Sears Home Services

Choice Home Warranty

Choice Home Warranty Reviews

View Plan

About Sears Home Services

Sears’ home warranty program is called Sears Home Services. The program covers repairs for a wide range of major brands, and Sears employs over 2,500 manufacturer-trained technicians with an average of 10 years of experience.

Pros & Cons

Pros
    • Covers systems and appliances regardless of age, make or model
    • Offers coverage for a single-family residence
    • You can choose packages targeted at only systems or appliances
    Cons
    • No add-ons
    • Coverage caps on some systems and appliances
    • Only offers set packages

Sears Home Services coverage and plans

Sears Home Services provides coverage for a wide variety of systems and appliances, no matter the age, make or model. This company has a 30-day wait time for repairs, with a 180-day workmanship guarantee. Sears Home Services offers four different plans, with the monthly and yearly prices varying by state.

Plan details

Sears Home Services offers four different plans that may have different offerings in certain states. While they do vary in certain states, most of the coverage for the plans is the same. Here’s an example of what you can expect:

Add-on coverage

Unlike its competitors, this company does not include add-on or a la carte coverage options. It does, however, include discounts on parts and repairs with each plan, such as:

• 25% discount on noncovered appliances and HVAC repairs performed by a Sears technician
    • 15% discount at PartsDirect
    • 12% discount at Sears Home Improvement

What does Sears Home Services not cover?

Like most warranty companies, Sears’ home warranty has many limitations and exclusions in its contract that are important to consider. It only covers mechanical failures due to mechanical parts, and it excludes things such as cosmetic damage. Additionally, Sears Home Services excludes:

• Units located outside the covered property or within crawl spaces
    • Structural components
    • Cosmetic damage
    • Any noises that are not caused by a mechanical failure
    • Damage caused by improper installation of parts or unauthorized repairs
    • Damage caused by excessive water pressure or freezing
    • Certain parts and components
    • Parts not made by the manufacture
    • Problems that are not caused by normal wear and tear
    • Inaccessible systems such as ductwork, sewer tanks and wiring
    • Damage caused by an infestation, people or pets
    • Breakdown due to accident or misuse
    • Performance of routine maintenance

Sears’ home warranty coverage caps

It is important to remember that some parts and repairs have a coverage cap. This means that the company will pay up to a certain amount for replacements and repairs, and then you are responsible for the rest.

Here are some coverage caps found in the Sears customer contract:

• Kitchen and laundry appliances: Capped at $1,000
    • Primary central heating system: Capped at $1,500
    • Septic tank/septic tank pumping: Capped at $500 to pump and $1,000 to replace
    • Swimming pool/spa/combination swimming pool spa: Capped at $1,000

Sears Home Services cost

Sears’ home warranty has price plans that vary by state, but all states have a monthly or one-year option. While each plan varies, each has the same service deductible, item limits and aggregate plan limit:

• Service deductible: $100
    • Item limits: $3,500
    • Aggregate plan limit: $12,000

The ConsumerAffairs Research Team contacted the company for a quote. Our quote for a home in Texas was $59.99 a month for the Appliance Plan.

Compare with competitors

While Sears Home Services doesn’t offer services like add-ons like some major home warranty companies, it does offer 10% back on qualifying purchases for up to $700 in “bonus points.” Also, unlike many competitors, this company provides a 15% discount on parts and a 25% discount on noncovered appliance repairs. Generally, though, you can expect to pay around the same deductible with this company compared to competitors.

Sears Home Services cancellation policy

Sears’ home warranty can be canceled at any time. If you cancel your contract within the first 30 days, you'll receive a full refund on the contract fees if a claim has not been filed. If you did file a claim, you will receive a partial refund and have to pay a $25 fee. In the event that you still owe money for a claim, the company will bill you with a previously used payment method.

Sears Home Services FAQ

Where is Sears’ home warranty available?

Sears Home Services warranties are available in all 50 states.

Is Sears’ home warranty legit?

Yes, Sears Home Warranty is a legitimate home warranty company; however, its website is difficult to navigate, making it hard for customers to find information.

How do I file a claim with Sears’ home warranty?

You can file a claim anytime by calling 802-552-4364 or by logging onto the Sears Home Services website and filling out a claim form under the “Repairs” tab.

Sears Home Services Reviews

Stars Rating

• 100%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sears Home Services?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sears Home Services?
      Verified purchase
      Customer ServiceContract & TermsSales & Marketing

Reviewed July 16, 2024

I purchased Sears Home Warranty Plan to cover the repairs of major appliances in my home. Other than the monthly $59 fee, I have to pay a $100 deductible for each repair. If the repair takes more than one visit, (such as when they need to order parts and come back to finish the repair) it is still just $100 deductible. In December last year, I scheduled for a repair. I was charged $100 immediately. The Sears technician came but needed to order parts. So they came back in January to complete the repair. I should not be charged the $100 deductible again but they did charge me.

I called Sears in March to ask for a refund. I was told they would mail me a refund check. But the refund check never arrived. In April, I called Sears again to follow up. I was transferred from one department to another department for multiple times until I had to hang up because I needed to leave for an appointment. I tried another time subsequent to that and experienced same thing. I got busy for a few months because I went on several trips. Today, July 16 I called Sears again. I was again transferred from department to department.

After three transfers, I spoke to somebody in the benefit department. I told her the whole story the fourth time, she told me that it's too late for her to do anything because it's been many months since the charge was made. I was furious. She transferred me to another person. I was told the same thing. I asked to talk to a manager. I was told this was the highest point of contact that I will be able to get. How infuriating!!! Sears is a scam. Don't ever buy any service contract from them!!! They used to be good. But they probably sold out their repair service to somebody else. Now it's terrible. Sears, you are scammer!!!

Customer ServiceContract & TermsSales & Marketing

Reviewed July 15, 2024

My Father has a contract for repair services with Sears, which he paid in full good till March 2025. His dryer broke in early March. I reached out to them on his behalf and have been given the runaround for more than 4 months. At first, they sent the repairman to the wrong house several times and when a repairman finally came, they kept saying that they need to get a new part which never came. Whenever you call them, you are on the phone for at least one hour if you're lucky. Most of the time it is longer and if you even get the chance to speak to someone, they are unable to resolve the issue or the phone mysteriously just hangs up.

After complaining for several months, they sent him a $298 voucher to put toward the purchase of a new Dryer however you can only use it at Sears. He ordered a new dryer online at Sears .com on July 3rd and had to add an additional $500 to purchase the dryer with a delivery date of July 15th which was confirmed via an email that they sent him but to no surprise the dryer wasn’t delivered on the promised date. On the day of the delivery He did not receive an email, phone call or anything to tell him that there was an issue and that he would not be receiving the dryer on the 15th ,when I called them they told me that the dryer that he purchased online on their website is not in inventory and that they would have to wait to find out from the manufacturer when the dryer would be available for delivery as they could not confirm a new delivery date.

Sears repair and Sears as a whole is a scam I would advise anyone who is thinking about purchasing an appliance from Sears or signing up for their repair services to run, not walk away from this company and to find a company that has better customer service and stands behind their words and puts customers first. They will take your money and not deliver the service or the product. The Sears Brand is Dead as it should be!!!

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Reviewed July 12, 2024

Called them for my undercounter ice maker and when the technician came out he took a few pictures, pushed a few buttons and went outside for a little bit and came back in and said it'll be $1500.00 to repair it. I obviously declined that and then he left. Next morning I decided to change the filter why not can't hurt. So when I got home that evening it was completely full of ice and as I'm typing now it's working perfectly. They wouldn't give me back my initial diagnostic fee of $184.00. My opinion is there was no diagnosis

Punctuality & Speed

Reviewed July 11, 2024

They were scheduled to come out to fix hvac not cooling…They have canceled 3 times and each time with no warning, on the day of, I get a text saying it has been rescheduled for 2 weeks later…I have been waiting for 6 weeks and still no AC and at this point I think they are just kicking the can down the road, I think they have no intention of coming.

Customer ServiceTech

Reviewed July 10, 2024

My mother purchased the Sears Home Services package for approximately $800. When her air conditioning unit malfunctioned, we promptly contacted their service department. The initial appointment was scheduled for June 14, 2024. On that day, a Sears service person arrived around 1 PM and identified the problem as a frozen air conditioning line, stating they would return on June 17, 2024, without providing a specific time.

