Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

128 Whirlpool Calypso Washers & Dryers Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 16, 2019

To put it bluntly do not by the Whirlpool top loading washers with no agitator. They look like they will wash very large loads but in actuality won’t clean much of anything. The clothes form a “ball” in the bottom and do not get moved around. To whit: I put in a small load of clothes after working in my yard. There were no stains, simply garden dirt. I used CR top rated detergent and bleach. I also used the “deep water” setting as well as the hottest setting offered. The cycle time was well over an hour. To my amazement and shock, the clothes still had dirt on them and the socks looked dirtier than when I put them in. I could have done much better in my kitchen sink with hot water and detergent. Stay away from these machines. Get a good front loader or top loader with agitator. There are plenty of good ones. Don’t get sucked in by a salesman who has never done wash.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I called the service & repair for my washer & dryer that I bought May 2018. The woman I spoke to, she said in her record was May 2017. I have my receipt bought in Best Buy Glendora Ca. She said to show to the technician my receipt when he gets to my house. I said, Okay. I told her the problem on my washer, when I try to turn it on the washer and the light will come on but it will go off right away. It doesn’t start. It happens couple times already. I want them to check it - why it’s doing that.

But the lady said if the technician doesn’t find anything wrong with it and it’s not a machine error, I have to pay the guy. I told her, why would I pay the guy because I want them to check it & service it. The lady said, that’s the way their warranty works. I think this is not right! How would I know if it’s machine error or not. My point is a year manufacturer's warranty. I bought Whirlpool because it’s made here in US. But technically there’s a lot of better washer & dryer brand but I stick to the one made it here. But when it comes overall the company is really worst now. Please let me know if this is right on their warranty.

Get expert buying tips about Washers and Dryers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I got this washer off of Craigslist from someone original owner sense NEW! The complaint was that it was tripping the breaker. So I took it home and tore it all apart and cleaned it up and tested the pump motor and everything was fine. Put it all back together and it magically worked so I think it was a loose wire or something to do with the grounding. Model GVW9959KQ2.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I called Whirlpool about a problem I'm having with my dryer. They said they don't cover discoloration inside the dryer. I said, "Okay. If it's only discoloration, and nothing dangerous is going to happen, I'm okay with that." The man (jerk), on the other end then said that they can't guarantee nothing dangerous is going to happen. I said, "well if you can't guarantee the dryer's safety, you should come and look at it, it's still under the one year warranty." Then, the man on the other end of the phone was very rude and horrible. Never again will I buy any Whirlpool Products! They care only about the money, not the customers!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I bought my washer new in April of 2017. It stopped working just a couple months after the one year warranty expired. Unbelievable!! I paid too much money for a this washer to completely break down so quickly. Guess this way you can keep selling new appliances every few years huh... Thanks. I will never again trust the Whirlpool brand.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I purchased a Whirlpool top load washer model WTW4900BW from Lowe’s in July 2014. Once the original warranty expired I continued to purchase an extended warranty from Whirlpool. My existing warranty is for two years and was purchased in July of this year. On August 22, 2018 the washer stopped working I called Whirlpool Customer Service. After four service calls by two different companies, replacing five major components and costing me four days of work, the washer is still not working as of September 18, 2018.

After the fourth service call and the washer still not working I ask Whirlpool Customer Service at what point do they replace a washer. I talked to a so-called supervisor in Michigan. She told me that customer service did not make that determination that Whirlpool Tech support did. I ask her for the tech support phone number. She said that they did not have the number and that the customer service people did not talk with tech support people.

Within five minutes of our conversation I found the Whirlpool Technical Support number and called them. I was told that the decision to replace a washer is made by Whirlpool Customer Service. I asked if the tech support people ever talked with the customer service people his reply was all the time, every day. I got back with Whirlpool Customer Service and this time I was told that the decision to replace a washer rested with AIG the warranty underwriter. I ask for AIG’s phone number and was told that there was no way to contact AIG.

Just as before within a few minutes I was on the phone with AIG’s warranty people. I ask them the same question about who determined when to replace a washer and got the same answer Whirlpool Customer Service. A few days ago I sent separate emails to Whirlpool’s Customer Relations Manager and The Director, Customer Experience and Consumer Loyalty, to date I have not been contacted by Whirlpool apparently customer apathy starts at the top. If a company’s character is determined by the way it treats customers after the sale, then in my opinion Whirlpool is lacking.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

We bought a pair of Whirlpool Duet washer and dryer. Dryer is fine. Washer has never worked! Called for support and purchased a new computer board, same result. I called once again and was sent a motor. Neither was any help. I know there's a real history of problems with this model and have never heard from Whirlpool about any solution! That piece of junk is sitting in a garage waiting for Whirlpool to make it right. My guess is it will never see a productive day. I used to think Whirlpool was one of the better brands. I will never think that again, I will do my best to prevent anyone else getting bent over.

Original review: June 19, 2018

Had dryer for about 2-1/2 years and it started to just shut-off. Had service person check it out and said it had power error. He suggested we have electrical checked out - they found no problem. Contacted service again and they changed one of the circuit boards - still had same problem. Put board back in and changed other main circuit board - still same problem. Had electrical checked again - no problem found. My wife contacted Whirlpool and was told they would allow us to buy another dryer direct from them at 50% discount. My wife asked if she could discuss various models with me and then call back to order. Rep said that was fine and everything would be noted in our record. My wife called back a few days later and there was no record. They still gave a discount but not the 50% that was promised. Very very disappointed.

Original review: June 15, 2017

Whirlpool Vantage (Cabrio with Touch Screen Controls). Washer Model: WTW7990XG0 Washer Serial: C03770030. Dryer Model: WED7790XG0 Dryer Serial: M03101325. My Vantage washer/dryer was purchased in 2011. Before the year was out I noticed that the washer would turn on for no reason. Then I had trouble with the dryer needing calibration every time I used it.

Not long after the washer touch screen would not respond AT ALL. I tried the USB device that came with the pair because I was told by the salesman that it contained the firmware in case it ever needed re-installing That was when I knew that MY NEW (nearly) $4000 "HIGH END LAUNDRY SYSTEM" WAS JUST THE SAME MACHINES Whirlpool sells FOR LESS THAN $600! Only controlled by a cheap 7" tablet for a touch screen instead of a knob!

The repair: Just the part was over $500 each before tax, service and shipping for each machine (x2) so I decided to take a look for myself. When I took the control panel off, the printed circuit board had separated completely from the touch screen! It was just stuck on with double sided tape! And instead of being wired together, the two parts depended on conductive printed ink and compression contacts to register a touch signal (in order to operate)! Even more incriminating, Whirlpool changed the design correcting this very issue before discontinuing this line altogether. Showing they knew it was a serious design flaw. Their support department offered to "extend" my warranty for (I think) $280.00 per unit for 6 months HA! Finally after years of complaints they offered 50% off a new Whirlpool Washer/Dryer set (Fool me once...).

Original review: June 3, 2017

Dryer performance - I purchased this dryer in mid February 2017. My old dryer which with the Kenmore bought on Craigslist for about $125 lasted approximately 12/2 years. During the first week of June 2017 my dryer is blowing cold air. I have two warranties on this product. I was told I need to wait at least a week before they can come out. I am a widow and I work long hours to support myself. I cannot guarantee I will be home during these times they are coming out. I talked to a supervisor at Whirlpool and she got snippy with me. I will never buy another Whirlpool product again. Your customer service is horrible. Also a product that stops working efficiently during the first few months is shoddy at best. My advice is stay away from Whirlpool. Their customer service is a joke. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2017

Cabrio washer starts sporadically. At times will just spin and turn off. Restart machine, will add water, turn off, then drain. Did not agitate. Maybe on 4th try will run thru complete cycle. When does run doesn't seem to clean clothes. Can't count times I would start, walk away and come back an hour later to find machine cut off and did nothing. This machine is junk.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2016

WHIRLPOOL CABRIO WASHER: This washer is horrible. It will not wash anything. It completely stops for no reason with about 8 minutes left. You have to unplug it to get it to continue and waste more water on the 13-minute setting just to get it to spin the water out. Then during that last few minutes it makes a screeching sound as loud as a train.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2016

Anyone have a Calypso washing machine that drains vs filling both wash and rinse cycles. I purchased 2nd hand Calypso wash/dryer set 6 years ago at an auction for cheap. It worked ok, but never got the clothes clean enough. We limped along. Now, for both wash and rinse, when tub is filling, all water is simultaneously draining out. Cycles are super short followed by spin. If it's just a screw loose, etc, maybe we'll repair while we hunt down replacement.

Original review: June 2, 2016

Bought this washer because its large tub size - even purchased extended warranty. Within 1 month my problems started, called for repair, repairman basically told me that more than likely it wasn't going to be covered & I would be responsible for paying him. I told him "Don't come." Ended up being a tiny screw had stopped pump from turning & the pump for this gigantic washer is about size of my fist. Now my clothes are not being cleaned & after seeing so many other people with same problem I can't believe it. We always buy Whirlpool but never the extended warranty & never have had problems until now.

Every appliance in our home is Whirlpool & the stove & dishwasher not even 2 years old but I am considering replacing everything with another brand. I can't afford to put my trust in a company that will not stand behind their products. I also usually buy everything at Lowe's but even they aren't what they used to be. I would've done better by going to a second-hand appliance store & that is sad, at least most of them do offer a free 30 guarantee & my brand new washer didn't make it 30 days.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2016

I called 1 866 6982538 about problem. He said to try different speed levels. Washers washed for one hour and still too wet for dryer so I took out one sheet and tried again. This is a waste of energy and water. There were only top flannel and fitted sheet and 4 pillowcases in the washer. This was bought on 12-28-15. What next?

Original review: Jan. 13, 2016

7.3 cu.ft. Duet Electric Steam Dryer stopped working 12/2/15, repair of control panel not connected possibly happened with transport (yeah right) then on 12/19/15 it flashed CF1 code. Needed new control panel (really it worked a little over a month), part is back-ordered, repair person is supposed to come tomorrow :( I have sat home a total of 4 days waiting for repair people. Whirlpool will not replace machine. Bad customer service.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2016

Upset that they sold me a bum washer, and will not replaced it. Washer is 3 years and it's short, I use it on a regular basis, don't abuse it. The tub and bearings need to be replaced. It's only 3 years old and I have a platinum model. I called and they said they expect their products to last more than 3 years, but man made

and I got bad luck.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2016

Basically I was just drying my clothes and the dryer started smoking and it caught fire. It left like a burn mark. And I love whirlpool, but it seems as if they have been lacking in customer service and the care of their products. It's not like Whirlpool to put a faulty product to market. What is going on? This was careless.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2015

I bought my Whirlpool washer 1 year and 3 months ago. And I am so sorry to say that I agree with every comment I have read so far... I was so happy to get a new Washer and Dryer that matched... But this has been a nightmare .. I have owned many Whirlpool appliances but this is definitely a recall issue that they need to take care of. My washer never pumps and spins out... No matter if I have a small load or a slight bigger one... I always have set my wash on drain and spin to finish the wash... This shouldn't happen!!! Especially on a new washer 1 year old.. So now what do I do?

Original review: Nov. 12, 2015

This is the nastiest, filthiest most disgusting piece of junk I ever owned, comparable to washing in the open sewers of the third world. It could be called a spinning Petri dish if it would agitate. I have been enraged ever since Whirlpool responded to complaints about dirty clothes after washing with the Calypso with "What do you expect? It is an executive machine." The manual did not explain how to get the stains out of clothes put there by grease from the machine's deteriorating parts. The only reliable thing about this dreck bucket is the mold and mildew cycle. Consequences? Years of nasty smelling clothes and linens, infections, breathing problems, headaches, rashes, and an unhealthy living environment. But it saved water.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2015

26 months and I now have piece of junk in the utility room. Part $484 to replace (bearing). Tech says, "Don't Bother. Not cost effective". Whirlpool Corp says there's no recall. Bearing is defective (see YouTube). Called Sears, they'll sent part to a store but I have to schedule a service call, another $100 with possible extra labor. It's a friggin nightmare. Why have a recall when you can just dump the entire series and leave your devoted customer base in the cold i.e. out of $$$?

Tried to talk to someone in Quality Control to report the problem. Whirlpool tells me it's discontinued but won't say when. Apparently the same person who was running the Volkswagen fiasco was in Whirlpool's QC Division. It's obvious they just don't give a damn about the defect/problem. If you find yourself out of a washing machine, well go get another one and see if they stand behind it. If the corporation is trying to bankrupt itself, they're doing a bang-up job! I tried to tell them how angry people were about the bearing... I got nothing... Says a lot about corporations today.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2015

Called Whirlpool regarding 'f1' error on washer. They confirmed online within their system that there was a recall and they dispatched a repair person to replace the controller board for my particular washer, which was documented as a washer covered in the recall. The tech arrived and informs me that there is no auth code to replace the board. Called whirlpool back to get the auth code needed to replace board. Whirlpool states they cannot find the recall. I insist that they look at the log of the initial call and that person found a recall for the issue. Rep on the phone says that he cannot find it and that they will not honor the recall.

Great, so you setup a call to replace a defective controller board for the 'f1' error, reference a recall notice and now they will not honor it. Spoke with the supervisor and received the same response. Poor, bad customer service and unreliable products that they do not stand by. Searched internet and found numerous reports on the internet of this error and that they do have a recall, but at this point they are not standing by their product. We all need to boycott Whirlpool products and send a message to this manufacture. There are other more reliable manufactures out there that value their customers and Whirlpool is not one of them. Going out this weekend and buying new washing machine and dryer - NON whirlpool!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2015

I'm a property manager with 18 pieces of commercial laundry equipment, most of which are Whirlpool. A year and a half ago I bought a new machine from Lowe's for $775 and I'm ready to smash it with the backhoe. For the first failure I bought and installed a lid latch with no success. I had to call an appliance repairman for the first time in 20 years and he replaced the control board for nearly 400 bucks. It happened again and I replaced the control board for 300 bucks and it worked again for awhile but now it's broken down again. What a piece of garbage this thing is. I refuse to put another dime into repairs and am searching for a different brand of washer. If this is how Whirlpool builds things now, forget it. It gets zero stars from me. Don't walk... run away from Whirlpool.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2015

Bought a Cabrio washer. Now, it doesn't spin the water out of the clothes. Have to restart it to get the lid to lock and it shuts off mid wash. Rusting where you put the bleach in at. Piece of junk, wish I never bought it. Wasn't worth the money I paid for it, will just buy a different model next time.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2015

I bought this washing machine one week ago in an emergency as I am recovering from surgery. I wish I had done my homework first. The machine spends an inordinate amount of time "sending," then when it finally does decide to wash, does a poor job and I have to rewash items. This is not saving water. It is using more water than if it had just done the job in the first place. Will try to return this piece of junk ASAP.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2015

Purchased washer and dryer from Sears in Plano, TX in Feb. 2002. Although we still have the gas dryer we junked the washer. When the dryer goes we will never purchase any appliance by Whirlpool or any product associated with Whirlpool. Had to have the sensor replaced and the Thermal fuse because the dryer would not get hot to dry the wet clothes. The baffles need to be cleaned for a third time full of lint. The washer was a joke white clothes came out dingy with grease marks, brown stains, lint deposits and bleach streaks when no bleach was added to wash.

Besides having to replace the motor and pump, we threw out blouses, sheets, bed covers, underclothing and pants due to the stains that we could not remove. Whirlpool offered no real help. They have the worst C/S dept. To reiterate NEVER again will we buy any appliance by or associated with WHIRLPOOL. This Calypso duo is nothing but junk, cheaply made and horrible washing performance.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2015

In June of 2015, my washing machine's water pump went out. I found out that you could not order a replacement part for just the pump. To replace the pump you would now have to replace the motor along with it. I went online to seek the part I needed. I also checked with local suppliers. Everyone had the pump in stock, so they said, but when I ordered it and waited, several weeks, and with several different suppliers or parts, each time I was told the part was discontinued and not available.

When I went to a new parts supplier (who advertised the part's availability), I went through the same process. Pretty frustrating for a someone who needs to get her family's clothes clean. I also feel that the washing machine did really not hold up as long as I thought it should. I think it is not more than 10 years old, maybe only 7 or 8 years old. Not good enough for me, especially when we had just replaced brake and drive tube parts 2 years ago for over 150.00.

Original review: July 6, 2015

I have had this washer for 1 1/2 years. I've had the repair person here 3 times. It still isn't working. I have been without a washer since June 16th. I've called Lowe's and Whirlpool and they just keep giving me the runaround. Very dissatisfied with both companies.

Original review: March 18, 2015

I had purchased a Whirlpool gas dryer Model WGD4800XQ5 on 12/23/14. Almost 3 months old, the motor needs to be replaced, the motor overheats. Whirlpool is selling defective appliances again as they had in the past. They have the worst customer service I had ever dealt with. I am looking for recall information regarding this very poor quality gas dryer being sold for top Dollar. Consumer should be alerted to steer clear of any Whirlpool appliances.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2014

We purchased a Calypso washer and dryer set in 2007 from an appliance store that specialized in Whirlpool products and sold them with a short warranty. The set was maybe a year or two old. We didn't seem to have any problems with the set except for sometimes finding oily spots and streaks on our clothing. I initially attributed that to stuff left in pockets or in the machine by accident, but it started happening too frequently. The kicker was when the washing machine just stopped working during a cycle. It would display LD and water would just sit in the bottom of the drum and under the drum. My husband took it apart, and that's where we nearly lost it. The inside of the machine was filled with black gunk, moldy grossness that freaked us out.

OMG -- we'd been wearing that stuff in our clothing and breathing it. Needless to say, it is being disposed of as I write. I cannot believe that a company as recognizable as Whirlpool does this -- and apparently knowingly from what I've read. Not sure what we can do at this point. But we're replacing the washer and staying as far away from Whirlpool as possible. We had a terrible experience with a brand new microwave that was 18 months old and broke down completely. We replaced that with another brand too. The moral of the story is that Whirlpool is a negligent, very poor manufacturer of household products and should be avoided.

Whirlpool Calypso Washers & Dryers Company Information