Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Owens Corning Shingles Reviews

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

First we paid extra for a upgraded warranty. Our roof was put on By a reputable roofing contractor. During hurricane Irma our ridge vent shingles blew off. Our shingles are supposed to be rated for 115 mph sustained winds. We got nowhere near that. Upon calling Owens Corning they want you to jump through all kinds of hoops. Meanwhile we had an exposed roof. They recommended we tarp the vent. Well our roof was only 2 years old and I was not going to nail furring strips and create more damage. We asked them to send out one of their people. That was unacceptable. So I would not recommend them at all and definitely do not use a shingled ridge vent.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

Owens Corning Oakridge shingles installed in 2006 are defective. The granules covering the shingle that protect the shingle from the sun are falling off. I filed a warranty claim and jumped through all the hoops that made it difficult. Owens Corning agreed that the shingles are defective and offered me 20 square of shingles... I need 30 square. They wouldn't give any ridge cap or increase their settlement offer. This company does not stand behind their product. They spend a lot of money on advertising and not much on developing quality products. It just a matter of time before they file bankruptcy again.

Original review: July 14, 2017

MiraVista case: In the year 2002, I contacted Owens Corning Co. in Toledo Ohio and expressed to them, I was interested in a permanent roof system for our two story house and detached garage, could they help me. I talked to a Mr. Jeff **, Owens Corning District Sales Manager for the Mira Vista roof system. Mr. ** directed me to a distributor; ABC Supply Co. Inc. of Taylor MI, where eventually the roofing material was purchased. On my request, Mr. ** also recommended a roofer for the specialized installation, Mies Roofing of Flat Rock, MI. The MiraVista roof system cost us $16,802.00 including labor. In 2014 we trimmed the pine tree branches in front of the house because in a storm sometimes it touched the upper roof. In 2016 we changed the ceiling tiles from fiber glass to Armstrong tiles in our master bed room on the upper level. After the first rainstorm we noticed a brown spot on one of the ceiling tiles.

We had the roof repaired by HomeAdvisor recommended, Renner Bros. Construction Inc. of Ferndale MI. Mr. Dale ** of Renner Bros. came out three times to repair the roof. The roof is still leaking. On the Internet I found out, that there was a Class Action Lawsuit against MiraVista Roof System. On April 18th 2017, contacted Owens Corning regarding the MiraVista Roof that leaks. Talked with representative Ms. Kay, she is assigned to the MiraVista Roof System cases. I explained my roof leak situation to her. She told me, since there was a Class Action Lawsuit and was a settlement they will not help me.

I should have known about it. It was in the New York Times and Wall Street Journal. I told her "I don't read these papers and nobody contacted me regarding the Class Action Lawsuit." According the dates available to me Owens Corning was already under litigation when knowingly sold the defective MiraVista roof system to me. As of today Owens Corning will not help me.

Original review: April 19, 2017

I invested in the Owens Corning 50-yr Duration shingle roofing system from a Owens Corning Platinum preferred contractor in my area. My old roof was leaking so bad... My new roof has been installed 1.5 yrs and has performed flawlessly. Most reviews I have read on here is due to faulty installation rather than product. Your labor is just as important as the product. Buyers beware of lousy contractors trying to blame the manufacturers.

Original review: March 4, 2017

I had a Owens Corning Oakridge 25 laminated shingle - self-sealing ridge shingles installed on 8/30/2001. In 2014 I noticed a little brown spot in my living room. Now in 2017 I have a large brown spot in my bedroom. I saw on this website that there have been issues with Owens Corning Oakridge Shingles. I also noticed granules in my downspouts after it had been raining. I called Owens Corning and filed a complaint. The Owens Corning customer service person said for me to get on the roof and take two shingle samples. I am 70-years-old and a widow. I will not be climbing on my roof!

Owens Corning sent an inspector out to get the samples. I had to send all kind of documentation to Owens Corning stating that I lived in the home. I received a letter from Owens Corning stating that my claim had been denied. I called a home inspector; he climbed into the attic and saw where there had been leakage on the plywood on the roof and around the one of the vents, and additional leaking and rusty nails. He also took pictures of some of the shingles on the roof that had holes and torn places on my roof. This Oakridge Roof was supposed to last until the year 2031!!! That is not happening. I am getting bids right now to have my roof replaced, plus replace plywood that got damaged.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Owens Corning?

Original review: Feb. 20, 2017

Product failure and warranty issue - My house was built in 2005. The roofing was put on April 2005 with 30YR-PRO DRIFTWOOD, the asphalt granules are badly coming off and fiberglass is showing though I have had a top notch very experienced roofing company come out to look and to send samples to the lab and talk with Owens Corning. After all their hard work my letter I finally received had said my roofing is failing and they offered me a settlement of a whopping 2,265.78. That's only 73.26% of the material which their warranty states 1-10 YRS 100%, 11-40 YRS 80%, reduced by 2% every year thereafter until 40. When your roof is only 11years old and falling apart and not expecting to replace it until you are close or retired might I add this does not cover labor expenses! I hope by sharing my info more will. MAYBE soon something might be done because this is not fair business. If your product has a problem and you're aware then FIX it!!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2017

I bought the house in 2013 and now am told my roof is shot. It is 9 years old, build in 2007 and I was told by three different roofers that it is due to defective Owen Corning shingles. I called the company and the response I got was the original owner didn't register the warranty and they didn't transfer it to me. So they won't do anything. So they should stop saying 25 year warranty. I get that is a nice way to avoid paying claims but a good company that cared about their product would honor the warranty. I mean they know the shingles are theirs and they know there are a ton of cases of this occurring but since I didn't know the warranty had to be transferred (which it couldn't have been anyway the original owner never registered it) to me they get to avoid repair costs they should be responsible for. I have emailed their CFO, media relations guy, and as many others that I can but I expect nothing to happen.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

June of 2016, I ordered 12Sq of 30 year Owens Corning Duration Shingles in Chateau Green to cover my barn in NY. I wanted a deep forest green color to correspond with a future color scheme we were planning and Owens appeared to have exactly what we wanted. So, I picked the color direct from the Owens website based on the photo provided. I purchased and had the material delivered to my NY site and hired a contractor to install the shingles. Upon completion of the job the contractor emailed me a photo of the finished product. The shingles were BLUE not GREEN! They were not even close to the color depicted on their website! Now I'm stuck with a stupid looking blue roof!

Now, 8 months later I received a call telling me that the roofing granular material is visibly washing off the shingles and pooling at the drip line of the building. Not only was the color misrepresented on their website, the material is defective as well! My suggestion to anyone looking for roofing material is to avoid this brand, color and model of material. I did not bother contacting Owens because I have read other complaints as to the defective material with no relief from the company so, decided not to subject myself to added brain damage dealing with them. FYI: The roof I replaced with this Owens product was GAF and was installed 40 years ago!

Original review: Jan. 1, 2017

I need a new roof and the contractor used Owens Corning Duration Shingles, Duration model. It is now 2016 and I still notice after normal nonwindy rains granules in the gutter downspout catch pan. I would think this would have stopped by now. Or is this normal?? Picture attached. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2016

We had our roof replaced by Chico Roofing in 2011. About a year later it started to leak so we had the contractor return to find and fix the leak and we thought that he had fixed it but the next year and every year since it has leaked. The contractor was great in his attempts to correct the problem and then he determined the shingles were defective and he contacted Owens Corning. They wanted pictures, shingle samples, proof of purchase and ownership of house at the time of purchase. I felt that this was reasonable but started getting antsy when they wanted more pictures of front and back of the house along with the address. I started thinking they were giving me the runaround but I didn't realize they were wanting to see if the attic was properly vented.

Finally a sales rep. came and checked the house and reported back to claims department. They have since sent me a check to cover the labor and a voucher for full shingle replacement. I cannot be happier with final outcome. By the way the shingles being replaced still look great. You would not think any is wrong with them.

Owens Corning Shingles Company Information