Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

179 Sharp Microwave Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 16, 2019

I purchased this unit years ago, as it was not only a microwave, but a toaster oven, baker, grill, in a small countertop unit that does not take up much room - I would say that it is similar to the new microwaves that air fry, convection, etc. Works great at everything - the only downfall is that the microwave is only 600 watts, but the trade off is having all the other options to choose from.

Original review: July 15, 2019

I bought my SHARP CAROUSEL microwave 19 years ago. It has operated flawless for the whole time. I paid about $125.00 dollars for it and consider it to be an excellent value for the money. It's still in use and is the only microwave I use.

Get expert buying tips about Microwaves delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 13, 2019

Although this microwave checks most of the boxes, my previous microwave had a reminder beep that I really miss on this microwave. It displays End but does not beep a minute after cooking finishes. Overall the Sharp has good features and wasn’t too expensive.

Original review: July 7, 2019

I bought a Sharp R-21-LCR commercial microwave. It's stainless steel inside and out. Cleans easy. One knob operation that heats or warms up food evenly. Every thing I need of a smaller table or counter top design. Have had no issues with it and is used on a daily basis.

Original review: July 2, 2019

This thing has been a workhorse for almost 10 years. I have family members who had newer microwaves that went belly-up while this one keeps on heating, defrosting and looking stylish while doing it. And it's big enough for a 10* turkey.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sharp TVs?

Original review: July 14, 2019

I got it for $40.00 at the grocery store 15 years ago & it still works awesome! I've never had a problem with it, never broke down. Its quiet efficiency is Remarkable! I love my SHARP MICROWAVE.

Original review: July 12, 2019

My Sharp microwave is awesome. It has 1100 watts. It also has a platform for rotation and even cooking. The only thing I was concerned about when I bought it was its large size. Other than that I'm extremely happy.

Original review: July 11, 2019

Large interior, easy to clean, many settings for all kinds of cooking and defrosting needs, simple touch keypad. Stainless steel trim. Can be mounted in cabinet, or just on the countertop. But doesn't have a convection fan or stirrer.

Original review: July 10, 2019

Nothing fancy, but has worked for a couple years and probably ready to be replaced. It does have the carousel which is nice and is removable for cleaning. Appearance is nice and has minute feature, reheating button etc.

Original review: July 9, 2019

The time input is a dial and rarely works. There is no number pad that is needed to enter the time, only the dial. We can turn it and turn it and only sometimes adds time to the setting! It even will start going backwards past 99:99.

Original review: July 8, 2019

I have an under-the-cabinet version and it works great. The height is fine, no problem getting dishes in and out. The rotating disc makes cooking easy, no need to turn dishes halfway through. Good at defrosting, too. Would buy it again.

Original review: July 6, 2019

I have had this Sharp microwave for more than 10 years. The quality and performance are top notch. It is dependable, sufficiently quiet and has powerful heating ability. I would definitely purchase this brand again.

Original review: July 5, 2019

Very good on appearance and performance. For the price I am extremely satisfied. It fits perfect. I get corner of my kitchen counter without taking a lot of space. I love it ♥️. It sure beats the one that it replaced.

Original review: July 4, 2019

Use the microwave to warm up foods and cook popcorn. It serves its purpose. Also heat water for coffee, tea or hot chocolate. Sometimes we defrost frozen items so we are able to cook it without waiting for it to thaw out.

Original review: July 3, 2019

This is a basic microwave, nothing fancy, but works well and is a good size. It was included in the house we purchased. Our preference would be an over the range microwave convection combination whenever we decide to replace it.

Original review: July 1, 2019

Microwave functions great; I particularly appreciated its presets and programmed options which are extremely effective. Looks good and slick: drawer model. I would probably consider purchasing same brand again.

Original review: June 11, 2019

I purchased the Sharp Carousel microwave SMC0912BS about 2 years ago. For the past month it will randomly turn on and off. I've tried to unplug it and plug it back in and all it will do is turn on and off again and won't allow us to use any of the buttons until it has stopped freaking out.

Original review: May 8, 2019

We purchased this microwave 7 months ago, we have had no issues up to this point, granted we do not use it every day, it smells as if something is burning. My whole kitchen smells of burning electric. Didn’t have any issues until now. I’ll be taking this back to Lowe's. It’s model SMC 1452CH.

Original review: May 2, 2019

I purchased the microwave in Jan 2014 from Best Buy. It was the display model. The manufacturer date is Oct 2011 but was not used. Last night while defrosting bananas, it smelled like our house was on fire! We didn't immediately consider the microwave because there were no flames or smoke but it is under the granite countertop in our island. We checked everywhere in the house looking for a fire, even turning off the can lights but did not find any flames.

We decided it had to be the microwave and removed it from the cabinet. The inside smells just like a fire. It was very scary. I called Sharp this morning (knowing it is out of warranty) and they honestly didn't care a bit. Said they could send out a service tech for a fee. I am not interested in fixing the microwave that could have burned down our house. I am disappointed in the lack of concern from Sharp. Will not buy any more Sharp products. I have submitted my information to ClassAction.org. Hopefully Sharp will find a conscience and address this issue.

Original review: April 28, 2019

This is the second Sharp microwave I have caught fire in less than 5 years! Each one started a fire inside and left a burnt mark on the right inside wall of the microwave where there is a small cover plate that seems to be made of paper! The first microwave fire was caused by using sensor cook, the microwave was still cooking when I saw a small flame from the right side of the microwave. I have since replaced the microwave with the same model.

The second fire was just last week while I was reheating a muffin for 20 seconds, I did not see the fire but I smell the toxic fumes when I open the door and also found the burnt on the paper covering on the right inside wall of the microwave. Same spot as the first fire last time. I am concern that this microwave is unsafe to use, I mainly use the microwave for reheat and I am not a frequent user of it. Not more than 10 minutes a day. So I don’t think the microwave should have this kind of performance. How do I file a consumer complain about this safety issue?

Original review: March 13, 2019

This is my second Sharp microwave to burn up. We called the company the first time to report our microwave had went on fire and my husband hurt his hand throwing it out the back door. It was right before Christmas so we were forced to go out and get another microwave for the holidays because they refused to handle this in a timely manner. We purchased another sharp thinking that they would reimburse us when we settled with the company. They sent me a disclosure letter that I refused to sign so they were not willing to discuss any reimbursement after that.

Moving forward a couple of years later with the second microwave while cooking a Potato, on the potato setting the microwave started to smoke up the whole house. It was a electrical smell and fried itself out. When I called the company to explain that this is the second time this has happened and to ask if maybe there was a recall they said no. After sending photo upon their request they contacted me and offered ME TO BUY another one directly from THEM. They also wanted the sticker from inside the microwave and for me to sign a disclosure. Bottom line... this is happening very often and probably should be recalled. I hope someone doesn't get really hurt. This is negligence.

Original review: March 10, 2019

I’ve had my microwave for 7 months and the bottom is rusting and paint flaking. Is there somebody I can contact to maybe get a new one. I don’t understand because as soon as something would spill I would make sure it was cleaned up and I’m the only person in the house to use it.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I bought this Sharp Carousel microwave (Model SMC1840CS) in January 2018 to replace our old Sharp that we had used for a number of years. This one worked well, until it quit heating on February 23, 2019. From troubleshooting it sounds like the magnetron is done. I used the 30 second button for something and remember smelling a strange odor, like a mechanical smell, from the microwave. The food seemed warm enough so I didn't worry about it. The next time I used it the buttons worked, display worked, light came on, microwave turned on (made a louder buzzing sound), it beeped at the end. However, the food was still ice cold.

Since I'm writing this review there were some other minor issues with the Sharp that we didn't like, but just dealt with. The buttons were difficult to see in low light (I can't be the only one who doesn't want to have to turn on a light to be able to use the microwave.) The display was extra bright, but it didn't help with trying to see the buttons. It blinded you, like high beams on a dark road. Backlit buttons would have been nice. The beep at the end was louder and beeped longer than necessary and it didn't stop if you opened the door. You had to touch the stop button to shut it off. So if you only need a microwave for about a year, this may be the microwave for you.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

Unit bought Oct 2015 and installed by builder. In the last few weeks it has made a few unusual noises and humming sounds. Last week it failed to open or power up. We also noticed a burning type odor. Called appliance dealer who sold the unit and they discovered magnetron tube totally burnt along with much of the interior of unit. Cost $90.00 for inspection. Sharp called us and offered to replace unit for $325.00. There is a 5 year warranty on tube. My main concern now is why so many of these $1000 plus unit fail and potentially are a fire hazard. I have written Sharp voicing my concerns and feel a recall is in order especially if there is a fire concern as reported by many consumers and if they have addressed the faulty part. I do not want the same unit even if free if that hazard exist. Sharp needs to address this issue now.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Three months after installing the under counter microwave, while heating up a frozen patty, a couple of seconds into a 40 second cooking cycle, the unit started buzzing and emitting smoke. The smoke smelled electrical. Immediately turned off unit. Sharp's first response was to try to sell me their extended warranty. (Which I will probably do if and when they repair or replace my unit.) I see that other people are having the same issue with this model. I strongly recommend, "DO NOT BUY."

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I purchased my microwave just over a year ago! It's an R270SLM from Tesco for £80. It did seem to collect water inside after only using it a few times! Rust appeared inside at the back all along the bottom edge. Stopped working last week. The front panel doesn't light up anymore, when switched on at the plug if you open the door the plate will rotate and the inside light comes on! I give this product one star as zero is not an option. Well Sharp get your act together. Looking at other reviews they were all about Shoddy goods. What are you doing to rectify this? The Consumer Purchasing Act of 2015 says products should last a reasonable amount of time. To purchase a microwave every year is not reasonable thing to ask.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

My Sharp microwave is 1 1/2 years old and the bottom under the turntable ring is rusting. My first microwave was a Sharp, and it lasted 20 years. I'm very disappointed because I've had several different microwaves since that never rusted. Is there any kind of paint I can use to cover up the rust?

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

Purchased a Sharp microwave about 1 year ago for about $130 approximately a year ago. Recently after I use it, it cuts off the power to it. I have to unplug it then plug it back in then it works again until the next time or sometimes 2 times. Then it happens again. Wtf? I've had $80 microwaves that still work fine years later that I've given away. From dull minds come Sharp products?

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I recently was wiping out the inside the microwave and noticed the paint was bubbling and peeling. I called Sharp and was told to send pictures. After two phone calls they offered a replacement at my cost! Why would I pay for a most likely refurbished item. The customer service and outcome has clearly changed my opinion of recommending Sharp appliances or purchasing one EVER AGAIN!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I purchased the Sharp microwave on June 26, 2018. Many times the glass cooking tray did not remain on the coupler when it was cooking and especially when removing items from the microwave. Several times I have experienced the microwave cooking for five (5) minutes and it just shut off ? powered off. Then I had to wait about ten (10) minutes before it powered on again. When it powered on again the microwave was not in the cook mode. The microwave had to be reprogrammed. What can I do about these problems.

Sharp's Response: “I understand that the turntable tray will not stay on the coupler in your SHARP SMC1132CS microwave and the unit also shuts down. I do apologize for the inconvenience and I will be happy to advise. Where is the unit located e.g. on the counter, in a trim kit? Is the unit properly ventilated with at least 4 of space around the unit? Have you tried unplugging the microwave for approximately 30 seconds and then re-plug to see if the issue remains?”

My Response: “The microwave is on the counter. It is not enclosed in a trim kit. The microwave is properly ventilated. Yes we have unplugged the microwave and moved it on the counter to a different outlet. The problem continued to exist. We have used the first outlet for another appliance and we have not had any problems with that appliance working properly. We checked with an electrician and the power sources in the kitchen are very adequate to accommodate the microwave. What is the next step to correct this problem?”

Sharp's Response: “Thank you for responding with that information. In order to move forward with your case, we ask that you send a video of the unit shutting down to cecrl@sharpsec.com, and attach your case number in the subject line. The video should be approximately 10mb in size. After we have received your video, your case will be sent to the relevant department and you will be contacted within one (1) business day.” My Response: “I cannot imagine that you would expect someone to try to make a video of the unknown. We do not know when the microwave is going to shut down, if so we would not use it at that time. This is the first Sharp product we have purchased and it will be the last. We will discontinue using the microwave and purchase a brand that is more severable and reliable. This microwave has been such a headache. We will not donate it to any organization. We will put it where it should be-in the trash.”

Sharp TVs expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Sharp is a top electronics and appliance brand that strives to be involved in every aspect of your technological lifestyle. From televisions to washing machines, they do it all. Sharp products are designed to be aesthetically pleasing as well as effective.

• Sharp microwave drawer: The built-in microwave drawer lets you tuck the appliance away when it is not in use.

• Commercial microwaves: Sharp provides medium-duty and heavy-duty commercial microwaves with high wattage, up to 1200 watts.

• Low cost countertop models: Sometimes you just need a microwave without all the frills and special features. Sharp has a full line of affordable and dependable microwaves.

• Quick-cook buttons: Sharp microwaves feature "Popcorn," "Defrost," "Potato" and many more pre-sets.

• Built-in kits: The kit allows you to install the microwave yourself without having to hire someone else to put it in the kitchen.

• Best for: Singles, couples and commercial kitchens. These microwaves come in three basic ranges: smaller ovens, classic ovens and commercial ovens.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs