2. Homeowners
  3. Riding Mowers

4.0/5 (222 ratings)

About Poulan Pro

Poulan Pro Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Poulan Pro?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Poulan Pro?

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

For the price this mower is adequate. I had one problem with the carburetor clinoid and instead of spending 60 bucks for a new part, I just took it off. The problem I have is with the mower deck. You can only adjust the deck in the front and on one side so I can't get a level cut unless I adjust it lower than what I like. My next mower will be a John Deere.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

Overall, a well-built mower. Only problem has been a "reluctance" to change from reverse back to forward, have to keep hitting pedal in current direction until it slips into the opposite gear. Otherwise, speed selection by the variable speed transmission is good. Battery stays charged all season and over the winter. Decent fuel economy. Mulching action very good.

Get buying tips about Riding Mower delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 29, 2020

The mower I purchased was a 2005 model used from another person. I purchased it in 2015 so it was already 10 years old. With the exception of having to purchase a new battery every 12-18 months I have not had any major issues. I just add oil, fuel and buy new battery every year. The grill is cheap. Hit fence lightly and broke it. I had to use duck tape to keep it together. I do keep my mower under a tarp to keep it from being weathered. The seat still soft and comfortable. Only spent $250.00 for this riding mower. Not sure if the new models are made badly but this 2005 model seems to hold up well.

Sincerely J.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

Had two years ago model PP19A42. Last year the tractor was difficult to get in reverse used three times the first year, but the second year just twice now reverse not working at all. Today I got a quote on the repairs. It will cost $900.00 to buy a new transmission. This tractor and many other Husqvarna have a black plastic transmission and cannot be opened it is sealed and can not be repaired. The company knew this was problem as early as 2013 but did nothing to fix the issue but kept selling them anyway.

Original review: July 3, 2019

All explained in experience... JUNK! I bought this for 1600 bucks and got less than 10 hours out of it before tranny went out. This is wife's mower so used gently in fenced areas. Had trouble early on but always started working if pushed short ways. Now nothing. Engine runs great but tranny is JUNK. Never again Poulan trash...

Original review: June 15, 2019

Purchased this Poulan Pro ride-on lawn mower 2017 and now the repair shop says the motor needs to be replaced and the transmission is not acting right. The mower can't be pushed in neutral. If you looked at it you would think it's brand new out of the box. But now it's just a waste of space! I will never buy Poulan products again!

Original review: March 18, 2019

Purchased a 4218a in late 2017. I used it to cut up branches and other fallen limbs for about 14 months. I haven't even work out a chain when clutch broke. Called for warranty replacement. “Sir, we cannot replace the saw. We can send you a name of a repair shop.” The repair shops tell me it’s not worth fixing. So, I’m out a saw while under Warranty. Thanks Poulan.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

Purchased Poulan Pro riding mower June 9, 2017 for $1,380.13 at Home Depot. It stopped working in September 2018. It was still under warranty. I dropped it off at the service shop of their choice on November 5, 2018. Needless to say we have been going back and forth between the repair shop and warranty dept about the irreparable transmission. 3 weeks ago the warranty dept said they would replace the transmission but when I called today on February 27, 2019 4 months later they act like they are still trying to contact the shop. My wife then calls to make complaint and the first person that I spoke to about the problem answered with his apologies. Not today. I had to call Capital One credit card to dispute the purchase as I have no riding lawnmower. Capital One will be disputing the purchase for me so that I can purchase a new, different brand!!!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Here are the facts. I bought the machine for about $280 at Menards. That was almost exactly a year ago. Box it was in said 2 year warranty. Last week the front wheel bearing went out. Not to worry I called the manufacturing representative to connect with a Poulon service site. When I called the technician said sorry. The only thing that is warrantied is the engine. I have only mowed my lawn and live in MI, where we have snow and no mowing in the Winter. I believe the facts justify the use of the word hoax. Yes I have the receipt and will keep it should anyone try to contest this as a fact.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I decided to upgrade from my 1982 Allis riding mower 2 1/2 years ago and was sold on a Poulon mower. I am not exaggerating when I say that every other time I mow one of the spindles breaks. While this was covered under warranty once, the company insists that it is not due to defect in their product. Every time this junk breaks down I pull the Allis out and it mows fine, after nearly 40 years. It is not one particular side or the other either. The spindle breaks at one or two mounting points every other time it is used. That means I am buying at least 4 spindles a year.

If you go through Amazon they are $20, if you go through Poulon they are much more. That means aside from the nearly $2000 you have spent on this, expect to spend at least $60 a year on parts beyond basic maintenance. I have given up on this machine, and I would recommend anyone who is looking at buying it, you are better off buying an older Murray, Allis or JD, and repairing it. In the long run you will spend less money.

Poulan Pro author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Poulan Pro creates innovative lawn equipment with a history spanning back to 1944. The company focuses on the homeowner market with 2 and 4 cylinder engine riding mowers.

• Up to 54-mowing deck: A large cutting deck speeds up the mowing process and handles four acres or more.

• Powerful engine: A quality engine provides the speed and strength to adjust to sloped terrain.

• Plush high back seats: Homeowners can go all day in a comfortable seat.

• Button blade control: The cutting blades turn on and off with a simple dash control.

• Easy maintenance: This riding mower has several easy cleaning and maintenance features.

Poulan Pro Company Information

1912
    9335 Harris Corners Pkwy.
    Charlotte