toll free

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Viking Ranges

Thank you so much for sharing your great Viking experience. We are so happy to hear that you love your range.

Original review: April 16, 2017

I wanted a superior product and Viking Range was ranked the highest. It is excellent. The heat is easily controllable which is by far the most important feature for me. For instance, I have a Wolf at my secondary house and its a complete piece of garbage compared to the one that I have at my house. It is far superior compared to other brands. Dealt with the Viking dealer post-purchase because I had to have the whole Viking Range replaced. It seemed like a big project but it wasn't. It was very well done.

The Viking Range makes me feel like a Master Chef... In 30 years and many gas ranges, this is the best range we have ever had. We had a minor service problem with our grill and gas broiler which was immediately taken care of without charge. The service department was by far the best I've dealt with in my experiences with other companies. We are going to be moving soon and I will get another Viking - The Best Gas Range Ever!!!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The installers didn't convert my unit from natural gas to propane. And that caused a lot of problems for us and the oven. The oven produced a lot of soot on the backsplash and that led to me calling about it. And then they discovered that it hasn’t been converted the right way. Though Viking did not install it, they ended up replacing the unit. Since then, it's been just fine. My builder was involved in the negotiations to get a new one. I don't know how Viking responded to that request but I got a new one and I didn't pay for it. And before it came into my house, it has been converted. We like it, and it seems to be working. I'm relatively pleased with the product itself.

From the beginning, the marker decals have been wearing off my oven and cooktop. Viking said they were "screened" on whatever that means. Now I have virtually not markers left on my oven temperatures. How could a company like Viking produce Mickey Mouse markings?

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was looking at Thermador, Viking, and Wolf, and read reviews on all of these. But aesthetically, I liked Viking better in the price that I was looking for. I love it. I like the burners, the handles, the very large oven, as well as the top and bottom trays that move on the inside. I have the 36-inch, with a six-burner and the size is great. I went from cooking on electric to liquid propane, so it's a little different. It took me a bit of time to get used to the timing for the oven, but now that I do, I like it because it cooks so much quicker on the stovetop.

The oven is a little bit slower, but it seems to make the heat evenly dispersed, so it cooks much better salmon, chicken, and quiche. Any issue that I had, Viking resolved immediately. They were honest, efficient, very responsive to any calls, and had great customer service. They were really good to work with, and the installers did a great job. I couldn't be happier.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was choosing between a Wolf or a Viking and at that time, Viking was having a rebate so I went with them. I like that it was made in America and have the stickers on it but the quality is horrible. On Thanksgiving day, it caught on fire. The conduction oven doesn't work and the regulator for the gas has had to be adjusted three times. The product is a total lemon.

I'm working with the supplier who says he's working on my behalf with Viking and I am going to go to every review site I can find and post if they don't do something to remedy this $5,000 stove that I invested in. Prior to when I first built my house, I bought good appliances and I was hoping that this Viking would be even better and this would be the last range that I would have to purchase, being of the quality. But every time I bake, it rattles the vent or fan but they've tried taping it.

My husband and I are so disappointed. We made this decision together. I cook all the time and it doesn't even completely work. It caught on fire because they didn't connect it to the gas thing properly. It wasn't a plumber's fault. They didn't make the stove correctly so I am upset. It's documented through the repair person including the type of visits. I even had a plumber come and look at it separately from the repair person. Even the repair person said Viking is not very good at standing by their equipment once we get it. And that's from the person who's selling it in his store. Unfortunately, I'm all the way in Hawaii so I realize they don't want to pay shipping.

I had a KitchenAid prior to this and I didn't want an electronic motherboard. That was another big decision maker, 'cause it's very humid in Hawaii. In Vikng, the knobs are on the front so I felt it's a better investment 'cause in the long run the motherboards breakdown. Also, they've had to move the range in and out and it's gotten scratched, not because of anything I've done. The racks are now uneven inside of it because the repair guy has had to take them in and out so many times. My husband's tried fixing it himself but the only thing thing that works properly are the burners on the top and that's it. Everything else is wrong. I've had to call Viking when it first caught on fire. It's still under warranty but it is only good for so far. And in the first three months, this thing has had four repairs and that's not right. They should try to work with me and replace it. But there's been no contact and no accountability.

