Viking Ranges

Viking Ranges
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.84/5

Viking is a luxury appliance manufacturer that offers high-performance ranges, refrigerators, dishwashers and more. Its ranges are available in a variety of burner configurations, sizes and fuel types. Customers see the widest variety of options with Viking gas ranges or dual-fuel models. Viking electric ranges or induction ranges have fewer size or configuration options, but these models are still feature-rich and can be customized by color.

Viking Gallery (6)
BOTTOM LINE

Viking is a U.S.-based luxury appliance manufacturer. It sells ranges in different sizes, burner configurations and fuel types. Its products can be expensive, but they’re designed to last.

PROS
  • Luxury designs and materials
  • Customizable
  • Long-lasting
  • Promotional offers and rebates
CONS
  • Limited pricing transparency
  • Expensive

Top Viking Ranges Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Viking?

Viking Range is a good range and we haven't had any issues with it. It looks commercial grade but for residential. I like the quality and it cooks well. Also, their representative was helpful.

I’ve called Viking Range several times for various questions since we bought a house with a Viking built in refrigerator… Hope from customer service and Stuart from the service side were a huge help.... I would never have gotten this type of support from any of the mainstream appliance companies…

What are Viking ranges?

Whether you’re shopping for a range or a warming drawer, Viking products are known for their reliability, functionality, professional quality and attractive designs. It offers appliances for indoor and outdoor kitchens and has many colors and styles to choose from.

Here are the types of cooking products you can expect to find at your local dealer or showroom:

• Freestanding ranges
  • Rangetops
  • Stovetops
  • Ovens
  • Microwaves
  • Warming drawers

How long do Viking ranges last?

Your Viking range’s life expectancy is heavily influenced by how often the stove is used and how well it’s cleaned and maintained. As a general rule, most ranges last from 10 to 20 years. Gas ranges have an average life expectancy of 15 years, while electric ranges typically last for 13 years. Viking strives to be at the higher end of that scale, and it designs its ranges to compare with professional appliances known to last as long as 40 years.

Viking offers a two-year limited warranty on its products. This warranty covers workmanship or material defects and is valid from your date of purchase. Products can be returned for an exchange within 10 days of purchase, or you can return your range for repairs if you experience issues.

Viking range prices

Viking ranges typically start at around $4,000, but its larger and more luxurious models can cost more than $20,000. Its cooktops range from $1,500 to $8,000, and wall ovens generally cost around $6,000 to $14,000.

The price of any appliance depends on its size, number of burners, fuel type and the dealer’s pricing. You can request a quote online or visit one of its local dealers to get pricing on the model you’re interested in. Viking also offers a variety of promotional offers.

Viking FAQ

Who owns Viking ranges?
Viking is owned by the Middleby Corporation, which is based out of Illinois.
Who manufactures Viking appliances?
Viking manufactures its appliances from one of its four manufacturing plants in Mississippi. The company works to attract tourism to its headquarters city in Greenwood, Mississippi.
Is Viking an American company?
Viking is a U.S. company. It’s based in Greenwood, Mississippi, and is involved with the local community.
How do you start a Viking stovetop?
To light the surface burner, push and turn the knob for that burner. For more details on how to operate your Viking stovetop, consult the user manual for your model.

Are Viking appliances good?

Viking is known for designing and manufacturing high-quality, professional-grade kitchen appliances. Its products have luxurious styles and materials, so these ranges are more expensive than your typical stovetop. Pricing isn’t available online, but customers can receive quotes online or with a local Viking dealer.

Viking Ranges Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Viking Ranges?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Viking?

Original review: Jan. 17, 2021

Initially, we had a difficulty with baking, and then the temperature just cut off. It ended up taking an hour and a half to bake one sheet of cookies after it had warmed up for a good 20 and then 40 minutes. It took a long time. Someone came out, and he said nothing was wrong with and it hasn't done it since. But so far, so good.

I live in an area that is lower population. We don't have as many service people to service. Initially, I was told I would have to wait a month to a month and a half for someone to come out and look at it. I pleaded with the gal on the phone. “Well, it’s just before Christmas, and I have a four-year old. And we're looking forward to baking.” Lo and behold, someone had availability in their schedule. She called me right away and said, “I can get you in right away. Are you available?” I said, “Of course, I am.” I was disappointed in that. I said, “Gosh, if I had any future issues, it would be a bummer to have to wait that long for service.”

In addition, I can’t get a pizza pan to go all the way in. It's not the depth of the oven. It just needs to be an inch and a half further in depth, and then a regular pizza pan could fit in. That was shocking to me. We ran into it on the first day of our move. We had the movers here and I thought, “Oh, I'll just pick up pizzas and cook them in the oven.” Because we live a ways out from any pizza place. I had to cut all the pizzas in order for them to fit into the oven, which is a pain in the neck. And then anytime I go to fix a pizza, I can't use the basic pizza pan, which is a bummer. Other than that, I've enjoyed using the stove top, and the oven has been great since. I've been happy.

Get buying tips about Ranges, Ovens, and Stoves delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2020

We wanted a high-end range. We needed something ultra dependable and something with great reviews. I cook a lot and I use good quality pots and pans. We use a lot of cast iron skillets and Le Creuset. Everything that's out there right now is even broken in the store. We went to Lowe's a couple of times and the grates of some of their higher end ranges were snapped in the store. It was pretty dumb. Another big factor for us is we did not want a display board. Our previous couple ranges had that kind of electronic stuff and we wanted dials we could turn. We understand there are electronics in there but I don't need a pizza setting or anything like that.

We bought the Viking range professional model so it's an open burner and we love it. We are now calling it the turbo stove and turbo oven because the stuff cooks so fast. But we had to have a guy come out and check it because some of the igniters weren't igniting right away on the stove. When we would turn it off, it would go poof and there is a big flash of flame. We had converted to propane. He checked everything and said it was fine. He explained something about the valve that lets the gas in is further back so we are gonna have that. It's not a problem though as it’s not dangerous. It's just something that had to get used to. And then the guy figured out what we could do where it won't poof.

Right now, I have a Le Creuset on the stove and I’m making a bone broth. If I put the two back burners on the simmer function, it’s really nice and low. My broth simmers nicely. It kinda huffs but it doesn’t do that on the front burners. I got a huge stockpot on a front burner. It’s in the lowest setting and it's beautiful. Our range works fantastically but it is different from what we were used to. We're adaptable though. We’re gladly working with it. Also, the range doesn't have a timer but I'm okay with that. I baked a sourdough loaf this morning and it’s beautiful. The oven is consistently 25 degrees off according to my Amazon internal cheapo thermometer in there. But we're also at 4,200 feet. As long as I know that it's 25 degrees off, I can deal with that. Our last range was all digital and it was so unpredictable. That's why we wanted something predictable. Our Viking range is, so far. It’s beautiful and it’s a work of art.

Original review: May 30, 2020

Viking always had a very high-quality name and it's one of the higher-end appliances that you can buy. Aside from that, I'm a big person that grew up where you didn't rely on other countries for anything and with Viking, everything is made here in the USA. It provides jobs for people here and the quality isn't junk. Compared to that, I've been seeing a lot of things deteriorate in products that were imported into the country.

I went onto the Viking website a couple of times and looked at the different models as well as some of the specs. I shopped around a little bit but Viking is one of those products with prices that are pretty even across the board. There might be a sale every now and then but I didn't see one dealer offering it any cheaper than another dealer, which a lot of times is a sign that they don't have to reduce the prices because they know it is a good product. And if we want it, then we're gonna have to pay for it.

So, I decided to buy Viking appliances and I ended up going with a company out of New York City called AJ Madison, who I found out is a major appliance distributor for all kinds of different appliances places like Home Depot and Lowe's. They were very accommodating and I paid over $16,000 for the appliances that I ordered from them. They kept them in storage for close to six months or more before I actually needed them and gave me some breaks on shipping cost on some of the stuff that I found out later I needed that I hadn't ordered the first time. They gave me a discount on the shipping because I ordered them in New York and had to have them shipped to Texas.

I also bought the five-year warranty on all the appliances and at the time, they had a special where if you bought four items, you got one free. Plus, there was some kind of a rebate going on which I found somewhat attractive. I got a rebate check for $750 on all the appliances, so that was a good incentive, considering the amount of appliances that I bought. But even if there hadn't been a rebate, I still would've bought Viking.

But then, I had a little bit of an issue in trying to submit the rebate information on Viking's website. I did not have the serial number for the chimney hood that I ordered and I called AJ Madison because they had a lot of them on file from their inventory. They gave me a number, but when I went to the website to fill out the rebate information, for some reason, that number was not recognized. I ended up calling customer support hotline because I couldn't get it to actually go through and the reps I talked to were great and very helpful.

In the end, I spent three times the allowance that was given to us by the builder for the whole package on the kitchen appliances and I did that because this may be the last house I ever build and I wanted to get something that would last, would be reliable, and would give my wife some pleasure in cooking on it because she likes to cook. So far, we have not used the appliances much but after we ran the dishwasher the first time, I noticed that for some reason, it had a plastic cover at the bottom of it that's like a kickplate. And when I opened the door up, it would not go all the way down. I had to remove that kickplate in order to get the door to go all the way down and I don't know if it just wasn't installed correctly. But I'll try to schedule an appointment with the warranty company to see if they can come out there and take a look at it.

Other than that, the other appliances were fine and as far as the beauty, the feel, and the quality, the saying, "You get what you pay for," holds true with the Viking products. Hopefully, we're gonna get many years of enjoyment out of the appliances that we got and if we have a problem with them, we should be able to get them repaired. I wouldn't have a problem if there'd be an embargo with China and it's the only place where the special component that the stove needs in order to run can be found. I also hope that Viking will have those parts here in this country and stock, and any replacement parts will be easy to get.

Besides that, I hope my review will not only help Viking but also encourage more people to buy American made and not just order something through Amazon. When you do that and you try to return something, you end up not having customer support. You end up pulling a phone number where it's a revolving loop and you rarely ever get to talk to a human. I'd buy stuff from Amazon, then I'd get it and I'd find out that it was not the right one or it wouldn't fit. And 90% of the time, I didn't even bother to try to return what I bought because I knew the effort, the time, and the frustration that it'd take me to try and send it back, get a refund or an exchange. It's just not worth it.

Original review: May 22, 2020

We like the quality of Viking. They had a wall oven, the French door design, and both my husband and I fell in love with it. We compared it to the only other product out there that I'm aware of that had a French door wall oven, which was GE, and it didn't compare as far as quality. We've had our Viking installed in November of last year and we have had several issues, but it they are all being resolved. The wall oven had a heating issue where it took too long to heat up. There was a panel that just got replaced this week, and that is not working. And then on the range, the glass in the oven door slid around a little bit. It took a while to get this issue resolved, but we have just found out they're gonna replace the entire range.

I work with Gygi, the company we purchased them through, and they've been awesome. The repair company, Kimball, has been dealing with us as far as the repair. They've been a little bit slow to get back to us because they say Viking was slow too. But as soon as I contacted Gygi and told them, "Hey, something's not getting handled here," they got involved and it that was resolved within a day.

The range has been fine. I haven't used the oven too much because we use the wall oven. We were having issues with it taking too long to warm up, but that's now been resolved. Another thing I love about the range is underneath the burners, they have this whole big shelf you can pull out and clean. It catches everything that might have fallen while you're cooking and that is awesome because all you got to do is pull it out and clean it. It's the same thing on the inside on the range. They have the whole bottom piece. You can lift it right out of the oven and clean it by hand. So, that's pretty awesome too. I want it to look like it was brand new forever.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

Bought used in 1998. Still working great. Converted from natural gas to propane. Newer models have more precise temperature control, but I am happy with this old workhorse. It has a huge oven, stovetop has 4 burners plus a large griddle. Stove is 36" wide.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2021

My previous range was also a Viking, when I went to replace I looked at a number of different models and ended up with another Viking. Love the range. The only issue is that the burners aren’t sealed so it difficult to clean.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2021

The Viking D3 Range and Oven have performed beautifully. The high quality materials and solid construction leaves them still looking new and working well after 8 years of daily use. Viking lives up to its reputation for commercial grade quality and durability in a household appliance.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2021

Not the greatest service for a pretty pricey appliance. The grid was kind of hard to maintain. Overtime, the grill top did look discolored (supposed to be normal) but it kind of bothered us as we had an open kitchen concept. Otherwise, best gas stove we have had so far in-term of cooking/pots - the grill top in the center and 2 cooking grids on either side.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2021

When it works it works great. I have this stove over 10 yrs. Easy to clean but the controls on the oven parts are not so great. Problems is getting service on this stove nearby. It's a commercial quality stove and somewhat an overkill for the average homeowner. Newer stoves today have more electronic controls while this stove doesn't. I can interchange both natural and propane gas.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

It is a gas stove top with 4 burners. It is very easy to adjust the flame for each. Also, the oven has multiple settings for regular and convection baking. The range has been flawless in the 3 years we have had it.

Viking Ranges Company Information