have been worth what we were charged for them. In our very first meeting with our agent, she INSISTED we get the hood vent -- in fact, she didn't give us a choice, she simply checked it off and said she wouldn't even allow her own kids to buy a home without one, and that you simply had to have one in an open floor plan so that cooking smells don't permeate your entire living area. So we have the hood vent, and guess what it does NOT do? It does not vent smells. The only thing it DOES do is flap very noisily whenever there's any hint of wind.

There are a small handful of house models you can choose from, some one-story and some two-story, and the layout can be a bit different between the two kinds. In our one-story, the master bathroom is on the left side of the house. Both showers have a window above them. In the lot directly to the left of us, they allowed the buyers to choose a two-story elevation, with windows upstairs that look out to the right. Which means they could see directly into our shower below them. On our own dime, we were able to frost our window, but as the first people on our small four-house street to buy a lot, they should have had the presence of mind and the diligence to tell those people that they couldn't buy a two-story on that lot, or they'd be looking into our shower.

Construction -- Our floor is laminate, which is fine, but there are bubbles and waves in it and a rather large divot in one spot, which we noticed on the foundation when the house was first being built, but figured surely they would level it before they did the floors. They did not. We pointed it out to them once before our closing, and they "fixed" it. I don't know what they did, but absolutely nothing changed. The huge divot is still there, and there are still bubbles and waves in the laminate in one area. It looks AWFUL.

As for the walls, the paint that they used is, first of all, called "Devine White" (no, I did not spell 'divine' wrong; this is what they're calling it). It is in no way white, not on any planet. It is basically a very pale peach-ish yellow. Furthermore, they used matte-finish paint, so if you even breathe near a wall, it will leave a smudge. Also, within our first month here, the wall and ceiling started to separate from each other in a corner of the kitchen.

There were some other little things, like the sealing around the door had a gap at the bottom which was letting cold air in, and in one of the rooms the blinds were missing the turning rods. At 30 days you are supposed to report anything like this that has gone wrong, because the house is warrantied. So we notified them about the blinds, the front door, the ceiling, and the floors. We heard NOTHING back. At 60 days we notified them again and finally got a response. They scheduled someone to come and fix the ceiling, but they were an hour late. The blind turning rods and front door were fixed on the same day that the ceiling was repaired -- repaired, but not painted. No one notified us about painting, and one day a guy just showed up, in the middle of our work day, to paint. No notification. And we've still heard nothing about the floor.

Speaking of floors, the carpet is laid terribly. You can feel nails if you step on the edge of where carpet meets floor, there are places that are bumpy and/or have a bubble underneath that makes a kind of crunching noise when you step on it, and other places where you can clearly see where one piece of carpet meets the other. And now for my sermon on the Homeowner's Association. It costs over $1500 per year to live in this development, and the list of things you cannot have/cannot do is massive. Everything -- and I mean EVERYTHING -- has to be approved if you want to make your house and the surrounding "yard" your own and not the Stepford cookie-cutout that is this entire development. They will not allow two houses next to each other to be the same color, and when I say "color", I mostly mean one of three shades of grey.

This neighborhood is so depressingly identical and the houses all look like they were stamped out, as close together as possible. What is supposed to be included in HOA dues is lawn care and landscaping. Landscaping is a joke; everyone gets a tree and a row of some puny monkey-grass plants in front -- which have all died, by the way -- with some sad ugly shrubs along the side and in the back. EVERYONE gets these. And so far, at two and a half months, there has been no yard maintenance whatsoever. And of course if you want to replace any of these plants with something you actually like, you have to get approval from the HOA. The HOA will not let you keep your bins where they are visible. The HOA will not let you get a birdhouse. The HOA will not let you have a trampoline. The HOA will not let you have a pool. The HOA will not let you hang bird feeders. The HOA will not let you park a certain way in your own driveway.

The HOA is charging us for use of a community pool, gym, walking trails, and clubhouse that are not even finished yet and that wouldn't be able to be used anyway because of the virus. Were we told about any of the things we could NOT do when we signed paperwork to get our construction started? Did we have some sense that we were moving into a fascist domain? No, of course not. We were told the HOA would provide landscaping and lawn care, and that is all. Oh, and we were told every kitchen gets pendant lighting over the island, but apparently "every" kitchen did not include ours. And finally, every time I try to submit my review to their own website, AT THEIR REQUEST, there are somehow "difficulties" posting my review. Which is why I'm here.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 9, 2020

Our Centex home was built in in San Antonio, Texas during 2016/2017. We found our "salesman" Joe **, to be pleasant, but as the building process proceeded we found options we wanted were not included. But because we wanted a home in a culdesac, we purchased the home without all of our options. Shortly after the first year, we noticed cracks in the walls and ceiling and doors no longer closing properly. The reason given was that all the recent rain was the cause. It was determined that the foundation was still intact, but incorrect grading on one side of the house was causing water not to drain.

The customer service manager sent a team to regrade the side, but poor drainage continued. Meanwhile my original service manager accepted a job with another builder. The new customer service manager (Ryan) listened to me, but never followed up. The only time we spoke was when I reached out to her. Even though a weak attempt was made to correct my problems, Centex was not willing to correct any of the problems. I regret the day I chose Centex to build my home and would not recommend them as a builder to anyone. In fact at this very moment the doors in my home are being repaired at my expense.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

We have had many problems with our new construction home built by Centex. I will mention a few.

1. AC/heating fan does not turn off upstairs.
    2. Water pressure issues throughout house.
    3. Air balancing throughout house.
    4. Plumbing fixtures and plumbing including toilets, faucets, dishwasher.
    5. Electrical wiring. Fuses tripping.
    6. Sod quality.
    7. Garage door opener failure.

8. Siding blowing off house.

... Many more issues. A lot of issues were not apparent until after first year when the first year warranty over. If you do go with Centex hire a 3rd party home inspector to check periodically check the construction of your home. I wish I thought of this. It will cost you approximately $1200 and save you many headaches in the end. Good luck!!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

Lived in the townhouse for 8 years. Random symptoms began after 2. By the 4th year I was very ill. 6th year I was totally bedridden. In 6th year mold was found in the master bathroom. A mushroom grew on the side of the bathtub and the next day the tub fell through onto the lanai. 700 square feet of toxic mold. First restoration. I continued to get sicker but couldn’t find the source of the mold. Then I thought about how the AC always got clogged and needed constant draining. Hired an AC repair man to open it and he freaked out about the pounds of dust. It was I that recognized the pounds of green and black mold. The AC man said the system was way too small and not even the fundamental needs of instillation were met.

The remediation team said the HVAC and all ducts and vents needed to be replaced but that was a temporary fix. For several reasons, the mold would continue to reoccur. The lack of ventilation between the two floors meant that each floor would require its own HVAC system, and both much larger than the one there was. The pipe from the AC should be as short as possible but for some reason it circled around the inside of the house fully, before exiting into the backyard. Had $3,000 in reports done on the home. On a moodiness scale of -20 - 20 the home was an 18.9. If it wasn’t completely rebuilt, the mold would definitely come back. Besides the AC the reports proved that there was water and mold in every wall. Only the roof was mold free. The experts said that I could never live there again and that all my and my son’s possessions were too toxic. 100K in furniture was trash.

When we moved I was 88 pounds and more dead than alive. I spoke with some of the newer residents. They were told to pour vinegar down the AC drain monthly. The only reason to do that would be to kill mold. They know they are building death traps and continue to do so. The mold is irresponsible and deliberate. 2.5 years since we moved out with nothing but the clothes on our back, I am finally beginning to feel better. The experience ruined me and my life. I will never regain full health and I still need to recover from the financial ruin. I don’t understand the laws but the builders can’t be held responsible. There is no legal recourse, there is no reason for them to make any corrections. Don’t ruin your life too. Stay away from those coffins.

Original review: June 12, 2019

Bought a house in Whaley’s Creek subdivision in St Cloud FL in Nov 2018. Three days before closing we were notified flood insurance would be required for the first year. Apparently they were waiting for paperwork from FEMA changing the designation. Well you guessed it. New paperwork from FEMA didn’t change our designation. Sales Dept people are liars and Pulte Mortgage company is right there with them. This may qualify for a class action lawsuit!!

Original review: April 25, 2019

Bought and move in to our property 2008. It was newly built. Had discovered other issues: cracks in the cement slabs, cheaply built plastic fence, and etc. Until recently when we got one of our AC replaced. Discovered the reason why we were having problem with our AC is because Centex contractors must have rushed the buildings of home and took short cuts. Attached is the AC tubing line... Wonder what other issues are there and how many homes has same problem..

Original review: March 7, 2019

I have had a horrible experience with this company, and a shady sales rep. The Centex rep. seemed nice in the beginning but as soon as you listen to them and follow their instructions and turn in your earnest money, everything could go downhill. Be very careful when reading their contracts too, the sales rep. will tell you one thing and the contract will say another. Do not sign it at all if there is anything in there that you do not agree with. They will try to make you pay for their mistakes and threaten you that you will lose your earnest money after you discover their mistakes. The minute you start to see their issues, they take a very long time in responding back to your concerns. Read other people issues posted on their build quality as well. Buyer beware.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

We bought our house "secondhand" in November 2017. The house was built in 2016. Because it wasn't the "rainy season" AND the previous homeowner didn't honestly disclose a drainage issue in the backyard - we purchased the home. Come spring rains of 2018 and backyard was literally a pond! Centex refused to acknowledge there was an issue and basically said "oh well, it's your problem". What the heck?! So we had to shovel out money to "fix" the problem by trying to create a channel for the water to run to the drainage basin in the next door neighbor's yard.

Now when it rains heavily it floods a little in the yard but not as bad. Fast forward to today - 2/20/19 - between the snow and rain all day today the yard can't handle it. If you look at the pictures you'll see not one of the neighbors yards is flooded like ours. Ridiculous. The floors inside the house squeak like the house is 50 years old - not 2, insulation is missing in some of the walls. It's ridiculous. Whenever you reach out to them it's the same runaround. I will NEVER NEVER EVER buy a Centex home again. Previously we built a Joshua Home in 2001 and we never had an issue with - lived there 17 years. Should never have moved...

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

We bought our home in April of 2018. I've had issues with my home since day one. First, had water leak in my irrigation system and I got a $360 dollar water bill. My floors squeaks like a 80 year old home. They have gone out to fix it 3 times and it hasn't stopped squeaking. The people they have coming out to do the work have damaged my walls and ruined paint. Light fixtures aren't flush with the ceiling. A/C vents and returns aren't flush with ceilings. It has been a total nightmare - makes me not want to be a homeowner and go back to renting.

Centex Homes Company Information