Murray Lawn Mowers

Quit paying for costly home repairs

Murray Lawn Mowers

Quit paying for costly home repairs

203 Murray Lawn Mowers Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 19, 2017

I purchased this mower a few month ago and it is nothing but trouble. I've had 2 gas caps vibrate right off and ran them over, chopping them in pieces. My cover for the air filter vibrates off every time I mow, and when pulling the mower backwards, it completely chopped up the blk plastic guard that is supposed to be there for safety. By the way, it should never even touch the blade. This mower stalls constantly, and have trouble starting it almost every time. I'm VERY UNHAPPY with this mower, and it's frustrating just to go out and mow. NEVER again will I buy any Murray or Briggs & Stratton product. By the way, My dad has the same mower and he also has the exact same problems I have. I live in Ohio, He is in NY. What does one have to do to get these problems resolved? I can only imagine that there is many many more people with these issues.

Original review: July 18, 2017

Murray Riding mower - My boyfriend bought this mower at Walmart in Mayfield, KY. About 34 days later, the transmission locked up. I called Walmart & we had to transport it back to KY Walmart so they could see it. They gave us another new one to replace it. This morning I was finishing the mowing from yesterday & the darn transmission locked up AGAIN!!! Is this a common problem or just our bad luck? Mower now sitting on the edge of our driveway and will not move!!!

Original review: May 29, 2017

Ok people hope this helps. Good mower with design flaw, so after I purchased mower had same problem. Damn thing just wouldn't start. So I read reviews and asked myself why would so many people have same problem. So I inspected whole of mower and found everything in proper working order. Then I went deeper and found a serious design flaw after I drained gas. I open the gas cap and found a problem. Now this runs on 2 cycle and that means oil with gas, where gas goes to engine under gas cap directly on bottom. The small screen will get soot and oil when sits for even a short while. So get pipe cleaner and stick it inside gas tank and scrub off soot and mineral build up. Poor or no gas flow to engine, well take it from there.

Hope it helps the frustrated like me that gets poor customer service when trying to warranty or return. Runs like a champ and yes poor gas flow will make it struggle, shut off and jump around. Hope someone finds this insightful.

Original review: May 28, 2017

Bought a Murray 21 inch cut/Briggs and Stratton 450e, from Walmart on 5/27/17. The next day it started right up on first pull. Was cutting grass, stopped to take a rest after 20 minutes of cutting, went back out to start cutting again and the thing won't start, I must have tried to start it more than 20 time and my 16 yr. old son tried about as many times as I did. I grew up watching my father run lawn mowers with B and S engines and was always impressed, not so much now. It's going back in the box and back to Walmart tomorrow.

Original review: May 21, 2017

My husband bought a Murray seat motor riding lawn mower, if that's what you call it. So we divorced and he left me the lawn mower. It never cranks or runs. After reading these reviews I know now not just me. Out of the past 10 years I've probably got to mow my grass 5 times. Always new battery seems to help. Change out solenoid every year. Hate this mower. I like the style of mower but don't help when it doesn't run.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Murray?

Original review: Feb. 21, 2017

I purchased new 4.1.2016. Wasn't long engine didn't sound right. Carburetor was messed up. Not covered under warranty. My husband sick and took few weeks to get a 2nd opinion that it wasn't just me. Put carburetor on it. Belt kept coming off, was told wrong belt on it. Wouldn't go into transport hardly at all. It would take up to 25 attempts to move it.

Finally would and then if you could get it running mow then 25 more attempts to get it back into shed. Call for help, take it authorized dealer to get looked at and they will tell you if it's covered. I have to pay transportation fees to get it to them or they pick it up. You have to deal with 4 to 5 different companies to find out information. When the tech Not authorized, was putting carburetor on it, he had to take that piece of black plastic off and what I saw was a shock!. The flywheel looked like it was 20 years old, it was so rusted!

When calling Murray/Briggs & Stratton, gave them the serial # and was told it was a 2005 Body... I had just purchased it 95 days or so ago! They would not do anything, Wal-Mart wouldn't do anything (over 90 days), Husqvarna would not do anything (they make the body),... etc nobody would do anything. I told them all the transport doesn't work. They say "take it to a authorized dealer. And during all this, my husband passed away and didn't have time or energy to mess with it. Briggs & Stratton did finally reimbursed me for having the carburetor put on it as a one-time courtesy.

I called this morning to finally get the transport fixed. They told me they did not work on the Murray's. They did when calling them last September. Got the name of another dealer, he said it's most likely not covered, will make some calls and get back to me. I just want the people thinking about purchasing a Murray so BEWARE! I'm out of a lot of money! (at least to me $1,200 is a lot of money when you don't have a lot!) I am attaching copy of the receipt where I purchased it and the photos of the rusted parts. This is honestly the truth! Its sounds made up but it is the truth. I put 1 star because it would not let me leave it blank. I had to do it!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2017

I bought this Murray 20" push mower from Walmart and I only got 5 mows out of it. After that it never started again. I drained all fuel, cleaned carburetor, replaced filter and spark plug and it still didn't start. It has the Briggs and Stratton engine and this mower is JUNK! Well I tried to contact Murray to send it back in to fix. I got no answer or callbacks. I took it to the local mom and pop repair shop and they told me it would cost more to fix than its worth. Wow. They also told me they don't sell Murray's. Go figure. Lesson learned. Save your money and buy a quality brand like Toro or Honda. If they ever break you will still be ahead.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2016

I purchased a Murray Push Mower 20 Inch Cut. I purchased it April 30, 2016. I used the mower 3 times. I went to start it the fourth time and it would not start. I bought a new spark plug and it still would not start. I contacted Walmart in Joplin, MO where I purchased the mower on 10/03/16. They informed me they have a 90 day return policy and could not help me. The mower is warrantied by Murray and they don't answer the phone. Walmart has since assigned it a ticket number and were supposed to contact me from the home office in three days, but have not contacted me after five days.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2016

Bought this mower in April at Walmart. First 3 mows it started to fall apart, took it back to Walmart and they told me they only had a thirty days return policy and told me to take it to mower shop it has a warranty and would be fixed. The mower shop told me it was not worth fixing. Tried calling Murray and they won't even answer any calls. What is with this company?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2016

I used it 4-5 times & it wouldn't start. I left 2 voice mails & sent 2 e-mails: no response. That's what's called not only a horrible product but horrible customer service. If I could, I'd leave 0 stars.

Murray Lawn Mowers Company Information