Poulan Pro

Compare Riding Mowers

Research top Riding Mowers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

We had a tree blow over Monday morning. My old 20-year-old chain saw wouldn't start. We went to Lowe's and bought a new Poulan Pro 18" chainsaw for $170. Came home, mixed the gas as directed, filled the tank, and it started within 6 pulls. Great! But it stopped after about 5 minutes and wouldn't start again. We let it sit overnight.

Tuesday... Starting cord came off. Watched a few youtube videos and took an hour to fix it (the screw that holds it on had come off -- the screw goes into PLASTIC, not metal). Can we say "piece of crap"? Cord fixed. Same story. Started fairly easily, stopped after about 5 minutes of use (we're talking 2-3" branches, not huge logs). Wouldn't start again. We let it sit overnight. Wed... Same story. Started, stopped after 5 minutes. Thurs... Different story. Refused to start at all. We're talking 30 pulls, 40 pulls at a time. Yes, choke is on, primer bulb pumped as recommended, you can see gas in the primer bulb. It not only doesn't start, it doesn't even sound like it MIGHT start. And yes, safety bar is in "on" position, the "off" switch is in "on" position, etc. etc. Everything fine from my side. We're going back to Lowe's tomorrow for a refund. This is a pure piece of crap.

On a new riding mower "Poulan Pro" a small metal part that holds the belt broke (visible manufacturing defect). Trying to reach a warranty person that could send me a part was impossible. For warranty I can haul it to a service center so they can diagnose the part, then leave it for a week or two or haul it back again, to have them install the part, which would take 60 seconds was just not worth the effort, so it cost me $18 and an hour of trying. I like the mower, I expect things to break (not during the warranty period). But if it's a hassle to fix why buy it?

From the outset of purchase one of the adjusting arms to set the cutting level, pops out of position and falls out of place, effectively causing the mower not to be level. I purchased a $4 clamp to hold the one leveler in place and did write a letter to the company in Charlotte, NC explaining the problem as we live in Canada and it is unknown as to the local supplier is. That letter was written on June 26, 2016 and no reply has ever been received. I will now file a complaint with Costco, as that is where we purchased the mower. Returning it is not that easy as it must be delivered to the store and explained. We would never purchase another Poulan product.

Purchased this unit String trimmer PP25S from Family Farm and Home thinking they would only sell reputable brands. Took the unit home. Immediately hated the trimmer head, that only took the pre cut line (18" pcs). In addition, the trimmer was woefully underpowered! I replaced the line 6 times in less than a half hour. I stopped to move the sprinkler and two minutes after restarting, the unit stopped and would not rev up, and then began stopping after about 3 seconds. I believe the spark arrester in the muffler was plugged. After about 50 tries, I put it in the truck to return to Family Farm and Home. The snappy young man there said "it was a gas unit that he could not return, but he would gladly upgrade me to a $250 Husqvarna unit". I told him for that price, I would go buy a STIHL unit. Will no longer be shopping at Family Farm and Home, and trust me, Poulan USA will never get another dime of mine. Half ** equipment from wannabe farmers!

Bought Poulan Pro chainsaw (PP5020AV 20") from Home Depot 11/2015. Used a few times. Always difficult to start but worked. Tried to start the saw to cut some branches and saw would not turn over. After several tries the pull start would not retract. Called Poulan service and they gave me the number of a few companies to service in my area of which most were no longer in business. I have had another chainsaw of a different brand for 15 years and it still works every time. All I have ever done is replace the fuel lines and chains. This product didn't last 6 months.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Poulan Pro?

I purchased a new saw the Poulan P3416 from Walmart in October 2014. The saw was always very difficult to start and I have used chainsaws even in former jobs. With less than 40 hours of service the saw would not start except 1 in more than 100 pulls. I followed all instructions to the tee. Poulan sent me to at least 3 repair shops some that no longer exist and the other wanted nothing to do with them. Travelling hundreds of miles to false locations and spent many time more than the saw price just to get some warranty service. Finally a shop took the saw and was supposed to return it in less than a week and kept it for 6 weeks.

I was repeated lied to thereafter. First the company said I used a poor quality oil (Poulan Weed Eater synthetic as instructed). Then the company said I used an ethanol based gasoline, a total lie. The mechanic said the saw was scored 360 degrees. Talking to another mechanic it appears the mechanic made no attempt to start crank or open the saw. They would not repair the broken crank as per the warranty later asked me to take it back (how many times I am losing count). They clearly acted in bad faith with misdirection, flat out lies and refused to honor any terms of the warranty.

We received the crate with the mower, had to assemble the steering wheel and seat. When we went to raise the deck to push the mower off the grate, the deck would never, not lift. I notice the rod which raises and lowers the deck was never put in the hole on the one side and on the other side the lever was pushed into the plastic deck. I have never seen such poor workmanship in my life, ashamed to say this was made in the good old USA.

I worked in the auto industry for over 30 years in Indiana for Dana Corp and we actually took pride in our product. It seems that when companies move their locations down south quality suffers big time, even when Dana moved down south we had to salvage the parts they sent back to us, not sure why the people in the south don't care about quality but it is a shame. I would never recommend a Poulan product to anyone. We ordered it from Home Depot who was very apologetic and refunded our money. I enclosed a picture and also the serial number so they can maybe trace it to the employee and take action.

I bought this trimmer 14 months ago and have used it probably about 15 times at the most. Shortly after purchasing, the recoil start rope would not retract. The few warranty eligible repair businesses were all backlogged 2-3 months so I took the trimmer to a business that had repaired other equipment of mine. After using the trimmer 4-5 more times, the same thing happened. If I had to do it all over I would have spent a little more as this equipment is inferior. I guess we just do not have the quality that we used to have.

I used the mower approximately 6 times and each time the steering messed up. I sent it out 3 times to be fixed and each time it came back it messed up again. Totally unhappy with this mower 30 ln.

I have 3 Poulan chainsaws - none of them work. The 3rd one is used twice before. Yes it's a piece of **. Yes, I'm good at fixing things - with Poulan product there is no hopes. Hard to work it and very hard to keep it working. I do not recommend it to anyone even if it is for free with love.

I have purchased 2 blowers. The first one had about 20 hours on it before it died completely. Threw it in trash can. Made a bad mistake and purchased a second one and it will not start when it is warm or hot. I have a Poulan chainsaw that will not start when it is warm or hot. Chainsaw has about 12 hours on it. The cost to have someone check it out is more than worth. I have a 30 year Homelite saw that runs and starts every time. It is a 16 inch and I wanted a 18 inch. Bad mistake!!! I recommend to anyone do not consider purchasing a Poulan product at any price!!!

I have had two Poulan chainsaws and have had problems keeping them running, so I put them up and have not used them again. Now a neighbor has bought a Poulan Wild thing. He has had problems with it from the day he bought it. The saw will not continue to run for more than 10 to 15 minutes and is a beast to start. I have replaced the carb., the gas lines, the fuel filter, the spark plug, cleaned the ignition plate. It starts and runs for some time and then it stalls and will not start. It leaks gas from around the gas cap and the starter cord would not recoil. I replaced that with a kit so now it will recoil, sometimes. Just got it to start for him this morning and dropped it off to him. I will be making a spot to hang it alongside the two I have in my barn when it comes back today or tomorrow, and I will suggest that he purchase a REAL saw next time.

About 2 years ago I wanted to buy a chainsaw. My brother in law, who is an arborist and who knows about chainsaws, suggested I get a Poulan Pro. He figured I would never cut more than 10 chords of wood a year and that this would do the trick. Was he ever wrong... So here I was with my brand new Poulan Pro PP 4218AVX (42cc), out for its first run, and a nice pile of 4 foot logs. Two hours later: Buzz, buzz, buzz... bzzz... dead. I could not get it going again. What!? My brother in law tried and was surprised to finally have to say that he too couldn't get it going. So I brought it into a Poulan service center. After the guy had time to look at it he called me back and said, "Sorry. But it was badly put together. There ain't much I can do with it. I'll ask that Poulan sends you a replacement unit since you are definitely still under warranty." Yeah, no **!

