Find a Roof Shingles partner

Owens Corning Shingles

Owens Corning Shingles

4.0/5 (62 ratings)
Find a Roof Shingles partner

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About Owens Corning Shingles

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Owens Corning Shingles Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Owens Corning Shingles?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Owens Corning?

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

We had 18 years on a 25 year roof, and we decided that it needed replacing, and we were going to do it this summer. 2018. Several "moss remover" companies that I had do maintenance on our roof strongly suggested that we replace the roof. I was hoping to get 30 years out of it, as that seems to be the industry standard. We jumped through all of the hoops, had to make several attempts to explain that we didn't buy the roof, it was on the house when we bought it NEW. However, they did reimburse us with a fair settlement after it was over. One of the things that was odd was as part of the settlement was a material voucher. I surely wasn't putting OC Shingles back on, and the roof job was already completed. Now I have a material voucher that doesn't do anything for me. Overall, I feel that they stepped up and did the right thing.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I have a house with shingles that are only 6 years old. I thought we had sold our house for a move to Florida but during the inspection there was a roof shingle problem. Buyer had a roofing contractor out to inspect the roof, he found no hail or weather damage but did find the Owens Corning shingles to have a manufacturing defect. I contact the home's previous owner who gave me the installer's name and found out she was never told about registering the warranty; she was told the shingles were 25-30 year shingles.

I contacted the installer and his company also said the shingles were defective and that Owen Corning should replace them. He is a Preferred Platinum member at Owens Corning but they are refuse to replace the shingles saying the warranty was not registered and was not transferable. The installer says he is trying to convenience Owens Corning to replace them but I really do not know how truthful he is as he never contacts me to give updates as it is always me calling or emailing him, many times without any response from him. Due to this problem never use Owens Corning shingles as they do not stand by their product like GAF or Timberline do according to many other roofing contractors.

Original review: March 18, 2018

After having Owens Corning Duration shingles color "AMBER" installed on three different roofing projects I have done it is absolutely the worst durability issues I have ever seen. The first one we installed I received a phone call from the homeowner about a week after insulation asking me to come by and look at his roof, when I got up there and looked at his roof if I wouldn't have known that we just installed his roof a week ago I would have thought his roof was over 5 years old. The scuff marks the granules missing on all the edges. It was horrible. My homeowner was like, "Did you guys install a used roof on my house?". He really thought that I had to go back and prove to him with an invoice of purchase and delivery receipt to his address. I told him to file a warranty claim with Owens Corning. He did.

Then I went back and looked at 2 other Amber colored roofs we had installed. One was about 3 months old the other one about 1 month prior. Same thing. I was like I will never ever sell this color again and haven't as a matter of fact. I have talked a couple of other of my clients from picking out that color. This all was about 5 years ago. Just 2 days ago I inspected a roof that was installed 18 months ago from another contractor and guess what? When I climbed up there and looked at that roof it looked horrible, it looked like it was at least a 10-year-old roof.

I asked the homeowner to pull their old paperwork to see what manufacture and the color. Guess what it was? Owens Corning amber. I explained my past experience about this shingle with this homeowner, he was like, "Wow what do we do from here". I told him to file a warranty claim against Owens Corning. He is like, "I don't want to go through the hassle". I have called a claim in for him to get him a new roof from his insurance company because that is the route he wanted to take. We'll see what happens. As a concerned contractor that does things by the book 100% I just wanted to put this out there so people are aware of it. I no longer will install Owens Corning only because we have chosen another manufacturer. Just wanted to get this out there.

Original review: March 5, 2018

We went for the 50 year TruDef or 'lifetime' shingle from Owens Corning. Four years have passed and we are adding onto the home. We provided information for the builder to order the same shingles for the addition. Bottom line, they don't match at all. The original installer came out to state that the pictures of the difference I sent them were tremendously more than he originally thought. However the sales guy they sent as a rep dismissed the difference and offered no resolution.

They might last 50 years, but you won't be able to match them. The value of my home has been diminished as you can see there is distinctly a huge difference in color. Old ones are orange and red, new ones are tan and brown. The OC rep stated they don't guarantee the color. So read the fine print carefully, as you've just spent a high dollar amount on shingles that won't hold their color, and won't match anything you order after the original install.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

Owens Corning doesn't stand behind their product or certified contractors by them. My roof was put in 2005 by my previous seller. The proof was warranted 30 years but ever since we moved in 2015, the roof started leaking. We first thought just a couple leaks through vents or something but later we started having leakings everywhere from the roof and contacted the original contractor who were certified by Owens Corning. He gave me all kind of excuses. Then we contacted Owens Corning and they had someone come out and looked at the roof. Told us workmanship on our roof was horrible and will try to contact the original contractor, have them redo the work with the material supplied by them and so on. Then they never follow up.

My husband contacted them and now they changed the position saying we don't know and asking for the ownership of warranty transfer and blah... They will not discuss any matter anymore because we don't have the warranty transferred and so on. I ended up hiring a new contractor and installed GAF roof instead Owens Corning. They give you all the excuses not to stand behind their own products and contractors certified by them.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

First we paid extra for a upgraded warranty. Our roof was put on By a reputable roofing contractor. During hurricane Irma our ridge vent shingles blew off. Our shingles are supposed to be rated for 115 mph sustained winds. We got nowhere near that. Upon calling Owens Corning they want you to jump through all kinds of hoops. Meanwhile we had an exposed roof. They recommended we tarp the vent. Well our roof was only 2 years old and I was not going to nail furring strips and create more damage. We asked them to send out one of their people. That was unacceptable. So I would not recommend them at all and definitely do not use a shingled ridge vent.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

Owens Corning Oakridge shingles installed in 2006 are defective. The granules covering the shingle that protect the shingle from the sun are falling off. I filed a warranty claim and jumped through all the hoops that made it difficult. Owens Corning agreed that the shingles are defective and offered me 20 square of shingles... I need 30 square. They wouldn't give any ridge cap or increase their settlement offer. This company does not stand behind their product. They spend a lot of money on advertising and not much on developing quality products. It just a matter of time before they file bankruptcy again.

Original review: July 14, 2017

MiraVista case: In the year 2002, I contacted Owens Corning Co. in Toledo Ohio and expressed to them, I was interested in a permanent roof system for our two story house and detached garage, could they help me. I talked to a Mr. Jeff **, Owens Corning District Sales Manager for the Mira Vista roof system. Mr. ** directed me to a distributor; ABC Supply Co. Inc. of Taylor MI, where eventually the roofing material was purchased. On my request, Mr. ** also recommended a roofer for the specialized installation, Mies Roofing of Flat Rock, MI. The MiraVista roof system cost us $16,802.00 including labor. In 2014 we trimmed the pine tree branches in front of the house because in a storm sometimes it touched the upper roof. In 2016 we changed the ceiling tiles from fiber glass to Armstrong tiles in our master bed room on the upper level. After the first rainstorm we noticed a brown spot on one of the ceiling tiles.

We had the roof repaired by HomeAdvisor recommended, Renner Bros. Construction Inc. of Ferndale MI. Mr. Dale ** of Renner Bros. came out three times to repair the roof. The roof is still leaking. On the Internet I found out, that there was a Class Action Lawsuit against MiraVista Roof System. On April 18th 2017, contacted Owens Corning regarding the MiraVista Roof that leaks. Talked with representative Ms. Kay, she is assigned to the MiraVista Roof System cases. I explained my roof leak situation to her. She told me, since there was a Class Action Lawsuit and was a settlement they will not help me.

I should have known about it. It was in the New York Times and Wall Street Journal. I told her "I don't read these papers and nobody contacted me regarding the Class Action Lawsuit." According the dates available to me Owens Corning was already under litigation when knowingly sold the defective MiraVista roof system to me. As of today Owens Corning will not help me.

Original review: April 19, 2017

I invested in the Owens Corning 50-yr Duration shingle roofing system from a Owens Corning Platinum preferred contractor in my area. My old roof was leaking so bad... My new roof has been installed 1.5 yrs and has performed flawlessly. Most reviews I have read on here is due to faulty installation rather than product. Your labor is just as important as the product. Buyers beware of lousy contractors trying to blame the manufacturers.

Original review: March 4, 2017

I had a Owens Corning Oakridge 25 laminated shingle - self-sealing ridge shingles installed on 8/30/2001. In 2014 I noticed a little brown spot in my living room. Now in 2017 I have a large brown spot in my bedroom. I saw on this website that there have been issues with Owens Corning Oakridge Shingles. I also noticed granules in my downspouts after it had been raining. I called Owens Corning and filed a complaint. The Owens Corning customer service person said for me to get on the roof and take two shingle samples. I am 70-years-old and a widow. I will not be climbing on my roof!

Owens Corning sent an inspector out to get the samples. I had to send all kind of documentation to Owens Corning stating that I lived in the home. I received a letter from Owens Corning stating that my claim had been denied. I called a home inspector; he climbed into the attic and saw where there had been leakage on the plywood on the roof and around the one of the vents, and additional leaking and rusty nails. He also took pictures of some of the shingles on the roof that had holes and torn places on my roof. This Oakridge Roof was supposed to last until the year 2031!!! That is not happening. I am getting bids right now to have my roof replaced, plus replace plywood that got damaged.

Owens Corning Shingles Company Information