Sharp Microwave

Compare Microwaves

Research top Microwaves recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Sharp Microwave Model R-309Y. I have owned this microwave for a month now. If I set the microwave for over eight minutes it shuts off completely after about six minutes. After sitting off for three minutes it resets itself. Then I can use it for a 2 minute period again before it shuts itself off again.

Sharp R-451ZS microwave - When I first got it the carousel made a squeaking sound that would come and go and still does but about 11 months later, 3 weeks before the warranty was set to expire I discovered it sparking when it was cooking and there was smoke. I unplugged it and opened the window. The magnetron is blackened and is a spot on the metal place that covers it. I don't trust Sharp at all even if I can get it fixed. Now I have the inconvenience of lugging it with a taxi to a repair center.

Was heating some cream for coffee in cup. I smelled fire. Looked around smoke coming out of micro drawer! Opened drawer. There was a fire on the paper towel under the cup! Got a wet sponge to throw on top of fire. The bottom of my Fiesta cup is scorched and will not come off, the paper towel has a fire ring, and the drawer floor has a scorch that will not scrub off. I tested again with a clean paper towel turned on the micro and it started a fire on another spot on the paper towel! Better unplug. Do not want my brand newly constructed dream house go up in smoke!! Do not know what to do. Not reviews are not so good re. consumer affairs with Sharp.

The inside of microwave model 330Y(S) is completely rusted out, the reviews from everyone else suggests to me there is a defect with this model, on contacting Sharp they said there is nothing they will do about it, telling me if it's not cleaned it will rust, I stated I look after my white goods with care!!! He also stated if you live near the beach the microwave is more likely to rust!? What the? I won't be buying Sharp products again and I will never buy LG either! I spent over $2000 on a fridge, had to be repaired in the warranty time, the metal has a defect, LG won't do anything! Can someone please tell me what is a good brand of microwave to buy which will last! Not happy.

Purchased a brand new home with Sharp in drawer microwave KB-6524ps installed from builder in Dec 2016. By January the microwave would sporadically make a humming sound when turned on and started tripping the circuit. We also noticed it isn't heating food properly anymore. Food heats unevenly, microwave safe containers get extremely hot, yet the food in them is lukewarm. Builder sending out appliance repair co next week but after reading similar and horrible reviews, I'm not hopeful. Not acceptable for so many people to have the same issues and Sharp has not issued a recall for such a high end microwave.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sharp TVs?

We purchased the first Sharp microwave in 2011 as part of kitchen remodel and within years starting see sparks within the microwave and we're told that the magnetron had malfunctioned but were out of warranty. We purchased a replacement Sharp microwave drawer in 11/13 and it started again to have occasional sparking and finally stopped working altogether in 1/17. We had sharp approved services come to see the unit for repair and he declared the magnetron again defective and the unit unserviceable due to the electrical damage. Sharp has not disputed these claims but refuse to reimburse for the microwave only offering a replacement for $195 for the pleasure of purchasing our third possibly defective Sharp microwave drawer and potential fire hazard. We opted to try another brand for safety.

When we built our house 3 years ago the contractor installed a Sharp Insight Drawer microwave. Unfortunately within 2 years the microwave stopped functioning. We could not get Sharp to fix it. We really had another repairman who works for Sharp take the microwave to his shop and repair it. Tonight a large fireball shot out of the side of the microwave directly at my wife and the whole microwave shorted out. This is a very dangerous product and we will be immediately removing it from our home.

This oven was purchased by my son as he was tired of looking at my old one. It too was a Sharp and had it for many years... still worked well but inside was peeling... time to retire it. I've always had Sharp products and never experienced any problems with them, so I'm glad he chose a Sharp and I'm confident this one will serve me as long and as well as the old one. It's a very nice microwave. Didn't need a large one and this really fits the bill. Easy to use and heats food evenly.

The microwave has a defrost cycle and reset button. It is 1000 watts and it was given to me. I use the defrost button often and it works well. It is easy to clean inside and the carousel is easy to take out and clean. The size is appropriate for a dinner plate yet tall enough for a large coffee cup.

My Grandmother bought me a Convection Oven/Microwave combo as a house warming gift. I had it for about a year. I came home to find the inside of the Microwave Door shattered like it was hit with a baseball bat. It also flipped my surge protector. If it was not on the surge protector it would have burnt my house down. When I explained it to them and explained that it could have burnt my house down, they did not care. I sent them pictures and they said that they are not going to cover it. Since I don't have a receipt as my grandmother has passed away and all of her estate has been settled, they will not do anything for me.

I would have at least liked a replacement door sent so I can fix or at least a voucher to have it fixed at no cost. But since they didn't offer anything and said I am on my own, I will be forever posting about the horrible customer service. I am also a property owner with many sharp appliances in them and I will be taking them out of the apartments as well as I am not going to do any more business with them.

Me & my wife got our microwave from a friend/Neighbor. I never buy appliances from Sharp cause they don't last. Our microwave gets hot on the sides and back which is one of the many reasons I rated this microwave this way.

My Sharp Carousel is easy to use! It has two amazing features. One it is easy to read. The other feature is that there's no programming the food, you either hit a button and it automatically turns on or you don't have to put in the time. All you have to do is pick your program and it will start up when you hit the start button.

My microwave is over 20 years old, has never broken or stopped working. I love the money that I've saved over the years not having to shop for or purchase another one! We love our product. Thank you Sharp for such a wonderfully built microwave!!

Purchased this Carousel microwave February or March of 2016. Still searching for receipt to prove this to Sharp customer service who states I purchased it in August of 2015. I understand the need for proof however at this point if I do not find receipt I will need to pay them a prorated fee to ship me a new one. Product was manufactured May 2015. Regardless of me owning it 9 mos or their claim of 16 mos this microwave is a hazard and I am thankful that no serious injury to myself, house or family members occurred.

I came to this site to see if other complaints of this microwave coincided with mine. I have attached a picture as what happened is exactly what happened to Lee from Alabama had to review. Thankfully mine not as severe. So as for me locating a receipt to replace my microwave for free or their prorated fee, no thank you. Sharp should recall these and hope that consumers who purchased these don't get hurt or lose their lives over such an awful product. I have also attached product information serial number, model etc in hopes to warn other consumers.

Nearly a year to the day our house burned down, our replacement microwave (Sharp Carousel) nearly caught our rental house on fire. After a few seconds with popcorn, a big hum started, followed by sparks & flames inside the oven. Not even a year old & Christmas time. Still resolving house fire issue, there's precious little time to take it apart and fix it, or deal with the company denying responsibility. I have kids and watched one house burn. Sadly, my 20 year old Kenmore went down with it. No more Sharp products for me.

Powerful, big enough to cook large dishes in (I rarely use the oven), simple to operate. This old friend was purchased in 1993 and has never had a problem. I have had it checked for leakage, but just in case I don't stay close to it when running. It has been moved 6 times. Not like my friends' expensive built in microwaves that don't last more than a few years!

Microwave simply stopped operating one day. It took nearly two weeks to get a warranty repairman out to the property. They literally looked at the microwave and in less than 10 seconds he stated, "I have seen this problem before - I will order the part and will be back 'in a few weeks'." So, we did not have the microwave for Thanksgiving Dinner. The warranty repairman returned this week, took the microwave out of the cabinet and then said "there is something else wrong with the unit. I need to order another part. I will be back in a few weeks." When we called Sharp they said "the unit cannot be fixed. We need to send you a new one." "Great." we said. "When?" - and then Sharp responded "well, we do not know when. We do not have any in inventory."

After attempting to get any ETA from the rep on the telephone (thru a laborious, inane, scripted response), we simply agreed they would call us weekly. We called the store (Setzer's) that sold us the microwave and they told us to call the warranty number and tell them they had several in stock that could be used. So... we called Sharp back and they said "we have a policy that we cannot work thru the store - it has to come from our stock." I again asked if the policy could be reviewed. They noted they would take a look at it and see what they could do. I am fairly confident that we will not have the microwave in time for XMAS Dinner. As I re-read my comments above, I can only wonder how many other folks have suffered through the Sharp warranty process. This is definitely a company that DOES NOT stand behind their product.

Consumer Increased Rating!

