3.9/5 (118 ratings)

About Viking Ranges

Viking is a luxury appliance manufacturer that offers high-performance ranges, refrigerators, dishwashers and more. Its ranges are available in a variety of burner configurations, sizes and fuel types. Customers see the widest variety of options with Viking gas ranges or dual-fuel models. Viking electric ranges or induction ranges have fewer size or configuration options, but these models are still feature-rich and can be customized by color.

Pros

• Luxury designs and materials
  • Customizable
  • Long-lasting
  • Promotional offers and rebates

Cons

• Limited pricing transparency
  • Expensive

Bottom Line

Viking is a U.S.-based luxury appliance manufacturer. It sells ranges in different sizes, burner configurations and fuel types. Its products can be expensive, but they’re designed to last.

Top Viking Ranges Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Viking?

Verified

Viking Range is a good range and we haven't had any issues with it. It looks commercial grade but for residential. I like the quality and it cooks well. Also, their representative...

Verified

I’ve called Viking Range several times for various questions since we bought a house with a Viking built in refrigerator… Hope from customer service and Stuart from the service si...

What are Viking ranges?

Whether you’re shopping for a range or a warming drawer, Viking products are known for their reliability, functionality, professional quality and attractive designs. It offers appliances for indoor and outdoor kitchens and has many colors and styles to choose from.

Here are the types of cooking products you can expect to find at your local dealer or showroom:

• Freestanding ranges
  • Rangetops
  • Stovetops
  • Ovens
  • Microwaves
  • Warming drawers

How long do Viking ranges last?

Your Viking range’s life expectancy is heavily influenced by how often the stove is used and how well it’s cleaned and maintained. As a general rule, most ranges last from 10 to 20 years. Gas ranges have an average life expectancy of 15 years, while electric ranges typically last for 13 years. Viking strives to be at the higher end of that scale, and it designs its ranges to compare with professional appliances known to last as long as 40 years.

Viking offers a two-year limited warranty on its products. This warranty covers workmanship or material defects and is valid from your date of purchase. Products can be returned for an exchange within 10 days of purchase, or you can return your range for repairs if you experience issues.

Viking range prices

Viking ranges typically start at around $4,000, but its larger and more luxurious models can cost more than $20,000. Its cooktops range from $1,500 to $8,000, and wall ovens generally cost around $6,000 to $14,000.

The price of any appliance depends on its size, number of burners, fuel type and the dealer’s pricing. You can request a quote online or visit one of its local dealers to get pricing on the model you’re interested in. Viking also offers a variety of promotional offers.

Viking FAQ

Who owns Viking ranges?
Viking is owned by the Middleby Corporation, which is based out of Illinois.
Who manufactures Viking appliances?
Viking manufactures its appliances from one of its four manufacturing plants in Mississippi. The company works to attract tourism to its headquarters city in Greenwood, Mississippi.
Is Viking an American company?
Viking is a U.S. company. It’s based in Greenwood, Mississippi, and is involved with the local community.
How do you start a Viking stovetop?
To light the surface burner, push and turn the knob for that burner. For more details on how to operate your Viking stovetop, consult the user manual for your model.

Are Viking appliances good?

Viking is known for designing and manufacturing high-quality, professional-grade kitchen appliances. Its products have luxurious styles and materials, so these ranges are more expensive than your typical stovetop. Pricing isn’t available online, but customers can receive quotes online or with a local Viking dealer.

Viking Ranges Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Viking Ranges?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Viking?

Original review: April 10, 2021

I’ve seen Viking Ranges around, and I've seen them evolve into a more sophisticated product than they were originally. They are robust, close to commercial in quality and performance, but have the benefit of being thoughtful of a residential home. They have convection, high heat, and different things one might want, like a broiler and a griddle, and you may or may not want it. And they have stood the test of time. I had a Garland for 25 years. It was commercial and rugged, but it didn't keep up.

The reps were not knowledgeable at the store that I bought it at. But they were not unfriendly. I came prepared, having done my homework. And I felt a little rushed. But too bad for me, you have to have tough feelings. I had an insurance plan and something went wrong. And the insurance wasn't the easiest thing to work out. It was hard to get them and to get help. That was a little slippery.

The irony of it all is my electrician rewired the kitchen and they had switched the neutral. The stove knew it, and was misbehaving, and we thought it was the stove. The people in Brooklyn who fixed it, top shelf. They could have told me anything. They diagnosed the truth. “You got the wrong polarity, fix it”. We fixed it, but the stove was never broken. That is more important to me than the sales people by a mile. Viking has excellent factory trained technicians. Love that.

The reason I bought the Viking was it has a smart sensor. If the flame went out, it knew, and it lighted it. I was stunned at that. It may have been around a long time, but I didn't know about it. So it has everything I’ve seen in lots of places, but it has a smart technology that is lifesaving. It’s fantastic. The caveat is we've had it a few years. The quality is good, and the performance is excellent. We rattle the doors, turn the knobs and spill things just like anybody else. And so far, it's just humming along. I would recommend that stove in a heartbeat. And this is a person who had a Garland for a long time.

Get buying tips about Ranges, Ovens, and Stoves delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2021

I had a Viking range in my last house and I liked it. I like gas cooking. However, when it came, the front griddle was scratched. Viking put in a ticket for service to get that replaced. They came out once. The tech couldn't do it. Came out again. He couldn't do it. Came out the third time with the replacement burners. Instead of being the silver, they were rose gold. Came back a fourth time. Now, this is only being here to make sure he could get in. In the meantime, also the griddle came. It was rusted. I just got that griddle three weeks ago after purchasing back in August. I love the product but the service was horrendous. I have all Viking in my house. I got another French door oven, the dishwashers, the microwave. It was terrible. A lot of my time spent trying to get things fixed that I shouldn't have been spending time on. Nobody listens to me.

There was so much trouble trying to get the stove in and get it to be finished that I almost said to them, “Come and take it back.” Putting in tickets, waiting here for people to come to the house during COVID. Coming in, he couldn't fix it. Hours taking the whole stove apart, putting stuff all over the floor. Meaning that when his visits came, like the one time he came at 4:00 and I would start cooking dinner around 4:30, he came until 6:30. A lot of little problem things that shouldn't have had to happen. And then they give you a window of eight hours that they will be there. So, you take a day off work. That was just the messy part of it. I did that three times. But the products that they make, I absolutely love. I've had them in my last two homes, and I have a 48- inch stove fuel and I love it.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2021

Initially, we had a difficulty with baking, and then the temperature just cut off. It ended up taking an hour and a half to bake one sheet of cookies after it had warmed up for a good 20 and then 40 minutes. It took a long time. Someone came out, and he said nothing was wrong with and it hasn't done it since. But so far, so good.

I live in an area that is lower population. We don't have as many service people to service. Initially, I was told I would have to wait a month to a month and a half for someone to come out and look at it. I pleaded with the gal on the phone. “Well, it’s just before Christmas, and I have a four-year old. And we're looking forward to baking.” Lo and behold, someone had availability in their schedule. She called me right away and said, “I can get you in right away. Are you available?” I said, “Of course, I am.” I was disappointed in that. I said, “Gosh, if I had any future issues, it would be a bummer to have to wait that long for service.”

In addition, I can’t get a pizza pan to go all the way in. It's not the depth of the oven. It just needs to be an inch and a half further in depth, and then a regular pizza pan could fit in. That was shocking to me. We ran into it on the first day of our move. We had the movers here and I thought, “Oh, I'll just pick up pizzas and cook them in the oven.” Because we live a ways out from any pizza place. I had to cut all the pizzas in order for them to fit into the oven, which is a pain in the neck. And then anytime I go to fix a pizza, I can't use the basic pizza pan, which is a bummer. Other than that, I've enjoyed using the stove top, and the oven has been great since. I've been happy.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2020

We wanted a high-end range. We needed something ultra dependable and something with great reviews. I cook a lot and I use good quality pots and pans. We use a lot of cast iron skillets and Le Creuset. Everything that's out there right now is even broken in the store. We went to Lowe's a couple of times and the grates of some of their higher end ranges were snapped in the store. It was pretty dumb. Another big factor for us is we did not want a display board. Our previous couple ranges had that kind of electronic stuff and we wanted dials we could turn. We understand there are electronics in there but I don't need a pizza setting or anything like that.

We bought the Viking range professional model so it's an open burner and we love it. We are now calling it the turbo stove and turbo oven because the stuff cooks so fast. But we had to have a guy come out and check it because some of the igniters weren't igniting right away on the stove. When we would turn it off, it would go poof and there is a big flash of flame. We had converted to propane. He checked everything and said it was fine. He explained something about the valve that lets the gas in is further back so we are gonna have that. It's not a problem though as it’s not dangerous. It's just something that had to get used to. And then the guy figured out what we could do where it won't poof.

Right now, I have a Le Creuset on the stove and I’m making a bone broth. If I put the two back burners on the simmer function, it’s really nice and low. My broth simmers nicely. It kinda huffs but it doesn’t do that on the front burners. I got a huge stockpot on a front burner. It’s in the lowest setting and it's beautiful. Our range works fantastically but it is different from what we were used to. We're adaptable though. We’re gladly working with it. Also, the range doesn't have a timer but I'm okay with that. I baked a sourdough loaf this morning and it’s beautiful. The oven is consistently 25 degrees off according to my Amazon internal cheapo thermometer in there. But we're also at 4,200 feet. As long as I know that it's 25 degrees off, I can deal with that. Our last range was all digital and it was so unpredictable. That's why we wanted something predictable. Our Viking range is, so far. It’s beautiful and it’s a work of art.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2020

We wanted a happy marriage of performance and utility so we figured we'd buy Viking. One of the big things involved in my purchase was BTUs, the power of the burners. I had something which was similar but the Viking range outperformed anything that I've ever used. It's so much more efficient. I also have their microwave and we’ve had zero issues with it. We're super happy with it. I had paid for installation and delivery because that was part of the whole package. But with COVID, they couldn't do it. I just got my handyman to come and install it and it was super easy. The performance has been amazing. I love cooking on it. It's one of those free-standing ranges. However, the convection oven button blew out in about a month which kind of surprised me. I had used it once. Once I turned the convection oven on, I could not turn itself off. It was still under warranty so I did call Viking.

The people at Viking were amazing. They were like, “Yes, absolutely. It's all covered. It's a brand new appliance. That should have never happened.” The service technicians that they contracted out to, not so much. I live in Austin and it took them forever. It ran for two days straight before they could come out and turn it off. Then they told me that there was some circuit that was broken so they needed to order a part. They came out and said they had the part. Five minutes later, the guy said it was the wrong part and left. I received no communication to the point where I had to reach out to Viking. I wrote them a very lengthy email saying, “I'm not happy. This is not what I expected out of a premium product. This may not be you directly, but this is your contractor. I haven't heard from them. There's no timeline and it's been months." Finally, it got fixed after multiple trips three weeks ago. That was not super nice.

Original review: July 8, 2021

We've been a little disappointed in the quality of our Viking range top and the noise of the fans. But otherwise, the operation has been good.

Original review: July 2, 2021

I’ve had issues with the stove, the refrigerator, and the dishwasher. I have to pay almost $2,00 trying to fix them and Viking refused to pay for that. I bought an extended warranty and they wouldn't pay for it because they said the appliances were under manufacturer's warranty. But Viking said it was not their warranty. I paid so much money for these things and it's not like I can go out and buy new ones. I wouldn’t recommend anybody to buy from Vikings.

Original review: June 26, 2021

We like our Viking. I like the way it produces heat overall as a stove and the griddle has been really good 'cause we cook every Sunday on it. The only thing that I have a problem with is my convection oven fan, for whatever reason, hits in the back when I turn it on.

Original review: June 24, 2021

The dealer had to order everything and it took several weeks but the installation of the range went well. However, the installers demanded to be paid upfront. When you schedule the installation service, you had to pay for that at the time even though you may have been a couple weeks out. That was the only thing that was kind of sketchy but it worked out. The range is a beautiful unit and it works well. We're happy with it. I like the induction heating too.

Original review: June 23, 2021

My only two choices was Viking or Wolf and for the price, Viking gave me what I wanted. The dealer that I bought it from were on the ball. They got it for me earlier than I thought I was gonna get it. One of the cast-iron grates was cracked and they got it replaced through Viking within a week. I like everything about the range. It fulfills my expectations and does what it's supposed to do. It looks great and I'm very happy with it. The fact that we just took off all the top panels to wash them is a miracle in itself. It lights when I want it to. It keeps the temperature where I want it in the oven.

Viking Ranges Company Information