ServicePlus Home Warranty vs. First American Home Warranty
What is the difference between ServicePlus Home Warranty and First American Home Warranty?
Home warranties are a good way to protect yourself from expensive home repair bills not covered by insurance. Finding a company that fits your needs and budget can be tough, though. That’s why we’ve broken down two home warranty companies side by side to make your decision easier.
|Monthly premium cost||$53.67 to $60.33||$38 to $48.50|
|Average cost for combo plan||$56.17 (Platinum)||$48.50|
|Annual premium cost||$569 to $649||$420 to $546|
|Service call fee||$75||$85|
|Discounts available||2 months free and limited roof coverage with annual payment||Discount for paying annually|
|$53.67 to $60.33||$56.17 (Platinum)||$569 to $649||$75||2 months free and limited roof coverage with annual payment|
|$38 to $48.50||$48.50||$420 to $546||$85||Discount for paying annually|
|Plans available||Gold, Platinum||Basic Plan, Premier Plan|
|Combo plan covered items||16||17|
|Service recall period||30 days||Not specified|
|Availability||43 states||29 states|
|Gold, Platinum||9||7||16||30 days||43 states|
|Basic Plan, Premier Plan||7||10||17||Not specified||29 states|
|Built-in food centers||—||—|
|Instant hot/cold water dispensers||—||—|
|Ranges, ovens and cooktops|
|Garage door openers|
|Roof leak repairs||Add-on||—|
Reputation on ConsumerAffairs
|Overall star rating||3.3||3.9|
|Verified customer reviews||Read reviews||Read reviews|
All prices are based on a quote for a house of less than 5,000 square feet in Austin, Texas. All information is accurate as of publishing.
ServicePlus Home Warranty
ServicePlus Home Warranty, formerly called Total Home Protection, offers home warranty plans that include a combination of systems and appliances coverage. It provides a 30-day money-back guarantee, and customers have access to an online portal and claims center.
ServicePlus Home Warranty plans
ServicePlus Home Warranty has two plans:
- Gold: Gold is ServicePlus’s more basic package. Coverage includes your home’s plumbing system (and stoppages), water heater, whirlpool tub, electrical system, oven, range, stove, cooktop, sump pump, built-in microwave, dishwasher, garbage disposal, trash compactor, ductwork, garage door opener and ceiling and exhaust fans.
- Platinum: Platinum includes everything covered in the Gold package plus additional coverage for your air conditioning system, heating system, washer, dryer and refrigerator.
Add-on coverage is available for both packages. This includes options for your:
- Roof leaks (limited)
- Central vacuum
- Sump pump
- Well pumps
- Septic system
- Septic plumbing
- Second refrigerator
- Stand-alone freezer
- Water softener
- Ice maker
What ServicePlus Home Warranty customers say
ServicePlus Home Warranty generally has positive reviews on our site. Many customers say the representatives take time to answer questions and concerns. However, some customers have expressed concern with unresponsive service when dealing with claims and other issues.
First American Home Warranty
First American Home Warranty provides you with access to a 24/7 online portal and claims center for a relatively low price. The company prescreens technicians, and it has a policy to replace things that cannot be repaired.
First American Home Warranty plans
First American Home Warranty offers two home warranty plans. One focuses on appliances, and the other has a combination of appliances and systems coverage.
- Basic Plan: The Basic Plan includes coverage for your garbage disposal, dishwasher, oven range, cooktop, microwave, trash compactor, washer-dryer and refrigerator.
- Premier Plan: The Premier Plan covers everything in the Basic Plan plus your home’s plumbing (including stoppages), water heater, heating system, ductwork, electrical system, garage door opener and central vacuum system.
Other coverage options are available for an additional fee. These include your central air conditioning, pool, spa, well pump, additional refrigeration and a suite of coverages the company calls its First Class Upgrade.
What First American Home Warranty customers say
First American Home Warranty customers usually speak positively about the company. They are generally pleased with the technicians/contractors that the company partners with, and they say that the company’s representatives are polite and the claims process is easy. However, some customers are frustrated with the amount of time claims are open and express dissatisfaction with customer service.
Bottom line: ServicePlus Home Warranty or First American Home Warranty?
ServicePlus Home Warranty and First American Home Warranty offer similar home warranty options. Both have packages that combine coverage for appliances and home systems, and both offer discounts if you pay for a year’s worth of coverage upfront.
- ServicePlus Home Warranty is best for people who want more add-on options.
- First American Home Warranty is best for people who only want coverage for appliances.
You’re signed up
We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.