I purchased a Sharp microwave last year, on 11/12/2016. This morning when I tried to use it to cook some potato pieces suddenly the sound of the microwave changed and a burnt smell came. So at once I switched it off. Then I tried to warm already cooked sweet potato pudding just for 30 seconds. Again burnt smell and the sweet potato did not warm at all. When I looked at the warranty, it says "Parts and labor for I year." So exactly one week after purchasing it went out of service, as if the company knew that it will last only one year. This is the last time I purchase one. We -- both in our late 70's mainly use the microwave just to warm the cooked food and occasionally to defrost some vegetables. Purchased from BJ's wholesale store.

My Sharp Microwave Drawer was provided by our builder in our brand new home. I had used the microwave and after three months the microwave made a popping sound, smelled like burnt rubber and emitted smoke. I called the company and was told that even though it was a new microwave, I had to provide proof by faxing my home settlement papers. After retrieving one of the papers from the lock box at the bank, I copied and sent it to Sharp. I received an e-mail back saying they will contact me in 7 to 10 days. After two weeks and my follow up, I received a call from a delivery service, not a repair person, who came and put my microwave in. I have no idea how safe this all is but know this is absolutely unacceptable.

Sharp knows there is a serious problem with these microwaves and that the company did not correctly cover and paint the heating element properly during manufacturing. This is why the microwaves blow up. Sharp is hiding from product recall and liability by refusing to accept adequate responsibility for the company's manufacturing defect. Until Sharp is pressured by a government agency or other institutional board they will keep stuffing the problem and preventing any public notices for as long as they can. Or Sharp will be forced to accept liability because someone was seriously hurt or injured by their faulty product.

I previously had a microwave oven that lasted more than 30 years. My Sharp Carousel Microwave lasted less than 2 years. This product is a POS! That means Performance Occasionally Substandard. They can do better.

Built a brand new house and installed a Sharp Drawer Microwave. The microwave started "burning", no flames, just smoke and really bad smell. Discovered that under the drawer, there was metal that was burning! We were in the house approximately 5 months when this occurred! It took them 2+ months to finally replace the microwave! Now, approximately 2 months later the "replaced" microwave started smoking and smelling. Definitely, a serious problem with these things! They want to do nothing to help you. Now they are sending "someone" out to look at it and it will be another 2+ months before they get back to me! Certainly, a disgrace of a company! They keep telling me that I'm the only one that has ever had this problem??? With two of their microwaves? I should play the lottery!!!

I bought an R-551ZS on Nov. 30, 2016, after ice storm power surge killed old reliable Sharp purchased ca. 1990. That unit would stop, with no display, with the back upper right corner very hot to the touch, and not resume until cooled for 5 mins or so. Sharp sent an identical replacement. It did the very same thing on first use on July 4, 2016. Sharp then sent an R-651ZS, which had worked fine since received about 10 days later, until this evening. I microwaved a cup of coffee for 40 seconds and on opening the door at end of cycle, the display went to "0" instead of the time of day and the internal light was brightening and dimming, while a sizzling sound emanated from inside the back of the unit where there are vent openings near the power cord, where I would assume can be found the electronics and power supply. The sizzling sound stopped the second I unplugged the unit.

As an experiment, I plugged it back in and there was no sizzling sound, the internal light was steady, and I was able to reset the clock. However, I will NOT risk a fire in my home with a disabled sister who might not make it out in time, so I will not be using the unit. I e-mailed the last customer service contact from the last episode within 5 minutes of the event, today, Saturday. I don't expect a reply until the next business day. The reps were very responsive on the earlier two incidents, but at this point I will never buy another product with the Sharp brand name on it. Three defective units in such a short time suggests to me that their quality control is ineffective and perhaps their engineering design department or they're getting defective electronic components from their suppliers.

This is really a shame as the product I bought ca. 1990 was a trooper without a single issue. It was that reliability that induced me to buy that first replacement Sharp unit on Nov. 30, 2015. I haven't looked, but I'm guessing that the 1990 unit was likely U.S.-made and these later units Chinese. There have been many documented cases of Chinese electronics suppliers delivering counterfeit capacitors and such. I'm thinking Sharp may be a victim, in a sense, of similar supply issues, but when it comes right down to it, Sharp is responsible for their own quality control not just in their own manufacturing process but for the parts they buy from vendors that go into their products.

And you can bet that if their product results in a fire, I will hire the world-class attorney (used to be Richard Nixon's guy), who lives just up the road from me, to recover costs of any home repairs. Not that I would let it get to that. The thing won't be used again and I'll be researching other makes for its replacement (not to include Whirlpool, with their record of recent fires in THEIR units!).

It seems ridiculous to think you cannot go into a store and buy a piece of mature technology and have it actually work, SAFELY, in this day and age. These companies building to a low price point have got to realize there is a threshold below which they should not go and which the consumer will not either when pennies saved here or there result in products that are unsafe and potentially deadly. No matter the future response to today's issue, I will have no faith in Sharp to deliver a reliable or safe product. And I don't even much care about a refund. The safety of my home is worth more than what I'll spend to replace this unit tomorrow.

Purchased microwave December 2014 - after year and a half the following occurred. Family sitting in kitchen - microwave not in use - heard crackling noise like when someone puts metal in - then door of microwave shatters like crackled glass - immediately unplugged. Contacted Sharp to find out if this had ever happened before - stated "no" - was told they would contact their technical experts and get back to me? Experts? Said it was not a manufacturing issue??? They asked me if I thought it was a safety concern? Of course - Yes! duh. They opened up a case # on the incident and then offered to prorate a new one, same model for $100.

After jumping through hoops to provide paperwork - finally received the new model. Guess what? They shipped the wrong one - lower wattage and smaller. I was not home to unpack - relative did. When plugged in to use, sounded like a Mack truck - smelled like something was burning up inside and did not heat food. Now back in communication with Sharp to take back incorrect model R-559Y and send another - hopefully the correct model. Very dissatisfied with customer service - should have replaced POC at no charge. Good luck with your safety if you purchase this model or any other Sharp microwaves.

We originally purchased this convection microwave in 2011 and just after the 5 year warranty the motherboard and microwave tube burned up. I found the same model at Home Depot and purchased on 4/9/16 (as we had the original installed into a cabinet and I didn't want to do any construction as I now take care of my paralyzed husband who had a massive stroke 2 years ago).

Last evening the microwave started emitting a very unpleasant chemical odor, so I turned it off and began searching for the cause. The turntable motor shaft, turntable support and the bottom of the removable turntable were all burned. I suspect faulty components in the motor. I spent over 2 hours on the phone this morning with their service department (can't even call it customer service because there was no customer service) with 4 different people all telling me different things.

I explained my fear with having this product repaired as I believe it is the motor and I can't chance a fire in my home as it might be impossible to get my paralyzed husband and myself to safety should it cause a fire. I asked for my money back as it has only been 4 months since it was purchased. They refused. Their supervisor also told me that you are never to cook food in the microwave covered. I asked them to review their own product booklet as page 7 stipulates food is to be covered. I sent them an email and asked that they might consider obtaining additional training to their supervisors on their company's products. Will never purchase another Sharp product and will use my night time hours researching various sites to post complaints on their products. Am also going to find out who the CEO and President are and send them detailed complaints with employee names.

We've been using a Sharp carousel microwave for years with no problem. Yesterday, I was cooking some bacon in it. I stepped away and heard this 'fizzing' noise. I looked and the microwave was full of flames on the inside. In doing some googling, I learned that microwaves can spontaneously catch on fire when NOT in use, too. I know I will never buy another Sharp product and I'm not sure I even want another microwave.

One year and ten days after purchasing a new Sharp Microwave it malfunctioned. There was a burst inside then I found a small burned hole in the metal plate inside. Called Sharp's customer service where I was treated as a very valuable customer. I did follow up every couple of days, because I have learned from other customers to do my due diligence. Each time they were extremely nice and gave updates on the stances of complaint. After 7-days, issue was resolved. Within 10-days, a new microwave was delivered to my doorstep. Shipping tags were supplied so I can send back the defective microwave, too. Very smooth transaction.

A few years back, I purchased a LG refrigerator from Sears. It went defunct after couple years. Sears and LG did nothing for me! Insult upon injury, they did offer a 25 percent discount to purchase another fridge. Needless to say they lost a customer. Forever! I would indeed purchase another Sharp product after this delightful experience with Sharp's customer service department. BTW. The last Sharp microwave I had was 13 years old. I sold it at a yard sale for 20.00. The only reason I replaced it was because I wanted a turntable and sensor heat.

We bought an over-the-counter Sharp microwave two years ago, model no. R-1214-T. It was expensive, but I thought Sharp would stand by their products. I was wrong about Sharp. I am just out of warranty and there is a dangerous problem with sparks and arcs when heating simple items in the unit. When I contacted the company I was given a case number. I provided pictures of the burnt plate on the inside of the unit. They told me they would contact me within 24 hours to let me know their decision. No one contacted me.

I called them several days later. I asked to talk with a supervisor after I was told they weren't going to do anything because I was out of warranty. I was given to Sharp supervisor Chris, employee **, who was of no help. He gave me an authorized dealer phone number, perhaps someone who could fix my microwave. When I called the authorized dealer they shared they no longer deal with Sharp. The authorized dealer said Sharp offers no technical support, also it takes up to 3 months to get parts as well. The authorized dealer shared Sharp is not a good company to work with. I've been left high and dry with a dangerous problematic expensive microwave and no authorized dealers to fix the microwave. A big Sharp yuck from this customer.

We purchased the Sharp drawer microwave MODEL SMD2470AS on 5/30/15 and installed in our kitchen remodel in our home on the Cape in July 2015. (Installation was delayed due to late delivery of the new cabinets.) We used the product the rest of the 2015 summer season and sporadically thru November 2015. We began sporadic usage again in the Spring (April 2016) and then resumed normal usage the end of June 2016. On July 5th, 2016 the microwave died - the drawer wouldn't shut. We had trouble with drawer opening and closing the week before. We called the Sharp customer service number and told to unplug and then plug in again - that did nothing. The representative then provided a business name in Hyannis for us to contact for repair at our expense. This product cost us $1079 plus tax and worked ONLY for the equivalent of 4 to 6 month normal usage. THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS.

This microwave stopped working when it was 1 year and 2 months old. While the drawer still worked (a common complaint) the unit would no longer heat food. I followed the instructions and called Sharp for an authorized servicer. Long story short, no one within a two-hour drive would service my appliance, whether in warranty or out. Sharp's customer "help" line was useless - and their annoying people just kept reading from their scripts and passing me to yet another person that would read me service provider lists several hundred miles away. I was on the phone with them for well over an hour.

I also called the place I bought the unit from (Appliance Factory Outlet) - they do not service anything, but dump the service on another company. That company (Brand Source) would not work on the microwave, citing inability to get parts reliably. I also talked to one other service professional that I found locally, and he would not work on the unit, citing how difficult it was to work with Sharp and that the pay for warranty work did not cover his costs. Note: the magnetron was still under warranty, even though the rest of the parts were not, so I had to get someone to confirm if the problem was in or out of warranty. If you are foolish enough to buy one of these units, make sure that you buy it from a company that SERVICES THEIR OWN APPLIANCE SALES. The other option is to pay the extra money for an extended warranty - then the insurance company has to deal with the problem.

We purchased a Sharp Microwave when we built our house 16 years ago. It's a stainless steel countertop model but it has a trim kit and it's in a cabinet so it looks like it's built in. We have had three of basically the same model which have all failed for various reasons. We kept purchasing the same model because it fits in the trim kit. However the most recent malfunction was very dangerous. The unit turned ON when we opened the door. We called Sharp to report this very scary malfunction. The unit was cooking our family. After sitting on our complaint for days and making us jump through hoops by sending pictures etc. Sharp told us there was nothing they could do because the product was out of warranty. Lousy product and company. Wouldn't be surprised if they aren't a defendant in a class action lawsuit soon. Stay away from Sharp's very dangerous, junk products.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Sharp is a top electronics and appliance brand that strives to be involved in every aspect of your technological lifestyle. From televisions to washing machines, they do it all. Sharp products are designed to be aesthetically pleasing as well as effective.

• Sharp microwave drawer: The built-in microwave drawer lets you tuck the appliance away when it is not in use.
  • Commercial microwaves: Sharp provides medium-duty and heavy-duty commercial microwaves with high wattage, up to 1200 watts.
  • Low cost countertop models: Sometimes you just need a microwave without all the frills and special features. Sharp has a full line of affordable and dependable microwaves.
  • Quick-cook buttons: Sharp microwaves feature "Popcorn," "Defrost," "Potato" and many more pre-sets.
  • Built-in kits: The kit allows you to install the microwave yourself without having to hire someone else to put it in the kitchen.
  • Best for Singles, couples and commercial kitchens. These microwaves come in three basic ranges: smaller ovens, classic ovens and commercial ovens.

Compare Microwaves