Wolf Cooking Appliances

Wolf Cooking Appliances

3.1/5 (50 ratings)

About Wolf Cooking Appliances

Wolf Cooking Appliances Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wolf Cooking Appliances?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wolf?

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

Bought Sub Zero refrigerator and Wolf dual fuel for Kitchen remodel 10 years ago. (Also bought a Bosch dishwasher that deserves 5 stars). From the beginning problems one after another. While under warranty it was okay with some help and parts replacement. Once warranty was over things got really bad and expensive. The refrigerator is essentially a $10,000 ice box—freezer side works refrigerator has never been right. For awhile we used ice from freezer to supplement refrigerator cooling now we just have a separate fridge until we can replace the POS sub zero ice box...42” built in's very expensive but not as expensive as sub zero we probably have 18000 into this junk box by now.

The wolf stove has been nothing but trouble as well. The top gas burners are okay although in 10 years we have had to replace the burners twice once under warranty once out of pocket. The oven has been poopy since day one. It is fine for one cooking cycle but cooking twice in succession especially within a few hours of each other (holidays etc.) forget about it. We plan on pre cooking and warming and grilling. The oven will not heat up to temp accurately when cooking a couple of times in succession.

Don’t bother with suggestions. We are counting down the days to get rid of this junk box as well. Even while under warranty they tried a bunch of “fixes” that did nothing they just milked us along until warranty done. 15000 dollars worth of oven and fridge should be better and last more than to the end of the warranty. My parents use a 30 year old refrigerator with no issues ever. I know this is a local company that employs many folks here in Madison and their products are absolutely beautiful but that is not enough. The stuff should work.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

We replaced 4 heating elements cost of over 1200 dollars then ovens did not come up to temp. Called the service guy. He stated we should use convection bake. That would work better. Then cleaned the top oven and after that the lower oven wouldn’t work. Called the repair guy at a cost of 160 dollars. He said the cleaning tripped some manual reset in the oven. Told me not to use the cleaning cycle. So the long and short is, baking cycle not adequate for baking. On convection let heat over half hour. Never use cleaning cycle. Asked the repair guy if he needed to move in to keep the ovens going. To be fair I have 6 burner wolf cooktop I love. No problem so far.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

I bought a house and the previous owner did a major reno and installed Wolf appliances. A glass panel fell off the range hood. Wolf replaced free of charge as they felt it was a manufacturing defect despite the unit being 8 years old. Yes you can find appliances that are cheaper but I highly doubt those companies would stand behind their craftmanship as Wolf did in this case. Without hesitation, I will buy Wolf again. Very impressed. William **, Edmonton Alberta Canada

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

Updated on 02/02/2020: This is an update to a review I posted in August 2018. I'm going to address the grate issue. Standard grates that come with the range (in my experience) are inferior. I had standard grates replaced "3" times and they were all so wobbly that I finally asked Wolf for an alternative. Wolf (very willingly) sent me a set of their upgraded grates which is normally a cost of in between $300-$400 per set. Yes, they are less wobbly (still wobbly to some degree) but if you even "scoot" a pan across the grate it wears off the black finish. I do not use the searing method where you use a shake and flip method as I know this is not friendly to Wolf grates.

I've probably had my upgraded grates 3-4 months and the black finish is already worn down to the silver material...very disappointing. Not to be redundant but the grates I had on my previous Dacor range that I had for 19+ years never looked this bad so early in its life. Again, very disappointing. Please, when planning on spending top dollar for a "pro" appliance, review your options. I'm not sure I'd purchase a Wolf range again. Hope this helps. FYI, I still don't have my oven door issue resolved but a Wolf certified technicians is coming next week, to hopefully, resolve. What a nightmare as this has been going on for over 9 months to get things right.

Original Review: Thinking of buying a Wolf DF range? If you're looking for uneven grates where the majority of your pans will wobble (regardless of quality) then buy a Wolf. If you want extremely hot air pouring out onto your feet when standing at the range as the oven cycles through when in use then buy a Wolf. If you want the metal on the front of the apron to reach 90 degrees above the current ambient temperature then buy a Wolf. (80 degree day means metal can reach 170 degrees... That's extremely hot and it takes hours to cool down.) If you want hit and miss accurate oven temperatures then buy a Wolf.

In fairness, if you're looking for aesthetics and even baking (when heated accurately) then buy a Wolf. Looking for great customer service then buy a Wolf. I, myself, have spent too much time with their CS Department considering this is a highly rated (not to mention expensive) piece of equipment. These are the things that the salesperson may not know about or are not telling you.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

Beautiful device but broken too often considering the price. Two repairs this year, 4 so far. Our low end GE never broke. The last time the Wolf decided to die it was 5 weeks to get the part. Wolf has gone downhill. My non-technical thought too much high tech right above the oven. That heat must be tough on the circuit boards. They just need on-off broil or bake, temperature and then connection. No high tech. It’s just an oven. Simple doesn’t break. I would advise you to look elsewhere.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

Paid extra to have a Wolf oven. I've had it four months and the control panel needs replaced. "The Factory Knows About The Problem", but we can't use the oven without turning on and off the breaker. This company (SubZero) is over hyped, over priced, and has at best average products. Would never buy anything from them again. Have now been waiting for almost a month for the new control panel and they do not know when it will be in.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

Paid for Wolf double oven April 2019 at Ferguson’s in Jacksonville. Paid in full April 2019, and paid for pre install, appliances were delivered in May. After removing my oven (that still worked) installed Wolf double oven that didn’t work. A Wolf tech came out about a week later, said new oven needed a new Brian. Ordered the part, it came in a week later. The day of the oven repair I get a call saying the part is no good, Wolf won’t release the part. So they send another new oven a few weeks later. We are in July now, install second new oven, it doesn’t work. Same problem. Wolf overnights the new part to us, Wolf tech arrives August 9 and replaces the bad part on the new oven. I haven’t actually used the oven yet, but it looks like it works. I suggest you wait for a different model before buying. I have been without an oven for 3 1/2 months. Not a happy camper. Hopefully this one will work.

Original review: July 30, 2019

Just purchased our brand new Wolf double oven. Have not even used it yet. It started when I started to set the time. The touch panel would not respond or would jump to another setting. It became very frustrating as I tried to push the touch panel and nothing would happen. Just got off the phone with the service rep and was informed that the M series was having problems and they had an updated panel they would install for me and it would take up to three weeks to arrive. Why would they continue to sell a product that they knew was faulty. I’m trying to contact the dealer to have it taken out and pay the restocking charge and get another oven. My old 20 year old oven may not look as pretty but has worked right from the start, wish I had saw all the reviews before purchasing.

Original review: May 25, 2019

We have had the stove for 5 years. We have had a repair call once per year, and the repair calls are very expensive. Why? Because very few people provide maintenance and they charge what they want. Last time the charge was $200 bucks for the technician to show up. The repair parts can only be acquired from Wolf, and they really stick it to you. We have had problems with igniters, burners going out - the flame just drops back on its own. Now our broiler won't work. In short, we are absolutely disgusted with Wolf. Do yourself a favor and buy any other brand. I feel like such a dope for buying their appliance. Not recommended.

Original review: May 21, 2019

We remodeled our kitchen in 2015 and purchased a new Wolf from standard appliance. In the 3.5 years of normal use for a family of 4 this stove has had multiple problems. First, the front right burner will not stay on medium heat. If you try to put it on medium, it just falls back to low. If you turn it to high it stays but at lower settings it just falls back to the lowest position. If you hold your breath and twist your tongue just the right way, you can get it to stay at a medium temperature but it’s a pain.

Then there’s the oven. Sometimes it just clicks and clicks and doesn’t light, and you have to turn it off and on again and then it will light. The broiler always has trouble igniting but it does eventually light. Now the front left burner isn’t lighting without a lighter. The clicking sound that usually lights the burner sounds faint like it’s clicking in the oven instead of at the burner. This is supposed to be a professional grade piece of kitchen equipment? For $7k you’d expect a product that is more solid and durable. I guess Wolf is all about show and not about actual functionality. I would not recommend a Wolf product.

Original review: April 13, 2019

I remodelled my kitchen in 2015 and decided to go with Wolf appliances, I wish I hadn't! I used a Wolf certified installer which is necessary to receive the extra two year warranty of course the installer was twice as expensive than other installers. About three years in the downdraft to the stovetop stopped working and needed the main component replaced. I had to prove that I had the extended warranty because Wolf didn't want to cover the cost. The microwave which is installed on top of the oven stops working if I have the oven on too long so I need to have that seen to. The sub zero freezer stopped working last week and needs a new compressor which is covered but I have to wait a week for the tech. to come back. The toaster was replaced after one year but now the second one has stopped working. Wolf is expensive but honestly not worth the money.

Original review: March 18, 2019

High price. Definitely not high quality: I’m starting with my 36” built in Wolf oven. It turned on by itself with the front display showing off. Could smell something burning. The handle was so hot you couldn’t touch it. Had to turn main power off. Apparently a contactor was faulty causing it to turn on to full power. It did trip the Hi temperature safety. Parts were covered but would not cover the door which is badly scorched. Wolf induction 36” cooktop. 2- burners have errors E08. The other 3 give inconsistent heat. I can have boiling water 1 minute then nothing. After renovation to kitchen I switched to Wolf. I had Miele appliances for over 15 years with no problems. I should have stayed with what was working.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

I have a brand new Wolf Induction cooktop. The cooking aspect is SUPER! However, I need a flashlight to find the burner designated areas. The top is very “designer oriented” but it is very hard to see the burner designated areas without turning on all of the lights in the kitchen. If you are like most people, you do not fully lamp up to fry an egg!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I purchased a wall mounted oven, model SO36U/S. Used it rarely as it takes a very long time to heat up and it was just too big for everyday meals. Went to roast a prime rib and experienced a "relay stuck" error. Am told my oven went over 500 degrees and that caused the problem. Called customer service again, was told it's my problem as my oven is older than 5 years. Now I see all of the online reviews and realize buying Wolf products was a mistake. Am happy to say, I bought a $300 Breville Smart Convection counter oven and it is wonderful and can cook at high temperatures without failure! Even a prime rib. No need for Wolf and will never purchase again.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Wolf claims to be a USA company. We love our stove that we purchased 25+ years ago. BUT, we went to purchase a toaster oven, thinking they still manufactured in the USA, only to find out it was MADE IN CHINA. I, for one, refuse to give my hard earned capitalistic dollars to a communist company. Shame on Wolf for selling out. You have lost a faithful customer. You cannot tell me that you cannot manufacture in the USA. The toaster oven at William Sonoma was almost $600 dollars.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

The people who work for this company are the most disrespectful, rude, obnoxious people I have ever met. The $6,000 stove I received was in "refurbished" condition. I am so upset with the whole purchase.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I purchased a $12,000 Wolf dual range in a recent kitchen remodel. One of the worst mistakes of my life. The temperature control on the ovens is totally worthless, had too may repairmen out to try and fix. No luck. One day the temp is 250 degrees with 350 selected, another 425. I have never had problems with less expensive models in the past. Recipes I've used over my life in four different ovens, no longer work on this beautiful looking worthless piece of kitchen equipment. I thought I did due diligence in vetting this before I bought it, wrong. I should have gone with Viking or General Electric. Learn by my mistakes.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

Half the burners on the range stopped working within about a month - I need to use a match to light them because the electronic ignitor failed. No way to know the temp setting. So dumb - but the oven has no clear line or indent adjacent to the circular temp knob - it is just "approximate" when a temp # is at the roughly 12 o'clock position. Convection fan has no indication if it is on or off except a very quiet hum that is barely audible. The switch is pushed on but appears same when in on or off position and there is no indicator light or anything else. Dumb design. We have left convection running for hours at times since it is nearly impossible to tell when it's on.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I just burned two fingertips as I tried to move the pot next to the big front burner to make room for the large pot being brought to a boil on the large burner. The flame is so huge on the large burner that even with a 14" diameter pot the flames shoot out around it. This 5 burner stove has one huge burner- this is way too big. The next one in the front barely boils water. There is a medium burner in the back - but if you have a pot in front of it, you won't really fit more than a tiny saucepan on the back - and who really has so many burners going at one time? I hate this stove - never again will I buy something like this. I had the range top before and it was much better.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

I have a three year old USD1000 Plus wall mounted Wolf Microwave besides 60 inch Sub-Zero refrigerator systems, huge dual fuel oven System and a Steam Oven as well. Unfortunately for me, I did not any research before buying and renovating my kitchen. Since last one year Wolf Microwave is repaired four times from qualified technicians (once under warranty). Wishing weeks of repair, the product conks off. Last three times with twenty four hours power system shuts off itself within microwave. Technicians come and replace fuse, the PC board with no luck. I have used for years small countertop Microwaves. For more than 20 years nothing happens to them. I am disappointed with my all American built Microwave and the Manufacturer.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I was very excited to purchase #wolfdoubleovens when I received a letter from #jimbakke, President and CEO of #subzero, the parent company of #wolf welcoming me to the family and promising "high standards and a rewarding experience." My cousins raved about these ovens and the reviews I had read assured me of a smooth cooking experience and terrific product support, if necessary. What I found instead was a company unwilling to live up to its reputation, skirting responsibility and blaming others for its failures. My troubles began when I opened the crate and found a used product instead of new, out-of-the-box ovens promised by the dealer I found on eBay, #LQDLLC, who claimed to be the largest open-box Wolf dealer in the country.

Sadly, the ovens had sat in my garage for several months while I was renovating the house, and the window for returning the ovens had expired. So I contacted the fellow who sold me the ovens, #daniel**, who said the ovens came straight from #wolf and could not have been shipped in used condition. Not only were the ovens used, but they were full of stains, some of which had severely damaged the enamel and heating elements. So, I called the legendary #Wolfcustomersupport and spoke with #kent**, who couldn't have been more apologetic and promised to investigate and get back to me within 24-48 hours, which he did. What he had to say, though, was less encouraging than I had hoped to hear. He told me that because I purchased the ovens not from one of their certified dealers, they couldn't offer me any assistance, and that I should continue dealing with #LQDLLC.

So there I was caught in the middle with both parties blaming one another and I was left with a pair of ovens that looked like the inside of my wood-burning stove. So I called Wolf again to inquire if the ovens were still covered under warranty - they were indeed, as #kent** reluctantly acknowledged, and when I insisted that they be treated under the warranty, he acquiesced and sent a technician to take a look at them to see what could be replaced. When the technician arrived and confirmed that all interior panels and racks were damaged and needed to be replaced, he reported his findings to #Wolf. But my hopes were quickly dashed when #wolf refused to replace anything other than the bottom 2 panels that had suffered the most damage. To make matters worse, they were not even willing to pay for labor, which was estimated at $200.

So, after several attempts, I finally managed to get a hold of #daniel** of #LQDLLC and convinced him to pay for labor. Several days later, the panels were replaced but this #wolfexperience left me dejected and extremely dissatisfied. I was counting on #wolf and #subzero to have much greater control of their dealer network and to support their products and reputation much more vigorously. Just to contrast this experience with another top-tier brand, #bosch, whose induction cooktop I purchased from eBay and which arrived with broken glass.

