1.69/5

202 Murray Lawn Mowers Consumer Reviews

Original review: Oct. 13, 2015

We bought a Murray lawn mower from Walmart in April 2015. By August 2015, it was making noises. Took it the service provider by Murray, they look at the unit. Determine it was not worth fixing. Called Murray back, let them know that I had a receipt from my service, asking if I could send a fax from the service center for my money, they refused to help. DO NOT WASTE YOUR HARD EARN MONEY ON ANY MURRAY equipment. They do not stand by their equipment, all they do is get you the runaround.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2015

I bought a Murray 22" push lawn mower on April 30, 2015 and today (September 5, 2015) the engine went up in smoke and burned out. It is under warranty for 2 years, but Walmart would not assist me with finding out how to get the engine replaced. This is poor customer service and an even poorer product.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2015

I bought this mower from Walmart in March 2015. I've mowed my lawn a few times with it. Tried to mow this time and wouldn't start. Checked the gas and it was full. I went to check the spark plug and ALL of the oil had leaked out on to the front of the mower. I took everything apart and cleaned everything. Put it back together and put oil in it and still no go. The most worthless piece if crap lawn mower I've ever purchased. And you can't get ahold of customer service to save your life. Buyer Beware!! Spend the extra money if you can to get a better one. From March to Sept. shouldn't have this much of a problem.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2015

The first time I pulled the rope it started right up. Now it won't start again no matter what I do. I checked the troubleshooting guide, still nothing.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2015

We bought a Murray lawn mower from Walmart in May 2015. Today which is August 13, 2015, the lawn mower caught on fire and burned to a crisp, burned my lawn, and burned my husband's leg. Not a happy camper.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Murray?

Original review: Aug. 1, 2015

My brother bought my parents a Murray riding mower without checking the consumer reports on the product. I was afraid to take it out of the crate after reading the reviews, but did so anyway. Didn't make it thru 1 summer. Worst mower I've ever used... BUYER BEWARE!

Original review: July 18, 2015

I wished I had known about the ConsumerAffairs website first before buying a $200 Murray 21" push mower from Wal-Mart. Bought it on 6/2/2015 and as of today, 7/18/2015, it no longer works. Of course, it is past the 30 return limit for mowers.

Original review: July 10, 2015

I bought a brand new mower from Walmart. It is the biggest problem I have ever had with a mower. Used it one time. Had it worked on and again. Tried to use it and they tell me to take it to Scranton and have them work on it. This is crazy... a waste of $217. Never again. Bad experience with the Murray Company.

Original review: July 9, 2015

I brought Murray Lawn Mower. Only used twice, so I call service center which they took about 3 weeks to call me. They tell me to service center for repair. So they say I had old gas in mower. Dump gas, clean carb. So which the carb all plastic except rod and needle there is long oval inlet tube which one silver other is BASS. Yes which is green BASS is yellow. Now call them. The COMPANY BRIGGS AND STRATTON the new owners of Murray products. I TRIED TO CALL BACK TO TELL THEM ABOUT IT. I GET VERY VERY RUDE REP. WHAT JOKE THAT COMPANY!!! (BEWARE ALL MURRAY PRODUCTS).

Original review: July 7, 2015

A friend bought this riding mower for my birthday & every time I engage the blades it vibrates! I thought a blade was uneven so put new ones on it, still vibrating. I found out when I registered it online for warranty that Murray went out of business in 2005 & was bought out by Briggs & Stratton. They allow MTD to use the Murray name. The local repair shop told me that MTD is all junk! The customer support at MTD is rude if you can get them at all, they seem to have the idea that "you bought it, don't bother us with the details"!

Original review: July 6, 2015

I bought a 20" cheap Murray about 5 yrs ago and it worked fine, still does. I figured I'd try the 22" high rear wheel to use at my second home and I've never been more disappointed in my life. This thing is the weakest wimpiest piece of trash I've ever attempted to mow grass with. It chokes out on the slightest amount of grass. To make any progress you have to push forward 3 feet at a time and wait like 15 seconds for it to ramp back up after choking on anything more than 3 blades of grass. I can literally mow the yard faster with a pair of scissors. Complete waste of $200. If you want a mower that isn't afraid of grass buy something else.

Original review: July 1, 2015

Murray 22" Push Mower - I bought one of these lemons from Walmart and used it TWO times. When I tried to use it again it wouldn't start. I emailed the Murray and it got no response. I emailed again 2 months later. I finally got a response illustrating how to clean out the carburetor. I didn't buy new to do anything close to that!!! I eventually did take everything apart. It still wouldn't start. No more with this POS. I probably couldn't even sell the carcass for scrap. I don't know what's worse, Murray's products or their customer service?

Original review: June 29, 2015

I wish I read all these articles first. Throw another on the pile. I purchased a Murray 20" push mower from Walmart. In three weeks we cut the grass twice - a combined total of less than 1/2 an acre of cutting. Week 3 we go to cut again... the mower will not start no matter what I try. IN-SANE! Cleaning it up and taking it back to Walmart tonight.

Original review: June 23, 2015

I used this lawn mower (M2300) one season, put it away. Drain gas the whole bit. As you guessed, it starts but dies after three minutes. I wanted a small mower for a very small area. Don't buy Murray products, burn me once you never get a second chance.

Original review: June 22, 2015

I had bought a Murray from Walmart. I already had to take it back because after mowing twice it wouldn't run. The new one I have had a month and half but only cut with it 3 times due to rainy weather, & now won't start. Ever since I was a kid my family & me have owned Murrays with no complaint, but I think y'all have made your new product on the cheap side. I need reliability!

Original review: June 12, 2015

Murray 22" High Wheel Push Mower - Ordered online from Walmart in January 2015. Didn't use it until June when grass started growing (been very dry this summer) so it's past the 90-day Walmart warranty. Worked fine first two times I used it, now it won't start. Went online and found numerous links on how to fix the problem - none of which work - mower still won't start. Murray has a contact through email but they don't respond promptly and from previous complaints I read on this forum I shouldn't expect a reply at all. Gonna file a complaint with BBB but doubt that will help as this company doesn't seem to care anymore. Such a shame, it used to be a reliable product.

Original review: June 10, 2015

Severely injured my left hand putting air in the tire when the plastic rim blew apart; had to call rescue squad to take me to the hospital to be treated. X-ray showed that my pinkie finger was broken and hand was lacerated pretty bad. Took 14 stitches to close wounds. Have pictures of hand showing stitches..

Original review: June 1, 2015

Murray 42" 15.5 HP Riding Mower - This is the worst product I have ever purchased from Wal-Mart. I will never recommend this to anyone! First, the delivery service was not good. The mower came in a crate and we had to assemble it, along with the steering wheel and the seat. Then I used the mower twice since it was delivered. The first time I used it, I turned it off to get off and close my gate and when I went to turn it on, the mower never turned on. We had to push the damn thing into my garage. The second time, after 30 minutes into mowing, I had to get off from the mower to move something and when I went to turn it on, the mower didn't turn on. I waited 15 minutes and then it turned on. When I was finished mowing grass, I got off to close the gate and the mower didn't turn on. Again we had to push it into the garage and the mower never turned on ever again.

I took the battery to a local store to have it checked and the battery was fine. The machine had gas and oil, so there must've been a problem with the starter. I purchased the warranty with Wal-Mart for the mower, but I decided not to call and return the machine and the warranty for a full refund. If this machine was "brand new" and it was giving me so many problems, I can only imagine what I would continue to endure down the road. It was not worth the time or effort. This is the worst mower and I will never recommend it to anyone.

Original review: May 31, 2015

Bought a used rider off Craigslist. Never owned a Murray before. This thing is awesome. Only a 40" cut, but oh well, does an excellent job. Has a Briggs and Stratton engine. Best $400 spent this year. Bought some new blades for it today and now it really cuts beautifully lol. I would buy another. I'm through with Craftsman! They don't stand behind their warranty.

Original review: May 24, 2015

Whenever I tried to find a dealer location, I was asked for a model number. Why would a model number be required for a dealer request. The model numbers for their equipment is readily available on their site. After reading the comments from Murray buyers, it's just as well I stay away from Murray.

Original review: May 12, 2015

I recently bought a 22" cut Murray at our local Wal-Mart. Used it 1 time. TRIED to use it again a few days later and it wouldn't start. Took it back to Wal-Mart and they exchanged it for another mower the same model. Took it home used it 1 time, TRIED to use it today and the same thing!!! Won't start. Not going to return it. IT AIN'T WORTH THE HEADACHE DEALING WITH WAL-MART AGAIN!!! Nor is the cheap piece of crap mower I bought worth the money I paid for it. Going to write this off as "LESSON LEARNED". That being - Don't deal with Wal-Mart and more importantly, DON'T WASTE MY MONEY BUYING MURRAY CRAP.

Original review: May 4, 2015

Me and my mother purchased Murray Lawn Mowers two summers ago. I also purchased a weed eater that was Murray. To make a long story short none of the 3 are working this summer. I have tried new gas, changed spark plugs, cleaned air filter and all I do is continue to pull the string and nothing happens. Never in this life time or the next will I purchase anything that says Murray. I may not even purchase a product that starts with an "M"..... Terrible!!!!

Original review: April 29, 2015

Purchased a Murray 6hp push mower from Home Depot in June of 2014. Cut the grass once and then it would start the next week. Discovered fuel was pouring out from the side of Carb indicating it had a busted diaphragm. I borrowed a mower to cut the grass for the rest of the summer. In Dec of 2014 I ordered and replace the carb. This past week, I filled the fuel tank with new non ethanol and it started right up and began to cut the grass. I shut it off to take a break and once again, it would not run. I can get it to start, but after 30 seconds it shuts off. I can let it set for 10 minutes and it will start right up again and run for 30 seconds and shut off again. Anyone have an answer to this problem. I had to trash a new mower, but I'm tired of fighting this thing.

Original review: April 22, 2015

I bought a push Murray lawn mower, the first one I bought I could not get it to start. Took it back and got another one. Used it 3 times and it started to sound like a jet plane. Took it back and got my money back. I hope I never buy another Murray push lawnmower, the worst one on the market.

Original review: April 17, 2015

They do not respond to emails. I have sent at least 3 - no response. Also when trying to locate dealer all are foreign countries, nothing in USA.

Original review: April 10, 2015

Purchased 1st Murray push mower a year ago - motor locked—no warranty honored and all service reps. in my area - Englewood, Fl. said hourly high rate to inspect--if fixed. And without checking it - said “junk it” - motor but they wanted me to leave it with them! $$$ - Said “gas/Ethanol--not covered by warranty” -- same line of bs everywhere! Needed a mower right away--Walmart close—sunk another $172.00 plus into same high wheel push mower - motor is vibrating on high to the point of gas cap flies off! Like a jet engine—unsafe! No help anywhere! Murray notified-email as 1 hour & more wait on telephone---no reply! Email - no reply and same no reply from Briggs & Stratton!! Same service situation---big scam to make more money!

I am on social security, over 65 and $730.00 total income! I spent over $300.00 on two mowers and have nothing to mow with! Class action needs brought against both companies! Anyone interested? Enough is enough! Walmart will take back for 30 days -- all this of course happens after bring-back--period--then a run around after that!

Original review: March 26, 2015

Bought a Murray mower from Walmart mid season 2013. Mower deck started to rust from the bottom by end of season, started using it in 2014 and pine cones and sticks started knocking holes in the rusting deck. Patched the holes with sheet metal and rivets so I could finish the 2014 mowing season. I blamed myself for not cleaning underneath, even though I did nothing different than I have in the last 40 yrs with my mowers and never had this issue.

So I bought another exact same deck and wheel model, but a different engine on this year’s model. Turns out it was not my fault. Mowed the grass on a Tuesday, decided to wash underneath the following Saturday with the garden hose, and 30-40% of the paint came off exposing bare metal. No evidence of primer, just one thin coat of red. This is bad, and should maybe be worthy of a class action suit if others can organize.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2015

I've had nothing but trouble with this mower since I bought it in March 2014. The mower keeps eating/destroying blade drive belts. The mower is currently in the shop for the 2nd time getting the same thing fixed and I'm not looking forward to getting it back. The first time the shop had the mower, it took about 1 1/2 months to get it back, because Murray/MTD was working on redesigning one of the parts and the shop also found that some of the deck parts were installed backwards. I got the mower back, and the first time I tried to use it, the blade belt still kept coming off -- 4 times in 2 1/2 hours of mowing. The mower is still in the shop getting fixed again and I should have it back next week -- OH YEAH :-(

Keep away from any mower made by MTD!!! -- unless you have the patience to have it in the shop more than in your garage. One good thing about the mower is that you don't need much room to store it, because most of the time it doesn't have to be store at your house because it's in the shop being fixed more than in your garage.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2014

Got an old Murray push mower from my dad 15 years ago and he owned it for 10+ years before that and still running strong today. So I thought it was a good brand so bought a Murray snow blower and found out they don't build 'em like they use to. Spend more time trying to get it going than it takes to clear my 60 yard long drive way. Replaced carb twice in 3yrs and goes through beatings and belts like crazy. Will never waste my money and time on Murray, mtd, or all the cheap box store crap again. Pay a little more for john Deere or simplicity and save yourself the hassle.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2014

Murray Select 405000x8E riding mower, it stalls randomly while cutting on flat lawn. Very annoying especially if you don't have all day to cut .5 acre lawn! I checked everything from wires to plugs and everything looks fine. I cleaned the carb and plug and filter and still dies randomly on me. One day it will run fine and one it will just be a major PITA. I can't find anything on Google or Bing about this issue and it kind of sucks since it’s not an unpopular model. Just terrible.

Murray Lawn Mowers Company Information