1.27/5
Based on 142 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Find a recommended home builder & developer now

202 Beazer Homes Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 2, 2018

My experience with Beazer Home Developer has been less than extremely dissatisfied and I hope no one else has to go through this. To start... Beazer does not care about the community they develop & uses unskilled labor and cheap building practices. The major problem I am having is my backyard (land development issue) which backs up to a community retention pond. Beaver developed my lot on a mudslide which has continuously got worse.

Of course throughout the building phase they promised they were going to take care of the problem (email & in person). Then Beazer basically re-routed me to the city, water dept, MUD & others. However, the second they finished developing the community and turned it over to the HOA... guess what? My issue became a HOA issue; however, they did attempt a repair for three connected neighbors but as expected there was no supervision and chances are they forgot or neglected to do behind my house. Today, only a couple years in there is essentially no land remaining behind my fence not even 5 inches to stand on and my fence is falling. How do you anchor a fence with no land to position fence posts? The erosion is out on control and Beavers lack of concern for there poor development is really alarming and consumers beware!!! My only recourse is legal action with expert witnesses, so please share if you’ve had any similar experiences with Beazar?

Original review: May 28, 2018

Closed on my home in November and the house has been nothing but a problem. Shower walls, windows coming undone, tile breaking, HVAC flow issues but we don’t have an access to the attic and Beazer refuses to fix this issue. Beazer sales people lie and do a bait and switch for the prices as well as deposits. The worst company I have ever dealt with in my 30 years of buying and selling homes. Would never recommend them to my worst enemy. Could be great but choose to build low quality, crappy homes that will never stand up to age.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: May 16, 2018

Buying a house with Beazer Homes has turned into a bad nightmare for us. The quality of the base fixtures that are included are so bad that you will find better quality items even in a low end apartment. The carpet which is included is paper thin, the bathroom fixtures are low in height and smaller size, the hardwood floor looks crappy, the garage door opener is not included and so on. So you will end up making a ton of upgrades and increase the sale price so high that the price will end up being higher than any comparable homes in that area. Their new home prices are so much jacked up to start with. I must have lost my mind to book a home with them even after reading all these negative reviews. On top of it they are rude and very customer unfriendly. You can literally be threatened.

Original review: March 8, 2018

After not qualifying for a mortgage, Beazer Homes is refusing to refund our 12k deposits. They are going to resell the townhome and just pocket my hard earned 12k!!! NEVER EVER WALK INTO A BEAZER HOME MODEL CENTER AND TELL EVERYONE!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

We were told more than once, in person, that the $1000 down payment to secure a lot was refundable if we backed out. That is not true. We are now being told we cannot have it back. We backed out after getting negative feelings about the way they were doing business. New costs continually kept coming up that were not spoken about to us when we put the original money down. This company cannot be trusted, and we will never consider a home by this builder again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Beazer Homes?

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

This people are not qualify to be trusted. Very poor customer service. After you sign the contract to close they don't care about you. We have too many problems with our new home is never been solve. Terrible mistake to choose them. I don't recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

I purchased a newly-constructed home in Palm Springs from Beazer in 2015. I found the quality of the construction to be sorely lacking, and their responsiveness to the myriad issues I had was even worse. There were multiple other houses being built on my cul de sac after mine was completed, so I had to endure several months of constant construction noise, as well as multiple flat tires from the construction debris their crew regularly dropped in the street. Trash (especially fast food wrappers from their crew's lunches) blew over onto my yard daily. At one point, when they were blowing in foam insulation on the houses upwind of me, so much of foam particulate blew over to my lawn that it literally looked like it had snowed. Beazer didn't think to remove it on their own and, eventually, only reluctantly agreed to pay for my gardener to remove it all.

Worst of all, after a heavy rainstorm at the beginning of 2016, when my house was less than 1 year old, I discovered a major leak due to the faulty way Beazer had constructed the roof. This necessitated ripping out drywall on my floors and ceilings in my living room, dining area, hallways, closets and bathrooms, drying it out for several days, and tenting half the main section of the house for several weeks.

While the repairs were covered under warranty, it took months to finish the job and I was largely unable to use the house during this time (it was a weekend home that I had essentially zero use of during peak season). Beazer refused to provide me with any kind of allowance to rent another place for the time the construction went on, despite the fact that the leak never would have happened but for their shoddy construction and poor quality control. Of course, I also had to disclose this issue when I sold the place a year later, which almost certainly led to a lower-than-expected sale price.

