Save on Appliance Repairs

Save on Appliance Repairs

With the Best Home Warranty

Compare Quotes

730 Whirlpool Ranges & Ovens Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 10, 2019

Whirlpool sent out a repairman to fix my range. I had it for 3 years, and one day I was baking cookies in the lower range and boiling water for pasta on the top left burner. There was a very loud pop, a bright flash in the glass top where the back left burner is, then there was no power to the range or oven at all. No clock display, burners would not work, oven would not work, nothing. As if it were unplugged. Of course, my warranty was about to expire in approximately 6 days (go figure) so I called the customer service line for repair. After 2 hours of back and forth with 3 different people, I finally had a technician coming out 4 days later. He shows up, takes about 35 minutes to get the glass top off, then says to me that he needs to order a part for it. This will take a few days. Ugh. Fine. 3 days later, part comes in. Same guy comes back out, fixes it. Ok.

Up and running fine for about a year and 2 months. Then... POP! It happens again. Same scenario, different menu. (I was cooking breakfast). Now, warranty has run out and I have a $1,300 piece of scrap metal sitting in my kitchen. Worthless. My old KitchenAid stove was great. Had that thing for 13 years. Never a problem outside of replacing a $68 heating element one time. I paid $450 for that range. Tossed it out for this bells and whistles newer stainless steel glass top range/double oven. Regretting that tremendously. Whirlpool will be on my do-not-buy list for any appliance from now on. Didn’t even last 5 years. Oh did I mention the service call cost me $85? Yeah... Garbage!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I purchase a suite of Whirlpool Kitchen Appliances April 2017. My range is the slide in model. The knobs are on the front of the stove top. I 4 months in I saw that the paint behind the plastic panel where the knobs are was chipping. Also, the gasket in the oven had some loose threads so I finally decided to call the warranty. Whirlpool paid for the gasket to be replaced but Customer service said the chipping was cosmetic and that only covered for 30 days. I am so disappointed in this range and Whirlpool. My stove looks very used after 10 months. I followed the instructions on what to clean it with and how to clean so I know it's not me. The paint chipping is crazy! How as consumers do we deal with this? This Range was a cost over $2000! and they give me touch-up paint!

I purchased Whirlpool because I researched prior to purchasing my appliances. I thought I was buying Quality, this is not quality! At Christmas I had a pot of potatoes boil over and the element circle on the glass top cam off with cleaning. This too is not covered because it's cosmetic. Ironically, my old glass top Whirlpool range did the same thing. That why I got a new one! I guess it still works. Who cares how it looks... RIGHT? Well, I WAS a good Whirlpool customer. Not anymore! Do not purchase Whirlpool glass top ranges unless you want it to look worn out after less than one year. I have tried to post pictures but this won't let me paste them!

Get expert buying tips about Ranges, Ovens, and Stoves delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

Why are the Whirlpool appliances so badly made that they are not fit for normal use? Are they buying substandard parts? Do ConsumerAffairs advocate for more robust, long lasting products, particularly with current sustainability concerns for the world? Having to buy a new motherboard and burners, cups and knobs after a couple of years of normal, careful use, is unacceptable, surely? The motherboard, burners and fitting charge is almost half the cost of a new appliance (gas range). Is this acceptable?

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

We’ve had problems with our fridge where after we had it for about 2 months a crack formed on the inside, the repairman came and put a piece of tape, tape on a new fridge I wasn’t happy. Then we had our stove for about a month and the front right element went it was replaced but to this day it works when it wants to and I brought this to the repairman's attention when he came to replace an element in the oven and he didn’t even offer to take a look at it. We called Whirlpool on the 27th of December to get service on the oven and was told nobody could get here until the 2nd of January. This ruined New Year's Eve Plans, New Year's Day Plans and our turkey which should have taken a max 5 hours on Christmas Day took 11 hours putting our dinner off until 8:00 pm.

We purchased the extended warranty ($700.00) to protect us from high bills for repair and this oven issue ended up costing us about $800.00 for meals out. I asked at the time of my call if there was some kind of rebate to cover our meals and the inconvenience over the holidays and they told me no, that’s pretty bad for such a huge company. Our dishwasher which is also Whirlpool hasn’t worked since day one, we had a repairman out and all he said was, "run your hot water before you use it and use Cascade," it’s no longer under warranty and there’s pieces falling off and I have to wash my dishes before I put them through the dishwasher so what’s the use of having one. We purchased all Whirlpool because of the reputation but we'll never buy Whirlpool again or recommend them.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

Steam cleaning DOES NOT work! I have complained to Home Depot and Whirlpool since my purchase 9/2018. They sent 2 different repair men and both times I was told there was nothing they can do. I got one phone call from Whirlpool (Maytag) and they sent me a cleaner (wish is just for the stovetop). No other return emails or calls have been acknowledged. My stove looks like it hasn't been cleaned EVER! I was also told to use "elbow grease". I am so disgusted and at my wit's end. Any suggestions, besides court?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool?

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

We purchased an electric range model WFE371LVQ O in June 2010. This range is only used during the winter months in our vacation home. In January 2016 the oven turned on by itself. The control panel was replace. It happened again on 1/25/19. IT IS A FIRE HAZARD!! Thankfully we were home both times. The only way we got it to turn off was to flip the circuit breaker. If this would have happened when we weren't home and a fire started and it killed our dogs I have no idea what I would do. I'm not even attempting to have the control panel replaced again. We'll be buying another brand. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS TO ANYONE. The company must have known about the issue because when we called the first time it happened, which was several years PAST the warranty period, they didn't hesitate to do the repair free of charge.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Purchased on 7/9/18, was alerted of gas leak on 11/24/18, gas company had shut off gas to the unit. After finally getting through to their customer service in December, they scheduled an inspection with a local repair company they contract. It is now January 15, 2019 and I still have not had any resolve to this. Whirlpool is washing their hands of any responsibility, and doing nothing to help find a solution for a defective burned out piece in their oven, which the repair tech said he’s only seen in units over 10 years old. I do not feel confident or safe about this range. I bought this new from Best Buy, 4.5 months of having this in my home, after 1 oven use this happens.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Initially felt the burners and oven took a LONG time to heat up, but just accepted it. After a year and a half, the motherboard died. The part alone was almost $400 and labor $100. The self clean does not work very well. Glass top is very hard to clean. It has a large oven space and looks nice, but would avoid Whirlpool at all costs following this experience.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I bought a 5 burner Whirlpool range that I really like except the danger of knobs turning on too easily and releasing gas. You just have to brush up against them lightly and they turn. 3 times my nephew has come into a gas smelling kitchen. Whirlpool sent repairman out. He said they operate properly. Really?? What to do?? Does someone have to die?

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Brought a five burner Whirlpool range on June 9, 2018. On Christmas Eve the door fell off and I had a house of 20 guest. Couldn’t cook at all, and cook Christmas either. Call them immediately on December 26, 2018. They set up a schedule for the following week on Monday. The man showed up. Could not believe how this could happen is that he had ordered me a whole new. Dealer said it will be back on Thursday or Friday that week. The serviceman still hasn’t called and it’s Friday. Called the serviceman no answer so here I go another week or two with no oven. The oven door fell when I opened it to take food out and fell in my legs. Have a nice black and blue. Maybe I should think of suing them instead of getting it fixed.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

New stainless steel range 5.3 cu.ft. with convection oven delivered by Home Depot on time. Before the day was over the trim around oven glass was falling off. Double sided sticky tape was not holding. Yes it's put on using double sided sticky tape. Called Home Depot, once you accept it, you deal with Whirlpool. They must first send someone to look and see. Yes it's falling apart. Service tech will order new door. Mind you it will also have the sticky tape. We have also noticed that the glass top has many deep scratches, he will replace that also. A week later still no word, when. Used the oven because I couldn't wait and as it heated up smoke poured out of it and a loud noise from inside. Turned off and pulled out bottom drawer to unplug. Bottom panel had fallen down and undersides were rusted. Only had the stove 3 weeks and it's Christmas Eve. Will read reviews first next time. No problems with my other Whirlpool appliances.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

We bought a Whirlpool Range gas stainless steel five burners on top. We haven’t had it a year and the paint is chipping off of it. It’s starting to rust now. I know stainless steel ovens. You have to clean them specifically with certain chemicals which I do so there should be no reason why it’s rusting and the paint coming off of it. Hasn’t even been a year yet since we bought it.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I have a gas range Model WFG540HOESO Airlift self clean. When anyone reaches across or leans against the range, ever so slightly, the knobs turn and gas is released. It is EXTREMELY dangerous. The Airlift self clean has never worked. When the repairman contacted the technicians at Whirlpool, they told him that there was nothing they could do. In other words, I am stuck with an oven that will not self clean. The water in the bottom does not even come to a boil.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

Oven was just about 3 years old when the oven bake feature failed the first of many times! Display says fault detected. Was able to get oven cleaning done and then it worked again but eventually has failed repeatedly since. Further reading and support from technicians has revealed it's an oven control issue and replacement part is same cost as new oven! Apparently the oven control Whirlpool designed and installed can't handle heat!?? Very unreliable and would never buy their appliances again!

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

The electric Whirlpool double oven range seemed like a good choice for a single person. I bought it in 2016 around the same time I had some personal setbacks. After finding my emotional equilibrium I decided to return to my much loved baking. While I have no other complaints on this range the ovens are a problem for baking. The digital oven temperature readout doesn't reflect temperature fluctuations in the ovens. Once you enter your desired baking temp the readout never changes even after you open and close the oven door say to take out cookies.

Given some of my poor results I suspect even when I'm not opening and closing the oven door the temperature is not maintained. I was going to get an oven thermometer but the user manual says it won't reflect an accurate temperature due to way the elements cycle to provide a consistent temperature. Ha! If you want to bake this is not the range for you. My inconsistent results and too often wasted ingredients frustrate me no end.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Bought a Whirlpool Gas Range model WFG530S0ES0 in Nov 2015. Eleven months into owning it the oven wouldn't heat up. Turns out the motherboard and wiring harness needed replaced. Since it was within a year of purchase, parts and labor were covered. Dec 2018 the same darn thing happened. I called Whirlpool and they basically said, "Tough luck, lady". Was I surprised, not in the least. I talked to a supervisor who said that they don't have a single complaint on their Gas Ranges. Did I believe that, not in the least. Whirlpool finally agreed to pay for the parts but not the labor. Whirlpool supervisor said that equipment failure occurs. I said there's a difference between reasonable equipment failure and unreasonable equipment failure. For a 3 year old Whirlpool gas range to failure twice, with the same problem, is unreasonable failure. The supervisor said in such a pleasant voice, "Basically too bad for you. Oh and have a Merry Christmas."

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

Bought a built in oven August 30, 2018. Oven stopped heating two weeks before Thanksgiving. Repairman "fixed" it. It is not working again, two weeks later. Bought from Best Buy. They will not take it back. Whirlpool will not replace it. UGH!!! $ 1,600 down the drain. Will no one help?

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

We purchased our oven new in a package deal with the rest of our kitchen appliances four years ago. The bottom heating element in the oven has already stopped working. Every oven I have seen in my life has lasted a minimum of 15 years, and most 20. All I can say is DO NOT BUY WHIRLPOOL APPLIANCES! In the past 4 years, we've had the repair technician work on the Whirlpool refrigerator (once), dishwasher (3 times), and microwave (3 times). Now, the stove isn't working correctly, making this a total of 8 home visits by the Whirlpool repairman. Whirlpool is manufacturing trash for the landfill now, not quality lasting appliances.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

Whirlpool® Gold® 5.8CuFt Capacity | GAS Stainless - This was not an inexpensive stove. The self cleaning oven function is a total failure. You are not supposed to use oven cleaner on the glass, it now has obscured the view into the oven. The top of the stove is very difficult or impossible to clean. The knobs are a dangerous issue. They will fall off at the slightest touch and the stainless markers around the knob are just a stick on label. The oven temperature is not accurate. The bottom drawer is completely rust spots on the inside. What more can I say. Oh I know. Whirlpool your quality is a disgrace and I want a refund.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

It just doesn't work at all. Spills are still there after running it three or four times back to back. Called Whirlpool. They could care less. What is really sad that the appliance store Sargent Appliance in MI stores know of the problem and don't want to help anyone.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I recently renovated my kitchen and was so excited to have a new range. Loved the looks of this one so I bought it. I’ve had it a little over a year now, and am so disappointed. The “stainless” trim around the knob area is peeling and the AquaLift self-clean DOES NOT WORK! After the AquaLift cycle, there was a watery mess in the bottom of the oven which was difficult to clean up. It would have been better if I had cleaned it the conventional way. I’m not sure what to do at this point. The area where the trim peeled off looks awful and is very noticeable. Take my advice and do not buy!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

We bought a Whirlpool range. The same day we got it the burner exploded and my electricity went off. I called the customer service to request a replace, they told me a technician had to go and look at it. They did. I had to miss a day of work as they come between 9 to 5 pm (will not tell you what time). The guy say the range is defective (really!??) and will need to request parts. I called them again (after 15 times you wait minimum 30 min each time). They told me they can replace the parts. I said I bought a new appliance not an use one. Money back. Told me somebody will contact me. Week later nobody contact me and still waiting 30 min each time. I called nobody answer my calls. I wonder I may get somebody if I wait hours? No idea. Please do not buy from this guys... They are bad in all the way.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

Our whirlpool gas range has a defect - the material around the control panel is peeling and flaking; it is not possible to clean it and it is likely going to get into our food. It has not been cleaned with anything harsh - I use warm soapy water or stainless steel cleaner. I use the same thing on my other appliances and they look fine. I am waiting for a tech to come and look at it but after reading other complaints I fear that they are going to say it is cosmetic and it is not covered. Sadly, we can no longer wipe the control panel if it is dirty because the "stainless steel" is flaking off and it gets all over the burners and I am concerned it will get into our food. I am willing to bet the paint that is flaking off is not approved for consumption.

I wish I had our old Frigidaire Gallery Series range back. I regret replacing it. Whirlpool was not helpful. They told me to contact the place I purchased it. The place I purchased it said it is a manufacturer's defect. Someone suggested painting it with stainless steel colored spray paint which sounds like it is going to look awful. The new panel is $148 but it will need to be installed and if there is a defect how often will I have to replace it? I am very disappointed.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

The trim on the front the my Whirlpool electric range has rubbed off. This is where the knobs for the "burners" are located. It was replaced once during the Whirlpool 1 year warranty (so it obviously happened with the first year!) and again during the second year we have had it. We have an extended warranty but have been told that it is not covered. It is ecstatically unacceptable. We have not used any type of harsh cleansers on it - simply a sponge to remove any spills yet it keeps on disappearing. I strongly recommend against buying any range from Whirlpool as it is quite obvious that they do not stand behind their products beyond the first year.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I purchased Whirlpool Slide-In 30" Gas SS Conventional Range. Terrible product quality. After about three years of use, the range shows an error message "cooling fan is too low". I wasn't able to use the oven. Abt Services came in to do the repair. One month after the cooling fan was installed, the same message came up again. When Abt Services replaced the cooling fan again, the display was completely out. The cost of the repair parts is over $800. Are you kidding me! I paid $1500 for the range. Now I need to pay $800 to repair. Whirlpool didn't offer any discount for repairing the defective product but offered purchase similar product at a discount price. I will never ever pay a dime for Whirlpool product. It is a nightmare using the product. I learned my lesson. No Whirlpool product again in our house.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

I bought a dual oven Whirlpool 2 years back. This range keeps breaking knobs that are such a poor quality. I have bought knobs from Whirlpool 7 times already then got PSEG home service and they are tired with the quality itself. Save your money and buy another make! Poor customer service and the worst experience is what I have gained on buying this make. Have old mother at home and this headache only created more issues to help her with cooking.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

4 year old gas range, used self clean mode yesterday, for first time, upon completion opened oven door, not very clean and found 1/2 moon shaped raised crack in center of oven floor. Customer service insisting repair tech must come at cost of $60.00 to determine cause. I believe this is manufacturing defect, that they are not willing to admit. Offered big discount on new range. NO MORE WHIRLPOOL FOR ME!!!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I purchased Whirlpool gas range with AquaLift Self Cleaning Tech exactly a year ago. DOES NOT WORK!!! The only Self that cleans will be you on your hands and knees. Still don't know what to use. Manual says do not use oven cleaner or abrasive or you void the warranty. Ok Whirlpool any suggestions? Soap and mild detergent not cutting it. You would think with all the customers complaining about this feature the bright engineers that designed this would come up with a solution.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

I purchased this rather expensive gas range and use the oven very little. We are empty nesters that eat out every day. Went to use oven and it had error code for cooling fan. Called repairman who replaced sensor and oven worked (literally used two times in 4 months). Now error code again. When I checked the code I realized this is a problem with these stoves. Whirlpool why no recall or free fix?

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

Purchased a gas stove June 10th, three days later smelled gas. Called the store where I purchased item, they gave Whirlpool 800#. They set an appointment 2 weeks out. Got part then burners only clicked. They ordered more parts. Now top range works. Started to use oven and got extremely hot. Called store. They referred back to Whirlpool. After hour and half they scheduled appointment. First appointment he didn't have tools to check temperature. Rescheduled for following week. He said oven was off 30 degrees. I then went to store to ask to return item. They said up to Whirlpool. On phone with Whirlpool over two hours, them switching from one department to another. No help. They insist on fixing again tearing up unit in my new wood floors. Don't buy anything from them.

Whirlpool expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Whirlpool is one of the oldest names for home appliances in the U.S., with a company history stretching back to 1911. It currently sells more than $15 billion of home appliances and other products in more than 170 countries around the world.

• Kitchen stylist tools: Whirlpool's kitchen styling tools make it easy for buyers to pre-visualize how given models for cooking appliances will appear in their kitchen design.

• Extensive heating technology: Whirlpool offers one of the industry's most extensive selections of appliances equipped with advanced heating technology like convection and induction heating.

• Flexible appliance pairing: Whirlpool maintains multiple product lines that can be easily mixed-and-matched with other products to maintain consistent usability and design.

• Easy support: Whirlpool offers extensive resources online for customers who need to schedule warranty support or find information about replacement parts, even for discontinued models.

• Standalone cook tops: Whirlpool's collection of standalone cooktops is one of the largest in the industry.

• Best for: Users cooking for one, users cooking for families and users cooking for businesses.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs