Protect what matters most

Protect yourself from the unexpected - Shop home warranty companies.

Protect my home
Sharp Microwave
2.02/5

Sharp Microwave

Protect what matters most

Protect yourself from the unexpected - Shop home warranty companies.

Protect my home

162 Sharp Microwave Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 8, 2019

We purchased this microwave 7 months ago, we have had no issues up to this point, granted we do not use it every day, it smells as if something is burning. My whole kitchen smells of burning electric. Didn’t have any issues until now. I’ll be taking this back to Lowe's. It’s model SMC 1452CH.

Original review: May 2, 2019

I purchased the microwave in Jan 2014 from Best Buy. It was the display model. The manufacturer date is Oct 2011 but was not used. Last night while defrosting bananas, it smelled like our house was on fire! We didn't immediately consider the microwave because there were no flames or smoke but it is under the granite countertop in our island. We checked everywhere in the house looking for a fire, even turning off the can lights but did not find any flames.

We decided it had to be the microwave and removed it from the cabinet. The inside smells just like a fire. It was very scary. I called Sharp this morning (knowing it is out of warranty) and they honestly didn't care a bit. Said they could send out a service tech for a fee. I am not interested in fixing the microwave that could have burned down our house. I am disappointed in the lack of concern from Sharp. Will not buy any more Sharp products. I have submitted my information to ClassAction.org. Hopefully Sharp will find a conscience and address this issue.

Get expert buying tips about Microwaves delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 28, 2019

This is the second Sharp microwave I have caught fire in less than 5 years! Each one started a fire inside and left a burnt mark on the right inside wall of the microwave where there is a small cover plate that seems to be made of paper! The first microwave fire was caused by using sensor cook, the microwave was still cooking when I saw a small flame from the right side of the microwave. I have since replaced the microwave with the same model.

The second fire was just last week while I was reheating a muffin for 20 seconds, I did not see the fire but I smell the toxic fumes when I open the door and also found the burnt on the paper covering on the right inside wall of the microwave. Same spot as the first fire last time. I am concern that this microwave is unsafe to use, I mainly use the microwave for reheat and I am not a frequent user of it. Not more than 10 minutes a day. So I don’t think the microwave should have this kind of performance. How do I file a consumer complain about this safety issue?

Original review: March 13, 2019

This is my second Sharp microwave to burn up. We called the company the first time to report our microwave had went on fire and my husband hurt his hand throwing it out the back door. It was right before Christmas so we were forced to go out and get another microwave for the holidays because they refused to handle this in a timely manner. We purchased another sharp thinking that they would reimburse us when we settled with the company. They sent me a disclosure letter that I refused to sign so they were not willing to discuss any reimbursement after that.

Moving forward a couple of years later with the second microwave while cooking a Potato, on the potato setting the microwave started to smoke up the whole house. It was a electrical smell and fried itself out. When I called the company to explain that this is the second time this has happened and to ask if maybe there was a recall they said no. After sending photo upon their request they contacted me and offered ME TO BUY another one directly from THEM. They also wanted the sticker from inside the microwave and for me to sign a disclosure. Bottom line... this is happening very often and probably should be recalled. I hope someone doesn't get really hurt. This is negligence.

Original review: March 10, 2019

I’ve had my microwave for 7 months and the bottom is rusting and paint flaking. Is there somebody I can contact to maybe get a new one. I don’t understand because as soon as something would spill I would make sure it was cleaned up and I’m the only person in the house to use it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sharp TVs?

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I bought this Sharp Carousel microwave (Model SMC1840CS) in January 2018 to replace our old Sharp that we had used for a number of years. This one worked well, until it quit heating on February 23, 2019. From troubleshooting it sounds like the magnetron is done. I used the 30 second button for something and remember smelling a strange odor, like a mechanical smell, from the microwave. The food seemed warm enough so I didn't worry about it. The next time I used it the buttons worked, display worked, light came on, microwave turned on (made a louder buzzing sound), it beeped at the end. However, the food was still ice cold.

Since I'm writing this review there were some other minor issues with the Sharp that we didn't like, but just dealt with. The buttons were difficult to see in low light (I can't be the only one who doesn't want to have to turn on a light to be able to use the microwave.) The display was extra bright, but it didn't help with trying to see the buttons. It blinded you, like high beams on a dark road. Backlit buttons would have been nice. The beep at the end was louder and beeped longer than necessary and it didn't stop if you opened the door. You had to touch the stop button to shut it off. So if you only need a microwave for about a year, this may be the microwave for you.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

Unit bought Oct 2015 and installed by builder. In the last few weeks it has made a few unusual noises and humming sounds. Last week it failed to open or power up. We also noticed a burning type odor. Called appliance dealer who sold the unit and they discovered magnetron tube totally burnt along with much of the interior of unit. Cost $90.00 for inspection. Sharp called us and offered to replace unit for $325.00. There is a 5 year warranty on tube. My main concern now is why so many of these $1000 plus unit fail and potentially are a fire hazard. I have written Sharp voicing my concerns and feel a recall is in order especially if there is a fire concern as reported by many consumers and if they have addressed the faulty part. I do not want the same unit even if free if that hazard exist. Sharp needs to address this issue now.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Three months after installing the under counter microwave, while heating up a frozen patty, a couple of seconds into a 40 second cooking cycle, the unit started buzzing and emitting smoke. The smoke smelled electrical. Immediately turned off unit. Sharp's first response was to try to sell me their extended warranty. (Which I will probably do if and when they repair or replace my unit.) I see that other people are having the same issue with this model. I strongly recommend, "DO NOT BUY."

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I purchased my microwave just over a year ago! It's an R270SLM from Tesco for £80. It did seem to collect water inside after only using it a few times! Rust appeared inside at the back all along the bottom edge. Stopped working last week. The front panel doesn't light up anymore, when switched on at the plug if you open the door the plate will rotate and the inside light comes on! I give this product one star as zero is not an option. Well Sharp get your act together. Looking at other reviews they were all about Shoddy goods. What are you doing to rectify this? The Consumer Purchasing Act of 2015 says products should last a reasonable amount of time. To purchase a microwave every year is not reasonable thing to ask.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

My Sharp microwave is 1 1/2 years old and the bottom under the turntable ring is rusting. My first microwave was a Sharp, and it lasted 20 years. I'm very disappointed because I've had several different microwaves since that never rusted. Is there any kind of paint I can use to cover up the rust?

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

Purchased a Sharp microwave about 1 year ago for about $130 approximately a year ago. Recently after I use it, it cuts off the power to it. I have to unplug it then plug it back in then it works again until the next time or sometimes 2 times. Then it happens again. Wtf? I've had $80 microwaves that still work fine years later that I've given away. From dull minds come Sharp products?

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I recently was wiping out the inside the microwave and noticed the paint was bubbling and peeling. I called Sharp and was told to send pictures. After two phone calls they offered a replacement at my cost! Why would I pay for a most likely refurbished item. The customer service and outcome has clearly changed my opinion of recommending Sharp appliances or purchasing one EVER AGAIN!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I purchased the Sharp microwave on June 26, 2018. Many times the glass cooking tray did not remain on the coupler when it was cooking and especially when removing items from the microwave. Several times I have experienced the microwave cooking for five (5) minutes and it just shut off ? powered off. Then I had to wait about ten (10) minutes before it powered on again. When it powered on again the microwave was not in the cook mode. The microwave had to be reprogrammed. What can I do about these problems.

Sharp's Response: “I understand that the turntable tray will not stay on the coupler in your SHARP SMC1132CS microwave and the unit also shuts down. I do apologize for the inconvenience and I will be happy to advise. Where is the unit located e.g. on the counter, in a trim kit? Is the unit properly ventilated with at least 4 of space around the unit? Have you tried unplugging the microwave for approximately 30 seconds and then re-plug to see if the issue remains?”

My Response: “The microwave is on the counter. It is not enclosed in a trim kit. The microwave is properly ventilated. Yes we have unplugged the microwave and moved it on the counter to a different outlet. The problem continued to exist. We have used the first outlet for another appliance and we have not had any problems with that appliance working properly. We checked with an electrician and the power sources in the kitchen are very adequate to accommodate the microwave. What is the next step to correct this problem?”

Sharp's Response: “Thank you for responding with that information. In order to move forward with your case, we ask that you send a video of the unit shutting down to cecrl@sharpsec.com, and attach your case number in the subject line. The video should be approximately 10mb in size. After we have received your video, your case will be sent to the relevant department and you will be contacted within one (1) business day.” My Response: “I cannot imagine that you would expect someone to try to make a video of the unknown. We do not know when the microwave is going to shut down, if so we would not use it at that time. This is the first Sharp product we have purchased and it will be the last. We will discontinue using the microwave and purchase a brand that is more severable and reliable. This microwave has been such a headache. We will not donate it to any organization. We will put it where it should be-in the trash.”

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I received a Sharp Carousel microwave for Christmas 2017, it's now August 2018 and the microwave is broke. It started to spark electricity no matter what was in it. I contacted the company about the issue and said the warranty had ran out and I needed to pay for a new unit. I am completely unsatisfied with the way the company handled the matter and will NEVER buy or recommend their products to anyone ever.

Original review: July 23, 2018

I have had the built in SHARP microwave model SMD2470AS for 11 months and use it occasionally. Tonight my husband was melting butter for his popcorn in a glass bowl and the microwave started spewing out white smoke that smelled of an electrical fire. We thought the house was going to catch on fire! So scary! He turned off the breaker and kept an eye on it until it finally stopped smoking. This is a very expensive unit and this should not be happening! Unfortunately I’m assuming the one year warranty is probably over since this was a model home we bought and it was installed prior to our purchase of the home. (Even though it was never used until we bought the home.) I’ll be calling tomorrow.

Original review: July 23, 2018

I purchased a new Sharp microwave last year and it had been fine. Sometimes it seemed like it was overheating but I dismissed it thinking maybe it was normal for such a large microwave. Yesterday I put a bag of popcorn in on the popcorn setting and walked away. I started smelling smoke and went back to see what was wrong. The microwave was on fire on the inside and literally melted part of the plate that goes on the bottom of the microwave. I'm very glad that it wasn't worse than that but that very easily could have been my home burning down because of this. While looking on here at other reviews I see several other people have had similar experiences with their products. Something should seriously be done before something worse happens to someone. I will definitely not be buying another Sharp product.

Original review: June 29, 2018

I threw some popcorn in tonight for a movie. Went out on the porch for like 30 seconds. Came back in and i smelled smoke and the microwave was completely without power. After waiting for the smoke to clear, I opened the door to see the wave control door (or whatever that little door on the right is called) had completely burnt all the way to the top of the unit. The microwave was maybe a year old. I will not be buying Sharp ever again!

Original review: June 2, 2018

SHARP R-651ZS microwave - This is the questionnaire they emailed my mother when she reported the spark while popping popcorn. It's like they just don't want to replace their defective product. Why would they need to know who was in the house when it happened. They don't know my family. We had this microwave since January 2018. 3 months in and then we started having issues. With a loud grinding noise and an electrically burst while popping popcorn. After reading some of these reviews with similar issues I would think they would have no problem replacing their product.

"1. When did the incident happen? 2. Who was home at the time of the incident. a. Who normally uses the product? All of us listed in question 2. 3. What was the customer doing at the time of the incident? 4. Where was the product at the time of the incident? a. If the unit is in an RV, or Airplane, who installed the unit? 5. Was the unit mounted or on a countertop? 6. Was an extension cord or power strip being used? 7. What was the customer preparing? a. If cooking potatoes, how many and what kind of potatoes were they? n/a. b. If cooking popcorn, what size (i.e. Regular or snack sized). How many ounces and what brand? 8. How was the food prepared? 9. If using paper towel or paper plate, what is the brand name of the towel or plate? n/a. a. Does it contain recyclable materials? 10. What type of dish was used? n/a. a. Any damage to the dish? The dish?

"11. Was the turntable tray in place? a. Was the turntable turning? Was there any damage to the turntable tray? 12. If the unit is a convection unit, what mode was the unit operating in? 13. What feature buttons were used? a. If high power and only the timer were used, how long was the timer set for? b. If used features/ buttons - which features/buttons were used and how many times was the button pushed? 14. Was a feature/button used for more than one cycle? 15. Did the customer hear any noise or see anything unusual at the time of the incident? 16. Does the customer recall what was showing on the display when they found the issue? 17. What happened (i.e. smoke, fire, sparking, etc.)? Sparking. 18. Was the oven still running when the customer found the fire/smoke etc.? 19. Were there actual flames (if applicable)?

"20. Where did the flames/sparking/smoke come from (i.e. food. the turntable. the wall, the ceiling on the unit, etc.)? 21. How did the problem go away? 22. Was the fire department called? a. If yes, what was the name of the fire department? n/a. b. Did the customer get a fire report? n/a. 23. Was there any personal injury? n/a. a. If yes, who was injured? n/a. b. What were their symptoms or injuries? n/a. c. Was medical attention sought? n/a. 24. Was there any property damage? a. If yes, what was damaged? n/a. 25. Is there damage to the product? 26. What is the customer seeking from Sharp? 27. Where is the product now? 28. Was there anything near the product at the time of the incident? 29. Did the customer experience any issues with the product prior to the incident? 30. Was the product previously repaired?"

Original review: May 18, 2018

We bought this microwave (Model Number SMC1840CS) July last year at a Walmart. We usually don't buy appliances from Walmart but we just moved to the area and it was the closest store. A couple times over the year it would make a funny noise while microwaving. Then this morning, I went to heat something up, and it was making a very loud buzzing noise. The item did not heat up. I tried 3 more times unplugging and plugging back in and nothing. No heat, just a loud buzzing noise. I need to go out today and buy a new microwave now since I use it often. I will not be buying a Sharp, that is certain!

Original review: March 27, 2018

I have owned 3 Sharp microwaves. The first one lasted almost 20 years. I don't expect anywhere near that for this new one. I purchased this one in March 2015. The roller ring under the glass tray lost a wheel. I called Sharp with all my info (model, serial #). I was then told they don't have that part. I was given a number to a company who doesn't carry Sharp parts yet and said Sharp is constantly giving their number out. I have searched online with no luck. My model # doesn't even exist so how am I to find a part. You have to use the ring for your glass tray so I guess I'm out of luck and need to buy a new microwave over such an important part! I will say one thing... MY NEXT MICROWAVE WILL NOT BE A SHARP!

Original review: March 19, 2018

I bought a newly built home that had this brand appliance package installed which included the Sharp Microwave Model KB6524PS. After living there a few months, the microwave started to smoke without notice after I tried to use it. I contacted Sharp and they could not have been less helpful. I gave them all the model information and was told it was no longer under warranty even though I had only had possession of it for months. They also could not identify an authorized repair facility in my area. I am afraid to use the microwave and am dreading bringing in a unauthorized repairman.

Original review: March 16, 2018

Waste of $$$. Electrical until burned within 1yr of purchase. 30 secs of heating and suddenly my entire kitchen was full of smoke, then the entire house with the worst smell ever. The smoke was so bad you would have thought the entire house was on fire. This should be taken off the market before it burns someone house down!!! Absolutely pathetic! Smart should have to come purify the air in my home and dry clean all fabrics due to the smell I can't get out!

Original review: March 5, 2018

I bought this microwave back in Oct of 2017 and spent 1,200 and go to use it and started making a loud sound and did not work anymore. Now this happened on March 2 and I call P.C. Richards and talk to someone there to come look at it since I have a 5 yr warranty on it. They finally call me back on Monday which is fine and I talk to the manager. He told me he was recommending that we replace the microwave and that they would be in contact with me. So I get a call from P.C. service and they spoke with Sharp and that they were going to call me about sending a service guy. Service guy? I don't want it serviced I want a new one, it's 3 months old? Spoke to this guy in the morning and still didn’t hear from this company.

The reviews on this microwave are horrible and they need to fix the problem once and for all!!! I will never buy any products from this company ever again. This is my fault for not looking up the reviews on this piece of garbage that they sell. Soon I will walk into P.C. Richards place and drop it on their doorstep and call my lawyer, because they know that this is a problem and they like to play games. Done with Sharp!!!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I purchased a new microwave in July 2017 - Model R-1214-T. I placed a microwave meal in the oven and set the timer. When I looked through the oven window several minutes later, there was a flame and a smoky smell. Something in the microwave happened that was hot enough that it melted a hole in the glass turntable. Glass melts at 2600 to 2800 degrees. There was also a blackened spot on the floor of the oven showing signs of the severe event. I contacted Sharp and they concluded that there was a fire caused by food build-up.

Their conclusion is not possible. First, it wasn't a fire as much as it was some type of electrical event. It was hot enough to melt a hole in the glass turntable and incinerate the microwave meal. Second, they are claiming the soot from the incinerated microwave meal is evidence of the food build-up. They are effectively claiming the results of the event caused the event. Fortunately, it didn't go beyond the oven and burn my house down. Unfortunately, Sharp is not taking responsibility for a dangerous product.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

Purchased a carousel microwave that had a defective hole in the top. I immediately sent pictures asking for a replacement, and after NUMEROUS phone calls that dragged into weeks, I was told they can no longer find an identical one to replace mine, even though I had just purchased it! They gave me no other resolution and no one contacted me again. I gave up trying to contact them because I was just passed from 1 person to the next. Very unhappy with the entire experience. I paid $300 for a microwave with a hole. I sure hope there's nothing dangerous coming out of that hole.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

We had a Sharp Microwave of this size that lasted for 15 years until it gave out, so decided to get another Sharp of this size. The SMC1442CS 1.4 cu.ft. met our requirements, so I bought one. It has some basic design & engineering flaws that are the reason for this review: 1.) The control panel is not backlit & the print on it is impossible to read in a well lit kitchen. How much money did they save by eliminating that feature?

2.) The numerical keys from 1 through 6 serve several functions. If I or my 4 year old grandson push the 6 key, it immediately comes on & cooks for 6 minutes. A more logical choice would have been to push a [EXPRESS] button then the [6] button so g'son could not have been able to turn it on with the push of one button.

3.) To set the time & cook for 65 seconds, I must push the [TIME COOK] button, then the [6] button, the [5] button, and the [START] button. A more logical choice would have been to push the [6] and the [5] & the [START] button with no need for a [TIME COOK] button.

This might seem trivial, but it is unsafe with a child in the house. It has "CHILD SAFETY LOCK" feature, but it is a nuisance, inconvenience & annoyance. If # 2) & 3) were implemented, the "CHILD SAFETY LOCK" would be unnecessary. This is why I rated it ✮✮ (Dissatisfied with the experience). I do not recommend this product.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I purchased a drawer microwave from an appliance dealer 1 year ago. Within 6 months, the unit had an awful electrical burning smell with every use. I returned it to the dealer. I had bought an extended service. He called Sharp and fixed the unit like they told him. Something about the magnetron? Now only 4 months after the repair, it again has the awful smell with each use. The dealer and I both called Sharp Customer Service. We were both told, "We will not be able to help you since you unit is now out of warranty." When I told them that the unit could be a fire risk, I was told, "Well, do not use the unit then." I will never buy a Sharp microwave again!!! I told them that I would report this as a risk and encourage others not to buy this unit. No answer.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

I purchased a Sharp countertop microwave model smc1131cw, serial #d770610433 from Best Buy. I took it home and checked out the keypad to make sure everything was operational. Everything worked except the power level button. So I returned it to Best Buy and they ordered another one. I waited another 4 days for the second one. This time I set it up in the store to make sure everything was working. Same thing, the power level button didn't work.

I called Sharp customer service to find out if it was the machine or me that was doing something wrong. Wouldn't you know I got some guy in some foreign country with a heavy accent. It came down to him not being able to help me. He ask me if the store could pull another microwave from the stockroom and check it. So I had to get a manager to approve this and when they went to get it the guy on the phone says I can't stay on the phone any longer. That set me off and I told him so and hung up. The guy at Best Buy then comes back with another Sharp and we checked it out and that one had the same problem with the power level button not working. That was 3 Sharp microwaves that were the same model that didn't work. Is there any quality control at the manufacturer? Oh that's right, they're made in CHINA!!!! Don't waste your time with Sharp.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

We purchased the Sharp 30 inch drawer microwave in the fall of 2013, by August 2017, it is broken, with a repair estimate of $720 (broken magnetron) - the microwave brand new cost $850 - which we considered a high end microwave at the time. The replacement unit is now priced over $1,000. We were told by the repairman that popcorn and bacon ruined the microwave. Tried to work with Sharp to at least get a discount on a new one and we were declined. Now we are understanding that the magnetron usually comes with a 5 year warranty... Which neither Sharp nor the technician bothered to mention. Very disappointed with the quality of the microwave - our previous microwave lasted 15 years. Also disappointed with the follow up service and their lack of support for their own product.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

My wife and I have had very poor experience with 3 Sharp Microwave ovens. 4 years ago we bought 2 Microwaves. One was a 20-litre capacity Sharp which went wrong while under warranty and was replaced by an identical model. This too simply broke down and could not be repaired satisfactorily. So we simply threw it away. The second microwave in question, is a Sharp R-959M-A with grill and convection. This is cutting out when in use and is evidently overheating. We emailed Sharp in UK and they did not even bother to reply. We got it checked by a qualified technician and are seriously considering simply throwing it away because it appears that Sharp machines have an unreasonably short trouble-free lifetime and that it is not cost effective to repair them... We will not buy another Sharp product.

Sharp TVs expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Sharp is a top electronics and appliance brand that strives to be involved in every aspect of your technological lifestyle. From televisions to washing machines, they do it all. Sharp products are designed to be aesthetically pleasing as well as effective.

• Sharp microwave drawer: The built-in microwave drawer lets you tuck the appliance away when it is not in use.

• Commercial microwaves: Sharp provides medium-duty and heavy-duty commercial microwaves with high wattage, up to 1200 watts.

• Low cost countertop models: Sometimes you just need a microwave without all the frills and special features. Sharp has a full line of affordable and dependable microwaves.

• Quick-cook buttons: Sharp microwaves feature "Popcorn," "Defrost," "Potato" and many more pre-sets.

• Built-in kits: The kit allows you to install the microwave yourself without having to hire someone else to put it in the kitchen.

• Best for: Singles, couples and commercial kitchens. These microwaves come in three basic ranges: smaller ovens, classic ovens and commercial ovens.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs