Whirlpool Calypso Washers & Dryers

Compare Washers and Dryers

Research top Washers and Dryers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Anyone have a Calypso washing machine that drains vs filling both wash and rinse cycles. I purchased 2nd hand Calypso wash/dryer set 6 years ago at an auction for cheap. It worked ok, but never got the clothes clean enough. We limped along. Now, for both wash and rinse, when tub is filling, all water is simultaneously draining out. Cycles are super short followed by spin. If it's just a screw loose, etc, maybe we'll repair while we hunt down replacement.

Bought this washer because its large tub size - even purchased extended warranty. Within 1 month my problems started, called for repair, repairman basically told me that more than likely it wasn't going to be covered & I would be responsible for paying him. I told him "Don't come." Ended up being a tiny screw had stopped pump from turning & the pump for this gigantic washer is about size of my fist. Now my clothes are not being cleaned & after seeing so many other people with same problem I can't believe it. We always buy Whirlpool but never the extended warranty & never have had problems until now.

Every appliance in our home is Whirlpool & the stove & dishwasher not even 2 years old but I am considering replacing everything with another brand. I can't afford to put my trust in a company that will not stand behind their products. I also usually buy everything at Lowe's but even they aren't what they used to be. I would've done better by going to a second-hand appliance store & that is sad, at least most of them do offer a free 30 guarantee & my brand new washer didn't make it 30 days.

I called 1 866 6982538 about problem. He said to try different speed levels. Washers washed for one hour and still too wet for dryer so I took out one sheet and tried again. This is a waste of energy and water. There were only top flannel and fitted sheet and 4 pillowcases in the washer. This was bought on 12-28-15. What next?

7.3 cu.ft. Duet Electric Steam Dryer stopped working 12/2/15, repair of control panel not connected possibly happened with transport (yeah right) then on 12/19/15 it flashed CF1 code. Needed new control panel (really it worked a little over a month), part is back-ordered, repair person is supposed to come tomorrow :( I have sat home a total of 4 days waiting for repair people. Whirlpool will not replace machine. Bad customer service.

Upset that they sold me a bum washer, and will not replaced it. Washer is 3 years and it's short, I use it on a regular basis, don't abuse it. The tub and bearings need to be replaced. It's only 3 years old and I have a platinum model. I called and they said they expect their products to last more than 3 years, but man made

and I got bad luck.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool?

Basically I was just drying my clothes and the dryer started smoking and it caught fire. It left like a burn mark. And I love whirlpool, but it seems as if they have been lacking in customer service and the care of their products. It's not like Whirlpool to put a faulty product to market. What is going on? This was careless.

I bought my Whirlpool washer 1 year and 3 months ago. And I am so sorry to say that I agree with every comment I have read so far... I was so happy to get a new Washer and Dryer that matched... But this has been a nightmare .. I have owned many Whirlpool appliances but this is definitely a recall issue that they need to take care of. My washer never pumps and spins out... No matter if I have a small load or a slight bigger one... I always have set my wash on drain and spin to finish the wash... This shouldn't happen!!! Especially on a new washer 1 year old.. So now what do I do?

This is the nastiest, filthiest most disgusting piece of junk I ever owned, comparable to washing in the open sewers of the third world. It could be called a spinning Petri dish if it would agitate. I have been enraged ever since Whirlpool responded to complaints about dirty clothes after washing with the Calypso with "What do you expect? It is an executive machine." The manual did not explain how to get the stains out of clothes put there by grease from the machine's deteriorating parts. The only reliable thing about this dreck bucket is the mold and mildew cycle. Consequences? Years of nasty smelling clothes and linens, infections, breathing problems, headaches, rashes, and an unhealthy living environment. But it saved water.

26 months and I now have piece of junk in the utility room. Part $484 to replace (bearing). Tech says, "Don't Bother. Not cost effective". Whirlpool Corp says there's no recall. Bearing is defective (see YouTube). Called Sears, they'll sent part to a store but I have to schedule a service call, another $100 with possible extra labor. It's a friggin nightmare. Why have a recall when you can just dump the entire series and leave your devoted customer base in the cold i.e. out of $$$?

Tried to talk to someone in Quality Control to report the problem. Whirlpool tells me it's discontinued but won't say when. Apparently the same person who was running the Volkswagen fiasco was in Whirlpool's QC Division. It's obvious they just don't give a damn about the defect/problem. If you find yourself out of a washing machine, well go get another one and see if they stand behind it. If the corporation is trying to bankrupt itself, they're doing a bang-up job! I tried to tell them how angry people were about the bearing... I got nothing... Says a lot about corporations today.

Called Whirlpool regarding 'f1' error on washer. They confirmed online within their system that there was a recall and they dispatched a repair person to replace the controller board for my particular washer, which was documented as a washer covered in the recall. The tech arrived and informs me that there is no auth code to replace the board. Called whirlpool back to get the auth code needed to replace board. Whirlpool states they cannot find the recall. I insist that they look at the log of the initial call and that person found a recall for the issue. Rep on the phone says that he cannot find it and that they will not honor the recall.

Great, so you setup a call to replace a defective controller board for the 'f1' error, reference a recall notice and now they will not honor it. Spoke with the supervisor and received the same response. Poor, bad customer service and unreliable products that they do not stand by. Searched internet and found numerous reports on the internet of this error and that they do have a recall, but at this point they are not standing by their product. We all need to boycott Whirlpool products and send a message to this manufacture. There are other more reliable manufactures out there that value their customers and Whirlpool is not one of them. Going out this weekend and buying new washing machine and dryer - NON whirlpool!

I'm a property manager with 18 pieces of commercial laundry equipment, most of which are Whirlpool. A year and a half ago I bought a new machine from Lowe's for $775 and I'm ready to smash it with the backhoe. For the first failure I bought and installed a lid latch with no success. I had to call an appliance repairman for the first time in 20 years and he replaced the control board for nearly 400 bucks. It happened again and I replaced the control board for 300 bucks and it worked again for awhile but now it's broken down again. What a piece of garbage this thing is. I refuse to put another dime into repairs and am searching for a different brand of washer. If this is how Whirlpool builds things now, forget it. It gets zero stars from me. Don't walk... run away from Whirlpool.

Bought a Cabrio washer. Now, it doesn't spin the water out of the clothes. Have to restart it to get the lid to lock and it shuts off mid wash. Rusting where you put the bleach in at. Piece of junk, wish I never bought it. Wasn't worth the money I paid for it, will just buy a different model next time.

I bought this washing machine one week ago in an emergency as I am recovering from surgery. I wish I had done my homework first. The machine spends an inordinate amount of time "sending," then when it finally does decide to wash, does a poor job and I have to rewash items. This is not saving water. It is using more water than if it had just done the job in the first place. Will try to return this piece of junk ASAP.

Purchased washer and dryer from Sears in Plano, TX in Feb. 2002. Although we still have the gas dryer we junked the washer. When the dryer goes we will never purchase any appliance by Whirlpool or any product associated with Whirlpool. Had to have the sensor replaced and the Thermal fuse because the dryer would not get hot to dry the wet clothes. The baffles need to be cleaned for a third time full of lint. The washer was a joke white clothes came out dingy with grease marks, brown stains, lint deposits and bleach streaks when no bleach was added to wash.

Besides having to replace the motor and pump, we threw out blouses, sheets, bed covers, underclothing and pants due to the stains that we could not remove. Whirlpool offered no real help. They have the worst C/S dept. To reiterate NEVER again will we buy any appliance by or associated with WHIRLPOOL. This Calypso duo is nothing but junk, cheaply made and horrible washing performance.

In June of 2015, my washing machine's water pump went out. I found out that you could not order a replacement part for just the pump. To replace the pump you would now have to replace the motor along with it. I went online to seek the part I needed. I also checked with local suppliers. Everyone had the pump in stock, so they said, but when I ordered it and waited, several weeks, and with several different suppliers or parts, each time I was told the part was discontinued and not available.

When I went to a new parts supplier (who advertised the part's availability), I went through the same process. Pretty frustrating for a someone who needs to get her family's clothes clean. I also feel that the washing machine did really not hold up as long as I thought it should. I think it is not more than 10 years old, maybe only 7 or 8 years old. Not good enough for me, especially when we had just replaced brake and drive tube parts 2 years ago for over 150.00.

I have had this washer for 1 1/2 years. I've had the repair person here 3 times. It still isn't working. I have been without a washer since June 16th. I've called Lowe's and Whirlpool and they just keep giving me the runaround. Very dissatisfied with both companies.

I had purchased a Whirlpool gas dryer Model WGD4800XQ5 on 12/23/14. Almost 3 months old, the motor needs to be replaced, the motor overheats. Whirlpool is selling defective appliances again as they had in the past. They have the worst customer service I had ever dealt with. I am looking for recall information regarding this very poor quality gas dryer being sold for top Dollar. Consumer should be alerted to steer clear of any Whirlpool appliances.

We purchased a Calypso washer and dryer set in 2007 from an appliance store that specialized in Whirlpool products and sold them with a short warranty. The set was maybe a year or two old. We didn't seem to have any problems with the set except for sometimes finding oily spots and streaks on our clothing. I initially attributed that to stuff left in pockets or in the machine by accident, but it started happening too frequently. The kicker was when the washing machine just stopped working during a cycle. It would display LD and water would just sit in the bottom of the drum and under the drum. My husband took it apart, and that's where we nearly lost it. The inside of the machine was filled with black gunk, moldy grossness that freaked us out.

OMG -- we'd been wearing that stuff in our clothing and breathing it. Needless to say, it is being disposed of as I write. I cannot believe that a company as recognizable as Whirlpool does this -- and apparently knowingly from what I've read. Not sure what we can do at this point. But we're replacing the washer and staying as far away from Whirlpool as possible. We had a terrible experience with a brand new microwave that was 18 months old and broke down completely. We replaced that with another brand too. The moral of the story is that Whirlpool is a negligent, very poor manufacturer of household products and should be avoided.

Whirlpool dryer MOD LEQ9508PW1 - I've had this dryer about 3 years and have learned to live with it until recently. I house sat for family that had purchased a GE dryer shortly before I got mine. I had forgot that it didn't have to be torture to wash and dry clothes. This Dryer has ALWAYS bumped and banged after leveling several times. The complaint is, it cuts itself off before the clothes are dry!!!! It will NOT turn back on till it's ready... This causes dark clothes to have a chance to start to smell musty. I've changed the setting several times and no change. This machine is very time consuming and I have no idea why a dryer would be designed to turn off while clothes are still damp. My family's GE dryer didn't do that... It dried the clothes wonderfully. I've been loyal to Whirlpool for 40+ years. Not now. I will never have another Whirlpool product. My washer and dryer are so poorly designed that I will not gamble on another Whirlpool product. This issue has nothing to do with where I purchased it. I am not willing to pay for a tech to tell me it's just the design. I already know that.

I bought this washer and Dryer used from someone online, he was selling them rather cheap due to the washer's pump being bad. I bought the pump brand new off of eBay with a 2 year warranty for $50 including the cost of the warranty. I installed the pump myself and the washer has run great ever since. The washer does leak from around the top of the tub if it gets off balance or I wash something large like a comforter or a large load of laundry but it is nothing serious. I just need to replace the gasket around the top. I am hoping these last because I do like them and I think they do a great job washing the clothes.

OMG..where to begin..I purchased a calypso WASHER and dryer from a friend who was upgrading. They were less than 6 mos.old. I have NEVER EXPERIENCED such a useless set of machines in ALL my life.. My white clothes I could get cleaner by beating them on a rock and the dryer I have to dry my clothes at least 3 or 4 times per load. I will NEVER purchase another Kenmore product EVER.. thank god I only paid 200.00 dollars to my friend for them but I'm finding that my money should have been spent on an old time wringer washer and items to build an outdoor clothesline for drying..At least my clothes would be clean and my electric bill would not be through the roof just trying to get a load of clothes dry..WHAT A WASTE OF MAN POWER TO EVEN BUILD A MONSTROSITY!!!

Paraphrased letter (the original is being mailed to the corporate office) regarding my experience with Whirlpool's Customer Service Department:

Our dryer stopped working on 9/16/14, the tumbler would spin but the unit would not produce any heat. The next day I called the Whirlpool service unit and was told a technician from Diamond Factory Service would make a service call to our home on 9/19/14 between the hours of 8:00 AM and 12:00 PM. When a technician from Diamond Factory Service did not show up within the appointed time, I called Whirlpool and was transferred to Diamond Factory Service who said they had no record of the service call and their next available appointment was not until 9/25/14, which was completely unacceptable.

So, I called back to Whirlpool customer service and told what had happened and I NEED the dryer to be fixed today or if not over the weekend. The customer service rep said the next available appointment wasn't available until Monday (9/22/14). I told her that was unacceptable as my wife and I had to make arrangements to meet the service rep today (9/19/14) and were not sure we would be able to make similar arrangement for 9/22/14. At that time I asked to be transferred to a supervisor and was. Rick was not helpful either. He told me Whirlpool was not able to make compensation for errors on their part. He was very apologetic but not very sympathetic.

My frustration is my dryer failing to work after only 6 years (!) and then the company from whom I purchased it was unable to satisfactorily arrange a simple service call. I asked if Whirlpool would be able to cover the service fee associated with the a service call (typically around $100) and Rick told me no. My wife and I would still pay for parts and services but were looking for some assistance for the fees associated with your company's mistake and the inconvenience to our work schedule (and the requirement that we would further have to arrange our schedule an additional time for an error on your company's part).

So, for about $100 (the amount of the service call) your company has left a customer extremely frustrated and upset. Why should we feel any confidence in buying future Whirlpool products let alone recommend them to anyone? It seems that the opportunity to do the right thing by the customer failed. I hope that your company will attempt to make amends and leave CUSTOMERS pleasantly surprised.

Mdl. # WTW4800XQ4! This washer was bought in September of 2013! Has had the 4th transmission installed as of this date 5/7/2014! While the tech was here on the last service call he put his cell phone down close to the washer so the tech could hear the popping noise. The tech said that he could not hear a thing w/ said washer when you could hear the noise all thru my home! I have now learned that this model has been discontinued! Wonder why?? I think this $414.00 piece of junk should be replaced w/ a better product free of charge!

We have had this washer and dryer set since June 2005. We have never had any issues with it at all. Never had to have it serviced. Barely even did any maintenance on it whatsoever except to occasionally, maybe once or twice a year, adding one of the store bought HE washing machine cleaners. Never damaged any of our clothes. We have three small children and a cat. Have washed everything under the sun including silky delicates, small area rugs, memory foam bathroom mats, waterproof mattress covers, and even queen sized quilts and comforters. We absolutely love these machines and would recommend them to everyone!

Bought the Whirlpool Calypso washer and matching dryer new in 2006 for about $1500. Quickly learned you couldn't wash throw rugs in the washer as it pulled strings from them and clogged the pump. Was able to diagnose and repair that myself, but was disappointed because my previous "low tech" washer had handled those small bathroom rugs just fine. Then came the dryer problems about a year later, started shutting itself off mid-cycle, then eventually refused to start. A $200 control board got the dryer back in business but that only kept it going for another couple years. Tried to save some money by buying and installing another new board myself but that didn't fix it. Faced with another large repair bill/service visit, I pulled the brand new board back out and junked the dryer. Now in the last week, the washer pump is screaming like it is ready to blow up, but after reading all these complaints and recognizing some of the wash quality problems I've been living with, I've decided to replace the washer rather than fix it.

I purchased the Calypso washer and dryer in 2006 and thought it was my detergent that was causing the gray steaks on my clothes and towels. I have to wash and re-wash my towels on gentle cycle to have them come clean w/ bleach. This machine boasts of being a high efficiency (he) machine but I have yet to discover that. I am also not impressed with the capacity load. I thought I could get more clothes in the tub since there is no agitator but not so. The one thing I do like about the machine is the spin cycle which practically takes all the water out of the clothes thus causing less drying time. I have no problem with the dryer only the washer. I am not happy about this at all.

Whirlpool customer service is incompetent, misleading and does not take accountability of the customer experience whatsoever. My brand new dryer (Model #: WGD9750WL1 Serial #: M143 02142) was not drying properly so I called tech support. The customer agent seemed very helpful and without ANY questions asked, offer to send someone over. She said that if the problem was a dryer issue, it will be covered by the warranty. However, if it is not, then "they will fix it but you will have to pay for the cost." Seems reasonable enough. Technician comes, looks at it for 3 minutes and says "We cannot fix it. It's not in the dryer, but that will cost you $130 for the visit!"

Upon further questioning, it appears that the problem is with the dryer vents. The technician apparently cannot fix anything unless it is LITERALLY INSIDE the dyer. They don't bring any other tools or have no other skills, even though dryer vent issues are the most common cause of dyer problems. Calling back Whirlpool, they refused to discuss the issue. Despite them miscommunicating, they say that proper explanation of the terms is not their responsibility. "Our only job here at TECH SUPPORT is to SCHEDULE appointments. If the agent added any other information, they were doing you a favor. All our job involves is SCHEDULING the appointment. All the other information should be in your manual." Call center manager

Asking about a complaints process, all they said is "That is all we will do. We can log on your file that you are unhappy, but we won't do anything else... only next step is to file a complaint to the ATTORNEY GENERAL's office." Whirlpool customer service is glorified Yellow Pages. Worst is that they disguise themselves as a more intelligent service that a customer expects and uses their call center as a revenue lead generation center for their technicians. No wonder they were so happy to send out a technician WITHOUT any questions asked! I am trying to engage Whirlpool in an intelligent conversation, but Whirlpool has refused to continue any discussions.

This was worst mistake that I have made. First we should know that it takes water to wash something. This machine has destroyed my towels and rugs. First I thought it was the towels, but I have bought all priced towels and it is not the towels. It is the machine. I called the company and asked if there were any complaints on the washer. Of course they said no. I told them that it needed to recalled. My washer is not very old, but I am ready to buy another machine. I have friends that work for the company and they have told me to call, call, call until they do something. I should not have to do that. I would like for them to see my towels.

Since having this washer, my clothes come out mildew smelling, and at times it just shuts off. And maybe the next day it will work. The dryer takes twice as long as my ancient dryer. I have called a few times. I am not willing to pay to have them fix their crummy machines, so I will be buying a new set.

Initially, the pump would clog with lint and hair. Since I have pets, this is a particular problem. I replaced the pump multiple times myself, then I started fishing out the hair with a coat hanger. When the pump was redesigned, I replaced the whole pump assembly. That worked well but after that, the motor control board would fail. It seems the redesign was not made for the old control board. They should have redesigned the control board too. I have replaced that board 4 times for $100+ each time. This washer has been nothing but a money pit. I had an old Maytag that failed after 20 and some years, but this washer didn't last 2 before the first repair and it cost a whole lot more than the Maytag. I have a Maytag wringer washer that is still working. The simpler, the better. As many times as people have had problems with these control boards, it would seem someone would have come up with a permanent fix/replacement/redesign, not just replacing the same part to fail again because the root cause was never fixed.

Whirlpool Calypso Washers & Dryers Company Profile