Murray Lawn Mowers

Compare Riding Mowers

Research top Riding Mowers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Murray lawn mower bought at Walmart in Yukon, OK - Walmart dont stick by their products. Had to call Murray. They passed the buck to Briggs & Straton. The people there only said sorry. Gave some phone # to call service people in OKC. And they wanted as much to inspect than the mower cost. The parts are all plastic trying to cut cost so they can make more money to rip the public. USA made. They are not all bad. Being a veteran money is tight and wanted a new mower that would last. It’s all about the money. Been using Briggs all my life. They just dont care. Just get worse. Pure junk and some service people wont even work on them USA made by Briggs. Save your money. Dont buy because you will cry.

I purchased this mower a few month ago and it is nothing but trouble. I've had 2 gas caps vibrate right off and ran them over, chopping them in pieces. My cover for the air filter vibrates off every time I mow, and when pulling the mower backwards, it completely chopped up the blk plastic guard that is supposed to be there for safety. By the way, it should never even touch the blade. This mower stalls constantly, and have trouble starting it almost every time. I'm VERY UNHAPPY with this mower, and it's frustrating just to go out and mow. NEVER again will I buy any Murray or Briggs & Stratton product. By the way, My dad has the same mower and he also has the exact same problems I have. I live in Ohio, He is in NY. What does one have to do to get these problems resolved? I can only imagine that there is many many more people with these issues.

Murray Riding mower - My boyfriend bought this mower at Walmart in Mayfield, KY. About 34 days later, the transmission locked up. I called Walmart & we had to transport it back to KY Walmart so they could see it. They gave us another new one to replace it. This morning I was finishing the mowing from yesterday & the darn transmission locked up AGAIN!!! Is this a common problem or just our bad luck? Mower now sitting on the edge of our driveway and will not move!!!

Ok people hope this helps. Good mower with design flaw, so after I purchased mower had same problem. Damn thing just wouldn't start. So I read reviews and asked myself why would so many people have same problem. So I inspected whole of mower and found everything in proper working order. Then I went deeper and found a serious design flaw after I drained gas. I open the gas cap and found a problem. Now this runs on 2 cycle and that means oil with gas, where gas goes to engine under gas cap directly on bottom. The small screen will get soot and oil when sits for even a short while. So get pipe cleaner and stick it inside gas tank and scrub off soot and mineral build up. Poor or no gas flow to engine, well take it from there.

Hope it helps the frustrated like me that gets poor customer service when trying to warranty or return. Runs like a champ and yes poor gas flow will make it struggle, shut off and jump around. Hope someone finds this insightful.

Bought a Murray 21 inch cut/Briggs and Stratton 450e, from Walmart on 5/27/17. The next day it started right up on first pull. Was cutting grass, stopped to take a rest after 20 minutes of cutting, went back out to start cutting again and the thing won't start, I must have tried to start it more than 20 time and my 16 yr. old son tried about as many times as I did. I grew up watching my father run lawn mowers with B and S engines and was always impressed, not so much now. It's going back in the box and back to Walmart tomorrow.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Murray?

My husband bought a Murray seat motor riding lawn mower, if that's what you call it. So we divorced and he left me the lawn mower. It never cranks or runs. After reading these reviews I know now not just me. Out of the past 10 years I've probably got to mow my grass 5 times. Always new battery seems to help. Change out solenoid every year. Hate this mower. I like the style of mower but don't help when it doesn't run.

I purchased new 4.1.2016. Wasn't long engine didn't sound right. Carburetor was messed up. Not covered under warranty. My husband sick and took few weeks to get a 2nd opinion that it wasn't just me. Put carburetor on it. Belt kept coming off, was told wrong belt on it. Wouldn't go into transport hardly at all. It would take up to 25 attempts to move it.

Finally would and then if you could get it running mow then 25 more attempts to get it back into shed. Call for help, take it authorized dealer to get looked at and they will tell you if it's covered. I have to pay transportation fees to get it to them or they pick it up. You have to deal with 4 to 5 different companies to find out information. When the tech Not authorized, was putting carburetor on it, he had to take that piece of black plastic off and what I saw was a shock!. The flywheel looked like it was 20 years old, it was so rusted!

When calling Murray/Briggs & Stratton, gave them the serial # and was told it was a 2005 Body... I had just purchased it 95 days or so ago! They would not do anything, Wal-Mart wouldn't do anything (over 90 days), Husqvarna would not do anything (they make the body),... etc nobody would do anything. I told them all the transport doesn't work. They say "take it to a authorized dealer. And during all this, my husband passed away and didn't have time or energy to mess with it. Briggs & Stratton did finally reimbursed me for having the carburetor put on it as a one-time courtesy.

I called this morning to finally get the transport fixed. They told me they did not work on the Murray's. They did when calling them last September. Got the name of another dealer, he said it's most likely not covered, will make some calls and get back to me. I just want the people thinking about purchasing a Murray so BEWARE! I'm out of a lot of money! (at least to me $1,200 is a lot of money when you don't have a lot!) I am attaching copy of the receipt where I purchased it and the photos of the rusted parts. This is honestly the truth! Its sounds made up but it is the truth. I put 1 star because it would not let me leave it blank. I had to do it!

I bought this Murray 20" push mower from Walmart and I only got 5 mows out of it. After that it never started again. I drained all fuel, cleaned carburetor, replaced filter and spark plug and it still didn't start. It has the Briggs and Stratton engine and this mower is JUNK! Well I tried to contact Murray to send it back in to fix. I got no answer or callbacks. I took it to the local mom and pop repair shop and they told me it would cost more to fix than its worth. Wow. They also told me they don't sell Murray's. Go figure. Lesson learned. Save your money and buy a quality brand like Toro or Honda. If they ever break you will still be ahead.

I purchased a Murray Push Mower 20 Inch Cut. I purchased it April 30, 2016. I used the mower 3 times. I went to start it the fourth time and it would not start. I bought a new spark plug and it still would not start. I contacted Walmart in Joplin, MO where I purchased the mower on 10/03/16. They informed me they have a 90 day return policy and could not help me. The mower is warrantied by Murray and they don't answer the phone. Walmart has since assigned it a ticket number and were supposed to contact me from the home office in three days, but have not contacted me after five days.

Bought this mower in April at Walmart. First 3 mows it started to fall apart, took it back to Walmart and they told me they only had a thirty days return policy and told me to take it to mower shop it has a warranty and would be fixed. The mower shop told me it was not worth fixing. Tried calling Murray and they won't even answer any calls. What is with this company?

I used it 4-5 times & it wouldn't start. I left 2 voice mails & sent 2 e-mails: no response. That's what's called not only a horrible product but horrible customer service. If I could, I'd leave 0 stars.

I bought a brand new Murray straight shaft string trimmer staying away from the curved shaft trimmers because I've been told they were not going to last very long only to find I would get 3 uses out of this one. Now it looks like the replacement parts to fix the shaft gears are only @ $24 shy of just going out and buying a brand new trimmer altogether. I've wrote to the manufacturer and have had no luck on even a reply.

Bought a 22" Murray Lawn mower from Wal-Mart for $169 in 2015 to replace a $129 20" Yard Machine that lasted 11 seasons (believe it or not). The Murray was difficult to start and when it finally did, there was so much vibration that the cheap, plastic, snap-on air filter cover popped off and, of course, got ran over. I was sure there had to be a reasonable explanation for the vibration and there was - two of the bolts that mount the engine to the deck were loose and one bolt was completely missing. As I was leaving for vacation, it was some time before I attempted to take it back but was told I needed to contact Murray for assistance. Due to the fact that I "worked" on the mower (tightening and supplying the missing bolt) the warranty was void. Do yourself a favor and stay away from Murray products. The only thing they seem to "cut" with any reliability is a hole in your wallet.

I have owned the same 6.5 horsepower Murray (non-self-propelled) push mower for 8 years now and it is indestructible! No maintenance or dry no storage required! I didn't even buy it. I found it in the trash, discarded because it was out of gas. I have used it to mow my .75 acre yard for 8 years now. In that time it has never once taken more than two pulls to start and I leave it outside and uncovered in the back corner of my yard. It has spent 8 hard Ohio winters outside. Snowed on, rained on, frozen, and sunbaked but still starts in one pull most times, even with the same gas left in it over the winter.

I'm basically the worst mower owner you could think of. It has the same oil it came with and on several occasions it has fully mulched a brick. Things that would kill an ordinary mower have nothing on Murray. If you want a mower but don't want to do any maintenance, want to leave your machine uncovered year round outside, and still have a beast that fires right up then you need to buy a Murray. I'm so surprised it still runs. I felt the need to go out of my way to write this review, and I'm pretty lazy.

Bought a lawn mower and couldn't get it started at all. We returned it and got a new one started immediately. Used it 3 times no problem and now it won't start. Both appear to have issues feeding the fuel to the mower. Do not buy any Murray lawn mowers. I am now out $200 for 3 mows for the season.

Got a 99 widebody new. Ran great, few problems. But what do you expect? Nothing big. It was a good old dog. Rear end just went out on the old dog 99. 17hp twin 42in cut. I used it for a lot of things -- some things I shouldn't. Was a good mower. Just got a 2016 18.5hp 42in riding mower. Babied it and the rear end is plastic. Gone through 2 rear ends. I never had to worry about any of the Murray's I had until now. I call the number for Murray and get snapper. There is a number under the hood that says Husqvarna and get Poulan.

Won't start. To start remove bubble and filter. Prime. Start. Then bounce it around a lot.

We bought a Murray 22 at Walmart Summer 2015. Ran maybe 4 times. Drained gas, stored it over a very short winter. It would barely stop and die. It would sputter and die, then would not start at all. Took it to be repaired and we're told it would cost more to repair than to get a new one. We read reviews now.

