1.53/5
Based on 52 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: April 16, 2018

694 Whirlpool Ranges & Ovens Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 16, 2018

I bought my new ceramic top electric range/oven with convection, and the aqua-lift cleaning system in spring 2017. The aqualift cleaning function is a joke, so be prepared to be down on your hands and knees scrubbing. I'm careful, and I've not spilled anything yet, but the oven still gets splatters from roasting meats, etc. I'd hate to see what I'll have to deal with when I actually let something spill. Today, as I was down on my hands and knees trying to clean it, I noticed that the enamel is chipping off where the oven racks slide in. Great. I have never had an oven where the enamel came off, much less within a year. I am struggling with heart failure, and I am not up to fighting with Whirlpool.

Original review: April 14, 2018

The oven will not turn off. When I called Whirlpool and told them what had happened they immediately put me in contact with the safety division. My question is if it is a safety issue, why is there not a recall and why do I have to pay for the circuit board. If there is a safety issue why is there not a recall.

Get expert buying tips about Ranges, Ovens, and Stoves delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I am very very unhappy with Whirlpool gold series. We paid more thinking it was better and don't waste your money. I have had the whole package for 3 yrs and every one has broken down. First my dishwasher wasn't cleaning. I had to take the thing apart and clean all bars and still is not cleaning right. My ice maker quit working and then started leaking under fridge. I had to have the water intake valve replaced. And now my oven says it's at 350 and won't bake anything. I think the element has gone bad. This is complete junk. I should have known better and got LG.

Original review: March 29, 2018

I was so excited for this stove top and oven - Whirlpool Gold AccuBake (especially at the price we paid for it!). We've owned it for 13 years now, and in that 13 years, we have had to have the computer replaced 6 times now. The latest replacement being last week (Friday). The oven is still making clicking noises like the igniter wants to start and it is frustrating and annoying. It will do this for a 3-hour stretch numerous times throughout the day and night. Had a repairman here last week and he replaced the computer AGAIN! But the igniter clicking noise continues.

Original review: March 18, 2018

March 18, 2018. I was called today to inform me that the right front burner on my new stove Model # WEG745H0FS0 (ordered in early September and not delivered until mid-October from Menards) was not operating properly. The flame was noisy and yellow. I inspected it and found that the front burner base was substantially damaged by heat. See photo (Whirlpool stove part damage1). On inspection of the other front burner base, I discovered early signs of the same problem. (Note changes on burner base on the left of the photo.)

In this photo (Whirlpool stove part damage2.JPG), you can see the damage to the burner base and also see some changes on the 3 to 5 O’clock position on the burner base on the left of the photo. This stove is less than 6 months old. The fact that the burner parts can be melted indicate poor design and danger to the owner/operator of the stove. Further, the operator's manual for the stove I bought does not include any information on the model I have. It has pictures of the range top similar to mine but the model number is completely different. In addition to this, the "Aqua-Lift Technology" for cleaning the oven is completely ineffective. This is noted in several other "reviews" of this equipment. The problem noted by the other review became obvious the very first day I tried to use this range. A 2 cup pot spilled all over the cooktop as soon as I put it on the grate.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool?

Original review: March 16, 2018

There are plenty of reviews on this board already about how the so called "AquaLift technology" for oven cleaning is completely worthless so I won't repeat what they have already so eloquently described. "AquaLift" has managed to take us back in time to around 1947 or whenever it was before the old easy off oven cleaner was invented. I purchased the cleaning kit (affinity) as well but it doesn't do much of anything. The only people who might consider purchasing a stove with "AquaLift" are those who do no roasting or broiling of meat. The oven looks beautiful, so maybe it could be for those who enjoy a show kitchen and prefer takeout.

Original review: March 14, 2018

I bought a 3 burner glass hob under your built-in cooktop category (model no. AKCG 930-90 cm) in Nov. 2015 from Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu. In the month of April 2015 I started having problems with the medium burner. The problems was rectified on 29-4-2017 after some replacements that cost me Rs. 5000. After two months again the same problem occurred, the medium burner was not igniting again, I registered a complaint on 5-7-2017, the representative came and did some maintenance and left but the same problem resurfaced after a few days.

I was fed up of complaining and started using the burner during necessity by placing a weight on top of the knob. Finally on 15th Feb 2018 while I was using the stove the glass top cracked into pieces. My experience of the company's built-in cooktop is horrible and bitter. Every time I registered a complaint the representatives used to attend the complaint after 2 weeks and that too after so many phone calls. I am really dissatisfied with the service and quality of the product. I therefore strongly recommend customers not to buy this product.

Original review: March 12, 2018

Whirlpool Electric Convection Range - We purchased a Whirlpool fridge, range and microwave, I am finally sending my review after another of many frustrations with the AquaLift self cleaning oven. NEVER, NEVER buy one unless you love cleaning your oven. The temperature goes to 160 for 40 minutes, it does nothing to clean your oven. I called the co. we bought it from. The fellow said, "Oh you should clean your oven weekly," really there are 2 of us and I use the oven maybe 2-3 times a week without spillovers. When I do have spillovers I use the AquaLift waste of time, then have to spray it down with Affresh Spray the co. I bought the range from recommended, still have to scrub hard to remove built on spills. Save yourself the money and frustration. Buy anything but a range with AquaLift self cleaning.

Original review: March 1, 2018

Love love love my Whirlpool range!!! Regular bake and convection!!! Huge oven, beautiful glass top, and 2 burners that have double surfaces to fit huge pans! It has steam clean feature too!!! Incredible and amazing price!!!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

We had the Whirlpool electric range delivered yesterday. The clock light is too bright! Keeps the house lit all night! Do I really need to pay the cost of burning this? Additionally, it’s so annoying that we will not be keeping the range. If I needed a nightlight, I would buy one. Very poor design. The lights on the other appliances go out when not in use, one would think the range would have been designed to do so as well. I have NEVER had a problem with a stove light being too bright. This is ridiculous.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

Purchased this electric range Maytag model YMES8800FZ1 in September 2017. Thought it was just like my old range with self cleaning mode. Beware! Do Not buy this or anything with this new AquaLift self clean technology. That means you're down on your hands and knées, scrubbing. It doesn’t work. Read all the reviews about this new technology. Salesman never informed us. We innocently bought the range with self cleaning, paid lots of money, for crap! Very upset. Will spread the word for all future buyers, pay attention to the self clean mode on what you're buying, cause no one will tell you. Now trying to reach Maytag, but apparently they don’t care.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Whirlpool gas range convection oven - I have only had this range for 2 weeks. Manual is sketchy to say the least. Purchased from LOWE'S - salesman were not well-informed. I have had to do a chat to find out information. Range looks great but performs poorly. Takes a while to heat anything even on high and on large burners. Grates are too heavy. I am sorry I did not see the editor review before I purchased. I have not used the convection so I cannot speak to this but my choices were limited when I purchased and I did not want a convection oven and other ranges would not purposeful for my use.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Purchased from Home Depot and self-installed. That part was not too big a deal but after installing this stove we started a journey of irritation, aggravation and general dissatisfaction. This stove has the standard layout for burners that seem to be common to most low-end stoves. Two huge burners in the front, a "simmer burner" at the right rear and a general purpose burner at the left rear. That's all wrong for me and our set up. I want a large burner at the left rear and general purpose every place else. Can you alter the standard configuration? NO! Not without some major alterations to the stove top.

Next are the grills or cast cooktops (2 each). They are a bit cumbersome when cleaning the stove but doable. The real problem with the grills are Whirlpool decided to save money by skimping on this feature. The grills are not a stable cooking platform for smaller pans and it turns out Whirlpool recommends "square pans" for this stove. SAY WHAT? I have pans and skillets from my grandparents and they are ALL round. That's how that stuff is made. ROUND! The grill's design is unstable for any round pot, pan or skillet, if it's diameter, is 6" or less. Kiss that excellent saucepan goodbye if you have this stove. My current solution is a piece of light expanded steel over the burner areas.

Keeping in mind we use Propane as our heating gas. The adjustment of the flame temp on the four burners is non-existent. They all are either on high, medium or low. There seems to be no fine tuning with these burners. At the end of the day go look for something that is NOT a Whirlpool, LP gas range Model #: WFG515S0EW. You will be better served and less irritable with almost anything else. Even a campfire in the yard is a better choice.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

The AquaLift self clean is a joke! Doesn't clean at all! Has to be consumer fraud, calling it a self clean. I've owned electric self clean ranges for 40 years, that did great jobs. This does zip for cleaning! Unbelievable! Should be a rating below 1 star!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

Horrible stove. Bought online. Get set up and it's worst design ever. Have to lay down on floor to watch broiler. Can't even slide out. The stove top is difficult to clean. The cast iron grates are very heavy and have to move one side at a time. I Can't control low heat. Have to use back burner only. Then Crap builds up on back console. The oven grates are too wide apart, Have To supplement with racks from my other stove oven.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

Oh my goodness, are these people right with the Whirlpool Ranges. I moved and put in the appliance # to get what I had from Whirlpool. What a piece of crap I got in a range and refrigerator. Never had appliances that looked so pathetic. You cant clean the outsides or the insides. Outsides nothing but streaks never look shiny, I really do doubt they are even close to Stainless steel. My old ones I might add were less than 5 years old when we sold our house and all you had to do was spray with Windex and shine shine shine. Try that on the new ones streak streak streak, and nothing ticks me off more than looking in a kitchen and looks like pigs are running all over your stuff. Then the range aqua lift self clean. You have gotta be kidding. No self clean about it. Scrub Scrub Scrub by hand. You mean who in the hell came up with this. Make something with fat and instant burned mess.

Really oil and water or grease and water where I come from they never mixed, and all they do is get gummy. Now if you dont care how your oven or outsides look then I guess it doesnt matter BUT I DO, I am with the guy that said he just wants to throw it out. I would have been better off buying a clean your own. At least you could use oven cleaner. I dont know where these companies are coming from ripping people off this bad, now that I am older I am stuck with it and can hardly clean it to get down in there.

You make supper and you have to spend 2 hours extra in the kitchen scrubbing the damn thing. Of course you give a company loyalty and get screwed this bad. All my self cleaning ovens I had when we sold houses the people thought you never cooked in them. This is not even a year and a half old and looks like it is 10 years old. Even scrubbing it is a joke. You cant get it all anyway. I'm sure I will not live with this long. I use to love to cook even did it for a living and man using this thing I hate cooking more than ever.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

Whirlpool 5.3 Cu Ft self clean Electric Range: Got crack on glass surface within 5 months after purchase, and contacted Whirlpool Customer service. They are rejecting the repair saying they won't fix the glass surface crack, as it won't come under their warranty. As a consumer where will I go for getting it fixed under warranty.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

I bought this Whirlpool freestanding LP gas range Model #: WFG515S0EW 1/4/18, I had only seen one in a store, but it was not hooked up so you could see how it cooked. Nor where there pots available so you could see how they would work on the grates. This has 2 'power burners' which even on low, are still as high as a normal stove would be on medium, both of these are on the front of stove top. There is only one simmer burner, on the back right corner of cooktop. And one burner that I am guessing is a medium size power burner.

This stove has 2 grates of cast iron, and the one on the left overlocks the one on the right. To clean this cooktop, you have to remove both of those to get to it. These grates are not so you can center your 1 qt pot on it, it just has a cross across the burner itself, and the pots wobble, accident waiting to happen. The pot wobbles and could easily tip over and seriously injure someone. The handles on my pots get hot enough to burn your fingers. Even a pot kept on simmer will be too hot from the flames from the other burners.

When you are cooking, the flames on the power burners is above the sides of my Revere Ware 1 qt pan, and comes right at edge of the 1.5 qt. even the soup pot is barely big enough to protect you from flames. I cannot believe that anyone would design something so poorly to begin with. In reading the instruction book, it says that pans with square sides work best? So not only am I out almost 800 dollars for this stove, I am supposed to go buy more pans now? I would have given this minus stars but that was not an option.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

Ran Aqualift self cleaning cycle 4 times at 40 minutes and only bottom was cleaned, sides are still spotted and the rear wall still shows a heavy spotting. My stove is less than a year old. My prior stove with self clean at a higher heat was great, when done only had to wipe out!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

This oven/range (W10665261B) has a cleaning feature that DOES NOT WORK! Do not buy unless you want to hand scrub the oven without any cleaning products. No one at the company cares. I will discard the oven.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

I have had this product now for 1.5 years and am very dissatisfied with it. Whirlpool calls their oven an "Aqua Lift Self Clean", which is terribly misleading. There is nothing self-cleaning about it, except that the person who needs to clean it is me (myself)! I cannot use oven cleaners on it, because that will void my warranty, so the only way to clean it is to scrub, scrub, scrub, down on my hands and knees, which I haven't had to do for many a year. My second issue is with the glass stovetop. I have had many glass tops before and have never, never had such trouble cleaning it. Every time I use the stovetop I need to scrub and polish vehemently to clean it. And thirdly, the dials fail very quickly, and to replace them costs me $50.00 a pop! In just 1.5 years two dials have failed. This is just unacceptable, and I say shame on Whirlpool, and shame on the company that sold it to me. I will never, ever purchase another Whirlpool appliance again.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

I replaced my 12 year old Whirlpool double ovens with the current Whirlpool double ovens. The new 30" built in double ovens have been re-designed to vent the heat below the lower oven. The ovens come with a part that pushes the heat down instead of straight out. My built in ovens have a cabinet drawer below and after using the ovens just 4 times over the holidays I noticed the heat is damaging the finish.

According to Whirlpool's service center I should have checked on that before buying/installing. They told me to stop using my ovens, that this is a fire hazard, but they are not responsible. They do not have a solution to this problem. This is a poor design on their part. There is a disclaimer in their installation booklet that came packed with the ovens that the installer gave me. It says the cabinets need to be able to withstand the heat of the ovens. The cabinets can handle the heat of the ovens, just not the hot air venting directly onto the cabinets below the oven. Where does one find cabinets that can withstand 400 degree heat being pushed directly onto them? As a customer I did not have that information until after the ovens were installed and it was too late to purchase another brand.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

My husband ordered a Downdraft Range Hood Model #UXD8636DYSwhich was picked up on approximately 10/3/17. My home was under renovation at that time and when the contractor attempted to install the unit in early December, it was discovered that it was defective. Fields Appliance was subsequently called in to do the warranty work and ordered the necessary screws on two occasions, but both times were sent the wrong part. Upon ordering the parts for the THIRD TIME, they have now been informed that the screws are on indefinite backorder. I contacted Whirlpool directly to request a replacement unit, as not only are they unable to find the correct screws, but when the motor was replaced on the very first visit, they were unable to replace the motor cover because the motor size had changed, so even if the screws are found, the motor will not be properly covered, which will likely lead to more problems in the future.

After speaking with four levels of customer service at Whirlpool, they still refused to replace my unit and insist that they need another six business days to try to find the correct parts. This is absolutely unacceptable, as my BRAND NEW APPLIANCE is defective and I have been unable to use it for a month already. This company refuses to stand behind their product and I am disgusted with trying to get them to make this right.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2017

I have a Whirlpool oven and dishwasher and have had nothing but problems with them both since day one! Our oven went out Christmas and couldn't get service on it and we were entertaining for Christmas. DON'T EVER BUY A WHIRLPOOL PRODUCT!!! If you do you have no one to blame but yourself.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

Whirlpool Double wall-mounted Oven model#WOD51EC7AW05. Have had nothing but problems (at least 7 problems). The 1st one is a potential fire hazard. Porcelain/enamel shattered on bottom interior panel of BOTH ovens in less than 60 days (exposing underlying metal to rust). Cracked in an odd stress-pattern that indicates the metal expanded during heating, and the porcelain finish did not tolerate the expansion. The lower oven had only been used 2X before I noticed the fracture pattern. Obviously faulty design; a manufacturer's defect. Whirlpool claims it is "cosmetic damage" and when porcelain eventually flakes off, they will send me touch-up paint. (If I dent the outside of an appliance with my wheelchair, that's cosmetic damage. It's a manufacturer's defect if the damage happens during normal operation. The appliance damaged itself, not the user.)

