2. Homeowners
  3. Riding Mowers

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.26/5

Poulan Pro Reviews

Original review: July 3, 2019

All explained in experience... JUNK! I bought this for 1600 bucks and got less than 10 hours out of it before tranny went out. This is wife's mower so used gently in fenced areas. Had trouble early on but always started working if pushed short ways. Now nothing. Engine runs great but tranny is JUNK. Never again Poulan trash...

Original review: June 15, 2019

Purchased this Poulan Pro ride-on lawn mower 2017 and now the repair shop says the motor needs to be replaced and the transmission is not acting right. The mower can't be pushed in neutral. If you looked at it you would think it's brand new out of the box. But now it's just a waste of space! I will never buy Poulan products again!

Get expert buying tips about Riding Mower delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 18, 2019

Purchased a 4218a in late 2017. I used it to cut up branches and other fallen limbs for about 14 months. I haven't even work out a chain when clutch broke. Called for warranty replacement. “Sir, we cannot replace the saw. We can send you a name of a repair shop.” The repair shops tell me it’s not worth fixing. So, I’m out a saw while under Warranty. Thanks Poulan.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

Purchased Poulan Pro riding mower June 9, 2017 for $1,380.13 at Home Depot. It stopped working in September 2018. It was still under warranty. I dropped it off at the service shop of their choice on November 5, 2018. Needless to say we have been going back and forth between the repair shop and warranty dept about the irreparable transmission. 3 weeks ago the warranty dept said they would replace the transmission but when I called today on February 27, 2019 4 months later they act like they are still trying to contact the shop. My wife then calls to make complaint and the first person that I spoke to about the problem answered with his apologies. Not today. I had to call Capital One credit card to dispute the purchase as I have no riding lawnmower. Capital One will be disputing the purchase for me so that I can purchase a new, different brand!!!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Here are the facts. I bought the machine for about $280 at Menards. That was almost exactly a year ago. Box it was in said 2 year warranty. Last week the front wheel bearing went out. Not to worry I called the manufacturing representative to connect with a Poulon service site. When I called the technician said sorry. The only thing that is warrantied is the engine. I have only mowed my lawn and live in MI, where we have snow and no mowing in the Winter. I believe the facts justify the use of the word hoax. Yes I have the receipt and will keep it should anyone try to contest this as a fact.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Poulan Pro?

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I decided to upgrade from my 1982 Allis riding mower 2 1/2 years ago and was sold on a Poulon mower. I am not exaggerating when I say that every other time I mow one of the spindles breaks. While this was covered under warranty once, the company insists that it is not due to defect in their product. Every time this junk breaks down I pull the Allis out and it mows fine, after nearly 40 years. It is not one particular side or the other either. The spindle breaks at one or two mounting points every other time it is used. That means I am buying at least 4 spindles a year.

If you go through Amazon they are $20, if you go through Poulon they are much more. That means aside from the nearly $2000 you have spent on this, expect to spend at least $60 a year on parts beyond basic maintenance. I have given up on this machine, and I would recommend anyone who is looking at buying it, you are better off buying an older Murray, Allis or JD, and repairing it. In the long run you will spend less money.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I have a Poulin Pro riding mower model PP19A42 and am on my second mowing season. When shifting from forward to reverse it hangs up every time. Same from reverse to forward. In order to get it to shift from neutral to reverse, I have to tap on the forward shift pedal. Same for reverse to forward. Sometimes I have to push really hard on the shift pedals to get it to shift. After reading other reviews, I see that this is not a rare problem. It worked great while the machine was fairly new. I suspect something is amiss in the shift levers to the transmission. What can I adjust to remedy the problem?

Original review: July 24, 2018

I bought this 42 inch rider 20 years ago and have used it at least weekly and sometimes twice a week for those 20 years, both at my residence and my lake cottage. It's never had a major problem and still performs like new. It's a very well built machine.

Original review: July 23, 2018

Bought the Poulan Pro30 because of its size and price as an upgrade from a walk behind mower. PROs: Nice looking. Narrow so it fits through gates. Small size takes up less space. CONS: Wheel width is slightly greater than blade length so trimming is not possible in many situations. Drive wheel just spins if not on perfectly flat surface. Mower drive belt falls off every time blade is disengaged (no pulley retaining bar). Blade pulley mandrel failed (froze up) in year 2. Steering only turns one front wheel and the other pivots and follows which is not too bad when the turf is flat and even. Next time I will sacrifice size and get a regular style mower.

Original review: July 19, 2018

I bought a Poulan lawn tractor from Home Depot on 9/3/2016. I used it one full season and the very next season the bearing seized in the transmission burning out plastic parts that the bearing was housed in. I sent it to Barnstead Motorsports in Barnstead NH. They have had it since May and are unable to get the correct parts for transmission p/n 580486201 which I gather has been superseded by p/n 590277501 because of the defective nature of the latter p/n. If I do not get satisfaction soon I will start a campaign of hell.

Not sure about Poulan Pro?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Riding Mower for you.

Poulan Pro expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Poulan Pro creates innovative lawn equipment with a history spanning back to 1944. The company focuses on the homeowner market with 2 and 4 cylinder engine riding mowers.

• Up to 54-mowing deck: A large cutting deck speeds up the mowing process and handles four acres or more.

• Powerful engine: A quality engine provides the speed and strength to adjust to sloped terrain.

• Plush high back seats: Homeowners can go all day in a comfortable seat.

• Button blade control: The cutting blades turn on and off with a simple dash control.

• Easy maintenance: This riding mower has several easy cleaning and maintenance features.

• Best for: Homeowners looking for a powerful mower that's easy to maintain.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Poulan Pro Company Information

1912
            9335 Harris Corners Pkwy.
            Charlotte