So six (6) months later I get the new saw (yeah, great customer service). That was earlier this year in February. Okay, fine. So I decide to be extra gentle with this one and to put a 16 inch bar on it rather than keep the 18 inch bar it came with. Small bar means less resistance - should give it a chance. Well, I've used that saw a total of 6 times, never more than 3 hours at a stretch, and still I am back to the original saw's problem - I can no longer start this thing. Awesome! The last three times I used it were, of course, not great... Time #4: The carburetor needed to be adjusted because each time I let go of the gas it would shut down. Since it doesn't use a regular screw driver for its carburetor adjustments I spent the 2 hours that it did want to work giving it a little gas all the time when I didn't want it to die. But eventually it wouldn't start up anymore.

I ordered the special adjustment tool online and brought the saw to a service center so that I could go the next weekend (since I wasn't expecting the tool to arrive before that). The next day the guy at the shop calls me and says, "Eh, I can't get it started." Wow, and he's the little motors mechanic. Basically he says it would cost me more to have it fixed than the price of the damn saw. So I get my saw back and leave it in the garage. No wood cutting that weekend. The next week I get the tool and decide to try it again. After a little fighting with it it finally springs back to life. Cool. So I adjust it. It now idles nicely and revs beautifully. Great. Can't wait till next weekend.

Time #5: Weekend comes and the saw goes well a whole hour and a half after which time it just straight out quits and won't start again. Aw come on... The next day, back in the garage, I check it out as best I can. The spark plug sparks. The exhaust is not anywhere near dirty or clogged up. The air filter is basically new. I check the carburetor - it appears completely clean and the gas lines have gas. So I do a few starting tests - all's good.

Time #6: 20 minutes... tops. I have this incredible urge to see if this crap can fly... I should have. I have not been able to get it started since (that was 3 weeks ago). I finally solved the problem: I bought an Echo CS-490. I've used it twice already (Friday and Saturday) for a total of 8 hours. I stopped each day because I had something else to do - not because the saw quit on me. Conclusion: If you have a few branches to trim use a saw or borrow a friend's chainsaw. Anything else, buy a real saw (Echo, Stihl or Husqvarna) - if you buy a Poulan get ready to end up thinking, "Man, I should have spent the extra bucks..."

I bought a Poulan chainsaw from our local Canada tire last year. It has been in 3x for repairs. I asked for a refund and they refused!! The chainsaw was in right after it came out of box. This company is creating garbage and then we are stuck with it. Today after third repair, I tried to start it and now rope won't come out to pull start. I give up, I'm just going to throw it out and never ever buy something from this company again!!!

I purchased two years ago a gas chainsaw Poulan Pro 50cc (50cm3). After the first year I started to have trouble. This year is unbearable - it just keeps stalling. I am so sorry that I purchased the Poulan Pro just to save money. It is the biggest piece of crap in the market.

OK, so I buy this Poulan Pro mower (I had a Poulan chainsaw and dropped more trees than I can count with it; one right on it – you couldn't kill it). What a mistake. The dipstick was defective and my son burned-up the engine (no oil). Sure enough, the dipstick says the engine is close to being over-filled with oil but remove the flange plug and the engine is bone dry.

Took it to a repair shop and he knew why I was there! (Dipstick issue.) But gave me the 'talk to the hand' before I could say a word and informed me that the engine was trashed (Briggs 6hp) and $$$$ to fix if it's not covered by the warranty, and I've seen plenty of these this spring - not one was covered by Poulan Pro. He wanted to be paid IN ADVANCE just to look at the thing. TERRIBLE MOWER: When I arrived back home I looked at the area it mowed and started finding plastic pieces all over the place. Turns out everything underneath was made of cheap plastic and quickly came loose & dropped onto the blade. CRUMMY MACHINE!!!

Bought a new Poulan Pro from Menards. Took it out to cut some 6-10" trees down. 15 minutes in, chain came off. Reset it and proceeded to deal with this a couple more times. Finally chain came off and was bound. Went and got a replacement and proceeded to spend about 7 hours dealing with this and the engine bogging down and not starting consistently. Quit for the day and went back to Menards.

Of course they would do nothing (first mistake you should notice when you open the box) and directed me back to Poulan. Poulan then says they won't take it back but directs me to a service center... Blain's Farm and Fleet. Blain's says they cannot return and are only authorized to fix and maybe Poulan will warranty it. I again try Poulan and they won't budge. Turned Poulan in to the Better Business Bureau and Poulan would not return their calls and BBB had to close case. Basically out $200 for the equivalent of 3/4 a cord of wood. Terrible company and service... Spend the extra money for reputable company like Stihl.

