toll free

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We swam in different spa models, testing them out before we purchased one, and it seemed like the Michael Phelps spa had better quality. Even though it's more expensive, it has a feature that allows you to swim against the current, and the current was much smoother instead of having a lot of splashing on your face. And I really appreciate the rep that we worked with. They remember who we are, so it's as close to a friendship as you can get from somebody who's providing a service for you. They made a couple of visits over to our house even though the spa was already installed. We were having a hard time at the beginning getting our chemicals squared away, and the rep would stop by, take a look, test it and provide more chemicals for us. If we have things that we need to discuss, I can text him and he'll respond.

We have an issue going on right now with the color-changing light that goes around the swim and spa area. It is only on one color and you can't get it to rotate at all. We need to get that fixed since summer's coming around and the spa's still under warranty. But the Michael Phelps spa has been a nice addition to our living space. We got the largest combination of a hot tub and a swimming area combined and just having that space to swim in, when we normally wouldn't in our area, is nice. And even through it is small, the kids can still get in there, splash around and have fun during summer even if they're not using it as a swim spa.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had a spa before. It wasn't a Michael Phelps but it was very similar. It was an H2 and the Michael Phelps Swim Spas was the closest we could get to replace the one we had. We had storm damage and had to replace the old one. We got the one with the three jetted seats. It's a little more powerful than my old spa. It doesn't have as many jets but the jetsetter there are better.

The mechanicals are good with the Michael Phelps Swim Spas. However, it loses power, it kicks off. It has done that about 15 times. If you have the swim spa going on full blast and you turn the jets on also, it wants to kick out. It has done it without anything around it. I had it for about a year and now it hasn't done it in the last four months but up until then, I had them come out. It's that circuit breaker. The problem was that on the weak side, it's not taking. You got to get out to reset it and the biggest thing is if it's winter time and I'm gone, and that happened one-time, you take the chance of the thing freezing up and being bad. I called the girl I went through to purchase the things and she was supposed to send something to the manufacturer and I've not heard anything on that. But other than that, it's a very nice piece of equipment and we're very glad we have it.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We got the Momentum Deep Swim. We wanted something that could give us two separate areas so that's why we purchased it. We can exercise and swim in one section and keep it at a certain temperature. Then the other side, we can just relax. It's easy to use but there's a learning curve. If you overfill the swim spa part, then the water flows into the hot tub part and then it no longer becomes two units so we learned to no longer do that.

We also had two problems with it. We had our pump broke. It was leaking and so we have had that replaced in February. We were quite surprised since we only had it for four months that that would happen and this is supposed to be top-of-the-line swim spa. And one of our treads on one of the steps came unglued. We're having that fixed as well. We've had some technical issues with it too. But if there was a problem it was resolved quickly.

We've been enjoying our Momentum Deep Swim spa since we've had it. When you're inside and everything's working, everything is topnotch. The lights look beautiful. But people need to know that it is expensive upfront and there are costs associated with it. So just be prepared that your electrical bill would go up. We're in Ontario and our hydro rates are overrated. But we also went with the special cover, the End 2 End cover, so it does keep things very well-insulated and it's easy to roll.

We use the spa several times a week, one family member does. It's great year round. So if you can afford it, get it. I've got three kids. Because of the swim spa we are all getting out there and exercising and interacting with each other more with the family. Everything has been great and we really like the product. I probably go in the hot tub more than anywhere else.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I purchased the Michael Phelps Swim Spas, the MP Force model, so I could swim at home. I've been a little bit less than happy with the jet. It had a lot of trouble getting it to be directed properly. It would push you more to one side than the other and it still does that when you're freestyle swimming. I found it more successful if you're doing something like a breaststroke or that sort of a stroke. When you're going in the water, you can set yourself up a lot easier and you have a pause to get pushed back.

But when I'm constantly swimming in a regular stroke, it doesn't seem to work very well for me. I've also not been happy with the support of the product from the Minneapolis Store. I live about an hour from Minneapolis. When I first bought the product, they said they're gonna come out to help with the setup and make sure it was working right with the jet to be straight. However, they completely backed out on that. I talked to them at length multiple times about the jet not being straight.

