Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

50 Brookfield Residential Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 6, 2019

I am overall disappointed and shocked with my experience with Brookfield's customer service and quality control. It has been a nonstop effort of trying to play catch up of items that should be taken care of before closing and we should have not closed.

1. I have a side yard that is full of dirt and has a number of sharp items such as nails in it (per construction manager they take the dirt from other construction sites). My dog now has a gash in his foot and he is still limping from being in my own yard. Even though I tried to pick up all of the nails it is nearly impossible. I cannot do anything to the yard until the HOA approves it. This I am told usually takes approx. 60 days. After closing on a new home I should be able to use the side yard without concerns for harm.

2. Upon turning on the irrigation line in the basement there was a leak from the bleeder cap. They placed one on my porch for me to replace myself. However, when this was replaced there was then a leak under the stucco on the outside that went down into the basement in the insulation. This should have been demonstrated and checked in the home demonstration as the irrigation system was in. I now have damage to my property that could have been avoided. In addition, the stucco has not been fixed after 2 months. Maurice ** (construction manager) tried to then place blame on me.

3. There is a steep drop off the patio 20" that poses a significant hazard. It is shocking that even if it is technically to code, Brookfield wouldn't take the time and effort to make sure they are providing a safe environment for families.

4. It took 30 days to repair Items that I did not sign off on prior to closing. The quality of repairs have been subpar as well. I had to insist on repairing the cabinets 4 different times before they would call the cabinet company to properly repair it. (This is separate from the 30 day warranty list).

5. When asking for repairs and vocalizing my concerns, I was talked down to and at one time suggested that I go get goof off and touch it up myself (this was prior to closing). It is unacceptable that I would be expected to repair a place I didn't even own at the time. I strongly believe they tried to "get away with/push the limit" due to the fact I am a single female. I have spoken with neighbors who felt the same way when their spouses were not present. This is directed a Maurice **, not the rest of Brookfield.

6. They put a mismatched piece of wood as a transition piece. I asked for one that matched and was told that that didn't exist. It does in fact exist and Maurice happily accommodated my neighbor with the same flooring, but not for me.

7. I asked for measurements of a door opening for my layout so I could purchase a solid walnut door. The measurements given to me via email were incorrect from Roger ** (sales office). Even though Brookfield gave me the wrong info, would not frame the door to the measurements given.

8. They would not let me test for radon prior to closing. I view this as endangering my health, and that of my family. The levels were over 4 times the accepted value. I had to live with that for over 1.5 months until I received the results and could schedule mitigation.

I have also learned that Maurice ** has bad mouth me to my realtor, who also bought a home a few doors down. It is unacceptable for a company to employ and have him interact with clients that are are spending well over 550k. If I could give zero stars I would. While new home ownership comes with some growing pains, this is a new level. I have gone through the new home build process multiple times and this is by far the worst quality of construction and degrading I have ever experienced. Brookfield Residential clearly does not care about the customer's satisfaction or safety.

Original review: June 17, 2018

I think that it is incredibly important to share your positive experiences, in addition to letting a person know when they have done an extra-ordinary job. When my husband and I set out to have our home built it was quite a daunting and overwhelming experience. One in which neither my husband nor myself knew anything about; however, Holly ** from Brookfield Homes in Gambrills, Maryland, made the entire process an amazing experience. That's not saying that everything was perfect, nothing ever is.There are always hiccups in anything you do at this magnitude; however, Holly was quick to be right on top of our every need and/or whim. Sometimes even before we knew we needed her to be. We rested easy at night knowing that our best interest was at the upmost concern through this process and that made this experience one in which I didn't dread, but actually looked forward to through out all those months we worked so closely together.

Holly is beyond personable, kind, compassionate, empathetic, appreciative, gracious, and attentive. I am confident she has never met a stranger in her life. She makes everyone she comes into contact with feel like they are the only ones that matter and she has everything handled, and she certainly did. I am so grateful my home is built and we are finally moved in, but I am sad that Holly is no longer a permanent member of my daily activities like she had been while building our home. I would recommend Holly and Brookfield Homes, and have, to anyone I come across wanting to buy a home. I know that our experience and outcome would not have been remotely the same without her constant and consistent support. I am grateful to her for all of her hard work and dedication she put into my families happiness and wish her nothing but wonderful things to come in her own life.