I purchased a Poulan Pro Model PP5020AV chainsaw on 4/30/2014. I have had problems this past year with the saw not able to cut through wood and gas appearing to not be getting to the carburetor. The engine bogs down and wants to stall out while triggering the engine throttle. I gave the saw to our nearest authorized Poulan service dealer, A-1 Barricade & Sign located at 201 Colorado Ave in Pueblo, CO 81004 on June 18th 2015. I was told by the service technician **, it would take 4 weeks to service the chainsaw, which was still under the 2 year parts and labor warranty.

Well, almost 8 weeks later the saw was serviced and ready for pickup on August 11th 2015. ** explained the chainsaw works fine and he only had to adjust the carburetor. I told him when I left the saw with him, that the problem with the saw was that it starts fine and idles fine but stalls out when cutting wood. I told him again my description of the problem over the phone a week before picking up the saw. His response to me was that he doesn't have wood on-site to test the saw. What kind of authorized service dealer doesn't test the saw after servicing under a load by doing what a chainsaw is supposed to do, cut wood? The saw has a brand new chain, new fuel filter, and air filter as recommended in the user’s manual for replacement on a yearly basis.

I also took the saw to my local Ace Hardware dealer located in Westcliffe, which sells and services Stihl chainsaws, at my location of 8,200 feet elevation, not the 4,800 feet of elevation of Pueblo, CO. His recommendation was that a new carburetor needed to be installed. Since the chainsaw is still under warranty and our nearest authorized Poulan service dealership didn't test the saw by cutting any wood he could not service the chainsaw properly or didn't want to because the saw is still under warranty.

I previously had a Poulan Pro Model 295 chainsaw which I used for 13 years with no problems whatsoever. Thus, I bought the similar PP5020AV model in April of 2014. I can honestly say I will never purchase a Poulan product of any kind ever again! I have a blog which has 25,000 followers and I will post this letter on the blog so that they do not make the same mistake I made by buying an inferior product with inferior service reps! A very displeased Poulan customer!

I have owned a Poulan 4218 for about 8 years, no problem with it at all. This week I changed the oiler on it and checked other parts. This saw was getting a bit worn. Bought a reconditioned one from Princess Auto, same 4218, my thinking was some parts of the old one might come in useful. Being a marine engineer (retired) and a farmer, that's the way I think.

The new saw would start but not stay running, found all the complaints on this site. Then looked on YouTube, found a great video for adjusting the carb. As I said all the complaints, my opinion is the carbs are set to gas standards that are in place in China (stop laughing - China, standards - I know an oxymoron). The gas standards in the USA and Canada are far more strict. The octane levels are much better here than in China.

So now to my point, slight adjustment to low idle and high idle and the new saw runs perfectly. Should we have to do this on new equipment? NO, and it is bad company quality control for not having the equipment set right in the first place. Remember, you get what you pay for and at $118 CAD for a 4218, I'll accept the little adjustment.

We bought a Poulan Pro Chainsaw from Lowe's last spring. After one season of light use, it would not start this season. Upon taking it to the authorized dealer, they said the engine was scored, chainsaw was dead, the end. They submitted a claim to Poulan who took 3 weeks instead of 72 hours to tell us their warranty doesn't cover engine scoring. From what I can tell, that happens to their chainsaws all the time! I will never buy another Poulan product and will warn everyone I can about this SCAM! Now we are out the cost of that chainsaw, repairs, plus a much better, nicer STIHL that we had to pay a lot more for. AVOID POULAN AT ALL COSTS.

I recently purchased a Poulan Wild Thing 18" Chainsaw from Menards. It worked fine for about 2hrs, then failed to start. Menards sent me to a local "certified" Poulan dealer, who took 2 months (they originally told me 2 weeks) to tell me that my chainsaw has a scorned cylinder which is not under warranty. So, I called Poulan who basically said, "sorry, we don't cover this issue". Really? I've owned my previous Blue Max chainsaw for years without issue. I know how to use them and care for them. This is a defect in the product that Poulan does not stand behind. I will never ever buy anything from Poulan again. They do not stand behind their products.

