Viking Wine Cellars

Compare Wine Refrigerators & Coolers

Research top Wine Refrigerators & Coolers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I bought two full-size Viking wine refrigerators in 2006 on the recommendation from a saleswoman at a large appliance store. I previously owned a Sub Zero wine refrigerator (which I was going to re-buy) and a Gaggenau wine refrigerator. The Viking wine refrigerators were expensive ($6,000 each in 2006) and approximately the same price as the other two wine refrigerators. They worked fairly well until 2015 when I had the SAME ISSUE with both. They would lose the ability to keep the temperature cool. There are several issues with this. First of all, I am not always at home to hear the alarm going off. Next, they heat your wine instead of cooling it. Then, the repairs are approximately $1,500 for each repair which does not take care of the issue. Another issue is that you must take all of the wine out of the refrigerator to have it serviced. I had some very expensive wine stored in both refrigerators and had to remove all wine five times!

Once the refrigerators were "fixed," the problem reoccurred again within a few months, not once but FOUR TIMES! Something as expensive as a wine refrigerator should last at least 20 years (like the Sub Zero and Gaggenau have). There is no way of fixing the issue permanently and no one at Viking will call or discuss the issue. I called the appliance store where I bought them and they are trying to help me with the issue. So far, more than a month has passed and I have heard nothing. In the meantime, summer is approaching and the refrigerator is again heating my wine to more than 75 degrees. I would never, ever again buy a Viking product.

I just finished reading some of the reviews for Viking. I wish I came to this site first and did some investigative work. We have had problems with all 3 major appliances - 48-inch fridge, wine cooler and cooktop. Viking does nothing to help, local service guys are the worst and our 48-inch fridge leaks all over the floor daily filling up the tray underneath. I have written letters, stomped my feet and shaken my fists. WARNING TO ANYONE BUYING THIS STUFF!!! RUN RUN RUN IN THE OTHER DIRECTION. You are better off buying Sears appliances than Viking. You will lose money.

Viking '24 wine cooler. What a piece of junk. I paid over $3,000 for this unit about 8 years ago for a weekend house. It broke after seven years. Estimated cost to repair was over $1,400 because the entire cooling system failed. Unit looks brand new because it has only been lightly used. I did not repair it. Bought a new wine cooler from Home Depot for about $550. Also, I have a 30 year old Sub-Zero refrigerator with no problems. Ever. Just vacuum the compressor every few months. Friends have all complained about how poorly made Viking products can be. Buy Sub-Zero (cooling) or Wolf or DCS (cooking) and avoid Viking products.

We are wine lovers and collect expensive wines and thought Viking would be a good choice to keep our wines secure. We have had nothing but problems and expense fixing this machine. The compressor went out 4 months after we bought the unit on one of the zones. Now it is out of warranty and we have had nothing but appliance repair people in our home trying to fix this machine with again new compressors that we are paying thousands of dollars for. It sometimes takes as long as a month to get it repaired. So you wine drinkers out there know what that does to your wine. We live in Florida so it makes it worse with our heat and humidity. I would not suggest that anyone buy a Viking wine cooler. This will be our 3rd compressor and let's see how long it takes this time to get a new compressor in. VERY, VERY UNHAPPY WITH VIKING!!!!

We have had, I suppose, better fortune than some. We bought a complete Viking kitchen about 10 years ago including an expensive wine fridge. We immediately discovered that our range was defective. Viking refused to assist but the dealer gave us a new one. Next we had problems with the wall ovens. Viking said that the temp settings were apparently only a suggestion - they have never been accurate. Next the wine cooler - will not keep up with temp control on warm days - has completely failed on one occasion. Fortunately it was in warranty. Now the refrigerator... We will not buy another Viking product.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Viking Wine Cellars?

For more information about reviews on please visit our FAQ.

I am writing this comment about my Viking wine cooler and one of my two Viking side-by-side refrigerators of which I spent a lot of money on. This is approximately the 6th or 7th time that I have had a local repair company come to my home for various repairs on these appliances. I'm a home builder for 35 years and have installed many appliances in many new homes and it seems that I personally got the worst lemons of all appliances I have ever had installed in these homes. This Viking company has been the biggest joke that I have ever encountered. They have given me zero respect or help throughout this whole 4 1/2 year process, other than parts that are so overpriced, that it makes me sick. Not one time has this company done one thing to satisfy the problems that I have had. I have made phone calls and have tried to explain my situation through letters and received no response ever. This ordeal assures that I will never purchase a Viking appliance again for personal use or my company.

We build homes ranging from $300,000 to $1,000,000. I will not recommend this company either to anyone that is looking for appliances for their home. We don't live in a perfect world and everybody makes mistakes, but Viking does nothing in any way to correct what problems the appliances have. My opinion is they suck. These 3 Viking appliances that I own have put me through pure hell.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Viking has been part of The Middleby Corporation since 2013. They make and sell a variety of kitchen appliances, including ranges, cooktops, ovens, ventilator systems, refrigerators, dishwashers, cookware and wine cellars.

• Large capacity: Viking’s 30” full-height wine cellar can store up to 150 bottles of wine, making it ideal for wine enthusiasts.
  • TriTemp™ Storage System: The TriTemp™ Storage System featured on Viking’s full-height wine cellar allows you to choose up to three separate temperature zones for your selection of wines. Temperatures range from 43-65 degrees Fahrenheit.
  • Pull-out shelves: The pull-out shelves in Viking’s wine cellar gives easy access for standard, magnum and half-size bottles of wine. The pull-out feature also allows for easy cleaning.
  • Undercounter wine cellars: Consumers who don’t need a full-size wine cellar will enjoy Viking’s undercounter wine cellar options. These can hold 24-45 bottles in a space-saving design that fits under your counter.
  • Special offers: Viking frequently has special offers and promotions available for their customers, so check their website frequently to find out if your purchase qualifies.
  • Best for Viking wine cellars are best for wine enthusiasts and small home dwellers.

Compare Wine Refrigerators & Coolers