1.16/5
Based on 85 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

Poulan Pro

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 7, 2017

94 Poulan Pro Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

I will never purchase any product from Poulan as a result of my experience with the chainsaw I purchased from Walmart. When it wouldn't start I took it to my local small engine repair shop who told me there was no compression and the saw was shot. The saw was only used a handful of times and was cleaned and maintained meticulously. Their customer service was horrible and Walmart was no better. I now have 3 trees that blew over with no way to cut them up. Poulan's products in my opinion are worthless.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I bought a 46" riding mower from HD in May 2017. Used it for less than 20 hours and a blade rotator mechanism broke off and damaged the spindle. Took it to a repair shop and the techs there said it should be covered fine under PP's warranty as the items that broke are covered, but warned me that Poulan Pro has been denying more and more claims recently as they have started to not support and back their products anymore. 3 weeks later, Poulan Pro denies the claim and I have to pay $150 from pocket to get my $1300 mower back.

What total garbage. I am beyond livid because Poulan Pro refused to do what they stated in their warranty. Not only the above, but when I received my mower it had missing pieces. A bolt under the seat (which keeps it from sliding during use) and the steering wheel cover were missing. I called and spoke with multiple people at Poulan Pro to get the parts sent to me, was promised calls back and never got them. Be warned and advise you stay away from this worthless company. Garbage quality and terrible customer support. Never buying another Poulan Pro item ever again.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

Pardon for the vulgarity... but you know when you just got your ** kicked by Hurricane Irma... you just want help from your mechanical equipment to clean up the mess! I run the blower for 1 hour, runs out gas and is impossible to start again! I let this Poulan Pro 25cc piece of ** gas blower sit overnight, followed the starting steps precisely, (you have to or you have no chance of starting it) and this pile of mechanical garbage doesn't even sound like it will start! A Poulan product will never reside in my shop or home again... and I'm not stopping here, going to let this company know loud and clear! RIPOFF! and clear! RIPOFF!

Original review: July 25, 2017

I bought a 42" PoulanPro riding mower at HD. I used it four times and the reverse pedal fell off. The welds failed. I took it to the authorized repair center. I have taken all my previous mowers to them and was satisfied with the service. When I went to pick up the mower, I was told that Poulan does not cover any craftsmanship repairs. I have called the only contact phone number available and can not find a live person to complain to. Leaving a message is also useless. I would not recommend buying anything from Poulan.

Original review: July 21, 2017

Poulan Pro chainsaw 42cc 18inch - This is by far the worst chainsaw in production, and I have owned many in the past. Bought the first one at Home Depot for use around the home and returned it the very next week because it ran horribly. Stupid enough the sales person talked me into just exchanging it for a new one instead of a refund assuming it was a lemon. The second unit ran even worst than the first. It won't start and when it does it won't run and when it runs it won't cut. You're better off trying to cut with toothbrush. Their customer service is just as bad. Stay away or you have no one to blame but yourself as I have. Never! Ever! will a Poulan product enter my home.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Poulan Pro?

Original review: July 5, 2017

I have owned a Poulan Pro 42cc 18" Chainsaw for a couple of years now and have had nothing but headaches from it. I realize it is a cheap saw but how Poulan can sell this product is beyond me. I have used chainsaws on and off for over 40 years and have never had the problems that this one gives me. It is hard to start, dies after just a short time (5 minutes) and then will not start again. It has less than 2 hours of use on it and it is hard to start and when it does start it will die after just 5 minutes of use. Then it will not start again. I have used fresh gas, changed the spark plug, new filter, new gas line and now the damn thing will not start at all no matter what I do. Customer service at Poulan is non existent. You cannot talk to a real person to answer questions. I would strongly recommend everyone to stay away from this company. They do not stand behind their products and helping the customer is not in their vocabulary.

Original review: June 22, 2017

Bought a Poulan Pro riding mower from Home Depot 14 months ago (so maybe 35 uses so far). Having my third repair done as soon as I can get someone over here to fix it... again. My last mower (a Scotts, by John Deere, which I also bought from HD) lasted 15 years -- never had a problem till the Briggs & Stratton motor died. This Poulan Pro is singularly the biggest piece of crap I've ever bought (and, yes, I have all sorts of outdoor power equipment including chainsaws, leaf blower, cyclone rake, weed eater, snowblower, power washer, etc). And, good luck with their customer service line. Do NOT Buy Anything Made By Poulan Pro. I promise you, you'll be sorry.

Original review: June 22, 2017

Ordered saw online through Home Depot. First impression was "They sure don't build them like they used to". More like a toy than tool. Hard to start out of the box. Owned Poulan saws in the past, first new one in years! Sad how quality goes downhill when company is bought out by another. About 2 hours into cutting, third time using 5020 saw, saw bogs and quits running. Will not restart after repeated efforts. Days later still wont start. Still under warranty. Or so I would assume. Instructed to take to Home Depot store. At the store customer service says to take saw to tool rental. Paid $20 deposit.

Weeks later tool rental calls, "I took your saw apart and we wont cover the warranty." Tool rental guy takes saw apart first? Ok. "Why" I asked. "You ran saw without or not enough oil in gas". "Low compression. Will not run". He replied. "Was there oil in gas when I left the saw with you (blue color)?” I asked. “Kind of looks like it" was his reply. I then explained to him that I have used 2 cycle saws etc. for many years and well versed on proper gas and oil.

I then asked if he had had any certified training on 2 cycle small engines in which to reach this diagnosis and conclusion of my warranty. "No" was his reply. I asked him what his job was at the store. "To rent tools" was his reply. So now I’m left with a junk saw and out $20 to Home Depot for the tool rental guy to tear my saw apart. And don't bother contacting Home Depot or Poulan. Nothing but a phone chase going nowhere! Live and learn. Never again Poulan or Home Depot! Buy a quality saw from someone that will back it. Read reviews first. I wish I had.

Original review: June 13, 2017

We bought our brand new "Poulan PRO 46" riding mower - model PP20VA46" from Home Depot & experienced (2) major problems. The seat would not lock after tightening the lock nut underneath seat. So your seat would move forward & backward while driving the mower (very dangerous). We noticed the lawn was being scalped while cutting the lawn. So I tried to raise the height of cutting deck & still it was scalping our lawn. I got off mower & noticed that the "right side deck lift assembly" was not there!! Missing & not even attached to lift the right side of the mower's cutting deck! It was just hanging very low to the ground! Omg if the decking caught on something like a stump or sidewalk, you could flip over & seriously hurt the rider (dangerous condition #2). We noticed (2) other complaints about this problem on here already & we are contacting Home Depot & Poulan PRO Corp today & will follow up with results asap.

Original review: May 8, 2017

I purchased a Hedger at Home Depot a little over 6 months ago. I used it once. The first time it worked fine. I went to use it again for the second time yesterday as it is spring and my bushes need trimming. Could not get the Hedger to start at all. I completely replaced the gas and oil mixture with brand new Gas and Oil. Still no Success. I checked the air filter and the fuel filter and they were both clean. I waited 15 minutes just in case I flooded the engine. Still no Success in getting the Hedger started. Went to Home Depot which is where I purchased the item and noticed they no longer sell and Gas Poulan Pro Hedgers. Probably because they are complete garbage.

I tried calling customer service with Poulan Pro and keep getting stuck in their call tree. There is no option to talk to a representative. This has got to be the worst company. I will NEVER buy a POULAN product ever. I would encourage anyone to steer away from this company. DO NOT BUY THEIR PRODUCT. Save yourself the money and heartache. I spent over 200$ on the gas Hedger and was only able to use it once.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2017

On January 7th, 2017, I purchased a 18" Poulan Pro chain saw from Howland Hardware in Live Oak, FL. I haven't used it and after reading reviews about their products I'm sorry I bought it. What seems like a very minor and even a petty problem has developed into a "nothing can be done" issue with Poulan. When I opened the packing box (brand new) I discovered that the carrying handle on the hard plastic carrying case was not attached nor was it in the box. Now if I carry the saw in the case I have to use both hands to carry it rather than holding it by the carrying handle. I've contacted Poulan customer service and was told they could not do anything and to return to the place of purchase. Their instructions clearly state "Do not return product to retailer".

When I brought this to the 'customer non-service' person I was told to take it to the closest service center which is 27 miles away. This has become a non issue regarding the plastic handle but rather clearly defines the lack of support from the Poulan company and their unwillingness to help resolve even a minor issue. I paid $178 and am considering selling it while still new and unused for whatever I can get. God forbid I had a real problem like others I have read about. As they say, Lessons Learned. This has nothing to do with the retailer, Howland Hardware, where I purchased the saw as they have been very nice but in reality it is not their problem.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2016

I purchased my mower two years ago and have been having problems with it going in reverse, blade engaging, deck not level. Call where store where I purchased it sent me to authorized technician and was not under warranty for deck. Three other people in my neighborhood purchased the same mower around the same time I purchased mine and we are all having the same problems. Called Poulan and they wouldn't listen to the thought of having a bad batch of mowers. I paid over a $1000.00 for this mower and feel I have been swindled. Poulan needs to recall their mowers. This looks bad on them, but they have our money!!! Also was given a Poulan chainsaw and it stayed in shop more than using it and still is not running. Will not start!!!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

I have owned several Poulan products and have had the same problem with every single one. They are very hard to start and once they shut off you can never start them again. Chainsaw, Weedwhacker, leaf blower, heads trimmer, the same problem with every single item! I have said it before but this time I mean it, I will never ever buy a Poulan product ever again! I have gotten toys out of happy meals at McDonald's that lasted longer than their products! I am also puzzled as to why Lowe's continues to Poulan garbage!!! If you're thinking about buying a Poulan product, learn from my mistakes and pick another brand!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2016

We had a tree blow over Monday morning. My old 20-year-old chain saw wouldn't start. We went to Lowe's and bought a new Poulan Pro 18" chainsaw for $170. Came home, mixed the gas as directed, filled the tank, and it started within 6 pulls. Great! But it stopped after about 5 minutes and wouldn't start again. We let it sit overnight.

Tuesday... Starting cord came off. Watched a few youtube videos and took an hour to fix it (the screw that holds it on had come off -- the screw goes into PLASTIC, not metal). Can we say "piece of crap"? Cord fixed. Same story. Started fairly easily, stopped after about 5 minutes of use (we're talking 2-3" branches, not huge logs). Wouldn't start again. We let it sit overnight. Wed... Same story. Started, stopped after 5 minutes. Thurs... Different story. Refused to start at all. We're talking 30 pulls, 40 pulls at a time. Yes, choke is on, primer bulb pumped as recommended, you can see gas in the primer bulb. It not only doesn't start, it doesn't even sound like it MIGHT start. And yes, safety bar is in "on" position, the "off" switch is in "on" position, etc. etc. Everything fine from my side. We're going back to Lowe's tomorrow for a refund. This is a pure piece of crap.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2016

On a new riding mower "Poulan Pro" a small metal part that holds the belt broke (visible manufacturing defect). Trying to reach a warranty person that could send me a part was impossible. For warranty I can haul it to a service center so they can diagnose the part, then leave it for a week or two or haul it back again, to have them install the part, which would take 60 seconds was just not worth the effort, so it cost me $18 and an hour of trying. I like the mower, I expect things to break (not during the warranty period). But if it's a hassle to fix why buy it?

Original review: Aug. 2, 2016

From the outset of purchase one of the adjusting arms to set the cutting level, pops out of position and falls out of place, effectively causing the mower not to be level. I purchased a $4 clamp to hold the one leveler in place and did write a letter to the company in Charlotte, NC explaining the problem as we live in Canada and it is unknown as to the local supplier is. That letter was written on June 26, 2016 and no reply has ever been received. I will now file a complaint with Costco, as that is where we purchased the mower. Returning it is not that easy as it must be delivered to the store and explained. We would never purchase another Poulan product.

Original review: July 7, 2016

Purchased this unit String trimmer PP25S from Family Farm and Home thinking they would only sell reputable brands. Took the unit home. Immediately hated the trimmer head, that only took the pre cut line (18" pcs). In addition, the trimmer was woefully underpowered! I replaced the line 6 times in less than a half hour. I stopped to move the sprinkler and two minutes after restarting, the unit stopped and would not rev up, and then began stopping after about 3 seconds. I believe the spark arrester in the muffler was plugged. After about 50 tries, I put it in the truck to return to Family Farm and Home. The snappy young man there said "it was a gas unit that he could not return, but he would gladly upgrade me to a $250 Husqvarna unit". I told him for that price, I would go buy a STIHL unit. Will no longer be shopping at Family Farm and Home, and trust me, Poulan USA will never get another dime of mine. Half ** equipment from wannabe farmers!

Original review: June 6, 2016

Bought Poulan Pro chainsaw (PP5020AV 20") from Home Depot 11/2015. Used a few times. Always difficult to start but worked. Tried to start the saw to cut some branches and saw would not turn over. After several tries the pull start would not retract. Called Poulan service and they gave me the number of a few companies to service in my area of which most were no longer in business. I have had another chainsaw of a different brand for 15 years and it still works every time. All I have ever done is replace the fuel lines and chains. This product didn't last 6 months.

Original review: June 3, 2016

I purchased a new saw the Poulan P3416 from Walmart in October 2014. The saw was always very difficult to start and I have used chainsaws even in former jobs. With less than 40 hours of service the saw would not start except 1 in more than 100 pulls. I followed all instructions to the tee. Poulan sent me to at least 3 repair shops some that no longer exist and the other wanted nothing to do with them. Travelling hundreds of miles to false locations and spent many time more than the saw price just to get some warranty service. Finally a shop took the saw and was supposed to return it in less than a week and kept it for 6 weeks.

I was repeated lied to thereafter. First the company said I used a poor quality oil (Poulan Weed Eater synthetic as instructed). Then the company said I used an ethanol based gasoline, a total lie. The mechanic said the saw was scored 360 degrees. Talking to another mechanic it appears the mechanic made no attempt to start crank or open the saw. They would not repair the broken crank as per the warranty later asked me to take it back (how many times I am losing count). They clearly acted in bad faith with misdirection, flat out lies and refused to honor any terms of the warranty.

Original review: May 17, 2016

We received the crate with the mower, had to assemble the steering wheel and seat. When we went to raise the deck to push the mower off the grate, the deck would never, not lift. I notice the rod which raises and lowers the deck was never put in the hole on the one side and on the other side the lever was pushed into the plastic deck. I have never seen such poor workmanship in my life, ashamed to say this was made in the good old USA.

I worked in the auto industry for over 30 years in Indiana for Dana Corp and we actually took pride in our product. It seems that when companies move their locations down south quality suffers big time, even when Dana moved down south we had to salvage the parts they sent back to us, not sure why the people in the south don't care about quality but it is a shame. I would never recommend a Poulan product to anyone. We ordered it from Home Depot who was very apologetic and refunded our money. I enclosed a picture and also the serial number so they can maybe trace it to the employee and take action.

Original review: May 8, 2016

I bought this trimmer 14 months ago and have used it probably about 15 times at the most. Shortly after purchasing, the recoil start rope would not retract. The few warranty eligible repair businesses were all backlogged 2-3 months so I took the trimmer to a business that had repaired other equipment of mine. After using the trimmer 4-5 more times, the same thing happened. If I had to do it all over I would have spent a little more as this equipment is inferior. I guess we just do not have the quality that we used to have.

Original review: April 2, 2016

I used the mower approximately 6 times and each time the steering messed up. I sent it out 3 times to be fixed and each time it came back it messed up again. Totally unhappy with this mower 30 ln.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2016

I have 3 Poulan chainsaws - none of them work. The 3rd one is used twice before. Yes it's a piece of **. Yes, I'm good at fixing things - with Poulan product there is no hopes. Hard to work it and very hard to keep it working. I do not recommend it to anyone even if it is for free with love.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2015

I have purchased 2 blowers. The first one had about 20 hours on it before it died completely. Threw it in trash can. Made a bad mistake and purchased a second one and it will not start when it is warm or hot. I have a Poulan chainsaw that will not start when it is warm or hot. Chainsaw has about 12 hours on it. The cost to have someone check it out is more than worth. I have a 30 year Homelite saw that runs and starts every time. It is a 16 inch and I wanted a 18 inch. Bad mistake!!! I recommend to anyone do not consider purchasing a Poulan product at any price!!!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2015

I have had two Poulan chainsaws and have had problems keeping them running, so I put them up and have not used them again. Now a neighbor has bought a Poulan Wild thing. He has had problems with it from the day he bought it. The saw will not continue to run for more than 10 to 15 minutes and is a beast to start. I have replaced the carb., the gas lines, the fuel filter, the spark plug, cleaned the ignition plate. It starts and runs for some time and then it stalls and will not start. It leaks gas from around the gas cap and the starter cord would not recoil. I replaced that with a kit so now it will recoil, sometimes. Just got it to start for him this morning and dropped it off to him. I will be making a spot to hang it alongside the two I have in my barn when it comes back today or tomorrow, and I will suggest that he purchase a REAL saw next time.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2015

About 2 years ago I wanted to buy a chainsaw. My brother in law, who is an arborist and who knows about chainsaws, suggested I get a Poulan Pro. He figured I would never cut more than 10 chords of wood a year and that this would do the trick. Was he ever wrong... So here I was with my brand new Poulan Pro PP 4218AVX (42cc), out for its first run, and a nice pile of 4 foot logs. Two hours later: Buzz, buzz, buzz... bzzz... dead. I could not get it going again. What!? My brother in law tried and was surprised to finally have to say that he too couldn't get it going. So I brought it into a Poulan service center. After the guy had time to look at it he called me back and said, "Sorry. But it was badly put together. There ain't much I can do with it. I'll ask that Poulan sends you a replacement unit since you are definitely still under warranty." Yeah, no **!

So six (6) months later I get the new saw (yeah, great customer service). That was earlier this year in February. Okay, fine. So I decide to be extra gentle with this one and to put a 16 inch bar on it rather than keep the 18 inch bar it came with. Small bar means less resistance - should give it a chance. Well, I've used that saw a total of 6 times, never more than 3 hours at a stretch, and still I am back to the original saw's problem - I can no longer start this thing. Awesome! The last three times I used it were, of course, not great... Time #4: The carburetor needed to be adjusted because each time I let go of the gas it would shut down. Since it doesn't use a regular screw driver for its carburetor adjustments I spent the 2 hours that it did want to work giving it a little gas all the time when I didn't want it to die. But eventually it wouldn't start up anymore.

I ordered the special adjustment tool online and brought the saw to a service center so that I could go the next weekend (since I wasn't expecting the tool to arrive before that). The next day the guy at the shop calls me and says, "Eh, I can't get it started." Wow, and he's the little motors mechanic. Basically he says it would cost me more to have it fixed than the price of the damn saw. So I get my saw back and leave it in the garage. No wood cutting that weekend. The next week I get the tool and decide to try it again. After a little fighting with it it finally springs back to life. Cool. So I adjust it. It now idles nicely and revs beautifully. Great. Can't wait till next weekend.

Time #5: Weekend comes and the saw goes well a whole hour and a half after which time it just straight out quits and won't start again. Aw come on... The next day, back in the garage, I check it out as best I can. The spark plug sparks. The exhaust is not anywhere near dirty or clogged up. The air filter is basically new. I check the carburetor - it appears completely clean and the gas lines have gas. So I do a few starting tests - all's good.

Time #6: 20 minutes... tops. I have this incredible urge to see if this crap can fly... I should have. I have not been able to get it started since (that was 3 weeks ago). I finally solved the problem: I bought an Echo CS-490. I've used it twice already (Friday and Saturday) for a total of 8 hours. I stopped each day because I had something else to do - not because the saw quit on me. Conclusion: If you have a few branches to trim use a saw or borrow a friend's chainsaw. Anything else, buy a real saw (Echo, Stihl or Husqvarna) - if you buy a Poulan get ready to end up thinking, "Man, I should have spent the extra bucks..."

Original review: Oct. 19, 2015

I bought a Poulan chainsaw from our local Canada tire last year. It has been in 3x for repairs. I asked for a refund and they refused!! The chainsaw was in right after it came out of box. This company is creating garbage and then we are stuck with it. Today after third repair, I tried to start it and now rope won't come out to pull start. I give up, I'm just going to throw it out and never ever buy something from this company again!!!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2015

I purchased two years ago a gas chainsaw Poulan Pro 50cc (50cm3). After the first year I started to have trouble. This year is unbearable - it just keeps stalling. I am so sorry that I purchased the Poulan Pro just to save money. It is the biggest piece of crap in the market.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2015

OK, so I buy this Poulan Pro mower (I had a Poulan chainsaw and dropped more trees than I can count with it; one right on it – you couldn't kill it). What a mistake. The dipstick was defective and my son burned-up the engine (no oil). Sure enough, the dipstick says the engine is close to being over-filled with oil but remove the flange plug and the engine is bone dry.

Took it to a repair shop and he knew why I was there! (Dipstick issue.) But gave me the 'talk to the hand' before I could say a word and informed me that the engine was trashed (Briggs 6hp) and $$$$ to fix if it's not covered by the warranty, and I've seen plenty of these this spring - not one was covered by Poulan Pro. He wanted to be paid IN ADVANCE just to look at the thing. TERRIBLE MOWER: When I arrived back home I looked at the area it mowed and started finding plastic pieces all over the place. Turns out everything underneath was made of cheap plastic and quickly came loose & dropped onto the blade. CRUMMY MACHINE!!!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2015

Bought a new Poulan Pro from Menards. Took it out to cut some 6-10" trees down. 15 minutes in, chain came off. Reset it and proceeded to deal with this a couple more times. Finally chain came off and was bound. Went and got a replacement and proceeded to spend about 7 hours dealing with this and the engine bogging down and not starting consistently. Quit for the day and went back to Menards.

Of course they would do nothing (first mistake you should notice when you open the box) and directed me back to Poulan. Poulan then says they won't take it back but directs me to a service center... Blain's Farm and Fleet. Blain's says they cannot return and are only authorized to fix and maybe Poulan will warranty it. I again try Poulan and they won't budge. Turned Poulan in to the Better Business Bureau and Poulan would not return their calls and BBB had to close case. Basically out $200 for the equivalent of 3/4 a cord of wood. Terrible company and service... Spend the extra money for reputable company like Stihl.

Poulan Pro expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Poulan Pro creates innovative lawn equipment with a history spanning back to 1944. The company focuses on the homeowner market with 2 and 4 cylinder engine riding mowers.

• Up to 54-mowing deck: A large cutting deck speeds up the mowing process and handles four acres or more.
    • Powerful engine: A quality engine provides the speed and strength to adjust to sloped terrain.
    • Plush high back seats: Homeowners can go all day in a comfortable seat.
    • Button blade control: The cutting blades turn on and off with a simple dash control.
    • Easy maintenance: This riding mower has several easy cleaning and maintenance features.
    • Best for: Homeowners looking for a powerful mower that's easy to maintain.
    Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
    ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

Poulan Pro Company Information

Poulan Pro
    1912
    9335 Harris Corners Pkwy.
    Charlotte