Besides the leaking roof, I also regularly contended with sliding windows that fell out of their tracks, baseboards and moldings popping away from walls, wiring issues on my landscape lighting, cheap/sticking locks, etc. I often just performed or paid for repairs myself to ensure they were done properly, rather than relying on whomever Beazer sent out. The home looked pretty enough, but if you looked closely you could see that the quality of the materials they used was really poor (e.g., no name electrical outlets, switches, light fixtures, etc., flimsy door handles, thin/low-quality drywall, particle board baseboards and moldings, hollow-core doors, etc.). Obviously, I knew some of this when I purchased the home. I just wasn't prepared for how much work it would take correcting their mistakes and trying to maintain a house with such subpar construction.

Admittedly, most people who are happy with their homes won't take the time to come to this site and sing its praises, so there probably a fair number of people who are satisfied with their Beazer homes. But if you read the reviews, you'll see a lot of common themes - based on my experience, these ring very true. I won't ever be buying another Beazer home, and I strongly caution anyone thinking of doing so to avoid the same mistake I made.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

My wife and I purchased a home in the Eagles nest community March 2010. We have had numerous issues beyond belief. Starting with the roof needing to be replaced when the home was only 5 yrs old, drain pipe on 2nd floor not glued causing a flood in the pantry below when draining water from a HW heater. All of our appliances have had to be replaced or repaired within the 1st 5 yrs.

The latest is us having to replace the entire HVAC system. My wife and I are so hurt with having to deal with all of these issues on what was supposed to be our happy home. It has caused so much pain and we are very saddened by Beazer lack of help and support. They have offered nothing to us. We paid a premium to live in this subdivision and have regretted it every day. Beazer will use the poorest quality of materials and pass it along to the client. I hope you really think twice about purchasing a Beazer home. You will regret you ever did. We have spent over 15 thousand in repairs or replacement within the last 5 yrs due to poor quality/craftsmanship.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

I purchased a Beazer Home in Dec. 2016. The home was 8 years old. When the home warranty inspector checked out the house he informed me that the back door was installed incorrectly. The hinges were on the outside and he told me that anyone could knock out the hinge pegs and break into my house. We also noticed that the door was starting to warp because of the outside exposure. This also does not allow you to install security screen door because of the way it was installed.

When I called Beazer Homes I was told that it was 10 years structural and one year on everything else and that there was nothing I could do about it. I explained my concern that someone could easily break into my home and their response was that there was nothing they could do about it. They didn't even send anyone out to look at it. I feel like this is a structural issue and that they could have at least sent someone out. I would like to know if I have a legitimate complaint or is this something that I'm stuck with. My daughter has the same house across the street and her door is the same way.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

We purchased a home in May. In Delaware we only purchased here because we could install a fence in our backyard. Nowhere were we told that the fence had to be 3 feet off the property line. After we installed the fence, we were told that they had amended. The HOA rules. But nobody had been notified in writing or verbal. If we knew we would have had a 7 foot back yard, we never would have purchased from Beazer homes. Been in home 90 days and now for sale. If agent for Beazer homes did tell us this up front we would not be in mess.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017 Would like to share my experience with Beazer. Hope no one else has to go through this. First, Beazer uses unskilled labor and cheap building practices. The real problem I am having is my back yard was not graded right. The yard slopes toward the back of the house and not away from it. Cannot get Beazer to fix it.

Now to share my story. We purchased a new Capri but we did not want the extra closet in the master bedroom. They submitted it to the construction manager (glorified scheduler) and he came back with a $600 added even though it was less material and labor. We did not change the plans other than eliminate the closet door and shelves. Then during the walk through the construction manager lied to our faces. When caught, he walked out of the walk through. Both the Beazer salesman and our real estate agent was there.

We closed on the house to find out our backyard was not graded right. Beazer has used scare tactics to keep from fixing the problem. They told us because we put in a sprinkler system it voided our warranty. Then they told us that because we planted two trees in our backyard it voided our warranty. This is when I really got mad, really mad. Lots of people put in sprinkler systems and plant trees. The problem is the yard is not graded right and they look for every excuse to get out of their poor workmanship.

One of our neighbor’s houses was so bad that they put signs up saying to stop and ask them about their Beazer home. Beazer finally fixed their problem. Another neighbor was so displeased that they did not want Beazer warranty coming into their home. I hope this help in your decision. I would not buy another Beazer home unless it was already built and I could see the final product. Once again, they use unskilled labor and cheap materials.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

We signed a contract early Jan 2016 to buy a house and placed $5000 earnest money. Original home was to have a 3 car garage. Closing was set for End of September 2016. July 15, 2016 we had a walk through and were told that house was a 2 car garage due to a bonus room add-on upstairs. This add-on was added in original document signed 6 months earlier. This was the FIRST time we were ever told it was 2 car not a 3 car garage. We complained to realtor Beazer Homes. We reviewed blue print and it also showed 3 car garage even on July 15, 2016 when we went over with Dolores ** soon thereafter. We had gone through 6 months of painful waiting and selection of door knobs, flooring, carpet, doors, etc. and were devastated.

Dolores apologized for her mistake and said she was 100% responsible and could give us 2-3 thousand in return during closing. We were not satisfied and asked for refund of earnest money. She promised and sent us document to sign to get earnest money back. We signed it Aug 11 via docusign. After 5-6 emails, dozens of phone calls and no response, we finally heard that they were not refunding our money. The document signed also states that "denial of refund" without a reason.

The house originally was 3 car garage, and due to mistake by the builder and Dolores ** the realtor, they made it a 2 car garage and didn't tell us. Dolores admitted 100% responsibility. We were told we would get a refund - but then Dolores ** resigned, and her boss over-ruled the verbal agreement. We canceled the sale and will never EVER deal with Beazer Homes Again. They are not reliable, and have no attention to detail. THEY BUILD A 2 CAR GARAGE HOUSE EVEN THOUGH OUR BLUEPRINTS HAD 3 CAR GARAGE AND IT WASN'T CAUGHT UNTIL 1 MONTH BEFORE COMPLETION. They are MORONS. I have filed BBB complaint, and am writing about my experience on every review site I can think of that will let me review them.

Original review: July 19, 2017

My Wife and I had a new home built with BEAZER HOMES. During a storm one of the bedroom windows fell out of the building (complete frame and window). Called Beazer about it, they told us the installer went out of business and that we should contact our insurance co. The installer we hired to put a new window in told us the original window was not installed correctly. It was not bolted to the house. Our roof started leaking after 8 years. We contacted Beazer about our 10 year roof warranty we received during settlement. They told us they could not contact the installer or the manufacturing co. "They went out of business, call your insurance co." We have had malfunctions with dishwasher, microwave & garbage disposal. All three had to be replaced within the first two years of living in the new house.

Original review: July 16, 2017

We have all dream about owning a home that you can call your own. Our home was built in 2011. We have so many issues with this home. Where do I begin. Our air condition unit is too small for our 2 story home. Our air condition unit was installed incorrectly. Our ceiling is leaking and have some water leaking from it. Our roof. Please don't get me started. We have cheap material in our home. Doors, cabinets, floors, sink. Nothing in our home is good. I am seriously thinking about taking action against Beazer. Please don't do business with Beazer. Stay away.

Original review: July 6, 2017

I have purchased 2 homes in the same Beazer development in Orlando. Both homes had roof issues resulting in roof leaks. The roof leak in my current home was so bad that it damaged 3 different areas of my ceiling and a whole section of the roof had to be replaced due to poor workmanship. Basically, this particular area of the roof had such a low pitch, that customary business practice said they should have installed the tiles a certain way. However, Beazer failed to do so and it caused the whole area of the roof to leak, then rot, then cave in causing damage to my ceiling.

I posted about the experience on social media and Beazer reached out to me and asked me to gather documentation. After spending the time to gather the documentation, they refused to do anything about my claim. As such, I started posting about my experience on social media. Instead of fixing the issue, Beazer blocked me on Facebook and deleted my comments. Thus, they essentially deleted my negative comments and blocked me so that people only see positive comments. Such a practice is deceitful in my opinion.

Original review: June 20, 2017

I purchased a Beazer home a little over 5 yrs ago. The home was built in 2005. One of the biggest mistakes of my life. The home was a little over 5 yrs old when I bought it and it passed inspection easily so I made the stupid, stupid mistake of assuming it was good to go. Oh how I wish I had done more research into this builder. Simply put, their homes are poorly built. Since purchase I'm on my third major roof repair. The first major roof repair occurred when the house was less than 10 yrs old. And guess what? You got it, no one from Beazer could be found to help with the warranty. Literally no one from Beazer would respond to phone calls or emails or anything. Since the repair was urgent, it came out of pocket. As have the other two. A water pipe broke under the tension slab foundation. I don't even want to go into the details of what a mess that was and how expensive it was to fix. Half of the kitchen appliances have failed and needed multiple repairs.

