ServicePlus Home Warranty vs. America's 1st Choice Home Club
What is the difference between ServicePlus Home Warranty and America's 1st Choice Home Club?
ServicePlus Home Warranty and America’s 1st Choice Home Club are two home warranty companies offering multiple plans covering both household systems and appliances. We compare the companies’ coverages, costs, service fees and customer reviews to help you determine which is right for your budget and home.
|Monthly premium cost||$53.67 to $60.33||$32.08 to $55|
|Average cost for combo plan||$56.17 (Platinum)||$55|
|Annual premium cost||$569 to $649||$330 to $550|
|Service call fee||$75||$75, $100 or $125|
|Discounts available||2 months free and limited roof coverage with annual payment||Discount for paying annually|
|$53.67 to $60.33||$56.17 (Platinum)||$569 to $649||$75||2 months free and limited roof coverage with annual payment|
|$32.08 to $55||$55||$330 to $550||$75, $100 or $125||Discount for paying annually|
|Plans available||Gold, Platinum||Systems, Silver, Gold, Platinum|
|Combo plan covered items||16||16|
|Service recall period||30 days||Up to 3 years|
|Availability||43 states||49 states|
|Gold, Platinum||9||7||16||30 days||43 states|
|Systems, Silver, Gold, Platinum||8||8||16||Up to 3 years||49 states|
|Built-in food centers||—||—|
|Instant hot/cold water dispensers||—||Add-on|
|Ranges, ovens and cooktops|
|Garage door openers|
|Roof leak repairs||Add-on||Add-on|
Reputation on ConsumerAffairs
|Overall star rating||3.3||4.4|
|Verified customer reviews||Read reviews||Read reviews|
All prices are based on a quote for a house of less than 5,000 square feet in Austin, Texas. All information is accurate as of publishing.
ServicePlus Home Warranty
ServicePlus Home Warranty, formerly known as Total Home Protection, offers two plans: Gold and Platinum. Both have a 30-day waiting period before you can make a claim, unless you have proof of prior home warranty coverage from another provider that hasn’t lapsed. Homeowners can make claims 24/7 online or on the claims hotline by phone. ServicePlus Home Warranty has a network of licensed and insured contractors who are graded through a customer satisfaction program. Each visit requires a $75 service fee. Contracts come with a 30-day money-back guarantee. ServicePlus Home Warranty plans are available in most states.
ServicePlus Home Warranty plans
- Gold: The Gold plan includes coverage for your plumbing system and stoppages, electrical system, ductwork, oven, range, stove, cooktop, built-in microwave, dishwasher, garbage disposal, water heater, sump pump, trash compactor, ceiling and exhaust fans, whirlpool bathtub and garage door opener.
- Platinum: The Platinum plan is ServicePlus Home Warranty’s higher-level plan, covering everything in Gold plus your air conditioning system, heating system, washer, dryer and refrigerator.
- Optional coverages: You can add on coverage for a central vacuum, limited roof leak, well pump, septic plumbing, stand-alone freezer, water softener, refrigerator ice maker, pool and spa and second appliances and systems.
What ServicePlus Home Warranty customers say
In reviews, many ServicePlus Home Warranty customers mention their salesperson by name, saying they were helpful. Reviewers repeatedly use words such as “friendly” and “professional.” Reviews also mention an easy process for claims. In some cases, customers report long wait times or limited availability of contractors, but these issues aren’t common.
America's 1st Choice Home Club
America’s 1st Choice Home Club sells four home warranty plans: Systems, Silver, Gold and Platinum. Coverage starts after a 30-day waiting period, except if you purchase it as part of a home sale — in which case the closing date is the date your policy begins. Homeowners can make claims online or using the phone service line, which is available 24/7. AFC Home Club has a nationwide network of contractors, but it also allows its customers to use a licensed and insured technician of their choice. Plans have a service call fee of $75, $100 or $125 and come with benefits like free credit monitoring, parts discounts and savings at restaurants and retailers. They also include a guarantee on repairs for the life of the plan — either one or three years.
America's 1st Choice Home Club plans
- Systems: The Systems plan is the most basic option, covering the air conditioning, heating system, electrical system, plumbing system, ductwork and water heater.
- Silver: The Silver plan covers appliances including your washer and dryer, range, oven, refrigerator, dishwasher, garbage disposal and garage door opener.
- Gold: The Gold plan includes everything covered in the Systems and Silver plans.
- Platinum: The Platinum plan covers everything in the Gold plan plus a built-in microwave, fans, an ice maker and plumbing stoppages.
- Optional coverages: AFC Home Club offers add-on coverage for a pool and spa, roof leak repairs, central vacuum, well pump, septic system, sump pump and stand-alone freezer.
What America's 1st Choice Home Club customers say
America's 1st Choice Home Club customers use words like “wonderful” and “excellent” when describing the claims experience. In some cases, customers mention communication problems and expensive policies. Reviews are mostly positive, with homeowners happy about their ability to choose their own contractor; they say this feature sets the company apart.
Bottom line: ServicePlus Home Warranty or America's 1st Choice Home Club?
Overall, America’s 1st Choice Home Club has several advantages over ServicePlus Home Warranty: It has more plans, more service call fee options, the ability to choose your own contractor and a repair guarantee that lasts for the duration of your coverage. Both companies have a similar number of reviews on ConsumerAffairs, but AFC Home Club has a slightly higher star rating. Starting prices at the time of publishing are also slightly lower with AFC Home Club.
- ServicePlus Home Warranty is best for customers who prefer to cover appliances and systems and want a long list of add-ons to choose from.
- America’s 1st Choice Home Club is best for customers who want more plan variety and the ability to pay less in premiums in exchange for a higher service call fee. It’s also best for homeowners who want to choose their own contractor.
You’re signed up
We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.