Accredited Partner

Viking Ranges

Viking Ranges
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.71/5

Viking is a luxury appliance manufacturer that offers high-performance ranges, refrigerators, dishwashers and more. Its ranges are available in a variety of burner configurations, sizes and fuel types. Customers see the widest variety of options with Viking gas ranges or dual-fuel models. Viking electric ranges or induction ranges have fewer size or configuration options, but these models are still feature-rich and can be customized by color.

Viking Gallery (6)

BOTTOM LINE

Viking is a U.S.-based luxury appliance manufacturer. It sells ranges in different sizes, burner configurations and fuel types. Its products can be expensive, but they’re designed to last.

PROS

• Luxury designs and materials
  • Customizable
  • Long-lasting
  • Promotional offers and rebates

CONS

• Limited pricing transparency
  • Expensive

Top Viking Ranges Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Viking?

Viking Range is a good range and we haven't had any issues with it. It looks commercial grade but for residential. I like the quality and it cooks well. Also, their representative was helpful.

I’ve called Viking Range several times for various questions since we bought a house with a Viking built in refrigerator… Hope from customer service and Stuart from the service side were a huge help.... I would never have gotten this type of support from any of the mainstream appliance companies…

What are Viking ranges?

Whether you’re shopping for a range or a warming drawer, Viking products are known for their reliability, functionality, professional quality and attractive designs. It offers appliances for indoor and outdoor kitchens and has many colors and styles to choose from.

Here are the types of cooking products you can expect to find at your local dealer or showroom:

• Freestanding ranges
  • Rangetops
  • Stovetops
  • Ovens
  • Microwaves
  • Warming drawers

How long do Viking ranges last?

Your Viking range’s life expectancy is heavily influenced by how often the stove is used and how well it’s cleaned and maintained. As a general rule, most ranges last from 10 to 20 years. Gas ranges have an average life expectancy of 15 years, while electric ranges typically last for 13 years. Viking strives to be at the higher end of that scale, and it designs its ranges to compare with professional appliances known to last as long as 40 years.

Viking offers a two-year limited warranty on its products. This warranty covers workmanship or material defects and is valid from your date of purchase. Products can be returned for an exchange within 10 days of purchase, or you can return your range for repairs if you experience issues.

Viking range prices

Viking ranges typically start at around $4,000, but its larger and more luxurious models can cost more than $20,000. Its cooktops range from $1,500 to $8,000, and wall ovens generally cost around $6,000 to $14,000.

The price of any appliance depends on its size, number of burners, fuel type and the dealer’s pricing. You can request a quote online or visit one of its local dealers to get pricing on the model you’re interested in. Viking also offers a variety of promotional offers.

Viking FAQ

Who owns Viking ranges?
Viking is owned by the Middleby Corporation, which is based out of Illinois.
Who manufactures Viking appliances?
Viking manufactures its appliances from one of its four manufacturing plants in Mississippi. The company works to attract tourism to its headquarters city in Greenwood, Mississippi.
Is Viking an American company?
Viking is a U.S. company. It’s based in Greenwood, Mississippi, and is involved with the local community.
How do you start a Viking stovetop?
To light the surface burner, push and turn the knob for that burner. For more details on how to operate your Viking stovetop, consult the user manual for your model.

Are Viking appliances good?

Viking is known for designing and manufacturing high-quality, professional-grade kitchen appliances. Its products have luxurious styles and materials, so these ranges are more expensive than your typical stovetop. Pricing isn’t available online, but customers can receive quotes online or with a local Viking dealer.

Viking Ranges Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Viking Ranges?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Viking?

Original review: Oct. 14, 2020

We wanted a high-end range. We needed something ultra dependable and something with great reviews. I cook a lot and I use good quality pots and pans. We use a lot of cast iron skillets and Le Creuset. Everything that's out there right now is even broken in the store. We went to Lowe's a couple of times and the grates of some of their higher end ranges were snapped in the store. It was pretty dumb. Another big factor for us is we did not want a display board. Our previous couple ranges had that kind of electronic stuff and we wanted dials we could turn. We understand there are electronics in there but I don't need a pizza setting or anything like that.

We bought the Viking range professional model so it's an open burner and we love it. We are now calling it the turbo stove and turbo oven because the stuff cooks so fast. But we had to have a guy come out and check it because some of the igniters weren't igniting right away on the stove. When we would turn it off, it would go poof and there is a big flash of flame. We had converted to propane. He checked everything and said it was fine. He explained something about the valve that lets the gas in is further back so we are gonna have that. It's not a problem though as it’s not dangerous. It's just something that had to get used to. And then the guy figured out what we could do where it won't poof.

Right now, I have a Le Creuset on the stove and I’m making a bone broth. If I put the two back burners on the simmer function, it’s really nice and low. My broth simmers nicely. It kinda huffs but it doesn’t do that on the front burners. I got a huge stockpot on a front burner. It’s in the lowest setting and it's beautiful. Our range works fantastically but it is different from what we were used to. We're adaptable though. We’re gladly working with it. Also, the range doesn't have a timer but I'm okay with that. I baked a sourdough loaf this morning and it’s beautiful. The oven is consistently 25 degrees off according to my Amazon internal cheapo thermometer in there. But we're also at 4,200 feet. As long as I know that it's 25 degrees off, I can deal with that. Our last range was all digital and it was so unpredictable. That's why we wanted something predictable. Our Viking range is, so far. It’s beautiful and it’s a work of art.

Get buying tips about Ranges, Ovens, and Stoves delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2020

We wanted a happy marriage of performance and utility so we figured we'd buy Viking. One of the big things involved in my purchase was BTUs, the power of the burners. I had something which was similar but the Viking range outperformed anything that I've ever used. It's so much more efficient. I also have their microwave and we’ve had zero issues with it. We're super happy with it. I had paid for installation and delivery because that was part of the whole package. But with COVID, they couldn't do it. I just got my handyman to come and install it and it was super easy. The performance has been amazing. I love cooking on it. It's one of those free-standing ranges. However, the convection oven button blew out in about a month which kind of surprised me. I had used it once. Once I turned the convection oven on, I could not turn itself off. It was still under warranty so I did call Viking.

The people at Viking were amazing. They were like, “Yes, absolutely. It's all covered. It's a brand new appliance. That should have never happened.” The service technicians that they contracted out to, not so much. I live in Austin and it took them forever. It ran for two days straight before they could come out and turn it off. Then they told me that there was some circuit that was broken so they needed to order a part. They came out and said they had the part. Five minutes later, the guy said it was the wrong part and left. I received no communication to the point where I had to reach out to Viking. I wrote them a very lengthy email saying, “I'm not happy. This is not what I expected out of a premium product. This may not be you directly, but this is your contractor. I haven't heard from them. There's no timeline and it's been months." Finally, it got fixed after multiple trips three weeks ago. That was not super nice.

Original review: May 30, 2020

Viking always had a very high-quality name and it's one of the higher-end appliances that you can buy. Aside from that, I'm a big person that grew up where you didn't rely on other countries for anything and with Viking, everything is made here in the USA. It provides jobs for people here and the quality isn't junk. Compared to that, I've been seeing a lot of things deteriorate in products that were imported into the country.

I went onto the Viking website a couple of times and looked at the different models as well as some of the specs. I shopped around a little bit but Viking is one of those products with prices that are pretty even across the board. There might be a sale every now and then but I didn't see one dealer offering it any cheaper than another dealer, which a lot of times is a sign that they don't have to reduce the prices because they know it is a good product. And if we want it, then we're gonna have to pay for it.

So, I decided to buy Viking appliances and I ended up going with a company out of New York City called AJ Madison, who I found out is a major appliance distributor for all kinds of different appliances places like Home Depot and Lowe's. They were very accommodating and I paid over $16,000 for the appliances that I ordered from them. They kept them in storage for close to six months or more before I actually needed them and gave me some breaks on shipping cost on some of the stuff that I found out later I needed that I hadn't ordered the first time. They gave me a discount on the shipping because I ordered them in New York and had to have them shipped to Texas.

I also bought the five-year warranty on all the appliances and at the time, they had a special where if you bought four items, you got one free. Plus, there was some kind of a rebate going on which I found somewhat attractive. I got a rebate check for $750 on all the appliances, so that was a good incentive, considering the amount of appliances that I bought. But even if there hadn't been a rebate, I still would've bought Viking.

But then, I had a little bit of an issue in trying to submit the rebate information on Viking's website. I did not have the serial number for the chimney hood that I ordered and I called AJ Madison because they had a lot of them on file from their inventory. They gave me a number, but when I went to the website to fill out the rebate information, for some reason, that number was not recognized. I ended up calling customer support hotline because I couldn't get it to actually go through and the reps I talked to were great and very helpful.

In the end, I spent three times the allowance that was given to us by the builder for the whole package on the kitchen appliances and I did that because this may be the last house I ever build and I wanted to get something that would last, would be reliable, and would give my wife some pleasure in cooking on it because she likes to cook. So far, we have not used the appliances much but after we ran the dishwasher the first time, I noticed that for some reason, it had a plastic cover at the bottom of it that's like a kickplate. And when I opened the door up, it would not go all the way down. I had to remove that kickplate in order to get the door to go all the way down and I don't know if it just wasn't installed correctly. But I'll try to schedule an appointment with the warranty company to see if they can come out there and take a look at it.

Other than that, the other appliances were fine and as far as the beauty, the feel, and the quality, the saying, "You get what you pay for," holds true with the Viking products. Hopefully, we're gonna get many years of enjoyment out of the appliances that we got and if we have a problem with them, we should be able to get them repaired. I wouldn't have a problem if there'd be an embargo with China and it's the only place where the special component that the stove needs in order to run can be found. I also hope that Viking will have those parts here in this country and stock, and any replacement parts will be easy to get.

Besides that, I hope my review will not only help Viking but also encourage more people to buy American made and not just order something through Amazon. When you do that and you try to return something, you end up not having customer support. You end up pulling a phone number where it's a revolving loop and you rarely ever get to talk to a human. I'd buy stuff from Amazon, then I'd get it and I'd find out that it was not the right one or it wouldn't fit. And 90% of the time, I didn't even bother to try to return what I bought because I knew the effort, the time, and the frustration that it'd take me to try and send it back, get a refund or an exchange. It's just not worth it.

Original review: May 22, 2020

We like the quality of Viking. They had a wall oven, the French door design, and both my husband and I fell in love with it. We compared it to the only other product out there that I'm aware of that had a French door wall oven, which was GE, and it didn't compare as far as quality. We've had our Viking installed in November of last year and we have had several issues, but it they are all being resolved. The wall oven had a heating issue where it took too long to heat up. There was a panel that just got replaced this week, and that is not working. And then on the range, the glass in the oven door slid around a little bit. It took a while to get this issue resolved, but we have just found out they're gonna replace the entire range.

I work with Gygi, the company we purchased them through, and they've been awesome. The repair company, Kimball, has been dealing with us as far as the repair. They've been a little bit slow to get back to us because they say Viking was slow too. But as soon as I contacted Gygi and told them, "Hey, something's not getting handled here," they got involved and it that was resolved within a day.

The range has been fine. I haven't used the oven too much because we use the wall oven. We were having issues with it taking too long to warm up, but that's now been resolved. Another thing I love about the range is underneath the burners, they have this whole big shelf you can pull out and clean. It catches everything that might have fallen while you're cooking and that is awesome because all you got to do is pull it out and clean it. It's the same thing on the inside on the range. They have the whole bottom piece. You can lift it right out of the oven and clean it by hand. So, that's pretty awesome too. I want it to look like it was brand new forever.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2021

Viking appliance are beautiful to look at, however, the quality of them, not so much. I bought a suite of Viking products in 2009 (Stove, Refrigerator, Hood, Convection Microwave, Dishwasher) and have had consistent problems with them since day one. The range being the worst. It's an all-gas 30" model. The surface burners on the range work beautifully. They have gotten me through holiday and entertainment cooking when the oven would stop working. It seem that the oven has a known issue caused by cooking at high temperatures (400 degrees) for a period of time. Not only does the knob control area get so hot that you need an oven mitt to touch them it also, over time, burns out the circuitry that is behind those knobs, caused by condensation and/or heat.

The last incident was the icing on the cake when the oven wouldn't shut off. I had to turn the oven off at the breaker -- a safety issue no doubt. The circuitry is clearly fried again from cooking a chicken in the oven at 425. (The same faulty circuit board was replaced exactly one year ago.) Viking has told me before that the molding needs to be replaced, which it was. No change in heat coming out. The door shuts fine and solid from what I can tell. A recall was done on the stove that supposedly corrects the oven from turning on by itself. I sense that wasn't fixed because I couldn't get the oven to turn off the last time I had an issue.

In a recent email correspondence with Viking, a parts tech said that a fan needs to be repaired or installed under the range-top area where the circuitry is housed. What?! There is no fan and who's paying for that work-around. (Honestly I don't think he knew what he was talking about. This is Viking (Middleby) customer service, mind you.) I don't use my oven that much as I'm usually grilling. I probably use it 10-15 times per year and rely on a larger Breville toaster oven to roast/bake smaller things for the two of us. (That appliance has saved me many times and is worth every penny and has lasted well beyond the life of the Viking stove, at a fraction of the price.)

I've given up on Viking, as other appliances in this suite have been problematic just as much. I stopped using the dishwasher years ago. That's a saga unto itself. Sometimes it works, sometime it doesn't You never know. You get a light show on the control panel telling you why it failed cleaning. My point here is that Viking Appliances needs to be held 'accountable' for the quality of their products. Supposedly they are premier appliances that should be built to last. The Consumer Safety Commission needs to be aware as well, especially with regard to safety concerns with the range. I can't in good faith recommend buying a product from this company. Again, they look great but they just don't hold up. I will buy American again but not them!!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

I've had Viking for years. The ranges in the past were better quality than the one that I just got which is the Viking Tuscany series. The griddle didn't work and one of the ovens didn't work too. I am happy with the product but it's unfortunate we had a couple of little issues to get sorted out.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2021

I've had the range for less than a year and there were all these things wrong with it. We had to have the repair people out. I purchased it through Abt and they did not have a repair person out for six weeks. I was without a stove over Thanksgiving and up to about a week before Christmas. I was not happy. Abt said those stoves are solid. But they're not reliable quality machines. I'm very upset with the whole thing. Now we purchased a Viking convection, that we cooked a little bit. But it's not the same. So I'm not happy with it. I would appreciate a call from Viking. I should be given some kind of five-year warranty on this because I don't know what's going to happen. I don't trust the machine.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2021

Viking is got a good name and I liked the size of the burners. The range is dual fuel, which is what I wanted. Right now, there’s a very narrow slot in the back of the range for the gas piping. If that slot could be made larger, it would make it easier to conceal the piping. Viking could also put in a smaller burner. Because right now, you've got four large burners, and sometimes you only got to cook with a small pan. But I like the ignition. It lights up really quick. It's a good stove.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

I like that the burner of the Viking range is bigger than the other ones so I bought it. But I don't like the range. There is too much problem with the oven. Within six months, the oven is not working properly and there is a problem with the cleaning. The large shaft doesn't come out. So you have to maintain the range. When I turn on the burner, it goes right away sometimes but sometimes it takes four attempts to put on. Viking sent me some specialist and they told me there is a problem with the part. But the range is just one year old and it's expensive too. I never recommend this product anymore.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2021

I bought two Viking ranges the same day. I heard it worked well. One of them is great. The thing I wish they had was a clock and a timer. However, the other one's a piece of junk and I can't seem to get it fixed. When it gets fixed, it works well. When you have problems, you have lots of them. When I get one part fixed, something else is wrong with it. First thing that happened was it would not bake. It would only broil. Then when you turned on the convection oven, it sounded like a 747 was landing in my kitchen. We got the 747 part fixed then the guy ordered a part to get the bake part working. That now works but the oven light doesn't come on. Now, he has to come back again with another board. The part mishaps has been going on way before Thanksgiving and the gentleman I finally got in touch with was kind of rude.

Viking Ranges Company Information