Sadly, I also failed to notice the damage since the cooktop sat unopened in my garage for several months, alongside #wolfdoubleovens. When the damage was discovered and I contacted #bosch, they immediately sent a replacement glass and a technician to install it, no questions asked. They paid for everything, and gained my immediate support. #subzerowolf, on the other hand, failed to live up to expectations. And, now, when I'm in the market to replace my refrigerator, my choice will be simplified - #notsubzero. and #notanotherwolf product ever again.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

We've had our Wolf oven for a few months now. When operating, it has this horrible, loud hum that just won't stop until I turn the oven off. So the entire time something is baking, you have to endure loud humming. We've had the appliance maintenance man out several times, and he said the hum was "normal". He claims it is "the fans on low". Not sure what that means, but I have no choice but to deal with it. I can't return the unit. I have learned to just leave my kitchen, but I would recommend to all to avoid purchasing a Wolf oven.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Fan stopped working due to a bad installation probably. Wolf was AMAZING about it. Immediately replaced the oven with a completely new product totally free within 2 weeks flat. I recommend Wolf because they have amazing customer service and you can rest easy they stand by their products. Called some other companies and was told their companies never would have replaced the oven only repair. So glad I went with Subzero-Wolf!!!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

We have bought all Wolf/Sub-Zero appliances (fridge, wine fridge, 36" range, oven, microwave) for our second home in Napa Valley. installed in 2016. The Wolf microwave display has always been very dim, now cannot see the numbers at all! The repair tech came out today and said he would have to try to change out the display but I am not sure if this will fix the problem.

The Sub Zero fridge is a 30 inch unit with freezer drawers on the bottom. Drawer does not appear to seal when pushed shut, the last time we came back to this home after 3 weeks, all the food in the freezer was moldy and spoilt. According to the tech, it works fine, and one just has to be sure to push in. BTW the door alarm is very soft and does not seem to sound an alarm if the freezer drawer is open, only if the main fridge door is open. With the freezer at the bottom, the top shelf of the fridge is at around 5'10", so way too high for an average height female (I am 5'4"), only good for packed goods or veggies that would be easy to pull out.

The shelves are adjustable but with way they fit and poor design, you cannot even place a bottle of wine vertically in the main area. I have owned a 48" subzero (side by side) in our other home for around 18 years and have had no major issues, also all the food and shelves are quite accessible in both the fridge and freezer. I would not recommend this smaller 30" fridge due to poor design. It is not easy to find and schedule service calls for these high end appliances either.

Resolution response: Aug. 15, 2018

I posted a few days ago about the issues I had with the racks (36" Wolf Dual Fuel Range Oven) after self cleaning. I can now report that I contacted Wolf and after some discussion they will replace my racks. I also suggested that their brochure state that racks and rails will distort if not removed during self cleaning. Extremely happy with their customer service.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

We purchased a 36" Wolf Dual Fuel Range 2 years ago. Love the gas top. The electric oven is another story. I did not remove the racks and side rails the first time I had it on clean mode. The reason to remove them I read is because they would discolour. I had no issues with the discolouration so didn't bother. Now that I have further looked into this, the real reason is that they will distort!!! Which is exactly what happened. Now the racks do not move in and out smoothly and are hard to get in and out. The blue enamel is all chipped on the door because of the racks not being push in all the way. The third rack that is a full extension ball bearing does not go in at all and I can no longer use it. For the price of this stove, I would expect the racks and rails and the enamel to hold up better. Loved my Jenn-Air oven better than this one. So so, disappointed.

Original review: July 28, 2018

Within one month of receiving a new Wolf electric cooktop because first one had a fan problem, it looks terrible. I have an area on one of the burners that looks like the top layer has been removed. It is so difficult to clean, that I had to have my son try it. I spend at least 20 minutes every other day trying to get this thing clean. It's literally impossible to do it. That's why it gets such low ratings.

Original review: April 4, 2018

We have had Wolf/Subzero in a prior house so when we redid the kitchen in this house that's what I wanted. Our last house had a Wolf gas cooktop, double oven and Subzero fridge. We had no problems. This house was different. We have a Wolf Induction cooktop, Wolf Oven and microwave and Subzero fridge. Our major disappointment has been the Wolf Oven. It simply cannot maintain the selected temperature. The probe is off by 40 degrees F. My thermocouple meter is accurate to less than a degree by the way.

The first tech thought it was the probe. New problem same problem, so he thought it was insulation around the probe jack causing moisture to affect the reading. If that didn't do it it was the board. Tech was just here who knew nothing of prior issues and didn't have a new board so once again problem not solved. The company talks a lot about service but I'd like to see them actually provide some competent service for a change. On another front our Wolf down draft system doesn't work at all. It has an in-line motor in the basement. Do not buy this one. By the way our friends were over last night and they said their Thermador downdraft worked great. The light in our Subzero died and it takes an act of God to get that changed. What happened to swapping bulbs?

Original review: March 19, 2018

The problem with this 48" dual range/oven is when the oven is off. Bizarre. Once the oven is off, the outside of the oven, especially the control panel box, gets extremely hot. My thermometer registers it at 120 degrees, plus. When I spoke to Wolf, they kindly explained that this is fine with them. What? Then continued to tell me that they are within the industry and government standards, wherein these standards allow the temperature to reach 90 degrees above the ambient temperature of your home. Really!

So, the outside of my oven could reach 160 degrees, and this would be fine with them. I mentioned how dangerous this was, and, Sara, then regaled me with her own tales of being burned. Thanks, Wolf. I want this awful thing gone, three months old, and they informed me they would have to pay someone to pick it up, and then pay to have it scrapped, as it would be deemed used and defective. They thought my reimbursement could, I repeat could, be about half-price. So, I can only hope none of my grandchildren get burned. Stay away from a Wolf oven. I loved my old range, had it for years; but this monster is awful.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

In 40+ years of appliance ownership, we have never had a more temperamental and needy appliance than our Wolf Range, (48" dual fuel). Numerous problems haunt this expensive thing. I wish I had access to this type of information prior to purchase. If you are considering a Wolf appliance and choose to believe these reviews are merely a small percent of bad-luck stories, then best of luck to you. One of my Wolf breakdowns came two days before Thanksgiving. Since Wolf was unable to send a repair representative prior to the holiday, I called a local appliance repairman that had previously been a Wolf & Sub-Zero Authorized Repair Rep.

He arrived that evening, 8:30 p.m. and ran a few tests. He said condensation had fried the control panel and that Wolf was aware of the problem and had manufactured a retro-fit part which attempted to mitigate the steam problem. He did not have immediate access to these parts, and suggested I call Wolf for installation of the retro-part, and replacement of the fried-panels. Before he departed, he shared that he was building his own home, and that Wolf would be his last choice of Range for his kitchen. So simply ask your friendly appliance repairman if he would own a Wolf.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

Purchased the 36 inch Wolf Range because we thought it was the best in the world, finally arrived and the oven would shut off after we turned it on. Had it serviced under warranty and after the third time the repair guy came out because it still wasn't working properly. He told me he did all he can do. He basically replaced about 6 parts, still not working properly, so I had to call again, this time they sent out the supervisor, very nice guy by the way, he told me the other guy didn't line up the ignitor properly.

He ended up replacing three parts and he told me the ceramic pan was cracked in the bottom of the oven, so he had to replace that. One of the igniters on the top of the stove won't shut off, it keeps clicking like it's trying to light while it's already on. It goes on like this for 20 minutes or longer. So Many problems for such an expensive stove, and it's only a year old. Me and my wife have no confidence in this product or the company. So much for buying American Made garbage products.

Wolf Cooking Appliances Company Information