Murray Lawn Mowers

Quit paying for costly home repairs

Murray Lawn Mowers

Quit paying for costly home repairs

203 Murray Lawn Mowers Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

I bought a Murray 21" push lawn mower from Walmart on May 6, 2019. Used it 3 times and went to use for the fourth time and it will not start. When you pull, it sounds like something is grinding in the motor. We spent $184 with tax and only got 3 uses out of it. Emailed Murray and they want to say issues with fuel and it's not covered under warranty. Fuel issues wouldn't be causing the motor to grind when pulling to start. Such a waste of money!!!

Original review: April 11, 2019

I bought my latest one (and it was used) about 10 years ago and it's still running fine. Other than changing the main belt a couple times and a battery or two over the years, it's a good little tractor. The one I had before I owned for about 13 years and it worked fine too and I was mowing 2.5 acres every week or so. This newer one (2005 model) has the Briggs motor and that's a plus. They're smaller and lighter weight than the big name brands, but I also take care of what I own.

Get expert buying tips about Riding Mower delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

Yet another engineering piece of **. Expertly engineered primer button to ensure that it will NOT work 95+ percent of the time. One must remove the air cleaner to spray starting fluid to get it started. Mind blowing stupidity on the part of modern day companies.

Original review: July 27, 2018

I’ve had this mower for over 14 years in Florida where you mow all year around and twice a week in the summer. It has been flawless besides normal maintenance.

Original review: July 13, 2018

The Murray mowers were sold by Walmart. They were cheap, relatively easy to maintain and durable. Mine is about 15 years old. It has been to see the walrus.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Murray?

Original review: June 12, 2018

This lawn mower is totally unsafe and should be recalled. The gas cap will not stay on the gas tank and when it comes off gas splashes out on the hot mower. I have run over (3) three gas caps since I've had it and had to replace them so I could use the mower. The gas cap setup needs to be redesigned to a screw - on gas cap, not a twist and lock, which it doesn't do.

Original review: May 3, 2018

I bought one of these Push Mowers (21in 500 E Series) on May 1, 2018 from Klamath Falls, Oregon's Walmart, returned it this evening on May 2, 2018 ran about five minutes today. It was hard to start because it was like the engine or blades were too tight to pull the pull start, when it finally started it ran about five minutes and then completely froze up, where the pull start was stuck and would NOT budge, no give and lawnmower was stalled. I was lucky that I got a full refund but only because I threatened to call Walmart headquarter or most likely I would have had a $174 lawn ornament instead of a lawnmower.

I would not recommend their lawnmowers. Also, it smelled like it had had gas in the tank recently, before I put gas in the tank, so may have been a reboxed resealed one, not sure. Here is the codes from the box it was in, maybe someone else had it before and they may be reading this. These were all the number codes on the box Model Number/Manufactures ID Number: 961140037 00. Brand Murray Serial No. 012218M047528. Customer Catalog No. MP 21500HW UPC Number 0 85388 23583 1. I hope this prevents someone from going through the refund fun, just don't buy one because you will have to return it, unless you want a lawn ornament.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I bought one of these (Murray 21in push mower) last spring. I had to return it because it would not start. They gave me another one. I used it for a couple more times. I have a small enclosed area where I keep my dogs. I called them because this one will not start. They're telling me that it's a carburetor issue. There was no gas left in it and they want me to haul it around to again to an authorized dealer. What? You didn't even answer the phone and I'm not quite sure if they exist. The people are extremely rude when you call. Not very helpful and obviously there's an issue if you have two more hours. I have done the same thing. He told me it was the carburetor or either he has x-ray vision or knows there's an issue with the mower. Funny I didn't have any problems starting my John Deere this year. Buyer beware. Do not buy this product. It is junk and they do not stand behind it and they are rude.

Original review: April 4, 2018

My husband bought a Murray lawn mower from Walmart about 4 yrs ago. He mowed with it twice, and we do not have a large yard. Third time it refused to even start. After talking to the lady in that dept. she told me this was happening to most of the ones by Murray, and to take it to a local place who would repair it & they'd pick up the tab. As they should've. It ran a few more times, another trip to repair. After that, what was the use? Got another brand at another dealer. Never again!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

Murray lawn mower bought at Walmart in Yukon, OK - Walmart dont stick by their products. Had to call Murray. They passed the buck to Briggs & Straton. The people there only said sorry. Gave some phone # to call service people in OKC. And they wanted as much to inspect than the mower cost. The parts are all plastic trying to cut cost so they can make more money to rip the public. USA made. They are not all bad. Being a veteran money is tight and wanted a new mower that would last. It’s all about the money. Been using Briggs all my life. They just dont care. Just get worse. Pure junk and some service people wont even work on them USA made by Briggs. Save your money. Dont buy because you will cry.

Murray expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Murray, founded 90 years ago, creates garden tools and equipment with a focus on affordable pricing and efficient operation.

• Residential focus: Murray focuses on the needs of homeowners and the features they prefer the most.

• Anti-vibration system: An anti-vibration system cuts down on shaking and rattling during mowing.

• Versatile tires: The tires have excellent traction on any terrain type.

• Push button start: An easy start option creates a reliable riding mower.

• Comfort features: Many comfortable features, such as a high-quality seat, make mowing the lawn pleasurable.

• Best for: Murray riding mowers provide residential homeowners with mid-range, high-quality options.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs