Murray Lawn Mowers

Murray Lawn Mowers Reviews

Stars Rating

• 100%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Murray?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Murray?

Reviewed May 27, 2016

I purchased a Murray Ohio push mower from Wal-Mart last year. The mower was kept and stored in proper conditions until time to mow the lawn. After using the lawn mower only about four times the lawn mower wouldn't start. I took it to a repair shop and the mechanic told me it wasn't worth being repairs and that he had several of the same lawn mower in his shop with the same problem. I don't like being ripped off by anybody especially a huge company that advertises its product as being reliable! I WILL NEVER PURCHASE A PRODUCT FROM MURRAY OHIO EVER AGAIN!!! This lawn mower is a piece of JUNK!

Staff

Reviewed April 17, 2016

I bought a Murray 22" lawn mower at Walmart (with tax included, it was 171.43) on 6-5-2015. I only use it a few times and got it out to use today on 4-17-2016 and it wouldn't start. I took it to the lawn mower shop and he said it was the carburetor and that I should have did a review on it before I purchase it. He said that is one of the worst lawn mower a person can buy and it is a piece of ** and that they know it is and will give me a refund. I told him it would be a year that I had it in 2 months and he said "take it back". I went with my receipt and was told that my 90 days was up and there isn't anything that can be done. Oh well my loss. Wish I had did a review on it. Could have saved me some money.

Reviewed April 4, 2016

My husband and I purchased a lawn mower last spring. Today we tried to use it for the first time this season. It immediately started making a rumbling noise. 5 minutes into cutting the grass, the dry shaft falls out! No way to repair it, it's all busted up! NEVER purchase a Murray!!!

Staff

Reviewed Oct. 14, 2015

Murray Lawn mowers? For the most part are great mowers BUT. People fail to put a fuel filter in line. Manufacturers as well. $4.00 would end ½ the starting problems. Because all it takes is one grain of sand in the main jet or the bolt that holds the float bowl on WILL prevent it from running 95% of the time. The other is water in the gas/primer bulb or gasket goes bad! If you have to pump it 15-20 times to get it to start then that’s your problem! And if you don’t like the price of air filters... put a dryer sheet over it. That filter will last five times longer. I love it when people put them to the road. $15.00 and good to go. OIL leaks - Never tip them from side to side Or you will see oil leaks from the carburetor or the exhaust.

Reviewed Oct. 13, 2015

We bought a Murray lawn mower from Walmart in April 2015. By August 2015, it was making noises. Took it the service provider by Murray, they look at the unit. Determine it was not worth fixing. Called Murray back, let them know that I had a receipt from my service, asking if I could send a fax from the service center for my money, they refused to help. DO NOT WASTE YOUR HARD EARN MONEY ON ANY MURRAY equipment. They do not stand by their equipment, all they do is get you the runaround.

Reviewed Sept. 5, 2015

I bought a Murray 22" push lawn mower on April 30, 2015 and today (September 5, 2015) the engine went up in smoke and burned out. It is under warranty for 2 years, but Walmart would not assist me with finding out how to get the engine replaced. This is poor customer service and an even poorer product.

Profile pic of the author.

Reviewed Sept. 4, 2015

I bought this mower from Walmart in March 2015. I've mowed my lawn a few times with it. Tried to mow this time and wouldn't start. Checked the gas and it was full. I went to check the spark plug and ALL of the oil had leaked out on to the front of the mower. I took everything apart and cleaned everything. Put it back together and put oil in it and still no go. The most worthless piece if crap lawn mower I've ever purchased. And you can't get ahold of customer service to save your life. Buyer Beware!! Spend the extra money if you can to get a better one. From March to Sept. shouldn't have this much of a problem.

Reliability

Reviewed Aug. 31, 2015

The first time I pulled the rope it started right up. Now it won't start again no matter what I do. I checked the troubleshooting guide, still nothing.

Reviewed Aug. 13, 2015

We bought a Murray lawn mower from Walmart in May 2015. Today which is August 13, 2015, the lawn mower caught on fire and burned to a crisp, burned my lawn, and burned my husband's leg. Not a happy camper.

Reviewed Aug. 1, 2015

My brother bought my parents a Murray riding mower without checking the consumer reports on the product. I was afraid to take it out of the crate after reading the reviews, but did so anyway. Didn't make it thru 1 summer. Worst mower I've ever used... BUYER BEWARE!

Reviewed July 18, 2015

I wished I had known about the ConsumerAffairs website first before buying a $200 Murray 21" push mower from Wal-Mart. Bought it on 6/2/2015 and as of today, 7/18/2015, it no longer works. Of course, it is past the 30 return limit for mowers.

Reviewed July 10, 2015

I bought a brand new mower from Walmart. It is the biggest problem I have ever had with a mower. Used it one time. Had it worked on and again. Tried to use it and they tell me to take it to Scranton and have them work on it. This is crazy... a waste of $217. Never again. Bad experience with the Murray Company.

Reviewed July 9, 2015

I brought Murray Lawn Mower. Only used twice, so I call service center which they took about 3 weeks to call me. They tell me to service center for repair. So they say I had old gas in mower. Dump gas, clean carb. So which the carb all plastic except rod and needle there is long oval inlet tube which one silver other is BASS. Yes which is green BASS is yellow. Now call them. The COMPANY BRIGGS AND STRATTON the new owners of Murray products. I TRIED TO CALL BACK TO TELL THEM ABOUT IT. I GET VERY VERY RUDE REP. WHAT JOKE THAT COMPANY!!! (BEWARE ALL MURRAY PRODUCTS).

Reviewed July 7, 2015

A friend bought this riding mower for my birthday & every time I engage the blades it vibrates! I thought a blade was uneven so put new ones on it, still vibrating. I found out when I registered it online for warranty that Murray went out of business in 2005 & was bought out by Briggs & Stratton. They allow MTD to use the Murray name. The local repair shop told me that MTD is all junk! The customer support at MTD is rude if you can get them at all, they seem to have the idea that "you bought it, don't bother us with the details"!

Reviewed July 6, 2015

I bought a 20" cheap Murray about 5 yrs ago and it worked fine, still does. I figured I'd try the 22" high rear wheel to use at my second home and I've never been more disappointed in my life. This thing is the weakest wimpiest piece of trash I've ever attempted to mow grass with. It chokes out on the slightest amount of grass. To make any progress you have to push forward 3 feet at a time and wait like 15 seconds for it to ramp back up after choking on anything more than 3 blades of grass. I can literally mow the yard faster with a pair of scissors. Complete waste of $200. If you want a mower that isn't afraid of grass buy something else.

Reviewed July 1, 2015

Murray 22" Push Mower - I bought one of these lemons from Walmart and used it TWO times. When I tried to use it again it wouldn't start. I emailed the Murray and it got no response. I emailed again 2 months later. I finally got a response illustrating how to clean out the carburetor. I didn't buy new to do anything close to that!!! I eventually did take everything apart. It still wouldn't start. No more with this POS. I probably couldn't even sell the carcass for scrap. I don't know what's worse, Murray's products or their customer service?

Reviewed June 29, 2015

I wish I read all these articles first. Throw another on the pile. I purchased a Murray 20" push mower from Walmart. In three weeks we cut the grass twice - a combined total of less than 1/2 an acre of cutting. Week 3 we go to cut again... the mower will not start no matter what I try. IN-SANE! Cleaning it up and taking it back to Walmart tonight.

Reviewed June 23, 2015

I used this lawn mower (M2300) one season, put it away. Drain gas the whole bit. As you guessed, it starts but dies after three minutes. I wanted a small mower for a very small area. Don't buy Murray products, burn me once you never get a second chance.

Reliability

Reviewed June 22, 2015

I had bought a Murray from Walmart. I already had to take it back because after mowing twice it wouldn't run. The new one I have had a month and half but only cut with it 3 times due to rainy weather, & now won't start. Ever since I was a kid my family & me have owned Murrays with no complaint, but I think y'all have made your new product on the cheap side. I need reliability!

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedReliability

Reviewed June 12, 2015

Murray 22" High Wheel Push Mower - Ordered online from Walmart in January 2015. Didn't use it until June when grass started growing (been very dry this summer) so it's past the 90-day Walmart warranty. Worked fine first two times I used it, now it won't start. Went online and found numerous links on how to fix the problem - none of which work - mower still won't start. Murray has a contact through email but they don't respond promptly and from previous complaints I read on this forum I shouldn't expect a reply at all. Gonna file a complaint with BBB but doubt that will help as this company doesn't seem to care anymore. Such a shame, it used to be a reliable product.

Reviewed June 10, 2015

Severely injured my left hand putting air in the tire when the plastic rim blew apart; had to call rescue squad to take me to the hospital to be treated. X-ray showed that my pinkie finger was broken and hand was lacerated pretty bad. Took 14 stitches to close wounds. Have pictures of hand showing stitches..

Reviewed June 1, 2015

Murray 42" 15.5 HP Riding Mower - This is the worst product I have ever purchased from Wal-Mart. I will never recommend this to anyone! First, the delivery service was not good. The mower came in a crate and we had to assemble it, along with the steering wheel and the seat. Then I used the mower twice since it was delivered. The first time I used it, I turned it off to get off and close my gate and when I went to turn it on, the mower never turned on. We had to push the damn thing into my garage. The second time, after 30 minutes into mowing, I had to get off from the mower to move something and when I went to turn it on, the mower didn't turn on. I waited 15 minutes and then it turned on. When I was finished mowing grass, I got off to close the gate and the mower didn't turn on. Again we had to push it into the garage and the mower never turned on ever again.

I took the battery to a local store to have it checked and the battery was fine. The machine had gas and oil, so there must've been a problem with the starter. I purchased the warranty with Wal-Mart for the mower, but I decided not to call and return the machine and the warranty for a full refund. If this machine was "brand new" and it was giving me so many problems, I can only imagine what I would continue to endure down the road. It was not worth the time or effort. This is the worst mower and I will never recommend it to anyone.

Reviewed May 31, 2015

Bought a used rider off Craigslist. Never owned a Murray before. This thing is awesome. Only a 40" cut, but oh well, does an excellent job. Has a Briggs and Stratton engine. Best $400 spent this year. Bought some new blades for it today and now it really cuts beautifully lol. I would buy another. I'm through with Craftsman! They don't stand behind their warranty.

Reviewed May 24, 2015

Whenever I tried to find a dealer location, I was asked for a model number. Why would a model number be required for a dealer request. The model numbers for their equipment is readily available on their site. After reading the comments from Murray buyers, it's just as well I stay away from Murray.

Punctuality & Speed

Reviewed May 12, 2015

I recently bought a 22" cut Murray at our local Wal-Mart. Used it 1 time. TRIED to use it again a few days later and it wouldn't start. Took it back to Wal-Mart and they exchanged it for another mower the same model. Took it home used it 1 time, TRIED to use it today and the same thing!!! Won't start. Not going to return it. IT AIN'T WORTH THE HEADACHE DEALING WITH WAL-MART AGAIN!!! Nor is the cheap piece of crap mower I bought worth the money I paid for it. Going to write this off as "LESSON LEARNED". That being - Don't deal with Wal-Mart and more importantly, DON'T WASTE MY MONEY BUYING MURRAY CRAP.

Reviewed May 4, 2015

Me and my mother purchased Murray Lawn Mowers two summers ago. I also purchased a weed eater that was Murray. To make a long story short none of the 3 are working this summer. I have tried new gas, changed spark plugs, cleaned air filter and all I do is continue to pull the string and nothing happens. Never in this life time or the next will I purchase anything that says Murray. I may not even purchase a product that starts with an "M"..... Terrible!!!!

Reviewed April 29, 2015

Purchased a Murray 6hp push mower from Home Depot in June of 2014. Cut the grass once and then it would start the next week. Discovered fuel was pouring out from the side of Carb indicating it had a busted diaphragm. I borrowed a mower to cut the grass for the rest of the summer. In Dec of 2014 I ordered and replace the carb. This past week, I filled the fuel tank with new non ethanol and it started right up and began to cut the grass. I shut it off to take a break and once again, it would not run. I can get it to start, but after 30 seconds it shuts off. I can let it set for 10 minutes and it will start right up again and run for 30 seconds and shut off again. Anyone have an answer to this problem. I had to trash a new mower, but I'm tired of fighting this thing.

Reviewed April 22, 2015

I bought a push Murray lawn mower, the first one I bought I could not get it to start. Took it back and got another one. Used it 3 times and it started to sound like a jet plane. Took it back and got my money back. I hope I never buy another Murray push lawnmower, the worst one on the market.

Reviewed April 17, 2015

They do not respond to emails. I have sent at least 3 - no response. Also when trying to locate dealer all are foreign countries, nothing in USA.

Customer ServiceCoverageSales & Marketing

Reviewed April 10, 2015

Purchased 1st Murray push mower a year ago - motor locked—no warranty honored and all service reps. in my area - Englewood, Fl. said hourly high rate to inspect--if fixed. And without checking it - said “junk it” - motor but they wanted me to leave it with them! $$$ - Said “gas/Ethanol--not covered by warranty” -- same line of bs everywhere! Needed a mower right away--Walmart close—sunk another $172.00 plus into same high wheel push mower - motor is vibrating on high to the point of gas cap flies off! Like a jet engine—unsafe! No help anywhere! Murray notified-email as 1 hour & more wait on telephone---no reply! Email - no reply and same no reply from Briggs & Stratton!! Same service situation---big scam to make more money!

I am on social security, over 65 and $730.00 total income! I spent over $300.00 on two mowers and have nothing to mow with! Class action needs brought against both companies! Anyone interested? Enough is enough! Walmart will take back for 30 days -- all this of course happens after bring-back--period--then a run around after that!

Reviewed March 26, 2015

Bought a Murray mower from Walmart mid season 2013. Mower deck started to rust from the bottom by end of season, started using it in 2014 and pine cones and sticks started knocking holes in the rusting deck. Patched the holes with sheet metal and rivets so I could finish the 2014 mowing season. I blamed myself for not cleaning underneath, even though I did nothing different than I have in the last 40 yrs with my mowers and never had this issue.

So I bought another exact same deck and wheel model, but a different engine on this year’s model. Turns out it was not my fault. Mowed the grass on a Tuesday, decided to wash underneath the following Saturday with the garden hose, and 30-40% of the paint came off exposing bare metal. No evidence of primer, just one thin coat of red. This is bad, and should maybe be worthy of a class action suit if others can organize.

Installation & Setup

Reviewed Feb. 26, 2015

I've had nothing but trouble with this mower since I bought it in March 2014. The mower keeps eating/destroying blade drive belts. The mower is currently in the shop for the 2nd time getting the same thing fixed and I'm not looking forward to getting it back. The first time the shop had the mower, it took about 1 1/2 months to get it back, because Murray/MTD was working on redesigning one of the parts and the shop also found that some of the deck parts were installed backwards. I got the mower back, and the first time I tried to use it, the blade belt still kept coming off -- 4 times in 2 1/2 hours of mowing. The mower is still in the shop getting fixed again and I should have it back next week -- OH YEAH :-(

Keep away from any mower made by MTD!!! -- unless you have the patience to have it in the shop more than in your garage. One good thing about the mower is that you don't need much room to store it, because most of the time it doesn't have to be store at your house because it's in the shop being fixed more than in your garage.

Reviewed Dec. 7, 2014

Got an old Murray push mower from my dad 15 years ago and he owned it for 10+ years before that and still running strong today. So I thought it was a good brand so bought a Murray snow blower and found out they don't build 'em like they use to. Spend more time trying to get it going than it takes to clear my 60 yard long drive way. Replaced carb twice in 3yrs and goes through beatings and belts like crazy. Will never waste my money and time on Murray, mtd, or all the cheap box store crap again. Pay a little more for john Deere or simplicity and save yourself the hassle.

Reviewed Sept. 28, 2014

Murray Select 405000x8E riding mower, it stalls randomly while cutting on flat lawn. Very annoying especially if you don't have all day to cut .5 acre lawn! I checked everything from wires to plugs and everything looks fine. I cleaned the carb and plug and filter and still dies randomly on me. One day it will run fine and one it will just be a major PITA. I can't find anything on Google or Bing about this issue and it kind of sucks since it’s not an unpopular model. Just terrible.

Price

Reviewed Sept. 25, 2014

I bought my Murray Push Mower with Briggs & Stratton 625e engine 26 months ago. Just got it back from the shop. Problem was swollen needle valve due to use of fuel with ethanol. Most fuel these days has ethanol. And compared to the cost of the mower, needle valves not affected by ethanol cost just pennies more. This is a case of product failure being engineered into the product and of shoddy corporate ethics. Do not buy a Murray push mower with a Briggs & Stratton engine.