Viking Ranges

Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that you are enjoying your range. You are correct in that some of our models do not have timers. Viking does it best to give customer's all the features up front either thru our dealership or our online website so that they can choose a unit that best suites their needs.

Original review: April 19, 2017

I have known Viking Ranges for a long time but I never used it. It's high-end, and if you have a Viking in the house, it's a good sales point to have. This time, I wanted the best of the best and for the purpose of investment so I bought one. However, the range is not the best as I expected but I'm 80% happy about it. It doesn't have timers and setting like all the electronic-oriented, high-tech ranges have these days. It's very simple. Basically, turn the knob on or off. I like it, but more than that, it will help me. I don't have a particularly good eye, and I cannot see if it's on or not, so I have to get used to it by feeling the knob. That's all to it for this range. If you need the fancy features, don't get this one because it doesn't have any. But it does the job right, very straightforward and no frills.

I originally purchased this at the local distributor on August 2016. It took three months to deliver through ocean freight because we live in Hawaii. On the day they delivered, the two delivery guys came and unloaded it from the truck. We live two levels up so they had to walk up the stairs. They start to complain about how far up it goes. It is a heavy unit at 400 pounds, so I understood. But at the same time, they said, "Oh, there are two dents, one on the front, one on the side." I decided to take it because I thought it could be replaceable parts. But halfway through, two out of the six knobs came off. So, I refused the delivery.

The store handled it okay. They gave me the refund which took a while then they're going to replace the same item order. I made sure this time that the delivery guys did a good job, and they did. The range had no damage cosmetically and the knobs were intact. It's all in good shape. But that's not the end of the story. It finally arrived in the kitchen. But the delivery guys are trucking company people. So, I didn't request for the installation. The power cord needed to be hooked up to the unit because it's electric, which I can do. I had the manual, and I was going to follow that. So, I started to open the back-side door to install the cable, but I noticed that it's not the same as the picture in the manual. I called Viking and they sent one of the local repair companies to check it. It was the manufacturer's mistake to mount the parts completely the wrong way.

The repairman was professional, so he dismantled the whole power cable inside the unit, which I have no way to do. They fixed it and Viking was good about it. I didn't have to pay for that. But there's one other problem. The range is square and there are four legs. But the product they delivered had only three. They sent me the leg but on a different day. I'm not that young anymore and I cannot move a 400-pound range by myself, lift it up and then install the legs. It's very dangerous and it's not easy. So, I called Viking again and they understood the situation. They asked me to contact the same people who installed the cable but they said they will not come to install one leg. I said, "The job was not completed." But they never got back to me--very rude voice and he sounded crazy. I'm a customer. Why do I have to be accused like that?

So, I called back Viking. I wanted somebody else to get sent over. I know it's small job but it's impossible to install it, and I was ready to pay for it. A very nice guy came over and did a five-minute work. He knew what to do. He installed it and I didn't have to pay for it. The range is working and doesn't have a problem. Viking is a great name and has good quality but getting it in the kitchen was just terrible. I understand Viking made a mistake and they handled this situation generously. But the experience of the whole purchase was a disaster. If I have a choice again, I'm not going to buy Viking again ever. This is the last.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Viking?

