3.8/5 (164 ratings)

About Viking Ranges

Viking is a luxury appliance manufacturer that offers high-performance ranges, refrigerators, dishwashers and more. Its ranges are available in a variety of burner configurations, sizes and fuel types. Customers see the widest variety of options with Viking gas ranges or dual-fuel models. Viking electric ranges or induction ranges have fewer size or configuration options, but these models are still feature-rich and can be customized by color.

Pros

• Luxury designs and materials
  • Customizable
  • Long-lasting
  • Promotional offers and rebates

Cons

• Limited pricing transparency
  • Expensive

Bottom Line

Viking is a U.S.-based luxury appliance manufacturer. It sells ranges in different sizes, burner configurations and fuel types. Its products can be expensive, but they’re designed to last.

Viking Ranges Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Viking Ranges?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Viking?

Original review: June 1, 2022

We just sold our big house and we bought a home that needed a handyman special. Viking has such a nice reputation so we went with them even though it was an upgrade. They were offering a free dishwasher if you purchased the package so that helped out. Unfortunately, we've had a lot of problems. The refrigerator door and the dishwasher door were dented. They said they would get us a new door. But this was a brand new dishwasher and we wanted a new one instead of a new door. We fought for that. For the refrigerator, we got a new door for that.

The range and microwave went in fine. I called when I thought something was wrong with the stove but it was my fault because I wasn't aligning up the burner thing correctly so it was clicking. They then told me the brand new oven needed a recall for parts. A guy came to do that and he messed up the range because it's not even anymore. With the door, you can barely see through on one side of the handle. There's a big gap on the other side. I was not happy with the repair job. They came back out and they fixed it again. They fixed the bottom part but they didn't fix the issue by the door part. They said, “We have to find out from Viking if that meets the minimum spec” to be out of alignment. That was not fair. I just bought these new expensive appliances and I didn't deserve that.

The range is a very big investment and you want it 100% because we are really giving attention to detail because it's our home. We're retired and we want everything to be lovely. I shouldn't have an inferior product. A tech came back then left. I was not happy with this and it was ridiculous. I called back and it's taken over a month now. Techs will be coming back Wednesday with the parts to fix the door. Hopefully, the oven door will not be out of alignment.

Original review: May 31, 2022

I bought a Viking range because it came with a matching microwave, which is over the top. The microwave is okay. But I'm not too thrilled with the range. The drip tray is a little janky and the heat-up process inside is a little bit strange with how it turns on and off. Viking had a recall, which was a big pain with the gas line. The appliances are not made as well as they used to. We had to be six weeks without the internal cooking. We could still use the top part, which at least was helpful.

It was COVID and I understood the delays. It was mainly the company that they had to work with here in Northern Virginia. A person then came and did a 40-minute repair. It may or may not have been leaking gas before. It was really just a safety measure. I have a gas monitor on the first floor. I didn't get any beeps before, so I don't even know if ours was affected. But it was in the made date range where we had to change it. On the whole, if Viking is going to be close to Sub-Zero or Wolf ranges in terms of prices, they need to be better. Other than that, the range top is good. But I would have rather had steel burners. That was my mistake as I didn't research further.

Original review: May 30, 2022

I was a manufacturer rep for Wolf and Viking ranges just for restaurants. The older I got, we wanted a nice high-end option that would help with resell of our house if we ever sold it. I love to cook and I like how the gas works on the Viking Ranges. I also wanted to have a specialized color on it. That was a nice option. But the quality of the one we got is horrendous. We have had a serviceperson out four times. Now, we have a recall and we have been waiting for the parts. That finally came in and a tech came out to fix the range. I have not been able to use my actual oven portion on either side for two months. The tech said he had to order other parts because when it was put together in the factory, all the screws were stripped and he had no way to get it apart to fix it.

On top of that, the representative never told us anything about how to season the griddle top. I can't use the griddle top either because it's rusted. That is ultimately my fault but there was no support that came with it. It came with scratches on it as well. The pieces have since been replaced. Inside the smaller oven, it wouldn't heat up to the correct heat. It's been the worst experience for something that we spent over $13,000 on. I'm in absolute shock.

Lakeside Appliance was our third-party contact and it's been okay. I have told them probably 10 different times to contact me with any appointment updates. I kept contacting my contractor and that's been a pain. We've been canceled on a couple of times. I understand if somebody is sick but I don't feel it's acceptable when they cancel in the morning of when we've been sitting on these parts that had to be put in.

We got a Viking refrigerator as well and we’ve had techs out three times. The ice maker stopped working and I went online to see what problems people have had. It was just basic. We had to reset all the breakers and it started off again. The door came broken and the spring was not working. The fan was really loud too. There are pieces that were not put together correctly on the fan. We waited so long to get this in the first place. It's been an absolute nightmare.

Original review: May 23, 2022

I wanted a dual fuel and a simmer burner with a gas top. I did a Viking and the purchasing process took a long time because of COVID. So far, I really like the racks in the oven. I have propane so it burns hotter than gas does. It came with the correct orifices and it seems to simmer way better than my other gas range. I can put it on simmer and it won't boil. It doesn't burn as hot as most ranges do, which I like. I can go low or high. It has more temperature control. I also got a free dishwasher when I ordered the range and I really like it. It's quiet. I just had a little problem when there was a part missing. I called in and it was hard to get customer service.

Original review: May 22, 2022

I have a love-hate relationship with my Viking range. When I got it, the oven wouldn't turn on. When I finally got it to turn on, it would shut off. When it went to reheat itself, it wouldn't re-light. All I smelled was leaking gas. I had to have the company order the parts for it. A guy came out and he said there was something wrong with the burner and that I may have been given a refurbished oven. The other issue was the broiler wouldn't work. When the guy took that apart, the igniter was hanging off the top of the oven. It wasn't even screwed into the oven so of course, it wasn't gonna light. The range has been pretty much a bit of a hassle.

I dealt with the appliance company that fixes the appliance. The only thing that they didn't do was one of the grates on top. There was a metal piece that goes into the top of the oven to hold it in place and it showed up broken. Their guy claims he ordered one but that never came in. I'm still waiting to hear back from them. That aside, I like the stove part on top because it heats up pretty fast and it looks good. So, those are the two things that I like about it.

Original review: May 21, 2022

I like that Viking is made in the US. I got their product and the appliance vendor provided good delivery to my apartment. We paid a lot of money for this product and that's why I have to enjoy it. I like the way Viking makes very solid products. It's stainless steel and it's a heavy professional grade.

Original review: May 20, 2022

I had a Viking range for about 15 years and I’m miffed. I thought my new one would be like the previous one, but it's crap. On my stove where you turn on the knobs, the etching was missing. They had to replace the whole front of the stove and that took months. Then I got a couple of calls from somebody at Viking. They wanted to know if I was willing to just take a couple of hundred dollars to make it go away with the stove. I bought it because I thought it would look nice and that it would function. I don't want to see, every time I look at the stove, that it's missing the etchings on one of the knobs. So, it has not been the experience that I had hoped. I was disappointed with the whole experience.

Original review: May 19, 2022

When you do the grill in the middle of the Viking range, it takes forever to turn on, and sometimes, it doesn't turn on at all. So, I have to shut it off and reignite it again a couple of times to get it to work. I’m not sure if that's the ignition problem or if that's how it’s designed.

Original review: May 18, 2022

We bought Viking appliances through Build.com. We ran into problems with them and I would have liked to have gone back to someone that we could physically access. But the range is fine.

Original review: May 17, 2022

I’ve known about Viking for years and I decided to buy the appliances to put in my house. I was underwhelmed that all the appliances seem to be a lot flimsier than it used to be. When you ignite the flame on the range, my Kenmore puts out a nicer flame than the Viking does. A couple of the parts on my refrigerator and my dishwasher were damaged as well. I've been waiting since last July to get parts. They're estimating an arrival time of August, which I already have renters in the house for that time. The appliances are not going to be fixed for my rental season and I'm not happy about that. Also, Viking was offering a 5% cashback incentive when you bought a certain amount of dollars of Viking products, and they refused to give it to me on my refrigerator. They said I underpaid for my refrigerator based on what the dealership sold it to me for, but that’s not my fault. That’s pretty grimy.

Original review: May 15, 2022

Viking Ranges are supposed to work perfectly. So, I feel like I got taken with this $12,000 oven that I bought. It has its good points but I don’t understand why the proof function that supposedly exists doesn't work at all. It is advertised as having a proof setting and there is none. I bake bread every week and I can’t proof it in the oven the way I normally do. Someone came out to look at it and they said it's within the range of normal. I’ve got the same kind of answers from the customer service that this is the way it’s supposed to work. And you’re supposed to put the stuff for the broiler all the way down at the very bottom and hope that it works. Also, the gold metal on the grates gets tarnished the minute you use the stove and I have to do a special cleaning job in order to fix it. The stovetop is, generally, otherwise fine, though the oven part is a little uneven the way it cooks.

Original review: May 5, 2022

When I first purchased my first Viking built in double ovens more than 12 years ago, I was so excited. Over the last 12 years, the computer board failed after four years (2700.00)...the first time...and failed again about 2 years ago...so we were left with just one of the double ovens working. Instead of having it repaired (again), we decided to upgrade since we were remodeling our entire house. So last May 2021 we purchased the new 30" Electric Double French-Door Oven for around 11,000.00. Of course, Covid caused everything to be delayed.

First we were told the company that painted the ovens went under and so Viking had to find another company that could match the paint. So that is understandable. We were told the ovens would be delivered December of 2021...so we waited. We asked for delivery in January of 2022 and we were then told, the ovens would not be available until December of 2022...What? We were willing to wait some but not that long...(Cafe makes great ovens now with cameras on the inside and fully smart with wifi hookup...and if you are a baker like me...that is a wonderful asset to have). But I do like Viking and we were notified that we were now second on the list and the ovens would be delivered in April 2022...and they were. They were installed and upon turning them on...we received a message, "F03." So neither oven worked...

Viking wanted to send out a serviceman to fix the problem...Why would new 11,000.00 ovens need service on day one? NOPE...We want them replaced. So now we are told the ovens may be available in September of 2022...Well Cafe is looking really good and much cheaper...especially since I have all of their other wifi enabled appliances. One other thing...we noticed that the French doors were crooked...The installer said that is because the box Viking is housed in was not completely square? Could that be another flaw?

We will try to wait until September...however, if the ovens come like the last one...I will be sending it back and not purchasing Viking anymore. It seems that standards have diminished to the degree that the cost may not be worth the risk in purchasing Viking anymore. But I will wait until September to see if this was a fluke or this is the new trademark of the Viking Corporation.

Original review: May 4, 2022

I cook for parties in our home and I really like Viking very much. It's a wonderful brand. My mom has had a 48-inch Viking range for years, and it's been lovely. They're workhorses, but I can only have a 36-inch. That's as large a stove can be for me. My husband found a range on Facebook Marketplace. It was in a neighboring town and we bought it last fall, but I should have done more homework. The look is gorgeous, but I do not like the design of the griddle aspect on top. I know there are people who love that griddle, but I'd rather have burners. That's a consumer choice I made though.

I knew I was not a fan of the griddle from my own personal experience with another range, but I ignored it, thinking, “Oh, I can work around that.” I loved the electronic igniter feature. It's wonderful. My old stove was a Wolf out of a restaurant, so I’d lit it every time for 30 years. I also have double French door ovens on another wall, so I didn't really need to have the Viking unit. However, I use really large pans, and I love the fact that I can put a full sheet pan in the oven. I also love the roll outs and I like all the lights. It's really cool. It gets up to temp, but it does not hold temp. It will get up there and stay for 30 minutes and it doesn't necessarily turn itself off, but for whatever reason, it stops heating up. I need to track down what the problem is with the oven, and I need to reach out to Viking. Overall, I've had other Viking appliances, and I would recommend them very much. However, the design of this particular stovetop, not at all.

Original review: May 3, 2022

Everything was broken on the Viking range when I got it. The door wouldn't close, the hinge was broken, the oven wouldn't get up to temperature, the burners wouldn't light, and the fan in the back was running like crazy. But they made good on it. They sent a really smart guy here many times. Other companies don't send repair people that know what they're doing but Viking did. It's a nice level of customer service I felt and the range is working great now.

Original review: May 2, 2022

I owned a Viking range previously and I liked the quality. So, I purchased a second one. I like the look of it.

Original review: May 1, 2022

The cooking is very even with the Viking range and the convection fan is still working. So, everything seems to be working well. It preheats fast and then seems to maintain its heat.

Original review: April 30, 2022

The quality of the Viking range was what we expected and the racks are easy to clean. We also bought a dishwasher, a refrigerator and a microwave, and we had nothing but trouble with the refrigerator and the dishwasher. The stove was fine though we had trouble with the grates on the stove. They rusted underneath.

Original review: April 28, 2022

We moved into a new home that was fully outfitted with Viking appliances. I've always thought of Viking as top of the line, amazing. It looks pretty, but our dishwasher, our fridge, every appliance I can name has issues. So, I'm not happy with it. I've had them come twice to repair things, and both times, they're back to being the same. My fridge has no drawers for vegetables because they keep coming off the track. So, I just took them out. So, I have a $10,000 refrigerator with no drawers.

That is my frustration now. They're very hard to get ahold of. I have the warranty, I filled out all the paperwork online. The ones we have are the top-of-the-line Viking. My stove and fridge are both $8,000 to $10,000 apiece. My dishwasher is nice. The only thing that works is the range, and the microwave is good. Other than that, nothing else is good. Do your research and go with another one of their competitors.

Original review: April 27, 2022

The installation of the range was done by my plumber and it seemed like they had no problem doing it. So, in general, it was a great experience prior to actual usage. Everything was straightforward. But I've had a lot of issues with my Viking fridge that I purchased and the range. I hear this big pop when the range would get to a certain temperature and when I turn it back below the temperature, it would make that pop again. It was like a piece that was loose. So, I called the warranty provider. They showed up and did some work to fix it and everything works. But I still hear a little bit of noise. The guy said that’s how it is. It's like this one plate in the bottom of it inside the oven should be attached differently and the guy said that he has seen this a couple of times. They did some patchwork. So, I'm still not thrilled by it but it's not as egregious as it was the last time.

The other thing that I'm not thrilled about with the Viking range is there's a little ledge where the stovetop is and it's stainless steel but it's already scratched, and we've only had it for five months. So, that was a bit frustrating as well. Some of the parts for the fridge that needed to get replaced took a while to come in. But that's just the nature of the world we live in right now. So, in general, everything was just okay.

Original review: April 26, 2022

It took months for the range to get delivered. I was called by the people that I purchased it from to see if I still wanted it. Then, when it came, it proved to be another challenge. I was told that there's a tendency for the front panel to heat up. A neighbor has a Viking and that doesn't happen to his so after a few service calls, I just left it at that and nobody was open to exchanging it. I'm getting used to it but I'm not really pleased. It's been a little touch-and-go with the range and more so with the service provider. There've been a lot of hiccups along the way.

Original review: April 25, 2022

We chose Viking appliances because I felt like they were sturdily built, they're gonna last forever, and I like the look of them. The range we got showed up damaged so we had to schedule a repair right out of the gate. We also had a recall for some gas tubing. They shipped us the parts and we called when the parts came in. Then, they sent somebody out to do that. That was good. The range has been in and out there a couple of times but overall, we're happy with its performance. We also had an issue with the first dishwasher we got from Viking and they had to completely swap that unit out. And the refrigerator took almost 10 months to get, so that was difficult.

Original review: April 24, 2022

I like the way the oven racks glide out and the way the top of the range is all cast irons. Also, the knobs are really like beefy, they're really high quality. It does take a little bit of care because I gotta take those heavy grates off to clean underneath them but I knew that going in and it's really not a big deal. And because I went with such a higher quality stove and range from what I had before, the cooking experience has been different for me and it's been a learning curve.

Original review: April 23, 2022

Everything looks and works excellent. I love it, although it is too damn expensive.

Original review: April 22, 2022

We're very happy with the Viking range. The only issue that I have, which I think is a major issue and would have swayed my purchase to another brand, is that I purchased the hood and the hood came with no mounting hardware. I ended up having to pay somebody to do a makeshift structural mounting piece put on my ceiling. That was kind of crappy that I wasn't able to mount the hood that I purchased. But other than that, everything has been really good. I can tell the stove is almost commercial grade. That's one of my favorite features of the product line.

Original review: April 21, 2022

The first Viking range that I received was not working properly. The drip tray was broken. There were two of the stove parts that weren't lighting up. I was very disappointed with just buying something that cost so much money, and then not having it working properly. It was from the start and then, we had to wait a few months to get another range. Then, when they delivered it, the same thing. I had a problem with the pilot for the oven wasn't working. It worked the first day when they delivered it. But the second time I went to turn on the oven, that wasn't working at all. I had to get service back again and that, obviously, takes a long time. I'm completely regretting buying any kind of Viking product at this point.

Original review: April 20, 2022

Overall, it's a good stove. The only issue I don't like about it is the cleaning on the top. It's so hard to clean not only the grates but the black enamel. If you don't clean it right away, it's very difficult to clean after the fact. That, I wasn't expecting. With the other stoves, you wiped it down and you were done.

Original review: April 19, 2022

My wife is a pretty prolific cooker and she wanted a range that had the old-style open burners. She wanted all the burners to be the same and to have a full range of heat or no heat and that she would control all of that herself. She's quite pleased with the way the Viking range performs and the fact that these burners are very flexible that she can use them as she chooses instead of being pre-determined for a particular use.

The quality has been excellent, although we did have to have a service call because my wife noticed that the thermometer indication was very different from what the oven was set at. The qualified Viking servicer closest to us took the call and came out after we had contacted the service department through the Viking 800 number. The tech knew exactly what to do and the problem was just a little bit of calibration. He made a few adjustments to the oven and he also coached my wife about how it takes a little longer to heat up and to do the pre-heating. After that, we've had no problems at all.

Original review: April 18, 2022

We loved our old Viking 6-burner stove and cook often, but the stove was becoming worn out. Instead of buying a new range and stove, we decided to repair our Viking by replacing a number of parts to the cost of almost $2000. Among the parts we bought, we purchased new 6 new stove-top grates. When we received the grates there was some bubbling on the surface enamel which we assumed was a minor defect. But now, less than 2 years later, the enamel coating has burned off in sections and we have horrible-looking rust spots on the grates. When I called Viking direct, they said I waited too long and that they would not replace the grates, but would sell me new ones for another $750. What a poor response to a loyal Viking user.

Original review: April 18, 2022

The Viking range is really good. The burners and the grates are superior to the brand we had before.

Original review: April 16, 2022

When we first got the stove, the oven never cooked right. Whatever I would put in the oven, I never knew how it was gonna turn out and I had to constantly watch it. I had to stay around the house and watch to see if it was cooking. If you try a new recipe, it's like, “What temperature should I use?” I put up with it for years. Finally, the enamel inside started to wear off. I had to get in touch with Viking because I was really annoyed with it. I had these issues after all that money I spent on the unit. The quality was terrible.

A guy came out and goes, “I'm gonna have to change. I'm gonna have to up it.” He would find that the temperature was always off. And then the warranty ran up so it got too expensive. It was a long process but they finally agreed to replace it. I was happy to get it replaced. But I had to spend close to $2,000 to get it replaced and have the new one put in and I'm not happy with that. I'm not going to get Viking again. The stove that we have now is working and it's cooking like a regular oven.

Viking Ranges Company Information