I purchased a Murray Ohio push mower from Wal-Mart last year. The mower was kept and stored in proper conditions until time to mow the lawn. After using the lawn mower only about four times the lawn mower wouldn't start. I took it to a repair shop and the mechanic told me it wasn't worth being repairs and that he had several of the same lawn mower in his shop with the same problem. I don't like being ripped off by anybody especially a huge company that advertises its product as being reliable! I WILL NEVER PURCHASE A PRODUCT FROM MURRAY OHIO EVER AGAIN!!! This lawn mower is a piece of JUNK!

I bought a Murray 22" lawn mower at Walmart (with tax included, it was 171.43) on 6-5-2015. I only use it a few times and got it out to use today on 4-17-2016 and it wouldn't start. I took it to the lawn mower shop and he said it was the carburetor and that I should have did a review on it before I purchase it. He said that is one of the worst lawn mower a person can buy and it is a piece of ** and that they know it is and will give me a refund. I told him it would be a year that I had it in 2 months and he said "take it back". I went with my receipt and was told that my 90 days was up and there isn't anything that can be done. Oh well my loss. Wish I had did a review on it. Could have saved me some money.

My husband and I purchased a lawn mower last spring. Today we tried to use it for the first time this season. It immediately started making a rumbling noise. 5 minutes into cutting the grass, the dry shaft falls out! No way to repair it, it's all busted up! NEVER purchase a Murray!!!

Murray Lawn mowers? For the most part are great mowers BUT. People fail to put a fuel filter in line. Manufacturers as well. $4.00 would end ½ the starting problems. Because all it takes is one grain of sand in the main jet or the bolt that holds the float bowl on WILL prevent it from running 95% of the time. The other is water in the gas/primer bulb or gasket goes bad! If you have to pump it 15-20 times to get it to start then that’s your problem! And if you don’t like the price of air filters... put a dryer sheet over it. That filter will last five times longer. I love it when people put them to the road. $15.00 and good to go. OIL leaks - Never tip them from side to side Or you will see oil leaks from the carburetor or the exhaust.

We bought a Murray lawn mower from Walmart in April 2015. By August 2015, it was making noises. Took it the service provider by Murray, they look at the unit. Determine it was not worth fixing. Called Murray back, let them know that I had a receipt from my service, asking if I could send a fax from the service center for my money, they refused to help. DO NOT WASTE YOUR HARD EARN MONEY ON ANY MURRAY equipment. They do not stand by their equipment, all they do is get you the runaround.

I bought a Murray 22" push lawn mower on April 30, 2015 and today (September 5, 2015) the engine went up in smoke and burned out. It is under warranty for 2 years, but Walmart would not assist me with finding out how to get the engine replaced. This is poor customer service and an even poorer product.

I bought this mower from Walmart in March 2015. I've mowed my lawn a few times with it. Tried to mow this time and wouldn't start. Checked the gas and it was full. I went to check the spark plug and ALL of the oil had leaked out on to the front of the mower. I took everything apart and cleaned everything. Put it back together and put oil in it and still no go. The most worthless piece if crap lawn mower I've ever purchased. And you can't get ahold of customer service to save your life. Buyer Beware!! Spend the extra money if you can to get a better one. From March to Sept. shouldn't have this much of a problem.

The first time I pulled the rope it started right up. Now it won't start again no matter what I do. I checked the troubleshooting guide, still nothing.

We bought a Murray lawn mower from Walmart in May 2015. Today which is August 13, 2015, the lawn mower caught on fire and burned to a crisp, burned my lawn, and burned my husband's leg. Not a happy camper.

My brother bought my parents a Murray riding mower without checking the consumer reports on the product. I was afraid to take it out of the crate after reading the reviews, but did so anyway. Didn't make it thru 1 summer. Worst mower I've ever used... BUYER BEWARE!

I wished I had known about the ConsumerAffairs website first before buying a $200 Murray 21" push mower from Wal-Mart. Bought it on 6/2/2015 and as of today, 7/18/2015, it no longer works. Of course, it is past the 30 return limit for mowers.

I bought a brand new mower from Walmart. It is the biggest problem I have ever had with a mower. Used it one time. Had it worked on and again. Tried to use it and they tell me to take it to Scranton and have them work on it. This is crazy... a waste of $217. Never again. Bad experience with the Murray Company.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Murray, founded 90 years ago, creates garden tools and equipment with a focus on affordable pricing and efficient operation.

• Residential focus: Murray focuses on the needs of homeowners and the features they prefer the most.
  • Anti-vibration system: An anti-vibration system cuts down on shaking and rattling during mowing.
  • Versatile tires: The tires have excellent traction on any terrain type.
  • Push button start: An easy start option creates a reliable riding mower.
  • Comfort features: Many comfortable features, such as a high-quality seat, make mowing the lawn pleasurable.
  • Best for Murray riding mowers provide residential homeowners with mid-range, high-quality options.

Compare Riding Mower