SimpliSafe

2.1(437)

About SimpliSafe

SimpliSafe designs wireless home security systems that are easy to install with no drilling or tools. With a wide array of sensors and security cameras, SimpliSafe offers all-encompassing protection plus integrated apps that make system control possible from anywhere. It provides seamless 24/7 alarm monitoring without the long-term contracts and sky-high prices of traditional home security companies.

Pros & Cons

Pros
  • Affordable plans
  • Highly customizable packages
  • Simple DIY installation
Cons
  • Upfront equipment costs

Stars Rating

• 14%
  • 8%
  • 10%
  • 13%
  • 55%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SimpliSafe?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SimpliSafe?
    Smart Devices

Reviewed June 5, 2023

I have had a Simplisafe system about eight years. I have their new system now. Recently, I purchased a pair of outdoor cameras because they were, well, simple: remote, connected to WiFi, rechargeable batteries with three to six months before battery recharging, no drilling, wiring, etc. Initially, they were working great. I did have one camera go belly up, and it was replaced with no charge.

The replacement camera they sent me drains the battery within 24-30 hours, so I have to have a spare charged up and ready always. The other original camera, sitting not five feet from the other one, still maintains its charge as advertised. I contacted them about the replacement camera, and was told that my battery might be the cause. I have FIVE rechargeable batteries. All of them can't be bad! They work in the other camera just fine. Then I was told to try the solar panel with it: An $80 accessory. This will be a problem because of a lack of sun on the front porch. Not sure the 13' cable will be long enough. If that doesn't work, then they'll replace the camera.

Usually, I don't have a problem dealing with the company, but now Simplisafe has become too big. I'm disappointed, to say the least. Also had a problem with the camera doorbell, that was never resolved: Compatibility issues, I guess. $100 door bell that would not work when I had to put in a new doorbell and transformer. Couldn't see a $400 troubleshooter to resolve what shouldn't have been an issue to begin with. Figured the new outdoor cameras would be a good alternative. Crazy me!

Reviewed May 26, 2023

I returned the entire system unopened, I decided it was too expensive. They promise the refund will show up on your card in 1 - 3 days after they receive the equipment. They confirmed receipt, this is day 11 and still no refund. I have called, I have emailed several times and keep getting promises but no refund.

Customer ServiceSmart Devices

Reviewed April 16, 2023

I bought the Lighthouse package today for 40% off and activated Chase's rebate, as well. Afterwards, I saw the negative reviews online here. I did some more digging and found out SimpliSafe only uses 2.4 wifi. I wish I saw that sooner. It won't work with my home wifi. I initiated a text with them to cancel because I just ordered it today. They told me to call. I called. I have now been on the phone 26 minutes with delays and excuses as to why they can't cancel.

First it was the guy did not have authorization to cancel and it had to be the specialized support team. Then, he told me the support team is bogged down with requests and is working on it and will get back to me in a few minutes. Then, he said he can see the support team working on it and will get back with me when he has an update. Then, he told me the support team is again very busy and he will get back to me (he put me on hold each time). Now, the latest excuse is that it is in process at the warehouse, and once I receive the package I can mail it back to them for a full refund. I told him this exact sequence of delays and excuses is the same thing I saw in their reviews online and asked to talk to a supervisor. Now I am on hold again. I have been on the phone with them so far for 29 minutes.

Customer ServiceInstallation & Setup

Reviewed April 11, 2023

I went with SS after reading up first and then calling in to become a customer. I was fine with the equipment and prices. However, the phone agent told me not to check the box marked $99 for installation, because according to him it could vary depending on the order - which he had in front of him. The equipment came by mail, and we then called the OnTech affiliate to schedule the installation.

Uh, slight problem - OnTech said the installation would cost over $400. I called Simplisafe to cancel the order, and they were to refund my money upon receipt back of the equipment, which was done by last Thursday April 7. Despite a clear conversation w a supervisor called Andrew concerning the processing of the refund to a particular card of mine they had on file, and I gave the approval to send back to that card, after five days I still had no refund. In all, dealing SimpliSafe is a nightmare. They are incompetent at best, and to me, they seemed duplicitous. Beware.

Reviewed April 3, 2023

I purchased a SimpliSafe unit for my home. I was told I could return for a full refund. I received the product and my husband decided it wasn’t what he wanted. I returned the unit within a week in original box and packaging. Spoke with customer service. This was in February 17,2023. Told once they received the unit I would receive a full refund with in 1-3 business days. Long story short, after 4 phone calls and emails about my refund I have yet to see it!! It is April 3rd and I will make my weekly call to customer service! Not happy and will Never purchase again!!!! S **

Reviewed March 17, 2023

I purchased camera few months ago. Cameras were lagging and kept freezing. I returned products and thankfully products were bought from 3rd party. I followed to cancel the account and had most difficult experience. I spoke with very rude customer service rep and was told to email, once I email they will cancel. That wasn’t the case and I was asked to provide state ID in order to cancel a service I don’t even have set up. Terrible experience, if you’re seeing this, run.

Reviewed March 16, 2023

We returned a system in September-October timeframe and still no check. I was told that it would take 4-6 weeks to be reimbursed. Nothing. Today I was told the check was mailed to the incorrect address. It will take another 6-8 weeks. Customer service people are very nice. BUT why won't the company submit a check sooner being they made the initial mistake? It's a very BAD business policy to keep people waiting 3-4 months for a refund.

Customer ServiceDelivery & Shipping

Reviewed March 16, 2023

I purchased an alarm online late January 2023. My plans changed and I did not need the alarm. I contacted SimpiSafe to obtain information for returning the system and they emailed me a pre-paid label. I affixed the label and shipped right away through USPS. The package was received in their warehouse on 2/06/23. (After I tracked through USPS)

Two weeks passed and I did not receive any correspondence regarding receipt of the package or refund information. I called 2/16/23 and the rep tracked the package and confirmed she would submit a request for a refund. She informed me it would be 2-3 business days. Another 2 weeks pass, still no refund. By this time, payment is due for this item. I do not want to pay for something no longer in my possession. I had to submit a dispute with my credit card company. Now, a month has passed and no refund. I contacted SimpliSafe once again and the person I spoke with was thoroughly confused. He confirmed there was a refund pending, but no amount. I was on hold for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, no resolution.

Finally, today 3/15/23, my credit card company closed the dispute in my favor and refunded my money. They sent me an email and requested the tracking information and within a few hours, the case was closed. And, I did contact SimpliSafe today and was told, there is an issue with their billing platform and I should receive a refund within 2-3 business day. Uh' I was told that a month ago. Not sure what is going on with their refund process? But take heed, plan on keeping the system if you buy it. If you send it back, you may never get a refund. This created much needless stress and hassle and they should be ashamed. Endless calls to their office and no resolution.

Profile pic of the author.
    Customer ServiceSales & Marketing

Reviewed March 6, 2023

(1) On February 6, 2023 an order was accidentally and erroneously placed with Simplisafe for $442.76. (2) On February 8, 2023 I called Simplisafe explaining what happened and asked if I could refuse order. I was told no and that I would need to use their label to ship it back. (USPS) I received the item. (3) I was informed a full refund would be issued within 7 business days.

(4) On February 10, 2023 it was returned. Box was never opened. (5) It was delivered and received by Simplisafe on February 13, 2023. (6) On February 23, 2023 I called Simplisafe to ask what happened to the refund. I was told to be patient a few more days. (7) On February 27, 2023 I called Simplisafe once again and was told it has been forwarded to an escalated team as they don’t know why it’s not been refunded.

(8) On March 3, 2023 I called Simplisafe one last time and was told “there must be a processing glitch” and it cannot be refunded!!! I was also told the escalating team will try but no promises can be made!! This is a scam. They’re purposely not refunding me. I’m demanding not only a full refund from Simplisafe but also with any finance charges accrued after the initial seven days.

Reviewed Feb. 12, 2023

I purchased one of their packages a year ago and up until two months ago everything was fine but then the base station stopped working. Called them up and after a long wait and jumping through hoops they sent me a new base station. Just tried to set up my NEW base station and after speaking with 3 different rude tech people (who have no idea what they are doing) and wasting over 2 hours of my day taking out batteries and unplugging stuff and nothing working. They stated that the new base station I got didn't work and would need to send me another one and that I would need to go through this all over again. Not to mention having to return the broken station they sent me. So not only do they send me garbage but now I've been given an errand. Not sure how I can have confidence in their equipment after this. My advice to you is save yourself the headache and go with someone else instead.

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupCamera & Video

Reviewed Jan. 1, 2023

I have had services with SimpliSafe for a year and a half. We bought the Essentials Security System with numerous extras for a total over $700. The good: The sensors, base station, etc were easy to install. The bad: The Video Doorbell Pro never worked. From day one we had issues with the videos not loading, they would show a few seconds then give an error message. When we tried to drop in on the camera 9 times out of 10 it would give an error message, or log us out of the account, and it would take 30 seconds or so to log back in. We would then again receive error messages. It would often say "No Video. We did not receive this part of the recording from your camera."

We had two packages stolen during this time and both times all activity around had only error messages. However, even with test runs/kids/dogs we received error message after error message. I called a few times, after a while they offered to send a new one, the new one had the same issues. They had no solutions after that and so I cancelled. When I cancelled they turned off the service that minute even though I had 16 days left on the account that I had already paid for. When I called to inquire about this (they had not told me the account would be cancelled immediately, I assumed, since I didn't receive other information, that it would be cancelled at the end of my service time that was paid for.

They told me it was not possible to refund for the rest of the month not used, and that they would not be able to cancel at the end of the period paid, that I would have to call in before the next month started if I wanted to continue to use the period that I had paid for. Ultimately, after 20 minutes of conversation they did reimburse for the final month (half of which I won't be able to use anyway because the service cancelled) because I had evidence of previous calls for the product not working. Ultimately, I am out probably close to $900 and never had a system that worked.

Customer ServiceReliability

Reviewed Dec. 20, 2022

Had an awful experience too. I ordered three water sensors and then called about one nonfunctioning water sensor and was told to go through "steps," first to verify my identity and then to "fix" the problem. After 20 minutes on the phone and four turn-off and turn-on alarms, I was finally told that I would be sent a new sensor that would arrive in three days. I asked about being compensated for my time without the sensor and my time on the phone and was told I would not be, until I spoke with a supervisor who told me how great the company was. Eventually, I was offered one-month free service. I believe the appropriate action would have been to apologize and rush me a new sensor because I received a defective piece of equipment -- clearly not my fault.

Customer ServiceMonitoringCamera & VideoTech

Reviewed Dec. 16, 2022

I've been a customer of Simplisafe for 7 years, and I have had nothing but trouble. The alarm system is fine, but the camera surveillance system is the worst. VERY difficult to set up and even harder to use. I have been on the phone extensively over the years; they have sent me replacement cameras (free) because the original failed; and today I spent another 75 minutes on the phone trying to get one of the indoor cameras working. The tech got it working, but 2 hours later it failed again. Plus it takes FOREVER for the cameras to "wake up" and begin transmitting a picture. Finally, the batteries on the outdoor cameras don't last very long - they are rechargeable but you will be doing that frequently. Overall, I am considering another company. I suggest you do the same.

Reviewed Dec. 8, 2022

Do not buy! You pay for a service and it conveniently doesn’t record when someone is right in front of the camera doing criminal activity! I called support and they have no footage and only offered me one month free. They also offered to send me a replacement camera but no footage of the event and tried to blame it on an outage in my area. Nope! My doorbell camera from Nest was working the whole time, just didn’t see the criminal. Don’t buy SimpliSafe!!

Customer ServiceMonitoring

Reviewed Dec. 6, 2022

We've had a SimpliSafe system for several years on our Florida home. We have it monitored only during the months we're in another state. It used to be that I would call and put monitoring on pause for approximately 5 months, then call to reactivate when we left. No problem. However, today I'm told they can pause service for only 3 months. So, now they have a backdoor way to get you onto a 9-month "plan". How's that for sneaky? My trust in SimpliSafe just took a precipitous nosedive.

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupDelivery & Shipping

Reviewed Nov. 19, 2022

I placed an order and paid for expedited shipping over 10 days ago, and still have not received equipment. The "bright side" of the delay I suppose is that I was unable to book the installation until 10 days later anyway so there really was no rush, but I wanted to have the system in hand as soon as possible, as I was in the middle of a move. After reaching out several times to customer service I was advised that a shipment tracking number would be available once the items shipped (never once did anyone look into why I hadn't received a tracking number in over a week from placing the order). I finally call to speak with customer service who informed me that there was an issue with the order during the processing, after the payment was made. I am furious that no one caught this, especially after my multiple attempts to inquire about the order status.

My installation appt is for 2 days from now but apparently, my order won't even ship before 2 days from now. The rep offered to reimburse me for the expedited shipping I paid for which is nice, but I am extremely disappointed in this service so far. I don't know yet when I'll be able to reschedule installation, but they previously made me aware that they are booked for the month. I have moved into my new home already and now have to wait even longer to have peace of mind with a security system in place.

Camera & VideoSmart Devices

Reviewed Oct. 31, 2022

Purchased two SimpliSafe outdoor cameras along with their 120V power sources so I didn't have to worry about replacing batteries. The cameras are an absolute failure. By the time they "wake up" which is 5 or more seconds, the 'bad guy' has already walked away! Nothing of value captured. Doesn't even capture me driving my car into the garage! Everything on my end is up to spec - power, network speed, wifi signal strength. Addressed to SimpliSafe with NO RESOLUTION. AND they are still selling the camera. Also have had at least two entry sensors fail (replaced gratis). Definitely will not recommend them for camera security.

Profile pic of the author.
    Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupMonitoring

Reviewed Oct. 31, 2022

We purchased the Simplisafe system about a year ago. We have 3 exterior doors that are metal. Guess what, the door alarms won't work on metal doors unless you create a barrier between the door and the alarm...However, didn't know that until they were installed. However, I only have one that doesn't work at a lot. It will flash like you are opening the door but it won't register that it is open or shut. We have had several occasions when we open the door and it doesn't even buzz you to enter the code and then later, it will go off.

We also had an issue with the fire alarm going off in our newborn daughter's room because of the humidifier being on. The other night, we were out on the patio playing with our children. The fire alarm was "going off" in the dining room because I let peas boil dry (I know...) but it never actually went off...We never heard it. I walked into the house and NO alarms were going off but Simplisafe had already dispatched the fire department because my phone was inside and I didn't get their call. Why was the alarm still not going off when I went into the house because there was still smoke? I pay monthly for this security and all we get is a bunch of false alarms and fighting with the system to recognize that the damn door is shut. I wish I would have went with ADT when I chose a security system. Now I have over $1,500 in stuff that doesn't even work in the most basic of ways like knowing when a door is open or shut.

Customer ServiceOnline & AppReliability

Reviewed Oct. 3, 2022

I purchased my first (of two) SimpliSafe systems in January of 2021. Included the base, smart lock, video doorbell, one indoor camera and several door sensors. I purchased a second system for another home some months later. Both systems' smartlock has not been reliable. On several occasions I need to either lock or unlock the main door from the app and it does not connect to the base, giving me an error.

I have been on the phone with support many times, and while they are readily available and helpful, I find that they have me uninstall and reinstall the smart lock or reset it multiple times. They even replaced the smart lock and it still fails. They told me they would ship the new one overnight and when it didn't arrive in 2 days they told me it was backordered and arrived a couple of months later. The base is approx 35 ft from the smartlock, unrestricted by walls. The door is steel, the base is on a wood cabinet and the floor is LVP. We check batteries, move the base closer, etc. They have credited me some months of service, which is appreciated, but doesn't help much if the system is unreliable. I have asked about returning the full system(s) for credit and they tell me it's not an option. I had another system in this house previously with no issues. Ever. I would not recommend this system to anyone at this point.

Camera & VideoSmart Devices

Reviewed Sept. 24, 2022

So I was not happy with this alarm company in any way. It shut off out of the blue in the evenings, the camera would come on in the middle of the day, or kept breaking down and then it would disconnect from the wifi and take forever to hook it up again. In the last six months, I have been dealing with the FBI as they informed me that my daughter and I were being cased for sex trafficking. Cameras in our home, everything. Now that I am going over everything one that was involved with this, they found that the manager was in contact with one of the traffickers and was paid to turn my wifi off so they could get into my house while I was gone. They people are under serious investigation!!

Reviewed Sept. 20, 2022

We purchased the door sensors, the station, the camera and the sensors on the inside. You're allowed to see it on your app but you cannot see any of the recordings unless you pay them per month to do so so all the money you spend on the system. Nothing works unless you pay them money. Not a good system to buy. There are other systems out there that don't require monthly payments to get your security.

Customer ServiceInstallation & Setup

Reviewed Aug. 15, 2022

This company cannot process an order in a correct manner already set to return the 800.00 product and its not even received yet. Customer service of no assistance at all after 30 minute phone call. I cannot imagine the hassle to activate the service let alone trust my home and family with this company. System will be returned when finally received.

Reviewed Aug. 8, 2022

I have a complete SimpliSafe system in my home. Had a problem with the Carbon Monoxide detector in the system, so I needed a warranty replacement only to be told that “SimpliSafe no longer supports that device and it is permanently out of stock….Customer Service 08/08/22.” I quit ADT to put in the SimpliSafe system as it was complete with cameras, smoke detector, carbon monoxide, motion sensors, window coverage, and key code door lock and video doorbell. Very disappointed in SimpliSafe for not letting their customers know that they no longer even carry the carbon monoxide detector. If mine had not faulted, I guess I would not know either. We like the idea of a complete coverage system, and SimpliSafe is no longer in that category! Too bad, I really like what they are doing but this was a gut punch.

Reviewed Aug. 7, 2022

This system is God awful. I spent a significant amount of money for sensors, cameras, glass breakages, and motion detectors. First night sensors dropped off. All throughout winter different sensors dropped signals. I had sensors on 30 windows. At some point, 10 sensors dropped the signal and came back on and continued to dropped the signal. I also have the door locks from Simplisafe. Tonight I went out to look at the locks and the front door is not online, not connected. It said to check the battery, I just put this thing on in May. So it can't be the battery. As I said in the beginning, do not buy Simplisafe. I just spent another $1,800 to put Ring in. I still have to get the locks. We live in another state from where this house is and I like to keep an eye on everything to make sure it's all secure. I can't do that with Simplisafe. If I have said it enough I'll say it again, STAY AWAY FROM SIMPLISAFE!!!

MonitoringReliability

Reviewed July 23, 2022

I have had SimpliSafe for approximately 7 years. We have the system for 27.99/mo. that includes monitoring where they call you if there is an alarm. We just upgraded to System 3. We were asked if we wanted smoke detectors so we said yes as we thought that it was tied into their system. BEWARE, it is not. The smoke detector is a stand-alone detector with no monitoring involved. We paid $29.99 for each of the detectors that don't operate any differently than one that can be purchased at a big box store for about $15.00. Other than the smoke detectors, we love our system. Very reliable.

Customer ServiceSales & Marketing

Reviewed July 14, 2022

I recently purchased the Stonefront package at a 20% discount with free camera. I went back online to review the package and saw the new promotion was 45% discount with free camera. I looked at my invoice and saw I was charged for the camera then received 20% discount. I called Customer Service to see if they could apply the 45% to my order and the sales dept said no. Any other company gives you 30 days for purchase protection where if you find the same product for a lesser price, they will honor it. In order for me to receive the discount I have to place another order. I asked to speak to someone in the Sales Dept. and they told me "No". So, I decided to return the whole system un-opened for a full refund. I have worked in sales for years and if I didn't take care of the customer, I would lose my job. This has been one of the worst Customer Service experiences I have ever had. Would not recommend them at all!!!

Customer ServiceTech

Reviewed July 6, 2022

Stay away from SimpliSafe. Purchased the system and every time we lose power, the system takes a lot of time and effort to get it to reboot. The last time the power just flickered and now the system refuses to reboot. Each time I call Simplisafe, each rep gives bogus reasons as to why this happens. They are now claiming it is my internet provider and I should contact them. Even though I run most of my house using my internet, Simplisafe is the only issues I am having. So It is not the internet. Now I have a nonworking system sitting on my desk. Ever since I purchased the system, I have had nothing but issues. And the customer service is horrible. Once the rep got frustrated she could not resolve the issue, she hung up on me. Horrible system and horrible customer service.

Reviewed June 8, 2022

The system looks great and I love the sound of the voice. I love the designs of all of the devices and how they work. The customer service has been great so far and the price points are good overall. Here's the bad; all of the cameras, including the new outdoor camera have horrible picture quality, they take forever to view from your phone including the doorbell ringer/camera. Most of the time it will alert me that there is motion detected but the videos are almost never available to view.

They can't me out with new products but can take a year to get the product's apps to function for it. As far as I can tell the company does not offer their own instructional videos but rely on customers or reviewers to post them on YouTube. The batteries in the outdoor camera last about a week and need to be recharged and the solar panel for it that you pay for separately barely helps it at all. The door lock is horrible. Flimsy and doesn't engage the deadbolt fully no matter how much you make adjustments on it. I'm definitely going to pony up the money to get a real security camera system installed, with cameras that actually take decent images and can be viewed when it needs to be viewed.

Customer ServiceCamera & VideoDelivery & ShippingReliability

Reviewed June 6, 2022

**ZERO STARS** I bought a system 7 months ago and during set up none of the cameras worked. They apologized after hours of troubleshooting and said they would overnight me new cameras especially because we were going out of town. The camera never came, we waited 2 weeks for the camera to come because we called them AGAIN when we came back in town and the CSR said they forgot to send the replacement. So, we attempted to set up the cameras again with tech/CSR for hours on the phone and he said that he thinks they sent us an older camera by accident that doesn't work with our internet, He then suggested we DOWNGRADE our internet service quality to accommodate the old camera. I said I'd think about it because we have been with our service for 3 years. Also, why does your NEW equipment not work with today's internet speed?? STUPID!

SO then 2 months go by of us trying to trouble shoot and we are Now out of our 60 day return window. We had been told that all we need to do is continue troubleshooting with them to get it working properly and have everything working together with the hope that our alarms and the cameras will work together as one because NOW we cannot get our money (almost $ 400) back. All while they keep telling us they have a Liefetime Warranty and all we need to do is spend hours on the phone trying to get it to work as they do not do in home setup.

So, here we are... phone calls later having them send an entirely new system shipped to us because we didn't feel right trying to sell the current system we had, even though their CSR told us to, in hopes that the new system they're sending works. Just so we can turn around and sell it online ourselves in hopes to recover some of our money spent, which is actually nothing compared to the amount of time we spent on the phone. Warning you now... AVOID this BRAND, It's Products and Services at all costs!!!

Customer ServiceMonitoringDelivery & Shipping

Reviewed June 2, 2022

Monitoring service is excellent. Customer service and order processing is awful! Placed an order on 5/27. On 5/28 I received ship notification and tracking number. As of 6/2 the item has not arrived at the USPS for shipment. I requested an online chat and 4 hours later still haven't been contacted. I called customer care they confirmed it was still in the warehouse pending shipment. Talked to customer care supervisor who had more excuses than solutions. She implied the memorial day holiday caused a delay. I'm sure it did, but that was 3 days ago. No reason why it sat for another 3 days. She actually suggested the post office hadn't picked it up yet. Mind you, the postal service and Simplisafe returned to work on Tuesday 5/31. I'm on the verge of changing to another service because of this level of service.

Reviewed May 24, 2022

I was on a support call regarding not being able to see my timeline of activity. I was on this call for over an hour and 45 minutes only to be told that the plan I have been on basically does not have the feature to see my past activity and I would have to call every week to see if the system has been tested. For this loss of feature I get to pay an additional $3.00 a month. This has got to be the dumbest thing I have ever heard. I have systems at 2 locations. I am sorry I purchased the SimpliSafe products. Don’t take function away and expect the consumer to pay and not get any benefit..

Customer ServiceMonitoring

Reviewed May 18, 2022

I had been with SimpliSafe for 5.5 years. They upgraded their system 4 years ago because of of problems with their original system. They never informed me of the need to upgrade, but they were happy to take my monthly monitoring charge of $27.99. When I called to complain about that the system was not working for me, they wanted to sell me the "new & upgraded" system. After some further discussions, I asked to cancel my system, which they agreed to do. But they would not refund me the monthly monitoring charge of $27.99 which just deducted from my bank account yesterday. I expect better treatment of long-time customers.

Customer ServiceMonitoringContract & TermsReliability

Reviewed May 7, 2022

I have had a Simplisafe alarm for about 6 years. Their equipment is functional and affordable priced but their actual contracting with a monitoring service here in L.A. is a complete disaster. I set off the alarm to see what would happen. No one called as I stared at my cell phone for 30 minutes. I then called their L.A. 'central station' To ask why they hadn't called they resorted to several obvious lies and far from cleverly done. They claimed they called- a lie. No record of any calls from them for that 30 minutes.

They said they called twice as I was paying for in the call instructions. They said the second call was answered by a message that this number is not in service. Really? Then if so why no redialing since according to your lies you called several minutes before and if so that infers you knew it was an active line, right? But no redial was made on the second fantasy attempt, long silence on the line after this clear logic by the completely non functional person that created the false log and was then backed up by her supervisor in her lies with the same silence after running thru her lies above that any calls were made to my cell phone and its call record proves this.

I don't know if they called my apt as I wasn't there but at my warehouse where the alarm was. After far more senseless babble from the lady and the supervisor that included repeating over and over references that were tangential nonsense and then tried suggesting to have me transferred to the SimpliSafe number- a phony move I had already been treated to that they again lied and said they weren't aware if they were open or closed it was after 7 pm. At the end of the third call from them I took this suggestion and was treated to a message that said to call during normal business hours as I pointed out 2 of the 3 central station employees that tried this suggestion and I of course pointed out that was a obvious cop-out and phony insincere move they knew would result in that message. So I said to her that would be a dodge after constant lying your attempting.

Then the lady detailed a record of phone calls to my 2 numbers that were no more than outright lies coming from phone log that was pure fabrication by her. And the phone records prove this. Previously I became aware years previous that the company is horribly run, and yes I should of changed right then from them. Here's a example. In the alarm log that appears in the simplisafe website for my account for your alarm which I have simply never monitored being busy I was victimized by employees in a large theft at night. They disabled the alarm and literally months later when I got sick at the beginning of covid I wondered why the system doesn't involve calling client if a critical change occurs in log activity and it the alarm sounded fine after setting it when I exiting it seemed it was still ok.

My point is - if for years the log of the door open sensor is ok and suddenly is creating no log daily of being active - why not a system by them that gives a call to the client warning of this change? There are other examples, the point is this company is horribly managed - do not trust them - they simply do not do their job, and in at least my case contract with utterly incompetently local monitoring services at least and has been very very poor service from them for years. So absolutely I should of moved long ago to any other service, that's totally on me and I own that.

Reviewed May 5, 2022

Let me first say the customer service has been one of the best experiences we have ever had. The people we spoke to and their product knowledge was always top notch. Our problems began were minimal. The key fob is designed poorly and as a result it has constantly activated accidentally. Sometimes without our knowing. I cant tell you how many times the dog jumps up and sets it off or I get into my vehicle and the button is pushed. But I can live with that.

The next issue was the design for the windows. We had to cut out small blocks to add to the window in order to raise one of the pieces to make a clean contact. I realize this is not necessarily their problem, but it wasnt designed with older windows in mind. These two issues were the only problems until one evening our keypad started lighting up for no reason. And because it is in our bedroom, it was a nuisance. We checked the blog and others had experienced the same problem, but nobody addressed the "why' it was happening and how to fix it.

We contacted SimplSafe and they were able to send another unit without issue. Although it was a headache because we had to reset every sensor to accommodate the new brain, we were excited to have no light going off every 20 seconds or so. But, it didnt fix the problem. We contacted them again and they spent hours taking us through system checks and whatnot. Moving forward, the same problem is still happening. However, now we have a sensor that will not work. When we set the alarm we almost always hear "warning..." right after we set the alarm. Even though we have changed the battery and made sure everything was set up correctly, we dont like not knowing what could happen if the window was breached.

The next issue are the cameras. They have never worked since the new brain was replaced. Part of the hours we spent on the phone was to try and get them back online. Now for no apparent reason I get a noise from one of them that says "Your camera is ready..." So we have gone from bad to worse. They have been very nice to deal with and quick to replace the existing devices, but the issue has not gone away. Obviously, there are still some bugs to work out. We have begun looking for a new alarm because there is nothing worse than not knowing what may happen if that day comes. Will they work or not? Thank heavens we have a dog that cannot be replaced.

Customer ServiceMonitoringOnline & App

Reviewed April 15, 2022

I have been a customer with Simplisafe for 8 years. After a recent price increase to the subscription monitoring, I made the decision to cut the umbilical code, and begin self monitoring. I called customer service, requested cancelation, asked questions as to whether or not I would be able to use the mobile app, (i.e. gain access to my cameras and video doorbell, and change alarm states). I was informed that I could indeed still use the mobile app to interactively perform these actions.

To my amazement, after cancellation, when I opened the mobile app on my iphone, all system information had been deleted. I am very disappointed. I have attempted to reinstall the system in my mobile app. It has been a total disaster. I called simplisafe customer support and was told this would be impossible. So, my question to simplisafe, "why while I paid the monthly subscription fee, did my mobile app work flawlessly, and the moment I canceled the monitoring service, the system went to hell (so to speak). This is criminal, I will never recommend this system. Thank you for nothing, Harv.

Reviewed April 12, 2022

I have been paying, and without security for going on five months. Let me say, the system is fine when it works, and if you know what you're doing, you may be golden! I do not know what I'm doing however. I admit, I'm no techy genius, and I was not advised I had to be one to get this system!! Every time I send an email, I just get an automated reply, thank you for your email, call our customer service number for assistance. The email doesn't say it, but you call customer service, which is what I do prior to sending the email, to either be told, "Tough fix it yourself," or they give you the run around, or I wait 20 minutes to have no one pick up at all!! It is very frustrating.

I travel, and in being home, I want to know my alarm system I pay close to $30 a month for is working. Yes, I know there are others more expensive, as I've had others before, and to save money, I tried SimplySafe...but never again!! You save alright, and have to go periods without ever having security. I haven't been able to use my security since early February, and it is mid April now. It is inexcusable, and I have requested to talk to a supervisor multiple times, to just receive an email, thank you for your email, and you can call us for assistance at the 1800 number. I would not advise anyone else to try this security service.

Reliability

Reviewed March 30, 2022

If you own a rental property do NOT get this system. You cannot update it unless someone is physically at your house, you need to reinstall the keypad... which I’ve had to do twice. It had taken over 6 hours of my time to troubleshoot with them, upgrades come out of nowhere so you can’t even plan around them. If your wifi goes out the system can short circuit. I specifically joined this consumer review page to warn everyone. There are better models out there!!!

Reviewed March 22, 2022

I was getting a monthly bill for 22 months. But turns out they didn't know we weren't connected to their system. Only way to cancel is by phone and takes forever to talk to someone. I guess they hope you give up, so they can keep charging you for doing nothing.

Installation & Setup

Reviewed March 18, 2022

Garbage. Out of three cameras, they all are constantly disconnecting. Unbelievably how something can be this bad! Pure crap, the only thing good about it is that it's easy to install set up...and I've only had it for a few months....junk!!!

Customer ServiceCamera & VideoSmart Devices

Reviewed March 4, 2022

I researched a lot of companies before settling on SimpliSafe. Ultimately, I'll say that I chose SimpliSafe because the price was right; I was shopping on a budget. The problem, of course, is that shopping on a budget means that you often get budget products. My cameras are constantly disconnecting from my system, to the point that I have every confidence that if there WERE some incident at my house, I would have no footage to provide authorities.

SimpliSafe will suggest that it's got something to do with the camera's proximity to the base station or the base stations proximity to the router. Except... My house is 940 sq ft. It's about 50 ft at it's widest points. The way the rooms are structured, none of my SimpliSafe products are more than 20ft apart, and separated by at most 2 walls. If the antennae in these cheap products is too weak for THAT setup, I'd suggest the company stop making wifi-enabled products, altogether.

I'm currently trying to re-setup one of my cameras, which mysteriously disabled and reset itself. I'm literally sitting about 24" from the router, in the same room with both the router and base station, and the camera can't connect to wifi. That has been the gist of my entire experience with SimpliSafe. Customer service's solution to the janky camera problem? Send me a free janky camera. Thanks, SimpliSafe for making me and my household feel so... Safe.