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had a Whirlpool gas range before but I've been hearing for years that Viking Ranges were top-of-the-line. I like to cook and I had a portrait of me sitting on a Viking range done several years ago. I said to the artist that someday, I'm going to have a Viking range and now I have one. I had the one with six burners on top and it's wonderful. Also, the quality is pretty phenomenal. I didn't mind my Whirlpool range but it does not compare. I love my Viking range.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We wanted an induction stove, I saw a Viking range in one of the stores I was browsing and I noticed it had a special broiler on it. We know about Viking since it's a good range. So that's what brought us to our selection. I missed some appliance that's why I bought the stove at a Viking dealer and their team was excellent. I like the quality of my Viking range, it's great and my favorite feature would be the broiler. However, I had to adjust my cooking method because I'm used to baking chicken at a high temperature and then the chicken would splatter up in the top of the broiler. And then I turned the oven on again and the broiler would smoke the house out. But, I have that under control now.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We have had Viking Ranges since they pretty much came out. We are on our third Viking Range. When we remodeled our house, my husband wanted to get me something high quality because I’m a baker and I cook a lot. So we’ve researched and that's what came up. I like the way the Viking Range looks. We also renovate houses since the 80's and we always put a Viking Range in there. We flip higher end houses and people wanted Viking look or Wolf. We bought one Wolf and I hated the Wolf. I was like, "Forget it. I don’t have to buy another Wolf." We've bought plenty of Viking Ranges.

The first one I had was a gas range and I loved it. And then we traded that for a dual fuel electric oven which I hated. The oven was much smaller and I couldn't fit all my baking pans. I couldn't even fit a turkey in it. I was really disappointed in that. It also started arching, spitting and shooting flames out the vent and the top. We'd called Viking to find out if there was any root cause. And they said not that they are aware of. So we ended up going through our insurance company in getting a new one. I got the Dual Fuel Viking Range. It's the four-burner. They did change the oven so it's much bigger. I've baked four cakes already with it and it's only been a month. I wish they would have had one on the floor so I could have looked at it. But most people aren't caring them because they're so expensive.

The people that I talked to at Viking have been very nice. But I wish we could have gotten more information about the other one that had started the fire. They didn't seem very interested and we still have that oven. They weren't also going to take the oven so we figured we just hang on to it and see. We're thinking of making an outside kitchen and just tearing the oven apart and turning it into an outside stove. They also have people who came to hook a Viking Range up but hooked up the electric cord wrong. So then we didn't have an oven for a week 'cause it wouldn't work. Somebody came to fix it. They replaced the cord and took it right one on and that works great.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I just got my oven from Viking a couple of weeks ago and the rebates were bigger than Wolf. But, I realize it doesn't have a clock which isn't a big deal. I've cooked two meals on it so far and it's a great oven.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I have an electric oven from Viking Ranges and it works okay. They had somebody who was very good at installing it. The only thing is we have a little problem with taking one of the racks out in the oven. We have no problem with the others and we can pull them out all the way. We have a problem with holding one of them and we thought maybe we're doing something wrong. If I can't figure it out, I'm going to call somebody to look at it because I have insurance on it.

But other than that, I like it. I like that I can go off to the other side on the top and that I could move from one area to another easily. I like that it's apple red because I don't like the stainless steel which is so hard to clean. I also like the way the knobs are covered from the top and its size. I like everything about it. My friend also has a Viking and she only has broil and regular bake on it. I like the simpler one but mine has all these other options that I'm working on how to figure it out. I recommend it and I already had to a friend because of my experience in New Hampshire.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I've known about Viking Ranges for years, and always thought that they were a good range. I really like it and I wish I had room for a bigger one.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

A friend of mine in North Carolina had a small Viking in her kitchen and I liked the way that Viking Ranges look and I wanted something that was a step above what's in a regular big-box store. However, it rattles so I had Midwest Appliance Repair come out for it. It was still under warranty so they had the fan fixed but I never called them back for them to fix it again, so now it's out of warranty and having to put a new fan in there would cost around $300. Also, it wasn't cooking evenly on the front right burner. So when Midwest was out here, they told me that there were two missing silicon bumpers that were supposed to be on the grates to hold it way up from the flames to the proper height. I asked them to order me a whole set for all three grates so I can replace them if I lose one, but the guy called me back and told me that it was $28 a piece so I will just go down and find something else at Lowe's that will do the trick.

The parts are pricey especially given how much the cost of the range was. Other than that, my friends call it diamond mill because it's fancy and I'm happy with it. I love the quality in terms of the weight of the piece and the way it cooks that food. I also love that roll-out rack on ball bearings and the freezer doesn't dry things out and there's never a freezer burn. Overall, it's the kind of stove that if I ever move, it will go with me.

Viking Ranges

Thank you for sharing. We are sorry to hear of the issues with the missing parts but we are happy to heat that thru our warranty procedures we were able to get this taken care of quickly for you.

Original review: April 6, 2017

Had missing/incomplete parts. I contacted Viking Inside Sales and Roxanne ** (GREAT customer service rep.) took care of my issues along with Larry **, Rick ** and Rhonda **. Parts arrived in great shape. Well packed. Completely satisfied. Thanks to all involved.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I see a lot of apartments with the Viking Ranges in them in New York City and I believed that I could have one too. They are a high-end brand but not the most expensive with the model that we purchased. Interactions with the dealer were very good and that company was very easy to deal with. However, our Viking stopped functioning shortly after we bought it. The oven didn't switch and although we kept on trying to get it to spark, it would not ignite. Viking sent someone from the service provider to come and take a look. There were some wiring problems. Someone came up, opened up the "computer" of the range, rewired on site and fixed the ignition problem. That was taken care of quickly. Since it was fixed, I've had no problems. I've had it for about three months now and it's been an acceptable experience.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My husband Robert has always wanted a Viking Range so we bought one from Best Buy. The dealer was nice and helpful. We’ve had it for a month and I use it every day. It’s powerful and the BTU is better so the food cooks faster. The quality is good and my neighbor even went and put an order in an instant. You get what you pay for.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had a lot of trouble with my Viking range. When I turned the convection, it was so loud that I would never use it. But I've not had a convection option before, so I didn't know that what I had wasn’t how it should be. And because it was way too hot, I called to have it calibrated, and the man who came out was outstanding. He tested the temperature, turned on the convection and said, "That shouldn't sound like that." So he took it off and ordered the part. But the first time they ordered it, the wrong part came in. They called me that day and told me that he had checked it and it wasn't the right part, then they ordered the new one and they were wonderful. After it was fixed, I baked a cake and I loved it.

We also bought another non-Viking appliance from Specialty Appliance in Colorado, where we bought our Viking range, and that had trouble, too. First we tried to have it fixed ourselves, and then I remembered that the salesman of Specialty Appliance had said, "If anything is wrong, call us." So, I called them and they jumped all over getting somebody here and getting it fixed. And as for my range I love how it looks and how easy it is to take the grids off the top and clean it. I also love the gas cooktop with the electric oven. I'm very happy with Viking.

Viking Ranges

Thank you for letting us know how we can improve. Your feed back is greatly appreciated.

Original review: April 4, 2017

My stove had a manufacturing defect and failed to work properly from the outset. The oven would not hold a temperature and could not be calibrated. It took weeks and many, many phone calls and threats to get it repaired. After many requests and escalation to Viking customer relations, Viking finally agreed to send the necessary part by overnight mail. However, they did not make good on this promise. The part did not arrive for another week. We were exceedingly unhappy with the initial defect and with the very poor customer service. We are long-time Viking customers and would think hard before buying another Viking stove.

Oven was purchased 2013, we had to move out of the house for a year after purchasing the range. Now Viking tells us we need a new motherboard to the tune of $657.00. Really? We can buy a different stove for that much. The oven goes on broil no matter what you set the oven on and the circulating fan runs even when the oven is off. Very disappointed in this "quality" product. Viking tells us the warranty has expired, just not right!

Viking Ranges

Viking is truly sorry to hear of the issues you are having. We have consulted with our engineers and your should be able to run the burners on high at the same time. We will have a customer escalations representative contact you shortly to get all of your information and see how we can best assist you.

Original review: April 3, 2017

Although this cooktop is very good-looking the positives stop there. It's great if you don't actually cook. We purchased the 4-burner induction as we had had a good experience with a lesser-priced brand so thought this would be even better based on the very high price. The two major problems are: 1. You cannot run the two right or the two left burners on high at the same time. 2. The temperature control dial runs from simmer to high but really if I put it below medium I may as well just turn it off. Medium is basically "simmer".

I contacted the vendor and they sent out the regional sales person. He was very nice and politely told me it was very sensitive, I wasn't used to it and I should live with it for a while. I did that but I was never satisfied. I called him again and sent him videos showing how the problems continued. He did finally get back with me but the answer was that "yes" I was indeed correct. He had checked with the engineers and you couldn't have the two left or right burners on high at the same time (nothing in any literature about this) and that he too tried out the temperature settings and had the same results that I did. Sadly, he said there was nothing to be done to help either situation. So, I have an expensive, good-looking cooktop that's great if I only need to use two burners and dials that have a medium, medium-high and high setting. I should have stuck with the lesser expensive brand I had previously.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We had dinner with my sister and brother-in-law who have a Viking range. I got to cook on the range and I liked it. We saw an ad for the closeout on the stove at a local appliance dealer. We got the last Viking appliance that they had there. The range was sold to me at $1000 on the list. It’s a great cooking appliance and I love the heat control on it.

Viking Ranges

Thank you for letting us know how much you are enjoying your range. We do appreciate you letting us know about your interaction with the dealer so that we look into this further.

Original review: April 2, 2017

I had heard about the Viking range at the culinary school, and I got one because I really liked its performance. I've had my Viking range since November and it's really good. I like the open burner and that it has the two ovens, and I love to work with the griddle. But it was actually pretty rough with the team at the Viking dealer where I purchased it. I bought it from the website and they dropped it off, but they didn't install it, and it was here lying in my kitchen without the feet for a few weeks. I was going back and forth with them on the phone, asking them to come and install it because it's a heavy range and I couldn't install it myself or with my husband. I remember that I was preparing this huge dinner for Thanksgiving with my family and we just ended up going to my in-laws' house.

Finally, they installed my range in the first week of December, almost four weeks after it was delivered. Despite that bad experience with the delivery, however, I will surely recommend Viking. The experience I had with my Viking range was amazing. Everybody said they're very impressed with my range, and I love it. I love to cook and bake in it.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I have a thing for color and I have a lot of red in my house. I couldn’t decide if I wanted a range in cobalt blue or red. So I was searching the internet and I saw the deal that Viking was offering a free dishwasher if I bought the oven. It took me a while to decide on it if I was gonna buy from a dealer in New York and I wouldn’t have had to pay tax. But I wasn’t comfortable with that so I bought it from a dealer in Miami, which is where I live. I bought it in red and that’s cost me considerably more. They gave me the dishwasher but I bought the red panel which I had to pay for and I bought a Viking convection microwave which is not in color. It’s stainless.

The first time I used the oven, I was really uncertain as to how quickly it cooks. So I called Viking and spoke to one of the representatives who happened to be a chef and I told her I was making lamb chops and she told me what to do. Now I have a little bit of difficulty in removing the shelves and lowering them ‘cause the pull-out shelves are in an obviously different way than regular ovens. I cooked the lamb chops a little too long so while they still came out great, I overdid them so I have to be a little careful in learning exactly how long I can put something in the oven or the broiler. And I’ve never cooked with infrared and it is fast.

The range, when it turns on, it’s so fast and it boils water so quickly. The only problem I did have initially was that the broiler can that came with it was a piece of junk. It looks like it came from a $500 oven. I read the user’s instructions and it said, “Use no chemicals at all." I bought special cloth in Sweden to clean it. But the pan, the first time I used it, the surface started to come off.

So they sent me a new one and the new one looks exactly like the oven rack which is what should have come with it in the first place. And it’s wonderful. However, I found this tiny little beige mark, like a perfectly cylindrical little round mark no bigger than the zero on the keyboard and I didn’t know what it was so they sent a Viking representative out and he found two of them on each side and they said they’re supposed to be there. So other than that, I don’t have any complaints. I love the Viking Range. I didn’t want to pay the extra money but I bought the sealed range set because that’s what I was used to and it was considerably more to buy it that way but it’s easy to clean. If you bought the open range, things can go underneath. And I’m not the neatest cook in the world.

So all together, it cost me about $5,600. I love the dishwasher, too. It has a light in it and when it’s on, it’s so quiet you can’t hear it and the light shines red on my floor. The only thing is it’s a little smaller than I’m used to but it’s still very nice. And the microwave, it’s microwave and convection. So you can cook in it. But I have to learn how to do that because convection cooks very fast. But I love the way it looks. Also, anybody that I have had to deal with at Viking has been very polite, pleasant and always got back to me and got me that wonderful correct broiler pan right away. I don’t always use everything I buy but I like to buy and I like high-end stuff. And this is one of the few things I’ve never had a complaint about except the broiler pan which was the wrong one. So Viking is super wonderful.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I've been using Viking Ranges for years. On delivery, the range that I received from them wasn't so good. It was not only scratched, but there were missing parts on it. I reached out to Customer Service and they responded promptly. They were knowledgeable and courteous, scheduled time with me, and then showed up on time. The repair done was excellent. Since my range has been working, I've liked everything about it and it's been good. However, the vice president in charge of customer relations told me that we get the one-year extension on my warranty. I haven't seen anything from him to show that, and I'd appreciate it if I'd get an email or something that I could hold and print.

Viking Ranges

We are truly sorry to hear of the issues you are having on your unit. I see where you have been in contact with one of our supervisors and they are working to resolve your issues with a local authorized servicer.

Original review: March 31, 2017

I have had a Viking gas oven that has had the same recurring issue since it was brand new, 3 1/2 years ago. The oven heats up but then fails to reignite, causing the oven to lose temperature. Viking service providers have put band-aids on this issue 3 times, the latest 4 months ago. These have helped for a short period of time, but eventually have all failed. When I called Viking today to let them know that the issue is happening again, neither Viking (nor the service provider) would stand behind the product or the work that was done to fix it. The customer care department told me that I would need to pay for the service, and then Viking would decide whether or not it was a quality issue. They would not escalate the issue to a supervisor, claiming that there was no such person. I am writing the review here in the effort to get some resolution.

I purchased a 6 burner range with a grill in the middle. The center started to sag. I called the authorized service person in my area and he said he had installed a kit to fix the problem that Viking provided but that it wouldn't be free because my unit was no longer under warranty. He said the center grill wasn't properly supported so over time it sagged with heat or pressure. I complained to Viking because this was a defect they knew about. First excuse: they said they couldn't help because my unit wasn't properly registered even though the matching fridge was. I provided proof of purchase (original receipt) so they registered my unit. Second excuse: there was no kit ever produced perhaps because so few people complained. I said a manufacturing defect is a defect. They should fix it even if only one complained. I mentioned the repairman had fixed the problem for others and gave them his contact info. They said they would follow up but never did.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I’ve known about Viking Ranges for a long time and our architect wanted us to buy a Viking Range so we went with them. The quality of our Viking range is good and I like that it’s easy to clean. I’m not crazy about it due to the fact that all the burners are the same and they get the same amount of gas. There are other stoves out there wherein the different burners have the different BTUs. That would have been better if I’ve been given a choice.

Viking Ranges

Thank you for your review. Viking has several ways for servicers and customer's both to contact us. We do us email in the parts department for servicers who prefer to email their orders in instead of calling them in on the phone. But we do have a dedicated parts department that both consumers and servicers can call into Monday thru Friday 8-6 EST for assistance and a dedicated tech line for servicers to call into if they need assistance with repairs. We see that your servicer is now working with his Viking Regional Service Manager for your area to assist with getting your issues resolved.

Original review: March 29, 2017

We made a big city-to-city move and bought a new home in another city. A key feature of which was a custom high-end kitchen renovation of which these Viking appliances are a core feature and part of the financial value of the decision to purchase this home. We've never had high-end appliances in our past because we couldn't afford them nor did we really think we needed them.

The appliances were professionally installed as part of a kitchen renovation by the previous owners, purchased new, and they were less than four years old when we moved in. It's a Viking Professional, 48-inch wide range which is one of very few of that width, and a very high Viking Professional refrigerator. We moved in mid-2015 and we're approaching two years in the home. I've had six service calls and multiple, very expensive parts replacements in the Viking gas range and the oven has not worked since we moved in. Initially, it turned on but the front panel was overheating excessively to the point where you had to put oven mitts on to turn the knobs. It was that hot. Also, when we first moved in, we had trouble with the refrigerator initially and I hadn't really noticed because we were busy moving in and doing a lot of take-out. I also didn't notice the problem with the oven until a month or so in.

Now that I'm looking back on it, what happened is our local service partner - who is a Viking certified partner and is one of the top family-owned appliances repair companies in the entire city with a very good reputation - has told me repeatedly that there is no telephone number which their service partners can call. They have to email as the only way to communicate with the parts department but I'm assuming that with Viking as a provider or manufacturer, they had a parts plant here in Canada.

First the service guy said there are problems like the door wasn't fitting perfectly flushed and he thought because of the clients who had problems with the door hinges that if we replace those it might seal the unit better and therefore address the overheating issue because he wasn't getting any error codes at that time when he did a scan of the electronics inside the oven. He decided to do that and he also ordered a griddle and the main knob, which I knew was gonna be an expensive part. I figured it would be about $600, plus labor and it was. It had been chipped and sheared off by the previous owner when they installed the kitchen. They sheared it off with a piece of granite for the counter when they were doing the renovation so, I knew that was gonna be expensive, but that has nothing to do with the ongoing issue.

We replaced the hinges and another small component. Those parts took six months to arrive. Every month, I was calling the local service partner and after the second or third month, because I didn't wanna push, I thought maybe they're back ordered. It turned out that Viking's parts plant in Canada and the whole manufacturing facility plus customer service had moved to the United States across the border at the same time that our parts order went in. Not only that but by the time they identified that Viking had actually lost the order six months later, they claimed they never received it. The customer service call center had moved to a second US location like within a year's time so, there were multiple communication operational issues on the Viking end.

By the third time, I asked them to call Viking parts and escalate this because I've been with no oven for two months and the first $1,000 repair didn't do anything. The lady insisted that there was no way to do that. They don't have a phone number like the technicians and if they're on site and they need to talk to a Viking technical support personnel, they have a phone number they can call. But between the service partners and the parts department, it's only by email. We waited six months and we identified the issue four months later.

They sent another email and Viking finally replied and said they don't have any orders for those two parts. They replaced the order for both parts in month four and it's like they should have those parts within a couple of weeks. But two weeks later, I hadn't heard from the local partner. So, I called them and learned that the second part is on back order and it won't be ready for six weeks. When those parts finally came, the technician was very good, knowledgeable and he has a lot of experience, which is rare out there with Viking. He replaced the parts, tested it and it seemed to be okay.

The very next day, I was all excited so I bought a roast. Within about an hour to an hour and 15, I noticed the oven had shut off automatically and would not restart. At the same time, when the panel would overheat if you tried to use the top of the range to make potatoes and vegetable or if the oven had shut off and was overheated, the gas range atop would not ignite like a safety shut off feature so, I couldn't make a meal. Then, he came and replaced another major component and not only did it shut off but it started to not even ignite in the first place. You wouldn't hear the click before the gas engages and it would not start at all. So, I called the local service partner back and he said that they had built a cooling fan which wasn't part of the original design. But it seemed to resolve the overheating and the spark module most of the time in the repair environment. Sometimes, they cover it for some customers if they complained enough.

So, I spent two weeks going back and forth with a very nice customer care warranty person because it's out of warranty four or five years later, but it's a newer appliance. These things are like $15,000 and that's like a car. Given how young it was when we bought it as part of the home and the cost of the thing, I won't do it. Even if I was a gazillionaire, just on principle, I won't do it nor can we afford to and nothing else will fit in that space either because it's a custom kitchen designed around these appliances. I think there are only three 48-inch wide ranges that would fit into that space, gas ranges that are even available from any manufacturer.

Finally, I had to fight because the previous owner hadn't registered it. She said she can't do anything for me because they don't recognize a registration for warranty purposes of the original purchase. I went to the package with all the receipts the previous owner left with us for all the renos and purchases and found the bills from where they purchased. I was on hold with the warranty department for more than 45 minutes and I work full time, after all of this for a year and a half. I called her back and I asked if there is a fast track that she could help me out with because I was on hold for 45 minutes and I had called before calling her. I called back a second to the number she gave to me in case I got disconnected and waited another half an hour and I was just getting frustrated. I figured out for myself on their website that I could do it online because I had the receipt and the serial number and the date and all the information required.

So, I did it online myself and then called the customer service person back and told her that it was done. She said that now that it's registered, she's going to ask their regional service manager for Canada who works with Canadian providers if they will, as an exception given what I've been through, still cover the cooling unit to go with the spark module. I don't know how much the cooling thing would be but it's probably another $500. We've spent about $4,000 or $5,000 on these appliances in 17 months and they're less than five years old. That's parts and labor and the labor is like nothing compared to the cost of the parts. So, she said she's gonna ask for an exception under the circumstances.

I waited and it was 10 days or two weeks later that I got a voicemail message from her letting me know that their service manager has declined to cover it back for me. I'm usually a fairly reasonable, calm person, but I was like going up straight. I got really angry and I called her back and as calmly and politely as I could, I told her I don't think she's being reasonable. Not her personally but the process and the disconnected communication. I would like for their regional sales manager to please talk to my local technician from their service partner directly so they can understand the history. Then, he might make a more favorable decision. Eventually, the technician had to send a big detailed ticket of the most recent part replacement that he did, his idea of the diagnostics and circumstances and what his recommendation was. They talked on the phone together and it was approved right away.

My impression right now of Viking as a manufacturer and the post-sale service is not positive. I've worked in the network telecom business most of my career. Customer market facing and I know a lot about manufacturing, about different types of business operations and customer service but I've never seen something this bad in my entire life. Until I see it given, what I've experienced so far, I have no confidence that this repair part replacement will address the issue. I'd really like them to ship me a brand new replacement oven, in working order, and install it for me cause at this point, I think we have a lemon. I feel it's a defective unit and it should probably be replaced.

I don't want what happened to us to happen to other people. I had seen the negative reviews because of the problems that we were having from the beginning and if we had known this, we might not have even purchased this house. I would recommend pretty much any other brand. That's a lesson I've learned from this manufacturer.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The Viking Range I purchased was of good quality. However, there was a chip out of one of the screw holes in the enamel when I got it, but I didn't see until later. I like the gold on the burner, which is why I bought it, and also the lighting on the display that I can turn on and off.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We were home builders and we were at Pacific Sales looking at different ranges, and because of the design and quality, we went with Viking. We bought a double oven set for us. They are side by side and one is smaller and one is larger. However, the large oven did not work. I spoke to Viking, and it took five visits before they replaced it. They replaced it a month ago after I threatened to sue them.

Resolution response: April 10, 2017

Finally sent the part. Technician found a second faulty part when doing the repair, this time the ignition!

Viking Ranges

Viking is truly sorry to hear of the issues you are having. We will have one of our customer care representatives contact you shortly to get your information and see how we can get this issue resolved for you.

Original review: March 24, 2017

We barely avoided disaster the first time we used our new Viking Range. The gas valve failed in the open position and kept going after we turned off the controls. Luckily we realized before it started a fire. They keep promising to ship the part but never do. The service company says this is typical for them, especially since they got bought by Middleby in 2013. Avoid at all cost! Deadly product & awful service.

Viking Ranges Company Profile