The preheat function does not work on either oven. The oven indicates it is 350-degrees, when it is actually 125-degrees. Repairman says this is normal; ignore the indicator and navigate by store-bought thermometers”. The temperature can vary 50 degrees on either side of the actual setting (that's a 100 degree range!). Between the faulty preheat and the wide range in temperature, it makes it very hard to bake bread or cake.

The rest are annoying problems: The timer is a single “beep” (not even very loud), followed by another single beep every minute. This is not much help if you are folding laundry while the cookies bake. The windows have so many dots on them they're not clear enough to see how the food is cooking (or read the store-bought thermometers) without opening the doors. The oven produces a lot of steam that fogs up the windows (I've never had this happen, and I'm past the half century point). The exhaust fan is loud and it blows hot air into the drawer under the oven (another potential fire hazard). Don't buy this oven. It has several design flaws and Whirlpool does not stand behind their product.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I purchased a new Whirlpool stainless steel smooth top range model #WEE745H0FS and it was installed the day before Thanksgiving, 11/22/17. The oven door handle was broken on inside by installers. I called Whirlpool warranty on 11/24/17 and requested a repair. A repairman came the following week two days late. He said he needed to order a part. After calling the “Whirlpool approved” repair shop multiple times over the next two weeks, I was told the part was backordered.

Finally, yesterday, 12/13/17 the repairman showed up an hour later than appt. time. He took the oven door apart again and the new part didn’t fit my oven door. He had carelessly ordered the wrong part. I was told he’d put a rush on the correct part and that it would be here 12/18/17. I will never buy another appliance from Kelley Appliance in Augusta GA nor another Whirlpool product. I have had to use duct tape on my brand NEW oven just to use the oven so it doesn’t fall apart when opening.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

These products (Dishwasher, refrigerator, cooktop, and wall ovens) are less than 5 years old and everyone of is in of repair. The cooktop and wall ovens the repair on them would equal the price of a new one. I feel that the products should last more just a few years and also their warranties. This tells me they do not stand by quality of their products.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

We purchased a Whirlpool double oven. Will not hold temp for even an hour to bake. Have to preheat 30 minutes to be ready to use. Sensor built right under top element. Signals ready in few minutes! Not! Have had it replaced once, don't cook that often so was not aware how bad it was. Will never buy another Whirlpool product! Have used only them over 50 years! So disappointed.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Just bought a Whirlpool stove (WFE540H0ES) from Home Depot. Oven gave off so much heat around the handle that I burned myself opening the door... Tech came out said it wasn't supposed to do that. Called into Whirlpool to get clearance for a replacement and corporate says no to the replacement because that is normal. That's BS! If that is normal DON"T BUY A WHIRLPOOL!! BTW... They are owned by Maytag.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I love my Whirlpool LP Gas Range. Cooks great and bakes wonderful stuff. Also has a drawer under to hold pots and pans. Self Cleaning Oven. I do a lot of baking and I cook three meals a day. The burners are easy to clean off on top. I try and wipe spills up in the oven as much as possible, It has everything on it that I love, except it could have a plug in which would really nice.

Whirlpool expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Whirlpool is one of the oldest names for home appliances in the U.S., with a company history stretching back to 1911. It currently sells more than $15 billion of home appliances and other products in more than 170 countries around the world.

• Kitchen stylist tools: Whirlpool's kitchen styling tools make it easy for buyers to pre-visualize how given models for cooking appliances will appear in their kitchen design.

• Extensive heating technology: Whirlpool offers one of the industry's most extensive selections of appliances equipped with advanced heating technology like convection and induction heating.

• Flexible appliance pairing: Whirlpool maintains multiple product lines that can be easily mixed-and-matched with other products to maintain consistent usability and design.

• Easy support: Whirlpool offers extensive resources online for customers who need to schedule warranty support or find information about replacement parts, even for discontinued models.

• Standalone cook tops: Whirlpool's collection of standalone cooktops is one of the largest in the industry.

• Best for: Users cooking for one, users cooking for families and users cooking for businesses.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs