2. Homeowners
  3. Home Builders

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.82/5

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Get started

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Get started

Brookfield Residential Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Brookfield Residential?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Brookfield Residential?

Original review: Oct. 9, 2020

Avoid buying from Brookfield at all costs. My wife and I purchased our first home with Brookfield in July of 2018. As a matter of due diligence, we asked our sales rep, Bridgette **, what structures would be built on the empty lot beside our home, and were told matter-of-factly that they would be duplexes complete with two-vehicle garages per unit. This information was used to inform our purchasing decision and was instrumental in our decision to buy. This information, as it turns out, was also entirely false. We were lied to.

In reality Brookfield is permitting stacked 4-plexes (so 8 units) with two garage suites per structure (an additional 2 units) - all with a single parking spot per unit. I have gone door to door and discussed the matter with neighbours who state that they were similarly deceived and were also told it would be duplexes with adequate 2-vehicle parking.

In a discussion with Brookfield's Sr. VP Of Edmonton Communities, Richard Westren, and Sr. VP of Edmonton Homes, Wendy Jabusch, I was informed that the lots were always intended to be Multi-unit Housing, which is housing comprised of 3 or more units. This, by design, excludes the duplexes that we were told would be built. While I appreciate their taking the time to talk with me, ultimately Rich and Wendy handed out a number of hollow sympathies and platitudes, but more or less said that nothing strictly illegal had transpired and thus they were either unwilling or unable to make things right in any way.

Brookfield has personally gained by lying to their customers in order to make sales. At this point, that's simply fact. And while the VP's expressed their regret that this transpired, given that there is no governmental or legal body barring them from continuing these deceptive sales practices, I see no reason to expect things to change for the better.

Do not trust Brookfield. Get anything important they may tell you in writing, and have them sign it. If they refuse to do so, assume it's yet another lie. These people are the lowest form of greaseball and will, evidently, do whatever is necessary to make the sale - up to and including bold face lies. This was the single largest betrayal of trust I have ever felt as a consumer, and now represents my single largest regret in life. I would implore anyone and everyone to avoid any dealings with Brookfield whatsoever. One of the biggest expenditures of your life simply isn't worth trusting to Brookfield. They will take advantage of you, and be unwilling to help when things go sideways.

Original review: May 1, 2020

From the start of sales, the the agent farting as he walked the house with my clients and kids to closing where their preferred title company messed up every step of the way. This was a terrible deal.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 18, 2020

I'm not lived at 'our new home' and I cannot wait to get out of this place. Quality of work and appliances is terrible. Hot water tank and dryer gave up within the first 2 months. Microwave fans barely sucks in any fumes leaving the cabinet damp and I have to constantly clean and now this morning Microwave is gone. Making gunshot type sounds. So now in addition to lockdown, I have no microwave for me and my family which includes two kids.

Bath fan leaks water and now I've got stains on my ceiling. Told these guys and the best they tell me is, they will pain it. For God sake, this is more of a condensation problem due to poor insulation of the duct. Only one of the bath fans have this issue. The others face the same temperature and weather conditions, so you can't tell me it's due to the weather... I will NEVER recommend Brookfield to anyone looking to build nor will I EVER EVER build with them. I'd rather rent than own a home with Brookfield.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2020

I purchased a Brookfield Residential home about 2 years ago in Gilroy California. There was a lot of issues and Brookfield didn't provide all fixes in time. For major issues they just delay the Service Request until one year warranty expire. My major issue is bouncy floor. Brookfield ignored my Service Request until one year warranty was expired. After 2 years Brookfield paid an inspector to justify its behavior, since I told Brookfield I am going to sue them. Now Brookfield has closed the case and I have to pay to fix my bouncy floor. Only way to communicate with this company is to sue them. Brookfield Residential is a cheater and bad builder. Don't buy home from Brookfield. If you buy a home from them you will really regret.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

I purchased a Brookfield Residential home and was initially very happy, the house looked great. That soon changed. A few months after moving in, we noticed that the tub in the secondary bath did not drain properly and it soon formed a large ring right in the middle of the tub. I contacted the service department and they quickly scheduled someone to come out and take a look at it. They determined that the tub needed to be replaced and it would require the tile around it to be taken out. I was told that if I wanted the work done, it would take a week to complete. I scheduled some time off work, let the builder know and prepared to sit at home while the work was getting done.

First day, great-the tile was taken down just as planned. Second day, tub people show up (not at their scheduled time but ok) and supposedly fixed the problem. I noticed that it still didn't drain right but now the water pooled at different location. I contacted the builder and he gets them out to look at it again. Again they show up in the morning when I had scheduled it for the afternoon. The guy that shows up says yes, it is still incorrect and tells me he will let his boss know and leaves. That was in August, it is now almost November and we still don't have a completed second bath.

I understand complications and delays and was originally just going to let it go but the Brookfield people have literally blamed everything that has gone wrong with the repair on me. They have even gone as far as saying that if I hadn't asked for the repairs, none of this would be happening. Really? It's my fault the bath wasn't done correct in the first place and I'm asking too much to expect a house done correctly. You shouldn't have to fight with the builder to get your house done right. Save yourself the headache, build with someone else!

Original review: July 6, 2019

I am overall disappointed and shocked with my experience with Brookfield's customer service and quality control. It has been a nonstop effort of trying to play catch up of items that should be taken care of before closing and we should have not closed.

1. I have a side yard that is full of dirt and has a number of sharp items such as nails in it (per construction manager they take the dirt from other construction sites). My dog now has a gash in his foot and he is still limping from being in my own yard. Even though I tried to pick up all of the nails it is nearly impossible. I cannot do anything to the yard until the HOA approves it. This I am told usually takes approx. 60 days. After closing on a new home I should be able to use the side yard without concerns for harm.

2. Upon turning on the irrigation line in the basement there was a leak from the bleeder cap. They placed one on my porch for me to replace myself. However, when this was replaced there was then a leak under the stucco on the outside that went down into the basement in the insulation. This should have been demonstrated and checked in the home demonstration as the irrigation system was in. I now have damage to my property that could have been avoided. In addition, the stucco has not been fixed after 2 months. Maurice ** (construction manager) tried to then place blame on me.

3. There is a steep drop off the patio 20" that poses a significant hazard. It is shocking that even if it is technically to code, Brookfield wouldn't take the time and effort to make sure they are providing a safe environment for families.

4. It took 30 days to repair Items that I did not sign off on prior to closing. The quality of repairs have been subpar as well. I had to insist on repairing the cabinets 4 different times before they would call the cabinet company to properly repair it. (This is separate from the 30 day warranty list).

5. When asking for repairs and vocalizing my concerns, I was talked down to and at one time suggested that I go get goof off and touch it up myself (this was prior to closing). It is unacceptable that I would be expected to repair a place I didn't even own at the time. I strongly believe they tried to "get away with/push the limit" due to the fact I am a single female. I have spoken with neighbors who felt the same way when their spouses were not present. This is directed a Maurice **, not the rest of Brookfield.

6. They put a mismatched piece of wood as a transition piece. I asked for one that matched and was told that that didn't exist. It does in fact exist and Maurice happily accommodated my neighbor with the same flooring, but not for me.

7. I asked for measurements of a door opening for my layout so I could purchase a solid walnut door. The measurements given to me via email were incorrect from Roger ** (sales office). Even though Brookfield gave me the wrong info, would not frame the door to the measurements given.

8. They would not let me test for radon prior to closing. I view this as endangering my health, and that of my family. The levels were over 4 times the accepted value. I had to live with that for over 1.5 months until I received the results and could schedule mitigation.

I have also learned that Maurice ** has bad mouth me to my realtor, who also bought a home a few doors down. It is unacceptable for a company to employ and have him interact with clients that are are spending well over 550k. If I could give zero stars I would. While new home ownership comes with some growing pains, this is a new level. I have gone through the new home build process multiple times and this is by far the worst quality of construction and degrading I have ever experienced. Brookfield Residential clearly does not care about the customer's satisfaction or safety.

Original review: June 17, 2018

I think that it is incredibly important to share your positive experiences, in addition to letting a person know when they have done an extra-ordinary job. When my husband and I set out to have our home built it was quite a daunting and overwhelming experience. One in which neither my husband nor myself knew anything about; however, Holly ** from Brookfield Homes in Gambrills, Maryland, made the entire process an amazing experience. That's not saying that everything was perfect, nothing ever is.There are always hiccups in anything you do at this magnitude; however, Holly was quick to be right on top of our every need and/or whim. Sometimes even before we knew we needed her to be. We rested easy at night knowing that our best interest was at the upmost concern through this process and that made this experience one in which I didn't dread, but actually looked forward to through out all those months we worked so closely together.

Holly is beyond personable, kind, compassionate, empathetic, appreciative, gracious, and attentive. I am confident she has never met a stranger in her life. She makes everyone she comes into contact with feel like they are the only ones that matter and she has everything handled, and she certainly did. I am so grateful my home is built and we are finally moved in, but I am sad that Holly is no longer a permanent member of my daily activities like she had been while building our home. I would recommend Holly and Brookfield Homes, and have, to anyone I come across wanting to buy a home. I know that our experience and outcome would not have been remotely the same without her constant and consistent support. I am grateful to her for all of her hard work and dedication she put into my families happiness and wish her nothing but wonderful things to come in her own life.

Brookfield Homes has a diamond amongst them and it is my sincere hope that they are able to see and appreciate all the wonderful things she brings to their clients, families, and business. We all have choices in life and I would choose Holly ** and Brookfield Homes a million times over after how my families experience has been throughout this long and arduous process. Only made less arduous because we had Holly always looking out for us.

Original review: April 26, 2018

We purchased a new Brookfield home in Oshawa in 2002. We were pleased with it and decided to purchase a larger home to suit our growing family. What a mistake! We have been in our homes for just over 7 years. We have a leaky basement and today discovered we have a hole in the roof. A hole! The insurance adjuster credited the "shady builder". We had many attempts at fixing the basement leak, but as many of the other homeowners experienced, the customer service AFTER you purchase is horrible. I will never purchase another Brookfield home nor will I recommend this builder to anyone I care about. The Tarion warranty is just short of a joke really- your house needs to literally fall apart before they will fix anything after 2 years.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

Holly was my sales rep when purchasing a Brookfield home in the Wilson’s Grove neighborhood in Gambrills, MD. Holly went above and beyond to secure our business as well as get us the best deal possible! Absolute pleasure to work with. At no time did I feel like she was placing the builder’s interests in front of ours. Holly’s personal interest undoubtedly secured our business for Brookfield. She is a priceless asset for Brookfield Residential.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

We noticed a small defect on our oven after 45 days and were told that Brookfield does not warranty appliances to contact Bosch. Bosch does not cover defects after 30 days so we got screwed and Brookfield could care less. Additionally, they still cannot fix the pocket door and squeaks in our master bedroom. Sounds like a house built in the 40’s. Buyer beware!

Brookfield Residential Company Information