1.27/5
Based on 95 reviews that contain star ratings

104 Poulan Pro Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Here are the facts. I bought the machine for about $280 at Menards. That was almost exactly a year ago. Box it was in said 2 year warranty. Last week the front wheel bearing went out. Not to worry I called the manufacturing representative to connect with a Poulon service site. When I called the technician said sorry. The only thing that is warrantied is the engine. I have only mowed my lawn and live in MI, where we have snow and no mowing in the Winter. I believe the facts justify the use of the word hoax. Yes I have the receipt and will keep it should anyone try to contest this as a fact.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I decided to upgrade from my 1982 Allis riding mower 2 1/2 years ago and was sold on a Poulon mower. I am not exaggerating when I say that every other time I mow one of the spindles breaks. While this was covered under warranty once, the company insists that it is not due to defect in their product. Every time this junk breaks down I pull the Allis out and it mows fine, after nearly 40 years. It is not one particular side or the other either. The spindle breaks at one or two mounting points every other time it is used. That means I am buying at least 4 spindles a year.

If you go through Amazon they are $20, if you go through Poulon they are much more. That means aside from the nearly $2000 you have spent on this, expect to spend at least $60 a year on parts beyond basic maintenance. I have given up on this machine, and I would recommend anyone who is looking at buying it, you are better off buying an older Murray, Allis or JD, and repairing it. In the long run you will spend less money.

Get expert buying tips about Riding Mower delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I have a Poulin Pro riding mower model PP19A42 and am on my second mowing season. When shifting from forward to reverse it hangs up every time. Same from reverse to forward. In order to get it to shift from neutral to reverse, I have to tap on the forward shift pedal. Same for reverse to forward. Sometimes I have to push really hard on the shift pedals to get it to shift. After reading other reviews, I see that this is not a rare problem. It worked great while the machine was fairly new. I suspect something is amiss in the shift levers to the transmission. What can I adjust to remedy the problem?

Original review: July 24, 2018

I bought this 42 inch rider 20 years ago and have used it at least weekly and sometimes twice a week for those 20 years, both at my residence and my lake cottage. It's never had a major problem and still performs like new. It's a very well built machine.

Original review: July 23, 2018

Bought the Poulan Pro30 because of its size and price as an upgrade from a walk behind mower. PROs: Nice looking. Narrow so it fits through gates. Small size takes up less space. CONS: Wheel width is slightly greater than blade length so trimming is not possible in many situations. Drive wheel just spins if not on perfectly flat surface. Mower drive belt falls off every time blade is disengaged (no pulley retaining bar). Blade pulley mandrel failed (froze up) in year 2. Steering only turns one front wheel and the other pivots and follows which is not too bad when the turf is flat and even. Next time I will sacrifice size and get a regular style mower.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Poulan Pro?

Original review: July 19, 2018

I bought a Poulan lawn tractor from Home Depot on 9/3/2016. I used it one full season and the very next season the bearing seized in the transmission burning out plastic parts that the bearing was housed in. I sent it to Barnstead Motorsports in Barnstead NH. They have had it since May and are unable to get the correct parts for transmission p/n 580486201 which I gather has been superseded by p/n 590277501 because of the defective nature of the latter p/n. If I do not get satisfaction soon I will start a campaign of hell.

Original review: July 13, 2018

Very nice lawn mower. Cuts great. Only issues is the deck does not have cover for the pulleys, the seat with being a short person 5'4 needs to more adjustable. Closer to pedals for someone short. Also, the safety switch has a tendency to shut tractor off.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I’ve only had my Poulan Pro 46inch hydrostatic riding mower for two weeks and it gets stuck in forward and reverse to the point that you have to stomp the pedal to get it to STOP or CHANGE direction. I was backing up in reverse in my driveway and I was about to run into my own car and I went to press the forward pedal and it was stuck. I didn’t want the thing to run into my car so I had to stomp the forward pedal and the ** mower popped a wheelie and since I was on an incline it came very close to flipping over backwards. Several people saw this and ran to my aid because they knew something was bad wrong.

Although I’m only 48 years old and recently diagnosed with osteonecrosis I’ve had double total hip replacement surgeries and I CANNOT AFFORD these kinds of risks. Most men my age could probably flip a lawn mower and be ok but I CAN'T! I’m going to Home Depot tomorrow to either get my money back OR trade it for something comparable. I DO NOT WANT IT TO BE FIXED! I WANT THIS POS TO BE REPLACED or MONEY BACK! It scared me to death as I could have been seriously injured and I’ve spent enough time in hospitals in the last two years to be hurt by a damn lawn mower!!! THE END!!!

Original review: May 22, 2018

My neighbor gifted me a brand new Poulan Pro 18” 42cc chainsaw he got on sale at Menards for 139. I messed up and loaned it out and I think they ran it into the ground. The chain went dull quick after getting it back. A quick sharpening with a file and it was back to cutting good. I did need to run the idle screw in a couple times for it to remain running in between cuts. It eventually stayed in and running. I ran it for 2 days straight, 6 hrs the first day on some smaller stuff (12” and under).

The second day I put the spare chain on that cake with the saw and ran it 12 hrs Cutting big stuff from 12”-24” and it did great. The idle screw worked its way in so I backed it off a bit so it didn’t idle so fast. For what my neighbor paid for the saw, I would recommend it to anyone who has common sense. If anyone doubts this review, you can contact me via email and I can show pics an possible video of the trees I cut. I am only speaking of the capabilities of the saw itself and not the customer service of Poulan or Menards.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

Ordered Poulan Pro 46" 22-HP Briggs & Stratton Zero-Turn Riding Mower and immediately the problems began. First, one of the retention screws for the seat was missing... Trip to Lowe's/Home Depot. Then the controls handles have a special inset tool required to install the handles. The "tools required" list omits this tool... You can't install without it. Of course I called their 1800 customer service number and the message was "Thanks for calling... Closed for the holidays". I'll have this 550 pound engine/frame sitting in my garage until 2018 to find out if it will ever work.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

I will never purchase any product from Poulan as a result of my experience with the chainsaw I purchased from Walmart. When it wouldn't start I took it to my local small engine repair shop who told me there was no compression and the saw was shot. The saw was only used a handful of times and was cleaned and maintained meticulously. Their customer service was horrible and Walmart was no better. I now have 3 trees that blew over with no way to cut them up. Poulan's products in my opinion are worthless.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I bought a 46" riding mower from HD in May 2017. Used it for less than 20 hours and a blade rotator mechanism broke off and damaged the spindle. Took it to a repair shop and the techs there said it should be covered fine under PP's warranty as the items that broke are covered, but warned me that Poulan Pro has been denying more and more claims recently as they have started to not support and back their products anymore. 3 weeks later, Poulan Pro denies the claim and I have to pay $150 from pocket to get my $1300 mower back.

What total garbage. I am beyond livid because Poulan Pro refused to do what they stated in their warranty. Not only the above, but when I received my mower it had missing pieces. A bolt under the seat (which keeps it from sliding during use) and the steering wheel cover were missing. I called and spoke with multiple people at Poulan Pro to get the parts sent to me, was promised calls back and never got them. Be warned and advise you stay away from this worthless company. Garbage quality and terrible customer support. Never buying another Poulan Pro item ever again.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

Pardon for the vulgarity... but you know when you just got your ** kicked by Hurricane Irma... you just want help from your mechanical equipment to clean up the mess! I run the blower for 1 hour, runs out gas and is impossible to start again! I let this Poulan Pro 25cc piece of ** gas blower sit overnight, followed the starting steps precisely, (you have to or you have no chance of starting it) and this pile of mechanical garbage doesn't even sound like it will start! A Poulan product will never reside in my shop or home again... and I'm not stopping here, going to let this company know loud and clear! RIPOFF! and clear! RIPOFF!

Original review: July 25, 2017

I bought a 42" PoulanPro riding mower at HD. I used it four times and the reverse pedal fell off. The welds failed. I took it to the authorized repair center. I have taken all my previous mowers to them and was satisfied with the service. When I went to pick up the mower, I was told that Poulan does not cover any craftsmanship repairs. I have called the only contact phone number available and can not find a live person to complain to. Leaving a message is also useless. I would not recommend buying anything from Poulan.

Original review: July 21, 2017

Poulan Pro chainsaw 42cc 18inch - This is by far the worst chainsaw in production, and I have owned many in the past. Bought the first one at Home Depot for use around the home and returned it the very next week because it ran horribly. Stupid enough the sales person talked me into just exchanging it for a new one instead of a refund assuming it was a lemon. The second unit ran even worst than the first. It won't start and when it does it won't run and when it runs it won't cut. You're better off trying to cut with toothbrush. Their customer service is just as bad. Stay away or you have no one to blame but yourself as I have. Never! Ever! will a Poulan product enter my home.