The house has 4.5 bathrooms and every single toilet had to have the water shutoff valve replaced and all of the tank guts replaced. The house has 2 a/c units and both are on their last legs. One of the air handlers in the attic is failing and the drip pans have had to be replaced due to excessive rusting. I could go on and on but what is the point. This is truly one of the worst built homes I have ever occupied. I can't even begin to get my head around how Beazer is still in business. They really should be ashamed of their inferior product even though I'm fully aware they are not, as evidenced by the number of bad reviews. I have no expectation that this company will do anything with this review or in any way acknowledge their crap products. I wrote this review to hopefully save another potential buyer from making the same mistake I did.

Original review: May 12, 2017

Beazer Homes Abandons "Cliffs at Dover" Las Vegas Community. I'm seeing a list of complaints against this so-called builder. A doorknob falling off is not a complaint: A complaint is when you wake up eight months after closing on your home and find out the builder abandoned the gated community, with no answers as to why - As the rest of Las Vegas appreciates exponentially. A complaint is when homeowners freak out and a massive fire-sale takes place as a result of such, catapulting prices downward even further. A complaint is when the builder adds insult to injury, abandons their portion of the subsidies, leaving the HOA price to DOUBLE. A complaint is when you can get no answers, no line of dialogue, and no investigation from even local news stations - Even after doing due diligence upon finding out Beazer has a sordid history of such. Still upset your doorknob fell off? Tell ya what, if you wanna feel better, just stop by our quarter-built, half-** subdivision here in Las Vegas.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2017 My wife and I purchased a Beazer Home in Cameron Village, Myrtle Beach, SC in Sept 2016. Going on five months here and the following issues have come up:

The heating/ac unit was not bolted down to the platform and the wind blew it over. The entire foundation had to be redone because of exposed conduit and pitting. The electrical in the laundry room was wired incorrectly and blew our washer and dryer. The ceiling in our first bedroom had to be replaced because of a water leak from rain. The powder room and bathroom had to be completely redone because of poor construction and painting. The front bedroom window was falling out of the house and had to be replaced.

The outside light by the screened in porch was positioned right in line of the door so that it hit the door every time opening it. The sales person, Jenny, lied to my wife saying the blinds in the house would be Hunter Douglas wood blinds but they were cheap plastic ones. When fixing the powder room, they sawed right through the wall and into the Master bathroom. The cabinets installed had scratches and chip marks everywhere. After three visits by the cabinet company, they are still not correct! (They ordered the wrong size and color three times.) I could go on for another 6 pages, but I think you all get the idea. DO NOT BUY A HOUSE FROM BEAZER HOMES!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2016

Old saying "Buyer beware." I inspected my house before moving in and really I'm satisfied with home, however I did not pull dimensions on garage and to my surprise my truck won't fit (standard crew cab). Of course I filed arbitration $700 out of pocket. Young man arbitrating was like deer in headlights and Beazer rep. just keep repeating "it"s not a construction defect as stated in the warranty." Never mind common sense, that's out the window. The model plans as advertised can be changed without your even knowing.

The Beazer rep tells you the home was built per the drawings that you never see. Long story short I lost, they win. I'm just warning all to pull your car in the garage and make sure it fits and you can close the garage door before you sign on the dotted line. Beazer offered nothing, not even I'm sorry, the contracts are worded heavily in favor of home builder so read carefully, my mistake may save you. By the way it's the Cameron Model.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2016

In Re #BeazerHomes. Here I will set forth memorializing, as I recently did in a tweetstorm on Twitter, our family’s #newhome buying experience with #BeazerHomes over the past year or so. First, let me say that we much love living in our new home here on coastal North Carolina with its single-level living lifestyle. We find every day to be a blessing and a joy lived to the fullest. However, had we known the following chain of events was to be our fate - regarding our dealings with our homebuilder, we would never have chosen #BeazerHomes to build this particular floorplan for us. IMO, in our opinion, people seeking to build a new home, would be wise to take a PASS on #Beazer Homes and go about selecting another new home builder. Find someone else to go with IMO in our opinion.

The following items we dealt with are rather significant ones comparatively speaking, factually based and representative of the issues we suffered in rectifying over the past year or so, but this list is by no means intended to be an exhaustive one. Many more contractors with a view to correcting many issues visited our home during our initial year and fortunately they have been overwhelmingly corrected, some after multiple contractor attempts a la the proper plastering of our kitchen ceiling.

In Re #BeazerHomes. PUT ON YOUR SEAT BELTS. The cliché goes that there is nothing new under the Sun. Our #newhome buying experience during the period 2015-2016 resonates some of the dominant themes that are encountered in “Mr. Blanding Builds His Dream Home,” the 1948 American comedy film starring Cary Grant, Myrna Loy, and Melvin Douglas. In the film, from the original purchase to the new home’s completion, a long litany of unforeseen troubles and setbacks beset the hapless Blandings. So too, it has been our #newhome buying/building experience with #BeazerHomes here in a quaint southeastern North Carolina fishing village. In our case, the majority of the new homeowner nightmares which we experienced powerfully manifested themselves AFTER our closing on the home back on June 30, 2015.

In Re #BeazerHomes. COMPLETING LANDSCAPING. In the months subsequent to closing, we experienced seemingly interminable delays in having our new home’s landscaping completed together with much inconvenience and unnecessary angst. We were told by the local office representative, in writing via email that we had to wait in the queue; that we who had closed on our #newhome and paid for the same, seemingly had to wait month after month after month where likely we were surely waiting for homeowners, “fresh meat”, new victims in Beazer’s production chain who had come after us to be similarly victimized by IMO by perhaps likewise rank incomplete workmanship. Whereas an entire side of our property continued in remaining unfinished, with a chronically pooling of water to boot adjacent to our “new” home’s driveway.

Only AFTER I wrote a letter documenting the facts of the same (along w/ several color photos of the property’s incomplete landscaping) personally sent to Beazer Homes’ President/CEO, did a landscaping crew arrive at our property forthwith successfully completing the long promised work. Who, genuinely, was responsible for the long, nine month delay, in completing our lot’s landscaping, and was anyone ever earnestly held to be accountable for such? Consequences? Highly unlikely.

In Re #BeazerHomes. HEATING/AC/HVAC. For six months, we had no heating or air conditioning in half of our residence. Finally, a contractor with the installation HVAC company determined that the job had in his words been “botched.” He had the basic human decency to apologize that one of his fellow contractors had hose the job and that, he himself, did know how to correct the situation. I contacted the company the next day and scheduled the job making sure that he who had properly diagnosed the issues would be on the repair crew for the day in which the job was to be undertaken.

He did appear on the appointed day and corrected, essentially redid the entire duct work for ½ of the house guaranteeing us heat and AC which he in fact did. After 6 long months (AFTER CLOSING), we FINALLY had heat and AC in this half of our residence; a half which btw included the Master bedroom and the Master Bath, among other rooms. Who, genuinely, was responsible for the inordinately excessive six month delay in correctly completing our HVAC, in half of our brand new home, and was anyone ever earnestly held accountable for such? Consequences? Highly unlikely.

In Re #BeazerHomes. HARDWOOD FLOORING. In the months following our closing on the house, we noticed that the hardwood floors were noticeably buckling. Several of our neighbors on our block and in our subdivision were experiencing the same to such an extent, that many of us contacted the local serving office for #BeazerHomes here on the SC/NC border only to be told that an investigation would be commenced. Sure enough, in the months that followed, one day an appointment was scheduled and several visitors to our home were involved. Representatives from the hardwood floor manufacturer, Armstrong Floors, had flown in from Florida, for purposes of conducting various household studies of the alleged defective flooring in our subdivision. There was also a representative present from the builder’s contractor, who had installed the hardwood floors at the time the home was being built.

Many months later, we were advised by a representative of the latter firm that, including among other things, the study had concluded that the “glue” that had been employed in the installation was determined to have been the inappropriate glue for said flooring and thus, the hardwood flooring therefore, per se, was not defective but rather the glue used. Given that we had paid substantially for these existing hardwood floors, we inquired as to whether any viable alternative choices for flooring at identical/comparable pricing would be available from which to choose. Boxes of hardwood floor samples were mailed to our residence. Soon thereafter, we were erroneously told by the vendor’s representative on September 26, 2016, would run us an additional $3,460! – a figure, that was subsequently corrected by the hardwood floor installing vendor, with earnest apologies extended on Sept 29, 2016 –to $1,300. But the fun was just beginning.

The rep from our local Beazer servicing office advised me to pass him on the figure to him which I did (we did like the hardwood floor, named Cajun Spice from the many hardwood floor samples provided and reviewed) as he would make a point of consulting w/ his higher mgmt. he advised us, inquiring whether Beazer might offer us assistance in this regard. Subsequently, we were advised that no assistance whatsoever would be made by Beazer, ergo our alternative, was to have the very floor which had been erroneously installed, would now be torn out, but replaced with the same albeit hopefully, with the correct glue applied, this time when installed. Who, genuinely, was responsible for the flooring situation, and should not Beazer have exhibited greater flexibility in assisting its new home customers for this major dislocation and inconvenience?

Reportedly, other homeowners similarly situated in our subdivision community, had received alternative floor upgrade assistance in this regard from Beazer, whereas we were advised that none whatsoever would be forthcoming. Transparency? Fairness? Flexibility? Reasonableness, under these aforementioned, protracted, extenuating highly inconvenient - circumstances? It is reasonable to suggest that Beazer miserably fails these tests on all counts.

In Re #BeazerHomes. CONCLUSION. Unfortunately, our #newhome buying experience was, accordingly nightmarish to the present, and has led us to conclude that Beazer is surely a slave to its contractors many nationwide and that while some of them are indeed quite good performers, with the majority being average as would be expected, some of them - are akin to IMO given our experience letting on occasion the likes of Laurel & Hardy, Abbott & Costello, The Three Stooges, and moreover, The Marx Brothers - into your “new home” to make - “repairs.”

If Beazer has neither the will, resources, or capacity to exercise greater due diligence at the local field office level in giving better Quality Control treatment to its customer base, a serious effort in good faith to its new home buyers’ experience (particularly, just at or prior to actually closing, on a new home with them) IMO, then those prospective new home, home buyers need to take their money elsewhere now, and find a home builder who will give them such, or better than that which Beazer is offering up, in some cases and in ours IMO, a hellish nightmarish experience when the #newhome buying experience should be anything but, a cardinal point that seems to sadly to elude far too many still in Beazer’s employ. The cavalier attitude of some local Beazer representatives, in this regard, moreover is a poor day-to-day advertisement for a nationally ranked Billion dollar+ Fortune 500 home building company, that frankly deserves better.

A little housecleaning could go a long way, but without an earnest Quality Control program reaching beyond mere lip service, the prospects for Beazer are not as good, as it likely thinks they are. My family and I surely deserved far greater flexibility from Beazer Homes as THEIR customer than we, under these aforementioned nasty experiences circumstances, received. No, we are not moving…as I said at the very beginning of this essay, we love our new home. O but if we knew then, what we know now, we surely would have found another builder to build us our single level home on coastal North Carolina, period. Caveat emptor. Let the buyer beware, shop around, go elsewhere, and hopefully, you won’t get Beazered (ouch!) as we did, IMO, in our opinion. Shop elsewhere, folks. And “thank you” for letting us share our #newhome buying experiences with #BeazerHomes with you. Take care and be well.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2016

BEWARE of Beazer Homes, especially their sales agent Ernie ** and his boss David **. They cheated me out of $3000 earnest money. My financing fell through and they gave me the runaround for 3 months and finally idiot ** calls me to tell me he can't refund my earnest money check and to read his contract. Yep, my fault for trusting these goons. As a licensed agent myself, I must warn people, to stay away from these con artists. I am in the process of filing a complaint against them with TREC, and will contact my broker and all my friends at RE/MAX and Keller Williams. This is not over, will do everything to make sure, they don't get to enjoy that money. It's okay I will survive, but they will lose more than the $3k they robbed me of. Idiot David **, you can't con people in the age of social media and the internet. Shame on you, shame on Beazer Homes.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2016

I am pleading with anyone thinking about purchasing a Beazer home to change your mind! The workmanship of this home is horrendous! We have had issue after issue from day one and we have only been in the home a month! The wiring was done wrong between the dishwasher and the hard food disposal which nearly caused the disposal to become steaming hot! I checked with another neighbor and they also had the same issue. EVERY door had dents/dings/scratches on them and blue tape issues were not resolved the day of closing. The furnace was not operating correctly, fireplace was installed crookedly, outside lighting was installed crookedly, vanities had chips on them from painters, piece of tile cut short in the master bath, floor loose and coming up in master closet, exhaust fan covers not installed properly, hose BIB installed crookedly, and porch column scratched and installed crookedly! These are still not all of the issues!

The absolute worst part is their customer service, it's horrible! No response half of the time, vendors who are sent to "fix" issues actually made more damages if and when they would actually show up! Multiple times they would come without the right materials to even address the issues! There is no timely response from Beazer whether you call or email! I will say again IF YOU ARE THINKING ABOUT BUYING A BEAZER HOME CHANGE YOUR MIND!!!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2016

Do not Fall into the Same Trap We did!! My husband and I purchased a home in Apex, NC built by Beazer. We loved the area and despite numerous negative reviews regarding the quality of their product, we proceeded. Do not make the same mistake we did. Because we loved the area, we talked ourselves into believing that it really couldn't be that bad. From the initiation of our home purchase, customer service was incredibly poor; we were lied to about a green space adjacent to our property; the quality of construction is horrible; Beazer uses the cheapest materials and labor they can find. During our final construction walk through with the Builder, multiple unfinished and unrepaired items were identified and brought to the Builders attention. Instead of addressing the issues, he stormed out of our closing walk through - items unaddressed.

With moving trucks lined up, etc. we had no choice but proceed to closing. However with significant delay as we attempted to obtain some kind of guarantee from Beazer that these items would be addressed and repaired. Their warranty department is atrocious. It look over 6 months to repair a water leak from our second floor master shower to the first floor family room. (This shower was unusable the entire 6 months). There were multiple no-shows by contractors and tile work that was installed so out of level that it had to be ripped out and re-tiled 3 times. Our neighbors all have reported very similar experiences. With Beazer currently building two Major developments in Apex, I would heed the warnings. We wish we would have.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2016

Out of curiosity, I decided to read recent Beazer reviews and was aghast to find they are still doing business the same shoddy way more than twenty years after I bought a Beazer home. I signed the contract for my home in January, 1994, with the understanding (verbally from the sales rep), construction would be completed by June, 1994. Three weeks after the contract was signed, I was asked by the sales rep to come into the office. I was told the sales rep had made an error, and that the lot I had picked was not to have been sold until a later phase. I told him I was not interested in any other lot and wanted out of the contract.

I was advised that if I backed out of the contract, they would keep my deposit. I told them my signed contract specified that lot, that I would not back out of the contract, but that if they wanted to back out of the contract, they had to give me my deposit back. I had to hire an attorney to send them a letter demanding they fulfill the contract. The response was that I could have the lot I had picked, but that the contract did not specify a completion date. The contract did specify that construction of my home would begin within six months.

I was told verbally by the sales rep that when my home was built, I would be entitled to what the standard features were at that time, not what was standard at the time I signed my contract. My contract had also included my upgrade choices, which included a tile surround of the fireplace, tile in all areas of the first floor, instead of carpet, and the electrical outlet and cement pad in the yard for a hot tub. I contacted my attorney, who advised that I was entitled to everything that was standard at the time I signed my contract, not future standards. Another letter was sent to Beazer. I saved my standard features list. When six months had gone by and no work had started on my home, I contacted the sales rep (now a different one), who apologized.

The next day, a bulldozer went to my lot and dug a small pit. When 2 months later, nothing else had been done, I was told that my contract specified construction must start in 6 months and that digging the hole was the start of construction! Every time the sales rep changed, I would be called into the office and would be asked to pick another lot and sign a new contract. I always refused.

After two years of hassles, my home was finally ready for walk-through in July of 1996. There was no fireplace, and the tile was only in 1/2 of where it was supposed to be. They had carpeted the living room. There was an electrical outlet and hot tub pad, but I was told the CC&R's (which were controlled by the developer until several years later) had changed, and that hot tubs were not allowed. I had to provide proof that the fireplace had been standard when I signed my contract, and they were visibly amazed/disgusted when I immediately pulled out my standard feature list and my copy of the contract with my upgrades.

On walk-through, I found that the attic access in a bedroom closet was missing. The rep had no idea what I was talking about and I had to show it to her in the model. Weeks later, the response from Beazer was that my city fire code did not require attic access, and therefore, they would not put it in. When they put in my fireplace, months later, it was with a stucco surround and I had to fight to get my tile surround.

On initial walk-through, there were over 30 items wrong, and I was verbally told they would be fixed within 30 days. After contacting them every week, at the 18 month mark after move-in, I picketed on the public sidewalk in front of the sales office with a list of my still unfixed items. The next day, a policeman and the sales rep showed up at my door with a picture of me picketing, said Beazer had filed a complaint and handed me a letter from Beazer saying that if I picketed again they would sue me. My list of items to be fixed were not repaired/completed until I had been living in the home for two years! It's easy to think that mistakes will happen and the complaints on this review site are rare exceptions, but they are not! Don't trust Beazer.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2016

Throughout our dealings with Beazer they misled us to believe that the high HOA fees ($130 to $218) were justified because the HOA was maintaining the front yards and paying for the water needed. Days before closing they reversed this and said we were now responsible for the maintenance and water and no fee adjustment would be made.

They also told us that Time Warner cable had been part of the construction and every home was ready to turn internet and cable on with a simple phone call. After countless calls to Beazer and TWC it turns out that Beazer's project did not meet the IRR requirement (Internal rate of return) and TWC pulled their crew off the job making this development un-serviceable. Beazer says TWC is lying and it's their fault the internet wasn't ready.

Every item found on our orientation/walkthrough remained unfixed on our closing day even though Beazer assured us that there would be a crew staying to fix whatever we found. They even told us that we would have to forfeit the house cleaning before our move in because we were moving in too soon, on our closing date.

One month after moving into this home, there has not been a single mail delivered; why? The USPS says Beazer didn't file our addresses until July 16th, we moved in on June 10th! Again Beazer says the USPS is lying, it's their fault. After meeting with the Beazer VP of Operations, he said it was our fault for signing the closing documents and not reading the HOA docs given to us 4 days earlier. What a disaster the executive staff of Beazer is, steer clear of them or you will regret it, really.

Original review: June 22, 2016

Beazer homes is the worst home I've ever seen!!! I am currently remodeling my house right now. They did a crappy job building the house. The front door frame is offset a lot. I will never recommend this company to anyone. They dented the gas line in the laundry room, everything is loose and they put cheap ** in my house. One of the windows is broken from the day I bought this house!!!

Original review: June 9, 2016

Builder controlled HOA, only allows for a 5-foot fence. HOA says builder will not amend the covenants while builder controlled, however they have already made changes to it. Who wants a maximum 5-foot fence? I mean I am 6 foot tall, so I guess I don't get to have any privacy. Beazer is pretty good at forgetting about you once your check clears! Overall construction is poor in my opinion especially in the price point I bought in. I have a laundry list of issues that need to be addressed at my 11 month walk through. I'll likely put it on the market right after that. Very poor experience. #firstandlastbeazerhome

Original review: April 13, 2016

Disappointing how the Blazer not solve customer problems. I bought a house and from the first month she had problems on the ground. Because the service provider has informed that the service was performed, although I as a customer report that was not done properly, the Beazer informs that no longer will do any repair. I bought a new home which unfortunately I cannot use the land.

Original review: April 10, 2016

We purchased a Beazer home in San Tan Valley, AZ and had numerous issues with our home. Entire house of tile had to be redone, nails popping out of wall, missing outlet, electric outage to name a few. We requested very reasonable compensation for our time and inconvenience and Beazer has refused to even admit how terrible their workmanship was and blatantly refused any sort of compensation request.

Original review: April 9, 2016

Stay far away from Beazer Homes!! They are thieves! I wish I have read the reviews about Beazer Homes before putting down earnest money. Long story short I was pre-approved but the loan did not go through. Beazer kept the earnest money and will not refund it. I will NEVER do business with them again and suggest any potential buyer to stay away!!!

Beazer Homes expert review by Joseph Truini

George Beazer, the founder of Beazer Homes, began building homes in England during the late-1690s. The company continued to grow over the centuries and in 1986, it moved to the U.S. to begin building custom homes. The company builds in 13 states: Arizona, California, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Maryland, Nevada, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Virginia.

• Assist with all stages of the homebuilding process: Beazer helps homebuyers find a suitable building lot and get a mortgage for their custom-built home.

• Energy efficiency: Every home Beazer builds meets or exceeds the most current Energy Star requirements. The result: lower energy bills.

• 12-month limited warranty: Buyers can get additional peace of mind with a 12-month limited warranty that covers some structural repairs after move in.

• Communication throughout the building process: Users can visit the construction site at any time and get regular reports about progress on their home.

• Lots of options for customization: Consumers can select from hundreds of design options, including types of siding, cabinetry, countertops and flooring. And an in-house design consultant can help buyers choose the right fixtures, finishes and fittings.

• Mortgage estimation online: Users can estimate their mortgage on Beazer's website prior to ordering a home so that they can stay within budget.

• Best for: Beazer Homes is best for people on a budget, people interested in customized homes and highly independent people.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
    Joseph Truini

Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Beazer Homes Company Information