Eventually, they came up with an idea to put some washers on one side to try to straighten it. They also tried sending some shims that potentially could work with the washers. That was useful in terms of the repair person in the store trying to solve the problem. Still, nobody would come to the site to actually see what's going on. Even today, I'd like to know if this is the best way I can do with the product or if there's some other way that I could be using it. I don't know what else I could tweak it with. The service is just disappointing.

On the bright side, I do get to swim the breaststroke in it now. I finally figured out what works and that's great. I swim in the pool and do exercise such as moving with weight resistance. I'm using it quite a bit. The thing I do enjoy is the spa portion. It's nice and large and that was better than expected. I think I might be using it more if I could adjust it right.

Michael Phelps Swim Spas

Hi Karen. I'm so sorry that you've been having issues with your swim spa. Somebody from our customer care team will be in contact with you via email to further discuss the problems you've been having and how we can help get them resolved. Thank you for making us aware of these problems. We appreciate your feedback.

Original review: April 21, 2017

The Swim Spa has not run properly since installation. The wrong cover came with the spa. The wifi motherboard has been replaced. Now I'm fighting to get the propulsion system replaced because the company has shimmed it as high as they can and it still pushes the swimmer to the left. Not very pleased considering how much I paid for this Swim Spa!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Michael Phelps Swim Spas?

Michael Phelps Swim Spas

Hi Ann. I'm so sorry to hear that you are unhappy with your MP Momentum. I see that you've left a voicemail with your dealer, so hopefully they'll be able to help you out - but I'm also going to have one of our customer care representatives reach out to you via email to get some more information and see how we can make sure you are happy with your swim spa. Thank you for your feedback.

Original review: April 13, 2017

I left a VM with the dealer: 1-swim water is 93* and I'm told there's no way to turn down temp. 2-Propulsion is not constant. I'm whacking my hand the front of pool. At first use, I had a bunch of plastic fragments spitting out of the propulsion vent. 3-cover was damaged with a box cutter upon unpacking. Not happy with MP Momentum D 8x19 s/n H170068.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I wanted something close to a pool that my kids could use as I wasn't able to build a swimming pool in my backyard, so I thought Michael Phelps Swim Spa was best. They've been very professional, and anytime I've had a problem, they've been able to answer my question. The fact that it had Michael Phelps' name on it made me feel a little bit better about buying it. The features are wonderful and the quality is great. It looks and feels good. The spa makes it more fun to use my backyard, and when I have kids over, they all enjoy it. It's great for doing water aerobics. I wish I had more time to use it. It's great for older people and the water is warm. The only thing that I would change is that I have to pump the water out to drain it, which is a hassle.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

A year before we made the purchase, we stopped by the showroom and met Jeff. He was very knowledgeable and he ran the Rancho Cordova store. We were going to buy a hot tub first and just thought about this one spa. But, the hot tub that was on display with water in it was in a different store, ran by the same owner, which has since closed. It was in the other store in Rohnert Park, which is a couple of hours to the west. We went there and met their other salesperson in the name of Nick. He was also very knowledgeable and helpful and they happened to have a floor model of the swim spa for sale. It was at that point that we decided instead of buying the floor model hot tub, we wanted a custom hot tub. We got one that matched the floor model Swim Spa that was on display, which we got with a little bit of a discount. Also, I like the consistency of the flow field. It felt more like swimming in the river as opposed to having a jet pointed at you.

Overall, they've taken care of us. Jeff has been responsive but sometimes a little slow to get back to me. But, he has taken care of the things that we needed taken care off. A couple of repairs had to be done. The jets were pointing a little bit to one inside but he took care of that a couple of weeks ago and any other minor things. He's also helped me with the water chemistry as promised. The installation went smoothly. He gave me good recommendations for someone to do the patio and work on electrical work, which is a big part of getting these things installed properly. His recommendations both worked out well as far as local contractors to do that work. It wasn't cheap but it was done in high quality and we had to work out the timing so that everything could come into place.

Joe went the extra mile to get me the hot tub delivered before Christmas. I had ordered it back in October. He said five to six weeks so we would have the thing by early December. I had the patio ready in the second of December and he told me the hot tub was manufactured. He said, "Wait for it to get on the truck." But, the factory ran into some problems such that he couldn't get a full container of stuff that he likes to ship out here. He says that he paid for the thing to get shipped just by itself. It costed him a lot more but he wanted me to have it before Christmas. He did step up and do that but there were some mysterious days when he couldn't even find out the status of the shipment, whether it had left the factory or not. There was no support communication with the shipping company that he was having a hard time tracking it. So, up until the day it was delivered, we didn't know for sure if it was going to get here in time.

'm quite satisfied on the whole. We paid top dollar for what should be high quality and they have performed. But there's been a few little things like a light that went out over here. We also had a hard time getting the Wifi to work over there but we got it all worked out. And the pool thing not going straight, Joe said, "Well, sometimes the board works, it never happens with the new model." But, that doesn't give me a lot of confidence and it's only guaranteed for a year. Then, Joe had to close two of his stores out of three so I'm a little concerned if he'll go out of business at some point and then we won't have any follow up service. Also, while you're in the swim mode there is a fundamental feature of Michael Phelps Swim Spa and we did have a problem with that. It has apparently been fixed that's why I had a long term concern about how it's going to hold up. It hasn't been flawless, but the problem has been solved.

All ended well. We have the spa delivered and everything is working now. We were content with it. Joe has also worked with us as far as giving us some accessories at a reasonable price that go on it, like spare rings and things that we needed. The service has been good. Whenever we had asked for things, it was delivered.

I love the swim spa and hot tub. The two issues I have are the cost of the electrical over the winter and the ease of setting the swim 'speed'. We were told our electric bill would go up about $50. It went up $300 over the winter months compared to the last 10 years in this home. Summer the cost is up around $75 per month. The other issue is the ease of setting the swim speed. We had the controller replaced once already, but it still does not like to work easily. The numbers start to go up and then reset to 0 and you have to restart. You have to press each number very slowly and carefully and hold your breath that it doesn't jump back to zero. The actual spa is truly wonderful and we love it. We are building a greenhouse over the spa (18' by 36') to create a warmer environment for more comfortable year around use and hopefully will help with the electric bill.

Michael Phelps Swim Spas

Hi Nicole. We're so happy that you are enjoying the spa itself, however we're sorry that your dealer experience was less than satisfactory. One of our representatives will be in contact with your dealer to ensure that you get great service from here on out. Thank you for your feedback! We appreciate it.

Original review: April 6, 2017

We are happy with our swim spa, with the exclusion of fading and peeling stickers and one light not working. However, our delivery was a nightmare, as well as the setup experience and the follow through from master spas rep that initially represented us at our sales experience, but didn't follow through with offers made at the initial meeting. Also the description of options of the case and mechanisms was not accurate or well explained. The spa itself is amazing. We would recommend it to others but not the retail/delivery company or your rep.

Michael Phelps Swim Spas

Hi Glenda! We're so happy to hear that you are enjoying your Michael Phelps Swim Spa from Master Spas! Our swim spas do wonders when it comes to easing your aches and pains. It's great to know that you have experienced that first hand! Thank you for your kind review.

Original review: April 4, 2017

I had several back injuries so I bought a Michael Phelps Swim Spa and it has absolutely helped with my back issues whenever I use it. I'm still getting used to it but it works great so far and I really like it. I would definitely recommend it.

Michael Phelps Swim Spas

Hi Jan! We're sorry that you haven't been able to get in contact with your dealer. We will reach out to him and make sure this issue is resolved. Thank you for making us aware of the problem and thank you for your honest feedback.

Original review: April 3, 2017

I was sold my spa by John ** in Chattanooga TN. I have been happy with the product, but I have not been able to get any help from John. When we delivered my spa a year ago, the snaps a part of the cover came off the truck and was damaged or lost. He said he would send me replacements. To date I have not received them; and I can even get a response from him. I have emailed and texted him on several occasions and no response what so ever. I guess once he had my money that was the end of his concern.

Michael Phelps Swim Spas

Hi Laval, the exercise equipment attachments are sold separately.

Original review: April 3, 2017

I didn't receive the cross bar that is demo on your video. The demo shows the swimmer holding the bar and exercising, is there a separate charge for this bar or was an oversight? Cheat sheet how to quick setup spa?

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We have the Michael Phelps Signature spa and it's very good. We have the underwater mats, which we like. And the steps going down and the molded seats are very nice, which were all things that a lot of the competitors didn't have. Support from the dealer, Atlanta Spa & Leisure, was also very good. They answered all my questions. I called them multiple times and they were very good in helping out, even though they're quite far away. The other ones we'd looked at were much farther away, where the dealers were, and some of them didn't have a real good support network.

The display screens of the spa are poor, though. In the sunlight, where it almost always is when you're outdoors, they really fade out and get very difficult to see. That part could definitely be improved. I have had trouble hooking up the wireless feature, but that may be my home network, so I'm doing some stuff to remedy that. Overall, the quality of the spa looks good. The cost is up there, it's with the most expensive ones so I expected the quality to be as high. I think it's in line but I don't think it's a bargain. The spa is enjoyable. We use it three to four times a week. I like to work out and then go for a swim. I'd recommend them. It's been a very good, positive experience.

Michael Phelps Swim Spas

Hi Miriam! We're so happy to hear that John has been so helpful with learning how to take care of your spa. We're glad you're enjoying it. Thank you for the feedback!

Original review: April 2, 2017

John ** has always been responsive to my questions... I did nothing initially winterize my spa correctly the first time and the manifold cracked. But I have it done professionally now and all is fine. There is a learning curve that comes with owning a swim spa.

Michael Phelps Swim Spas

Hi Scott! Thank you for the 5 star rating. We're glad you're enjoying it and that the delivery and set-up went smoothly.

Original review: April 2, 2017

MP 19D- Delivery went very well. Set up easy. Trouble free maintenance. Learn that we had to drain after 6 months when it went green during an unusually warm spell in the winter. Chemical use is low when cold and got caught not checking it during non use.

Michael Phelps Swim Spas

Hi Susan - I'm sorry you feel this way. I've forwarded this review and your previous review to our customer care department. They will be in contact with you as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Original review: April 1, 2017

We bought the MP swim spa at a spa event. They were eager to sell us the spa. The installation was a good experience, but we did not have any help in setting up the spa. We had to pay someone to help us. The jets did not work well, the touch screen also was very difficult to work. It was a very big disappointment. It was difficult getting in and out of the spa. In the end we traded it in for a smaller spa. Would not recommend the MP spa to anyone.

Michael Phelps Swim Spas

Hi Eric, I'm sorry that your having issues with the current and propulsion as well as our app. One of our customer care representatives will be reaching out to you shortly so that we can help get these issues resolved. Thank you for the honest review.

Original review: April 1, 2017

After struggling with an uneven current, getting a shim put in, having some partial success, I still am struggling with tethers in order to try to make swimming in it a decent exercise. The current moves around based on churn in the water, it can bias towards one side of the spa for a long time before it corrects and that only happens if I am not swimming. There is just not a good return system for the water. I feel like I wasted a lot of money because I could have purchased a spa, with no propulsion for half the price and used a tether.

I am still trying, but it is a frustration every day.. Oh and also the APP is complete **. It is buggy, crashes, sometimes I have to shut off my spa at the breaker box in order to get it re-init and connect again. I have all sorts of orphaned workouts and users that show on the spa, but not the app. That was one of my big hopes, differences as to why I bought a master spa product. I know how apps work in great detail and can tell very little effort was put into testing and I haven't ever seen an update.

Michael Phelps Swim Spas

Hi Scott - I'm so sorry to hear that you're having these issues. We want to make sure that you get your swim spa up and running properly, so someone from our customer care team will reach out to you as soon as possible. Thank you for your honest review.

Original review: April 1, 2017

The flapper plastic design is bad. Keeps breaking, almost impossible to get on. It does a bad job catching trash. The spouts for fountain hard to get off and one I can't. It's clogged. The cover been replaced. It's still holding water and trash. It's too long of a run to keep the cover panel. Always holding water.

Michael Phelps Swim Spas

Hi Susan, we're so sorry that you are disappointed with your Michael Phelps swim spa. We care about our customers and want to make sure they're well taken care of, so we're going to have someone from our customer care team reach out to you so that we can help resolve these issues. Thank you for your review.

Original review: March 29, 2017

Michael Phelps Swim Spas was the only one that has that particular proportion in the swimming part of it. We bought it from a fair and the guy we bought it from told us to call him anytime, but he was too busy to talk anytime we called him. He said he was gonna come over and help us to set it up, but he didn't. I called the company, they gave me a name, and we paid this guy to come put in a lifter and help us. The swim spa was not as good as we thought it would be. People see on TV where they're swimming away and it didn't happen that way. We had a swim spa before and the jets were a lot better than what when we had our Michael Phelps. Also, its touchscreen didn't always work.

Michael Phelps Swim Spas

We're so happy that you're enjoying your Michael Phelps swim spa! It's great to hear that you're getting so much use out of both the swimming and hot tub aspects of the swim spa - and we're glad that the Master Spas customer service team was able and willing to help you with what you needed. Thank you for your feedback! We appreciate it.

Original review: March 20, 2017

Michael Phelps Swim Spas was the only one that I personally could keep up with. The propulsion system was fantastic. Beyond the propulsion itself, my wife certainly enjoys the hot tub portion. We also have a young daughter who’s going to enjoy the laminar fountains. And the touch displays are certainly much more convenient than analog dials. We did go for a couple of test swims in other models and we found the jetted type of propulsion to be largely inadequate.

We’ve owned the piece for about four weeks now, and yesterday was the first day we were able to use the tub. When it was dropped off, we had an issue with the motherboard of the onboard computer, so we had to order a part the day it was delivered. It was a little regrettable, but things like that happen. Nevertheless, the service we received from the tech support line was absolutely fantastic. We called in a few times, spoke with some really helpful, friendly gentleman through the customer service line, and that was great. It’s been a great experience with the servicemen as well. They were very professional. So far, the quality of the tub has been fantastic and we’ve had a great experience. We felt the value that we received is what we paid for. We don’t feel that the price was in any way unreasonable. We’d recommend Michael Phelps Swim Spas.

Michael Phelps Swim Spas

Hi Sue! Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear that you're enjoying your swim spa for water therapy and swimming. We appreciate your honesty regarding the temperature control and will be sure to keep that in mind moving forward. In the meantime, we will have someone from our customer care team reach out to you to see if we can help get the temperature regulated.

Original review: March 17, 2017

I've always had a pool, so it just seemed unnatural not to have one. But it's not very practical to have a normal pool where we live in because it's out in the country with wide open spaces and lots of wind and dirt. We had a smaller Michael Phelps Swim Spa in Wisconsin and we liked it. Also, the place where we bought it really recommended Michael Phelps Swim Spas and talked highly of it.

So we got the biggest one with 8 feet by 20 feet total. They're not cheap, but I get what I paid for. I use it more for my physical therapy, but my husband really swims against the current and he's definitely very happy with that in terms of how that works. He routinely swims it about 70% of what it could do. My husband is in really great shape but he doesn't swim longer than 20 minutes on it. If it's turned on the strongest it can go for any length of time and definitely one cannot outswim it. One must be quite an amazing swimmer to be able to swim against it at its highest.

However, it doesn't have that thick plexiglass separation between the swim spa and the hot tub part. And it doesn't do that much in terms of keeping the temperature divided. We don't even turn the heat on the swim part. And that's a lot of water with over 2000 gallons, but it still gets heated up more than we would want it to be because of the spa. It should have a better insulating material between the two to keep the temperature separate. We don't want to swim at the same temperature as in a hot tub. We could get warmed up when we're swimming versus if we’re seating in the spa part. Also, if it's warm outside, the whole thing tends to stay warmer.

We do have one of those solar powered spa covers that raises and lowers it by turning the key, so it's definitely covered if nobody is in there, but there doesn't seem to be a really great differentiation between the temperatures. So it would be wonderful if they do decide to put something different besides that plexiglass, so we could update the spa that we have. Other than that, it's been a really great swim spa. We've had it for a full year now and I really like it. I would definitely recommend it, depending on how one is going to use it. I see it more as a fitness thing, which is perfect for us, not necessarily for recreational kind of swimming.

Michael Phelps Swim Spas Company Profile