Original review: July 5, 2017

I have owned a Poulan Pro 42cc 18" Chainsaw for a couple of years now and have had nothing but headaches from it. I realize it is a cheap saw but how Poulan can sell this product is beyond me. I have used chainsaws on and off for over 40 years and have never had the problems that this one gives me. It is hard to start, dies after just a short time (5 minutes) and then will not start again. It has less than 2 hours of use on it and it is hard to start and when it does start it will die after just 5 minutes of use. Then it will not start again. I have used fresh gas, changed the spark plug, new filter, new gas line and now the damn thing will not start at all no matter what I do. Customer service at Poulan is non existent. You cannot talk to a real person to answer questions. I would strongly recommend everyone to stay away from this company. They do not stand behind their products and helping the customer is not in their vocabulary.

Original review: June 22, 2017

Bought a Poulan Pro riding mower from Home Depot 14 months ago (so maybe 35 uses so far). Having my third repair done as soon as I can get someone over here to fix it... again. My last mower (a Scotts, by John Deere, which I also bought from HD) lasted 15 years -- never had a problem till the Briggs & Stratton motor died. This Poulan Pro is singularly the biggest piece of crap I've ever bought (and, yes, I have all sorts of outdoor power equipment including chainsaws, leaf blower, cyclone rake, weed eater, snowblower, power washer, etc). And, good luck with their customer service line. Do NOT Buy Anything Made By Poulan Pro. I promise you, you'll be sorry.

Original review: June 22, 2017

Ordered saw online through Home Depot. First impression was "They sure don't build them like they used to". More like a toy than tool. Hard to start out of the box. Owned Poulan saws in the past, first new one in years! Sad how quality goes downhill when company is bought out by another. About 2 hours into cutting, third time using 5020 saw, saw bogs and quits running. Will not restart after repeated efforts. Days later still wont start. Still under warranty. Or so I would assume. Instructed to take to Home Depot store. At the store customer service says to take saw to tool rental. Paid $20 deposit.

Weeks later tool rental calls, "I took your saw apart and we wont cover the warranty." Tool rental guy takes saw apart first? Ok. "Why" I asked. "You ran saw without or not enough oil in gas". "Low compression. Will not run". He replied. "Was there oil in gas when I left the saw with you (blue color)?” I asked. “Kind of looks like it" was his reply. I then explained to him that I have used 2 cycle saws etc. for many years and well versed on proper gas and oil.

I then asked if he had had any certified training on 2 cycle small engines in which to reach this diagnosis and conclusion of my warranty. "No" was his reply. I asked him what his job was at the store. "To rent tools" was his reply. So now I’m left with a junk saw and out $20 to Home Depot for the tool rental guy to tear my saw apart. And don't bother contacting Home Depot or Poulan. Nothing but a phone chase going nowhere! Live and learn. Never again Poulan or Home Depot! Buy a quality saw from someone that will back it. Read reviews first. I wish I had.

Original review: June 13, 2017

We bought our brand new "Poulan PRO 46" riding mower - model PP20VA46" from Home Depot & experienced (2) major problems. The seat would not lock after tightening the lock nut underneath seat. So your seat would move forward & backward while driving the mower (very dangerous). We noticed the lawn was being scalped while cutting the lawn. So I tried to raise the height of cutting deck & still it was scalping our lawn. I got off mower & noticed that the "right side deck lift assembly" was not there!! Missing & not even attached to lift the right side of the mower's cutting deck! It was just hanging very low to the ground! Omg if the decking caught on something like a stump or sidewalk, you could flip over & seriously hurt the rider (dangerous condition #2). We noticed (2) other complaints about this problem on here already & we are contacting Home Depot & Poulan PRO Corp today & will follow up with results asap.

Original review: May 8, 2017

I purchased a Hedger at Home Depot a little over 6 months ago. I used it once. The first time it worked fine. I went to use it again for the second time yesterday as it is spring and my bushes need trimming. Could not get the Hedger to start at all. I completely replaced the gas and oil mixture with brand new Gas and Oil. Still no Success. I checked the air filter and the fuel filter and they were both clean. I waited 15 minutes just in case I flooded the engine. Still no Success in getting the Hedger started. Went to Home Depot which is where I purchased the item and noticed they no longer sell and Gas Poulan Pro Hedgers. Probably because they are complete garbage.

I tried calling customer service with Poulan Pro and keep getting stuck in their call tree. There is no option to talk to a representative. This has got to be the worst company. I will NEVER buy a POULAN product ever. I would encourage anyone to steer away from this company. DO NOT BUY THEIR PRODUCT. Save yourself the money and heartache. I spent over 200$ on the gas Hedger and was only able to use it once.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2017

On January 7th, 2017, I purchased a 18" Poulan Pro chain saw from Howland Hardware in Live Oak, FL. I haven't used it and after reading reviews about their products I'm sorry I bought it. What seems like a very minor and even a petty problem has developed into a "nothing can be done" issue with Poulan. When I opened the packing box (brand new) I discovered that the carrying handle on the hard plastic carrying case was not attached nor was it in the box. Now if I carry the saw in the case I have to use both hands to carry it rather than holding it by the carrying handle. I've contacted Poulan customer service and was told they could not do anything and to return to the place of purchase. Their instructions clearly state "Do not return product to retailer".

When I brought this to the 'customer non-service' person I was told to take it to the closest service center which is 27 miles away. This has become a non issue regarding the plastic handle but rather clearly defines the lack of support from the Poulan company and their unwillingness to help resolve even a minor issue. I paid $178 and am considering selling it while still new and unused for whatever I can get. God forbid I had a real problem like others I have read about. As they say, Lessons Learned. This has nothing to do with the retailer, Howland Hardware, where I purchased the saw as they have been very nice but in reality it is not their problem.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2016

I purchased my mower two years ago and have been having problems with it going in reverse, blade engaging, deck not level. Call where store where I purchased it sent me to authorized technician and was not under warranty for deck. Three other people in my neighborhood purchased the same mower around the same time I purchased mine and we are all having the same problems. Called Poulan and they wouldn't listen to the thought of having a bad batch of mowers. I paid over a $1000.00 for this mower and feel I have been swindled. Poulan needs to recall their mowers. This looks bad on them, but they have our money!!! Also was given a Poulan chainsaw and it stayed in shop more than using it and still is not running. Will not start!!!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

I have owned several Poulan products and have had the same problem with every single one. They are very hard to start and once they shut off you can never start them again. Chainsaw, Weedwhacker, leaf blower, heads trimmer, the same problem with every single item! I have said it before but this time I mean it, I will never ever buy a Poulan product ever again! I have gotten toys out of happy meals at McDonald's that lasted longer than their products! I am also puzzled as to why Lowe's continues to Poulan garbage!!! If you're thinking about buying a Poulan product, learn from my mistakes and pick another brand!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2016

We had a tree blow over Monday morning. My old 20-year-old chain saw wouldn't start. We went to Lowe's and bought a new Poulan Pro 18" chainsaw for $170. Came home, mixed the gas as directed, filled the tank, and it started within 6 pulls. Great! But it stopped after about 5 minutes and wouldn't start again. We let it sit overnight.

Tuesday... Starting cord came off. Watched a few youtube videos and took an hour to fix it (the screw that holds it on had come off -- the screw goes into PLASTIC, not metal). Can we say "piece of crap"? Cord fixed. Same story. Started fairly easily, stopped after about 5 minutes of use (we're talking 2-3" branches, not huge logs). Wouldn't start again. We let it sit overnight. Wed... Same story. Started, stopped after 5 minutes. Thurs... Different story. Refused to start at all. We're talking 30 pulls, 40 pulls at a time. Yes, choke is on, primer bulb pumped as recommended, you can see gas in the primer bulb. It not only doesn't start, it doesn't even sound like it MIGHT start. And yes, safety bar is in "on" position, the "off" switch is in "on" position, etc. etc. Everything fine from my side. We're going back to Lowe's tomorrow for a refund. This is a pure piece of crap.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2016

On a new riding mower "Poulan Pro" a small metal part that holds the belt broke (visible manufacturing defect). Trying to reach a warranty person that could send me a part was impossible. For warranty I can haul it to a service center so they can diagnose the part, then leave it for a week or two or haul it back again, to have them install the part, which would take 60 seconds was just not worth the effort, so it cost me $18 and an hour of trying. I like the mower, I expect things to break (not during the warranty period). But if it's a hassle to fix why buy it?