Brookfield Homes has a diamond amongst them and it is my sincere hope that they are able to see and appreciate all the wonderful things she brings to their clients, families, and business. We all have choices in life and I would choose Holly ** and Brookfield Homes a million times over after how my families experience has been throughout this long and arduous process. Only made less arduous because we had Holly always looking out for us.

Get expert buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 26, 2018

We purchased a new Brookfield home in Oshawa in 2002. We were pleased with it and decided to purchase a larger home to suit our growing family. What a mistake! We have been in our homes for just over 7 years. We have a leaky basement and today discovered we have a hole in the roof. A hole! The insurance adjuster credited the "shady builder". We had many attempts at fixing the basement leak, but as many of the other homeowners experienced, the customer service AFTER you purchase is horrible. I will never purchase another Brookfield home nor will I recommend this builder to anyone I care about. The Tarion warranty is just short of a joke really- your house needs to literally fall apart before they will fix anything after 2 years.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

Holly was my sales rep when purchasing a Brookfield home in the Wilson’s Grove neighborhood in Gambrills, MD. Holly went above and beyond to secure our business as well as get us the best deal possible! Absolute pleasure to work with. At no time did I feel like she was placing the builder’s interests in front of ours. Holly’s personal interest undoubtedly secured our business for Brookfield. She is a priceless asset for Brookfield Residential.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

We noticed a small defect on our oven after 45 days and were told that Brookfield does not warranty appliances to contact Bosch. Bosch does not cover defects after 30 days so we got screwed and Brookfield could care less. Additionally, they still cannot fix the pocket door and squeaks in our master bedroom. Sounds like a house built in the 40’s. Buyer beware!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Brookfield Residential?

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

Before you sign the contract, everything is wonderful. After you sign the contract, good luck getting a return phone call or and email reply. The only way I can get through to someone is when I block my phone number or call with both of our work numbers. We were told our possession time frame is Dec/Jan. In December, we inquired 2-3 and was told the house is not ready, it'll likely be in January. We were advised to call back on Tuesday January 2nd for a date, for sure... Tuesday, January 2nd called 3 Times. 11:00am, 12:00pm and 1:30 pm. No one answered, left a message. No call back. I also sent an email, no response. Had my fiancé call at 3:00 with his work number, finally someone answered and said they do not have an answer yet, call back tomorrow.

Next day (Wednesday), we called back... no one answered again. No one called back. Friday morning I called in. I was told to call back Saturday morning. Then I got a call Friday evening telling me to check back Monday, January 8th. I called them on Monday at 12:00pm, I was told they still don't have an answer. Finally an hour later, I received a call saying there was a construction delay. New possession date is 2/22/18. WOW!!! I'm not surprised about the construction delay, I'm surprise it took them so long to tell me there is a delay. Like the person below said, it barely rained 2 days in December... I know his because I was counting. Hoping to moving in late Dec/Jan.

I get that new builds have construction delays, but what I don't like, respect or appreciate is that NO one has the courtesy to give me a call back or respond to my email or calls. Our current lease ends January 31. We had to ask for one month extension. Thank goodness it was approved, if not, I have no idea where we would've lived! One words: Unprofessional.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

So I started the process of buying my home at their Oakley Location at the end of October 2017. As with most builders you can't have a contingency (have to sell your home) this is normal but here is my big problem with this builder. They make you list your home within 2 weeks of a deposit of your new home and you have your old house sold very fast. Okay I can do that and will time it within the move in time of new house. I had several talks with about the new home completion time.

Sold my house very fast with being able to stay in it until my time frame of the new house. Well guess what. They're off by 1 month of my completion date. Now there have been no delays due to weather as it has only rained 2 days in the last 2 months. If you know anything about construction they follow a very tight schedule that is months out. So they're not delayed by bad weather, they just told me what I wanted to hear so I would by it.

So if you're reading this that tells me you might be thinking about buying from this builder. If you don't have to sell your home you're in or can rent right up till the time your new is done then I say you're fine but if not then pass this builder up and move on. Have you ever bought a car and they were very nice and told you want you wanted to hear but were not honest, you know car sales type people. (And I give 5 stars to a car dealer I rated on here.) Well this is the equivalent in home builders. I hope the president of the company is reading this and wants to hear more. I'm lot 208, give me a call.

Original review: June 2, 2017

Brookfield Homes has recently acquired Grand Haven Homes in Texas. Grand Haven built my house in 2016 but now they call themselves Brookfield so my review will be to warn others of what Brookfield is today in Austin. We have had no less than 40 warranty issues since we moved in. The craftsmanship and quality of materials is poor. We have paid roughly $800K for our home and do not feel that the quality is worthwhile.

Yes, the home looks beautiful on the exterior and interior, but underneath the surface is shoddy workmanship. From roof leaks, to plumbing issues, to flooring defects, to heating/cooling problems to name a few. Many other issues exist too. They have fixed most of them over the course of a year, but getting them to come out is a real hassle. It takes multiple calls to them and they rarely come out when they say they will. And the vendors that come out are underprepared and untimely, and many times their repair leads to another problem. It is almost like the builder is hoping you will get frustrated enough to forget about the problems and stop asking them to come out.

And then there are customer service issues on the sales and home building side. Our salesman was not horrible but not great either. He did try to bend over backwards to accommodate some things, but on others he seemed to string us along hopefully for weeks or months only to give a negative response when the building process was far too deep to back out. When we moved in, their side made an error on the closing documents. We did our part. They didn't catch it until after closing and when our movers were driving over there to unload our stuff into their house.

Now although we had the most expensive house on the lot, we had been working with them for almost 2 years, it was their error, and I immediately wired them the missing money, they did not let us in our house due to paperwork and caused the movers to have to leave - costing us an extra $1500 that they did not reimburse. Not very customer oriented. Additionally, there is a pending lawsuit (which I am not a part of) right now where a large group of our neighbors are suing Grand Haven (now Brookfield) for misrepresentation during the sales process. If Grand Haven is now Brookfield Residential, I would suggest you find another builder in Austin, TX.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2017

I bought a home in Playa Vista, California in the Camden complex. After the initial year our homeowner association fees skyrocketed as the initial numbers Brookfield used were ridiculously low. They will lean on the fact that they simply used the Department of Real Estate handbook guidelines which are completely outdated and they know that they are outdated but still use those numbers for budgeting, enabling them to share a low number to prospective buyers. For example, they budgeted $350 for monthly cleaning of all of the buildings in the complex. The reality, lowest bid was more $3,000 monthly. They only budgeted $.01 (one penny) for mandatory methane gas monitoring!!! Let the buyer beware.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2016

My family and I live in a Brookfield Homes and had a pretty big scare last week that I want to share... We had been having some issues with heating over the last month and so we contacted Smith & Willis - our home wouldn't heat to more than 65 degrees, regardless of where we set the temp. S&W sent a tech out and that's when he discovered a serious problem. I do not fully understand the mechanics, but apparently while Brookfield was building our home, they switched the furnace to propane while waiting for the natural gas device they needed. Apparently, Brookfield failed to alert Smith and Willis to convert back to natural gas prior to us moving in. Per the Smith & Willis tech, this oversight could have resulted in an explosion. He called his supervisor and was told to immediately turn everything off and dismantle all the wires on the furnace. He thanked us repeatedly for calling him to come and look at the problem; he was clearly shaken up.

Although we weren't pleased with Brookfield's initial reaction, they have since apologized for the mistake and for the stress it created and have said they are going to look into it further (including reaching out to the HVAC company). I have two young boys and was in tears that evening. I didn't want to stay in the house again until I was certain that everything was fixed - which it seems to be now. My husband was furious; I'm sure you all can imagine the stress this situation caused. It is difficult getting over the fact that apparently our house could have blown up. While we don't know who is directly responsible, someone behaved irresponsibly and it is a big deal, so we are sharing this story to help ensure that current and prospective homeowners are being proactive and ensuring they are safe in their Brookfield homes, and frankly; we also simply wanted to vent our frustration as we don't know what else to do.

Brookfield Residential Company Information