Last year I purchase a Poulan Pro 335. On three separate occasions immediately after I started to weed wack the head on it grenades sending plastic pieces flying on all three occasions. Very poor quality of plastic. I ordered the head online two times at over $30.00 each. I finally purchased a universal head (generic) which worked great which was $45.00. Only used a half a dozen times towards the end of the season last year. This year I probably only used 6-8 times and what happened this time? The motor seized, what a piece of crap. I took it to a repair place that repairs Poulan. I was informed that it the engine was seized and it also should have had an air filter. What?? I didn't take it off or even know there was such a thing but anyways that cost me another $20.00 to be told that and so this weed wacker that was like $170.00 cost me about $300.00 and being told it is not able to be fixed, I'm not happy.

Poulan Pro PB301 riding mower - The steering system failed initially after just five uses and then following a warranty repair it failed after three uses. The steering system consists of a pinion gear and rack which is designed/manufactured poorly as only the tip of the pinion gear will engage the rack properly causing it to wear prematurely and slip. The authorized repair center told me that Poulan has no permanent solution to the problem. I have had no success in contacting Poulan, so I am trying to involve Home Depot (where I purchased the mower) who has previously claimed they have no responsibility after 30 days from the date of sale.

Bought two brand new and can only use each for a 1/2 hour at a time. If I switch off between the two I can get an hour run time. After that you can forget about using them for at least a day. The piston rings on the machines are garbage and they expand too much when hot and you lose compression. They want you to replace the rings after 40 hours, that's ridiculous!!! This model was supposed to be gone and replaced with a new manufactured engine. Had one with the proper rings and the different engine and it ran for hours with no problem. The manufacturer knows of this defect but will not fix it in the production line. It is cheaper and easier for them to just make returns harder to where they are too much of a hassle to return. I am glad I own no stock in a company with an attitude like that.

I bought this trimmer (Poulan pro PP 335) last year and used it about 4 times before I started having this problem. Since it was late in the season, I waited until this summer and when I tried to use; it did the same thing. After about 8-10 minutes of use it behaves like it's out of gas. I ordered a new OEM carb and fuel tank and installed them only to have the same problem. I also have had a similar problem with my Poulan chainsaw that I purchased a little over a year ago. I am completely disgusted with both. After reading several internet posts and talking to friends and repair shops, I have learned that these Poulan products are pretty much junk. I paid over $300 for both and now I will have to go out and buy a new trimmer and a new chainsaw. You can bet they won't be Poulan products. Is there any way to make Poulan take care of this problem or am I just screwed?

Bought a 5020 Saw at Lowe’s Jan 2014. Brought home, tried to start. After mixing up gas filled saw with fuel and bar oil. Tried to start. Pushed primer 6 times as instructed - not a good thing, flooded it bad. Would not start, could smell gas. Let it sit about a hour. Tried to start. Would not still. Removed plug. Was still flooded. Pulled rope. Fuel sprayed from plug hole. Installed plug. Tried to start again. Found muffler had gas in it. Removed muffler, got started. Called Poulan next day. Told me of places to take for carb problem of flooding. 3 places out of business. Fourth was in British Columbia. That's about 300 miles from Oregon where I live. Was one more place to call. Was reluctant to want to fix saw. They agreed to repair. Need a carb but Poulan would not replace it. Owner of repair place had some used parts from a different carb installed. Also had a oiling problem for chain leaks if let set from pump.

Owner from shop said needed a different oil pump because was cracked from installation. Could not fix without parts. Have to drain after every use. Now runs well. Took 4 months to get it back from shop. Used saw for about 15 minutes. Bar froze up - was greased good. Bars are not covered in warranty. Good saw to own. Runs, just can't use it unless I buy a new bar and chain. Can't get a bar that needs a 70 driver chain. Please watch out the condition of saw - try it first. Thank you.

I bought this product Trimmer PP28LD $201.81, from Lowe's store in Canada. Within a month from the day I bought it I used it twice. I put the mix Gas+oil according to the manufacturer specifications. After the second use the trimmer seized. I couldn't turn it on. I contacted the Lowe's store and they told me "because you put gas on it you have to call the Poulan customer service". I called them and they they told me to take it to a Fraser valley service on 13399 72 Ave. Surrey BC Canada. I took it there but they told me "we don't fix warranty equipments". I called again Poulan 1-800-554-6723 and told them, they said take to a different service center and they gave me different address. I took it there and paid $35 Canadian just see what wrong with it and they kept it for three weeks then they called me and said "you have to pay another $120 to fix it because it is not under warranty because the cause was the oil and gas mix".

This not right. I'm an engineer and I used many trimmers in my life and I know what is going on. THIS IS A DEFECTIVE PRODUCTS. I called again Poulan customer service and explained to them what happened. I stayed in the phone for an hour with but their answer was it not covered and they don't want to solve the issue. They were not helpful at all. The worst customer service and they keep you on hold for long time. When I got the trimmer back from their authorized service center (Rapid Tool Repairs 3 7551 Vantage Way Delta BC V4G 1C9 ) was all pieces, I shocked. The product is garbage. DON'T BUY IT. I will contact the Better Business Bureau to place a complaint. Again DON'T BUY THEIR PRODUCT. It is waste of money.

I bought this POS riding mower 4 years ago and have had NOTHING but problems with it ever since. It has a lousy electrical system and the mower will NEVER start on its own. It always has to be jump-started with jumper cables from my car. It has a brand new battery but still will not hold a charge and start. The local repair shop at the business where I bought it will not work on this model for this very reason. I have had the thing into other repair places and they have also given up. I have spent at least the same amount on trying to get it repaired as I did when I bought it. IF I could even get it started I'd run the damned thing in the River here. The old Murray mower I bought at Wal-Mart was a much, much better unit. At least it would start. I will NEVER BUY ANOTHER POULAN PRODUCT AND HAVE TOLD ALL MY FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS TO NOT BUY POULAN EITHER.

I would not recommend purchasing any product (grass trimmer 335) from Poulan or its parent company Husqvarna. Twice now this unit has been in for repairs, broken drive shaft. Each time I've only been able to use it for a few days before it broke. I was offered, a replacement unit, and then the offer was rescinded. Instead, they are going to continue to repair till the warranty runs out. No extension of warranty while the unit sat in the repair shop for an entire season.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Saw wouldn't stay running brand new out of the box. I checked fuel and fuel tank was under a lot of pressure (blew gas all over my hands), also gas was boiling in fuel tank. I ordered in a new gas cap from Amazon for 8.47, and this saw runs like a champ now. Evidently they are sending some out with faulty gas caps that don't vent.

Richard of Watford City, ND on

Original Review

"Vapor Lock Special" should be the name of this Poulan Pro 5020AV saw. Ordered a brand new saw, unboxed it & mixed the included oil with 1 gal of fresh gas. Filled bar oil reservoir. Saw was a little hard to start but I figured no big deal since it was brand new. Saw started and took a full minute before I could take choke off and engine would stay running. Cut a 20" dia tree down and started bucking it up, then saw died. Restarted saw again, it struggled to run and kept dying. Finally got it to do about 2 more cuts then died again. Put it aside and took a short break from pulling the damn rope.

After waiting 7-8 mins, I thought to check fuel again even though I knew it should be nearly full. Fuel cap was under "great pressure", and sprayed fuel when I removed it. Then I looked into the tank which was at 1/2 full, and lo & behold the gas was boiling. No question this saw was vapor locked. Contacted Amazon and explained the situation to them, they refunded me the full 199.00 right away and I purchased a Husky 450 for 350.00. Anyone need a bulky door stop out there??

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Poulan Pro creates innovative lawn equipment with a history spanning back to 1944. The company focuses on the homeowner market with 2 and 4 cylinder engine riding mowers.

• Up to 54-mowing deck: A large cutting deck speeds up the mowing process and handles four acres or more.
  • Powerful engine: A quality engine provides the speed and strength to adjust to sloped terrain.
  • Plush high back seats: Homeowners can go all day in a comfortable seat.
  • Button blade control: The cutting blades turn on and off with a simple dash control.
  • Easy maintenance: This riding mower has several easy cleaning and maintenance features.
  • Best for Homeowners looking for a powerful mower that's easy to maintain.

Compare Riding Mower

Poulan Pro Company Profile

Poulan Pro
1912
9335 Harris Corners Pkwy.
Charlotte