Original review: Aug. 2, 2016

From the outset of purchase one of the adjusting arms to set the cutting level, pops out of position and falls out of place, effectively causing the mower not to be level. I purchased a $4 clamp to hold the one leveler in place and did write a letter to the company in Charlotte, NC explaining the problem as we live in Canada and it is unknown as to the local supplier is. That letter was written on June 26, 2016 and no reply has ever been received. I will now file a complaint with Costco, as that is where we purchased the mower. Returning it is not that easy as it must be delivered to the store and explained. We would never purchase another Poulan product.

Original review: July 7, 2016

Purchased this unit String trimmer PP25S from Family Farm and Home thinking they would only sell reputable brands. Took the unit home. Immediately hated the trimmer head, that only took the pre cut line (18" pcs). In addition, the trimmer was woefully underpowered! I replaced the line 6 times in less than a half hour. I stopped to move the sprinkler and two minutes after restarting, the unit stopped and would not rev up, and then began stopping after about 3 seconds. I believe the spark arrester in the muffler was plugged. After about 50 tries, I put it in the truck to return to Family Farm and Home. The snappy young man there said "it was a gas unit that he could not return, but he would gladly upgrade me to a $250 Husqvarna unit". I told him for that price, I would go buy a STIHL unit. Will no longer be shopping at Family Farm and Home, and trust me, Poulan USA will never get another dime of mine. Half ** equipment from wannabe farmers!

Original review: June 6, 2016

Bought Poulan Pro chainsaw (PP5020AV 20") from Home Depot 11/2015. Used a few times. Always difficult to start but worked. Tried to start the saw to cut some branches and saw would not turn over. After several tries the pull start would not retract. Called Poulan service and they gave me the number of a few companies to service in my area of which most were no longer in business. I have had another chainsaw of a different brand for 15 years and it still works every time. All I have ever done is replace the fuel lines and chains. This product didn't last 6 months.

Original review: June 3, 2016

I purchased a new saw the Poulan P3416 from Walmart in October 2014. The saw was always very difficult to start and I have used chainsaws even in former jobs. With less than 40 hours of service the saw would not start except 1 in more than 100 pulls. I followed all instructions to the tee. Poulan sent me to at least 3 repair shops some that no longer exist and the other wanted nothing to do with them. Travelling hundreds of miles to false locations and spent many time more than the saw price just to get some warranty service. Finally a shop took the saw and was supposed to return it in less than a week and kept it for 6 weeks.

I was repeated lied to thereafter. First the company said I used a poor quality oil (Poulan Weed Eater synthetic as instructed). Then the company said I used an ethanol based gasoline, a total lie. The mechanic said the saw was scored 360 degrees. Talking to another mechanic it appears the mechanic made no attempt to start crank or open the saw. They would not repair the broken crank as per the warranty later asked me to take it back (how many times I am losing count). They clearly acted in bad faith with misdirection, flat out lies and refused to honor any terms of the warranty.

Original review: May 17, 2016

We received the crate with the mower, had to assemble the steering wheel and seat. When we went to raise the deck to push the mower off the grate, the deck would never, not lift. I notice the rod which raises and lowers the deck was never put in the hole on the one side and on the other side the lever was pushed into the plastic deck. I have never seen such poor workmanship in my life, ashamed to say this was made in the good old USA.

I worked in the auto industry for over 30 years in Indiana for Dana Corp and we actually took pride in our product. It seems that when companies move their locations down south quality suffers big time, even when Dana moved down south we had to salvage the parts they sent back to us, not sure why the people in the south don't care about quality but it is a shame. I would never recommend a Poulan product to anyone. We ordered it from Home Depot who was very apologetic and refunded our money. I enclosed a picture and also the serial number so they can maybe trace it to the employee and take action.

Poulan Pro expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Poulan Pro creates innovative lawn equipment with a history spanning back to 1944. The company focuses on the homeowner market with 2 and 4 cylinder engine riding mowers.

• Up to 54-mowing deck: A large cutting deck speeds up the mowing process and handles four acres or more.

• Powerful engine: A quality engine provides the speed and strength to adjust to sloped terrain.

• Plush high back seats: Homeowners can go all day in a comfortable seat.

• Button blade control: The cutting blades turn on and off with a simple dash control.

• Easy maintenance: This riding mower has several easy cleaning and maintenance features.

• Best for: Homeowners looking for a powerful mower that's easy to maintain.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Poulan Pro Company Information

1912
9335 Harris Corners Pkwy.
Charlotte