Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

176 Reliance Water Heaters Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 13, 2018

I purchased a Reliance water heater 2 months ago for my summer home. The water heater has been nothing but problems. The service center has not resolved my issues and will not honor their own warranty. They keep saying sorry. I will never do business with this company again. I have purchased a Rheem water heater to replace the Reliance defective water heater. Dissatisfied customer.

Original review: April 14, 2018

Buyer beware. I bought a Reliance product and what a joke. Don’t work and operate as promised. Warranty is a joke and once you buy one they don’t offer refunds so you are stuck with this horrible product. Brian could care less about customer satisfaction. Hope they enjoy this review for not doing the right thing... Don’t buy from Lowe's or Meek's.

Original review: March 27, 2018

We have used this company for years having to replace water heaters every 5-6 years because of our hard water. This time they did not honor their warranty and we are finished with them. We can't be sure if it really is our hard water or their product. Regardless, when they state a warranty and then don't honor it, forget them! Don't buy from this company unless you want a headache!!!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

I purchased Reliance's 40 gallon water heater and after installation and powering up after the tank had filled, there is NO heat. This water heater was dead right out of the box and I had to drive 30 miles to buy this thing from an Ace Hardware store which was in another city. If Reliance does Not correct this problem immediately, my complaint here is only the first step of the actions I intend to take as I will not replace this heater out of my own pocket.

One thing that I feel needs to be relayed to Reliance in the event they attempt to challenge my knowledge about hooking the electrical power up to this heater is that I have studied Electronics/Electricity and have a family member who possesses a Master's degree in Electricity and who has also tutored me in areas where I was in doubt and I have had my work inspected by a county inspector which passed my work without question. I can offer this individual's information, also, if necessary. Therefore, I have a witness to my capabilities in home electrical circuitry. Regardless whether this information is useful makes no difference to me but I am saying that I have a complete understanding and the capability to install such a simple element such as a water heater, that requires electricity.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2017

I contacted Reliance and advised our water heater (640DORS) was not working and that it was still under warranty. I spoke with several people at the company, and told each person, how we had replaced both elements, along with both thermostats. They asked if we had an Ohms meter and was advised we didn't. They then told us we would need one to troubleshoot the water heater, so we purchased one. We called the company back and after them walking us through the Ohms meter testing, they then told us we would have to have a plumber call them back in order to honor the warranty, which we can't afford. I advised them I am in the process of looking into the Magnuson-Moss warranty act, because a company shouldn't require a consumer to hire someone to tell them what is wrong with their product.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Reliance?

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

I installed a new water tank with Reliance. I never had a problem before but ever since the new tank came in we started experiencing rumbling noises. They came out numerous occasions and can't find any problems. They wanted me to stay by the tank and record the noise, as if I had time on my hands and don't have anything to do because I don't know when it'll happen. So basically the last time the tech came was rude and said next time they come we will get charged after making money from me.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I purchased a model 6-40 EORT 100 on 3/3/2017. Every time I turn on hot water it spews gases, sometime, viscous gases... I called Reliance, talked to an agent, she told me I could change the rod for $40.00 plus freight. And would not guarantee that it would take care of my problem. I rejected her recommendation. I still have the problem, would not purchase another Reliance product.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

June 8, 1991 purchased & installed a Reliance 501 natural gas hot water heater. Model #5-40-NORT6-F (manufactured 1988). Sad to have to replace it now TWENTY-SIX (26) years later. This Ashland, TN company ranks right up there with Scotch Tape, McDonalds & Kleenex & Rheem.

Original review: July 21, 2017

My current Reliance water heater is less than 50 days old and is very efficient at heating the water I use and maintaining it. I'm very pleased as is my family with its performance thus far. I selected it from several available and it met what I was seeking. As I have owned this brand in the past I knew it would meet my expectations. Reliance water heaters perform well over long periods of time. They are quality built and easy to adjust settings. They are also good for the pocket making them a great value. They came in quick order. The installers were very courteous and were very careful to remove the old one with the new without disturbing the area or making a mess throughout the process. It was not a lengthy time so my day was not overly disturbed. They arrived at the time that was scheduled which I appreciated.

Original review: July 20, 2017

The water heater is okay, not too shabby. I like how it warms up the temperature. It feels great. I like it very much and could not live without it, but I dislike that it's bulky and old school looking.

Reliance Water Heaters Company Information