3.9/5 (153 ratings)

About Viking Ranges

Viking is a luxury appliance manufacturer that offers high-performance ranges, refrigerators, dishwashers and more. Its ranges are available in a variety of burner configurations, sizes and fuel types. Customers see the widest variety of options with Viking gas ranges or dual-fuel models. Viking electric ranges or induction ranges have fewer size or configuration options, but these models are still feature-rich and can be customized by color.

Pros

• Luxury designs and materials
  • Customizable
  • Long-lasting
  • Promotional offers and rebates

Cons

• Limited pricing transparency
  • Expensive

Bottom Line

Viking is a U.S.-based luxury appliance manufacturer. It sells ranges in different sizes, burner configurations and fuel types. Its products can be expensive, but they’re designed to last.

Top Viking Ranges Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Viking?

Verified

Viking Range is a good range and we haven't had any issues with it. It looks commercial grade but for residential. I like the quality and it cooks well. Also, their representative...

Verified

I’ve called Viking Range several times for various questions since we bought a house with a Viking built in refrigerator… Hope from customer service and Stuart from the service si...

What are Viking ranges?

Whether you’re shopping for a range or a warming drawer, Viking products are known for their reliability, functionality, professional quality and attractive designs. It offers appliances for indoor and outdoor kitchens and has many colors and styles to choose from.

Here are the types of cooking products you can expect to find at your local dealer or showroom:

• Freestanding ranges
  • Rangetops
  • Stovetops
  • Ovens
  • Microwaves
  • Warming drawers

How long do Viking ranges last?

Your Viking range’s life expectancy is heavily influenced by how often the stove is used and how well it’s cleaned and maintained. As a general rule, most ranges last from 10 to 20 years. Gas ranges have an average life expectancy of 15 years, while electric ranges typically last for 13 years. Viking strives to be at the higher end of that scale, and it designs its ranges to compare with professional appliances known to last as long as 40 years.

Viking offers a two-year limited warranty on its products. This warranty covers workmanship or material defects and is valid from your date of purchase. Products can be returned for an exchange within 10 days of purchase, or you can return your range for repairs if you experience issues.

Viking range prices

Viking ranges typically start at around $4,000, but its larger and more luxurious models can cost more than $20,000. Its cooktops range from $1,500 to $8,000, and wall ovens generally cost around $6,000 to $14,000.

The price of any appliance depends on its size, number of burners, fuel type and the dealer’s pricing. You can request a quote online or visit one of its local dealers to get pricing on the model you’re interested in. Viking also offers a variety of promotional offers.

Viking FAQ

Who owns Viking ranges?
Viking is owned by the Middleby Corporation, which is based out of Illinois.
Who manufactures Viking appliances?
Viking manufactures its appliances from one of its four manufacturing plants in Mississippi. The company works to attract tourism to its headquarters city in Greenwood, Mississippi.
Is Viking an American company?
Viking is a U.S. company. It’s based in Greenwood, Mississippi, and is involved with the local community.
How do you start a Viking stovetop?
To light the surface burner, push and turn the knob for that burner. For more details on how to operate your Viking stovetop, consult the user manual for your model.

Are Viking appliances good?

Viking is known for designing and manufacturing high-quality, professional-grade kitchen appliances. Its products have luxurious styles and materials, so these ranges are more expensive than your typical stovetop. Pricing isn’t available online, but customers can receive quotes online or with a local Viking dealer.

Viking Ranges Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Viking Ranges?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Viking?

Original review: March 20, 2022

I have a friend who remodeled their kitchen five years ago, and they have Viking and the kitchen looks so chic and had clean lines. I went with a six-burner and a full range. The home that we purchased, we seriously upgraded the kitchen and there was a cooktop and a double-stack range which is not my style. I was raised with a one range and I liked the versatility that Viking provided with the 5 Series range that we have. I looked at others and it's just the right size. The six pilots is perfect because there's more room to cook. The space in the conventional oven is large enough, both the top and the bottom, to heat up the turkey and also the casserole and the dressing at the same time. I have the Viking hood and the switch of the light that illuminates the oven range needs to be adjusted because the light blinks on and off. But so far, everything is great. I'm very pleased.

I have the whole set - the microwave drawer which is very sleek, the dishwasher, and the refrigerator. But we had a Samsung which had more space in it than we do in the Viking. That's the only complaint. We're pleased with it. I compared it to other brands. And for what I was willing to pay, Viking fell right in the middle. It wasn't too much for me because, where we live and the upgrades that we've done to the home and the overall increase in value, I thought that the appliances should reflect the neighborhood. It's one of those things wherein that is a fixture that adds value to the house. Kitchens and bathrooms sell a home. And to walk into a kitchen, especially ours, from how it was when we purchased it, to have so many nice upgrades and one of the top of the line appliances, it added instant value to our home. That was the other reason why the whole package was worth it.

Get buying tips about Ranges, Ovens, and Stoves delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 18, 2022

We had a lot of small hiccups because of COVID and because of the supply chain issues. Initially, we purchased our Viking stove through Best Buy. But it kept getting pushed out and I wanted to get our kitchen up and running. So, I ended up finding a floor model out of Stockton, that had the piece in stock. It had some scratches on it but they were very minor and they guaranteed a six-month warranty. They delivered it and got it in service.

The Viking is simple to use and there's not a lot of electronics on it which is nice compared to Thermador and other high-end brands. I went with the one with an open range and even though it's rated at 15,000 BTUs, it's probably more because it's open. You're getting the airflow better, so it's actually heating it up better. So far, I love it. It's easy to start. The one thing I dislike is if you take off any of the igniters to clean, they get a little bit on the porcelain and I have to readjust them in order for the igniters to ignite sometime.

The other issue I've had is that it has to kick on numerous times to get the igniter to ignite. So, every once in a while, it'd have a little gas smell. I talked with the retailer that I bought it from about it, and they were gonna fix that. But my father-in-law who's familiar with Viking stove, he’s like, “Yeah. I’ll show you. It’s just this.” We ended up just moving the igniter a little bit. And then it took off, and no questions asked. Also, I'm not sure if the convection part is working properly because it makes a little rattle from time to time. Otherwise, the Viking has been reliable.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2022

The Viking appliances are made to last. Between this refrigerator and my old refrigerator, for some reason, the things wouldn't last as long as they do in this Viking. The different departments and the bins in the refrigerator makes it so you can put things in different temperatures. That’s a heaven-sent. When you're a chef or you like to cook, you need things right there. You don't need to be running around the kitchen. With all those different drawers, I got the vegetables in one thing and I even have wine in one of the compartments. So, it's an excellent piece of equipment. It makes cooking easier. My favorite feature of the range is the simmer. But I like the one on the right-hand side in the front because I like to cook things and get the heat high on it. You could cut up two chicken breast that might be cold and put it in there, and it would get nice and hot where it would start to brown. In a normal stove, that would not happen.

If I had to do it again, I’m definitely going to be using Viking. When you want something to last and you want to pay the money for a good appliances and good equipment, Viking’s the best. When you spend the extra dollars for something, it changes your life. I was cooking on just an electric stove top and I only had four burners. So, to go from that electric stove top to my Viking, it's like getting a brand new Mercedes Benz. I can't believe how easy it is for me to cook things such as baked potatoes and big rib roast. I've cooked them all. Viking is expensive but you're paying for the quality of it. If you want the best, you got to pay a little extra, and it’s well worth it.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2021

The quality of Viking is very good. The stovetop and the oven get hot really quickly. I wish it was a little bigger but that was a decision we made and I didn't realize that it would feel as small as it is. But, it doesn't have any fancy electronics and that's a bit hard to get used to at first. We also used to have a griddle but it's okay. We have a better functioning stove or oven and it's definitely an improvement from what we had last.

However, I'm having some trouble. When the Viking arrived, it took some time to get it installed because our kitchen was under renovation. It was more than a month. We got a range, and with it, we also got a dishwasher and that came dented. When we called, the reps were like, “Why didn’t you open it right away?” And we're like, “We were told that it was going to be a very, very long wait because of COVID. And so we ordered it in April, knowing we were renovating in June.” The company that we bought it through was very nice, and they ended up working with us on it. So it turned out to not be a problem. But they came to replace the dented door of the dishwasher and they brought another dented door. So then we waited again. It took a long time to get it all settled.

On the oven, the light shows that it's preheating or that it's on. Sometimes, we can hear the gas lighting. Also, there have been numerous times where I come back to look at my potatoes and the oven has been off the whole time and this happens a lot. But it’s not like it was smelling gas in the house. So we’re starting to be able to piece together that there’s something that’s not right. It has happened at least seven times where I'll start the oven, it will be hot, I'll put my food in, I'll go back, and then the whole meal is ruined because it's not hot anymore. But it's on 400.

Original review: June 17, 2021

We liked the functionality of the Viking Ranges, the induction on one side, gas and griddle. When I was getting my range, it was quick because it was on the floor and they wanted to get it out as soon as possible. So through TA Appliances, I got it within a week or so. Then I had an appliance guy who came in, installed a power cord, and put it in for me. We use our stove quite a bit and in terms of functionality, it’s very good. But I ran into one problem that is currently being looked into. The ignition of my backburner is not coming on and not lighting that well.

I called the TA Appliance guy who I got the range from and he set things up so that I was called by whoever the service team is here close to me. They were okay but some better communication as to what the problem was in the process would have been appreciated. I had to call a few times to really understand what the holdup was on getting parts. They said that they couldn't get parts over right away, but that wasn't communicated well.

Other than that, my Viking range is fantastic. There are two ovens and there's a small oven on the right side. It would have been nice to get a second rack in there since we often have multiple things in there because of the conduction. There are three positions you can put the racks in but I couldn't find one. There's none on the website or anywhere you can buy one. It'd be nice to grab some of those kind of accessories. But I managed to get a bamboo cutting board cover for the griddle and that worked out nicely.

Viking Ranges response

Dear Shakti,

Our aim is to be here to iron out any/all wrinkles, our customer support team will be here for you. Thank You for your smooth transition into Viking.

Sincerely,

Viking Customer Care

Original review: May 5, 2022

When I first purchased my first Viking built in double ovens more than 12 years ago, I was so excited. Over the last 12 years, the computer board failed after four years (2700.00)...the first time...and failed again about 2 years ago...so we were left with just one of the double ovens working. Instead of having it repaired (again), we decided to upgrade since we were remodeling our entire house. So last May 2021 we purchased the new 30" Electric Double French-Door Oven for around 11,000.00. Of course, Covid caused everything to be delayed.

First we were told the company that painted the ovens went under and so Viking had to find another company that could match the paint. So that is understandable. We were told the ovens would be delivered December of 2021...so we waited. We asked for delivery in January of 2022 and we were then told, the ovens would not be available until December of 2022...What? We were willing to wait some but not that long...(Cafe makes great ovens now with cameras on the inside and fully smart with wifi hookup...and if you are a baker like me...that is a wonderful asset to have). But I do like Viking and we were notified that we were now second on the list and the ovens would be delivered in April 2022...and they were. They were installed and upon turning them on...we received a message, "F03." So neither oven worked...

Viking wanted to send out a serviceman to fix the problem...Why would new 11,000.00 ovens need service on day one? NOPE...We want them replaced. So now we are told the ovens may be available in September of 2022...Well Cafe is looking really good and much cheaper...especially since I have all of their other wifi enabled appliances. One other thing...we noticed that the French doors were crooked...The installer said that is because the box Viking is housed in was not completely square? Could that be another flaw?

We will try to wait until September...however, if the ovens come like the last one...I will be sending it back and not purchasing Viking anymore. It seems that standards have diminished to the degree that the cost may not be worth the risk in purchasing Viking anymore. But I will wait until September to see if this was a fluke or this is the new trademark of the Viking Corporation.

Original review: May 3, 2022

Everything was broken on the Viking range when I got it. The door wouldn't close, the hinge was broken, the oven wouldn't get up to temperature, the burners wouldn't light, and the fan in the back was running like crazy. But they made good on it. They sent a really smart guy here many times. Other companies don't send repair people that know what they're doing but Viking did. It's a nice level of customer service I felt and the range is working great now.

Original review: April 28, 2022

We moved into a new home that was fully outfitted with Viking appliances. I've always thought of Viking as top of the line, amazing. It looks pretty, but our dishwasher, our fridge, every appliance I can name has issues. So, I'm not happy with it. I've had them come twice to repair things, and both times, they're back to being the same. My fridge has no drawers for vegetables because they keep coming off the track. So, I just took them out. So, I have a $10,000 refrigerator with no drawers.

That is my frustration now. They're very hard to get ahold of. I have the warranty, I filled out all the paperwork online. The ones we have are the top-of-the-line Viking. My stove and fridge are both $8,000 to $10,000 apiece. My dishwasher is nice. The only thing that works is the range, and the microwave is good. Other than that, nothing else is good. Do your research and go with another one of their competitors.

Original review: April 27, 2022

The installation of the range was done by my plumber and it seemed like they had no problem doing it. So, in general, it was a great experience prior to actual usage. Everything was straightforward. But I've had a lot of issues with my Viking fridge that I purchased and the range. I hear this big pop when the range would get to a certain temperature and when I turn it back below the temperature, it would make that pop again. It was like a piece that was loose. So, I called the warranty provider. They showed up and did some work to fix it and everything works. But I still hear a little bit of noise. The guy said that’s how it is. It's like this one plate in the bottom of it inside the oven should be attached differently and the guy said that he has seen this a couple of times. They did some patchwork. So, I'm still not thrilled by it but it's not as egregious as it was the last time.

The other thing that I'm not thrilled about with the Viking range is there's a little ledge where the stovetop is and it's stainless steel but it's already scratched, and we've only had it for five months. So, that was a bit frustrating as well. Some of the parts for the fridge that needed to get replaced took a while to come in. But that's just the nature of the world we live in right now. So, in general, everything was just okay.

Original review: April 26, 2022

It took months for the range to get delivered. I was called by the people that I purchased it from to see if I still wanted it. Then, when it came, it proved to be another challenge. I was told that there's a tendency for the front panel to heat up. A neighbor has a Viking and that doesn't happen to his so after a few service calls, I just left it at that and nobody was open to exchanging it. I'm getting used to it but I'm not really pleased. It's been a little touch-and-go with the range and more so with the service provider. There've been a lot of hiccups along the way.

Viking Ranges Company Information