On June 17, no technician arrived, and there was no communication from Sears. My mother called the 800 number, but the representative could not understand her needs and rescheduled the appointment for June 25, 2024. I called customer service at 1-800-697-3277 to express my concerns, only to be told there was no record of the initial visit. Despite my insistence on an earlier appointment due to the situation’s urgency, the representative could not accommodate my request, and attempts to escalate the issue to a supervisor were unsuccessful.

On June 25, Technician Erek (ID# **) arrived and stated that a part needed to be ordered, promising a return visit on June 29 or 30 to complete the repair. Again, no one called or showed up. Upon contacting the 800 number, I was informed that the next appointment was scheduled for July 8, 2024, between 1-5 PM. Due to a heat advisory, I had to move my mother into a hotel until July 8.

On July 8, despite the scheduled time window, we were informed at 4:30 PM that the appointment had been rescheduled to July 25. We spoke to representative George (#**) at 5 PM, who could not provide an explanation and promised a call from a technician within 15-30 minutes, which never happened. The repeated failures, lack of communication, and disregard for my elderly mother’s needs by Sears Home Services are unacceptable. As a result, we will no longer do business with or recommend this company. I am seeking assistance in resolving this matter and ensuring that Sears Home Services is held accountable for their inadequate service.

Verified purchase
        Customer Service

Reviewed July 8, 2024

This is far and away the worst customer service experience I have ever had. Please don't make the mistake of paying for this worse than useless service. I first had a repair issue last October and have literally over a hundred hours on the phone, I have still not gotten service. Something has gone very wrong in this business and they are failing miserably at taking responsibility. It's bad. I believe they are being sued and they deserve it.

Customer ServiceSales & Marketing

Reviewed July 3, 2024

This place must be a complete scam. My home warranty company hired them to come out and fix my ac. No one ever showed or called. Super unprofessional and you can't reach a human to talk to. Everything is an automated voice messaging system. Complete waste of my time.

Customer ServiceTechPrice

Reviewed June 25, 2024

Do not--repeat, NOT--purchase a Sears Home Service contract. We had a refrigerator fail 9 months ago. Two techs have been out and failed to effect repairs. Under the terms of the contract, Sears is to repair or replace. They then told me to find a repair service myself and send them an estimate. When I notified them that I was unable to find a repair service in our area, they told me to call one of the services who had already been here and had been unable to make the necessary repairs, pay them myself and submit the bill to Sears for reimbursement. I am in the process of canceling the contract.

The terms of the contract call for a $25 processing fee for cancelation. When I opted for an online cancellation, I was informed that it would cost me $422 to cancel. More to come--including involving my attorney or Small Claims Court if necessary. Do NOT use these people. As Monty Python would say, "Run away, run away!" They don't rate even a one star!

Customer ServicePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed June 25, 2024

2 NO CALL, NO SHOWS! Schedules for 06/17... No show, called to find out why? Parts not here yet they said. I advised them the part were here, in fact 3 pairs of parts. Reschedule for 06/24... Again, no call, no show. Called again, same lame excuse. Again, I told them the parts are here & I gave them the part numbers. Received another empty apology and was rescheduled AGAIN, this time 11 more days out. Asked to speak to a manager and was dropped during the transfer???? I don't even know where a Sears Home Service near me or I would go there myself to talk with someone in person. This is the WORST experience with a repair ever, even worse than Lowe's!

Profile pic of the author.
        Staff

Reviewed June 13, 2024

I purchased a freezer in 2019 from Sears and bought the extended warranty however I had to have it repaired after week one. They said they would replace it if I could load it and bring it back, I told them I don't have a way to get it there. This was the first of many disappointing experiences with this company. I have lost food several times and when I bought the extended warranty I was told if they had to come out 4 times it would be replaced. Covid happened and parts were hard to get and when I got parts they have been damaged. I spoke with Esther 10/28/23 at 3:53PM and was told I would have a replacement within 3-5 business days. Well here we go again still without a freezer and the repair company just closes out the tickets which makes it difficult to try and get any information. I asked for a manager, they don't have the authority to send me to a manager. This American Freight with Sears Prime Warranty is a sham.

Quick and easy. Find a home warranty partner now.

Sears Home Services Company Information

Sears Home Services
          3333 Beverly Road
          Hoffman Estates
          IL
          www.searshomeservices.com

Check out our buyers guide top picks

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks: