Brookfield Homes

Compare Home Builders & Developers

Research top Home Builders & Developers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I am really disappointed. The smiling and helpful people we meet at the sales office are backed-up with different quality of after-sales service people. Me and my wife bought a new single house in Edmonton. In one year the entrance of the garage was fragmented in the middle. I wasted my time trying to get my broken garage ramp fixed and the only thing I got from the service department is argument and theories trying to justify their refusal to repair the damage. I felt I wasted my time and money with this company.

I bought a Brookfield home in Audie Murphy (Big Sky) and the design/architecture of homes are beautiful, the construction is TERRIBLE!! The house is built shoddy as if they had no pride in their work. I've only been in the home a little over a year but during that year I have complained about the floors being uneven, the space for the fireplace is not straight so it looks like the actual fireplace is crooked. Water comes out of the master bath shower into outside bath tub (seal on bottom looks like a child put it in). Cabinets are loose and not straight. I had to have the garage people out multiple times because the sun kept warping and pulling the strip off. Come to find out, it was the color they used for the strip, the garage company knew about it and wondered why the builder kept installing the same color knowing there was an issue.

It got to the point where I just stopped complaining to their customer service. They like to say things like "well no house is perfect". I don't want perfect, but I do want you to fix obvious flaws. If the molding does not connect to the floor because the floor is uneven, you need to fix that!!! Some of my neighbors have had roof issues and cracked stucco and these homes are just a little over a year old. For what they are asking for these homes, Brookfield should have higher quality standards, however, they do not. After the year maintenance (support), it takes an act of God, Congress or whomever to get something done. Customer service basically says, "too bad, not our problem". I will never purchase anything from this builder nor recommend them to anyone. They are building new homes up the street, wish I could tell those unsuspecting buyers, "take your money and run"!!!

Purchasing a new home can be stressful, but the folks at Brookfield made it easy. They were very helpful and responsive to our questions. While there were some issues with the actual construction, which can be expected, they were quick to address the issue at no inconvenience to us.

January of 2014 we were in the market for a new home while preparing to relocate to Maryland. We found Brookfield Residential DC on the website and took a trip to Gambrills, MD to view the site where Brookfield was going to break ground. We weren't sure if we should build or buy an existing home. After seeing a lot of homes on the market in a span of 5 months we finally decided to build after seeing their model homes in Virginia. We fell in love with the styles of the homes and how comfortable we felt in them.

I remember meeting our sales rep Holly ** in January when it was freezing cold outside and no one was shopping for homes. I was greeted with a smile and recall coming back multiple times to get more information. Each visit with her was a pleasant experience and when we decided to build we knew we made the right choice. When we moved in, we were greeted by very friendly neighbors and everyone after us were just as friendly. The community is great and have a nice pool house and community playground for the kids to burn off some energy on a regular basis. I would most definitely refer a friend to purchase here. We couldn't ask for a better home and neighborhood.

We purchased and built our home with Brookfield in 2014-15. Holly ** was our salesperson and the face of the company for us through the design and purchase. She was helpful, responsive, proactive, and professional. She helped us design the home that worked best for us, including custom features that accommodate our daughter, who has dwarfism. When we encountered problems or concerns, she was quick to work with her management and the build team to resolve them quickly and efficiently. I have recommended Brookfield and Holly to friends.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Brookfield Homes?

It was a pleasure working with Holly. She was very nice and responsive to questions and concerns. She also gave excellent advice on options to get as well as options not to get. She very much worked with my interests in mind and making sure my family and I would be happy with the purchase of our new home.

I write this review to tell you about the experience I had purchasing a new home from Brookfield Homes in Wilson's Grove, Gambrills, Maryland. From the minute I walk in the door with my wife we were greeted by Ms. Holly **. Without a doubt she is the right person for the job. She sat down with us and went over all the options available, from type of lot to type of house, options that were available, and the estimated time it would take to complete. Holly was knowledgeable on every aspect of process. After spending time with Holly and looking at the lots available we knew this is where we wanted to live and we began the process of buying a new home.