Coverage

Reviewed Sept. 18, 2014

I purchased a brand new Murray lawnmower from Home Depot several years ago. After cutting my grass for the first time, I tilted over the lawnmower to rinse off the bottom. I had done that before with our lawnmower as a teenager without any problems. However, when I did it with the Murray, oil began leaking from the engine. No problem. I took it back to Home Depot because it was under warranty and I had assumed that the engine would be properly assembled. Once Home Depot did the repair, I was told it was not covered under the warranty so I had to pay for it. Right now, the mower burns out spark plugs after about 3 or 4 grass cutting sessions. But I did get a replacement but it was not a Murray.

Coverage

Reviewed Sept. 16, 2014

I have had this mower since March 2013. When I bought it it sat in my building outside for about a month before I used it. The first use was wonderful! 2 weeks later while using it the belt came off from around the pulley on the deck. After several times of this the belt broke. I'd only had the mower a few months! Bought a new beltput on and it continues to happen! Thank God I bought the extended warranty at Wal-Mart where I purchased it and explained what was happening.

I was told that a certain company would call me and set up a time to pick it up. They did and when it was brought back after several weeks, he said it was fixed. As it was coming off his trailer I saw the front end where the paint was off! He said that it ran into another mower while he was loading it! He said, "I'm sorry about that but it'll be fine, you'll probably get it scratched up along the way!" No offer to fix it or nothing!

After 2 times cutting the belt came off and has continued since! Every time it comes off mind you it saws on the belt and it soon breaks! Going to buy my 3rd belt at almost 40.00 a pop because belts are NOT covered! I have had 3 foot surgeries and I can NO longer push my yard so I spent over 12,000.00 on this mower thinking it would last me many years. Boy was I wrong! I will never ever buy a Murray product again! VERY DISSATISFIED CUSTOMER! AND REGRET I EVER BOUGHT IT! Please don't ever consider buying this mower, you'll regret it majorly! Shame on you Murray for selling such a messed up product!

Reviewed Aug. 25, 2014

Got my Murray push mower last May 2013. Within two months, I had a major oil leak. The process of getting it fixed was a hassle. So got that issue resolved. Then a few months after that it up and quit, decided on its own one day to fire back up. So here I am again, August 2014, and my mower has died again. It was working fine a week ago or so after putting it up. Went to mow the yard today and it will not start. Put a new plug and filter in today to see if any of that would help. The mower still will not run. Very disappointed from the get-go with this lawn mower and seriously doubt I would buy another Murray.

Reviewed Aug. 25, 2014

Every time you have to use, you should expect to work on it first & when you get done. In 8 months, the rubber flap on the back at the bottom has fell off, wheel adjusters are broke on both sides, both back wheels are ready to fall off & won't tighten down.

Customer ServiceSales & MarketingPriceStaff

Reviewed July 19, 2014

I bought this lawn mower on July/2013 with three years WalMart product care plan. First it works well for a few grass cuts. After a whole winter sleep in my garage, in April/2014 when I want re-use it to cut my yard grass again, it cannot starting. I tried all the methods as the manual said as change the new gas, wash the filter, etc., but still cannot starting.

I filed the claim online and called the 877-968-6391, and asked them for the repair service. But the staff told me since my lawn mower still under the manufacture warranty, and I must go to Briggs & Stratton's service partner for repair. After several calls, I bring my lawn mower to the serviceman, but been told that this problem probably caused by the "gas stale" and not under the Briggs' warranty since it is not the defects of the manufacturer, and I must first pay 25$ for inspection. After find the problem, I should pay 65$/per hr service charge. Therefore I had to bring back the lawn mower to home.

I called the Walmart Care again. The staff told me should contact the Murray, since this lawn mower was produced by Murray. After several calls, I brought the lawn mower to Murray's service partner. Again, almost completely like the Briggs, the Murray also do not warranty for the "Gas Stale" problem, and must charge me like Briggs, and I had to bring back my machine.

I re-called the Care again, the staff told me to bring my machine to another Walmart product care plan's partner service (24 Miles away from my home!), and I had to bring my machine to there. You guess what will happening? The service man told me, "This problem is also not under Walmart's warranty." Walmart just mimic the Briggs and Murray. Even after the two years manufacture warranty end, Walmart won't pay them to repair this problem, and they must charge me 85$, that is half the new machine price!

The serviceman also show me the display sample machine parts. After only 30 days of gas use, there are a lot of deposits on the lawn mower parts, and caused the engine not working. But Briggs denial this is a design defects, neither the manufacturer's warranty! That is why many lawn mower professional sales company do not sell Briggs and Murray's lawn mower any more now!

Now three months past, I like a football played by Walmart's product care plan. My lawn mower still sleep in my garage for no use. The Walmart Product Care Plans write very good: "Protect your purchase above and beyond the manufacturer's limited warranty... If your product fails, simply file a claim online or calling. We are here to help 24 hr a day, 365 days a year... For items $150 and above, our team of experts will either fix your item and ship it back to you, or repair it in your home!" If you want spend money to buy the endless trouble like my experience, just try it!

Reviewed June 28, 2014

Bought a Murray lawn mower less than a month ago at Walmart. Used it three times, went to use it again, wouldn't start. Had it looked at and was told that the oil and gas were mixing. I am very upset as I can't afford to buy another mower at this time nor pay for this one to be fixed. Very very disappointed as this is the 2nd Murray mower I have bought and have been nothing but headaches.

Reviewed May 26, 2014

I purchased a 21-inch gas-powered Murray mower in 2013. The engine runs fine and starts easily. The deck, however, was poorly designed as it will not discharge the grass unless the grass is very short and dry. The grass accumulates at the back edge of the discharge hole and plugs the entire opening in a few minutes. This mower was advertised as being able to cut tall grass but it will not discharge the grass. I will not buy another Murray lawnmower despite seeing some good reviews.

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupPunctuality & SpeedReliability

Reviewed May 24, 2014

The self-propel mechanism on our old Murray mower died after 12 years, and my wife bought a new Murray mower with a Briggs & Stratton engine at a Walmart. We couldn't get past step 1 putting it together because a nut in the lower handle was defective, and we couldn't screw in the bolt holding the handle in place. My wife called the manufacturer to see if they would send us a nut and was refused. They said we had to go through the warranty contractor. The warranty contractor didn't have the nut in stock and would have had to order it from Murray, and by the time they ordered it, Murray shipped it, it got through the mail, and the contractor installed it, our grass would have been waist high.

We contacted our local Walmart, which agreed to take the mower back and gave us a replacement. We assembled the new one without a problem and got it started to see if it would run, and everything looked okay. Yesterday, I started mowing the lawn, and after a few minutes, the side discharge chute came off. I put it back on and resumed mowing. Twenty minutes later it came off again - it simply cannot be locked securely in place. I reattached it, and then the mower would not start. I tried several times, let it rest for a while, and still no go. The troubleshooting section of the manual was no help, and the manual for the engine had no troubleshooting section, but referred you to the Briggs & Stratton website, where in the FAQ I found something about the lawnmower cutting out after 30 minutes because of vapor lock, which can be caused by various things.

I gave up for the time being. About three hours later, I tried again, and the mower started right off. And five minutes later, the discharge chute came off again and the mower died. After I put the chute back on, I found a large wad of grass had accumulated under the mower, presumably because once the chute was off, the grass couldn't be ejected from the side. Once I removed that, the mower started again, and I was finally able to finish. What should have taken no more than an hour and a half used up most of the afternoon and a good chunk of the evening. I would never buy another Murray product. The lawnmower itself has problems, and the manufacturer's customer service is lousy.

It would have been very simple for them to just put the nut from the handle in an envelope and mail it to us; all it needed was an ordinary postage stamp. But no, they were totally inflexible and insisted we go through the warranty contractor, which dragged the process out unacceptably. I'm grateful that Walmart was so accommodating, but I wish we had never gotten this mower in the first place.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

Great mower!! Had to buy a mower when I bought our first home 16 years ago. We bought a Murray and it has ran great. I put the mower way in the fall and when I get it out in the Spring it starts on the second or third pull every time. I have Sears mower and it takes about 10 or 15 min. to get it going. So thanks for making a great mower.