Holly's made the experience the least stressful possible. From the first meeting to settlement and every day in-between, Holly was amazing. She walked us through every step, she answered emails and returned phone calls with little to no delays, and all our dealings with her she made us feel like we were her only customer, and she was right on the money for completion date, that's why I rated Brookfield Home with 5 stars. We found that to be the case with every person we dealt with at Brookfield Homes. I would recommend buying a Brookfield Home to anyone looking for a new home, for its quality and workmanship they put into building their homes, and highly recommend Holly ** as the person to deal with when buying a Brookfield Home.

We had a wonderful experience with the saleswoman, Holly **. She was one of the friendliest people I have ever met and was always more than willing to help and answer our questions.

I purchased a new Brookfield Home and disappointment is putting it mildly! Shoddy builders. It would be easier to list what's right as opposed to what's wrong. Mold from LEAKS in the basement, windows and sliding doors leaking, mismatch tiles, paint peeling from garage and front door, water leaking from upstairs bathroom, bird nests in outer interior due to no covers on vents. The best is when you call service the guy that fixes things is not even trained just a handyman. Can really depend on that! Would never recommend Brookfield to anyone!

I bought the home almost 2 years ago. When I purchased, I was promised a box of approximately 10 motion sensor light switches. When I moved in home, they were removed, except for one. I have been trying for almost two years to get my switches, with no luck. I posted on BBB, and on Yelp. My only other concern is how N sink U tube was not connected. Much water spilled on second story floor. Problem was fixed, I just hope I never get mold. Also, there has been a crack in shower but I forgot to ask them to repair it. I understand it is probably beyond warranty, but maybe someone can tell me how to fix it. Overall I like the house, and with exception of above, the builder has been reasonably good.

My wife & I were under contract to build a home. Unfortunately, we were forced to work with their Colorado sales team, Mike & Carrie. These people are the main reason why people in sales have a bad reputation. They knew NOTHING about their product and only cared about making money. After several red flags, we were forced to cancel our contract and home build. Do your homework on this company.

Their build site at Midtown is built on a site that was previously deemed toxic due to hazardous materials spill. They informed us of this AFTER we signed paperwork. They refused to allow us to work with a realtor and they also would not allow us to have our own independent inspections performed throughout the build process. They say there is an HOA -- and collect monthly fees, however there isn't an HOA and Brookfield has made several changes to the development plans without any resident input. (Paved over community gardens for more parking lots.)

NOTHING is transparent with this company. I eventually called Jim ** in their corporate sales office to ask why changes were being made to the development plans without consulting residents. (MANY of which whom have invested over a half million dollars or more) and he responded, "We don't care." If my review or opinion isn't enough check these out. It's from Consumer Affairs. Brookfield Residential averages 1 out of 5 stars. https://www.consumeraffairs.com/housing/brookfield.html. Do yourself & family a favor -- pick another builder.

A letter just recently was sent to Brookfield to address the displeasure we've had with Brookfield Homes since we purchased our home 2.5 years ago. Since then we've had customer service at our house in excess of 20 times for deficiencies caused by Capital Mechanical who is the plumbing contractor. I purchased this home to live in a trouble free environment due to the fact that we are caretakers for my mother in law, who is on dialysis, has COPD, (on oxygen), congestive heart failure and a host of other issues. My father who lives in the basement is confined to a wheelchair due to a progressive neurological disorder.

The issues that have developed, as our new house ages, has been not only frustrating but has cause a hardship for all of us in this house. It's unacceptable at this point and none of the reps have been able to correct the issue or have been able to get to the root of the problem. Skip just doesn't care and our new representative unfortunately has come into this too late to be effective but appears to be the only one who understands our concerns. Leak after leaks after leaks after leaks. Siding flying off, the reps painting deficiencies with magic markers and the plumbing is a nightmare. The landscaping is a joke and I should've hire an independent engineer to evaluate the plot prior to settlement. Photograph everything and maintain a file with accurate dates and times.

If you are purchasing a Brookfield home please hire your own independent home inspector to finalize your home. Any deficiency do not settle as it will never be taken care of and get everything you are asking for on paper. The customer service tech trucks are at every house in my development almost everyday this week and most of everyone I know in the Brookside area of Warrenton VA is unhappy with Brookfield. I want my new home back not a moldy, water logged, stained home, I didn't purchase that. They only want to fix what they want to fix to save $$$. There is an active lawsuit happening in the area and I'm diligently pursuing who the attorney is.

My wife and I were at first very happy with our purchase with our home. 6 years later we started noticing a lot of the tile in the master bathroom started cracking and coming up around the shower. Then we noticed dark spots on the kitchen ceiling directly under the master bathroom and eventually the chandelier fell out of the ceiling due to mold and severe dampness. When I had a handyman pull back the bench tile in the shower, we discovered it was not done according to code. I spoke to our warranty dept. and of course they claim the bathroom is only covered for 1 year of the 10 year warranty. I asked them would my wife falling thru the bathroom shower floor to the kitchen due to the floor board has mold and has grown very weak due to the 6 year leak of water via the shower? I currently pursuing to get this redone and fixed. VERY FRUSTRATED.

Bought a home about 8 months ago. Was somewhat pleased at the time of purchase. We were told we would get 1 year free of HOA fees and they did not honor it when it came down to closing. Then a firefighter in the neighborhood noticed the houses being built across the street and stated they did not have the proper firewalls in between them so if one town home caught on fire they would all pretty quickly set on fire. Then the home next door was vacant for at least 6 months which was nice because the people who purchased the home are very loud. You can hear everything from the bathroom fan being on, walking up and down the stairs, flushing toilets, and opening and closing of drawers and I would think with these being new homes it would be built amazing. I was so happy to have my first home being built. Now I wish I waited longer and purchased a single family home by a different home company.

Can any help me getting my deposit back from this people? I fell in love with a house at Avendale in Bristow, VA and wrote a contract on April 6, 2015. The delivery date was August/September. I had been approved by George Mason Mortgage who happens to be their prefer lender, but they did not want to use my loan officer and send me to the Annandale office of George Mason. This office took 6 weeks to tell me I did not qualify and because they denied me I could not go back to my old loan officer. I went to another lender and they approved me.

When I presented my approval letter to Brookfield they said they wanted me to try with another of their prefer lender in order to give the $7,500 closing cost intensive they offered me. I tried again to go with their lender. This one took 4 weeks to tell me I did not qualify. I went back to them and asked them to accept my lender, but they took 2 more weeks to say yes.

Now we are in the middle of July and there is no way they can deliver the house by September. I told them I did not want to wait anymore and requested my deposit back. They are refusing to return my money. The contract is written in such away that you have no rights. They can take up to two years to build the house and according to them they can start whenever they want during these two years. There is no financial contingency. If you back out of the deal for any reason you lose your deposit.

I am so frustrated with them. When I told them I will hire a lawyer they said the contract is written to their favor and there is no way out without losing the money. I do not want to buy with them anymore. I am a single mother and work very hard for my money. I do not think it's fair that they do not want to give me my money back, especially because they have not even started the house.

My family and I recently purchased a Brookfield home (spec home) and have had excellent customer service during our closing process (excellent staff to work with), minor repairs (electrical, flooring, entrance door, etc...). When either my spouse or I would call or email the site Assistant Construction Manager, he would respond to us within 24-48 hours. I give Brookfield Residential (Bristow, VA area) a thumbs up on quality of the home, excellent customer service and truly supporting staff on-site and in the regional office.

We have had SO many structural problems with our house. We are nearing 10 years and now have found that there are several elements of the roof that were incorrectly constructed. Of course, interior damage, sleepless rainy nights and insurance claims galore. Have someone inspect your roof, your flashings, where vents are placed. In our first six months in the home, we had two major leaks during rains. I never dreamed it would take 10 years to find ALL of the problems.

I love my house, but I hate Brookfield. I could never, in good conscience, recommend them to anyone.

Since purchasing our Brookfield home, the follow-through with walkthrough repairs and the 45-day punch-out list have been pathetic. Only excuses and delays have occurred as a result of structural and cosmetic complaints. It's been a constant battle with the uppers in our region to take ownership of the issues presented and then resolutions to fix them. We are very disappointed with the management within Brookfield Homes here in Virginia and would not recommend purchasing a new home from them.

We bought a Brookfield Palo Verde new home in Carlsbad, Ca. just a few months ago. The sales brochure and website promised that appliances would be Whirlpool GOLD. What we got was the cheapest Whirlpool except for the cook top. We found out about the discrepancies right after we moved in, however, the management team has been giving us the runaround. The customer care field manager Dan ** could not answer why the builder only kept its promise on one appliance but not all. He, therefore, chose the easiest way out by dismissing us as though it was the customer's fault. He then rudely closed out our claims. Maybe the company decided to send the most difficult person to deter customers or they intend to hire 'just say no' people as customer CARE managers for their Bait and Switch tactics. Why would anyone buy from a builder who cannot even keep its basic written promises? Brookfield is the company that I cannot trust.

I am writing this email to express my dissatisfaction with the furnace that was installed at my home when I took possession in late October 2010. Shortly after possession I was experiencing non-heating issues with my furnace. I called Brookfield Homes Site Admin - Wendy ** who then contacted Ray who is the associated site manager - service. He came out and found that a tube was full of water and drained it and the furnace began to work. After a month the same problem came back and I took off the panels and noticed that water was built up in that tube again. So I removed the tube and drained about a cup of water and the furnace worked. Now the furnace would work for about a year until this time of year when the cold weather seems to affect it ALL the time. So in 2012, I did the same thing, I drained the water and furnace would appear to run fine for couple months. I also had called Brookfield and advised them of the issue. I would have to do it all over again a few months later, and then it would work till October of the next year.

So in 2013 around October it finally had the same problem and every time its a 3 flashing code that says "pressure switch open with inducer on". I called Arpi's and explained to them the situation and they wanted to charge me for a service technician. And I was upset because this has happened every time since I have had the house and feel like I do not need to be charged for anything. I drained the tube, and through the winter months I would have to drain it almost weekly. And the furnace would work for a few weeks. We are now in 2014 October, and I am having the same issues again.

I honestly don't think this is normal. I have friends that have owned homes ALL their lives and my parents and they have NEVER heard of having to drain water out of it on a yearly basis for months. Upon inspection I do not believe this furnace was installed correctly in the first place because I can run the furnace for 30 minutes and no water comes out of the drain. I've taken the liberty to check the condensate trap and it appears to be full of water every time. In addition I've noticed the horizontal pipe for draining is not sloped properly from the condensate trap. It appears to be sloped towards the furnace instead of away. I apologize for the terminology used because this isn't my field of expertise. I really hope this water backup has not caused any rust or damages to the inducer motor which would cause my 3 blinking code because it appears every year around this time. I get the three blinking code and have to drain water and the furnace wouldn't work for couple hours and then a few hours later the furnace would work. I took it upon myself as usual with anything and took apart my furnace and cut the piping and redid the piping properly to slope. Currently the unit is still working after I repaired the slope and the water appears to be draining now in a steady stream.

Both Brookfield and Arpis have no documented calls and complaints that my furnace broke down every year. Which is not my fault how they run their company and why these calls made are not documented. I contacted John** at Arpi's and he said that my furnace needed cleaning. I took the furnace apart and it's clean as can be. The only thing is the drain wasn't installed properly which I am suspecting caused this problem.

We liked a model in Belmont Glen in ashburn, va and signed a contract. However, the sales manager was really painful. We went back and forth and they really did not give anything extra in negotiations. At some point he started making racist remarks which were very hurtful. My wife was in tears and kids were shocked. We wanted out right then but somehow wanted to put up. However, they changed the way lot is laid out even by adding a retaining wall into the lot area. Which means, we lost the area (SQ FT) in the lot as well. We wanted out but sales manager apparently is not agreeing. Is this even fair? We are going to lawyer.

I have been living in a Brookfield home for 3 years now and have complained repeatedly about some of the defects of the home. One major issue we are having is our windows. The windows installed in our house is of poor quality and installed improperly. During our "wind storm" from October to April, I have to place towels and tape down the towels all around the windows so the dirt does not get into our house. I don't like doing it but it's the only way I know how to prevent soil from blowing in. It's not just one or two windows, but all 16 of them.

I have reached out to the builder, their customer care center and the association and they have done nothing about it. It's so frustrating and so sad that our first home turned out to be a Brookfield home. I wish I had done some research before buying. And the windows are not the only thing that is of poor quality. The wood used for our balcony and pillars are all rotting. Mind you, it's just been three years. Not only were they painted with a thin coat but they were not sealed so the few times it has rained, the wood looks like it's been soaked in water for years. Don't invest your hard-earned money into a Brookfield home.

Don't even visit the model home, their town homes in VA were so pretty and big w/ the kitchen in the center of the home...I fell in luv with the Dollhouse look to these. I wish I would have 'kept looking' when the sales person was so rude! She was so rude I was so upset that I had to be consoled! What a waste of energy & tears. This was our first home to become a "dream" home & they absolutely do not care! We put so much thought and negotiations into the lot, then the next week we were "bumped" w/o ANY notice! So be prepared they scam you on that.

The lot (1 at a time of course) that they tell you is ready to go, really isn't. I also found loads of beer cans and energy drinks on the lot, I could not believe it! They absolutely do NOT use licensed workers!! They use a licensed contractor but then the workers are from another land. There are 2 set groups that work on your house outside & in. They work 7am into the night! 7 days a week even on holidays! They are quiet as church mouse M-F until 3pm while the foreman is there, but on the weekend, it's a hot mess. They are rude, noisy, and they bring their families on the weekend. They leave open fire to dry the houses overnight which I think is a code violation.

The landscaper lays the cheapest most horrible grass that dies if you step on it, and of course scorches the entire summer. The plants/trees are horrible and tacky. Don't even talk about the snow removal. The postman must have complained because now they will clear a path to the mailbox only. They push the snow in front of your driveway, it's crazy! Your pool & basketball court is shared w/ the trailer homes on the grounds. The trailer people come down to this neighborhood to use the playgrounds. Can't tell you how many houses are already for sale, and of course the ones that the realtors buy to rent out.

It is true about the shower installations wrong wrong wrong. The tiler is J&J in this area, awful low quality caulking worse than in an apartment. The tiles are beautiful but $$$ but since they use the low grade caulking, the tiles fall off!! Your floors will be scratched up in installation, I won't even go into the nail pops and your trim will peel away from the crown molding. It is true, your backyard will be lumpy because they just lay the sod over ANYTHING. Their trash, materials etc, be warned. The other person is right, call the county and they will come out to drive through, the foreman will jump out of his car and things will change for about a week. Then it goes back. Just as the other person said your granite will pull away from your sink! Again low quality mounting.

Our cabinets were so scratched up, and they WILL NOT change them. In your walk through, TAKE PHOTOS, that is your ONLY saving grace. After your 1 year follow-up. it's just to tell YOU everything they WON'T do! So we are just fixing everything our self. Your outside concrete will also crack up in about 9mos. I think the worst part w/ this builder is that we are paying so much money for these homes and they just don't have pride in their work. That's really sad. The next worse is the landscaping. It's just awful. No one cares about doing a good job anymore. Just sales numbers. Pass on Brookfield Virginia please.

It took more than a year to deliver the house. But, when the house was delivered, trims were missing. Nails protruding in stairs. Fire place crown missing. Water leaking in foyer. Door stoppers missing. Caulks not filled in properly. Emergency utility entrances were completely closed. Shelf racks tilted. Bathroom door lock isn't locking. Well, all these issues reported but someone came home and they further damaged the house by removing the trims. It's been more than 10 days but the response from construction team was very poor.

Three months after moving into our Brookfield home, the downstairs toilet flooded. In just over an hour, while I was upstairs, I came down to find our entire downstairs covered in over an inch of water. I ran into the bathroom and realized the handle of the toilet had stuck. Upon arriving, our plumber and foreman told me that our "warranty" would not cover this! Our entire downstairs was destroyed, floors torn out, walls torn up 3 feet and the whole kitchen had to be ripped out. Brookfield would not return our calls. We had to use our homeowner's insurance to fix everything and it took over 6 months. For 6 months we lived with no kitchen or downstairs and Brookfield never contacted us once.

We've now been here a year and have had multiple problems, all of which Brookfield very cheaply fixes if at all! As I type this there is a painter outside because our exterior paint has chipped and peeled off so badly. BUT Brookfield will not paint the whole house again, only touch it up which as you can assume leaves an obvious color difference, looking like streaks. Most of our electrical outlets have had problems, and ALL of the toilets have handles that stick. Brookfield has been a literal nightmare for us. I would NEVER recommend them.

I bought a beautiful Brookfield home only to complain about leaks in the basement. Since they only used a handy man, he kept telling me it was condensation as it was a new home. Well guess what? After 3 attempts to fix the leak, I ended up with a $16,000 mold problem and am now fighting them in court as they are saying the statue of limitations has run out for the 2-year homeowner’s warranty, but yet they were trying to fix it for 5 years. I never asked them to but they knew it was their fault. Then the site supervisor even approached Brookfield to pay for it with my knowledge because he knew full well it was their fault and they said no. So we now have court date in May but of course they have made a motion to have it dismissed this week. I will keep everyone posted. Just for the record: the handyman fixed the mold with "bleach” - fat lot that did!

We had spent awful long time with their sales team at preserve at Goose Creek, Ashburn, VA on a new home contract. The sales rep was not open on the discounts being offered for the new home and if the lot was open, to write a contract. We had to go to their office twice when we were finally told that an initial contract can be written; however, it will be a backup once their management reviews it. The initial response came after a week and we're told that other contracts are cancelled and ours accepted but asking for more. We countered again based on their asking and they got back again after a week saying that is not good as their management wants to increase the price.

We indicated few options that we can remove and got a response again after a week with new price. We accepted the new price countered to us and asked to move forward; however, the sales team got back to us again next day indicating the management wants to increase the price again by $8,000. All this process took about three weeks which was very painful as we lost on other opportunities. The sales rep said that if we agree to counter, we would be good every time the counter price was given which they did not honor and were untrue to the counter prices they provided. I would not recommend anyone to go with this builder.

In the Summer of 2012, I purchased a home in Brookfield's Saranac Community. I would take the decision back in a second because of their sales manager, who can be best described as a liar and a bully. I cannot say enough how unprofessional this individual is and how poorly he handled each and every situation during the approximately one year I've had the displeasure of knowing him. On the day we signed the contract, we were excited to buy our home and showed willingness to cooperate throughout the entire process. However, all of it was spoiled due to this person's inability to do their job and lack of any form of customer services skills.

A few things on a long list of incompetence includes emails which were extremely rude and unclear (i.e. one-worded answers pasted within our original emails), as well as being demanding when it wasn't his position to do so. When he addressed a concern or complaint, it was to cover himself but not the issue. We had an overall nightmarish experience with this company and I would not recommend them to anyone under any circumstance. Don't get fooled by the charm of these arts and crafts style homes, you will put yourself through hell and it just isn't worth it.

I have been working for your company for eight years and have never received a check no sooner than 60 days after the work is done. How can you hold a pay check for five months? You always have some excuse. For a big builder, you sure can't pay employees and that is a fact! But you have parties, etc. and no more excuses. You have run out! I bet you get your check at the end of the week. Just pay the hardworking people, please. You're not the only ones that have bills. This is very unprofessional and really pathetic. This is just a warning. Next time, I will talk to an attorney and I speak for all the hard workers!

I worked for Brookfield Homes (Southern California) from 2003 to 2009 as their receptionist and eventually, in the Customer Care Department. I sat in on various managers' meetings taking notes and was a member of the "ICE team" (Improving the Customer Experience). Please take it from me as someone who has been a fly on the wall, Brookfield Homes Southern California is exceptional. From the President to Design to Sales to Construction, everyone is hardworking and honest from the top down. They truly care about the product, the customer and providing a great home buying experience. I can't speak for the VA division because I did not work there, but as far as the Southern California division goes, you could not find a more honest, trustworthy company to buy a home from.

I am now a stay at home mom of two and when I saw the low rating on this site, I had to say something. I would hate for anyone thinking of buying a home from them to see these comments and question the integrity of Brookfield, CA and the beautiful homes they build. Mistakes happen I'm sure, but if you buy a home from a company whose main internal motto is "Do the right thing", you can't go too wrong in my opinion.

Brookfield Homes Company Profile